Abacus

Abacus

Real-time employee expense management & reimbursement

Work for Abacus?

Learning about Abacus?

Abacus Reviews

Ask Abacus a Question
Showing 813 Abacus reviews
Abacus review by Amanda C.
Amanda C.

"Abacus is a seamless and easy to use expense system"

What do you like best?

Abacus' user interface is extremely intuitive and easy to use. Compared to the Concur system, expensing on Abacus is a breeze because of the ability to drag images into the platform, and the small amount of details that are required relating to one expense. What's even better is that you can upload expenses directly from your phone through the mobile app. This makes it a lot harder to forget to submit an expense because you can do so as soon as you receive the receipt.

What do you dislike?

Abacus should show an aggregate amount of expenses outstanding immediately on the home page. They should also show the amount of funds that have already been approved and are on their way, as well as the expected deposit date. The categories of expenses appear to be limited - users should be able to suggest their own to administrators in some way.

Recommendations to others considering the product

They should definitely switch from Concur to Abacus because Abacus is much more easy to use and understand. It is also faster and has a simpler user interface. It is nearly impossible to not understand how to use this software.

The system has easily solved the issue of submitting expenses. Because the platform is so seamless and easy to use, it has improved the accounting method that is used for expenses. Additionally, because all of the expenses must be categorized it is easy to see where the highest expenditures are happening. This has also made reimbursements back to employees a lot faster as well.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Abacus
Abacus review by David C.
David C.

"Abacus has changed my life!"

What do you like best?

Easiest way to process expense charges! Rather than have a full wallet of receipts, along with digital ones that then need to be printed and validated, Abacus full integrates them seamlessly. Moreover, I can also review and approve the expenses from my direct reports. The time saving, efficiency and easy of use is truly outstanding. I would even say that Abacus is fun to use (transforming expense reporting from being my least favorite activity to something that I'm happy to do).

What do you dislike?

I would say waiting 25 years in the workforce to have an employer move to a digital expense report platform.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Abacus is truly an excellent product. Both as a website and as an app, the interfaces are intuitive, easy to navigate and logical. If one is familiar with online shopping and basic personal record-keeping, the Abacus platform will seem natural with a very quick learning curve.

Completing my own expense reports efficiently, speedily and accurately.

Realizing the same from my direct reports.

Supporting my organization in ensuring that expense reporting is done regularly and accurately.

Being reimbursed quickly, especially for large expenses.

Finally, enabling me to have greater visibility in the expenses of my reports to ensure that we adhere to our budget and spend our resources wisely.

What Expense Management solution do you use?

Abacus review by Marc P.
Marc P.

"Great product for simplifying business expenses"

What do you like best?

I like the ease of entering expenses. The user interface is very easy to navigate, and very thoughtfully laid out. Also, the bank transfer, after approval, is very easy and streamlined. I like that Abacus sends me e-mails about the timing of the approval and bank transfer.

What do you dislike?

I wish there were a way to save a draft expense. Often times i start an expense report, and then find myself having to click out of the window, only to have to start from scratch. I am not sure if there is a way to setup template expense reports. As a contractor every two weeks, I submit a time card for wage approvals. It would be nice to have a template setup so all that I have to do is input the number of hours and the PDF of the time card for approval. This would save a lot of time and make for more consistent entries.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend Abacus to any small business. Having worked at a large company before coming here, the expense report system was disastrous and people were delinquent is submitting forms for reimbursement. Abacus has makes expenses easy to process, and provides no excuses for people not to submit their reports.

I am a contractor, and am able to enter my time card for approval very easily. As a contractor, I often work from home. Abacus makes it easy to remotly upload my time card and submit for approval.

Abacus review by Susmita P.
Susmita P.

"Wonderful tool for keeping track of expenses!"

What do you like best?

I really enjoy both Abacus's website and mobile app for submitting my expenses and keeping track of reimbursements. It seamlessly connected to my bank, shows my past reimbursement data, and I'm able to easily view my pending expenses.

What do you dislike?

I don't dislike anything at all! The app especially has a great UI

Recommendations to others considering the product

In today's age, choose a tool for your employees that already has a great complementary app. They'll thank you.

The business benefits are multiple. I'm able to submit expenses with a few taps on my screen, from my mobile device directly, and categorize them efficiently. I greatly prefer this to other tools I've used for business expense reimbursements, which were clunky, had strange fields, and did not have a great user interface.

Abacus review by Danielle C.
Danielle C.

"Abacus is amazing! Simple, easy to use and allows your company to get your money back fast."

What do you like best?

With Abacus mobile app you can take pictures of receipts and instantly submit them as expenses. Abacus also allows you to connect credit cards to your account so that it will load the transactions for you to review and submit. Our company is able to save time on processing reimbursements and gets our money back to us within 1-3 days using Abacus. I highly recommend it to any company!

What do you dislike?

I dislike the suggested expenses emails.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Easy for internal processing and end user to use. Great product!

Turn around time to get money back to employees and labor involved in processing reimbursements.

That with Abacus it takes less time to process reimbursements which means less labor hours and less time for employees to wait to receive their money.

Abacus review by Bobbie G.
Bobbie G.

"Easy-Peezy "

What do you like best?

It's fast, easy, and convenient. I literally don't even need to keep paper receipts in my wallet or folders anymore. I take a picture of all receipts and keep them in my phone on my abacus app and never deal with losing them again... and It's done immediately when I pay for something! Boom! Done!

What do you dislike?

I can't customize some fields and can't edit some information after it's entered. It drives me a little crazy when I can't go back and change the detail that I entered or add more detail.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Always have the app on your main home screen so it is quickly and easily accessible on your phone.

It can be done in purchasing realtime. Less saving receipts. Snap the receipt picture as you purchase. I used to lose receipts and now I don't have that problem any more and won't ever again. YEA! A win for Abacus! I also have learned that I save a ton of time. Time is saved on the front end at the point of sale... bc it's so easy, and hours are saved on the back end not having to fill out forms and attach documentation and worry about losing everything.

Abacus review by Danae M.
Danae M.

"So easy I don't even think about it"

What do you like best?

The ability to pick out recent transactions straight from connected cards and turn them into expenses is awesome. Having Abacus handle my bank transfers means I don't even have to think about it.

What do you dislike?

They can't put money back on a credit card, which means that if you make a purchase near the end of your billing cycle, you might have to float some cash to pay off your bill rather than wait for a bank transfer to a checking account, then paying that to the card.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Set up all of your bank accounts and credit cards on the software before you expense anything.

I don't have to go to Accounting every time I want to purchase something. If there is a deal on a flight for a conference I'm going to that appears on Saturday morning, I can just purchase it and get reimbursed for it in a couple of days.

Abacus review by Jay P.
Jay P.

"Best I've Used"

What do you like best?

Abacus allows for real time, easy, submission of all expenses I have. With direct approval and direct deposit it is by far the best expense reimbursement tool I have ever used.

What do you dislike?

I wish I could allow multiple addresses to send receipts from . Since these are reimbursements most of my receipts go to my personal email address yet Abacus will only accept them from my work email address. Minor quibble but the only one I have.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's better (from a user perspective) than anything else I've come across.

The benefit is time and money - takes me only a minute to submit expenses as I get them. This means that I don't have to spend half a day every month trying to wrangle receipts and hope I remember what they're for.

Abacus review by Tracey M.
Tracey M.

"Elegance in its simplicity, excellent tool."

What do you like best?

The Abacus user interface is clean, easy to use, and it is easy to find what you need. Our previous system would take months to arrive, so it's useful that it can be in my bank account in a matter of weeks. The application is really great because I can take pictures of my receipts on the fly and not have to save them and enter them all at once, In addition, it facilitates the approval of payments for expenses since we can integrate it with our credit card to facilitate the payment.

What do you dislike?

the possibility of adding a date in which you want the reviewer to approve it. If I have a very large expense, I want my manager to know that I would need it by a certain date in order to manage my personal finances.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The mobile application is the best part of Abacus, makes it even easier for users.

It has made it easier for you not to lose receipts and for expenses to be paid faster, i can quickly access my application and see its status, so it reduces the excess of communication regarding whether my request was received or when I can wait for it.

Abacus review by User in Internet

"Finally, a tech-forward solution for dreaded expense reporting"

What do you like best?

Clarity, automation. Ability to email in receipts or submit via app. I can submit expenses as I accrue them, rather than try to recall all end of month.

What do you dislike?

I wish there were more granular edit abilities -- I've run into a few issues trying to edit an expense once submitted but before approved. I've also had issues where the exchange rate used by the platform differed slightly from how I was charged by my bank. It was a lot of manual work fixing that. The drop down categories can be a tad slow in-app, only noticeable when submitting multiple expenses, but for that reason I wish I could auto-pre-populate the dept drop down, since my expenses are consistently for the same department and save on the 3 sec to render each time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be very deliberate in setting up the rules for your organization -- it's possible that a lot of my feedback for Abacus is dictated by the rules in place established by our admin, not necessarily indicative of the tool itself.

Clarity, ease of workflows around expenses and approvals.

Abacus review by Brittany C.
Brittany C.

"Fast, easy reimbursements right back to your team"

What do you like best?

The speed of processing and and total lack of hassle. I've always had to use Excel spreadsheets and clunky expense reporting software before, so getting started with my new organization I resigned myself to looking for the least-bad option out there. Then I found Abacus, and now I love the expense reimbursement process. It cuts out all the tedious paperwork (bye bye monthly expense reports) and focuses on what we're really trying to do: validate expenses and get my teammates' money back into their bank accounts. The timeline from submission to approval to initiating direct deposit has been as little as 30 seconds. It's incredible, and really reinforces the values of consideration and responsiveness on our team.

What do you dislike?

I get the sense that the developers are still working out some kinks in the web and mobile apps – a few times the app has crashed or I've found myself in a loop trying to change some minor detail in an entry. Every single time I've run into an issue, the team has responded quickly and solved it for me. They're also very fast to push updates.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it!

I work at a startup, which means lots of chaos and (for me) constant anxiety that something important will fall through the cracks. I want my teammates to get paid back on time, and I don't want to spend my time policing cumbersome protocols. I'm pretty obsessed with our payroll system, but I like that we're not forced to link reimbursement processing to payroll processing. Asking folks to wait two weeks for hundreds of dollars they've paid out of pocket is not something I want to do if I don't have to. My startup also happens to be a nonprofit, which means we'll be audited every single year. We have to keep track of every receipt, and I appreciate that Abacus plays well with our accounting system Xero.

Abacus review by User in Computer Software

"Easy to Use with Actionable Integrations"

What do you like best?

- easy to use app on desktop and mobile for all experiences.

- easy to setup to ensure expenses meet the necessary criteria

- data-heavy and driven to help inform Accounting and Business teams of their expenses and how they line up with sales pipelines.

- easy to submit expenses on the go, so no one ever needs to save receipts and bulk submit expenses later on.

- can attribute expenses to a number of categories and/or allocate to numerous participants to better inform a large expense.

What do you dislike?

n/a right now, I would highly recommend this product.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a great product to use and consider if you're looking to understand expenses in more depth and how they align with your employees' goals and spending habits. The number of integrations possible for Abacus are high which makes using this software easy to pitch as managers have an easy time approving expenses (Slack integration!) as well as VPs/Finance teams more clearly aligning quarterly goals with the expenses being submitted by employees.

Understanding your expenditures at scale is crucial to success and Abacus ensures this is an easy and scalable process for all involved.

Expenses - reimbursement and submission.

Sales Pipeline Data Analysis - understanding how expenses correlate with sales goals for each business unit and their respective employees.

Abacus review by Brandon M.
Brandon M.

"Gamechanger for expense reporting and payouts"

What do you like best?

Easy to use, intuitive and works well with large groups/teams as well as for one-off expenses. In the past it was horrible to have to scan receipts, send them in and then follow what was paid back and what was not.

Now, it is completely seamless. It is easy enough that I typically find myself submitting my expenses in real time. Snap a photo of the receipt, enter the amount, choose the "Why" and categorize. Takes about 45 seconds and I'm done. Then I am alerted when approved and when money is coming back to my bank.

Having had a corporate credit card in the past that still required expense reporting versus just using my own cards and linking to my bank - I would much prefer to just use Abacus.

What do you dislike?

Not a ton to dislike. The team is always innovating and improving, so really it's just about waiting for them to make it better. Would be nice to link it to my credit cards and then allow me to simply review charges and mark them as "business expense". Then I wouldn't even need the receipts.

Aside from that, maybe allowing saved expenses that I can control/customize. Such as buying supplies for an office event. If I could save all the settings for a custom even I would only need to tap "Holiday party" and it fills in all the sub-categories, that might be cool.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Can't think of any downsides from a user aspect.

I work very cross-functionally and with teams all over the company. As such, I often am running around grabbing last minute supplies for recruiting events, office events, team outings, etc.

The major benefit is time of logging and reporting and ease of use.

Abacus review by Meilani K.
Meilani K.

"Abacus Review "

What do you like best?

I like the app and how seamless and easy it is to submit the expenses. Being able to instantly take a picture and submit my expense instantly makes me feel better about not forgetting things.

What do you dislike?

I don't have any negative feedback. The UI is amazing, it's fast, and easy to use.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend Abacus as a user in a company. It makes traveling for work so much easier and reassuring that my things are being sent in immediately, and once I send it in, I don't have any extra work to do as far as saving paper receipts, etc. Since I always have my phone on me, I can immediately snap a photo and submit my expense and not have to worry about it anymore. I also like how it notifies me when my expenses have been approved, and when funds appear in my bank account.

Being able to submit expenses instantly keeps people accountable and organized.

Abacus review by Tyler M.
Tyler M.

"Great, great, great platform for expense reimbursement and reporting!"

What do you like best?

Abacus is quick to roll out (for both users and admins) and makes it fast and easy for our employees and volunteers to get reimbursed for expenses they incur, as well as making it easy to reconcile company card expenses. The integration with our accounting system is extremely easy to use and works very well, which makes our bookkeepers happy.

What do you dislike?

Reimbursements are slightly slow (4-5 days) which can be a problem for some of our volunteers.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it out and see how easy it is to use! It's an order of magnitude easier than the competitors, the value of which can't be understated.

As a nationwide nonprofit, we have hundreds of volunteers, dozens of contractors, and a smallish number of employees located all across the US. Abacus makes managing the thousands of charges these people generate easy, and its integration with our accounting system is excellent. Overall we've saved 15-25 hours a quarter of reconciling receipts each quarter.

Abacus review by Lindsay D.
Lindsay D.

"Quick and painless to get started, nice notifications for status changes."

What do you like best?

Submitting a new expense … step-by-step process is effortless and predetermined categorization is handy. I enjoyed the interactivity to add a bank to my account and appreciate the direct deposit feature quite a bit.

What do you dislike?

No way for individuals to remind management to review/approve a claim. I have a few submissions "pending expenses" just sitting there from four months ago. I just need a button to send a notification to the head of the department (not my direct manager) and request a review of an expense from that department (not my own department).

Recommendations to others considering the product

I can't compare it to other software but if you're switching from a manual process you will be in heaven. On-boarding is easy to start an account and add bank information. Not frustrating to use for submitting for reimbursement 2-5x per month.

Process for expense approval. Before we had a manual process with submissions via email and documented with an excel spreadsheet. Abacus saves us loads of time for approval and repayment, along with providing a more enjoyable experience for users submitting expenses.

Abacus review by Warren W.
Warren W.

"Switched over from Expensify to Abacus"

What do you like best?

I'm usually doing expense receipts on the go during business travel.

For that purpose, having an easy, user-friendly mobile app is really important.

Forwarding emailed receipts and invoices to Abacus to be expenses is helpful too.

Customer support resolved an issue where reimbursements were taking several days and I thought it was because they were floating the money for pennies, I contacted support and discovered that our ACH transfer is slow to prevent fraud. As more money moves through Abacus, our "credit reputation" will go up and payment speed will increase.

What do you dislike?

A notification or explanation to me as a user would have been helpful.

Also, this works well for our small company (10 people), however, I could see where this doesn't give you the bigger management/enterprise features you would want.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great for small businesses.

Great support.

Excellent mobile app.

Our company was looking for an easier way to do reimbursements.

Abacus review by Mate B.
Mate B.

"Easy expensing"

What do you like best?

The convenience of its features to make expensing very simple and quick.

What do you dislike?

The mobile app which has only the minimum features and does not adequately follow its desktop application.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need good software to keep track of your expenses and the expenses of your team, you can completely rely on Abacus. Its options that you can choose and build for your expensing categories are great!

Regular weekly and monthly expensing are the activities and the main problem resolved is that we replaced another software with Abacus which is much better with quality features. The benefits are quick reporting and approving in real time.

Abacus review by Michelle N.
Michelle N.

"Very Efficient"

What do you like best?

All employees are able to access the site easily and can upload receipts along with their expenses. It's a simple design and makes the process of reimbursing employees easy.

What do you dislike?

When you need an employee to change something on their submitted expense, it becomes complicated, as they have to resubmit all together, rather than just change a few words in the description.

It keeps all reimbursements in one place for each employee. This allows us to understand what our employees are spending money on, who is doing the spending, and how much.

Abacus review by Christine P.
Christine P.

"Intuitive Ease of Use "

What do you like best?

Without taking a session to learn how to use it or following tutorials, it is instantly understandable and easy to use to complete the tasks I need. Where you imagine searching for things is where they exist.

What do you dislike?

Being unable to attach multiple receipts to one expense so that you don't have to take one photo of multiple receipts. When I went out of the country for an international conference, I had over 40 receipts, but wanted to log them to the same expense, vs creating multiple over and over again. I had to creatively take a picture of all the receipts together to upload as one individual expense. This way my supervisor didn't also have to approve 40+ expenses.

Solving for conference expenses within other countries with receipts I need to translate the currencies. Having the currency converter was awesome as I was dealing with multiple different countries and currencies.

Abacus review by Noreen A.
Noreen A.

"Straightforward, Easy"

What do you like best?

The ease of adding expenses is what really cinches the product in my opinion. The website itself is incredibly straightforward and easily understood. More than that, having never used such a program previously, I really appreciate the quality of the mobile app. It made it so much easier to simply be able to add expenses straight from my phone, particularly during a cross country move!

What do you dislike?

I do feel that it is a little clunky in some areas, but our company is small enough that it is not quite such a big deal. That said, it is otherwise super function and straightforward.

As an employee in a super small startup, this was the easiest way of formally sharing my expenses and making sure they were correctly reimbursed. I don't have daily expenses though, or even monthly expenses. I imagine I would have a different experience to speak from if I used this for more than simply being reimbursed for my moving expenses and initial apartment security deposit.

Abacus review by Brian C.
Brian C.

"Loveable core, with buggy exterior"

What do you like best?

The product vision and pace of execution with this company is great. Between the app, the automatic scanning and matching of receipts, the admin portal tools and the syncing with major credit cards, accounting systems and personal inbox - they made a ton of progress toward a correct vision of how a corporate expense management system should work. My end users love the app and the simplicity of submitting expenses. Choosing Abacus made me look good.

What do you dislike?

The product still has a long way to go in terms of speed, reliability, UX design, and cohesive experience. You'll often click on something and nothing happens, or the sync will be buggy, or the menu will load and half the items are off-screen. That said, they deploy new features very quickly, are very responsive to feedback, and in the five months I've used them up to 11/2016, I've seen large improvements and rapid releases.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be vocal about product feedback, be ready to tolerate quirks and bugs.

Expense management and reimbursement tracking

Abacus review by Gerard S.
Gerard S.

"Abacus is the best tool for paperless expense reimbursements"

What do you like best?

I get receipts in one of two ways: a hard copy (i.e. retail store), or in email (i.e. online order). In the case of a hard copy, I open the Abacus mobile app, snap a picture with my phone, and create a new expense in a about 30 seconds. In the case of an email, I forward the receipt to the Abacus email address, open the website, and create a new expense right then and there. No paper forms, no scanning, no emails to personal email addresses that may or may not get looked at.

What do you dislike?

Not a lot. Admittedly, I don't have a lot of basis for comparison, having never used an electronic expense account system like Abacus before.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are using paper at all for expense tracking, you're doing it wrong.

In addition to saving time, business expenses are cash out of pocket, which impacts my family's bottom line. The quicker and easier it is to get reimbursed, the better off I am all-around. If I have to wait a month to get reimbursed for a business expense, it's a negative feeling overall.

Abacus review by Dan B.
Dan B.

"Efficient and User Friendly"

What do you like best?

My company has been using Abacus for a little over a year now and it has worked wonders in that short amount of time. I no longer have to keep a folder in my filing cabinet of receipts for reimbursement. I just buy what is needed for the company or a project I'm working on, take a picture of the receipt and upload it to Abacus. When the finance team gets around to it they reimburse me and the money goes right back into my bank account.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I dislike is the limit. I have heard many co-workers complain about the reimbursement limit. However, if you're like me and submit your receipt immediately, this will not really be a problem.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get it now and save yourself the headaches.

Thanks to Abacus, the company I work for has freed up the finance and human resource's teams time on more important issues.

Abacus review by Taylor P.
Taylor P.

"Abacus Review"

What do you like best?

I like how I can easily upload receipt pictures to the site. In addition, I like how it allows me to report reimbursements so that people can keep track of how much we are spending. It is also useful how abacus remembers locations and vendors once they are submitted.

What do you dislike?

I don'y like how I can't mass delete items, or create events to sort out purchases. It makes it more difficult for me to sort out through my receipts especially once I start massing them in the 100s. Having a simple way to delete them would make my life so much easier. Having a chat available between the organization users in abacus would allow me to talk to who is submitting their receipts and to clarify and questions about purchases.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would sit down with your teammates and talk about how using the software will get you towards your goals.

I am solving a clutter and reimbursement issue and I have realized that it would be beneficial to allow users to create events that other people can submit receipts to as as well.

Abacus review by Jeannie P.
Jeannie P.

"Director of Talent"

What do you like best?

Ease and flexibility of the app especially when in a startup, colleagues are constantly having to reimburse things. Just the comfort in knowing that the expense will be taken care of is great. It's also great that other team members or leads can approve the expenses because it is time consuming.

What do you dislike?

I dont know what triggers this, but sometimes the reimbursements take longer than expected. For larger purchases closer to $10k, these need to be paid out in a faster time period to the colleagues. Also, there are times, when coworkers might expense things too quickly, and theres no way to retract to expense except with them paying us back. I dont know if there is a simple revert button.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Revert button. Faster deposits into the bank. More alerts maybe to prompt leads to approve the expenses quicker.

We dont want to provide everyone with a corporate card so this reimbursement system has been great. It's also very time consuming to approve things but its something that has to get done. If there was someway that somethings were automated, that would be great.

Abacus review by Brandon C.
Brandon C.

"Great expense application. Best on the market"

What do you like best?

Abacus integrates with my bank account and credit card and pulls in all of my expenses. This makes logging expenses insanely easy on the go. What used to take me a long time now is a breeze. True game changer for the professional on the go.

What do you dislike?

Scanning receipts should be easier to do. Also, it gives me notifications on my iPhone and I have to manually swipe to "Skip" transactions in order to get rid of the notifications. Small frustrations, but all in all, still a great product.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Scope out your specific needs when evaluating software like Abacus. It may be a little pricier than most, but in our eyes, it's worth it.

We are solving the frustrating problem of logging our expenses when we travel for business. Our accounting team has strict rules of having expense reports due every Friday. In the past, it used to be very frustrating and would legitimately take me 1-2 hours. And, I'd have to hold onto every little receipt. I've realized a humongous time saving and an overall better experience with

Abacus review by Derek F.
Derek F.

"Abacus is simple and intuitive which makes the implementation and use easy. "

What do you like best?

As an admin, the ease with which I can switch between my admin page and my personal page is great. The ability to make edits as I approve is great too.

What do you dislike?

I accidentally uploaded a corporate cc expense receipt as a reimbursable and had to go through a rigmarole to correct outside of the system. Some control to verify a reimbursable before submitting for approval would have been helpful.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Some sort of workflow that identifies when an expense has been reconciled in Xero ahead of expense approval in Abacus. A two-way data flow could also be useful if expenses get recategorized after the fact so that Abacus reporting updates and matches Xero reporting exactly.

We are gaining control over our expense management and bookkeeping process. Prior to Abacus, there were a lot of inquiries being sent to team members for business purpose (AKA expense category) for their purchases. Huge efficiency gain here.

Abacus review by Lauren W.
Lauren W.

"Great, with a few software bugs."

What do you like best?

Customer support responds quickly; ability to get paid within just a couple days of when an expense is approved is wonderful for employees. UI is more intuitive than Expensify and you get paid a lot faster!

What do you dislike?

The overall web app is quite buggy. They definitely have some kinks to work out, as I've experienced several issues with syncing chart of accounts categories with Xero, having to refresh a page to see an update I made, ability to upload multiple receipts limited, PDF shows up as only 1 page when there are 4 pages, etc. Also, would be nice if Abacus automatically imported our Xero chart of accounts instead of having to manually type in every expense category and match it to the chart of accounts.

Would also be nice for foreign expenses to be able to upload two receipts - the credit card transaction as well as the actual receipt (not sure if Abacus currency converter is IRS compliant).

Paying $9/month/user is great for active users, but if an employee expenses only a coffee one month, this could be 200% more than the expense they are getting reimbursed for.

It is nice to know that in the event of an audit all of our receipts are there in Abacus. I can set parameters for when receipts are required. Very low admin work associated with Abacus. Much better than whatever else is on the market that I've experienced in past roles.

Abacus review by Annie A.
Annie A.

"Time saving OCR technology and QBO Integration"

What do you like best?

1. The OCR technology is great, so much time is saved by not having to match the receipt to the expense, and it even remembers repeating charges so you don't have to assign the category everytime.

2. Seamless QBO integration with accrual expense recognition.

3. Very customizable and easy to setup, I spent almost a month trying to setup something that would work for us with Concur and they weren't able to do it. I did it myself on Abacus in a few hours.

4. Customer service is very responsive and takes suggestions for new features, there have been multiple items I have suggested over the last year that they later implemented.

What do you dislike?

There is really nothing I dislike about the software.

1. Receipt management - can easily track and approve through their receipt view

2. Expense upload into QBO - Categories allow users to input information which later feeds into QBO accounts, rather than one accountant sifting through and categorizing everything.

3. Approval workflow

Abacus review by Britney B.
Britney B.

"Review Abacus, flawless reimbursement "

What do you like best?

Prior to using Abacus, my company use to use their own internal system to expense items. The turnaround time for employees to get reimbursed took anywhere from 3-5 weeks. I love that Abacus has a short turnaround time, and we're reimbursed instantly within days without having to wait for it to be added onto the next paycheck.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing that I dislike about this application. I have it right on my phone, can screenshot or take a picture of my receipts and upload it for my manager to approve. I haven't run into any issues thus far.

Recommendations to others considering the product

No recommendations. Abacus is flawless.

As mentioned prior, we're solving the business problem of shortening the turnaround reimbursement time. Working within a consulting intermediary, you often need to expense a lot. I don't work on the client side, but it's crucial for my colleagues to get paid out instantly so they don't need to foot the bill absurd amounts. We're shortening the turnaround time by using Abacus, and have realized it's a lot easier for employees to submit expenses and get paid out.

Abacus review by James D.
James D.

"Great Service for Startups!"

What do you like best?

Simplicity on both the user end and the finance/accounting end to make submitting expenses quick and easy with valid receipt backup. Also the controls with multiple approvers is a great feature that reduces need for communication between employees/departments.

What do you dislike?

I think there could be more controls around the amount submitted for expenses, e.g. it is very easy for employees to add an extra digit and submit a very large claim and then the claim has to be denied and re-submitted. If there was "are you sure?" you want to submit window that popped up when claims are submitted this could be helpful.

Recommendations to others considering the product

We evaluated Abacus versus expensify and decided that abacus is far superior and has satisfied all of our needs.

We have cut down significantly on expense processing time and therefore saved significant finance/accounting time. We have also solved the problem of employees sitting on expenses for long periods of time because they do not want to put together claims manually and submit.

Abacus review by Kathleen F.
Kathleen F.

"User friendly and efficient"

What do you like best?

Abacus is a great way to submit any kind of work related expense. In previous positions when submitting milage was a daunting task, I rarely did it, likely losing out on a great deal of money. I love how user friendly the interface is; both on the computer and on my phone.

What do you dislike?

Perhaps this is a result of how our company's account is set up specifically, but it would be great to be able to view total expenses in a specific category (we used to have this capability). It would also be nice if the "Merchant" field populated a little better; normally an error pops up saying a vendor can't be found, and then I have to override and enter a vendor free text.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Abacus is an easy and effective way to file expenses in various aspects of the job; professional development, travel, health budget, etc.

Great way to keep up on expenses; it's easy to let them pile up.

Abacus review by Angela C.
Angela C.

"Overall, very satisfied with Abacus and their customer service!"

What do you like best?

I enjoy the simplicity of the program. It's easy for people to use and even those who aren't as savvy can use the app successfully. They are constantly adding new features and making improvements that our team appreciates.

The app is very easy to use and quite convenient. Our employees generally enjoy the app and don't have many issues with it. This has been the easiest program to use out of all that we have tried.

Customer support is quick to answer any questions that we may have and always very personable. They have found solutions to any problems that we have come across and are pretty prompt in their response.

What do you dislike?

The only drawback I have with the program is that they dropped the processor that originally allowed us to integrate our specific company credit cards (Chase Ink). So every time I add an employee, they have to turn on a special feature that allows that specific card. They are very quick in this process, but that is a step I wish wasn't there.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for a easy-to-use program that anyone can use (even our 80 year-old employee), this is the solution for you.

This is simplifying our expense reporting process and allowing our employees to stay on top of their expenses.

Abacus review by Ross L.
Ross L.

"Abacus is easy, visible, and fully-functional"

What do you like best?

I'm only on the reporting side of expenses rather than the approval and reimbursing side, but from how I understand the product, I like the sharing, reviewing, and approval of expenses flow. As long as the approving agent is on his or her game, reimbursements turn around very quickly and the whole process is very visible to all parties involved.

What do you dislike?

I wish I could upload multiple receipt images/expenses at one time. From a single business trip, I could have as many as 6-9 expenses to report and filing them one-by-one might make less sense than being able to upload multiple.

Abacus is the best way we've found to aggregate, review, approve/deny, and reimburse expenses. We're a very small company (fewer than 50 employees) where everyone wears multiple hats. No one exactly takes the helm yet when it comes to expense analysis and careful spending management. Abacus helps our CFO/COO coordinate with payroll and also TriNet, our HR administrator, to log expense reports and reimbursements.

Abacus review by David C.
David C.

"Seamless Expense Management"

What do you like best?

I really like how simple it is to report and expense, upload a picture and don't worry about it until it gets approved.

What do you dislike?

Well, sometimes I forget about it and I feel like a shouldn't, either sometimes I forget about having to submit an expense or I forget to check to see if there is more information that I need to submit or as simple as if it got approved or not.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't think twice! Abacus is so simple to use that reporting an expense will be a thing of the past!

Well for me it has been mostly controlling the expenses around recruiting (taking a candidate for coffee, dinner, etc.) or expensing the costs of internal meetings (one on ones at coffee shops, etc.) In terms of benefits, I now don't hesitate in going the extra mile when recruiting or maintaining a good team culture because I know that expense reporting is very easy.

Abacus review by Ravi P.
Ravi P.

"Dead simple expensing software that every small business should look at."

What do you like best?

Easy to use, easy to setup. We started using a few years ago when they emailed us, and got it up and running in a few minutes. The auto-categorization of vendors into the right categories is nice.

Pricing structure is very attractive to small businesses - you only get charged if people are actually using it.

What do you dislike?

I've heard Expensify uses OCR / people to scan receipts, which I don't think Abacus does (I could be wrong). Would be a "nice-to-have" but Abacus still works great.

There are some "recurring" expenses that many employees have - would be nice to have reminders or auto-generate them or something. Again, not a big deal.

It's scaled with us well from 3 people when we started using it to 40+ people today. I've heard there are other solutions when you continue to grow that do a better job with things like travel that are starting to become bigger needs for our business. But we're still not quite there yet, so Abacus is great.

Abacus review by User in Staffing and Recruiting
User in Staffing and Recruiting

"So much more efficient than our previous expense tracking"

What do you like best?

I love the mobile app the best. Previously we had to scan and upload receipts and manually enter information into a form. Now I can literally take a photo of my receipt the moment I get it and submit through the app. It has made travel/meal expenses so much easier to manage because then I won't forget them before I get back home on on my normal routine.

I also really appreciate the very quick turnaround on expenses. Once an expense is approved, it is in my account within a few days instead of our old system that only paid out monthly.

What do you dislike?

There isn't a whole lot to dislike. Everything is pretty straightforward and so much better than our previous, manual process.

One thing that is a little challenging is that we require receipts for everything, but there are some expenses that are recurring monthly expenses from a single annual contract. I have one specific vendor that doesn't send monthly receipts so I have to re-upload the same contract every month, which is a little annoying. I'm not sure if that is an Abacus issue or if I should be annoyed that the vendor can't send monthly receipts.

There are fewer questions about what our expense policies are thanks to the blocking rules. If I enter something that violates a policy, it tells me and I can adjust right away. It is also nice that any feedback from our internal team is shared directly in the system and is associated with the specific expense.

Abacus review by User in Commercial Real Estate
User in Commercial Real Estate

"Easy to use!"

What do you like best?

I like abacus' mobile app a lot. It makes it easy to record expenses on the go. I also like that you can email receipts and to an abacus address and it will automatically store that receipt on the abacus website for you to use. This saves me a lot of time and it also helps me manage receipts when I receive them via email. I also like that it's very easy to set up as a first time user.

What do you dislike?

Can't send expenses without having service and I wish abacus could start to fill in some of the information like category when i enter in similar expenses. Other thank that, I think the app is pretty smart.

Easy to send expenses in real time. I get my expenses approved and reimbursed much faster now. It used to take me a very long time to get expenses approved at previous companies. I also really like the attendees/participants feature where I can tag others that participated in the expense with me. There is also full visibility into who has approved your expense which just gives me confidence of the stakeholders in the process.

"Great User Experience"

What do you like best?

The web and mobile platform are both easy to navigate and use. Automated invoice matching and expense generation for both expense reimbursements and credit card reconciliations make transactions easy to audit.

What do you dislike?

The back end is not very customizable and reporting doesn't work too well. We aren't able to get GL account codes in reports that we generate even though it exists in the back end and the integration to Netsuite is not great. Additionally, Managers approving employee reimbursements can't access historical transactions they've approved. All the data is available but they have some work to do for admins and Managers to use them.

Expedited our turn around for expense reimbursements and easier visibility for corporate credit card holders to their transactions.

Abacus review by Marlie S.
Marlie S.

"Live Updates Make Life Easy"

What do you like best?

I love that you can update your expenses live or in real time. I always hate saving receipts and used to be frantic when traveling that I would lose them. However, with the ability to take pictures of the receipts and upload instantly, it makes it much easier! The technical support far exceeds other software programs that I have used for the same purpose.

What do you dislike?

I do feel that the look and feel of the UI is a little outdated and could use a bit of a "facelift." It would also be great to customize the file prior to exporting to allow for a better data output based upon what the individual user needs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You definitely need to give it a go! Also, set up all feature (credit cards, etc.) prior to going live for employees.

The benefit of Abacus is TIME. You save so much time by live updating of expenses and receipt uploading. You save time with the ability to see expenses quickly and easily. It's not difficult to set up and it's so easy to use that you don't even have to think about it!

Abacus review by jennie p.
jennie p.

"So easy to use, love it!"

What do you like best?

I like the app on my phone. I use it all the time for the tracking and reimbursement of purchases I make for work. I take a picture of receipts for business expenses at the cash register and immediately open up Abacus and start my reimbursement process. I also really like the email notification that abacus purchases have been approved.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the amount of time it takes to get money back into my personal bank account. I understand that both my supervisor and her supervisor both need to approve an expense before releasing funds are released.

I am tracking how much money is spent purchasing ingredients for several early childhood cooking classes. Children are exposed to nutritious and delicious food at an early age, creating a desire to eat a variety of fruits and vegetables that will last a lifetime.

Abacus review by Katharina C.
Katharina C.

"Making expenses a breeze"

What do you like best?

Previously our company had used complicated systems for filing expenses that often left me wondering what the next step was in even saving a receipt. Abacus is intuitive and the format is simple. There's no getting lost along the way or wondering if your expense is inputted properly. Click and drag format makes submitting expenses super simple and the handy email notifications that they've been approved are great as well.

What do you dislike?

Honestly, I currently have no qualms with the product. The app is great and every interaction I've had with it has been seamless.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Download the mobile app and make your expenses even simpler!

No expenses go unpaid! The dashboard allows me to view any past expenses and that checkmark clearly denotes that they've been approved and paid off. I don't find myself questioning it or wondering about anything.

Abacus review by Ryan M.
Ryan M.

"The PERFECT way to manage expenses"

What do you like best?

Abacus makes expenses SO a much easier. I can literally take a picture of my receipt, upload one, or grab a line item from my credit card and I'm on my way. No spreadsheets, no hassle.

What do you dislike?

Honestly, I haven't found anything that I dislike about it yet. It has truly been a great experience.

From a finance stand point, you cut down immensely on turn around, which saves you a lost of pestering from the employee awaiting reimbursement. From a user stand point, I can actually have the money in my account, well before my credit card is due - which is awesome.

Abacus review by Tiffany J H.
Tiffany J H.

"Serious advancement in expense process"

What do you like best?

The best part is taking photos in the app that automatically fill in amount, vendor, etc. Second most favorite is the link with my credit card so I know what items need to be filed. It's really a huge step in what not that long ago was storing, cataloging and stapling hundreds of little receipts to expense forms.

What do you dislike?

Nothing really. There have been some bugs, but the company has been really responsive in resolving them. I wish my boss approved my expenses faster....

Recommendations to others considering the product

Link your bank account and credit cards. Take photos of receipts in the app as soon as you get them - then you can just throw them away!

Everything about expense reporting has been simplified - however Im not approving anyone or dealing with reports so I can't speak for managers or accounting.

Abacus review by Hannah G.
Hannah G.

"Abacus App - Simple and Fast"

What do you like best?

I love the mobile app, where I can submit receipts via photo. I also love that it processes reimbursement faster than our old method where you had to wait for the paycheck.

What do you dislike?

I can't say I dislike anything in particular - it's easy to use and very streamlined.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Download the app! It makes everything easier.

Making it easier to reimburse for business expenses such as interview lunches, cell phone bills, and LinkedIn expenses. It's a huge benefit to be able to do this in a simple 2-3 click process.

Abacus review by Patrick G.
Patrick G.

"I travel constantly and the Abacus App keeps me from falling behind"

What do you like best?

Love the time I get back and bot having to carry a a rubber-band bound pile of receipts around in my suitcase. I have been using it for five months and I can already say I have forgotten what it was even like to do expenses before Abacus.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the receipt does not automatically match even if their is an expense already in there. but it does pretty well and OCR is a moving target.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it for yourself, you won't miss your old expense reports.

Time. Time. Time.

I travel four to five days a week and without the ability to snap a quick photo and let the app do the heavy lifting to assign it to my corp card expenses? I would be spending my Saturdays playing catch up on expense reports.

Abacus review by User in Arts and Crafts
User in Arts and Crafts

"Real-time expenses"

What do you like best?

I find that the real-time nature of Abacus makes it quite helpful for when I am trying to work on the expenses that occur day to day and figuring out the budget.

What do you dislike?

Having to set up the rules for what expenses go where is a bother, however, it is a needed bother. Once setup is done, it does the work.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If one wants to be more organized with their expenses and their budget in general, this is a good program to use. It keeps track of paperwork without the need of keeping receipts, just taking a picture and jotting down a quick note about what was in the receipt and then the program compiles it, making it ready to send.

It makes it easier to figure out where the spending goes for the budget. Knowing this makes it easier to figure out adjustments for the budget. It makes it much easier to keep things organized in order to to submit the expense report.

Abacus review by User in Marketing and Advertising

"great invetion"

What do you like best?

It's quick, simple, and helpful. . Having Abacus handle my bank exchanges implies I don't need to consider it With coordinate endorsement and direct store The application is extremely extraordinary in light of the fact that I can take photos of my receipts on the fly and not need to spare them and enter them all at onceTheir presentation messages answer your inquiries previously you even have an opportunity to ask them! For us, Abacus was the ideal decision as it offered us both a straightforward and down to earth cost stage to begin with and additionally an innovation we will have the capacity to utilize advancing and incorporate with our bookkeeping programming as our business delegates turn out to be more mindful of the item. (Which isn't excessively intense! Its amazingly easy to utilize!) Pricing is at an incredible point too. In any case, if a client does not present a cost they won't pay for that month! I would not confide in the individuals who offer "free cost programming." Those at Abacus are experts, pass on, no uncertainty.

What do you dislike?

I get the feeling that the designers are as yet working out a few crimps in the web and versatile applications my costs are reliably for a similar office and save money on the 3 sec to render each time I would just need to tap "Occasion gathering" and it fills in all the sub-classifications, that may be cool.I truly have few cons for the product. I figure it is decent to see more instructional recordings that we could impart to our business group with the goal that we didn't need to disclose the product to them. That being stated, the product is natural and we had couple of issues helping everybody get up to speed. All things considered, there is little to grumble about considering how much blast you get for your buck.

Recommendations to others considering the product

understanding your consumptions at scale is significant to progress and Abacus guarantees this is a simple and adaptable process for all included Additionally, in light of the fact that the greater part of the costs must be ordered it is anything but difficult to see where the most astounding uses are going on.This product immensely enables the bookkeeping to group at our Firm. It likewise helps the clients who are required to submit corporate costs. The classes and customization fields enable this item to be to a great degree valuable.

Deals Pipeline Data Analysis - seeing how costs correspond with deals objectives for every specialty unit and their individual employees.The significant advantage is season of logging and announcing and convenience.

"Great tool!"

What do you like best?

The ease of setup and daily use is wonderful. In our previous system the connection to my bank took longer and was not clear, with Abacus the set up was intuitive and the UI makes it easy to navigate each time I use the product.

What do you dislike?

Clarity on approval steps - we have a 2 part approval process for expenses (first the manager, then finance). The second step is not clear, so each time I approve an expense for the first time my employees will ask about the status of their reimbursement.

We use Abacus for employee reimbursements for expenses. This is a really streamlined process with Abacus and I love the slack integration, letting me know when someone from my team has submitted an expense and allowing me to quickly approve or deny in my daily workflow.

Abacus review by Claire C.
Claire C.

"Claire's Asbacus Review"

What do you like best?

I like that it finds transactions automatically when you've linked a card.

What do you dislike?

It was difficult to expense something that I knew was over budget. At my company, we can expense up to $35 (I think?) for gym reimbursement. My current gym charges $49 1x/year for maintenance, and I would have liked to at least be able to expense the first $35 of it. Our old software (Harvest) we could manually input an expense and attach a receipt. So even though the receipt read $49, I could input $35 to be reimbursed. This seems difficult in Abacus to do. Likewise, iTunes receipts come in in weekly chunks on my card, so it's difficult to pull out only a fraction of that bill.

Occasional reimbursements. I haven't had any huge realizations since using Abacus.

Abacus review by Folashade A.
Folashade A.

"Moved us from the past to the present."

What do you like best?

Abacus changed the way we recorded and managed our teams expenses.In the past,we had to do this manually by recording on spreadsheet.Need I say we had issues with accuracy as team members doing recording on this spreadsheets were bound to make mistakes.Abacus saved us the need to spend hours reconciling details, finding errors,reconciling receipts and then update on our accounting software .Its straight-forward and brought us to the way things are done in 2017 - fast.

Also,makes approving payments for expenses easier since we are able to integrate it with our credit card for easy payment.

What do you dislike?

The user interface of this software is difficult to navigate around.

Abacus has enabled us better track and manage our expenses in a more efficient manner.

Abacus review by Laura L.
Laura L.

"Making expensing transactions easy again!"

What do you like best?

We use Abacus for our corporate card transactions. Even though we have a small team, every small purchase that is made by people on our department is logged and it can be cumbersome to muddle through the purchases to expense. Abacus' UI is clean, user-friendly, and it's easy to find what you need.

What do you dislike?

The site underwent an update recently so the tab to expense items wasn't as intuitive to find as it was previously. Would have liked a pop up that gave a quick run down of the updates and where to find things.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're looking for a site with a cleaner look that is easy to use, Abacus is it. I haven't had to reach out to customer service yet because I haven't had any issues. If that isn't proof positive of how easy it is to use, I don't know what is!

We're solving the problem of inefficiency when it comes to expensing things on a corporate card. It's previously been a very cumbersome task but Abacus makes it easy!

Abacus review by Jacob G.
Jacob G.

"Very user-friendly interface and easy to use!"

What do you like best?

The interface of Abacus is very modern, concise and user-friendly. Also it worked like charm to find the restaurants etc. for my expenses.

What do you dislike?

Just a suggestion I have: maybe it's great to add functionality to recognize the digits in the receipts for auto-filling the money spent in expenses.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think every company should strongly consider Abacus for reimbursement solutions.

I used Abacus for my travel reimbursement and I liked how the items were clearly listed and how the workflow was displayed.

Abacus review by Renee F.
Renee F.

"Abacus is great! "

What do you like best?

Very positive. Each time Abacus makes updates, it makes it easier to use. I never keep receipts anymore.

What do you dislike?

The tagging of companies/services is still a little wonky. But nothing that would deter me from using the service. More that if I put in 'uber' before, then it doesn't recognize the new 'uber' company where the tags would be more intuitive.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Love it. Take pics of your receipts at the register/counter and as soon as you get the email, so you are never tracking things down. I love that I never keep receipts anymore.

I travel for work less and less, so I don't use it as often, but mostly the ability to get reimbursed quickly is great. We also can store/categorize for accounting much easier.

Abacus review by Joe P.
Joe P.

"Abacus Rocks!"

What do you like best?

Its super simple to manager our employee expenses and reimbursements. I'm able to approve expenses on the fly and ask questions about them where necessary. I especially like the ability to approve multiple expenses at a time. There are some employees I know I need to go through each of their expenses and verify their validity, where others I know have provided accurate information so I can approve theirs quickly.

What do you dislike?

I wish it would remind me more frequently of outstanding employee expenses.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you setup your expense hierarchy correctly and keep it up to date.

We have streamlined our entire expense process. We have a tons of employees traveling. Rather than issuing company cards we've been able to manage expenses easily due to abacus.

Abacus review by Frida  O.
Frida O.

"Abacus review "

What do you like best?

It is a great way to keep me well organized with the companies money. It helps me automate how I reimburse employees. It also has a real-time expense reporting which I think is pretty need.

What do you dislike?

There isn't anything to dislike personally. I know there were some internal problems with this system but obviously, some tools don't work for everyone.

Organizing, helps accounting team manage money better, keeps employees happy due to the very easy system. We had a very challenging time reimbursing employees in the office at times and this would not only help us but the employees keep track of what needed to be reimbursed.

Abacus review by User in Information Services
User in Information Services

"Abacus - A Web Developer's Perspective"

What do you like best?

Abacus takes the pain out of expense reporting. Though the interface has evolved over time it's so simple that anyone can use it. I also appreciate that it's built on Angular.js and I believe a node.js backend which allows for asynchronous and fast interface feedback.

What do you dislike?

There was a bug at one point which showed me someone else's expenses. I reported it to their dev team and they were able to fix it right away.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Abacus makes expense reporting a breeze. It's front-end/back-end technology is state of the art so it's way faster than a traditional web application built on something like .ASP, PHP of CFM. I'm a front end web developer in my day job and I can tell you the interface feedback, clarity and organization of the app and overall user experience is top notch.

The benefits are simple. No one likes taking time out of their day to do expense reporting. Abacus speeds that process up considerably. The interface is clean, and I'm able to see what expenses are pending vs. expenses that are already cleared. The benefit from a user standpoint is that it adds an element of organization to a process that is typically disorganized. Normally I'd submit receipt via email to my expense department or via a very slow online interface. This process is so barebones and the number hoops I'm required to jump through almost mitigate the purpose of submitting an expense at all. I'm sure that since using Abacus I've found myself remembering to submit expenses I might normally forget. Because I can see past submitted expenses very clearly, I never run the risk of submitting duplicate expenses. Also if I've forgotten to attach a receipt, I'm provided visual feedback so that I can correct the problem prior to submission.

"Expenses made easy!"

What do you like best?

I love how user-friendly this website is. It is so easy to upload photos and submit my expense report. It is actually kinda fun and I never mind doing it whereas my other companies was such a PAIN that too way too long.

What do you dislike?

No problems yet! I have loved all aspects of this app

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend all companies use this app and website. It is the best I have seen so far and is very easy to use in all aspects.

Easy access when it is approved and easy to drag photos to it. The categories are also very easy to pick from. I love everything about this website and the app is very helpful as well

Abacus review by Administrator

"An actual advancement for expense management!"

What do you like best?

"Real-time" expense management is awesome. I can't believe it isn't more widespread. It just makes so much more sense than separate reports, which are very much based on an outdated paradigm.

What do you dislike?

Unfortunately, the product did not sync correctly with my company's corporate card.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have a system that works for you and has been in place for a long time, I'm not sure it's worth the switch. But if you're tired of driving yourself crazy getting those expenses in on time, this could be what you're looking for. Abacus has great features and a really interesting setup. If you see it in action, I think you could see if it'll be a fit for your company.

Getting people to submit expense reports is like pulling teeth. WIth Abacus, they don't have to submit a full, finalized report - they can do their expenses when they have time and fully get them off their plate and out of sight. Being able to eat away at your list like that is a great feeling!

Abacus review by Korey C.
Korey C.

"Fantastic"

What do you like best?

How easy it is to use the app on the go and how fast the process is to get our expenses back. Our previous system would take months to get to us so it's helpful that it can be in my bank account in a matter of weeks instead. The app is really great because I can just take pictures of my receipts on the go and not have to save them and input them all at once.

What do you dislike?

Occasionally there are issues integrating with our accounting system where you will select a reason for the expense and a new line will not populate until after you try to save it. Also, the credit card system isn't very helpful given how many purchases I have, I just have a ton of notifications and can't sift through them.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The bank sync is a bit of a pain because I have so many other charges that aren't work related.

Concur was our previous tool that we used for expenses. As soon as we made the shift to Abacus the transition was night and day. We get our expenses faster due to the integration with our finance team and the tool is way more intuitive. We no longer have to hang onto receipts because we can just take an image and upload it immediately. I know that there can be a challenge when our manager gets pinged every time they have to approve an expense. That being said, I still hear that the expense process is still easier than concur was.

Abacus review by Emily W.
Emily W.

"Abacus makes things so easy"

What do you like best?

I love how Abacus will let you pull transactions from your credit card history and expense those.

What do you dislike?

The credit card transactions took a while to appear in the Abacus app. I totally understand that there's a time delay for pending transactions, but it just worried me a little when I didn't see my monetary activity in the app until 2-3 days afterwards.

Abacus allows me to expense costs when I travel easily. I don't have to worry about keeping receipts which is so nice!

Abacus review by Lauren O.
Lauren O.

"Great Expense Reimbursement Solution!"

What do you like best?

I love the mobile application - it makes keeping on top of expenses while on the road way more manageable.

What do you dislike?

Tags need to be manually updated by admins (which creates bottlenecks sometimes).

Recommendations to others considering the product

You should look into it, especially if you don't have another software like it! My only recommendations is to provide a good flow of work to ensure tags, attendees, etc. are up to date for users like me.

We used to have a very google-doc-esque, manual way of keeping track of expense reimbursement. Not only does this hold employees accountable, it also helps me ensure I'm staying on top of my expenses so that I'm reimbursed in a timely manner. This process never existed at our small company before Abacus!

Abacus review by Michael M.
Michael M.

"Abacus is a Serviceable Expense Platform "

What do you like best?

The fact that I can email my receipts to abacus and quickly expense things. This make it super easy and convenient.

What do you dislike?

Attaching an image to the expense by dragging the file in the file area seems to be very buggy. Sometimes it works, other times it doesn't, and the user is forced to click "Upload file" and select it on their computer.

I haven't used any other expense software, so I can't say that there are benefits to Abacus versus other products. The benefits of using this software versus expensing something without expense software? I don't really know because I have only used Abacus for the entirety of my career. The problem I'm solving is making expenses easier to submit and manage.

Abacus review by Eric Robert S.
Eric Robert S.

"Great product, worth the price!"

What do you like best?

With easy integration into our Quickbooks platform and a short onboarding process, Abacus comes true on fulfilling it's promise to cut down on the time required managing expense reports. I especially love the automatic billing that only charges for a user if they were active in the last month - truly a standout feature.

What do you dislike?

The reporting features have come a long way since they first launched, and there's still a lot of room for improvement. Fortunately, all of the basics are there and it's easy to access them.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're still using excel for your expense reporting, switching to Abacus is a no-brainer.

Expense reporting for everyone in our company is quicker, and more accurate than ever before. Worth every dollar spent.

Abacus review by Kevin B.
Kevin B.

"Expenses will never be fun, but Abacus makes them less painful. "

What do you like best?

Tech forward company built on integrations and APIs so you can use in a distributed fashion. Love their integration with Slack and Xero. App is great for receipt photos.

What do you dislike?

APIs can still be buggy and result in a good deal of customer service emails. The good news there is that their service team is excellent. Also some basic functions, like assigning business categories to specific recurring expenses, are still in the pipeline.

Make expense reporting easier for our growing start-up. We are a mix of a professional services and VC firm so lots of expensing is done back to accounts. It's important to have a solution that employees will use as expense reporting is a key part of our business ops.

Abacus review by Grace H.
Grace H.

"Abacus user review"

What do you like best?

It really simplifies expenses. I like how easy it is to use. Being able to upload a pic of my receipt for verification is nice. I used to have to keep receipts and turn each one in, but now I just snap a pic of them on my phone and immediately upload them to the app.

What do you dislike?

I don't use the tool a ton, so I do not have any dislikes right now. Maybe as I continue to use it?

This helps to simplify expense logging IMMENSELY! I love that it can be instant instead of waiting until after travel or an event to log everything. The app makes it really easy to remember and stay on top of it in real time.

Abacus review by Arturo C.
Arturo C.

"User friendly and very convenient"

What do you like best?

I like that it separates my credit and personal expenses. It is user-friendly for both the employer and employee. I like that Abacus notifies you on approvals as well as the employer comments.

What do you dislike?

there isnt much i didnt like about abacus. in terms of other apps, this one has it down to a Tee. The receipts can be tricky at time uploading. Also the mobile app is a bit more limited on more challenging to use compared to the website.

I am in Sales, so my job is to expense everything once im on the road. The benefits of having abacus is that everything is tracked, and I know exactly what is owed to me. The receipts are crucial too.

Abacus review by Kristopher H.
Kristopher H.

"Abacus made business travel easy!"

What do you like best?

I dreaded doing expense reports previously and always had to wait to get a reimbursement check. Abacus simplified both.

What do you dislike?

It could be better to be able to customize the type of expense more. I'm not sure if this is something that my company has control over or not

Recommendations to others considering the product

I love that location services works very well to interpret the vendor. I have never had success with emailing to receipts@abacus.com

Our excel documents and scanning receipts was difficult and time consuming. I never carry another receipt, I do it immediately.

Abacus review by User in Marketing and Advertising

"Easy to use to submit expenses"

What do you like best?

This program makes it very easy to take & upload photos of receipts, or drag & drop confirmations to submit for expenses. Gone are the days of having to tape receipts to pieces of paper and scan them, hoping everything came through okay.

What do you dislike?

I have not yet used the feature where you can connect your card's purchases to Abacus, because I only travel once per quarter and use my personal card. I imagine it would be perfect for frequent travelers or those with a corporate card. But it would be nice if there was something similar but for infrequent travelers so you didn't have to sort through ALL purchases on a card.

Submitting expenses in a timely manner and having them approved and reimbursed very quickly.

Abacus review by Martin W.
Martin W.

"Makes expense reporting as painless as it could possibly be"

What do you like best?

It's so much easier to take photos of receipts and upload them, compared to balancing a collection of receipts on a copier or scanner, then having to parse them out. I like how it clearly indicates the status of expenses, and flags any issues immediately so you can correct them right away. And, of course, the automatic direct deposit is great.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the click target for uploading images can be tricky to locate. I also wish there was a way for individual users to generate reports for their own accounts, much like admins can do for any account.

As a company that travels to many conferences throughout the year, Abacus has really helped streamline the expense process for us.

Abacus review by Christopher K.
Christopher K.

"Abacus simplifies employee expenses"

What do you like best?

A simple user experience is at the core of Abacus' product. I makes a complex task simple for both employee & administrator. I've been pleasantly surprised by process of submitting my expenses, being approved by manager & administrator, and then paid out on a timely schedule.

What do you dislike?

Not too much i'd alter really. Perhaps as I use the product more. Maybe more explicit dates for when payouts will be sent?

Bulk distribution of employee expenses. We have a complex setup of distributing payouts for employees across the globe.

Abacus review by Eric B.
Eric B.

"Super slick and easy to submit + track expenses"

What do you like best?

As an end user, it's super intuitive and simple to log and track expenses on the go as soon as the charges are incurred. Additionally, it's easy to add other to split bills.

What do you dislike?

There is really nothing to dislike - I've only used a couple different expense systems, and Abacus has been so simple to use.

Spending minimal time logging expenses for reimbursement.

Abacus review by Administrator

"Our non-profit chose Abacus over Expensify and have been very happy with it"

What do you like best?

It's very cleanly designed and easy to use. The phone app is great. We are an all-female organization, and chose this product over Expensify or other services because we researched the companies and found Abacus to be a company that is aligned with our values and doesn't have executives who have exhibited anti-woman behavior or other history that we do not want to support. They are basically free for our non-profit as well, based on our low volume of use.

What do you dislike?

I've heard concerns about it from others but I don't remember them (maybe it was about questions on integration with Quickbooks?). I personally have no dislikes about Abacus.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The switchover was very easy for us, basically a matter of communication and getting everyone on board. When we first started, we invited everyone in our organization whether they needed to submit expenses or not, just to push the switchover. Now we invite people on an as needed basis.

We used to have to attend email and cut checks using bill pay in our bank account, and then save the receipts into a Dropbox folder using a naming convention. It was a manual process and the payment turnaround time was much longer. since we are volunteer run Now, members can submit their receipts with their phone, and we can just login and review and press a button. They get paid quickly, we save work. Our accountant can get the receipts directly from Abacus so we don't worry about them anymore. It makes looking through expenses much easier (than in a folder), and It's nice that it integrates with Xero as well.

Abacus review by Nathan B.
Nathan B.

"Good system, almost awesome"

What do you like best?

Quick and easy to take a picture of receipts and then add them to an expense report

What do you dislike?

Connection to credit card takes too long and is too noisy. App notifications stay visible for days after you try to clear them.

Renaming a transaction that comes through with bad data (e.g. "[Transaction Info Not Received]") renames all similar transactions. This is great for real transactions but is awful for bad transactions.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure to contact support when you have issues. In my experience the issues get resolved much faster if you are diligent (biligerent?) about reporting them. Screenshots do wonders.

Expensing business purposes. This is one of the better systems I've used. Very quick and simple.

Abacus review by Jennifer P.
Jennifer P.

"Easy to use expense software "

What do you like best?

It is very easy to use. When I have an expense I go in, drag and drop my receipt and it is pretty much done.

What do you dislike?

I wish there was a way to do multiple receipts in one expense, like with Expensify. also it would be nice if when you drag and drop your receipt in the fields auto populate with the vendor, etc.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Look into others to see if Abacus is what you need, it was enough for us.

having it integrate in with other systems would be nice to provide more automation for accounting. We are signing up for Zenefits and heard that it integrated in with them, and we are excited by that.

Abacus review by Barry H.
Barry H.

"Abacus is very user friendly. It is a very simple and productive tool to use. "

What do you like best?

I like that I am able to have the app any where. I am able to check the status of my expenses anywhere I go. I also like that I don't have to fill out any physical paper to complete this task. Make the expense process so much smoother.

What do you dislike?

I truthfully can't say there is anything I dislike about it. Give me a little more time, I am sure I can find something.

This app provides faster response time. Because we were using an excel sheet before. So the time i took from creating your expense report to the time your money was reimbursed took a while. Abacus has cut that time in half.

Abacus review by Chris G.
Chris G.

"It's really that easy"

What do you like best?

The submission process is easy. They best part is the support team will work to implement your idea. Seen it happen many times!

What do you dislike?

I'd like more hotkey additions. Pressing escape would make the process even easier. Honestly, there just isn't a ton left I'd like to see added.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for a super easy expense platform, you should go with Abacus. It's quite simply the most comprehensive and easy to use system out there. We use it in our company and switched to it over the course testing many different solutions.

I use this for mileage and every day expenses at work. Seems like we get our reimbursements immediately upon approval.

"Easy to use!"

What do you like best?

Ease of access to all types of submissions. I typically use the app on my iPhone, and find how incredibly convenient it is for me to snap a picture of my receipt, and upload it on Abacus to be reviewed by the finance team of my company.

What do you dislike?

Background. would help if there is night mode. Of course, this is only a personal preference but for someone who has sensitivity to light, especially with Abacus' bright user interface - with its white background. It would help to have a night mode or an 'Owl' mode where majority for of the interface are dark-colored.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Yes, this is very useful for companies that offer reimbursement on all things that are applicable to what they offer.

Benefits have been that I am able to upload an image on the go, especially when I receive a receipt from a purchase. This will then be uploaded onto Abacus app through a form of an image, which will then be reviewed by the finance team of our company. Once reviewed, and approved -- a refund will be issued. I'm really impressed by how this app has helped make things easier for someone like me who is always on the go.

Abacus review by Abby W.
Abby W.

"Good, simple, user friendly reimbursement and expense tracking"

What do you like best?

The UI for expense tracking is super easy to use and the mobile app was awesome. At first I didn't like that you couldn't batch and send items all together, but it ended up really nice b/c I got reimbursed very fast. The photo tool for receipts was very easy and helpful, and the reimbursement was incredibly fast. I had the money in my account within days of submitting.

What do you dislike?

I think you should be able to input expenses without them automatically sending for approval. You should be able to just input them all throughout your trip, then review/edit them before batch sending

Ability to track expenses and receipts as well as get reimbursed.

"Abacus is great"

What do you like best?

Super easy to use and the UI looks great. Easy to figure out how everything is organized for the most part. Also, it's great to receive the reimbursement so quickly. Set-up was easy, and the reimbursement process was well explained. It's good to know that there are security measures in place to make sure that money is transferred responsibly.

What do you dislike?

the "upload receipt" thing is kind of confusing. Seems redundant. Either way, I wish it were possible to upload more than one photo at a time. Also, since receipts typically have very small type, it can be hard to tell from the thumbnail which images should be uploaded. If the photos can be enlarged before submitting the upload, that would help.

When creating a new expense, it would be great to be able to enlarge the picture for reference so that the cost can be input. Currently, i have to switch to my photos app, check the number, and then switch back.

Getting reimbursements quickly and without having to keep all receipts. It it is super helpful to be able to snap pictures of receipts on the go and not have to worry about keeping and organizing all of the paper and electronic records.

"Overall good experience"

What do you like best?

The app is super simple to use! I like how Abacus doesn't try to do too much. Instead it does expensing simply. It does a little bit very well - which makes it so successful. I love the large fields, the fonts, the simplicity of adding in a receipt pic, tagging the expense, and submitting it.

What do you dislike?

This is a tough question because I love mostly everything. The only feature that might be helpful would be the ability to add a date by which you want the reviewer to approve it by. If I have a very large expense I want to let my manager know that I'd need it approved by a certain date in order to manage my own personal finances.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Abacus is super simple. I would highly recommend it to any company big or small. I haven't seen anything comparable. I hope Abacus always stays this simple and doesn't get feature overloaded. It's working great just as it is.

This expense application has made things extremely easy since we started using it. We used to have to submit a form and get a paper check back. Now we do it on our app right at the moment we get our receipt and then it gets direct deposited. It's made it easier for me to not lose receipts and to get expenses repaid faster.

Abacus review by User in Hospital & Health Care

"Simple and Easy Corporate Reimbursements"

What do you like best?

The platform is super simple. Just forward a receipt or link a credit card and it pre-populates everything for you. You then link your bank account and reimbursements are automatically processed.

My favorite products are often those that feel like they're transparent to the process you're trying to improve. Abacus is definitely one of those.

What do you dislike?

It can take some time to process emailed receipts, but it's not that back because they give you a notification when it's ready. Other than that, the system is pretty smooth. One other suggestion would be for it to send reminders for cards that may be expired that are linked to your account as I don't think that's been implemented yet.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Linking credit cards isn't a requirement if you're worried about the security. The feature to forward receipts is super easy and it's even easier to just upload them directly to the site if you already have a digital copy. Linking a bank account is essential though.

Our goal is to simplify the reimbursement process. Specifically, we're a company where we need to move fast and don't want purchasing procedures and policies to be a blocker to getting decisions implemented. We also didn't have a formal purchasing department at the time when we got Abacus setup so it's been perfect since now people can make the small purchases necessary without worry of how or when they'll get reimbursed.

"Abacus - User Review"

What do you like best?

Abacus makes it easy for me to request reimbursement for work-related expenses. Everything is uploaded to a single place online, easy to track, and quickly handled. Because it is tied to my bank account, I had direct deposit reimbursement in less than a week.

What do you dislike?

While requesting reimbursement, it was unclear how my purchase should be categorized. I am not sure if this is a limitation of the program or poor implementation by my company, but my request ended up being re-categorized because it fell into two categories and it was unclear which it should be listed as.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is an excellent program that makes business expenses easier to manage.

Abacus makes getting reimbursed easy. I can quickly access my request and see its status, so it reduces excess communication regarding whether my request was received or when I can expect it. With Abacus, I am paid back more quickly than I would be with a more traditional expense system.

Abacus review by User in Internet

"Works for what we need it to - but has some flaws"

What do you like best?

I like that Abacus's web and mobile app are both relatively easy to use. Clean and simple design with intuitive features that make expensing items a breeze. Connecting a card has helped me remember what exactly I need to expense by just clicking a button and dragging over the receipt file to complete the expense. I also appreciate the email notifications to remind me to submit expenses, when expenses have been approved, and when the money transfer has begun.

What do you dislike?

I find the mobile app to be a lot easier to use than on the web. Drop downs are easier to find and there is less digging to look for the category you need. Most recently, we've had a ton of issues with duplicated expenses where items came in 2 or 3 times when in reality the charge only happened once. This created a bit of confusion with our CFO - in fear that our Amex's had been compromised. The problem was solved within a few weeks and we haven't seen any problems since.

We are using Abacus to keep track of our employees' personal expenses as well as corporate credit card expenditures. We give monthly deadlines for employees to submit their travel/meal expenses so that all numbers can be accounted for monthly. The benefits are staying on top of our various budgets with a one-stop-shop to get the expense information we need, when we need it.

Abacus review by Jonathan T.
Jonathan T.

"It works...I wish MY money would come faster."

What do you like best?

I like the quick expense categories that make it easy to expense things according to how the company organizes its budget. It works and is easy to pick up for a new user. I also like the logo. It's very simple. I also like the fact that you may upload receipts and they would be approved instantly.

What do you dislike?

I do not enjoy the fact that it takes a very very long time for my money to come through into my bank account. It seems that over a week being processed is a extremely long time to get my money that I spent back into my account. If Venmo can do it in three days, why can't Abacus? I just don't get it sometimes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think there are definitely better options out there.

I can see the benefits in having a expense budgeting system that lets us track things that are being spent throughout the company.

Abacus review by User in Internet

"Quick & Simple Expense Submission"

What do you like best?

Overall Abacus is quick and easy to use. Mobile app is great and I can submit expenses in less than 20 seconds which makes it easy for me to keep track. I also like they show when expenses have been approved and give me an estimate of when my bank transfer will be completed.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes Abacus messes up my per diem caps and flags expenses incorrectly as exceeding budget. I'm not sure why but this happens maybe 5% of the time. I also wish there was a way to see expenses sorted by date as I sometimes submit out of order and then it's hard to recall whether I've filed everything for a given date. The credit card sync feature is nice but the lag is too long in my opinion (often 3-5 days from making transaction to showing up in Abacus), and I like to file my expenses as soon as possible.

Expense tracking and submission. Very easy to use

Abacus review by User in Computer Software

"Abacus is an easy way to keep track of business expenses"

What do you like best?

It pulls in all my credit card transactions so I dont have to hunt around for info.

What do you dislike?

it used to be confusing how to upload a picture but recently i havent had issues. Maybe the app updated a little? I also like to wait for the transaction to go through my CC so I can make sure i upload the correct data and sometimes that takes a day or two to update in the app. by then i have forgotten about it so my expenses come in late.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I really like it and its easy to use with your own CC. I know from other people who deal with expensing software it can be really clunky or an intraweb type process. This is super simple and easier to manage multiple cards/accounts with.

I like that its all contained on my phone so i can do my expenses on the train, right when im thinking about it.

Abacus review by User

"Useful but needs some improvement"

What do you like best?

It does what it needs to do. You can submit multiple expenses at a time and clearly see the status of each one. Updating your information and navigating through the site is easy to use and straight forward.

What do you dislike?

1) It usually takes up to the full 10 business days (2 weeks) for the money to be deposited into my account. It would also be nice to have an update on the actual status (not just "by [month] [date]").

2) When you switch bank accounts (international), there was a system glitch or something and the status was kept at "approved, pending payment" for a very long time (a few weeks). I had to reach out to someone and only at the time was I told that I needed cancel it and submit a whole new one. It would've been nice if I knew there was an issue so I didn't have to wait more than a month.

n/a

"Great interface"

What do you like best?

I love the way Abacus looks, especially the mobile app for Android. It looks great and is really user friendly. It's quick and easy to take pictures of all my receipts and have all the information ready to go. The email notifications are helpful too for keeping track of when my money is on its way back to me.

What do you dislike?

This isn't truly an Abacus problem, but I do have an issue with the length of time that it takes for money to return to my account. If there isn't already, there needs to be email notifications to those users who need to review and accept or reject reimbursements, so that they have a harder time simply forgetting about it. It's also a pain to have to wait for different banks to talk with one another, though again that's not really something controllable.

If nothing else, this has shown me that if companies simply find a way to use a shared credit card, then the need for reimbursements would go way down. Obviously not every situation calls for a company card, but also waiting to get paid back from money that came out of your own pocket can get old very fast.

"Easy to use and track"

What do you like best?

I particularly love the mobile app. It is so much easier to snap a photo of a receipt once you get it and then expense it. It also has an auto-fill function when you look up the vendor based on the location. It also helps me track my supervisor's approval of the expense and whether I have been reimbursed for that expense.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the auto-fill function is not finding the right vendors. Also, I wish that there was a function that would enable you to clone or duplicate an expenses (with the exception of the date and image of receipt) so that you do not need to fill in the whole form again but just update the date and receipt.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It has a great site and a mobile app. The mobile app is the best part of Abacus as it makes it even easier for users. I have however not used it as an administrator to review my team's expenses. However, it is easy for me to track my own expenses and see when my supervisor approves and reimburses me.

Expensing all my work-related costs i.e. travel expenses, meals, accommodation. It helps my CFO track all employee expenses easily as well.

Abacus review by User in Internet

"Abacus makes my life so much easier"

What do you like best?

The Abacus mobile app makes doing expenses a breeze. I can barely even remember the days when I used to dread doing my expenses — putting them off for days/weeks (and ultimately paying unnecessary credit card interest as a result). Now, with the Abacus app, I do them as-I-go. Snap a photo of the receipt, upload it, and it gets approved and reimbursed within days. Couldn't be simpler.

I also like that I can keep track of dates/categories/tags for each expense, months down the road, in an organized fashion — this helps for budgeting purposes.

What do you dislike?

The app crashes quite a bit on Android. I'm not sure if this is my outdated OS or if the app is simply taking up too much memory, but I wanted to flag the bug.

I also think there could be a better way to share/view your team members' expenses, as we often have multiple people submitting expenses to a given project which should add up to the total sum for that project (e.g. a video shoot that involved 4 employees).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Start using the mobile app! I can assure you, it will make doing your expenses much easier. You'll save on credit card interest because the money will be reimbursed quickly.

As a video producer, I'm constantly expensing things for shoots (client meals, travel costs, equipment, etc.) and Abacus helps me to keep track of all these minor things and reconcile all expenses in a quick and orderly fashion. Team-wide, this tool is helpful for budgeting and ultimately optimizing our production costs. The app makes the process even easier, as I am often NOT near a computer to tally up a spreadsheet. I can just take a phone pic of the receipt and be on my way.

Abacus review by User in Public Relations and Communications
User in Public Relations and Communications

"Quick and easy to use, some glitches"

What do you like best?

I love that Abacus has such a great integration between phone and computer. It makes it so easy for me to take a photo of a receipt on my phone and have it waiting for me to complete my expenses on my computer. It's great to not worry about losing a receipt because i can upload a photo immediately. Additionally, I find the software very easy to use any manage.

What do you dislike?

I have had some challenges linking my business credit card to my abacus profile. Every few weeks or so, I will have connection issues which do not allow me to complete my expense report. This is quit frustrating because it occurs so often and lowers productivity. When I cannot complete expenses, the billing department cannot charge our clients and we have to deal with delay.

We are solving the issue of having to submit hard copy receipts (which are easily misplaced). Abacus solves the problem by providing an easy to use software that tracks all expense and receipts.

Abacus review by David E.
David E.

"Much better than other expense solutions"

What do you like best?

Lots of intuitive features. Uploading receipts via mobile and then matching them to expenses on my laptop is a breeze. Good OCR functionality that pre-populates a lot of the field.

General UI is intuitive and allows me to quickly toggle between pending expenses and already paid. Also, since I'm a manager, it's easy to switch between expenses I approve for my team and my own personal expenses.

I also have noticed a much faster turnaround time for the cash to hit my bank account.

What do you dislike?

One feature request would be adding sub-totals to the pending and already paid sections. It's a bit annoying to not know how much I'm expecting to receive.

Also, the inability to copy expenses is a bit of a time suck. For example, every night that I stay late at work, I use the same train shuttle (and same picture of my metrocard) to request reimbursement. But I can't copy the expense from a previous expense, so I have to reattach the picture of the metrocard and fill out all the details again.

Faster turnaround time to get my expenses reimbursed. Probably helpful to the company to not have so many expenses accruing. Also, it takes a lot less of my (and my admin's) time, so there's a productivity boost.

Abacus review by User in Computer Software

"Leaps & bounds above Expensify"

What do you like best?

The "suggested expenses" features saves me so much time! The user interface is great and easy to use. It's also beautifully simple. I've used Expensify in the past & it was difficult to complete workflows because I easily got lost in the product and all of the fields. Abacus is much simpler and autofills much of the fields for me, before presenting me with a semi-complete report or receipt for approval. The OCR function is amazingly accurate, even if the picture of the receipt isn't the best.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes my receipts inbox gets cluttered. Would be great if they intelligently grouped receipts based on dates (and identified separate trips, etc.). Navigation is a bit wonky and not 100% intuitive but 80% there. Would love to be able to more quickly navigate the sidebar and find what I'm looking for, etc.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This product has saved our teams so much time it pays for itself. Expenses are now almost enjoyable instead of painful.

Saves me so much time on expenses, I'm able to get back to work faster. It's also painless. A software that makes the expense process painless and even enjoyable is something I gladly pay for.