Best 3D Painting Software
3D painting software enables user to add color and detail to 3D objects created with 3D modeling software. These products provide various paintbrush tools and colors to customize models, as well as sculpting and texturing functions to add depth and detail to characters and environments. These products are often used by animators and graphic designers to prepare models for implementation in games, movies, and other forms of media, as well as 3D rendered images. 3D painting tools are often included as a feature in 3D modeling programs, but can also be sold as standalone solutions.
To qualify for inclusion in the 3D Painting category, a product must:
- Be included in or import images from 3D modeling programs
- Provide a variety of brushes and tools for painting, sculpting, and detailing 3D models
- Allow users to save in-progress and finished projects for immediate use or to be uploaded into 3D rendering or animation platforms
3D Painting Software Grid® Overview
The best 3D Painting Software products are determined by customer satisfaction (based on user reviews) and scale (based on market share, vendor size, and social impact) and placed into four categories on the Grid®:
- Products in the Leader quadrant are rated highly by G2 Crowd users and have substantial Market Presence scores. Leaders include: Mudbox and ZBrush
- High Performers are highly rated by their users, but have not yet achieved the market share and scale of the Leaders. High Performers include: 3D Coat
- Contenders have significant Market Presence and resources, but have received below average user Satisfaction ratings or have not yet received a sufficient number of reviews to validate the solution. Contenders include: Sculptris
- Niche solutions do not have the Market Presence of the Leaders. They may have been rated positively on customer Satisfaction, but have not yet received enough reviews to validate them.