3D Coat

This is the official page of 3D-Coat application by Pilgway helping you implement any of your ideas in the 3D Art realm.

Work for 3D Coat?

Learning about 3D Coat?

3D Coat Reviews

Showing 18 3D Coat reviews
3D Coat review by Joan C.
Joan C.

"Using 3d coat"

What do you like best?

It´s compatibility with other software like Rhinoceros, it´s easy to import/export using .stl or .obj

The software is very easy to use, I just watch one youtube video and I felt confident enough to start playing with it.

What do you dislike?

It´s quite easy to use but the interface could be easier. Nothing major.

I still have some difficulties with scaling the model, resolutions and how to center and move the objects, It´s quite different from Rhino.

Also, the way the layers work...it´s a bit weird, it´s not obvious.

I still don´t understand which version should I used, once I installed the software I got 3 different icons, it´s like 3 different ways to start the software, a bit confusing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take a look at some videos on youtube, they are very useful. It´s a bit complicated at the beginning. There is a course on www.udemy.com for beginners, it´s just 12 dollars, I might take it.

It has helped me a lot when it comes to smoothing edges, using Rhino sometimes is just impossible. Also, 3d coat helps me a lot with boolean operations and fixing files for 3d printing.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about 3D Coat
3D Coat review by Lionel C.
Lionel C.

"3D Coat is very useful"

What do you like best?

I primarily use 3D Coat to retopo and UV my characters. The tools for retopo are very handy. I can bring in a high resolution mesh with little trouble and create a new mesh in a relatively short amount of time.

The layering system is very helpful also. I can create multiple meshes and put them on separate layers so they can get exported in individually or as a whole. The layering also helps with turning off/on retopo groups so that I can carefully manage my scene.

I also love the amount of customization I have over the shortcuts. I can map tools and operations to match other programs I use so the learning curve is reduced.

What do you dislike?

The compatibility with my Mac is the most trouble I have had with 3D Coat. I experience crashes here and there. I have an older computer though so that may be more the issue than 3D Coat. I would, however like some kind of auto saving feature for cases like mine.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a wonderful tool to have in your workflow. The ease of retop is amazing. The UV systems are great also and help me a lot when creating clean UV's

Using 3D Coat has reduced my workflow time by more than half. When using other software to retopo, it would take me hours to get a decent retopologized mesh. With 3D Coat, I'm getting amazing results in under an hour.

What 3D Modeling solution do you use?

3D Coat review by Javier C.
Javier C.

"flexible 3d modeling"

What do you like best?

The software works with surfaces, that allowed me to clean models for 3d printing and obtain the best result than any other software that I have used. When you wnat to extract a shell from a figure, the best way to do it is extruding surfaces (as maya or rhino) but, if that figure is complex, what you obtain is a mess among surfaces crossing and missed surfaces. In this way is imposible to print anything.

3d Coat

What do you dislike?

Free camera motion sometimes does not work pproperly, movement around the model can be really desperating. Rotating the camera it does not take the model as the centre of rotation and makes more difficult to fly around. Other thing is the size of files you end up with, they are so big! I am use to save every litle change I've done copying my model, havinf 12312366 different versions, that is impossible to do in 3d-Coat

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a software in which you sculpt de model you can forget vertex and edges, if you are designing a detailed object, 3d coat might be your tool!

As I told, I had serious problems to obtain a clean model shell, which is so easy with 3D Coat. Import your model as OBJ, rise resolution and quality, apply changes, select tour model, click on 'extract shell' and DONE. you have cleanest shell ever! Besides boolean tool works sooo smooth; somethimes Maya and Rhino give me headache booleaning two or more polysurfaces or meshes.

3D Coat review by Jovan D.
Jovan D.

"Voxels ftw"

What do you like best?

Voxel sculpting is extremely intuitive. Sculpting without having to ever think about topology brings a completely new level of freedom. Interface is much more traditional and user friendly, and you don't have to spend a lot of time adjusting like in zbrush. Painting tools are one of the best in the industry, especially in the new version (4.5). Autopo option is nice, but if you plan to do it manually there are better options.

What do you dislike?

Some performance issues, voxels are more demanding and you can't work with same detail level like in surface mode.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely worth trying, especially if you're not a long term zbrush user, since the interface is much easier to learn. 3d coat has potential to surpass other sclupting software with next gen hardware since it's limits are performance on complex voxels (you can sculpt high levels of detail in surface mode but the real advantage will come when hardware is capable enough to have complete voxel workflow up until the final mesh)

-friendly user interface

-voxel sculpting free from topology limits

-very good painting tools

3D Coat review by silvia l.
silvia l.

"Friendly tool and a lot of fun for texturing"

What do you like best?

I've to say that i like the most is that you can paint so precise like if you use vectors

What do you dislike?

sometimes give me some trouble working with scales when importing objects from others softwares

Recommendations to others considering the product

3d coat is really a practical and useful tool, for any 3d artist that want to short the time invested in the workflows.

For new users is really friendly to learn, and if you have experience in other 3d softwares, the navigation, menus and tools are easy to find and memorize.

it works pretty well with zbrush, capable of importing and work with really high resolution meshes without crashing.

his features of auto-retopology it make of 3d coat a really powerful tool, in terms of have more time to be creative instead of investing time in resolving technical issues.

Have fun wiht 3d coat

in the production a spot, texturing is the process in which 3d coat help us a lot. The benefits make present because we need to create patterns that fit well in the 3d model, and 3d coat was a very precise tool

3D Coat review by Phil N.
Phil N.

"Fantastic for sculpting, texturing, and retopo"

What do you like best?

Hard to say what I like best, there's so much to like! Probably the bets feature is the team behind it, constantly adding features at little to no added cost. The features I use most are sculpting, retopology, and texture painting but there are more functions like UV editing.

What do you dislike?

I dislike very little. Occasionally a tool will not work as I expect it to and I will have to use another tool or find a work around. Most creative software has these problems though.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you work in games or animation with details characters / models and you have experience with Photoshop and other 3D software 3D-COat is a fantastic choice to get your projects done fast and looking great.

I first discovered 3D-Coat when I tried zbrush but hated it's interface and it's high price. 3D-Coat does almost all the same and more in some cases at a cheaper price. And it's easier to use. Most artists know Photoshop and 3DC is very similar in how it works.

3D Coat review by Michael B.
Michael B.

"Professional Sculpting , Retopo , Paint Tool"

What do you like best?

Sculpting feels natural and its a lot easier to learn comparing to other tools out there

Retopo result is very very good and solid and gets better and better

Paint is the BEST you can get and it gets better and better on each update.

PBR smart materials will give you the best possible outcome.

What do you dislike?

The fact that i didnt find this software earlier....

Recommendations to others considering the product

You just cant go wrong with it.

Using it in my daily workflow , from sculpting to retopo , baking , and painting.

Fast , efficient , gets updated every couple days and updates are focused 100% on users requests.

3D Coat review by Carlos D.
Carlos D.

"3d coat is just amazing "

What do you like best?

An amazing software, cheaper than zbrush and really powerfull to create textures, hand painted and pbr, a powerfull voxel sculpting tool, and one of the best retopology tools that i ever used.

What do you dislike?

the lack of a polymodeling tool, that would be amazing and that will make 3dcoat one of the best 3d tools in the market (at least for character designers and environment designers)

Recommendations to others considering the product

If your looking for a 3d sculpting, texturing (handpainted and pbr solution), retopology and realtime renderer for less than 500 dlls in one software, 3d coat is the answer.

the software helped me a lot with creating more faster concept art thanks to his sculpting tools, and the creation of textures here is just amazing, the interface is fast to learn, and the tools are amazing.

3D Coat review by Anderson L.
Anderson L.

"Very efficient tool"

What do you like best?

I've been working with 3d coat for a short time, and still had no time to try all the features of the tool. I used it to do hand painted textures, and for this purpose the tool is excellent, it save me a lot of time, the interface is very friendly and possibility to paint on the model and over the uv is a great feature.

What do you dislike?

Until now I just had problems with brushes precision, I would like it were more precious like in photoshop

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is demonstrating how a promising tool

Before, I used to paint textures in zbrush, but always ends up running into one problem or another, because the textures are not painted directly. 3d coat solved this problem because all I'm painting now becomes the final texture and can easily be edited later in photoshop or even restornando to 3d coat. This ends up saving a lot of time

3D Coat review by Kyle S.
Kyle S.

"Amazing 3D painting application"

What do you like best?

3D Coat is not only very easy to use, but it also provides you with the tools to texture any sort of model to a high degree of quality. The ability to quickly swap between painting in UV space and 3D space makes texturing any sort or surface or angle a breeze. The Auto-Retopo feature and 3D Coat's Retopology tools in general are also amazing and ahead of the curve in comparison to other tools.

What do you dislike?

I honestly can't think of anything. I used to wish that 3D Coat had some more advanced shader and Look Dev features to quickly test out various texture concepts, however the PBR and Smart Materials seem to provide me with what I need.

Texture 3D Models quickly and to a high level of standard. Texture 3D models without having to guess how something in UV space will be translated on the model. Painting on a model in 3D space is a much more fun and engaging way to texture models. Time flies when texturing in 3D Coat and the quality of my work greatly improved once I switched to using this application.

3D Coat review by Marcelo B.
Marcelo B.

"The Best for hand painted textures!"

What do you like best?

3D Coat has a lot of amazing tools like retopology, modelling, uv layout and texturing (in version 4.5 has the new feature called PBR and smart materials , very good for your texture maps). I really like the interface, it is very easy to see all the tools and some tools and shortcuts are very similar to Photoshop (my main work software), and this is very amazing and productive in my workflow. But the x factor in 3D Coat is the interaction with Photoshop and the easy AO calculation. For me, that use 3D Coat for paint textures, this could not be better.

What do you dislike?

Is dislike very little. But maybe they can do some small changes in the interface.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you work in the entertainment field, like games and animation, 3D Coat is the right choice, especially for texturing. For sure you'll work faster and your work it will be awesome.

3D Coat is a complete software for artists workflow. I tried another softwares in the same field to paint texture maps, but 3D Coat simplicity makes a lot of diference. To resume: it is a cheaper price software and very easy and intuitive to use.

3D Coat review by Kevin a.
Kevin a.

"One of my favourite"

What do you like best?

The ability to do a complete re-topology is really good. Imagine your doing a mesh in maya and to texture faces , your can export it to 3D coat . The retopology is very useful for people finding it hard to understand how basic mesh flow works. 3D coat 4.5 has a new feature called PBR , which is very useful then testing your texture maps. The voxel based system is good i some places , But not that good in many regions.I am a big fan of the UV layout and texture painting. The only other software that gives this is zBrush with poly paint. The voxl based sculpting is also good in a small level of detail. If you compare it with Zbrush , I find zBrush to be more useful than this. But the texture beats zBrush , hands down. If your a artist looking for different types of textures then this is the software for you. If you want boolean then the addition and subtraction is good and gives you good results.

What do you dislike?

Most common softwares out there offers us to be able to script. But 3D coat is missing that feature. The interface is alright , but i can be done a lot better. The sculpting is not that good. It creates a lag when using it . Voxel based so its powerful, but the sculpting is not that encouraging.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use 3D coat only for texturing. If you want sculpting you should shift to other real sculpting softwares like ZBrush and Mudbox . Millions of polygons can be easily handled there.

If you can't afford zBrush or Mudbox at the moment then you can go for 3D coat. The UV tools are powerful. You don't want to do everything is Maya like slicing in your UV editor in maya. You can take it here and its options can help you do it within a flash.

3D Coat review by Jeremy E.
Jeremy E.

"I use this product for PBR texturing."

What do you like best?

I've used a lot of 3d software and I really liked 3dcoat because there was barely any learning curve. I never once had to go on the internet and look up how to do something. It just worked the way I thought it should.

What do you dislike?

the controls are different from every other 3d application so once again you must learn a new way of orbiting and panning. They should really universalize those.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it. It's either 3d coat or surface designer. they're both pretty amazing. I thought that 3d Coat was a little more user friendly.

I am a freelance designer and it makes texturing for PBR a breeze.

3D Coat review by User

"Best tool ever"

What do you like best?

Simple yet powerful texture-painting feature. I use a lot of handpainted-style texturing in my models and 3D-Coat deliver Photoshop-like, layered texturing, blending options, and brushes/glyphs/alphas for ease-of-use. It really emulates Photoshop, but in 3D, and I don't see any apps that do that neatly. In comparison to ZBrush and Blender texture painting feature, I feel like Blender is a bit lacking and unstable in terms of performance when using graphic tablets like Wacom, while ZBrush is too much for me as I never use it sculpting feature (feels like killing an ant with a rocket launcher).

What do you dislike?

3DCoat sadly doesn't read Adjustment layers made in Photoshop but it's something I can get over with.

Texturing, of course. I don't think I would use any other texturing tool other than this.

3D Coat review by Kolel P.
Kolel P.

"I love 3D Coat's UV tools but that's basically all I use it for"

What do you like best?

I love the tools 3D Coat provides to streamline the UV creation process. The ability to define UV shells and to have them unwrap and place automatically is very time saving.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the default lighting in the viewport at times; depending on the model, it can be hard to view certain faces with the default lighting/shading.

Streamlined UV creation process. I prefer other 3D software for most other things, but really only because I haven't delved into 3D Coat's wide array of tools. It's not a reflection of the software, just my bias.

3D Coat review by Administrator

"An overall great tool"

What do you like best?

I enjoy the the seamless support for external applications such as photoshop, which makes creating textures a breeze.

What do you dislike?

I sometimes find myself encountering issues with texture projections on a model yet with some tweaking on the users part this can be easily fixed.

This program has helped me in the process of creating what I enjoy but in a much easier fashion.

3D Coat review by User

"Solved all UV problems maya couldn't do"

What do you like best?

How much easier it is to make a simple uv for any 3D model and how easy it is to export back

What do you dislike?

Sometime it's not quite clear how to use, sometimes it's as simple as not clearing seams before hand.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If I haven't pointed it out enough, it makes mapping your UV's so much better!!!!

UV's aren't as much as a nightmare as I had once thought. This software make's it so much easier to do, saving me time and frustration.

3D Coat review by Erick S.
Erick S.

"Easy to learn, yet powerful"

What do you like best?

I really admire the simplicity of the user interface, and the way the function works intuitively, even for artist who rarely venture into 3D texture painting.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the software crashes for unknown reason. My best guess is probably memory or graphic card related issues.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Please use it, it's easy, light, and versatile.

The learning curve is faster, and less costly.

Learning about 3D Coat?

* We monitor all 3D Coat reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.