Best Desktop Database Software
Desktop databases are databases that run on individual computers and can store a variety of smaller data sets. These databases have much simpler functionality than larger network databases or data warehouses. However, these databases are beneficial because users without in-depth database knowledge can create, develop, and deploy desktop applications all within the database. Users can also create tables, queries, and reports to track data. These products are most frequently used by small businesses interested in storing smaller amounts of data which is only accessed by a small number of users. Desktop databases can be both a relational database or a NoSQL database in nature. Professionals looking for an affordable alternative for their desktop database can look to free database software.
To qualify for inclusion in the Desktop Database category, a product must:
- Be installed and store data sets on a single PC or computer
- Provide the ability to create, develop and deploy desktop applications without extensive database knowledge
Desktop Database Software Grid® Overview
The best Desktop Database Software products are determined by customer satisfaction (based on user reviews) and scale (based on market share, vendor size, and social impact) and placed into four categories on the Grid®:
- Products in the Leader quadrant are rated highly by G2 Crowd users and have substantial Market Presence scores. Leaders include: Microsoft Access and Filemaker, Inc.
- High Performers are highly rated by their users, but have not yet achieved the market share and scale of the Leaders.
- Contenders have significant Market Presence and resources, but have received below average user Satisfaction ratings or have not yet received a sufficient number of reviews to validate the solution.
- Niche solutions do not have the Market Presence of the Leaders. They may have been rated positively on customer Satisfaction, but have not yet received enough reviews to validate them. Niche products include: OpenOffice Base