Marketo
Badge 1395888326

Marketo

133 8.0 / 10
Compare Request a Demo
Powerful and easy B2B marketing automation software that helps marketing and sales professionals drive revenue and improve marketing accountability.

Marketo Reviews (138)

0 gnyat9kym4qs1hnvjvxmtnnhjz glhfv0qemtvn86ob mkrsakmjfzgmcvij f69yvyfm hbvnyc
Ben Beck
Marketo offers a lot of features to help businesses take their online marketing efforts to new heights via email markting, web marketing (including landing pages,... Read More
0 5r4eh71wo2jfaw7q5yemhdbn6fzbasoqfm2zhdrnjwubadd6djhqqskzhg4ese0ek4vnfecouc4w
Michele Aymold
Administrator in Human Resources
Validated Review

Marketo provides balance of full-featured performance with ease of use.

What do you like best?

1. Great ease of use for creation of campaigns. Marketo enables the use of templated landing pages and emails to make it easy to create messages and landing pages.

2. The new engagement program capability makes it easy to create drip campaigns that deliver the right content at the right time in the sales process.

3. Webhooks and API capabilities that enable me to integrate Marketo and import and export to and from other applications..

4. There is a terrific user community that provides an opportunity to engage with others--both via face-to-face user group meetings as well as online. Other users are very willing to engage and provide answer and advice.

5. The progressive profiling capabilities enable shorter forms while maximizing data collection--I'm not asking users to provide information they've given us previously

6. There is tremendous flexibility--usually two or three ways to accomplish a task. More experienced users can come up with some really creative and...

What do you dislike?

1. System can be slow at peak load for complex dynamic list selections.

2. Documentation sometimes trails availability of new features.

Recommendations to others considering the product

First, keep in mind that any marketing automation tool is going to amplify the quality of your underlying marketing strategy. If you have a strong marketing strategy, you'll see more positive results. If your strategy is poor, marketing automation will ensure your poor program is more widely exposed--but probably won't give you more results. Its not a panacea--you still need to think about your marketing strategy before automating.

Second, you'll need a content creation strategy that feeds the nurturing engine. Marketo makes it very easy to offer content in exchange for registration data--but if you don't have the content to offer, you won't get the data.

Third, data quality is important. Plan to spend time either before or after go-live on clearing dead contacts from your database, appending missing data, etc.

What business problems are you solving? What benefits have you realized?

The basic business problems are generating revenue and optimizing the results from marketing programs. I've used Marketo in two different industries and been able to align

In an IT consulting firm, the business problems centered around lead generation and campaign management. We needed to generate leads to keep our sales teams engaged and drive new revenue. Before Marketo, we would run a lead generation campaign--a webinar or event--and sales would get tied up handling only the most active prospects. By the time they got around to the rest, the lead was far less likely to convert.

The other nice use as an IT reseller was to be able to report to partners providing MDF or other marketing funds just what their investment was getting--instead of saying that we did a webinar and signed up X number of people, we could show the nurturing campaign, pipeline, lead status, and overall campaign results.

In a publishing environment, we used Marketo to help drive new...

Hands Down, The Best Marketing Automation Tool Out There

What do you like best?

Whether your organization is small or large, Marketo has the functionality to meet any needs. The platform handles all the main aspects of automation natively and syncs flawlessly with our CRM system. Specific features such as cloning emails and landing pages (just to name one example) have made the made our team at least 2x more productive when creating content for our campaigns.

What do you dislike?

While everything works as it should out of the box, to do some of the fancier things possible with Marketo, you'll need people with coding skills or need to learn them yourself.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Ask as many questions as you can when you're considering options. Marketo will have excellent answers to them all. Marketo is a solution that scales incredibly well with your needs - make sure you think about this.

What business problems are you solving? What benefits have you realized?

I think this question can be expanded on just about every day for us. We're always finding new problems and using Marketo to solve them, but to name a few:

1) Figuring out where leads come from and what they're interested

2) Supporting sales to give them insights into which leads to prospect first as well as the ability to send creative emails on the fly that have tracking links.

3) What programs generate real revenue whether it be through First or Multi-Touch Attribution.

4) The ability to easily deliver new content to leads.

We've been able to spend less time on the 'dirt work' of marketing and focus more on optimizing our current processes.

After 5 years using Marketo, I've seen a good idea evolve into a revolution

What do you like best?

Being with a Marketing Leading software company for 85% of it's corporate life has been a really eye opening experience. I've watched Marketo mature from a small software company in the bay area to a respectable public company leading it's competitors in innovation.

Because I do have such a long experience, I'll be descriptive. As I mention some of the higher level ideas of complex topics please just know that Marketo is a perfect product for a company in any stage of their Marketing evolution. From small one-man bands with big ideas to giant multi-nationals with marketing departments in each country you can manage any level of experience inside of Marketo.

You can make the system as easy or as complex as your business requires. If you read the things below and you're completely clueless as to what I am talking about, NO PROBLEM! Not only do you have a nurturing environment to learn and grow and become more sophisticated in your marketing automation. But you have a ready to...

What do you dislike?

My honest biggest complaint about Marketo is that soon as I get a colleague trained & really cranking out great marketing they realize that they can get a job at any company they want. I will start training 3 new colleagues in 1 month. I've created videos & instruction manuals, but if you built an empire, it can take a task force to keep it maintained as the system evolves.

The development pace can be a whirlwind & the number of undocumented minor tweaks are sometimes really easy to miss. As the UI department has grown & matured the product subtlety shifts & evolves. Which for a power user can sometimes be a jarring but still welcomed experience.

It's possible to integrate Marketo into many different systems & CRMs. Realise when you do so without using one of their Native integrations with SalesForce, Microsoft Dynamics, or SAP, you give up the flexibility of a native integration. You can spend forever tweaking & fine tuning, but as you grow as a marketer, it's harder if you...

Recommendations to others considering the product

Everything is a Program. Never put lose assets in different corners of the system, group all like things together in one place, a Marketo Program.

Today the Engagement module launches. This will completely change lead nurturing. Before you had to create complex rules to make sophisticated lead nurturing systems. Now ever marketer with Marketo will be able to create a simple nurturing track for their prospects or customers to engage with their content evenly overtime instead of in churn & burn ad hoc emailings.

My ultimate recommendation : Join the Marketing Nation. We are all in this together, join the Marketo community & share best practices with other users. Draw upon the excellent Support, Services & Success departments as you need their different resources. With Marketo they've got your back, no questions asked, always looking to bring you to a higher, better skill level with your own Marketing. And they've seen it all. Someone there has experience with anything you've...

Powerful Marketing Automation with best-in-class Salesforce Sync

What do you like best?

We chose Marketo based on it's ability to sync every five minutes with SalesForce. A feature that we have found works (almost) flawlessly. Having an entire copy of your SalesForce data give you the power to quickly build, send, and automate campaigns that are targeted based on almost anything that exists in SalesForce. The customer community is also fantastic with scores of people ready and willing to answer questions.

One of my favorite features is the Lead Activity Record which stores every single change or activity performed on a person by person basis as well as what campaign caused the change, By taking a brief look at the activity record, you can quickly see exactly how their lead score cam to be 100.

What do you dislike?

The initial training was not as comprehensive or as in-depth as I would have hoped. We had to spend quite a bit of time just stumbling around in the dark. Also, I wish they would complete just a little bit more of their roadmap every year. Sometimes you hear about new features that take quite a while to become a reality.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Whenever you choose to first implement a marketing automation solution, realize that it will take you months to define many of the processes that you have currently or need. However, once these are implemented, the time savings are significant.

What business problems are you solving? What benefits have you realized?

Since we are a holdings company and our marketing department manages marketing efforts across all of our companies, Marketo has provided us a standardized platform so many of the back-end systems are consistent. It allows us to have almost everything customized for each of these groups.

Since many of our campaigns can now be set and forget, it also saves us a ton of time on a monthly basis.

My experience with Marketo

What do you like best?

I'm used both Marketo and Eloqua extensively. I have been admin over both systems for the last 2 years. Having used Eloqua, the "Cadillac" of marketing automation I've got a good insight into what Marketo is and is not.

Marketo is easy to use, quick to setup and an all around good medium level tool. It does everything my company (80 employees) needs, though I do have to hack it and build work arounds frequently to get more advanced functionality out of it. Overall though, I LOVE Marketo and think it's a great tool for the majority of SMBs.

What do you dislike?

Having used Eloqua, I know how nice their campaign/program builder is. You can drag and drop build your campaigns on a canvas type layout. It's great because it's easy, gives a better top down view of your campaign, and helps you display a campaigns functionality to your executive team. Infusionshoft has something similar. Why Marketo hasn't adopted a similar format for building programs is beyond me.

A few other beefs I have with Marketo are:

1. Form and Landing Page Builder are pretty bad. Marketo has admitted that these two pieces of their tool are the only remaining remnants of their original tool (which wasn't even for marketing automation BTW... Marketo's first tool was an Adwords management interface). Marketo has also said they're aware the form/landing page builders are junky and have said they're going to be rolling out new versions though they wouldn't commit to a timeline for roll out.

2. Their API is weak sauce. I wanted to bring some of our customer renewal emails...

Recommendations to others considering the product

For most SMBs I'd suggest using Marketo over Eloqua, Silverpop, Pardot, or other marketing automation suites. i've used Eloqua heavily, and while the tool is powerful, the overall interface (even the E10 interface which I have used) still falls short of what Marketo offers. I've evaluated both Silverpop and Pardot and both of those don't offer the bang for buck that Marketo does.

If budget is a real concern to you you may want to try ActOn. I set it up for a client and it fits their needs quite well, though their needs aren't that great.

If you are a newer company and sell stuff, and don't need to use SalesForce for a CRM I'd suggest InfusionSoft. InfusionSoft is more affordable than Marketo though it too lacks some of the Marketo functionality.

All around, I'm please with Marketo as a tool and even more pleased with it as a company. Though I've had some limited support issues with Marketo, they are generally responsive. As a company they're doing some awesome things and...

Tags

* We monitor all Marketo reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.
As Featured in