Best Network Monitoring Software
Network monitoring software provides a baseline and tracks the performance of an overall computer network. These solutions detect problems caused by overuse or issues within the server and network connection. They also measure response time, availability, consistency, reliability, and the overall traffic of a network based on real-time and historical performance data. IT teams can benefit greatly from a network monitoring solution, or even free network monitoring software. If a network crashes or varies from the baseline, the network or IT administrator is alerted. These tools provide data visualization for administrators to increase understanding of the performance metrics. Network monitoring software provides similar functionality to application performance management software, but for an entire network as opposed to a specific web application.
To qualify for inclusion in the Network Monitoring category, a product must:
- Constantly monitor the performance of an entire computer network
- Create a baseline for network performance metrics
- Alert administrators if the network crashes or varies from the baseline
- Suggest solutions to performance issues when they arise
- Provide visualizations for network performance data
Network Monitoring Software Grid® Overview
The best Network Monitoring Software products are determined by customer satisfaction (based on user reviews) and market presence (based on products’ scale, focus, and influence) and placed into four categories on the Grid®:
- Products in the Leader quadrant are rated highly by G2 Crowd users and have substantial Market Presence scores. Leaders include: Cisco Data Center Network Manager, Wireshark, Datadog, VMware vCenter, SolarWinds Network Performance Monitor, Microsoft System Center, and SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer
- High Performers are highly rated by their users, but have not yet achieved the Market Presence of the Leaders. High Performers include: Lansweeper, LogicMonitor, Coralogix, Spiceworks Network Monitor, Intermapper, and NinjaRMM
- Contenders have significant Market Presence and resources, but have received below average user Satisfaction ratings or have not yet received a sufficient number of reviews to validate the solution.
- Niche solutions do not have the Market Presence of the Leaders. They may have been rated positively on customer Satisfaction, but have not yet received enough reviews to validate them. Niche products include: Cacti, Zabbix, PRTG, Nagios Network Analyzer, Ipswitch WhatsUp Gold, and SignalFx