Best VoIP Providers
Voice over internet protocol (VoIP) software uses the internet to transmit phone and video calls, effectively creating a unified network regardless of a worker’s location. One advantage of VoIP is that telephone calls via the internet don’t incur a surcharge beyond what the user is already paying for internet access, just like users don’t pay to send individual emails. Some VoIP applications come bundled with popular web browsers. Others are standalone products. Business-specific VoIP is commercial-class versions of residential VoIP services that provide small and medium-sized businesses with advanced features and functionality such as private branch exchange, conference calling, desk-to-desk calling, music on hold, and automated attendants. Most business and enterprise VoIP providers support multiple simultaneous calls.
To qualify for inclusion in the VoIP category, a product must:
- Be able to share any or all: audio phone calls, video phone calls, pictures, screens, messages
- Utilize the internet through both public and private networks
- Be utilized across different (internal) communication channels as well as across differing platforms like web browsers and mobile applications.
VoIP Providers Grid® Overview
The best VoIP Providers products are determined by customer satisfaction (based on user reviews) and scale (based on market share, vendor size, and social impact) and placed into four categories on the Grid®:
- Products in the Leader quadrant are rated highly by G2 Crowd users and have substantial Market Presence scores. Leaders include: WebEx, Skype, join.me, Google Hangouts, Jive, and Zoom
- High Performers are highly rated by their users, but have not yet achieved the market share and scale of the Leaders. High Performers include: FreeConferenceCall.com, Mitel Unified Communications, UberConference, FreeConference.com, Dialpad, and Loop Communications
- Contenders have significant Market Presence and resources, but have received below average user Satisfaction ratings or have not yet received a sufficient number of reviews to validate the solution. Contenders include: RingCentral Office, Avaya Scopia, Cisco Unified Communications Manager (CallManager), Comcast VoIP, and 8x8 Virtual Office
- Niche solutions do not have the Market Presence of the Leaders. They may have been rated positively on customer Satisfaction, but have not yet received enough reviews to validate them. Niche products include: Vonage Unified Communication, IBM Sametime, Asterisk, Switchvox, Grasshopper, Aircall, and Voice Carrier IntelliSIP