Best POS Restaurant Software
Restaurant point of sale (POS) software provides restaurant and bar servers an easy way to take orders and process payment for multiple checks simultaneously.
With POS software, restaurant managers and owners can meet many of their practical business needs, from managing daily service all the way up to high-level analytics. Orders can be entered either at touchscreen stations or tableside with mobile devices, and servers can easily keep track of their tables, edit orders, easily split checks, and apply discounts. Some products allow communication between servers and the kitchen, allowing them to be aware of inventory shortages and delays. By empowering servers with software that can provide myriad services, they can be more efficient and accommodating for customers.
Many products are meant to be used on mounted tablets or other handheld devices, and can include ticket printers or cash drawers. Managers can also keep track of profits, inventory, menu trends, and other analytics. Certain products will also integrate food-delivery services, so you can either set up your own online ordering platform or work with another provider. POS software is often implemented along with other restaurant management systems like staffing management, inventory management, and finance platforms. Many products can integrate with these systems directly to create a streamlined experience.
To qualify in the restaurant POS category, a product must:
- Take orders from a menu and submit those orders to the kitchen for multiple guests or tables
- Process payments using various methods such as cash, credit or debit card, etc. as well as split checks and add discounts
- Offer secure data access and functionality to protect sensitive data such as customer information and credit card numbers
- Include reporting and analytics to monitor sales indicators for each location, as well as order cancellations
POS Restaurant Software Grid® Overview
The best POS Restaurant Software products are determined by customer satisfaction (based on user reviews) and scale (based on market share, vendor size, and social impact) and placed into four categories on the Grid®:
- Products in the Leader quadrant are rated highly by G2 Crowd users and have substantial Market Presence scores. Leaders include: Aloha POS, Toast, and TouchBistro Restaurant POS
- High Performers are highly rated by their users, but have not yet achieved the market share and scale of the Leaders. High Performers include: Breadcrumb and ShopKeep POS
- Contenders have significant Market Presence and resources, but have received below average user Satisfaction ratings or have not yet received a sufficient number of reviews to validate the solution.
- Niche solutions do not have the Market Presence of the Leaders. They may have been rated positively on customer Satisfaction, but have not yet received enough reviews to validate them. Niche products include: Lavu, Maitre'D, and Dinerware POS