Best Web Content Management Software
Web content management (WCM) systems allow users to create, edit, and publish digital content such as text, embedded audio and video files, and interactive graphics for websites. These systems make the process of uploading and writing content simple for users who do not have coding skills by offering theme-oriented templates for unique design. WCM systems are generally used in collaborative scenarios where multiple team members can monitor and manage web content. WCM solutions are most frequently utilized by digital marketing and creative teams. WCM systems can be plugged into third-party hosting platforms that provide more complete website management functionality. Some WCM systems can integrate with marketing software, third-party CMS tools, or content analytics programs. Others may provide functionality for digital asset management and web design. They share features with enterprise content management and e-commerce platforms.
To qualify for inclusion in the Web Content Management, a product must:
- Provide web-based editing and publishing capabilities for text, image, audio, and video files
- Offer templates for content creation
- Allow collaboration and approval for content creation
Web Content Management Software Grid® Overview
The best Web Content Management Software products are determined by customer satisfaction (based on user reviews)
and market presence (based on products’ scale, focus, and influence) and placed into four categories on the
- Products in the Leader quadrant are rated highly by G2 Crowd users and have substantial Market Presence scores. Leaders include: HubSpot, WordPress.org, Drupal, Oracle WebCenter Content, Sitefinity, and Pantheon
- High Performers are highly rated by their users, but have not yet achieved the Market Presence of the Leaders High Performers include: Acquia, Clickability, Joomla, Ingeniux CMS, Mozilla Webmaker, Kentico, Typepad, Squiz Matrix, Contentful, Captavi Platform, Contentstack, Solodev, pimcore, Mura, DSS, Elcom Platform, and Craft CMS
- Contenders have significant Market Presence and resources, but have received below average user Satisfaction
ratings or have not yet received a sufficient number of reviews to validate the solution.
Contenders include: Adobe Experience Manager, OpenText TeamSite, and Sitecore Web Experience Manager
- Niche solutions do not have the Market Presence of the Leaders. They may have been rated positively on customer
Satisfaction, but have not yet received enough reviews to validate them.
Niche products include: Episerver CMS, Umbraco, Bridgeline Content, Evoq Content, eZ Platform Enterprise Edition, idev CMS, Crownpeak DXM, ExpressionEngine, and PyroCMS