Best Domain Registration Providers
Domain registration service providers, also referred to as domain registrars, help businesses reserve Internet domain names. Domain registration services are used by organizations to process domain name registration and reserve domain names for a set period of time, typically one or two years. Domain registration providers frequently offer a domain search service to users, which allows them to search for domains and check for their availability.
Domain registration services are used by all organizations that wish to create and maintain a website, or to reserve a domain name for future business opportunities. Domain registrars also provide domain transferral services to transfer reserved domains to a new designated registrar, while some provide domain parking services to host a simple web page or advertising space visible by traffic to the site. Registrars of top-level and second-level domains are administered and accredited by the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN), a nonprofit organization that manages the Domain Name System. Some website hosting providers also offer domain registration to help organizations manage their domain names within a hosting package.
To qualify as a domain registration provider, a service provider must:
- Provide a searchable domain registry of available domain names
- Process domain name registration on behalf of customers to reserve a domain
- Offer services to help customers transfer domains to or from other registrars
- Be properly accredited by the appropriate domain registry administrative bodies
- Facilitate web domain SSL certification
Domain Registration Providers Grid® Overview
The best Domain Registration Providers products are determined by customer satisfaction (based on user reviews) and scale (based on market share, vendor size, and social impact) and placed into four categories on the Grid®:
- Products in the Leader quadrant are rated highly by G2 Crowd users and have substantial Market Presence scores. Leaders include: GoDaddy, Register.com, namecheap, DreamHost, Bluehost, Google Domains, and Amazon Route 53
- High Performers are highly rated by their users, but have not yet achieved the market share and scale of the Leaders. High Performers include: Hover and DNSimple
- Contenders have significant Market Presence and resources, but have received below average user Satisfaction ratings or have not yet received a sufficient number of reviews to validate the solution. Contenders include: Network Solutions, 1&1, and HostGator
- Niche solutions do not have the Market Presence of the Leaders. They may have been rated positively on customer Satisfaction, but have not yet received enough reviews to validate them. Niche products include: Gandi