Best Computer-Assisted Translation Software
Computer-assisted translation (CAT) software translates one language to another using translation memory—which stores previously translated texts—or crowd assistance to provide translations that are consistent with previously used language to ensure proper spelling, grammar, and phrasing. CAT software provides a more streamlined and interactive editing platform compared to simple word-for-word machine translation software. Computer-assisted translation software assists translators, helping them translate texts more efficiently and accurately with tools such as translation memory, phrase directories, and other terminology-related databases. Computer-assisted translation products often integrate with translation management software, allowing translation service providers to collaborate with translators and keep translation texts organized.
To qualify for inclusion in the Computer-Assisted Translation category, a product must:
- Use concepts of translation memory to store language information
- Segment text for translators to edit
- Produce grammar and spell-checked translated copy
- Provide tools for editing translated text
- Provide tools for quality analysis of translated text
- Analyze translation quality and effectiveness
Computer-Assisted Translation Software Grid® Overview
The best Computer-Assisted Translation Software products are determined by customer satisfaction (based on user reviews) and scale (based on market share, vendor size, and social impact) and placed into four categories on the Grid®:
- Products in the Leader quadrant are rated highly by G2 Crowd users and have substantial Market Presence scores. Leaders include: SDL Trados Studio
- High Performers are highly rated by their users, but have not yet achieved the market share and scale of the Leaders. High Performers include: Smartcat
- Contenders have significant Market Presence and resources, but have received below average user Satisfaction ratings or have not yet received a sufficient number of reviews to validate the solution.
- Niche solutions do not have the Market Presence of the Leaders. They may have been rated positively on customer Satisfaction, but have not yet received enough reviews to validate them. Niche products include: memoQ