Best Mobile Device Management (MDM) Software
Mobile device management (MDM) software is used by businesses to optimize the functionality and security of their fleet of mobile devices, including smartphones and tablets. The intent of MDM is to optimize the functionality and security of mobile devices within the enterprise, while simultaneously protecting the corporate network. By applying custom policies to smartphones and tablets through MDM software, an administrator can regulate both corporate-owned and personally owned devices to the organization’s policies. IT departments use MDM software to monitor, manage, and secure employees’ mobile devices that are deployed across multiple mobile service providers and operating systems, as well as enforce policies and maintain the desired level of IT control. MDM software can limit the risk of lost data, stop unapproved software installs, and prevent unauthorized access to the mobile devices accessing corporate data and networks.
To qualify for inclusion in the Mobile Device Management category, a product must:
- Be compatible with all common or company-issued mobile devices, and support necessary operating systems and platforms
- Function through/with multiple service providers
- Customize, according to company policy and/or requirements.
- Integrate with the already existing IT, administrative, and application systems
- Enable the remote configuration, locking, wiping, detection, and encryption of devices
- Report on device activity
Mobile Device Management (MDM) Software Grid® Overview
The best Mobile Device Management (MDM) Software products are determined by customer satisfaction (based on user reviews) and scale (based on market share, vendor size, and social impact) and placed into four categories on the Grid®:
- Products in the Leader quadrant are rated highly by G2 Crowd users and have substantial Market Presence scores. Leaders include: AirWatch, Meraki Systems Manager, and Jamf Pro
- High Performers are highly rated by their users, but have not yet achieved the market share and scale of the Leaders. High Performers include: Soti MobiControl, ManageEngine Mobile Device Manager Plus, and Hexnode MDM
- Contenders have significant Market Presence and resources, but have received below average user Satisfaction ratings or have not yet received a sufficient number of reviews to validate the solution. Contenders include: BlackBerry Enterprise Mobility Suite (formerly known as Good Secure EMM Suites), MobileIron EMM, Trend Micro Mobile Security, and XenMobile
- Niche solutions do not have the Market Presence of the Leaders. They may have been rated positively on customer Satisfaction, but have not yet received enough reviews to validate them. Niche products include: IBM MaaS360