Best Virtual Data Room Software
A virtual data room (VDR) is an online repository used for the storage and distribution of documents. VDRs allow companies to share their confidential or proprietary information with an additional party in a controlled setting. The tools enable the hosting of confidential information under strict permissions, and manage the viewer’s ability to release the information by limiting the ability to forward, copy, or print the documents. Digital rights management is a critical aspect of virtual data rooms due to their use during the due diligence process for mergers and acquisitions transactions as well as private equity and venture capital transactions.
To qualify for inclusion in the Virtual Data Room category, a product must:
- Enable the storage and distribution of content, data, and documents during the due diligence process
- Have customizable permissions structures
- Remotely control files through digital rights management
- Verify, track, and enforce document permissions
- Allow for the compartmentalization of data within multiple projects, guaranteeing zero overlap or interaction between the individual projects
Virtual Data Room Software Grid® Overview
The best Virtual Data Room Software products are determined by customer satisfaction (based on user reviews) and scale (based on market share, vendor size, and social impact) and placed into four categories on the Grid®:
- Products in the Leader quadrant are rated highly by G2 Crowd users and have substantial Market Presence scores. Leaders include: iDeals Virtual Data Room
- High Performers are highly rated by their users, but have not yet achieved the market share and scale of the Leaders. High Performers include: DealRoom
- Contenders have significant Market Presence and resources, but have received below average user Satisfaction ratings or have not yet received a sufficient number of reviews to validate the solution. Contenders include: ShareFile Virtual Data Room
- Niche solutions do not have the Market Presence of the Leaders. They may have been rated positively on customer Satisfaction, but have not yet received enough reviews to validate them.