3ds Max Design

3ds Max Design software is a comprehensive 3D design, modeling, animation, and rendering solution for architects, designers, civil engineers, and visualization specialists.

Work for 3ds Max Design?

Learning about 3ds Max Design?

3ds Max Design Reviews

Showing 172 3ds Max Design reviews
3ds Max Design review by <span>Marissa P.</span>
Marissa P.

3Ds max is my go-to for 3d modeling

What do you like best?

I use polygons and nurbs in my 3d design, so 3ds max makes it easy to convert from one format to another and then save in many different file formats. Without 3ds max I wouldn't be able to customize my models to such a specific degree in one multi-format platform. It is perfect for interior architecture, industrial design, jewelry models, animation models, organic forms, etc.

What do you dislike?

I don't really dislike anything, I do not use it for animation as much because you have to take many photos and then composite them together, unlike maya. I think rendering is always getting better. 3ds max must keep up with the current and changing file formats such as 3mf which they can have a plug-in for. 3ds max must remain competitive in the marketplace to avoid getting steam-rolled by an all-powerful all-in-one software which has not happened yet.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are ready for advanced 3D modeling, 3dsMax can be your go-to. I use 3ds max in conjunction with other products such as maya and gemvision matrix, which is another version of rhinoceros. Rendering has improved greatly over the years and I encourage people to customize the ambient environment and don't just depend on presets while rendering. Take your time.

50% of my business is creating 3d models and renders of said models. I am always changing and building on current and previous models. 3ds max makes this somewhat easy and is my reliable multi-format go-to program. It's like the jeep of 3d modeling programs.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about 3ds Max Design
3ds Max Design review by <span>Mario G.</span>
Mario G.

3D Max for architectural use

What do you like best?

The best property of 3D Max is the compatibility with the Autodesk software and some render engines. V Ray for example is one of the most amazing render engines, because its easy of use, however I think 3D Max and Autodesk need to partner with a big render engine company in order for they to offer their customers good rendering solutions.

3D Max itself, has a lot of great features though, like the modifiers and texturing tools that make texturizing your model so easy, compared with any other rendering software.

Also, it has a lot of advantage to get a knowledge of this program because it helps you improve your resume.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it is a little complicated to model directly on the software but once you learn how to use it is easy enough. Also sometimes is better to look aside, and see for any other rendering alternatives, because while 3D Max is supposed to meet industrial designers needs, for architectural design, there's a lot of softwares out there that can meet the same quality as 3D Max. Unfortunately 3D Max or autodesk haven't really spend that much time on getting quality control or a better render engine for their softwares. Lumion for example has been investing lots of time and efforts to do so.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you look for photorealistic results, then 3DS Max Design is your best way to achieve it.

Mental Ray is the default render engine and is not that great

What 3D Modeling solution do you use?

3ds Max Design review by <span>Richard T.</span>
Richard T.

3ds Max for anything 3d

What do you like best?

3D Studio took me some time to get used to. Most of my modeling had been done either in Autodesk AutoCAD or Nevercenter Silo. The first was because most of my work was done there as a drafter and modeler. The latter was due to exceptional speed and easy of use and customization. Silo is still my main concept design tool before committing a final design.

With 3D Studio extra pains to configure the keyboard shortcuts to match my way of working. The result was the ability to work many times faster than before. I can now conceptualize, design and model whatever I need to without concern for missing tools or functions (such as material design and rendering). Best of all 3d Studio is an industry standard tool. As such there are a massive amount of plug-ins and scripts to enhance, improve or speed up the work done.

What do you dislike?

What's not to like? Complexity! As much as it has going for it 3D Studio is complex and not easy for many to learn. This is to be expected when software such as this has an extreme amount of features to work with. Once you understand the basics things get easier much faster but getting there is often problematic for beginners.

Other problems include an absolutely horrible SDK and buggy scripting. The new implementation of Max Creation Graph speeds up and improves on the old system dramatically but otherwise the system is often commented on as painful. It does, however, provide immense power for those wanting to extend 3D Studio further within reason. Going beyond a certain point in complexity reveals its drawbacks and shortcomings.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If your a CAD user 3ds Max Design is the most practical 3d solution. There are may others out there but none come close to the CAD world like 3d Studio. Take the time to learn the keyboard shortcuts and modify them to suit your work-flow or you will be floundering about and having a difficult time building up speed.

I needed to do get a great deal more serous with my work. I needed a full solution for concept design, finished models, materials and rendering. While I was able to do this with other programs but it took several programs to do what I am able to with just 3D Studio. I am now getting work done faster with more time to iterate and test before finalizing a design.

3ds Max Design review by <span>Derek C.</span>
Derek C.

Worked as Lead 3d Artist for 5 years with this product. It's always my go-to for 3d graphics.

What do you like best?

Versatility. I've used this software for so many different types of projects it actually amazes me. From planning out woodworking projects, to fully animated characters for video, static and animated meshes for video games to product beauty shots and so much more.

What do you dislike?

That the software is so complex that I've never met a person that can utilize every single aspect. This isn't so much of a dislike as dismay that I'll never fully utilize 3ds Max to its full potential.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're new to 3d modeling or animation, the hurdle is high. There is SO MUCH to learn. However, if you've been experimenting with and/or using a 3d software package for a while, 3ds Max offers an nearly unlimited array of possibilites.

In my previous position, we would create environments for the US military for training scenarios, fully animated, voice-synced lifelike characters and detailed equipment renders. On occasion, we would develop static and animated meshes for import into other software packages like Unity or Virtual Battle Space 2. Currently, we use it for small, 3D environments, client equipment, tools and product beauty shots. Naturally, having the ability to change a camera view on a product or scene offers a ton of opportunity to elevate your work.

3ds Max Design review by <span>Nickolas V.</span>
Nickolas V.

3D Designer

What do you like best?

3DS Max can do just about anything you can imagine in the 3D realm. I have been using the software for 7 years, and have learned to model just about anything you can think of. Max has come a long way as well. I am now able to handle scenes with 50 million polygons (not that it is a common occurrence) There is also a lot of wiggle room when it comes to renderers. You have many choices from the basic renderer, to programs such as v-ray and corona.

What do you dislike?

There is not a lot I do not dislike. However there is one issue that I have had with every year of max up till 2016 that (to my knowledge) still has not been fixed. When I am in the settings tab and adjusting the light cache, If you press tab the entire program will freeze. I have encountered many issues where max crashes a lot.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking to make video games, animations, renders, graphic design, anything 3D related at all. 3ds max is a excellent answer! There are free programs, however 3DS Max is the standard world wide along with some other great products from autodesk (maya for example)

Originally i used max because I wanted to do video game design. It has now come to the point where I am doing renders for home theaters, Animations for youtube, or even graphic design. I have solved problems I never thought I would need to use max for. I run a youtube channel doing 3D tutorials on using the program for people who cannot afford to go to college. It is a huge problem around the world where kids are not blessed with the chance to go to college. So I have been able to help people by teaching them thru max.

3ds Max Design review by <span>Marco L.</span>
Marco L.

Depending on your working area, it can be best ( or worst ) 3d software ever created !

What do you like best?

3ds max has a huge number of tools. The interface is clear and if you come from Autocad it is extremely easy to use it. Software most common features are very stable and even with not a latest pc it will work without crashing. Software has nice built-in tools but if they are not enough you can expand them with a pletora of free or commercial add-ons. It has an internal scripting language so that with a bit of practice it is possible to write own tools. In general it is the perfect software to be used for architectural 3d / rendering works or industrial design concepts and presentations. What i also like is the simplicity to create / modify materials and applying them with biult-in texturing tools.

By using it with a 3d mouse it be becomes even more powerfull.

What do you dislike?

Some features, like physical simulations or some add-ons may create stability issues.

It has a tons of animation tools ... but sometimes they are not so user friendly.

It has many features that are just a legacy from previous releases that noboy still use .... and that by being deleted could make the software going faster.

Last thing that i don't like is that, if you have a 4k screen, the interface can't be correctly displayed ... you may need to use 2017 release (if you can afford it) or interface will work correctly by having resolution of the screen fixed to 1920x1080 maximum.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Even if there are many 3d softwares .. that may sound cheaper or more appealing, 3ds max design is a solid tool, with a good company support and a lot of resources on the web that may help you solving any possible issue.

Architectures, interiors, concept designs are made in a while !!

Autocad compatibility makes this software a must-have in any architectural pipline

Learning about 3ds Max Design?

* We monitor all 3ds Max Design reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.