Best Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) Providers
What is IaaS?
Infrastructure as a service, or IaaS, is a cloud computing model that provides users with hosted computing infrastructure. With IaaS, third-party vendors provide users with virtual resources, such as server space, network connections, and IP addresses, to host, build, test, and scale websites and applications. Companies often use IaaS clouds as scalable platforms for new applications or expanding existing applications to larger audiences. This avoids long-term investments in hardware and provides location independence. The service tends to function through a pay-as-you-go pricing model, allowing for growth and flexibility. It is used by development teams and systems administrators as an alternative to in-house servers prior to scaling. Instead, hardware is housed across multiple data centers and managed by the provider.
To qualify for inclusion in the Infrastructure as a Service category, a product must:
- Provide virtual computing hardware through cloud hosting
- Provide server space
- Provide network connections
- Create virtual desktops
- Host applications
- Automate system maintenance and backup
Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) Providers Grid® Overview
The best Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) Providers products are determined by customer satisfaction (based on user reviews) and scale (based on market share, vendor size, and social impact) and placed into four categories on the Grid®:
- Products in the Leader quadrant are rated highly by G2 Crowd users and have substantial Market Presence scores. Leaders include: Amazon S3, Microsoft Azure, and DigitalOcean
- High Performers are highly rated by their users, but have not yet achieved the market share and scale of the Leaders. High Performers include: Linode, Netrepid, and Green Cloud Technologies
- Contenders have significant Market Presence and resources, but have received below average user Satisfaction ratings or have not yet received a sufficient number of reviews to validate the solution.
- Niche solutions do not have the Market Presence of the Leaders. They may have been rated positively on customer Satisfaction, but have not yet received enough reviews to validate them. Niche products include: Rackspace Managed Cloud, Google Compute Engine, OpenStack, CloudStack, and Amazon VPC