Best Library Management Software
Libraries rely on library management systems to manage asset collections as well as relationships with their members. Library management systems help libraries keep track of their documents inventory and loans, and member subscriptions and profiles, sometimes for multiple physical locations. This type of software can be used by educational institutions’ libraries, as well as public or private libraries. Library patrons use library management systems to find, reserve, and loan documents while library staffs employ it to manage the acquisition, cataloging, and inventory of documents.
Library management systems usually integrate with digital information repositories to allow access to electronic resources. Library management systems also needs to integrate with accounting solutions to manage payments and other financial transactions.
To qualify for inclusion in the Library Management category, a product must:
- Include a database that can be used to store and manage information on different types of content assets (books, magazines, movies, music records, and more) in different formats (print, electronic, video, etc.)
- Manage patron and member information including profiles, present and past loans, payments, and penalties
- Allow users to find information from public sources like OPAC (Online Public Access Catalog) or WorldCat
- Manage asset inventory and loans across multiple physical locations
- Provide statistics on loans, inventory, late returns, or lost documents
Library Management Software Grid® Overview
The best Library Management Software products are determined by customer satisfaction (based on user reviews) and scale (based on market share, vendor size, and social impact) and placed into four categories on the Grid®:
- Products in the Leader quadrant are rated highly by G2 Crowd users and have substantial Market Presence scores. Leaders include: Destiny Library Manager
- High Performers are highly rated by their users, but have not yet achieved the market share and scale of the Leaders. High Performers include: Apollo ILS/LSP
- Contenders have significant Market Presence and resources, but have received below average user Satisfaction ratings or have not yet received a sufficient number of reviews to validate the solution. Contenders include: Alma
- Niche solutions do not have the Market Presence of the Leaders. They may have been rated positively on customer Satisfaction, but have not yet received enough reviews to validate them. Niche products include: SirsiDynix Symphony and Sierra ILS