Social media monitoring refers to software designed for marketing departments and organizations to listen to social media platforms. Marketing departments, agencies, and consultants benefit by being alerted to keyword usage, being able to respond to customer inquiries instantly, and understanding customer sentiment as it relates to their own and competitors’ brands. Social media monitoring tools have grown in recent years from purely offering listening features to include rich analytics, dashboard creation, and powerful queries with semantic analysis.
Compare Best Social Media Monitoring SoftwareG2 Crowd helps you compare the best Social Media Monitoring Software products. You can compare products on the Grid, or by selecting any of the products for a side-by-side comparison. In addition, you can download the full report for more detailed information about Social Media Monitoring Software products. Only products with 10 or more reviews are included in the Grid. For a full list of products, click on the Products tab.
G2 Crowd Grid for Social Media Monitoring
Buying Considerations in Social Media Monitoring
- Understand your goals
- Social media monitoring or listening platforms can serve a lot of different needs. Some of the most popular are:
- Monitoring your brand and marketing campaigns
- Community engagement
- Customer care
- Sales and lead generation
- Sources monitored
- You may need to just monitor some key social channels or you may need to monitor the entire web. It depends on where you are developing your key communities and how comprehensive a view you want of your brand's health.
- Ability to respond
- Often listening tools are purely for monitoring and do not give you the ability to respond to content. If your use case is primarily for customer care or community engagement, you are going to want to respond to people in real time.
- Data quality and power
- If you are planning to run queries that will have lots of noise, you will need software that supports creating complicated queries to filter it out. The dimensions of queries you can ask are also important. For example, can you query on sentiment? Some vendors also offer additional services to help with setting up queries that you may want to take advantage of.
- You want a tool that offers customizable dashboards that you can easily share with others around your company. It should contain clear actionable metrics and display data in the correct chart types.
- Historical data
- It's important to ask how far back your historical data access goes so you can monitor your long running campaigns. Some vendors also allow you to run historical queries on a one-off basis for a fee.
- You can enhance your product or internal data with social data from these tools. Some APIs are included in the price and others are an additional cost. Look at APIs only if you need your social media monitoring tool to integrate into other platforms.
Key Benefits of Social Media Monitoring Software
- Monitor and measure your brand and marketing campaigns across the web
- Find and engage key influencers in your industry
- Manage your reputation by responding to customer questions and complaints quickly
- Spot emerging trends and conduct market research
- Benchmark competitor social media campaigns
These are the common features of Social Media Monitoring Software
Social Media Monitoring
- Social Reporting
- Access custom reports and dashboards to measure social activity and engagement opportunities. Allows users to export data and graphs into Powerpoints.
- Sentiment Scoring
- Determines whether mentions of your brand are positive, negative or neutral.
- Influencer Identification
- Identifies who is talking about your brand along with their influence over social communities.
- Social Measurement
- Measure campaigns, brands and products for quantitative metrics such as conversation volume, when conversations are happening and your brand's share of voice.