3D Coat

This is the official page of 3D-Coat application by Pilgway helping you implement any of your ideas in the 3D Art realm.

Work for 3D Coat?

Learning about 3D Coat?

3D Coat Reviews

Request More Information
Showing 18 3D Coat reviews
3D Coat review by <span>Joan C.</span>
Joan C.

Using 3d coat

What do you like best?

It´s compatibility with other software like Rhinoceros, it´s easy to import/export using .stl or .obj

The software is very easy to use, I just watch one youtube video and I felt confident enough to start playing with it.

What do you dislike?

It´s quite easy to use but the interface could be easier. Nothing major.

I still have some difficulties with scaling the model, resolutions and how to center and move the objects, It´s quite different from Rhino.

Also, the way the layers work...it´s a bit weird, it´s not obvious.

I still don´t understand which version should I used, once I installed the software I got 3 different icons, it´s like 3 different ways to start the software, a bit confusing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take a look at some videos on youtube, they are very useful. It´s a bit complicated at the beginning. There is a course on www.udemy.com for beginners, it´s just 12 dollars, I might take it.

It has helped me a lot when it comes to smoothing edges, using Rhino sometimes is just impossible. Also, 3d coat helps me a lot with boolean operations and fixing files for 3d printing.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about 3D Coat
3D Coat review by <span>Lionel C.</span>
Lionel C.

3D Coat is very useful

What do you like best?

I primarily use 3D Coat to retopo and UV my characters. The tools for retopo are very handy. I can bring in a high resolution mesh with little trouble and create a new mesh in a relatively short amount of time.

The layering system is very helpful also. I can create multiple meshes and put them on separate layers so they can get exported in individually or as a whole. The layering also helps with turning off/on retopo groups so that I can carefully manage my scene.

I also love the amount of customization I have over the shortcuts. I can map tools and operations to match other programs I use so the learning curve is reduced.

What do you dislike?

The compatibility with my Mac is the most trouble I have had with 3D Coat. I experience crashes here and there. I have an older computer though so that may be more the issue than 3D Coat. I would, however like some kind of auto saving feature for cases like mine.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a wonderful tool to have in your workflow. The ease of retop is amazing. The UV systems are great also and help me a lot when creating clean UV's

Using 3D Coat has reduced my workflow time by more than half. When using other software to retopo, it would take me hours to get a decent retopologized mesh. With 3D Coat, I'm getting amazing results in under an hour.

What 3D Modeling solution do you use?

3D Coat review by <span>Javier C.</span>
Javier C.

flexible 3d modeling

What do you like best?

The software works with surfaces, that allowed me to clean models for 3d printing and obtain the best result than any other software that I have used. When you wnat to extract a shell from a figure, the best way to do it is extruding surfaces (as maya or rhino) but, if that figure is complex, what you obtain is a mess among surfaces crossing and missed surfaces. In this way is imposible to print anything.

3d Coat

What do you dislike?

Free camera motion sometimes does not work pproperly, movement around the model can be really desperating. Rotating the camera it does not take the model as the centre of rotation and makes more difficult to fly around. Other thing is the size of files you end up with, they are so big! I am use to save every litle change I've done copying my model, havinf 12312366 different versions, that is impossible to do in 3d-Coat

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a software in which you sculpt de model you can forget vertex and edges, if you are designing a detailed object, 3d coat might be your tool!

As I told, I had serious problems to obtain a clean model shell, which is so easy with 3D Coat. Import your model as OBJ, rise resolution and quality, apply changes, select tour model, click on 'extract shell' and DONE. you have cleanest shell ever! Besides boolean tool works sooo smooth; somethimes Maya and Rhino give me headache booleaning two or more polysurfaces or meshes.

3D Coat review by <span>Jovan D.</span>
Jovan D.

Voxels ftw

What do you like best?

Voxel sculpting is extremely intuitive. Sculpting without having to ever think about topology brings a completely new level of freedom. Interface is much more traditional and user friendly, and you don't have to spend a lot of time adjusting like in zbrush. Painting tools are one of the best in the industry, especially in the new version (4.5). Autopo option is nice, but if you plan to do it manually there are better options.

What do you dislike?

Some performance issues, voxels are more demanding and you can't work with same detail level like in surface mode.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely worth trying, especially if you're not a long term zbrush user, since the interface is much easier to learn. 3d coat has potential to surpass other sclupting software with next gen hardware since it's limits are performance on complex voxels (you can sculpt high levels of detail in surface mode but the real advantage will come when hardware is capable enough to have complete voxel workflow up until the final mesh)

-friendly user interface

-voxel sculpting free from topology limits

-very good painting tools

3D Coat review by <span>silvia l.</span>
silvia l.

Friendly tool and a lot of fun for texturing

What do you like best?

I've to say that i like the most is that you can paint so precise like if you use vectors

What do you dislike?

sometimes give me some trouble working with scales when importing objects from others softwares

Recommendations to others considering the product

3d coat is really a practical and useful tool, for any 3d artist that want to short the time invested in the workflows.

For new users is really friendly to learn, and if you have experience in other 3d softwares, the navigation, menus and tools are easy to find and memorize.

it works pretty well with zbrush, capable of importing and work with really high resolution meshes without crashing.

his features of auto-retopology it make of 3d coat a really powerful tool, in terms of have more time to be creative instead of investing time in resolving technical issues.

Have fun wiht 3d coat

in the production a spot, texturing is the process in which 3d coat help us a lot. The benefits make present because we need to create patterns that fit well in the 3d model, and 3d coat was a very precise tool

3D Coat review by <span>Phil N.</span>
Phil N.

Fantastic for sculpting, texturing, and retopo

What do you like best?

Hard to say what I like best, there's so much to like! Probably the bets feature is the team behind it, constantly adding features at little to no added cost. The features I use most are sculpting, retopology, and texture painting but there are more functions like UV editing.

What do you dislike?

I dislike very little. Occasionally a tool will not work as I expect it to and I will have to use another tool or find a work around. Most creative software has these problems though.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you work in games or animation with details characters / models and you have experience with Photoshop and other 3D software 3D-COat is a fantastic choice to get your projects done fast and looking great.

I first discovered 3D-Coat when I tried zbrush but hated it's interface and it's high price. 3D-Coat does almost all the same and more in some cases at a cheaper price. And it's easier to use. Most artists know Photoshop and 3DC is very similar in how it works.

Learning about 3D Coat?

* We monitor all 3D Coat reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.