Best Computer-Aided Engineering (CAE) Software
Computer-Aided Engineering (CAE) software, also referred to as simulation software, supports engineering analysis tasks. CAE software encompass finite element analysis (FEA), computational fluid dynamics (CFD), multibody dynamics (MDB), and optimization capabilities. CAE software enables users to simulate, validate, and optimize products and manufacturing tools. Some CAE products allow users to model discrete events, while others can model continuous events. Some CAE products are hybrid simulators that can model both continuous and discrete events.
CAE products are used for both academic and industrial applications across a variety of industries such as communications and agriculture. Many CAE products offer a wide range of functionality in the form of all-purpose multiphysics platforms that can be applied to a diverse range of use cases. Some fit-for-purpose CAE systems provide more limited functionality in a single area such as for modeling network or mechanical structures. CAE products is frequently implemented with other CAx applications, such as Computer-Aided Design (CAD) and Computer-Aided Manufacturing (CAM) software, to support an organization’s product lifecycle management (PLM).
To qualify for inclusion in the Computer-Aided Engineering category, a product must:
- Enable users to create product and structure simulations through an graphical user interface (GUI)
- Allow users to test and verify components of a simulation with customizable environmental variables
- Help users optimize process or product development
Computer-Aided Engineering (CAE) Software Grid® Overview
The best Computer-Aided Engineering (CAE) Software products are determined by customer satisfaction (based on user reviews) and scale (based on market share, vendor size, and social impact) and placed into four categories on the Grid®:
- Products in the Leader quadrant are rated highly by G2 Crowd users and have substantial Market Presence scores. Leaders include: MATLAB, Mathematica, NI Multisim, SimEvents, Simulink, and HyperWorks
- High Performers are highly rated by their users, but have not yet achieved the market share and scale of the Leaders.
- Contenders have significant Market Presence and resources, but have received below average user Satisfaction ratings or have not yet received a sufficient number of reviews to validate the solution.
- Niche solutions do not have the Market Presence of the Leaders. They may have been rated positively on customer Satisfaction, but have not yet received enough reviews to validate them. Niche products include: SimScale, NEi Nastran, and NetLogo