3ds Max Design

3ds Max Design software is a comprehensive 3D design, modeling, animation, and rendering solution for architects, designers, civil engineers, and visualization specialists.

Work for 3ds Max Design?

Learning about 3ds Max Design?

3ds Max Design Reviews

Showing 180 3ds Max Design reviews
3ds Max Design review by Mateo V.
Mateo V.

"Very versatile software, It gives the user endless possibilities"

What do you like best?

As a 3D generalist what i like the best is its modeling tools, which are very versatile and easy to use, and also very easy to learn. Uv tools are also great, yo can do UV on any object pretty fast, and with amazing quality, which is very great since you can solve most of the things inside the same software, so you don't need to be switching software for all the necessities that the industry has.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the interface, which sometimes its a bit buggy. And autorig features are not very easy to learn, making it hard to use them. Anyway in the last version of 3ds Max they changed completely the interface, and it actually works a lot better and faster than in previous versions of the software, all of the menus are undockable so you can adapt everything for your needs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would highly recommend it, since it can cover the needs of a vast range of fields, from architectural visualization, VFX, videogames, animation and so much other things.

I do modeling, Uv mapping, texturing and rendering, mainly use it for character retopology, since the software has a lots of tools for this purpose and makes the process quite simple. Also since it is a very complete software you can do everything from modeling, animation, to final render, and of course you have the posibility of using the 3d rendering plugin of your choice, anyway if you want you can do pretty well with 3ds max own rendering engines, that offer high quality results also. So with 3ds Max you have pretty much everything covered.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about 3ds Max Design
3ds Max Design review by Viken K.
Viken K.

"3DS Max Design - A Niche Application"

What do you like best?

The opportunity to advance your purpose is powerful and impressive, notably in the eyes of our clients. The ability to render an idea, or to express a vision to our client gives us a competitive edge in winning bids and delivering solutions that exceed that of our competitors.

What do you dislike?

In my experience with the software, 3DS Max Design is principally an aesthetic deliverable. We focus more on engineering tools by Autodesk to realize the core solutions that we are selling to the client. Step 1, impress and win bid. Step 2, realize vision with engineering tools.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a difficult question to answer... bridging the learning curve between users being "beginners" and "advanced" would ensure a better products.

As mentioned previously, it gives us an additional dimension to our voice, our vision, our deliverables.

What 3D Modeling solution do you use?

3ds Max Design review by Marissa P.
Marissa P.

"3Ds max is my go-to for 3d modeling "

What do you like best?

I use polygons and nurbs in my 3d design, so 3ds max makes it easy to convert from one format to another and then save in many different file formats. Without 3ds max I wouldn't be able to customize my models to such a specific degree in one multi-format platform. It is perfect for interior architecture, industrial design, jewelry models, animation models, organic forms, etc.

What do you dislike?

I don't really dislike anything, I do not use it for animation as much because you have to take many photos and then composite them together, unlike maya. I think rendering is always getting better. 3ds max must keep up with the current and changing file formats such as 3mf which they can have a plug-in for. 3ds max must remain competitive in the marketplace to avoid getting steam-rolled by an all-powerful all-in-one software which has not happened yet.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are ready for advanced 3D modeling, 3dsMax can be your go-to. I use 3ds max in conjunction with other products such as maya and gemvision matrix, which is another version of rhinoceros. Rendering has improved greatly over the years and I encourage people to customize the ambient environment and don't just depend on presets while rendering. Take your time.

50% of my business is creating 3d models and renders of said models. I am always changing and building on current and previous models. 3ds max makes this somewhat easy and is my reliable multi-format go-to program. It's like the jeep of 3d modeling programs.

3ds Max Design review by Mario G.
Mario G.

"3D Max for architectural use"

What do you like best?

The best property of 3D Max is the compatibility with the Autodesk software and some render engines. V Ray for example is one of the most amazing render engines, because its easy of use, however I think 3D Max and Autodesk need to partner with a big render engine company in order for they to offer their customers good rendering solutions.

3D Max itself, has a lot of great features though, like the modifiers and texturing tools that make texturizing your model so easy, compared with any other rendering software.

Also, it has a lot of advantage to get a knowledge of this program because it helps you improve your resume.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it is a little complicated to model directly on the software but once you learn how to use it is easy enough. Also sometimes is better to look aside, and see for any other rendering alternatives, because while 3D Max is supposed to meet industrial designers needs, for architectural design, there's a lot of softwares out there that can meet the same quality as 3D Max. Unfortunately 3D Max or autodesk haven't really spend that much time on getting quality control or a better render engine for their softwares. Lumion for example has been investing lots of time and efforts to do so.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you look for photorealistic results, then 3DS Max Design is your best way to achieve it.

Mental Ray is the default render engine and is not that great

3ds Max Design review by Richard T.
Richard T.

"3ds Max for anything 3d"

What do you like best?

3D Studio took me some time to get used to. Most of my modeling had been done either in Autodesk AutoCAD or Nevercenter Silo. The first was because most of my work was done there as a drafter and modeler. The latter was due to exceptional speed and easy of use and customization. Silo is still my main concept design tool before committing a final design.

With 3D Studio extra pains to configure the keyboard shortcuts to match my way of working. The result was the ability to work many times faster than before. I can now conceptualize, design and model whatever I need to without concern for missing tools or functions (such as material design and rendering). Best of all 3d Studio is an industry standard tool. As such there are a massive amount of plug-ins and scripts to enhance, improve or speed up the work done.

What do you dislike?

What's not to like? Complexity! As much as it has going for it 3D Studio is complex and not easy for many to learn. This is to be expected when software such as this has an extreme amount of features to work with. Once you understand the basics things get easier much faster but getting there is often problematic for beginners.

Other problems include an absolutely horrible SDK and buggy scripting. The new implementation of Max Creation Graph speeds up and improves on the old system dramatically but otherwise the system is often commented on as painful. It does, however, provide immense power for those wanting to extend 3D Studio further within reason. Going beyond a certain point in complexity reveals its drawbacks and shortcomings.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If your a CAD user 3ds Max Design is the most practical 3d solution. There are may others out there but none come close to the CAD world like 3d Studio. Take the time to learn the keyboard shortcuts and modify them to suit your work-flow or you will be floundering about and having a difficult time building up speed.

I needed to do get a great deal more serous with my work. I needed a full solution for concept design, finished models, materials and rendering. While I was able to do this with other programs but it took several programs to do what I am able to with just 3D Studio. I am now getting work done faster with more time to iterate and test before finalizing a design.

3ds Max Design review by Derek C.
Derek C.

"Worked as Lead 3d Artist for 5 years with this product. It's always my go-to for 3d graphics."

What do you like best?

Versatility. I've used this software for so many different types of projects it actually amazes me. From planning out woodworking projects, to fully animated characters for video, static and animated meshes for video games to product beauty shots and so much more.

What do you dislike?

That the software is so complex that I've never met a person that can utilize every single aspect. This isn't so much of a dislike as dismay that I'll never fully utilize 3ds Max to its full potential.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're new to 3d modeling or animation, the hurdle is high. There is SO MUCH to learn. However, if you've been experimenting with and/or using a 3d software package for a while, 3ds Max offers an nearly unlimited array of possibilites.

In my previous position, we would create environments for the US military for training scenarios, fully animated, voice-synced lifelike characters and detailed equipment renders. On occasion, we would develop static and animated meshes for import into other software packages like Unity or Virtual Battle Space 2. Currently, we use it for small, 3D environments, client equipment, tools and product beauty shots. Naturally, having the ability to change a camera view on a product or scene offers a ton of opportunity to elevate your work.

3ds Max Design review by Nickolas V.
Nickolas V.

"3D Designer"

What do you like best?

3DS Max can do just about anything you can imagine in the 3D realm. I have been using the software for 7 years, and have learned to model just about anything you can think of. Max has come a long way as well. I am now able to handle scenes with 50 million polygons (not that it is a common occurrence) There is also a lot of wiggle room when it comes to renderers. You have many choices from the basic renderer, to programs such as v-ray and corona.

What do you dislike?

There is not a lot I do not dislike. However there is one issue that I have had with every year of max up till 2016 that (to my knowledge) still has not been fixed. When I am in the settings tab and adjusting the light cache, If you press tab the entire program will freeze. I have encountered many issues where max crashes a lot.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking to make video games, animations, renders, graphic design, anything 3D related at all. 3ds max is a excellent answer! There are free programs, however 3DS Max is the standard world wide along with some other great products from autodesk (maya for example)

Originally i used max because I wanted to do video game design. It has now come to the point where I am doing renders for home theaters, Animations for youtube, or even graphic design. I have solved problems I never thought I would need to use max for. I run a youtube channel doing 3D tutorials on using the program for people who cannot afford to go to college. It is a huge problem around the world where kids are not blessed with the chance to go to college. So I have been able to help people by teaching them thru max.

3ds Max Design review by User in Defense & Space
User in Defense & Space

"Great Autodesk Program for Defense Industry"

What do you like best?

I originally started off in college as a Maya user. I spent two years rendering and figuring out the UI as well as game modeling, rigging and texturing. However when I went to my first job at SSE, it took a short amount of time to get comfortable with this program. It’s by far the easier program to work with and although the “modifiers” can be hard to comprehend at first, it’s the superior modeling program. The UI barely updates over many different versions making your personal pipeline easy to transition. The things that change the most are how powerful the rendering gets. I personally have not used the Arnold renderer but have heard nothing but positive things.

What do you dislike?

There’s the potential if you use this program purely for rendering in a large company with Mental Ray and Mental Ray materials it can be hard to upgrade while in the middle of projects. So your research before you buy the product for your company and make sure it’s as update date as you may need it to be. This includes keeping in mind R&D teams!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do your research on ALL versions to make sure it meets your needs for 3+ years!

I have mainly worked on projects that take CAD data and “draw” on top of them to make them low poly. It’s solved a ton of problems with high poly models that have needed to go into a game engine. I would take a look at the xReferencing part of the program for large renders involving many scenes. Feel free to break them up into many scenes and xref them into your scene for an easy render and the ability to turn visibility off of sections dismissing the “chugging” the program has when placing cameras in large scenes!

3ds Max Design review by Agency in Internet
Agency in Internet

"3DS Max Design is AMAZING"

What do you like best?

The fact that it's intuitive. The rendering times are amazing when you're using it with a verified graphics card. I myself use a 1060 6GB GTX. The greatest part of the program is how it renders with VRAY. STUNNING RESULTS. The way the camera angles are and how you can use your keyboard to move the camera angles, brilliant! You do have to press the two up and down arrow keys together in order to activate it.

What do you dislike?

I wish I could figure out how to make them have in-app tutorials and tips. I really wish VRAY materials were a bit more intuitive, hard to use a lot of the time if you don't know or haven't used them. It takes a bit to get through tutorials, but when you do the results are stunning!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Read Tutorials on Lighting and Setting up Stages!

Clients are extremely happy with the level of detail we can produce! We do all types of design including cars, scenes, products, and even logos!

3ds Max Design review by Marco L.
Marco L.

"Depending on your working area, it can be best ( or worst ) 3d software ever created !"

What do you like best?

3ds max has a huge number of tools. The interface is clear and if you come from Autocad it is extremely easy to use it. Software most common features are very stable and even with not a latest pc it will work without crashing. Software has nice built-in tools but if they are not enough you can expand them with a pletora of free or commercial add-ons. It has an internal scripting language so that with a bit of practice it is possible to write own tools. In general it is the perfect software to be used for architectural 3d / rendering works or industrial design concepts and presentations. What i also like is the simplicity to create / modify materials and applying them with biult-in texturing tools.

By using it with a 3d mouse it be becomes even more powerfull.

What do you dislike?

Some features, like physical simulations or some add-ons may create stability issues.

It has a tons of animation tools ... but sometimes they are not so user friendly.

It has many features that are just a legacy from previous releases that noboy still use .... and that by being deleted could make the software going faster.

Last thing that i don't like is that, if you have a 4k screen, the interface can't be correctly displayed ... you may need to use 2017 release (if you can afford it) or interface will work correctly by having resolution of the screen fixed to 1920x1080 maximum.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Even if there are many 3d softwares .. that may sound cheaper or more appealing, 3ds max design is a solid tool, with a good company support and a lot of resources on the web that may help you solving any possible issue.

Architectures, interiors, concept designs are made in a while !!

Autocad compatibility makes this software a must-have in any architectural pipline

3ds Max Design review by Kevin W.
Kevin W.

"Clean UI, snappy renders"

What do you like best?

Love the speedy, quality rendering and snappy interface. The camera switcher and time-line are great, and the system handles imported vector art like a pro. Lighting is a snap and looks great too.

What do you dislike?

The modeling tools are clunky and hidden, some types of modeling have to be added as modifiers and the shaping tools are harder to switch between and quickly iterate in the view pane unlike Maya. Particle physics are a pain without a good third party plug-in.

I'm able to model alongside our product manager to visualize upcoming products in a 3D environment. We can see the product from various angles and make modifications based on how it moves as well as what it looks like in different lighting. The final renders give our engineering team a solid foundation for production of the finished product.

3ds Max Design review by Erdem B.
Erdem B.

"3D Modeling and Animation Sofware with wide ranging tools, especially with plugins."

What do you like best?

- I can model, animate and render without leaving max environment.

- It has been around for many years, which makes it easy to find learning materials and assets.

- There are lots of plugins and scripts for Max. Things get really easy, fast and better.

- I can begin wtih a basic box then end up with a complex sculptural form after some manipulation.

- Pretty solid import and export support, especially for other Autodesk formats.

What do you dislike?

- Quite weak NURBS system.

- Working with curves needs improvement.

- Snapping, and parametric modeling is difficult for a software with "Design" in its name.

- What makes Design version different, does not make a big difference for designers.

- Rendering is quite slow without a plugin.

- Working with pivots gets complicated and frustrating sometimes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There is not a considerable difference between Max and Max Design, if you are not using it for architectural design and rendering.

If you are a product designer, consider Max for rendering and animation use only, but depend on NURBS and Solid CAD software for modeling.

I would recommend using V-Ray for rendering, since it is faster, it renders with good quality and compliments 3ds Max without much trouble.

Form Study: As a designer, I generally use NURBS and Solid modeling software, which might require quite some time to build a comprehensive model. I use box modeling technique in 3ds Max to develop quick study models and variations, in order to get a rough idea about the intended form.

Concept Modeling: Speed comes handy, while dealing with concepts. Once I create the rough model and proportions, I continue with adding details or modifying the model by utilizing subdivisions.

Rendering: I use it for rendering stills and animation for print and web use. Using an additional render engine like V-Ray, it gives a good idea on how my design is really going to look.

3ds Max Design review by shambhavi k.
shambhavi k.

"3ds MAX review"

What do you like best?

It was the very first 3d software I learnt and the thing I like is its very efficient and not much bugs as maya and I love the fact that it is very stable and makes your work easy.

What do you dislike?

The interface is that user friendly and not much easy for the amateurs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The interface will be overwhelming when use first start to use so do not get panic when you start, watch tutorials first and then it will be very easy to use.

I use it for 3d modelling, animating and texturing.

3ds Max Design review by Jennifer L.
Jennifer L.

"Intuitive"

What do you like best?

How easy it is to navigate thru the program and how helpful "Autodesk 3ds max Help" is.

What do you dislike?

When the file/model gets too large, it tends to crash a lot.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have used any other cad software, 3ds max is really easy to pick up. It is easy to navigate thru the software and the rendering output is great!

I am using it mainly to design for exhibit booths or interiors. The rendering quality along with animation capabilities are very helpful to sell the proposed design to potential clients.

3ds Max Design review by User in Civil Engineering
User in Civil Engineering

"Powerful software with highly effective results, despite the clunky user experience"

What do you like best?

The ability to produce fantastic renders once you have got over the learning curve. Finding your way around the software can be difficult, but once the basics are mastered then the results and outputs can be stunning. This is especially useful in my field (transport planning) using the built in Civil View plugin, which can quickly import a Civil 3D file and convert this to a render in a short space of time (minimum half day)

What do you dislike?

The user interface by far. It is best described as clunky, with oddly placed functions buried in menus or tabs. Once many objects have been imported, it is very sluggish to use and can easily grind to a halt if the user is unfamiliar with the software and tries to import complex geometry.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use Civil 3D in conjunction with 3DS Max for road design rendering.

Renders of large infrastructure projects are a powerful tool in conveying proposed changes to the wider public and stakeholders.

3ds Max Design review by Aris G.
Aris G.

"The best universal purpose 3D sofware"

What do you like best?

3DS MAX is great for designers, animators and architects. You can achieve any goal with so many ways possible. For professionals there are a lot of shortcuts. For beginners there are icons and short videos to get started with the new tools. It has its own ways of rendering, animating, modeling, texturing but it also has support for third party plug ins that really bring 3ds max to the next level, like VRay and Corona.

What do you dislike?

It sometimes Crushes it has a lot of little bugs that are being ignored by developers. The new versions are not really bringing huge changes but are mostly cosmetic with a little new features. The older versions do not recognize files saved on the newer versions no matter how simple the scenes are

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're more into animating complicated models, particles, clothing than 3ds max is not the best choice out there and Autodesk Maya will do the thing better but anyway 3DS MAX has all the tools for that goal too. If you're an architect looking for additional 'none-100%-accurate in case of metrics modeling and high-quality rendering of both interiors and exteriors than this is the best software for you. If you're getting started with any field of 3D then 3DS MAX is probably the best choice for you.

I'm Using 3DS MAX for more than 8 years already. I use it for architectural rendering, little animations for commercials, industrial modeling etc.

3ds Max Design review by Clément B.
Clément B.

"Complexe software, for polygonal lovers"

What do you like best?

Honestly, I am not such a big fan of polygonal 3D conception. So what I liked the best is the simplicity to build complexe forms through the basic tools. ( basically you just start from a box, add spans on it and start to play with.)

What do you dislike?

First, the interface is really, really oldschool, and definitely not intuitive. When you begin with a new software, you like when the interface is welcoming, when pop up' can help you . But on 3DS MAX, I always had pain to find tools, and almost understand the way that the software is making your 3D.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For all who would start 3D modeling, I advise you to move to an other software. For understand the basic of 3D, this not this software, 3DS MAX that I can advise you.

You can find much more cheaper on internet and definitely easier to use.

Get a second screen on your computer for the tools menus.

For fast sketch modeling, it 's helpfull for going one step further. You've just finished your hand sketch, take it on your desk and you can see what it's look likes in 3D. Even if the surfaces are not nice and the curvature not perfectly correct, you will can correct things that you didn't saw on your sketch.

The Benefits are easy rendering, of course retouched on photoshop after but great. ( renders not made on 3DS MAX)

3ds Max Design review by Gabriel H.
Gabriel H.

"Complete tool for design and visualization"

What do you like best?

I consider 3DSMAX, the perfect tool for a designer as long you can have almost everything you need in one pack. It's a very advanced software that offers the chance for the user to acces multiple tools .

- Poligonal Modelling

- Integrated Rendering tool

- Well optimized and compatible with a large variety of formats.

- Great results using Realistic Viewport with Shaders.

What do you dislike?

- Nurbs Modelling need a big change ( Optimisation for Alias/ Maya Nurbs surfaces / New curves etc)

- Missing Scultping Tools .

- Some versions crash quite often .

- Missing a propper measurement system

- Requires a lot of Ram to import Nurbs Surfaces (Iges / Step / etc )

Recommendations to others considering the product

3dsMax is the software that I am working with fot more than 8 Years and i recommended it to various people I have met, I can say I like everything about this software, but i think the essential features for a new user are:

- Friendly Interface

- Advanced tools for Animation / Modelling

- One of the best software for rendering using Mentalray / Vray / Corona etc

- Highly used in Game / Film Industry

Create high quality 3d models for various domains:

- High poly : Automotive / Product

- Low poly : Gaming Industry

- Animation

- Particle simulation

3ds Max Design review by Zaher M.
Zaher M.

"best 3d modeling , textureing ,aniumating , designing and rendering program , "

What do you like best?

well , i love it all , all about it is well orgenized , tool bars and menues , navigating , modifing and editing tools , hotkeys and fast access to commands which make ur design come to live quick ,

editing 3d modells is the best part , with a long range from tools and modifires which are very limited in another designing and drawing programs like Autocad ,,

textureing , lighting , animating and rendering ,, exporting play a big part too , i have export a lot of architectural models to use it in another programs , and importing DWG and DXF just as easy as open a new file ,

What do you dislike?

long time while rendering ,,, and this program need a kurs before using it , its not an easy program to use , designers should have the skills and the experiance to weork perfectly on it , scripting is something we need to learn it , i know we can doa lot of things useing it

Recommendations to others considering the product

well , a long range 3d editing and texturing and animating and rendering tools u can use almost all relworld things as vertual in here to build ur design , put a sun , and phisical camera and get ur shot ;)

modeling and build up 3d models , houses , even charachters ,,, camera , texture , rendering , exporting and importing between autocad , sketchup , lumion ,

preparing 3d model to engrave or cnc printer, well ,. alot of things

3ds Max Design review by Daniel A.
Daniel A.

"There are a lot of 3d softwares, then there is 3d studio max"

What do you like best?

Well there is a huge posibilitys, all ways to do your ideas in 3d, its a big software, render quality, its a commercial software, is the software i learn, and the software i teach, many people use it, or want to learn how to, i like the many things to do,

The animation options its very complete, i think its one of the best animation sets you can ever meet, however you should take a huge lessons so then you can put on practice all your animation knoledge,

the modeling tools are so nice, you can model everything in different ways, you can model from a simple toy, to a complex vehicle, its amazing, every 3d artist have ti try it, even whe you use another software, so this is it!!!

What do you dislike?

its pretty much complex, and i think i takes many time to learn how to use it well, you have to study a lot.

its very expensive, the interface require experience of use.

its hard to learn at the begining, you never end of earning it, it is a shame there are not many training centers in my city, there woulde be a great, by other side, it should be more easy to run and instal other plugins,

Recommendations to others considering the product

Study a lot, study geometry, be aware of the new improvements

im working on the advertising area, brand events, stands or boths, and product and space design.

3ds Max Design review by Srinivas J.
Srinivas J.

"3ds Max Design Wonderful Product"

What do you like best?

To be franks this is the main software I use on a daily basis, At the start it took me a while but its a never ending learning experience, there is always something new that you might even find out by chance.

It is user friendly and can handle a lot of jobs , Like the integration of vray rendering engine into this.

What do you dislike?

sometime it gives up on you, when the load of the job gets high it simply crashes, you may get a recovery file but not always with the latest changes you have made with the model.

and sometimes small bugs that i still am trying to understand why, eg one of the views just suddenly says disabled and i cant use it properly unless i restart the software.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want to learn modeling or rendering techniques you will always find great tutorials online for 3ds Max and I consider this software for hardsurface modeling, game art, interior design, photorealistic renders

Network rendering and using your own max scripts for your convenience, making it much more adaptable to techniques you can generate yourself for modeling or texturing, animating, rendering.

3ds Max Design review by Kyryl S.
Kyryl S.

"3ds Max Review "

What do you like best?

The program has a huge potential. We can make with it almost everything from still images to live videos.

It easy to find tutorials online, especially official, that are most useful.

It is always updating, and team is moving in correct dirrection, there still a lot of improvments needed, but they are on the good way.

What do you dislike?

I really dont like interface, because it is not sensible, i mean that i dont feel there comfortable, i need to think what and where to find.

Also built-in render engines are horrible, i need to spend extra money for other render engines, such as V-Ray or Corona Renderer.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just use it, its brilliant, but there is a couple of improvements needed

Try to make a lot of studies before working with any program, because, there is a huge problem, that people do bad product just because they dont know program, not the talent or creativity kills product, but bad preparation.

I am architect, so i am making in 3Ds Max interior and exterior visualizations of buildings.

3Ds Max is more productive than Maya or Unreal Engine or even Cinema 4D for architecture needings, that why our company is using Autodesk products.

Plus we are working in Revit, so that it is comfortable to link file directly from one software to another, and work with the latest version of the model.

3ds Max Design review by User in Entertainment
User in Entertainment

"3D Modeling for games"

What do you like best?

I am both user of Maya and 3ds Max. What I like the best about this program is the modifier stack!. Using the modifiers that come with this software make the process faster when modeling 3D objects. One example of using the modifier stack is creating the thread of a tire and using a pathdeform modifier to align it to the shape of the tire.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that program can often crash, Just like Maya, this program can seem overwhelming to beginners. Lots of tutorials and practice will help you get faster.

I use 3ds max at work to model objects for games. I usually start with the high poly model here, then send it to Zbrush.

3ds Max Design review by Suvir H.
Suvir H.

"Great architectural and industrial design rendering software. "

What do you like best?

Lighting options - a great variety and customizable.

Mental ray rendering of materials simulate close to real life

Move tool with axes are helpful in adjusting components in a controlled manner

Daylighting, sun and time location very helpful

Animations - an interesting feature

What do you dislike?

The time it takes to render. Often one has to test scenes multiple times to get the desired output, however the time involved in carrying the procedure on an i7 intel core processor is still slow.

Too many buttons. Unlike AutoCAD where one is enabled to type in commands to model, render, etc, 3ds Max required excessive clicking which can slow down the workflow.

Keyboard shortcuts - ctrl +v is copy!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Analyze Keyshot, Rhino Render as the workflow on these softwares reduce the need for post production softwares such as Adobe Photoshop and After Effects (for videos).

The modifier tab is one of the software's selling points. While parametric modeling may still not be carried out on a 3ds platform, the modifier command enables minor adjustments.

Lighting when cloned as instances and modified save a lot of time using the modifier tab by just selecting one of the clones.

While rendering on the cloud is a great feature in the new update, the interface of 3ds Max design has however been a disappointment, with additional commands that occupy more screen space, which are not helpful to me personally.

3ds Max Design review by Divyanshu M.
Divyanshu M.

"Perfect tool for Poly modelling Animation and Render"

What do you like best?

It's all in 1 package. under 1 platform you can do modelling, Rigging, Animation, Rendering. 3Ds Max is a very powerful in order to create Poly models, Animations or Renders.

What do you dislike?

Interface is to complicated. With new interface all in black from Autodesk made appearance of this tool even complicated. I believe there is lot of scope in terms of tool management, User friendly, Speed.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I believe this tool is really complicated and 1 can take years to get used to it. Start with Modelling then rigging animation and Rendering. Also will recommend to check Maya before you start learning 3Ds Max

I am using 3Ds max to model Basic environments and to render Still images for Automotive industry.

3ds Max Design review by Eric M.
Eric M.

"Still the leader in Arch-Vis Arena, but others are gaining"

What do you like best?

The strength of 3ds Max is it's modelling tools for architectural visualization, as well as other technical fields. It's integration with tools such as AutoCad, Inventor and other AutoCad products make it hard to beat as far as ability. Combine that with the industries strongest plug-in offering and unmatched 3rd party rendering support (Vray, Mental Ray, Octane) and its no-brainer if you are in the Arch-Vis Industry.

For instance, the Populate module (a crowd simulation tool) is easy to use and powerful. It comes with 40,000 elements and is a tremendous time saver if you need to animate your walk-through. There are a variety of model types depending on what you need, from rough ideas with stick figures to more high resolution options. You can also create stationary areas for people to mix in, while being casually animated. Like the animation path, you simply draw the areas where you want them to congregate. There are sliders for things like how dense the crowd is and the gender of the figures, so the crowd types can be managed according to the situation.

The most exciting feature Max has had in years is the Max Creation Graph (MCG) which allows users to create their own modifiers, utilities and geometric objects with a node based interface similar to the Slate material editor. MCG alone makes the time and cost investment in 3DS Max 2016 worthwhile

What do you dislike?

The interface has seen better days. The sheer amount of functionality, added throughout the years, has turned the interface into something that requires a much higher learning curve than needed. The command line renderer, allowing one to render without using resources dedicated to managing the UI, needs an overhaul. The UI is just too outdated with no support for hi-DPI displays and constant flickering, user experience design.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need to work in Arch-Vis, then 3ds is the tool for you. It's definitely due for a major overhaul, but it's the standard as far as working with the Product Design, Vis, Architectural, Building, CAD\CAM industry. There are some other tools that have a more modern workflow like Modo, but as long as Autodesk produces it, Max will reign.

Allowed us to be compatible with almost every architecture firm. We do not use the product in-house anymore as we have transitioned out of Arch-Vis. But when we did, it was a tremendous asset in allowing us to ingest any file.

3ds Max Design review by Carla José L.
Carla José L.

"Amazing renders"

What do you like best?

It works very good with objects imported from a lot of softwares and the rendering is very realistic. You don't need a lot of skill to make a very good render. It's very easy to create materials, and if you don't want to create them you always can download a material library, there's a lot of resources to download.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the lack of precision when you design something and when you move something. Every time you zoom in a joint corner you see they are not perfectly joined. You need a very good computer to run this software.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You should have a very powerful computer to run this software comfortably. The render time depends on the capacity of the computer. You can reach amazing 3d renders in short time and very easily.

This software make amazing 3ds realistic renders in short time and very easy. Helps me to show my clients how their product will look before they manufactured them.

3ds Max Design review by Conor L.
Conor L.

"A Powerful 3D Creation Tool"

What do you like best?

3DS max is a far more user friendly tool when compared to its counterparts (c4d and maya). The UI is clean and concise, and everything you need is right in front of you. On top of that, I find that the base tools are incredibly powerful, and can be used to create some complex objects with some practice. With physic tools such as Reactor and rendering tools such as Raytrace and Mental Ray - 3DS Max can be a complete tool.

What do you dislike?

There is a steep learning curve to the software. There are also some limitations to polygonal creation that the competitors (namely Maya) do better. Other than that you can't go wrong!

Recommendations to others considering the product

It really depends on what you're more comfortable with - I was trained on Max first - so I'm more comfortable with it than Maya.

I use 3DS Max for two purposes, one is to create elements for my films (monsters, background elements, destructive pieces, etc). The other is create models for 3D printing - which are then incorporated into props or miniature designs for pre-productions.

3ds Max Design review by User in Education Management
User in Education Management

"Very well known with the software"

What do you like best?

Modeling and texturing are my major daily work with 3Ds max.

What do you dislike?

I'm not into VFX and animation, animation are very powerful in 3Ds Max but I don't like it so much and the way it works

Recommendations to others considering the product

3Ds Max consider as a standard 3D package in the market, lots of studios using it as their primary software.

If you are using 3Ds Max then you will find lots of studios using 3Ds Max in their pipeline and workflow, it will be easy for you to find a job by using this amazing software

Usually product visualization and game's models... there are so many rendering engines that I use with Max

3ds Max Design review by Hamza H.
Hamza H.

"inspires creativity"

What do you like best?

the interface is very user friendly

the adaptation of plugins is quite useful since most of the 3rd party software work with it such as {Vray-forest.. etc }

the modeling methodology is very easy and straight forward

in general using the software feels very fluid and accurate for architectural visualization.

What do you dislike?

creating characters with 3ds max is not as easy as for example " Zbrush " it limits the creativity on that side of design.

and the orbiting speed goes down fast with big files.

the lack of parametric modeling features

integrating REVIT models into 3ds max is quite troublesome , its really hard to link the files and keep the link for a long time, you tend to simply export and import the file over and over instead of simply updating the link.

autosave feature is nice but canceling the autosave doesnt always work, sometimes with large files the model gets heavy and when it autosaves it freezes for 10 15 minutes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

figure out the purpose of the software before committing to it, it takes a while to learn and even longer to perfect the craft, it will be hard to shift to something like zbrush or maya if you find out later that you picked the wrong software for your field.

architectural visualization

3D printing

simply put, the presentation is never complete without 3ds max

i v sold many projects thanks to a simple 3D render

3ds Max Design review by Troy K.
Troy K.

"Video Games Industry "

What do you like best?

Its a quick and easy software once learned. Everything is within the right mouse click button in terms of mesh selection. It has such useful tools such as Bridge, Cap hole and Shift + Click and drag being the Extrude tool. The layer editor is pretty cool too!, I like the light bulb and freeze icon's, easily understood and well layed out. Overall the software helps get my 3D work done very quick. I transferred from Maya to 3DS Max, learnt it within 4 weeks, from then on Max is my best friend.

What do you dislike?

I haven't really found the lights useful, maybe I should learn how to use them better. Although they still did a great job!.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Go ahead, get stuck in and learn, study hard, you'll get there. Once you have 3DS Max in your knowledge, its all upwards from there, cheers.

Throughout my years applying for Video Games/3D Artist jobs I have felt the bitterness of being rejected and having to limit myself to Maya. Since learning and using 3DS Max, I have widened my 3D experience and can apply for pretty much any job. Lets face it 3DS Max is the 3D industries most common 3D package.

3ds Max Design review by Giana C.
Giana C.

"3DSMax makes the best quality digital renderings for interiors."

What do you like best?

The level of detail and materiality in the final renderings is impeccable almost 100% of the time. Using the material editor and its many tools (especially bump maps), make for amazing final renderings when rendered in Vray and/or Mental Ray.

What do you dislike?

I dislike modeling in place because the controls are quite different from other programs which can get tricky to use. I also dislike that in certain renderings, Omni-lights create unsightly glares on certain materials, even if the material's reflectivity is turned down. Rendering time is also quite long, I've had projects take up to 3 1/2 hours while rendering in Mental Ray which makes it hard to show clients fast renderings.. in which case Revit may be a better program to use.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend becoming familiar with basic rendering programs and their controls before using 3DS Max. I would also highly recommend using VRAY over Mental Ray when rendering because renderings are completed at a much faster pace. If you have more time, use Mental Ray.

. I have benefited from knowing how sunlight hits spaces, what materials work/don't work, and how well the space speaks of final designs.

3ds Max Design review by John A.
John A.

"3D Studio Max 2016"

What do you like best?

There is a lot to like about 3D Studio Max. It's modeling tools are some of the best in the business. 3DS Max uses a modifier stack process that functions as layers similar to what you might find in Photoshop. There are a number of methods available for modelers which makes it very versatile. 3DS Max also has a great material editor and some fairly powerful rendering tools.

What do you dislike?

My biggest complaint about 3DS Max is their lack of VFX support. Since Autodesk removed Reactor from the software, there really aren't many great options for visual effects. Particle Flow is great for some basic to mid-range particle rendering, however fluid simulation is completely absent and some basic simulations like rope are difficult and clumsy to achieve. 3DS Max is really behind the eight ball in this regard.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're looking for a great modeling and rendering package, 3DS Max has everything you need. There are better options though for Visual Effects and for Animation tools in general. One other thing to consider. 3DS Max has an annoying glitch in their scaling tools. Non-uniform scaling in the top level or object mode can result in some pretty nasty parenting issues, especially when rigging. Always scale in sub-object mode or make sure to reset your xform after scaling. This is critical if you want to prevent hours of lost production time.

Our company creates medical and forensic animation and for the most part, 3DS Max solves most of our problems and work s very well. As mentioned before, VFX options are limited and we tend to utilize other software packages like Cinema4D for those solutions.

3ds Max Design review by Grace Stephanie M.
Grace Stephanie M.

"I've been working with 3D max for years now"

What do you like best?

I found 3D Max really friendly for modeling and texturing. I've been using it for several years now since i graduated from college, 3D max is the number one 3d software in my country, big and small studios use it for Mobiles games, tv commercials, architectural visualization and short films. It's really easy to learn and is compatible with other commonly used software. I love the easy autosave feature and all the vray renders possibilities. I love the backburner render it's perfect. populates is super easy to use and so fast.

What do you dislike?

Changing files from one version (year) to another needs some extra steps that are really annoying. Some times if you forget, you can't use your files at all, Sometimes the software crashes or the file gets damaged usually with high levels of smooth or with too many modifiers. Sometimes exporting and importing goes wrong, you have to be very careful.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Practice, a lot, is the only way to master something. Also experiment, you can achieve one model in like 3 differents ways. Always create more than 5 autobacks, sometimes you change your mid or the power goes off. Remember saving a lot of versions of your file, specially if you work with difficult clients. Changing from 3D max to 3D Maax design is not difficult, there some extra things in one than the other doesn't have.

Every day clients related changes and last minute problems.

3ds Max Design review by Riccardo D.
Riccardo D.

"Best Architectural - Visualisation software for modeling and animation"

What do you like best?

After some years of experience i say that: Max is the standard for 3D Arch-Viz projects.

Architectural Visualisation is vital for an architect that approach a new building creation.

With max i find a solid and efficient workflow to produce architectural images and video starting from the scratch.

The main thing about 3d max Design is the huge amount of plug-ins and related software connected.

For example even for our courses here in SOA Academy we use 3d max related with plug-ins and scripts like: Forest Pro, Railclone, Grow FX, V-ray, Rendermask, Id tool, Multiscatter, MightyTiles, Bercon Maps, Relink Bitmaps.

Another great thing is keyboard shortcut that look really similar with other software like Autodesk Autocad.

What do you dislike?

Maybe the only thing that i dislike is the User interface that looks like a 90's software.

Recommendations to others considering the product

My best recommendation is save constantly progressive. Is the only way to produce a 3d model without any error. Another tips that i personally recommend is try to use scene saved without any crash, for example avoid the use of autoback files.

Basically i use max from 6 years and i use a workflow that allows me to produce images and animation in a simple way. When i use max i feel like i'm in a Tank. It's stable and solid maybe for now the only choice in the Arch-viz world.

Even if look inside my personal works you will see that i use Max for every new project.

Inside that one for example I personally designed the entire 3d tower with 3dmax and railclone pro.

3ds Max Design review by Paula C.
Paula C.

"Great tool to produce realistic renderings"

What do you like best?

I usually use 3ds Max combined to other render plug-ins to produce realistic scenes for my Architecture projects. The interface is not difficult to understand and I can create materials, textures really fast. Another great feature of this software is the possibility to work with Revit, change the model on Revit and see it updated on 3ds Max. It save a lot of time.

What do you dislike?

About the interface: I wish it could have smaller icons to save more space in my window. If you have 2 big screen to work with 3ds Max, that is dream. Another important point is that you need a good computer configuration to use it. I spent some money buying new computer parts to improve my machine and the result is great.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want a software to model or just render scenes of your project, 3ds Max is a great choice. You can create realistic scenes, materials, textures using it or combine it to other plugins to get even better results.

Using 3ds Max I could produce realistic scenes for projects for the first time. It helped me improve the quality of my presentations in college and also in an architectural firm as summer intern. Using this software you also can set up many machines to render the images any time you like. I did my animation project using 3ds Max. The best benefit to me is the quality of the results.

3ds Max Design review by Rafael B.
Rafael B.

"3ds Max: The Bread & Butter of 3d Software"

What do you like best?

I like 3ds Max for its all-around versatility. Being an industry standard when it comes to 3d work, you can use it for almost any kind of 3d work imaginable. In addition to that, the program supports hundreds of plug-ins which add to its already loaded features.

What do you dislike?

Aside from its wide variety of useful features and capabilities, 3ds Max also has obsolete features included within it to aid in backwards compatibility with older versions. These obsolete features, I would consider, merely clutter up the workspace and would probably be better if they were updated in new versions or removed altogether.

Recommendations to others considering the product

3ds Max is one of the oldest 3d software in the world; its history goes back in the 1980s. This means that its interface is modeled based on a tried and tested design, which might not fit in with the preferences of people who are accustomed to newer 3d software with more streamlined interfaces.

I would recommend to prospecting users of this program to learn the interface first and foremost.

The main business problem I'm currently trying to solve is figuring out what area in the 3d industry to focus on. 3ds Max has a wide variety of capabilities which means its users, like me, have a wide variety of options in the 3d industry to choose from.

3ds Max Design review by Antoine G.
Antoine G.

"Good software for soft and natural shapes"

What do you like best?

The software is one of the most complete. A lot of functionnalities and very powerfull ! You are very free and can do a lot with it, from modeling to rendering.

I like animations with it, when you get to know it you can do really good animations quite easily and fast !

What do you dislike?

The interface is very old, it didn't evolved a lot from the beggining and it is really not intuitive. You have to pass several long hours on it in order to be a bit fluent with the interface. It is really a big problem with it. Everything is not natural and learning is very hard.

Sometime the software is so advanced that you dont know what some options are made for.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are not affraid to waste time and want good renders, create animations or make free shapes, try it!

I really improved the quality of my renderings with 3Dsmax and Vray.

Natural and organic shapes are really Easy to do with it and help me on several projects.

3ds Max Design review by Amit P.
Amit P.

"3DS Max"

What do you like best?

A great tool for data visualization for non-programmers is my favorite part. The Max Creation Graph can be used to animate simulation data in CFD, .CSV, or OpenVDB formats. I love that more and more formats for export capabilities are supported now. Makes the tool much more versatile.

The ability to apply rendering styles, and CFD velocity fields, and animate airflow splines to make accurate data is pretty handy as well. In my personal opinion, 3DS Max is by far the best tool for scientific and engineering applications.

What do you dislike?

It is often marketed as a creative tool for the gaming, characters and film markets, in which case I prefer Maya over 3DS Max. I find it lacking a ton of features when it comes to creative applications. Maya is the industry leader on that front.

As mentioned earlier for data visualization, scientific and engineering applications 3DS Max is an excellent tool.

One of the other key elements (recently added to the latest version of 3DS Max 2016) is the Max Creation Graph capability. I simply love this new node-based tool and content creation environment.

3ds Max Design review by Javier W.
Javier W.

"3ds max 2014"

What do you like best?

Is very powerful, It has hidden tools that are usually very effective.

In general, all programs, plugins and 3D models are based in 3ds max.

Also, it is lately adding plugins that are quite effective.

It's good the possibility of changing the toolbars.

Splines management, and also vertices is very interesting.

What do you dislike?

It is not friendly, is not has an interface easy to understand (like another 3D programs).

I struggled to learn some things, and configuration of the program is somewhat complex.

You should have a better graphical configuration with older video boards.

Asset tracking should be reviewed, is pretty hard to understand right.

A major problem still unresolved, are the constant "crashes" of the program, the bugs.

Usually it closes without notice and without save it anything.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take your time and patience to learn it.

I solve 3D visualization for architects and designers.

3ds Max Design review by User in Machinery
User in Machinery

"machine animation"

What do you like best?

Autodesk 3ds Max is really user friendly and works great with model from Autodesk Inventor. I would recommend this to anyone whole needs to do machine animation for customer presentations.

What do you dislike?

cant really come up with many dislikes for autodesk 3Ds Max. the biggest thing it that it can do too much for just what I use it for I can sometime get lost in features I don't need.

I am mainly using this to animate machines and plant flows for customers to give them a better Idea of the floor layout and work flow. I am planning on using it in the future for 3D printing

3ds Max Design review by Irene T.
Irene T.

"hard to learn but wonderful "

What do you like best?

I like the giant number of actions and tools you can use to create and modify models. Everyday there's something new to learn!

What do you dislike?

A few tools were removed in the latest versions such as "select by material" tool and the interface is less simple... Moreover I come from vectorial programs such as Autocad and I find it hard to draw approximately with a not-so-consistent system of coordinates. I think developers could work in order to make it more stable... it easy get stuck while drawing... adn i tried it with different laptops and computers...

I design 3D models, animate and render scenes.

3ds Max Design review by Ahmed E.
Ahmed E.

"very good Reliably product"

What do you like best?

program stability, no crashes, loosing work is not possible anymore

also the populate feature added in 2014 is really helpful in heavy animation scenes.

ability to use vray and corona is also very helpful.

the distributed rendering in vray plugin is an amazing feature for designers who would like to render scenes faster.

What do you dislike?

exporting files in fbx or 3ds. it usually exported with problems or damaged. the exported file always missing materials, so i have to use max standard extension to avoid such issues.

in the populate features you can't add sitting people in 2014 version.

Recommendations to others considering the product

just use it. it's stability and its performance makes you feel like a powerful designer

i'm an interior designer so i'm using 3ds max design to present design ideas for clients. that's how to make deals with clients.

3ds Max Design review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Excellent 3D software"

What do you like best?

3ds Max is the first 3D software I learnt for modelling, animation and rendering. I have to say it has very powerful modelling tools allowing me to create complex 3D models. It also has simple and intuitive interface making it very user friendly to use for beginners and learners.

What do you dislike?

3ds Max is only available on Windows and not available for Mac OS or Linux users. This is a big downside for those users especially when Mac OS users are so popular already.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is very suitable for someone who just started learning 3D modelling because of it's user friendly interface. It is also suitable for project that involves complex modelling and architectural visualisation.

I have been using it on school projects and small contract projects. It's easy to use and very user friendly.

3ds Max Design review by Alexandr G.
Alexandr G.

"3d art in 3d max"

What do you like best?

Traditional interface, stable working process, adjustable and flexible workspace, compatible with many other software file formats, super powerful features and functions, you can use this software in huge variety of different spheres, like an architecture, gaming industry, interior design, film making, furniture production, web developing and design and many others.

What do you dislike?

The price is very high, sometimes it is too complicated to reach customer support and get real help to solve the problem, license validation service and licensing it self is awful.

Recommendations to others considering the product

check if it's the right software for your purposes

Interior vizualisation, modeling, prototyping, standalone renderings

3ds Max Design review by Aaron J.
Aaron J.

"3DS Max"

What do you like best?

I have been using 3D Studio Max for a long time and Autodesk has continued to develop and grow the program. This program is very powerful and can great wonderful animations.

What do you dislike?

Like many of the 3D animation software that is available, it takes a pretty high learning curve to understand all the parts and pieces. If you combine that with the updates that take place every year, you can quickly find yourself lost in the program.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take you time and (if possible) get professional training. It will really pay off in the long run.

We find that it works very well with our graphic arts and rendering purposes. We can make images look much better if combined with the power in 3D Studio Max.

3ds Max Design review by Sam S.
Sam S.

"I have used 3DS Max for the past 20 years."

What do you like best?

I like the modeling tools the best as I use it the most often. Every iteration they come out with better tools to make my tasks easier. The customizable shortcuts are very good as well. The fact that I can move my interface around to suit my needs is also a plus. The animation tools seems to have improved as well, though I have not used a lot of them in my work it looks better every year.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the renderer that it comes with. They should just integrate Vray right into the software and dump mental ray altogether. I use Vray for all my work and nothing else.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The learning curve is not hard. There are lots of tutorials for the software, I know because I am self taught. Look at magazines for tutorials and updates. New software, methods and techniques come out each year.

I don't solve any business problems that I know of. I use the software for my contract and personal work.

3ds Max Design review by User in Computer Games
User in Computer Games

"Once the industry Leader"

What do you like best?

3DS Max is a great 3d modeling tool. It is used in multiple industries, and was once the go to application for game design. It has an easy learning curve. Large community support for tutorials, plug-ins, etc. Ability to convert mesh to poly and back. burn normal, light, and occlusion maps. Create and use procedural maps.

What do you dislike?

Studios are quickly moving to Autodesk other toolset "Maya". making it harder and harder for those that only know 3DS Max, to find work without having to learn a new program. Boolean/Pro Boolean still can cause mesh errors. Needs Maya, and Mudbox builtin all as one application instead of having to switch between tools or another standard toolset.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Check local industry job/career ads or company careers page to see what tools are used, Autodesk 3DS Max or Maya. best to learn both to cover all options. Suggest learning Maya first, has a larger learning curve than 3DS Max.

Creating 3d modeling for game design. Fast, easy to learn tools for low poly and high poly modeling and animation.

3ds Max Design review by Leandro L.
Leandro L.

"AWESOME!!"

What do you like best?

Everything. Its the most that I used at work. Honestly, for me is the best software for 3d modeling and rendering. It has a lot of stuff, I'm working with 3ds max since 9 version, and still learning everyday.

What do you dislike?

Like other designers, I hate when the program close without the possibility of a backup. Specially when you are working with a close deadline. Also when you have all the user paths lose and want to add a new one, it still saying that "X" quantity of paths are invalid, and don't let you press OK, so don't let you add the new path either

Recommendations to others considering the product

Best of the best to render interior scenes, and modeling furniture

Modeling and visualizing interior designs scenes for commercial and residential buildings.

3ds Max Design review by Carlos D.
Carlos D.

"The amazing Max"

What do you like best?

This is the first 3d software that i learned, was complicated but is just amazing, is like the photoshop of the 3D, you have plugins for everything!.

I'm more focused on 3d modeling like characters, environments and props for videogames or film, and the experience with this software is great, is fun to use and there's a lot of resources, tools and plugins.

Max have one of the best render engines, the amazing Vray, the UVTool set is amazing, i really like to do uv's in this software, the modeling tools are great have a pretty fast workflow so you'll not have any problem with this, and the shader creation nodes are just amazing and fast to use.

What do you dislike?

The price, is really expensive. More flexible UI

Recommendations to others considering the product

3dsmax is essential in your toolkit if you're creating a shortfilm, videogame or archviz, this software will help you a lot. And if you're a beginner you can try it for free at their website, and if you have an student email you can get a 3 year (non-commercial) license for free to learn and create your portfolio.

Well I was using this software since 8 years ago, creating characters, and a lot of stuff, the benefits are amazing, You can create any 3d - 2d'ish related content here without touch any other software.

3ds Max Design review by Daniel A.
Daniel A.

"Excellent 3D structural design software"

What do you like best?

It is very good software 3D design for all that is creating structural parts, freedom of work and interface are quite dynamic and simple, which gradually can be discovering tools that help in creating parts more precision and speed, is very complete in general

If you want to create good models, animations, images, special effects and all kinds of things with 3D Max you can do all this in a very good way.

What do you dislike?

The program is usually too heavy, and supports very few nodes, most of the time is closed or stuck to process information, as to the design that can be performed within this program should always be kept simple, and make adjustments visual only to improve design quality.

That takes time to generate high quality designs where other programs can be more automated, or advance a simple workflow where the laborious part of the design is done faster.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For the creation of parts for animations or video games is excellent tool, and structural surveys for renderings.

The workflow can be very simple and dynamic once the project is to realize it is clear, and has made a prior investigation of the tools the program provides for what is planned.

80% for the reproduction of parts with prototyping printers, all about 3D surveys purely structural parts, for conducting organic pieces becomes somewhat tedious.

For playback of three-dimensional prototypes it is excellent, if properly constructed model reproduction of the piece is usually perfect.

3ds Max Design review by Derek D.
Derek D.

"Its my daily bread and butter software"

What do you like best?

The amount of freedom and options it has to offer in terms of workflow and quality, and the vast compatibility with various world class plugins.

What do you dislike?

Somethings have become very cumbersome with the new updates and at times the, responsiveness is very bad compared to the other softwares.

very sluggish in handling CAD.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a very good piece of software out of the box, though i would recommend getting an external renderer.

I use Vray a my primary renderer, though Iray is very good, ive just been comfortable using Vray over the last half decade.

Scalability is fantastic!!

Also the community of users is huge so its easier to work around with artists globally in our company and otherwise also.

3ds Max Design review by Karim Elnabawy, L.
Karim Elnabawy, L.

"3ds Max Architectural presentation"

What do you like best?

Variety of tools that the software includes, also the ability to integrate render engines like vray and Brazil, while the most important feature is the support and advancement of each version.

3ds max exterior lighting is really easy and impressive, i usually add vray render engine to have more and better quality renders, easy modeling after the rippon added features, also editable poly is improving much that makes it easier to model any shape and form that the designer will imagine.

What do you dislike?

difficult lighting settings, as sometimes, it's really hard to finalize the scene properly without having the proper physics knowledge, as most people don't have the knowledge of cameras and how surfaces react to lighting and shadows, also the acoustics is really hard to set-up as it requires more studying.

The rigging is not easy to learn, it can be really wonderful to start creating characters and add rigged forms, but it can take a while to understand the concepts of rigging.

i really hate how reactor works with other 3ds max tools and interfaces, i find it not actually compatible with other features,

Recommendations to others considering the product

i highly recommend using 3ds max in architectural presentations, it gives high realistic models that visualize the client ideas.

architectural presentation and visualizations, as it's mainly my scope of work, to produce architectural designs and present it with max, and to show the client how the building will look like in the future.

"amazing"

What do you like best?

The best 3ds max feature is that with it you can do whatever you want. Its versatility is its strength. It is a very powerful tool for anyone working in the field of architecture and design as me. The results obtained with the 3d modeling and rendering using this program you do not get with any other program in my opinion.

The user experience for 3ds max is absolutely high quality and can reach very high professional objectives.

You can model the smallest part of something as well as an entire neighbourood.

I strengly recomend this pc program for all those professionals that want to reach the highrst quality in their works.

What do you dislike?

if I have to find a weakness in 3ds max, I can say that it takes a long time to learn to use the many tools that provides. my idea is that it is not a program that you learn on your own. at least a few hours of training is required held by some professionals to learn at least the basics. 3ds max is not a difficult program to use, but since it has many features and possibilities requires a period of training before you can use professionally.

Recommendations to others considering the product

take your time to learn this program, and it worth it

thanks to 3ds max I could start my own business as a professional 3d modeler. Customers are very satisfied with the quality of the work that I propose. It also allowed me to become part of a community of professionals who use this program, in which we exchange ideas, we help solve problems and we also exchange models.

3ds Max Design review by User in Design
User in Design

"Not so easy to use but very effective software"

What do you like best?

How easy it is to take materials from different sources and change them depending on the needs of the project and not being limited to the program's material library. To create new materials from zero using just the program settings is quite easy too. The compatibility with other programs like AutoCAD is quite good (AutoCAD - 3D Max, I didn't try the other way around)

What do you dislike?

Because it's a program used in so many fields, there are so many menus that it's easy to get lost (menus that I am not going to use and I don't even know how). To master the program it's quite difficult without help or instructions, would be helpful to be able to limit the menus or adapt them a little bit more to my needs.

The possibility of showing to the client the proposed final result in 3D, since not everyone understands plans and 2D drawings and mood boards, being able to change things before actually building it.

Although is more difficult to use than other programs, it is more exact and the results are quite realistic.

3ds Max Design review by Sérgio M.
Sérgio M.

"My best friend in work :)"

What do you like best?

I use 3DS Max from my 16 years old! my first experience with was the 3ds DOS version! So I have a huge experience using this great software that in my opinion is the best we can use for 3d rendering!

What I must like of it is the versatility and scripting capacity and available plug ins that it allow us to have a huge set of tools to use in our daily pipeline.

What do you dislike?

All the 3d softwares have a set of things that we don´t like and 3ds max is not diferent! My big dislike is regular crashes they can do and in most of the cases the software goes down with a simple task! this is very annoying sometimes but every 3ds max user that use this software at few years knows that we must do CTRL+S often:) other thing that I dont like the old interface that the software have I think is time to Autodesk can get us a more clear and friendly interface design.

We use it here in Studio to produce 3d visualizations for clients around the world is our main software that allows us to create amazing 3d renders as services it help me and the team a lot.

3ds Max Design review by Xavi S.
Xavi S.

"3ds Max has been my software of choice for more than five years doing animation and design. "

What do you like best?

For me, the best features of 3ds Max are: polygonal modeling, the amount of stackable modifiers and the compatibility with render engines like V-Ray or Corona, which gives you the realism that the industry requires nowadays. It is also a very robust package with all the options that you may need (useful for doing video-game assets, animations, product designs or architectural renders) and in many countries this is the software used by big companies. Finally, the last version of the software comes with the Max Creation Graph that allows you to create plugins and scripts using a visual node-based workflow (so, no programming knowledge is needed).

What do you dislike?

Although 3ds Max is a very complete software, it is very common to use other software for some tasks like: UV unwrapping (especially for complex models), texture painting, organic modeling, retopology and post-production. Also, the software comes with Mental Ray, which has evolved a lot during the last years, but you will probably have to use more powerful render engines like V-Ray or Corona. With that in mind, you are going to use 3ds Max in addition to third parties software, which means more licenses to buy, and that could be a problem if you are starting your own business.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is very difficult to learn how to use the software with Autodesk manuals or online tutorials, so it is highly recommended to do a course (at least to know the basic features).

And if you are going to do industrial designs for product manufacturing there are other options in the market that are more focused on this task.

I am mostly doing product and advertising designs. The benefits of using 3ds Max are that it covers all my needs for those kind of projects and it allows me to do them fast with excellent results.

3ds Max Design review by Martini R.
Martini R.

"Endless power"

What do you like best?

I've had tried a lot of 3d Packages but 3ds max's graphite modelling tools are incredible powerful, also the particle view and the slate material composer are just amazing. Also there are so many plugins and almost every render engines are compatible.

Once you get used to the interface and tools, the workflow is quite fast. There is a bunch of options and modifiers.

What do you dislike?

Is just for Windows, some tools are outdated, also the "built-in" help is sometimes poor.

The interface is a little confusing some of the times.

The scanline render is just awfau. but is it ok for testing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Is a very powerful tool, if you are looknig for modeling this is your softwere.

I found the metrics very precise, you can build 3d models and print them out with incredible ease. On the other hand the built in iRay GPU render you can achieve photorealistic results in minutes without any external plugin.

3ds Max Design review by User in Computer Games
User in Computer Games

"Game Development and ArchViz in 3DS Max"

What do you like best?

Oh man it have a lot of features I really like from ribbon tools to modifier list. We are using an old Max at company I currently work with. It's 2009 edition, but personally my favourite one is 2016. I really like Nitro in 3ds max it boost up workflow. It may hold a lot of triangles like no other software. Overall feeling when you are using this product is pretty ok, but in many cases It could be improved.

What do you dislike?

I dont like policy to not support saving to older version of .max. What I mean by that is if u have max 2016 u supposse to be allow to save files for max 2009. Some tools has nonsense like downgrading quallity of textures at viewport by default. And Compability with old version of plugins, allmost every plugin and script need to be rewrite with each iteration of new max. And It's not that open like Maya to scripting and moding. That's why mu current employer want to switch to maya. UI looks pretty too archaic. Still need to xform everything It's annoying especially when it corrupting your files.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It will gave you a lot of freedom and planty of tools to work with.

I'm environment artist and I'm working with games environment assets. But I'm archviz hobbist, so I'm playing with vray and max to get as much realism as I can. For fun and portfolio purposes I still using student version.

3ds Max Design review by Oisin A.
Oisin A.

"A powerful and complete tool for Arch Viz, Film, and Game modelling"

What do you like best?

3DS Max is an incredibly advanced tool, and no doubt an industry leader when it comes to 3D modelling and rendering.

The interface and tools are quite intuitive, and while there is a bit of a learning curve, there are so many resources available online that you can quickly find help achieving even some of the most complicated tasks you might encounter.

It's strong points are how complete the product is, providing tools for modelling, animation, particle and physics simulation, and physically accurate rendering for materials and lighting, something very important in my field.

The extensibility of 3DS max through plugins and scripts also means you have endless possibilities with what you can achieve with the software.

What do you dislike?

All good things come at a price, and the price for 3DS Max is very high, especially when there are completely free packages like Blender which have a surprisingly complete feature set even when compared directly to 3DS Max

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are a student you can get a student license for free that allows you to use the product for more than a year. It is a great way to start off with 3DS Max and get familiar with tools and user interface.

For those looking to switch to 3DS Max, it is very powerful but be prepared to spend a lot of time re-learning some of the concepts you may be familiar with in your current CAD software

I have used 3DS Max for physically accurate lighting simulations using photometric data for light sources and modelling the physical attributes of materials such that they behave as close to the real world as possible.

Coupled with the physically accurate camera and renderer, we have been able to create these simulations to help clients visualise interior spaces and choose the appropriate type of lights and layout for the desired lighting effect.

3ds Max Design review by Sven J N.
Sven J N.

"Overall, a great experience. Max has it made it possible to realise projects stuck in my head"

What do you like best?

The utter complexity and power that 3Ds Max provides.

The ability to realise ideas and forms often in multiple ways.

I also prefer the fact that it provides the option to work with units which as far as i'm aware is not possible with Maya.

What do you dislike?

The User Interface is a bit of a disaster but I perfectly understand why in a way.

25 years of features are packed into that UI, most of which have been added on over the years as patches and new features with each release. Sometimes it can feel a bit clunky and nightmare to navigate. It's good in a way though as it discourages amateurs and those looking for a quick fix solution.

I find the animation system in genera very confusing and clunky.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be prepared to have patience with the daunting interface and realise that there is 25s years of stuff packed in Max and it will take years to master everything, something I'm still aiming at :)

I use 3Ds Max for a broad range of uses which have helped me assist clients from a broad range of industries and goals:

architectural vizualisation and rendering,

product and furniture design

game environments

film sets

3D printing

3ds Max Design review by Federico C.
Federico C.

"In love with 3ds Max"

What do you like best?

I love this program, I use it everyday and for me is ike a second hand. What I like the most? I think when we use 3d program what every artist seek is freedom in all the way possible, and 3ds max is very flexible, the best of many other 3d program I ever tried.

What do you dislike?

What I dislike? as I said before, 3ds max give lot of freedome, and to do this it has many and many tools, this encrease the confusion when you use it, I think the developers should try to simplify the program by removing, or hiding, the less used tools.

Another aspect that could be encrease is the parametric tools, by now the world of architeture is going everyday towards more organic shapes, and simply additions could give us an easier life, for example encreasing the the possibility of use of the soft selection tool in edit poly, just to say it ones.

And if I can ask more, an encreasing of the graphite modelling tools would be much appreciated, especially about paint sculpting, with adding simply tools most of us could avoid using program like zbrush or similar.

I use it for architectural/design purpose, it is very efficient, also to model furniture is very handly.

3ds Max Design review by Hussain A.
Hussain A.

"I have been using this program for over 10 years"

What do you like best?

The interface is great and easy to use, 3D max has countless amount of tools, and many that can be imported, it is truly a world of its own.

What do you dislike?

Can't handle heavy scenes sometimes with high poly's, It gets better when you manage your scene properly, but can get a bit frustrating too by just crashing. But I guess computer limitations also play a role.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are getting started then I recommend taking a look at other programs and see exactly what you need, eventually you can do the same thing in every program, but the experience and UI/UX also play a role. C4D has been gaining a lot of traction lately with motion graphics, and 3D max is trying to catch up in that area. Other than that I think it's an amazing program, with a lot of tools and a lot of power.

I am a product designer and have found the tools very useful, I have a lot of control and flexibility on what I want to achieve which is great.

3ds Max Design review by Filip M.
Filip M.

"Quite good"

What do you like best?

The best what I like in 3ds max is the large quantity of great rendering engines, tutorials, plugins, scipts etc. Also 3ds max is a great performance tool where you can produce high quality renderings. Another great thing in 3ds max is that it has good compatibility with other software.

What do you dislike?

I don't like that it's not stable and crashes sometimes destroying the files. Simple box modeling is a bit too complicated in that program. For example in sketchup you can make some simple things much faster.

Another thing that I don't like is the price. I think that for that kind of money it should be flawless so in my opinion it's a bit overpriced.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Despite price 3ds max is a great tool. It is great performance and quite easy to learn, because of the large number of tutorials on the Internet.

I'm mainly creating architectural visualisations. Also sometimes I do some packshots rendering.

3ds Max Design review by User in Research
User in Research

"Modelise Products"

What do you like best?

I like the infinit possibility that offers this software. You can do different step of the 3D process, from The modelisation, to the animation and the rendering. As a lot of professional use it since decades, you can find a lot of very interesting plug in, and lots of videos to explain you how to do different things.

What do you dislike?

It is very difficult to get use to the interface. It seems that no updates of the interface has been done since years. In addition to that, it regularly crashes so you better save your files regularly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a very good and complete software. However you generally only need 5% of it's capacity so you should think before using it what you really need to achieve. Despite it is a very complex software, the comunity using this sofware is huge and you can easily find tutorials and forum where you can ask your questions.

I am modelising, texturing, animating and rendering 3D products in a scene. As you can do everything inside the same software, you can have a good workflow. This prevent you from using 4softwares. Other professional of the same fields are using this software, making the file exchange in case of collaboration much easier (even if files support exporting and importing is also quite good)

3ds Max Design review by Ahmed F.
Ahmed F.

"3Ds Max Architectural Visualization "

What do you like best?

One of the major things that makes me us use 3d Max in our company how easy it is .. how you can generate tons of scripts that make everything pretty easy to do .. also in general it's easy to use compare to other 3d software.

What do you dislike?

First thing it's price .. too much to pay .. also some times - with large file - become kinda unstable and crash .. you could loose important files if you didn't pay attention for that.

Mainly we are working with Animation and CGIs .. we offer these services for real state companies and design studios .. Animation is too easy to be done in 3d max in aid of some plugins and scripts.

3d max native renderer is very hard to deal with actually , so we always looking for another like vray or corona .. these renders save too much time in rendering and give a great quality within short time

3ds Max Design review by Anh Tuan N.
Anh Tuan N.

"imprecisely easy-going engineering "

What do you like best?

It works well with v-ray and comparable with many other 2d software

What do you dislike?

It can't control the exact information of a shape which is not what an engineer expect afterward

Recommendations to others considering the product

In the era that all the 3d softwares are benefiting from Vray rendering, 3ds max still has its role when it comes down to quality and realistic appearance of the out come. It is supper good for undetermined shape designing but that's all it can offer. if you consider yourself more than an artist or rendering man, you would need something more than 3dsmax or something powerful to go with it.

I'm working on architectural design and I am looking for a software or a series of softwares that have tight relation to produce technical drawing as well as presentation form beginning to the end. This industry is benefiting big time from the software companies like autodesk and many others.

3ds Max Design review by JD A.
JD A.

"Powerful modeling software, but you don't need the "Design" version anymore"

What do you like best?

3DS Max Design has all of the same functionality as 3DS Max, but with an emphasis on architectural design. Modeling in Max has always been very user friendly and less complex than other solutions such as MAYA. Texturing is a painless process, bone skeletons for animating are easier to see than in other programs, and it works very well with 3rd party rendering solutions such as Vray. Autodesk has also made it easy on those that learned on MAYA to use the Max line by creating a mode using the MAYA keyboard shortcuts.

What do you dislike?

3DS Max Design has features that would benefit the mainline of 3DS Max that make certain files incompatible between the two versions. It makes working between the two a bit difficult and not easy to recommend. 3DS Max only runs on Windows, making it a tough sell for a mac-only workflow.

Recommendations to others considering the product

3DS Max Design has been folded into the mainline 3DS Max program. This is the only reason that I cannot recommend 3DS Max Design under any circumstances. Instead, I would strongly recommend picking up a copy of 3DS Max 2016, as it retains all of the functionality of Max Design and provides the robust modeling engine the program is known for. The only real downside to Max is that it is tied down to Windows, so OSX users should find an alternative, as Apple's hardware choices make it hard to recommend giving Max a go on a Windows partition.

3DS Max Design allows us to make spectacular models for our films and videos. It is a great tool for character and environment modeling. Beyond our use of it for final renders, it also is a great way to create a 3D representation of our concept art, making it easier to see how props can be built, as well as creating fast pre-visualization sequences.

3ds Max Design review by Stanislav K.
Stanislav K.

"Using 3ds max more than decade..."

What do you like best?

Solid work horse for some tasks. Pretty much ready for complex tasks "out of box".

Wide array of renderers for any task. #1 tool for architects and "still" artists.

Quick and simply tool for rendering objects or scenes, has some tools (mostly 3rd party) than other packages does not have.

What do you dislike?

Lag in development in other areas than architecture visualization.

Overcomplicated in the particles area, lacks "Mograph" like SIMPLY tool.

Drop in stability on later releases.

Born as a industry standard in the CG, somehow dropped the pace of innovations and took wrong turn with "arch rendering" field

Recommendations to others considering the product

This software lacks in the fields of "tricks" like Cinema 4D or procedural stuff like Maya or Hudini, but still a solid player in the fields of CG graphics.

Broadcast design mostly, branding in the fields of broadcast and some 3d visualization stuff.

Nice way of managing layers through Render States.

3ds Max Design review by Martin D.
Martin D.

"One software, all possibilities"

What do you like best?

Versatility is something I really like. It is a very comprehensive program with which you can make all kinds of content. In my case, it is for art, motion and advertisign. Being such a popular program, you can find all types of content, tutorials, resources and plugings.

What do you dislike?

The program design is a bit complicated in the beginning. You need someone to help you understand what does each panel, and where it is located.

Recommendations to others considering the product

When you have knowledge in 3d, i recommend Max. It is a software that allows everything.

When I can not solve with photo shoot, or when I need an animation. With practice, one gets amazing results.

3ds Max Design review by Sayani M.
Sayani M.

"Awesome Solution for Architectural Design"

What do you like best?

The flawless features of 3ds Max. Everything is just at its place. I has every tool needed for modeling, texturing and lighting hard surface 3D scenes.

It's dynamics is awesome and provide real life effects.

What do you dislike?

I don't particularly like its lack of good animation tools. It should be more effective so that we don't have to switch to another software just for the sake of animating.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I totally recommend it to other users who are in the 3D design field, whether engineering, architectural or product design.

I am look for architectural visualization solutions. 3Ds Max empower me with every tool to realize the solutions.

3ds Max Design review by Tika S.
Tika S.

"Excellent software for architects and designers"

What do you like best?

i am interior designer , so i'm using 3ds max for modelling and renderings, it helps me to create realistic scenes for projects with details ,create excellent visualizations.using this software, you can create high quality projects, 3ds max is also great for modelling and video tours ,which are very important for architects and designers.

What do you dislike?

mostly , i'm very contented with 3ds max , i really don't have negative estimations, of course there are some problems sometimes , but i think it depends on your knowledge and experience with this program.One thing that i don't like is that it's really hard to work in this software , 3ds max really don''t belongs to the easy-to-learn programs.

3ds max gives you possibility to show your work in high quality , create realistic projects and all of this ,of course ,makes good impressions on customers.

3ds Max Design review by Wagner d.
Wagner d.

"A complete tool "

What do you like best?

The software is one of the most complete softwares in the market. Its a powerfull tool that has a infinite possibilities to do whatever you want. The interface is very organized, and you can work with a lot of polygons on the viewport without crash or slowdown.

What do you dislike?

It's not an easy software to learning, but if you learn how the 3D works, you can do a lot of things that other softwares can't do.

Also, work with precision is a negative point , mainly if you are working with Splines, and would be nice if we could set up a render size/aspect by camera.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Learn it! Its a professional software!

Well, this software is compatible with almost other softwares, so if I need to use some tool or resource of another software I just need use the Import/Export tool and it's ok.

3ds Max Design review by Cahyo P.
Cahyo P.

"3ds max for industrial desig "

What do you like best?

Quick 3d sketch, movement simulation, rendering & presentation, export & import to solid modeling software

What do you dislike?

Heavy rendering for movie, it's better to use autodesk showcase

Recommendations to others considering the product

Good for single product modeling, need higher pc spec for more complex product and big scene rendering

Quick sketch and simulation for product modeling before making detail design with solid modeling software

3ds Max Design review by Florim K.
Florim K.

"It is a great tool for producing real life renders!"

What do you like best?

I like the interface and look of the program. I love how customizable the whole user l;ayout is and how flexible your renderings turn out to be. It is not an easy task to generate the right render but 3ds Max is the only program where I can control every parameter.

What do you dislike?

How the tutorials of this product are not as helpful as you'd think they would be. You have to teach yourself, take a class or watch Lynda tutorials online. A good 2-3 weeks of solid practice will make you an intermediate user of this program

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend everyone to take a couple of classes or watch a few videos before they open up the program to work for the first time. This is not a self learning program but will become your best 3d tool once you get the hang of it.

I am able to generate renderings of spaces the way I want them too. Once I got the hang of all the options in the program, it became very easy for me to create renderings and play with the parameters.

3ds Max Design review by Stanislav M.
Stanislav M.

"Great software for architectural visualization!"

What do you like best?

This is the best software for architectural visualization in all aspects on this direction. Everything you need for architectural visualization (no matter interior or exterior) you already have in 3DS Max. If you need something more or some special tool.. You can complete it with lots of plugs, whatever you need.

What do you dislike?

Texturing process for difficult objects must be easier. I think it will be amended in later version.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you use 3DS-Max for architectural visualization.. I recommend use it with great plugs like V-Ray or Corona render.. with this plugs Your 3DS-Max will be ultimate powerful tool for architectural visualization! Always look forward - use newer version of this great software like 3DS-Max 2016!

3DS Max allow us to make architectural visualizations (static and animation) with high-end level of quality. Tools for modeling make our working process easier and faster.

3ds Max Design review by Derdeicea V.
Derdeicea V.

"Animation and Gaming Modeling"

What do you like best?

3Ds Max is a great all around tool, you can create beautiful interior design, character rigging, animations and beautiful renderings. Most of the time we've used 3Ds Max for gaming, environment design and modeling. We've started working with it back in the days where there was 3Ds Max 7 (Catalyst) on interior design with all sorts of rendering engines, from Vray to MentalRay and others.

What do you dislike?

We don't really dislike the product, but somehow find the interface a bit difficult to work with. Autodesk has definitely improved the elements and the views along the way. For newcomers it can look really scary, but once you learn the basics of it you can have a lot of fun.

With 3Ds Max we've really made some great graphics, it helped up a lot on making renderings and creating our vision into environments.

3ds Max Design review by User

"15 year experienced 3d Artist"

What do you like best?

The vast number of tools available and complexity of the software allowing you to create 3d assets as well as animate them.

What do you dislike?

Every few versions the UI changes too drastically leaving the user confused as to where certain tools are. Also the software is known for crashing often.

We use 3ds Max to create 3d assets for the healthcare industry. We are able to translate real world objects into 3d space and then use them in 3d simulations.

3ds Max Design review by Agency in Marketing and Advertising
Agency in Marketing and Advertising

"3DS Max Review"

What do you like best?

Max has been a solid piece of software allowing to create mockup of entire spaces with relative speed.

What do you dislike?

I would like to see the interface get a refresh to something more modern and updated, it feels a bit dated. Also the inclusion of the ability to copy and paste objects from one scene to another seems like a simple thing that other 3D programs can do ie. cinema 4D. I would also like to see the inclusion of more intuitive animation/atmospheric tools. Blender is a free piece of software that often outperforms max in this area.

I use Max on a daily basis to create visualizations of interior spaces and design. Often creating build visualizations and schematics for builders and fabricators.

3ds Max Design review by Andrei B.
Andrei B.

"To work in 3ds max !"

What do you like best?

speed. most of the tasks. 3ds max and google decide

What do you dislike?

bugs, crashes, low speed max script. More advanced modifiers. Not any drop down menu.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Him to make friends like any other software. This software is designed for those who have not yet decided in what specific area he will use it. He will let you try each.

most of the tasks it solves.

3ds Max Design review by Robert K.
Robert K.

"3ds Max for designing"

What do you like best?

The biggest anvantage of 3ds max, that it has a lot of tutorials, plugins and support from other applications. I really like the render options in at and I can customize it. It makes my work easier and the outcome will be nicer. Also the realistic day light feature is useful.

What do you dislike?

My biggest dislike is the user interface. At the beggining it was hard to find the features and the setting for the different tools. After you learn it, its much easier but a bit hard for total begginers. An other disadvantage, that it doesn't support osx so I have to run two system while working.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend it for designers and others who works with visualiation.

For pruduct design, do the modelling, prepare renders and presentations. Sometimes for animations.

3ds Max Design review by User

"Amazing tool for creative modelers"

What do you like best?

I really like the possibility to create a really complex models in a few minutes.

you don't need to be a professional user to build amazing models.

What do you dislike?

The interface should be a little bit more simple, especially for new users. Also you need to have a basic knowledge of 3D if you want to use this software really well.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend to see a lot of videos before on youtube. Some tutorials you can find there are really usefull for beginners. If you want to learn this software really well, youtube will be your best friend.

You can really grow up your creativity. 3ds Max is a really good sofware if you have no time and you have to build a rough model.

Symple amazing the possibility to use it close to Vray or MentalRay.

3ds Max Design review by Aditya D.
Aditya D.

"Best 3D modeling software"

What do you like best?

The best part about this software is the ease of use of the different functions. Also, the animations that can be created is super fun to make.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing really that I dislike about the software.

Recommendations to others considering the product

When using the software, try to use the lighting. It illuminates the modeling experience.

3ds Max Design has multiple applications. I am using it to create parts and models in manufacturing.

3ds Max Design review by Syafiq M.
Syafiq M.

"Greatest 3D modelling software!"

What do you like best?

I used 3Ds Max Design as my main modelling software, it's great when come to detail modelling and RAM saving. Since my first time using this software until now, it's been very friendly 3D software ever.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes attaching model too much will cause your scene to crash without a warning.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want to learn 3D Modelling, this is the greatest software to use. From beginner to expert it's suit all user.

Easily can model any 3D shape faster and efficient. The stack layer really helpful.

3ds Max Design review by KC M.
KC M.

"3Ds Max for Entertainment/Media Work"

What do you like best?

3Ds Max is definitely the most intuitive 3D program among Autodesk's suite (now that Softimage has been retired). The integration with a variety of programs in Autodesk's lineup is definitely more complete than even in Maya, and it is very useful in a variety of production workflows.

What do you dislike?

I primarily use Maya because 3Ds Max isn't as complete a solution for 3D animation and VFX work. It can do the job, but it isn't as elegant a solution as Maya in my opinion.

Recommendations to others considering the product

3Ds Max is a great program, but it certainly isn't the only solution. In my opinion, solutions like Cinema 4D are better for broadcast while Maya is better for more intensive entertainment work.

I primarily produce short films and short-form YouTube content such as product reviews.

3ds Max Design review by User in Architecture & Planning
User in Architecture & Planning

"Great for 3D Modelling"

What do you like best?

It has a lot of great features for 3D modelling. Much better than other available programs such as Maya.

What do you dislike?

The downside is that it is very similar to a lot of other programs that are also available (Maya, Softimage, Blender). It has a lot of good features that other programs do not have and it is missing a number of features that other programs do have. It does not feel worth the price tag for all these different 3D packages which ideally should have all of their features rolled into one larger package.

We use this program occasionally for high-quality renders and for 3D work that Sketch-Up is not capable of accomplishing. It is nice to render a scene with the incredible freedom you get with a full 3D package like this and makes it easy to sell projects when the customer can see exactly what they are going to get.

3ds Max Design review by User in Defense & Space
User in Defense & Space

"Thinking Outside the Box with 3DS Max"

What do you like best?

Max has a nifty set of creation tools built right into it, giving the user the ability to build more initial shape options than Maya. It offers essential tools like the wall and window tools for quick fabrication of structures. I wish I knew about those tools earlier, but I appreciate including those since I often create hard surfaces. With Maya you would have to download and install a plugin. Max also has a way with mapping UVs that I prefer over Maya. The program crashes less often when working with UVs in Max and I can position UV's with greater precision.

What do you dislike?

Coming from the world of Maya, using Max is like walking backwards. The use of modifiers is very restricting and time consuming. I just want to move quickly between the tools I want to use and craft away at my geometry, and not scroll down a list of modifiers and apply them before I can activate the tool to edit the geometry. The visual representation of what I'm selecting in the viewport is terrible compared to the highlighting in Maya. The pivot point of the camera being placed in the center of whatever you have selected is very frustrating when you need to move around large pieces of geometry. Overall, everything in Max has an extra step the user needs to complete when the he or she could do it in Maya for one step less.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Go with Maya. Autodesk clearly favors Maya over Max in polishing its product. Max is clunky to work with and not very streamlined at all with its modeling workflow. Max has the user work in a particular the way it wants them to work and it can be very frustrating and time consuming adding and subtracting modifiers along the way. It's naturally more intuitive working in Maya than it is in Max.

Max has helped create terrain features faster than other used software. It's also versatile in working with the multitude of file formats we deal with.

3ds Max Design review by Ryan S.
Ryan S.

"Occasional user since the 3D Studio days: Max keeps on kicking"

What do you like best?

I love that Max has the ability to create a model or animation from scratch but is also adept at importing other formatted files in to edit and render. I love it's interoperability with other Autodesk products (particularly Inventor). I've used it to create animations, layout buildings and design products.

What do you dislike?

The UI is pretty daunting and not very user friendly. On-boarding takes quite a bit of training but it's a powerful program, so a sleek and simple UI would probably do more harm than good.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're looking to get into 3D modeling or rendering and am familiar with Autodesk's suite of products, I would say Max is a good choice. I'm not overly familiar with it's competitors but I think that it would be able to hold it's own upon comparison.

No business problem solving currently. I fiddle with Max here and there for fun and it has proved itself over the years to be a great idea generator for me. I typically model using Inventor (I'm more familiar with it) and will bring in ideas to Max to add maps, cameras and some light animation.

3ds Max Design review by Administrator in Architecture & Planning
Administrator in Architecture & Planning

"First priority program to learn when taking up Architecture"

What do you like best?

Autodesk 3ds Max allows users the freedom to express their ideas through digital visualization. The program is very flexible and can work around the limit of the user and at the same time, provide exceptional renderings for a client. Basically, having this installed in your workstation results to having an all purpose program, you can do editing, presentations, animations and still graphics. Overall, a good 10/10 for Architecture and Engineering related professions.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I had difficulty with was the interface. Back when I was studying 3ds Max, I was struggling due to the fact that I was not familiar with the toolbars and how it works, there were so many things and I was a bit overwhelmed! But as time grew by and the need for a powerful modelling software rises, learning the program was a great help especially during visualizations.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is very helpful and would up your chances of success!

Architectural visualizations are very hard to do especially if you have a lot of clients. You have to follow a client's point of view and you have to help them understand the scope, look and feel of your proposal. Aside from this, different clients have different perspective and you have to follow them to make them like you. 3ds Max is a great help for this as it is flexible enough to match the different needs of the client.

3ds Max Design review by Riccardo I.
Riccardo I.

"I am a graphic designer and I use it a lot since 2001"

What do you like best?

I like the flexibility and the ease of use, keeping in mind its complexity

What do you dislike?

Maybe its own rendering engine could be improved, a lot of 3d artists use 3d party rendering engine that works better and faster

Recommendations to others considering the product

There are so many 3d softwares around, didn't tried them all, but i think 3dSMAX is one of the best.

Using it to create abstract illustration for advertising stuff and I use it a lot to model, texture and render 3d products mockups

3ds Max Design review by Alia G.
Alia G.

"Very helpful modeling software"

What do you like best?

very good for building 3D models and I love to render on it.

What do you dislike?

The interface is sometimes not friendly.

building virtual 3D models and rendenring