Best Course Authoring Software
Course authoring software products allow organizations to create engaging and interactive multimedia content for educational purposes. Course authoring software is used by to develop training courses and content that can be consumed in either a corporate or more traditional educational setting. Learning content management systems (LCMS), which are course authoring tools built specifically as a tool for educational institutions, are currently included in the scope of course authoring. Organizations use course authoring tools to prepare educational material that can be administered with learning management systems (LMS) or corporate LMS software to create unique educational programs for employees or students. Course authoring solutions are commonly implemented in HR departments and at educational institutions, enabling administrators to create educational content with no programming knowledge. Course authoring solutions can be either cloud-based or installed on-premise, and many follow the Sharable Content Object Reference Model (SCORM) as a set of standards and specifications for integrating content with LMS software. Additionally, many course authoring products are built on top of presentation software to provide users with a familiar format for creating course content.
To qualify as a course authoring solution, a product must:
- Provide a system through which users can create interactive multimedia content
- Allow users to publish course material to third-party or built-in learning management systems
Course Authoring Software Grid® Overview
The best Course Authoring Software products are determined by customer satisfaction (based on user reviews) and scale (based on market share, vendor size, and social impact) and placed into four categories on the Grid®:
- Products in the Leader quadrant are rated highly by G2 Crowd users and have substantial Market Presence scores. Leaders include: Brainshark, Litmos by CallidusCloud, Lessonly, Articulate Storyline, Articulate Studio, iSpring Suite, and Articulate 360
- High Performers are highly rated by their users, but have not yet achieved the market share and scale of the Leaders.
- Contenders have significant Market Presence and resources, but have received below average user Satisfaction ratings or have not yet received a sufficient number of reviews to validate the solution. Contenders include: Adobe Captivate and Adobe Presenter
- Niche solutions do not have the Market Presence of the Leaders. They may have been rated positively on customer Satisfaction, but have not yet received enough reviews to validate them. Niche products include: Knovio, SkyPrep, Lectora Inspire, SoftChalk Cloud, Lectora Publisher, and Thought Industries