Best Version Control Hosting Software
Version control hosting solutions are products that host multiple code repositories in the cloud and integrate with, and often provide, online tools that enhance the use of version control systems. Version control hosting solutions allow developers who collaborate on source code to manage a master repository in which they can commit their code changes and pull down new code to their local computers. Version control hosting solutions provide businesses with an access control list where they can choose which developers have access to the repository. Version control hosting solutions allow developers to set up a master repository that is hosted online and helps developers avoid confusion by considering it the source of truth for when they integrate their code. Version control hosting solutions integrate with at least one version control system, but often integrate with multiple.
To qualify as a version control hosting solution, a product must:
- Integrate with at least one version control system
- Provide an online location where developers can commit their code and pull down new changes from other developers
- Allow multiple repositories to exist simultaneously
- Provide an access control list allowing developers to access specific code repositories
- Provide a way to browse the source code and its changes
Version Control Hosting Software Grid® Overview
The best Version Control Hosting Software products are determined by customer satisfaction (based on user reviews) and scale (based on market share, vendor size, and social impact) and placed into four categories on the Grid®:
- Products in the Leader quadrant are rated highly by G2 Crowd users and have substantial Market Presence scores. Leaders include: GitHub, Bitbucket, and GitLab
- High Performers are highly rated by their users, but have not yet achieved the market share and scale of the Leaders.
- Contenders have significant Market Presence and resources, but have received below average user Satisfaction ratings or have not yet received a sufficient number of reviews to validate the solution. Contenders include: Microsoft Team Foundation Server
- Niche solutions do not have the Market Presence of the Leaders. They may have been rated positively on customer Satisfaction, but have not yet received enough reviews to validate them. Niche products include: Assembla, Beanstalk, and Helix VCS