Best Peer Code Review Software
Peer code review software provides the means by which code can be examined by a developer other than its author. Peer code review software allows multiple developers to see changes to the code made by other developers, reducing the risk of bugs, security vulnerabilities, and missed requirements. Peer code review software is used by software development teams in the development phase of a project which is cheaper, faster, easier, and more thorough than doing reviews during the requirements phase, testing phase, or after project delivery. Peer code review software allows developers to not only see code but also the specifics of what code was changed and to comment on those changes. Peer code review software often integrates directly into other tools including version control hosting solutions.
To qualify as a peer code review software system, a product must:
- View specific changes made by a developer
- Allow developers to write comments on specific files and changes
- Send messages when requests for code review happens or code review comments are submitted
Peer Code Review Software Grid® Overview
The best Peer Code Review Software products are determined by customer satisfaction (based on user reviews) and scale (based on market share, vendor size, and social impact) and placed into four categories on the Grid®:
- Products in the Leader quadrant are rated highly by G2 Crowd users and have substantial Market Presence scores. Leaders include: GitHub, Bitbucket, and GitLab
- High Performers are highly rated by their users, but have not yet achieved the market share and scale of the Leaders.
- Contenders have significant Market Presence and resources, but have received below average user Satisfaction ratings or have not yet received a sufficient number of reviews to validate the solution. Contenders include: Microsoft Team Foundation Server
- Niche solutions do not have the Market Presence of the Leaders. They may have been rated positively on customer Satisfaction, but have not yet received enough reviews to validate them. Niche products include: Assembla, Phabricator, and Gerrit