Best Game Engine Software
Game engines provide game developers a framework for creating a video game without the need to create all systems, such as the physics, graphics, and AI, from scratch. Game engines help developers save time and resources by removing the need to program and integrate game-supporting systems together, so developers can focus on creating the meat of the game itself. Game development teams use game engines to support them while they program a video game, and the decision of which game engine to use is usually the first step towards actually creating a game. Similar to a software suite, game engines contain many different internal systems such as a physics engine, audio engine, rendering engine, AI, animation, and more. Often, there are plugins or APIs available to customize a game engine, and some game engines come with asset libraries to make it even easier to create a game.
To qualify for inclusion in the game engine category, a product must:
- Be designed specifically for video game creation
- Contain systems to aid game development such as physics or audio engines
- Provide graphics support
Game Engine Software Grid® Overview
The best Game Engine Software products are determined by customer satisfaction (based on user reviews) and scale (based on market share, vendor size, and social impact) and placed into four categories on the Grid®:
- Products in the Leader quadrant are rated highly by G2 Crowd users and have substantial Market Presence scores. Leaders include: Unreal Engine and Unity
- High Performers are highly rated by their users, but have not yet achieved the market share and scale of the Leaders. High Performers include: Construct
- Contenders have significant Market Presence and resources, but have received below average user Satisfaction ratings or have not yet received a sufficient number of reviews to validate the solution.
- Niche solutions do not have the Market Presence of the Leaders. They may have been rated positively on customer Satisfaction, but have not yet received enough reviews to validate them. Niche products include: Blender and GameMaker