Best Application Server Software
Application servers provide a framework to build and deploy web applications and offer a variety of services when running such applications. These services include security, transactions, clustering for increased performance, and diagnostic capabilities, among others. These products can also include servers that strictly host web applications. Application servers are used by software developers who are trying to quickly build applications and have them supported by the server environment in which they are deployed. These products allow developers to focus on the application itself and spend less time focusing on outside issues, such as performance or security. Application servers can run in conjunction with relational databases and a variety of web frameworks.
To qualify for inclusion in the Application Server category, a product must:
- Provide a software framework for building and deploying web applications
- Offer services to support an application within the hosting server environment
Application Server Software Grid® Overview
The best Application Server Software products are determined by customer satisfaction (based on user reviews) and scale (based on market share, vendor size, and social impact) and placed into four categories on the Grid®:
- Products in the Leader quadrant are rated highly by G2 Crowd users and have substantial Market Presence scores. Leaders include: Oracle WebLogic, RedHat Jboss Enterprise, Apache Server, Apache Tomcat, and IIS 7.5
- High Performers are highly rated by their users, but have not yet achieved the market share and scale of the Leaders.
- Contenders have significant Market Presence and resources, but have received below average user Satisfaction ratings or have not yet received a sufficient number of reviews to validate the solution.
- Niche solutions do not have the Market Presence of the Leaders. They may have been rated positively on customer Satisfaction, but have not yet received enough reviews to validate them. Niche products include: IBM WebSphere Application Server on Cloud