Best POS Retail Software
Retail point of sale (POS) software provides an easy-to-use tool for employees and customers, helping to complete retail transactions in physical locations (stores, showrooms, etc.).
By using POS software, retail employees can find information about products, create sales orders, accept payments, and deliver receipts in an expeditious manner. This helps employees perform more transactions in less time while customers benefit from shorter waiting times at checkout. POS software can also be used to provide information to customers on product availability, pricing, etc. Furthermore, retail managers can use this type of software to monitor retail transactions and analyse sales or inventory data such as volume, amount, or frequency. Some advanced POS solutions may also provide functionality to manage inventory or customer profiles.
POS software is usually installed on dedicated hardware designed and built for it. The main benefit of this type of hardware is that it provides users a tactile screen which simplifies navigation. An increasing number of POS solutions are now available on mobile devices such as tablets or smartphones. To deliver maximum efficiency, POS software integrates with ERP or inventory management solutions to exchange data on products, with CRM for customer information, or with other retail solutions such as supply chain & logistics. POS should not be confused with e-commerce software either, which is exclusively used for online sales.
To qualify for inclusion in the POS software category, a product must:
- Provide access to information about products, inventory, pricing, or transaction history
- Allow customers to pay using various methods such as cash, credit or debit card, etc.
- Manage other types of transactions such as returns, sales cancellation, or exchanges
- Offer secure data access and functionality to protect sensitive data such as customer information and credit card numbers
- Include reporting and analytics to monitor sales indicators for each location, as well as returns or order cancellations
POS Retail Software Grid® Overview
The best POS Retail Software products are determined by customer satisfaction (based on user reviews) and scale (based on market share, vendor size, and social impact) and placed into four categories on the Grid®:
- Products in the Leader quadrant are rated highly by G2 Crowd users and have substantial Market Presence scores. Leaders include: Square, QuickBooksPOS, Shopify POS, and Vend
- High Performers are highly rated by their users, but have not yet achieved the market share and scale of the Leaders. High Performers include: LS Nav
- Contenders have significant Market Presence and resources, but have received below average user Satisfaction ratings or have not yet received a sufficient number of reviews to validate the solution. Contenders include: Oracle Retail Xstore Point-of-Service
- Niche solutions do not have the Market Presence of the Leaders. They may have been rated positively on customer Satisfaction, but have not yet received enough reviews to validate them. Niche products include: Tessitura Software and Lightspeed Retail