Best Web Design Software
Web design software provides users the tools to create, edit, and update web pages. Web designers will use these programs to create a web page’s layout and content through either editing HTML or a WYSIWYG editor. Companies operating without a website builder tool will require a designer to construct and manage the HTML and CSS framework for their website. These products include features for editing code and visualizing projects. Many will also possess frameworks and templates to assist in creating the website’s basic structure, as well as element libraries with templates or shortcodes to save time during the design process. Web design software provides a more independent, customizable platform than website builders, but shares some similar features. Web design software typically allows for importing code from tools like text editors or visual elements from design tools such as vector graphics tools.
To qualify for inclusion in the Web Design category, a product must:
- Provide a platform for editing and/or exporting HTML and CSS
- Provide templates or web-frameworks that can be customized
- Provide tools for visualising front-end design code
- Provide elements libraries or shortcodes
- Possess web publishing capabilities
Web Design Software Grid® Overview
The best Web Design Software products are determined by customer satisfaction (based on user reviews) and scale (based on market share, vendor size, and social impact) and placed into four categories on the Grid®:
- Products in the Leader quadrant are rated highly by G2 Crowd users and have substantial Market Presence scores. Leaders include: Adobe Dreamweaver and Adobe Muse
- High Performers are highly rated by their users, but have not yet achieved the market share and scale of the Leaders. High Performers include: Coda
- Contenders have significant Market Presence and resources, but have received below average user Satisfaction ratings or have not yet received a sufficient number of reviews to validate the solution. Contenders include: Google Web Designer
- Niche solutions do not have the Market Presence of the Leaders. They may have been rated positively on customer Satisfaction, but have not yet received enough reviews to validate them.