Best Prototyping Software
Prototyping software is used to create incomplete or preliminary versions of software and applications. The prototype simulates the final product in order to test, document errors, and deliver feedback. Development teams will use prototyping tools to increase the speed at which they build, test, and iterate their program without the need of developers. The two commonly accepted types of prototypes are horizontal and vertical. Horizontal prototypes are used mainly for user interface testing, while vertical prototypes are more complete and simulate a greater number offunctions. These tests will provide teams with feedback on a variety of components for development and product teams to utilize prior to an official launch. There is crossover between prototyping products and wireframing products, but wireframing tools produce preliminary outlines with significantly less fidelity and functionality.
To qualify for inclusion in the Prototyping category, a product must:
- Provide tools for creating interactive models of final applications
- Possess libraries with frameworks, workflow templates, and symbols
- Provide interface creating and editing tools
- Possess requirements management tools
- Possess feedback and communication components
Prototyping Software Grid® Overview
The best Prototyping Software products are determined by customer satisfaction (based on user reviews) and scale (based on market share, vendor size, and social impact) and placed into four categories on the Grid®:
- Products in the Leader quadrant are rated highly by G2 Crowd users and have substantial Market Presence scores. Leaders include: InVision and Axure RP
- High Performers are highly rated by their users, but have not yet achieved the market share and scale of the Leaders. High Performers include: Flinto, Fluid UI, Proto.io, POP, and Marvel
- Contenders have significant Market Presence and resources, but have received below average user Satisfaction ratings or have not yet received a sufficient number of reviews to validate the solution.
- Niche solutions do not have the Market Presence of the Leaders. They may have been rated positively on customer Satisfaction, but have not yet received enough reviews to validate them. Niche products include: iRise, UXPin, Macaw, Framer Studio, and Pencil