3ds Max Design

(185 reviews)

3ds Max Design software is a comprehensive 3D design, modeling, animation, and rendering solution for architects, designers, civil engineers, and visualization specialists.

Work for 3ds Max Design?

Learning about 3ds Max Design?

3ds Max Design Reviews

Showing 186 3ds Max Design reviews
3ds Max Design review by Roy B.
Roy B.

"Extraordinary animation and realism abilities."

What do you like best?

It is very complete, ideal for the visual development of architectural projects, the results really exceed my expectations, with the right knowledge of the tools you can develop great capabilities to opt for very high level results.

What do you dislike?

The complexity of the tools and the learning time are very long, it is necessary to install a complementary render engine to achieve the desired images, it does not have a library or library of free resources to improve the software's performance and facilitate the work, some materials do not cover the expected realism capacity.

Recommendations to others considering the product

To get realistic results and have high quality materials and finishes for splendid renders, in this software you can find the necessary tools to achieve it, it must be made clear that it is complex to learn and it takes a lot of time to learn to use all the available tools.

All the process of realism and architectural visualization of the project is done in this software to get surprising results.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about 3ds Max Design
3ds Max Design review by Charles M.
Charles M.

"the highest level of realism, a very powerful software"

What do you like best?

The production capacity is huge, the results you can get have left me satisfied, the appearance of very real and professional projects, the animation tools work properly and the render engines are excellent, I find it very useful that the workspace allows you to have several windows with different views, is very efficient because it allows you to import some elements of other formats and the workspace is well distributed.

What do you dislike?

It is extremely difficult to learn, the tool palettes contain many different functions which leads to a very high learning time and a very long implementation time, some commands are not very useful and do not meet the expected requirements, the integrated materials are very basic and for that reason you should download external libraries.

It does not have an internal or external library of the software to collaborate and create models and exchange files to produce more efficiently.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is important to be able to handle the software correctly and take advantage of all the possibilities and tools offered by having basic knowledge of other modeling and 3d animation software, that way you can adapt faster to the interface and get more out of it to get incredible results.

It is one of the main tools for 3d design in the 3d production department, it is indispensable to model and create projects, mechanical parts, external bodies and many other elements that we constantly produce.

What 3D Modeling solution do you use?

3ds Max Design review by Mateo V.
Mateo V.

"Very versatile software, It gives the user endless possibilities"

What do you like best?

As a 3D generalist what i like the best is its modeling tools, which are very versatile and easy to use, and also very easy to learn. Uv tools are also great, yo can do UV on any object pretty fast, and with amazing quality, which is very great since you can solve most of the things inside the same software, so you don't need to be switching software for all the necessities that the industry has.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the interface, which sometimes its a bit buggy. And autorig features are not very easy to learn, making it hard to use them. Anyway in the last version of 3ds Max they changed completely the interface, and it actually works a lot better and faster than in previous versions of the software, all of the menus are undockable so you can adapt everything for your needs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would highly recommend it, since it can cover the needs of a vast range of fields, from architectural visualization, VFX, videogames, animation and so much other things.

I do modeling, Uv mapping, texturing and rendering, mainly use it for character retopology, since the software has a lots of tools for this purpose and makes the process quite simple. Also since it is a very complete software you can do everything from modeling, animation, to final render, and of course you have the posibility of using the 3d rendering plugin of your choice, anyway if you want you can do pretty well with 3ds max own rendering engines, that offer high quality results also. So with 3ds Max you have pretty much everything covered.

3ds Max Design review by Viken K.
Viken K.

"3DS Max Design - A Niche Application"

What do you like best?

The opportunity to advance your purpose is powerful and impressive, notably in the eyes of our clients. The ability to render an idea, or to express a vision to our client gives us a competitive edge in winning bids and delivering solutions that exceed that of our competitors.

What do you dislike?

In my experience with the software, 3DS Max Design is principally an aesthetic deliverable. We focus more on engineering tools by Autodesk to realize the core solutions that we are selling to the client. Step 1, impress and win bid. Step 2, realize vision with engineering tools.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a difficult question to answer... bridging the learning curve between users being "beginners" and "advanced" would ensure a better products.

As mentioned previously, it gives us an additional dimension to our voice, our vision, our deliverables.

3ds Max Design review by Marissa P.
Marissa P.

"3Ds max is my go-to for 3d modeling "

What do you like best?

I use polygons and nurbs in my 3d design, so 3ds max makes it easy to convert from one format to another and then save in many different file formats. Without 3ds max I wouldn't be able to customize my models to such a specific degree in one multi-format platform. It is perfect for interior architecture, industrial design, jewelry models, animation models, organic forms, etc.

What do you dislike?

I don't really dislike anything, I do not use it for animation as much because you have to take many photos and then composite them together, unlike maya. I think rendering is always getting better. 3ds max must keep up with the current and changing file formats such as 3mf which they can have a plug-in for. 3ds max must remain competitive in the marketplace to avoid getting steam-rolled by an all-powerful all-in-one software which has not happened yet.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are ready for advanced 3D modeling, 3dsMax can be your go-to. I use 3ds max in conjunction with other products such as maya and gemvision matrix, which is another version of rhinoceros. Rendering has improved greatly over the years and I encourage people to customize the ambient environment and don't just depend on presets while rendering. Take your time.

50% of my business is creating 3d models and renders of said models. I am always changing and building on current and previous models. 3ds max makes this somewhat easy and is my reliable multi-format go-to program. It's like the jeep of 3d modeling programs.

3ds Max Design review by Mario G.
Mario G.

"3D Max for architectural use"

What do you like best?

The best property of 3D Max is the compatibility with the Autodesk software and some render engines. V Ray for example is one of the most amazing render engines, because its easy of use, however I think 3D Max and Autodesk need to partner with a big render engine company in order for they to offer their customers good rendering solutions.

3D Max itself, has a lot of great features though, like the modifiers and texturing tools that make texturizing your model so easy, compared with any other rendering software.

Also, it has a lot of advantage to get a knowledge of this program because it helps you improve your resume.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it is a little complicated to model directly on the software but once you learn how to use it is easy enough. Also sometimes is better to look aside, and see for any other rendering alternatives, because while 3D Max is supposed to meet industrial designers needs, for architectural design, there's a lot of softwares out there that can meet the same quality as 3D Max. Unfortunately 3D Max or autodesk haven't really spend that much time on getting quality control or a better render engine for their softwares. Lumion for example has been investing lots of time and efforts to do so.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you look for photorealistic results, then 3DS Max Design is your best way to achieve it.

Mental Ray is the default render engine and is not that great

3ds Max Design review by Richard T.
Richard T.

"3ds Max for anything 3d"

What do you like best?

3D Studio took me some time to get used to. Most of my modeling had been done either in Autodesk AutoCAD or Nevercenter Silo. The first was because most of my work was done there as a drafter and modeler. The latter was due to exceptional speed and easy of use and customization. Silo is still my main concept design tool before committing a final design.

With 3D Studio extra pains to configure the keyboard shortcuts to match my way of working. The result was the ability to work many times faster than before. I can now conceptualize, design and model whatever I need to without concern for missing tools or functions (such as material design and rendering). Best of all 3d Studio is an industry standard tool. As such there are a massive amount of plug-ins and scripts to enhance, improve or speed up the work done.

What do you dislike?

What's not to like? Complexity! As much as it has going for it 3D Studio is complex and not easy for many to learn. This is to be expected when software such as this has an extreme amount of features to work with. Once you understand the basics things get easier much faster but getting there is often problematic for beginners.

Other problems include an absolutely horrible SDK and buggy scripting. The new implementation of Max Creation Graph speeds up and improves on the old system dramatically but otherwise the system is often commented on as painful. It does, however, provide immense power for those wanting to extend 3D Studio further within reason. Going beyond a certain point in complexity reveals its drawbacks and shortcomings.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If your a CAD user 3ds Max Design is the most practical 3d solution. There are may others out there but none come close to the CAD world like 3d Studio. Take the time to learn the keyboard shortcuts and modify them to suit your work-flow or you will be floundering about and having a difficult time building up speed.

I needed to do get a great deal more serous with my work. I needed a full solution for concept design, finished models, materials and rendering. While I was able to do this with other programs but it took several programs to do what I am able to with just 3D Studio. I am now getting work done faster with more time to iterate and test before finalizing a design.

3ds Max Design review by Derek C.
Derek C.

"Worked as Lead 3d Artist for 5 years with this product. It's always my go-to for 3d graphics."

What do you like best?

Versatility. I've used this software for so many different types of projects it actually amazes me. From planning out woodworking projects, to fully animated characters for video, static and animated meshes for video games to product beauty shots and so much more.

What do you dislike?

That the software is so complex that I've never met a person that can utilize every single aspect. This isn't so much of a dislike as dismay that I'll never fully utilize 3ds Max to its full potential.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're new to 3d modeling or animation, the hurdle is high. There is SO MUCH to learn. However, if you've been experimenting with and/or using a 3d software package for a while, 3ds Max offers an nearly unlimited array of possibilites.

In my previous position, we would create environments for the US military for training scenarios, fully animated, voice-synced lifelike characters and detailed equipment renders. On occasion, we would develop static and animated meshes for import into other software packages like Unity or Virtual Battle Space 2. Currently, we use it for small, 3D environments, client equipment, tools and product beauty shots. Naturally, having the ability to change a camera view on a product or scene offers a ton of opportunity to elevate your work.

3ds Max Design review by User in Architecture & Planning
User in Architecture & Planning

"Capable Program, but difficult to learn"

What do you like best?

The capabilities of the program are amazing. I used it to create fly-through renderings of a Revit model. After many many tries, I was finally able to create something cool.

What do you dislike?

Learning to use it has a steep learning curve. There are so many options and it's unlike any other autodesk program. Even learning which method to upload and link your Revit model is even difficult to understand. The material database is also confusing to get used to. I have a pretty massive hard drive, but this still made my computer run very slowly and crashed frequently. I'd love to get better at it, but I'm not there yet and have all but given up.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Dedicate a lot of time into training and trials.

I used 3ds Max to create fly-through renderings as a marketing tool for a client. It was a large residence hall and create a video of what a room would look like helped the client feel comfortable signing off on the design.

3ds Max Design review by Nickolas V.
Nickolas V.

"3D Designer"

What do you like best?

3DS Max can do just about anything you can imagine in the 3D realm. I have been using the software for 7 years, and have learned to model just about anything you can think of. Max has come a long way as well. I am now able to handle scenes with 50 million polygons (not that it is a common occurrence) There is also a lot of wiggle room when it comes to renderers. You have many choices from the basic renderer, to programs such as v-ray and corona.

What do you dislike?

There is not a lot I do not dislike. However there is one issue that I have had with every year of max up till 2016 that (to my knowledge) still has not been fixed. When I am in the settings tab and adjusting the light cache, If you press tab the entire program will freeze. I have encountered many issues where max crashes a lot.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking to make video games, animations, renders, graphic design, anything 3D related at all. 3ds max is a excellent answer! There are free programs, however 3DS Max is the standard world wide along with some other great products from autodesk (maya for example)

Originally i used max because I wanted to do video game design. It has now come to the point where I am doing renders for home theaters, Animations for youtube, or even graphic design. I have solved problems I never thought I would need to use max for. I run a youtube channel doing 3D tutorials on using the program for people who cannot afford to go to college. It is a huge problem around the world where kids are not blessed with the chance to go to college. So I have been able to help people by teaching them thru max.

3ds Max Design review by User in Defense & Space
User in Defense & Space

"Great Autodesk Program for Defense Industry"

What do you like best?

I originally started off in college as a Maya user. I spent two years rendering and figuring out the UI as well as game modeling, rigging and texturing. However when I went to my first job at SSE, it took a short amount of time to get comfortable with this program. It’s by far the easier program to work with and although the “modifiers” can be hard to comprehend at first, it’s the superior modeling program. The UI barely updates over many different versions making your personal pipeline easy to transition. The things that change the most are how powerful the rendering gets. I personally have not used the Arnold renderer but have heard nothing but positive things.

What do you dislike?

There’s the potential if you use this program purely for rendering in a large company with Mental Ray and Mental Ray materials it can be hard to upgrade while in the middle of projects. So your research before you buy the product for your company and make sure it’s as update date as you may need it to be. This includes keeping in mind R&D teams!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do your research on ALL versions to make sure it meets your needs for 3+ years!

I have mainly worked on projects that take CAD data and “draw” on top of them to make them low poly. It’s solved a ton of problems with high poly models that have needed to go into a game engine. I would take a look at the xReferencing part of the program for large renders involving many scenes. Feel free to break them up into many scenes and xref them into your scene for an easy render and the ability to turn visibility off of sections dismissing the “chugging” the program has when placing cameras in large scenes!

3ds Max Design review by Agency in Internet
Agency in Internet

"3DS Max Design is AMAZING"

What do you like best?

The fact that it's intuitive. The rendering times are amazing when you're using it with a verified graphics card. I myself use a 1060 6GB GTX. The greatest part of the program is how it renders with VRAY. STUNNING RESULTS. The way the camera angles are and how you can use your keyboard to move the camera angles, brilliant! You do have to press the two up and down arrow keys together in order to activate it.

What do you dislike?

I wish I could figure out how to make them have in-app tutorials and tips. I really wish VRAY materials were a bit more intuitive, hard to use a lot of the time if you don't know or haven't used them. It takes a bit to get through tutorials, but when you do the results are stunning!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Read Tutorials on Lighting and Setting up Stages!

Clients are extremely happy with the level of detail we can produce! We do all types of design including cars, scenes, products, and even logos!

3ds Max Design review by Marco L.
Marco L.

"Depending on your working area, it can be best ( or worst ) 3d software ever created !"

What do you like best?

3ds max has a huge number of tools. The interface is clear and if you come from Autocad it is extremely easy to use it. Software most common features are very stable and even with not a latest pc it will work without crashing. Software has nice built-in tools but if they are not enough you can expand them with a pletora of free or commercial add-ons. It has an internal scripting language so that with a bit of practice it is possible to write own tools. In general it is the perfect software to be used for architectural 3d / rendering works or industrial design concepts and presentations. What i also like is the simplicity to create / modify materials and applying them with biult-in texturing tools.

By using it with a 3d mouse it be becomes even more powerfull.

What do you dislike?

Some features, like physical simulations or some add-ons may create stability issues.

It has a tons of animation tools ... but sometimes they are not so user friendly.

It has many features that are just a legacy from previous releases that noboy still use .... and that by being deleted could make the software going faster.

Last thing that i don't like is that, if you have a 4k screen, the interface can't be correctly displayed ... you may need to use 2017 release (if you can afford it) or interface will work correctly by having resolution of the screen fixed to 1920x1080 maximum.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Even if there are many 3d softwares .. that may sound cheaper or more appealing, 3ds max design is a solid tool, with a good company support and a lot of resources on the web that may help you solving any possible issue.

Architectures, interiors, concept designs are made in a while !!

Autocad compatibility makes this software a must-have in any architectural pipline

3ds Max Design review by Kevin W.
Kevin W.

"Clean UI, snappy renders"

What do you like best?

Love the speedy, quality rendering and snappy interface. The camera switcher and time-line are great, and the system handles imported vector art like a pro. Lighting is a snap and looks great too.

What do you dislike?

The modeling tools are clunky and hidden, some types of modeling have to be added as modifiers and the shaping tools are harder to switch between and quickly iterate in the view pane unlike Maya. Particle physics are a pain without a good third party plug-in.

I'm able to model alongside our product manager to visualize upcoming products in a 3D environment. We can see the product from various angles and make modifications based on how it moves as well as what it looks like in different lighting. The final renders give our engineering team a solid foundation for production of the finished product.

3ds Max Design review by Erdem B.
Erdem B.

"3D Modeling and Animation Sofware with wide ranging tools, especially with plugins."

What do you like best?

- I can model, animate and render without leaving max environment.

- It has been around for many years, which makes it easy to find learning materials and assets.

- There are lots of plugins and scripts for Max. Things get really easy, fast and better.

- I can begin wtih a basic box then end up with a complex sculptural form after some manipulation.

- Pretty solid import and export support, especially for other Autodesk formats.

What do you dislike?

- Quite weak NURBS system.

- Working with curves needs improvement.

- Snapping, and parametric modeling is difficult for a software with "Design" in its name.

- What makes Design version different, does not make a big difference for designers.

- Rendering is quite slow without a plugin.

- Working with pivots gets complicated and frustrating sometimes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There is not a considerable difference between Max and Max Design, if you are not using it for architectural design and rendering.

If you are a product designer, consider Max for rendering and animation use only, but depend on NURBS and Solid CAD software for modeling.

I would recommend using V-Ray for rendering, since it is faster, it renders with good quality and compliments 3ds Max without much trouble.

Form Study: As a designer, I generally use NURBS and Solid modeling software, which might require quite some time to build a comprehensive model. I use box modeling technique in 3ds Max to develop quick study models and variations, in order to get a rough idea about the intended form.

Concept Modeling: Speed comes handy, while dealing with concepts. Once I create the rough model and proportions, I continue with adding details or modifying the model by utilizing subdivisions.

Rendering: I use it for rendering stills and animation for print and web use. Using an additional render engine like V-Ray, it gives a good idea on how my design is really going to look.

3ds Max Design review by shambhavi k.
shambhavi k.

"3ds MAX review"

What do you like best?

It was the very first 3d software I learnt and the thing I like is its very efficient and not much bugs as maya and I love the fact that it is very stable and makes your work easy.

What do you dislike?

The interface is that user friendly and not much easy for the amateurs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The interface will be overwhelming when use first start to use so do not get panic when you start, watch tutorials first and then it will be very easy to use.

I use it for 3d modelling, animating and texturing.

3ds Max Design review by Jennifer L.
Jennifer L.

"Intuitive"

What do you like best?

How easy it is to navigate thru the program and how helpful "Autodesk 3ds max Help" is.

What do you dislike?

When the file/model gets too large, it tends to crash a lot.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have used any other cad software, 3ds max is really easy to pick up. It is easy to navigate thru the software and the rendering output is great!

I am using it mainly to design for exhibit booths or interiors. The rendering quality along with animation capabilities are very helpful to sell the proposed design to potential clients.

3ds Max Design review by User in Civil Engineering
User in Civil Engineering

"Powerful software with highly effective results, despite the clunky user experience"

What do you like best?

The ability to produce fantastic renders once you have got over the learning curve. Finding your way around the software can be difficult, but once the basics are mastered then the results and outputs can be stunning. This is especially useful in my field (transport planning) using the built in Civil View plugin, which can quickly import a Civil 3D file and convert this to a render in a short space of time (minimum half day)

What do you dislike?

The user interface by far. It is best described as clunky, with oddly placed functions buried in menus or tabs. Once many objects have been imported, it is very sluggish to use and can easily grind to a halt if the user is unfamiliar with the software and tries to import complex geometry.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use Civil 3D in conjunction with 3DS Max for road design rendering.

Renders of large infrastructure projects are a powerful tool in conveying proposed changes to the wider public and stakeholders.

3ds Max Design review by Aris G.
Aris G.

"The best universal purpose 3D sofware"

What do you like best?

3DS MAX is great for designers, animators and architects. You can achieve any goal with so many ways possible. For professionals there are a lot of shortcuts. For beginners there are icons and short videos to get started with the new tools. It has its own ways of rendering, animating, modeling, texturing but it also has support for third party plug ins that really bring 3ds max to the next level, like VRay and Corona.

What do you dislike?

It sometimes Crushes it has a lot of little bugs that are being ignored by developers. The new versions are not really bringing huge changes but are mostly cosmetic with a little new features. The older versions do not recognize files saved on the newer versions no matter how simple the scenes are

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're more into animating complicated models, particles, clothing than 3ds max is not the best choice out there and Autodesk Maya will do the thing better but anyway 3DS MAX has all the tools for that goal too. If you're an architect looking for additional 'none-100%-accurate in case of metrics modeling and high-quality rendering of both interiors and exteriors than this is the best software for you. If you're getting started with any field of 3D then 3DS MAX is probably the best choice for you.

I'm Using 3DS MAX for more than 8 years already. I use it for architectural rendering, little animations for commercials, industrial modeling etc.

3ds Max Design review by Clément B.
Clément B.

"Complexe software, for polygonal lovers"

What do you like best?

Honestly, I am not such a big fan of polygonal 3D conception. So what I liked the best is the simplicity to build complexe forms through the basic tools. ( basically you just start from a box, add spans on it and start to play with.)

What do you dislike?

First, the interface is really, really oldschool, and definitely not intuitive. When you begin with a new software, you like when the interface is welcoming, when pop up' can help you . But on 3DS MAX, I always had pain to find tools, and almost understand the way that the software is making your 3D.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For all who would start 3D modeling, I advise you to move to an other software. For understand the basic of 3D, this not this software, 3DS MAX that I can advise you.

You can find much more cheaper on internet and definitely easier to use.

Get a second screen on your computer for the tools menus.

For fast sketch modeling, it 's helpfull for going one step further. You've just finished your hand sketch, take it on your desk and you can see what it's look likes in 3D. Even if the surfaces are not nice and the curvature not perfectly correct, you will can correct things that you didn't saw on your sketch.

The Benefits are easy rendering, of course retouched on photoshop after but great. ( renders not made on 3DS MAX)

3ds Max Design review by Gabriel H.
Gabriel H.

"Complete tool for design and visualization"

What do you like best?

I consider 3DSMAX, the perfect tool for a designer as long you can have almost everything you need in one pack. It's a very advanced software that offers the chance for the user to acces multiple tools .

- Poligonal Modelling

- Integrated Rendering tool

- Well optimized and compatible with a large variety of formats.

- Great results using Realistic Viewport with Shaders.

What do you dislike?

- Nurbs Modelling need a big change ( Optimisation for Alias/ Maya Nurbs surfaces / New curves etc)

- Missing Scultping Tools .

- Some versions crash quite often .

- Missing a propper measurement system

- Requires a lot of Ram to import Nurbs Surfaces (Iges / Step / etc )

Recommendations to others considering the product

3dsMax is the software that I am working with fot more than 8 Years and i recommended it to various people I have met, I can say I like everything about this software, but i think the essential features for a new user are:

- Friendly Interface

- Advanced tools for Animation / Modelling

- One of the best software for rendering using Mentalray / Vray / Corona etc

- Highly used in Game / Film Industry

Create high quality 3d models for various domains:

- High poly : Automotive / Product

- Low poly : Gaming Industry

- Animation

- Particle simulation

3ds Max Design review by Zaher M.
Zaher M.

"best 3d modeling , textureing ,aniumating , designing and rendering program , "

What do you like best?

well , i love it all , all about it is well orgenized , tool bars and menues , navigating , modifing and editing tools , hotkeys and fast access to commands which make ur design come to live quick ,

editing 3d modells is the best part , with a long range from tools and modifires which are very limited in another designing and drawing programs like Autocad ,,

textureing , lighting , animating and rendering ,, exporting play a big part too , i have export a lot of architectural models to use it in another programs , and importing DWG and DXF just as easy as open a new file ,

What do you dislike?

long time while rendering ,,, and this program need a kurs before using it , its not an easy program to use , designers should have the skills and the experiance to weork perfectly on it , scripting is something we need to learn it , i know we can doa lot of things useing it

Recommendations to others considering the product

well , a long range 3d editing and texturing and animating and rendering tools u can use almost all relworld things as vertual in here to build ur design , put a sun , and phisical camera and get ur shot ;)

modeling and build up 3d models , houses , even charachters ,,, camera , texture , rendering , exporting and importing between autocad , sketchup , lumion ,

preparing 3d model to engrave or cnc printer, well ,. alot of things

3ds Max Design review by Daniel A.
Daniel A.

"There are a lot of 3d softwares, then there is 3d studio max"

What do you like best?

Well there is a huge posibilitys, all ways to do your ideas in 3d, its a big software, render quality, its a commercial software, is the software i learn, and the software i teach, many people use it, or want to learn how to, i like the many things to do,

The animation options its very complete, i think its one of the best animation sets you can ever meet, however you should take a huge lessons so then you can put on practice all your animation knoledge,

the modeling tools are so nice, you can model everything in different ways, you can model from a simple toy, to a complex vehicle, its amazing, every 3d artist have ti try it, even whe you use another software, so this is it!!!

What do you dislike?

its pretty much complex, and i think i takes many time to learn how to use it well, you have to study a lot.

its very expensive, the interface require experience of use.

its hard to learn at the begining, you never end of earning it, it is a shame there are not many training centers in my city, there woulde be a great, by other side, it should be more easy to run and instal other plugins,

Recommendations to others considering the product

Study a lot, study geometry, be aware of the new improvements

im working on the advertising area, brand events, stands or boths, and product and space design.

3ds Max Design review by Srinivas J.
Srinivas J.

"3ds Max Design Wonderful Product"

What do you like best?

To be franks this is the main software I use on a daily basis, At the start it took me a while but its a never ending learning experience, there is always something new that you might even find out by chance.

It is user friendly and can handle a lot of jobs , Like the integration of vray rendering engine into this.

What do you dislike?

sometime it gives up on you, when the load of the job gets high it simply crashes, you may get a recovery file but not always with the latest changes you have made with the model.

and sometimes small bugs that i still am trying to understand why, eg one of the views just suddenly says disabled and i cant use it properly unless i restart the software.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want to learn modeling or rendering techniques you will always find great tutorials online for 3ds Max and I consider this software for hardsurface modeling, game art, interior design, photorealistic renders

Network rendering and using your own max scripts for your convenience, making it much more adaptable to techniques you can generate yourself for modeling or texturing, animating, rendering.

3ds Max Design review by Kyryl S.
Kyryl S.

"3ds Max Review "

What do you like best?

The program has a huge potential. We can make with it almost everything from still images to live videos.

It easy to find tutorials online, especially official, that are most useful.

It is always updating, and team is moving in correct dirrection, there still a lot of improvments needed, but they are on the good way.

What do you dislike?

I really dont like interface, because it is not sensible, i mean that i dont feel there comfortable, i need to think what and where to find.

Also built-in render engines are horrible, i need to spend extra money for other render engines, such as V-Ray or Corona Renderer.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just use it, its brilliant, but there is a couple of improvements needed

Try to make a lot of studies before working with any program, because, there is a huge problem, that people do bad product just because they dont know program, not the talent or creativity kills product, but bad preparation.

I am architect, so i am making in 3Ds Max interior and exterior visualizations of buildings.

3Ds Max is more productive than Maya or Unreal Engine or even Cinema 4D for architecture needings, that why our company is using Autodesk products.

Plus we are working in Revit, so that it is comfortable to link file directly from one software to another, and work with the latest version of the model.

3ds Max Design review by User in Entertainment
User in Entertainment

"3D Modeling for games"

What do you like best?

I am both user of Maya and 3ds Max. What I like the best about this program is the modifier stack!. Using the modifiers that come with this software make the process faster when modeling 3D objects. One example of using the modifier stack is creating the thread of a tire and using a pathdeform modifier to align it to the shape of the tire.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that program can often crash, Just like Maya, this program can seem overwhelming to beginners. Lots of tutorials and practice will help you get faster.

I use 3ds max at work to model objects for games. I usually start with the high poly model here, then send it to Zbrush.

3ds Max Design review by Suvir H.
Suvir H.

"Great architectural and industrial design rendering software. "

What do you like best?

Lighting options - a great variety and customizable.

Mental ray rendering of materials simulate close to real life

Move tool with axes are helpful in adjusting components in a controlled manner

Daylighting, sun and time location very helpful

Animations - an interesting feature

What do you dislike?

The time it takes to render. Often one has to test scenes multiple times to get the desired output, however the time involved in carrying the procedure on an i7 intel core processor is still slow.

Too many buttons. Unlike AutoCAD where one is enabled to type in commands to model, render, etc, 3ds Max required excessive clicking which can slow down the workflow.

Keyboard shortcuts - ctrl +v is copy!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Analyze Keyshot, Rhino Render as the workflow on these softwares reduce the need for post production softwares such as Adobe Photoshop and After Effects (for videos).

The modifier tab is one of the software's selling points. While parametric modeling may still not be carried out on a 3ds platform, the modifier command enables minor adjustments.

Lighting when cloned as instances and modified save a lot of time using the modifier tab by just selecting one of the clones.

While rendering on the cloud is a great feature in the new update, the interface of 3ds Max design has however been a disappointment, with additional commands that occupy more screen space, which are not helpful to me personally.

3ds Max Design review by Divyanshu M.
Divyanshu M.

"Perfect tool for Poly modelling Animation and Render"

What do you like best?

It's all in 1 package. under 1 platform you can do modelling, Rigging, Animation, Rendering. 3Ds Max is a very powerful in order to create Poly models, Animations or Renders.

What do you dislike?

Interface is to complicated. With new interface all in black from Autodesk made appearance of this tool even complicated. I believe there is lot of scope in terms of tool management, User friendly, Speed.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I believe this tool is really complicated and 1 can take years to get used to it. Start with Modelling then rigging animation and Rendering. Also will recommend to check Maya before you start learning 3Ds Max

I am using 3Ds max to model Basic environments and to render Still images for Automotive industry.

3ds Max Design review by Eric M.
Eric M.

"Still the leader in Arch-Vis Arena, but others are gaining"

What do you like best?

The strength of 3ds Max is it's modelling tools for architectural visualization, as well as other technical fields. It's integration with tools such as AutoCad, Inventor and other AutoCad products make it hard to beat as far as ability. Combine that with the industries strongest plug-in offering and unmatched 3rd party rendering support (Vray, Mental Ray, Octane) and its no-brainer if you are in the Arch-Vis Industry.

For instance, the Populate module (a crowd simulation tool) is easy to use and powerful. It comes with 40,000 elements and is a tremendous time saver if you need to animate your walk-through. There are a variety of model types depending on what you need, from rough ideas with stick figures to more high resolution options. You can also create stationary areas for people to mix in, while being casually animated. Like the animation path, you simply draw the areas where you want them to congregate. There are sliders for things like how dense the crowd is and the gender of the figures, so the crowd types can be managed according to the situation.

The most exciting feature Max has had in years is the Max Creation Graph (MCG) which allows users to create their own modifiers, utilities and geometric objects with a node based interface similar to the Slate material editor. MCG alone makes the time and cost investment in 3DS Max 2016 worthwhile

What do you dislike?

The interface has seen better days. The sheer amount of functionality, added throughout the years, has turned the interface into something that requires a much higher learning curve than needed. The command line renderer, allowing one to render without using resources dedicated to managing the UI, needs an overhaul. The UI is just too outdated with no support for hi-DPI displays and constant flickering, user experience design.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need to work in Arch-Vis, then 3ds is the tool for you. It's definitely due for a major overhaul, but it's the standard as far as working with the Product Design, Vis, Architectural, Building, CAD\CAM industry. There are some other tools that have a more modern workflow like Modo, but as long as Autodesk produces it, Max will reign.

Allowed us to be compatible with almost every architecture firm. We do not use the product in-house anymore as we have transitioned out of Arch-Vis. But when we did, it was a tremendous asset in allowing us to ingest any file.

3ds Max Design review by Carla José L.
Carla José L.

"Amazing renders"

What do you like best?

It works very good with objects imported from a lot of softwares and the rendering is very realistic. You don't need a lot of skill to make a very good render. It's very easy to create materials, and if you don't want to create them you always can download a material library, there's a lot of resources to download.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the lack of precision when you design something and when you move something. Every time you zoom in a joint corner you see they are not perfectly joined. You need a very good computer to run this software.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You should have a very powerful computer to run this software comfortably. The render time depends on the capacity of the computer. You can reach amazing 3d renders in short time and very easily.

This software make amazing 3ds realistic renders in short time and very easy. Helps me to show my clients how their product will look before they manufactured them.

3ds Max Design review by Conor L.
Conor L.

"A Powerful 3D Creation Tool"

What do you like best?

3DS max is a far more user friendly tool when compared to its counterparts (c4d and maya). The UI is clean and concise, and everything you need is right in front of you. On top of that, I find that the base tools are incredibly powerful, and can be used to create some complex objects with some practice. With physic tools such as Reactor and rendering tools such as Raytrace and Mental Ray - 3DS Max can be a complete tool.

What do you dislike?

There is a steep learning curve to the software. There are also some limitations to polygonal creation that the competitors (namely Maya) do better. Other than that you can't go wrong!

Recommendations to others considering the product

It really depends on what you're more comfortable with - I was trained on Max first - so I'm more comfortable with it than Maya.

I use 3DS Max for two purposes, one is to create elements for my films (monsters, background elements, destructive pieces, etc). The other is create models for 3D printing - which are then incorporated into props or miniature designs for pre-productions.

3ds Max Design review by User in Education Management
User in Education Management

"Very well known with the software"

What do you like best?

Modeling and texturing are my major daily work with 3Ds max.

What do you dislike?

I'm not into VFX and animation, animation are very powerful in 3Ds Max but I don't like it so much and the way it works

Recommendations to others considering the product

3Ds Max consider as a standard 3D package in the market, lots of studios using it as their primary software.

If you are using 3Ds Max then you will find lots of studios using 3Ds Max in their pipeline and workflow, it will be easy for you to find a job by using this amazing software

Usually product visualization and game's models... there are so many rendering engines that I use with Max

3ds Max Design review by Hamza H.
Hamza H.

"inspires creativity"

What do you like best?

the interface is very user friendly

the adaptation of plugins is quite useful since most of the 3rd party software work with it such as {Vray-forest.. etc }

the modeling methodology is very easy and straight forward

in general using the software feels very fluid and accurate for architectural visualization.

What do you dislike?

creating characters with 3ds max is not as easy as for example " Zbrush " it limits the creativity on that side of design.

and the orbiting speed goes down fast with big files.

the lack of parametric modeling features

integrating REVIT models into 3ds max is quite troublesome , its really hard to link the files and keep the link for a long time, you tend to simply export and import the file over and over instead of simply updating the link.

autosave feature is nice but canceling the autosave doesnt always work, sometimes with large files the model gets heavy and when it autosaves it freezes for 10 15 minutes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

figure out the purpose of the software before committing to it, it takes a while to learn and even longer to perfect the craft, it will be hard to shift to something like zbrush or maya if you find out later that you picked the wrong software for your field.

architectural visualization

3D printing

simply put, the presentation is never complete without 3ds max

i v sold many projects thanks to a simple 3D render

3ds Max Design review by Troy K.
Troy K.

"Video Games Industry "

What do you like best?

Its a quick and easy software once learned. Everything is within the right mouse click button in terms of mesh selection. It has such useful tools such as Bridge, Cap hole and Shift + Click and drag being the Extrude tool. The layer editor is pretty cool too!, I like the light bulb and freeze icon's, easily understood and well layed out. Overall the software helps get my 3D work done very quick. I transferred from Maya to 3DS Max, learnt it within 4 weeks, from then on Max is my best friend.

What do you dislike?

I haven't really found the lights useful, maybe I should learn how to use them better. Although they still did a great job!.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Go ahead, get stuck in and learn, study hard, you'll get there. Once you have 3DS Max in your knowledge, its all upwards from there, cheers.

Throughout my years applying for Video Games/3D Artist jobs I have felt the bitterness of being rejected and having to limit myself to Maya. Since learning and using 3DS Max, I have widened my 3D experience and can apply for pretty much any job. Lets face it 3DS Max is the 3D industries most common 3D package.

3ds Max Design review by Giana C.
Giana C.

"3DSMax makes the best quality digital renderings for interiors."

What do you like best?

The level of detail and materiality in the final renderings is impeccable almost 100% of the time. Using the material editor and its many tools (especially bump maps), make for amazing final renderings when rendered in Vray and/or Mental Ray.

What do you dislike?

I dislike modeling in place because the controls are quite different from other programs which can get tricky to use. I also dislike that in certain renderings, Omni-lights create unsightly glares on certain materials, even if the material's reflectivity is turned down. Rendering time is also quite long, I've had projects take up to 3 1/2 hours while rendering in Mental Ray which makes it hard to show clients fast renderings.. in which case Revit may be a better program to use.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend becoming familiar with basic rendering programs and their controls before using 3DS Max. I would also highly recommend using VRAY over Mental Ray when rendering because renderings are completed at a much faster pace. If you have more time, use Mental Ray.

. I have benefited from knowing how sunlight hits spaces, what materials work/don't work, and how well the space speaks of final designs.

3ds Max Design review by John A.
John A.

"3D Studio Max 2016"

What do you like best?

There is a lot to like about 3D Studio Max. It's modeling tools are some of the best in the business. 3DS Max uses a modifier stack process that functions as layers similar to what you might find in Photoshop. There are a number of methods available for modelers which makes it very versatile. 3DS Max also has a great material editor and some fairly powerful rendering tools.

What do you dislike?

My biggest complaint about 3DS Max is their lack of VFX support. Since Autodesk removed Reactor from the software, there really aren't many great options for visual effects. Particle Flow is great for some basic to mid-range particle rendering, however fluid simulation is completely absent and some basic simulations like rope are difficult and clumsy to achieve. 3DS Max is really behind the eight ball in this regard.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're looking for a great modeling and rendering package, 3DS Max has everything you need. There are better options though for Visual Effects and for Animation tools in general. One other thing to consider. 3DS Max has an annoying glitch in their scaling tools. Non-uniform scaling in the top level or object mode can result in some pretty nasty parenting issues, especially when rigging. Always scale in sub-object mode or make sure to reset your xform after scaling. This is critical if you want to prevent hours of lost production time.

Our company creates medical and forensic animation and for the most part, 3DS Max solves most of our problems and work s very well. As mentioned before, VFX options are limited and we tend to utilize other software packages like Cinema4D for those solutions.

3ds Max Design review by Grace Stephanie M.
Grace Stephanie M.

"I've been working with 3D max for years now"

What do you like best?

I found 3D Max really friendly for modeling and texturing. I've been using it for several years now since i graduated from college, 3D max is the number one 3d software in my country, big and small studios use it for Mobiles games, tv commercials, architectural visualization and short films. It's really easy to learn and is compatible with other commonly used software. I love the easy autosave feature and all the vray renders possibilities. I love the backburner render it's perfect. populates is super easy to use and so fast.

What do you dislike?

Changing files from one version (year) to another needs some extra steps that are really annoying. Some times if you forget, you can't use your files at all, Sometimes the software crashes or the file gets damaged usually with high levels of smooth or with too many modifiers. Sometimes exporting and importing goes wrong, you have to be very careful.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Practice, a lot, is the only way to master something. Also experiment, you can achieve one model in like 3 differents ways. Always create more than 5 autobacks, sometimes you change your mid or the power goes off. Remember saving a lot of versions of your file, specially if you work with difficult clients. Changing from 3D max to 3D Maax design is not difficult, there some extra things in one than the other doesn't have.

Every day clients related changes and last minute problems.

3ds Max Design review by Riccardo D.
Riccardo D.

"Best Architectural - Visualisation software for modeling and animation"

What do you like best?

After some years of experience i say that: Max is the standard for 3D Arch-Viz projects.

Architectural Visualisation is vital for an architect that approach a new building creation.

With max i find a solid and efficient workflow to produce architectural images and video starting from the scratch.

The main thing about 3d max Design is the huge amount of plug-ins and related software connected.

For example even for our courses here in SOA Academy we use 3d max related with plug-ins and scripts like: Forest Pro, Railclone, Grow FX, V-ray, Rendermask, Id tool, Multiscatter, MightyTiles, Bercon Maps, Relink Bitmaps.

Another great thing is keyboard shortcut that look really similar with other software like Autodesk Autocad.

What do you dislike?

Maybe the only thing that i dislike is the User interface that looks like a 90's software.

Recommendations to others considering the product

My best recommendation is save constantly progressive. Is the only way to produce a 3d model without any error. Another tips that i personally recommend is try to use scene saved without any crash, for example avoid the use of autoback files.

Basically i use max from 6 years and i use a workflow that allows me to produce images and animation in a simple way. When i use max i feel like i'm in a Tank. It's stable and solid maybe for now the only choice in the Arch-viz world.

Even if look inside my personal works you will see that i use Max for every new project.

Inside that one for example I personally designed the entire 3d tower with 3dmax and railclone pro.

3ds Max Design review by Paula C.
Paula C.

"Great tool to produce realistic renderings"

What do you like best?

I usually use 3ds Max combined to other render plug-ins to produce realistic scenes for my Architecture projects. The interface is not difficult to understand and I can create materials, textures really fast. Another great feature of this software is the possibility to work with Revit, change the model on Revit and see it updated on 3ds Max. It save a lot of time.

What do you dislike?

About the interface: I wish it could have smaller icons to save more space in my window. If you have 2 big screen to work with 3ds Max, that is dream. Another important point is that you need a good computer configuration to use it. I spent some money buying new computer parts to improve my machine and the result is great.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want a software to model or just render scenes of your project, 3ds Max is a great choice. You can create realistic scenes, materials, textures using it or combine it to other plugins to get even better results.

Using 3ds Max I could produce realistic scenes for projects for the first time. It helped me improve the quality of my presentations in college and also in an architectural firm as summer intern. Using this software you also can set up many machines to render the images any time you like. I did my animation project using 3ds Max. The best benefit to me is the quality of the results.

3ds Max Design review by Rafael B.
Rafael B.

"3ds Max: The Bread & Butter of 3d Software"

What do you like best?

I like 3ds Max for its all-around versatility. Being an industry standard when it comes to 3d work, you can use it for almost any kind of 3d work imaginable. In addition to that, the program supports hundreds of plug-ins which add to its already loaded features.

What do you dislike?

Aside from its wide variety of useful features and capabilities, 3ds Max also has obsolete features included within it to aid in backwards compatibility with older versions. These obsolete features, I would consider, merely clutter up the workspace and would probably be better if they were updated in new versions or removed altogether.

Recommendations to others considering the product

3ds Max is one of the oldest 3d software in the world; its history goes back in the 1980s. This means that its interface is modeled based on a tried and tested design, which might not fit in with the preferences of people who are accustomed to newer 3d software with more streamlined interfaces.

I would recommend to prospecting users of this program to learn the interface first and foremost.

The main business problem I'm currently trying to solve is figuring out what area in the 3d industry to focus on. 3ds Max has a wide variety of capabilities which means its users, like me, have a wide variety of options in the 3d industry to choose from.

3ds Max Design review by Antoine G.
Antoine G.

"Good software for soft and natural shapes"

What do you like best?

The software is one of the most complete. A lot of functionnalities and very powerfull ! You are very free and can do a lot with it, from modeling to rendering.

I like animations with it, when you get to know it you can do really good animations quite easily and fast !

What do you dislike?

The interface is very old, it didn't evolved a lot from the beggining and it is really not intuitive. You have to pass several long hours on it in order to be a bit fluent with the interface. It is really a big problem with it. Everything is not natural and learning is very hard.

Sometime the software is so advanced that you dont know what some options are made for.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are not affraid to waste time and want good renders, create animations or make free shapes, try it!

I really improved the quality of my renderings with 3Dsmax and Vray.

Natural and organic shapes are really Easy to do with it and help me on several projects.

3ds Max Design review by Amit P.
Amit P.

"3DS Max"

What do you like best?

A great tool for data visualization for non-programmers is my favorite part. The Max Creation Graph can be used to animate simulation data in CFD, .CSV, or OpenVDB formats. I love that more and more formats for export capabilities are supported now. Makes the tool much more versatile.

The ability to apply rendering styles, and CFD velocity fields, and animate airflow splines to make accurate data is pretty handy as well. In my personal opinion, 3DS Max is by far the best tool for scientific and engineering applications.

What do you dislike?

It is often marketed as a creative tool for the gaming, characters and film markets, in which case I prefer Maya over 3DS Max. I find it lacking a ton of features when it comes to creative applications. Maya is the industry leader on that front.

As mentioned earlier for data visualization, scientific and engineering applications 3DS Max is an excellent tool.

One of the other key elements (recently added to the latest version of 3DS Max 2016) is the Max Creation Graph capability. I simply love this new node-based tool and content creation environment.

3ds Max Design review by Javier W.
Javier W.

"3ds max 2014"

What do you like best?

Is very powerful, It has hidden tools that are usually very effective.

In general, all programs, plugins and 3D models are based in 3ds max.

Also, it is lately adding plugins that are quite effective.

It's good the possibility of changing the toolbars.

Splines management, and also vertices is very interesting.

What do you dislike?

It is not friendly, is not has an interface easy to understand (like another 3D programs).

I struggled to learn some things, and configuration of the program is somewhat complex.

You should have a better graphical configuration with older video boards.

Asset tracking should be reviewed, is pretty hard to understand right.

A major problem still unresolved, are the constant "crashes" of the program, the bugs.

Usually it closes without notice and without save it anything.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take your time and patience to learn it.

I solve 3D visualization for architects and designers.

3ds Max Design review by User in Machinery
User in Machinery

"machine animation"

What do you like best?

Autodesk 3ds Max is really user friendly and works great with model from Autodesk Inventor. I would recommend this to anyone whole needs to do machine animation for customer presentations.

What do you dislike?

cant really come up with many dislikes for autodesk 3Ds Max. the biggest thing it that it can do too much for just what I use it for I can sometime get lost in features I don't need.

I am mainly using this to animate machines and plant flows for customers to give them a better Idea of the floor layout and work flow. I am planning on using it in the future for 3D printing

3ds Max Design review by Irene T.
Irene T.

"hard to learn but wonderful "

What do you like best?

I like the giant number of actions and tools you can use to create and modify models. Everyday there's something new to learn!

What do you dislike?

A few tools were removed in the latest versions such as "select by material" tool and the interface is less simple... Moreover I come from vectorial programs such as Autocad and I find it hard to draw approximately with a not-so-consistent system of coordinates. I think developers could work in order to make it more stable... it easy get stuck while drawing... adn i tried it with different laptops and computers...

I design 3D models, animate and render scenes.

3ds Max Design review by Ahmed E.
Ahmed E.

"very good Reliably product"

What do you like best?

program stability, no crashes, loosing work is not possible anymore

also the populate feature added in 2014 is really helpful in heavy animation scenes.

ability to use vray and corona is also very helpful.

the distributed rendering in vray plugin is an amazing feature for designers who would like to render scenes faster.

What do you dislike?

exporting files in fbx or 3ds. it usually exported with problems or damaged. the exported file always missing materials, so i have to use max standard extension to avoid such issues.

in the populate features you can't add sitting people in 2014 version.

Recommendations to others considering the product

just use it. it's stability and its performance makes you feel like a powerful designer

i'm an interior designer so i'm using 3ds max design to present design ideas for clients. that's how to make deals with clients.

3ds Max Design review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Excellent 3D software"

What do you like best?

3ds Max is the first 3D software I learnt for modelling, animation and rendering. I have to say it has very powerful modelling tools allowing me to create complex 3D models. It also has simple and intuitive interface making it very user friendly to use for beginners and learners.

What do you dislike?

3ds Max is only available on Windows and not available for Mac OS or Linux users. This is a big downside for those users especially when Mac OS users are so popular already.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is very suitable for someone who just started learning 3D modelling because of it's user friendly interface. It is also suitable for project that involves complex modelling and architectural visualisation.

I have been using it on school projects and small contract projects. It's easy to use and very user friendly.

3ds Max Design review by Alexandr G.
Alexandr G.

"3d art in 3d max"

What do you like best?

Traditional interface, stable working process, adjustable and flexible workspace, compatible with many other software file formats, super powerful features and functions, you can use this software in huge variety of different spheres, like an architecture, gaming industry, interior design, film making, furniture production, web developing and design and many others.

What do you dislike?

The price is very high, sometimes it is too complicated to reach customer support and get real help to solve the problem, license validation service and licensing it self is awful.

Recommendations to others considering the product

check if it's the right software for your purposes

Interior vizualisation, modeling, prototyping, standalone renderings

3ds Max Design review by Aaron J.
Aaron J.

"3DS Max"

What do you like best?

I have been using 3D Studio Max for a long time and Autodesk has continued to develop and grow the program. This program is very powerful and can great wonderful animations.

What do you dislike?

Like many of the 3D animation software that is available, it takes a pretty high learning curve to understand all the parts and pieces. If you combine that with the updates that take place every year, you can quickly find yourself lost in the program.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take you time and (if possible) get professional training. It will really pay off in the long run.

We find that it works very well with our graphic arts and rendering purposes. We can make images look much better if combined with the power in 3D Studio Max.

3ds Max Design review by Sam S.
Sam S.

"I have used 3DS Max for the past 20 years."

What do you like best?

I like the modeling tools the best as I use it the most often. Every iteration they come out with better tools to make my tasks easier. The customizable shortcuts are very good as well. The fact that I can move my interface around to suit my needs is also a plus. The animation tools seems to have improved as well, though I have not used a lot of them in my work it looks better every year.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the renderer that it comes with. They should just integrate Vray right into the software and dump mental ray altogether. I use Vray for all my work and nothing else.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The learning curve is not hard. There are lots of tutorials for the software, I know because I am self taught. Look at magazines for tutorials and updates. New software, methods and techniques come out each year.

I don't solve any business problems that I know of. I use the software for my contract and personal work.

Learning about 3ds Max Design?

* We monitor all 3ds Max Design reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.