Want to see who topped the 2019 Best Software Awards?

(846 reviews)

Real-time employee expense management & reimbursement

Work for Abacus?

Learning about Abacus?

Abacus Reviews

Ask Abacus a Question
Showing 851 Abacus reviews
Abacus review by Sarah F.
Sarah F.

"Responsive Customer Service, Adequate Product"

What do you like best?

UX is straight-forward and flexible for our needs. The customer service reps are great - knowledgeable and responsive.

What do you dislike?

We have intermittent issues with AMEX such as duplicate and missing transactions. It seems to be AMEX's problem with all similar services, though; not an Abacus-specific problem. Abacus speaks with the data providers directly to resolve the issues - sometimes this takes weeks.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Teh Salesforce integration was too expensive for us. It is not too difficult for us to manually input our campaigns, but if you have a ton, you may find this tedious and will need the integration.

It's much easier for the admin to follow up with our salespeople regarding specific transactions, or to hound them to submit receipts (we used a spreadsheet method previously). Also, with the ability to add accounts and campaigns from salesforce into Abacus directly, the inputs are normalized, and we don't have to search for a match.

From the salesperson's POV, they like Abacus way better than the spreadsheets; they can submit receipts throughout the month, instead of waiting to do all at once, getting in the way of other tasks.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Abacus
Abacus review by Angela E.
Angela E.

"I love Abacus!"

What do you like best?

I love the UI and how quick the support team responds to concerns.

What do you dislike?

It's a little frustrating to deal with strange glitches and bugs

Recommendations to others considering the product

Keep in mind that this is a fairly new product that's going through changes regularly. The staff keeps users updated about outages and the like on their blog which is useful, and the support team responds quickly. It's easy to get frustrated with the occasional glitch, but overall, the benefits outweigh the pains.

It's great for easy processing of user expenses and the comprehensive filters are great for sorting things and finding exactly what I need. It helps us reimburse our employees quicker and its integration with Netsuite makes monitoring all of this so much easier.

What Expense Management solution do you use?

Abacus review by Kajol B.
Kajol B.

"Great expense software! Makes receipt keeping easier. "

What do you like best?

I like the fact that I can see what exactly is happening with my expenses and when they are put back into my account in real-time, and who it needs to be approved by. It's really important because without, expenses could be lost in accounting.

What do you dislike?

It should be faster, the transfer back to bank can take up to 4 days when it could be faster, but not that big of a deal. Also, the categories drop list is not completely updated and doesn't include certain necessary options so sometimes that can get difficult.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely useful especially for smaller companies with less finance personnel.

Expense watching and documentation. With old paper receipts, it's hard to keep track, especially in smaller companies.

Abacus review by Amanda C.
Amanda C.

"Abacus is a seamless and easy to use expense system"

What do you like best?

Abacus' user interface is extremely intuitive and easy to use. Compared to the Concur system, expensing on Abacus is a breeze because of the ability to drag images into the platform, and the small amount of details that are required relating to one expense. What's even better is that you can upload expenses directly from your phone through the mobile app. This makes it a lot harder to forget to submit an expense because you can do so as soon as you receive the receipt.

What do you dislike?

Abacus should show an aggregate amount of expenses outstanding immediately on the home page. They should also show the amount of funds that have already been approved and are on their way, as well as the expected deposit date. The categories of expenses appear to be limited - users should be able to suggest their own to administrators in some way.

Recommendations to others considering the product

They should definitely switch from Concur to Abacus because Abacus is much more easy to use and understand. It is also faster and has a simpler user interface. It is nearly impossible to not understand how to use this software.

The system has easily solved the issue of submitting expenses. Because the platform is so seamless and easy to use, it has improved the accounting method that is used for expenses. Additionally, because all of the expenses must be categorized it is easy to see where the highest expenditures are happening. This has also made reimbursements back to employees a lot faster as well.

Abacus review by David C.
David C.

"Abacus has changed my life!"

What do you like best?

Easiest way to process expense charges! Rather than have a full wallet of receipts, along with digital ones that then need to be printed and validated, Abacus full integrates them seamlessly. Moreover, I can also review and approve the expenses from my direct reports. The time saving, efficiency and easy of use is truly outstanding. I would even say that Abacus is fun to use (transforming expense reporting from being my least favorite activity to something that I'm happy to do).

What do you dislike?

I would say waiting 25 years in the workforce to have an employer move to a digital expense report platform.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Abacus is truly an excellent product. Both as a website and as an app, the interfaces are intuitive, easy to navigate and logical. If one is familiar with online shopping and basic personal record-keeping, the Abacus platform will seem natural with a very quick learning curve.

Completing my own expense reports efficiently, speedily and accurately.

Realizing the same from my direct reports.

Supporting my organization in ensuring that expense reporting is done regularly and accurately.

Being reimbursed quickly, especially for large expenses.

Finally, enabling me to have greater visibility in the expenses of my reports to ensure that we adhere to our budget and spend our resources wisely.

Abacus review by Marc P.
Marc P.

"Great product for simplifying business expenses"

What do you like best?

I like the ease of entering expenses. The user interface is very easy to navigate, and very thoughtfully laid out. Also, the bank transfer, after approval, is very easy and streamlined. I like that Abacus sends me e-mails about the timing of the approval and bank transfer.

What do you dislike?

I wish there were a way to save a draft expense. Often times i start an expense report, and then find myself having to click out of the window, only to have to start from scratch. I am not sure if there is a way to setup template expense reports. As a contractor every two weeks, I submit a time card for wage approvals. It would be nice to have a template setup so all that I have to do is input the number of hours and the PDF of the time card for approval. This would save a lot of time and make for more consistent entries.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend Abacus to any small business. Having worked at a large company before coming here, the expense report system was disastrous and people were delinquent is submitting forms for reimbursement. Abacus has makes expenses easy to process, and provides no excuses for people not to submit their reports.

I am a contractor, and am able to enter my time card for approval very easily. As a contractor, I often work from home. Abacus makes it easy to remotly upload my time card and submit for approval.

Abacus review by Marsha L.
Marsha L.

"Loving Abacus Everyday!"

What do you like best?

I love that everything is categorized.and self explanatory. The tools they have to assist you comes in very handy. When i need toll reimbursements from my employer, i just enter all my info and then i am paid within a few days of reporting it. The service Abacus provides is an excellent one.p Just awesome!

What do you dislike?

The only thing i could say that needs improvements is sometimes when u enter more than one expense in a day it states its a duplicate. There is no way to differentiate the two. Im sure tgats just a glitch. There is nothing i dislike about Abacus.

Abacus is providing a platform of tools to list expenses and once completed i am able to go back if needed to look up past expenses. Instead of looking for receipts all i have to do is go on my Abacus app and my expenses are right there at my fingertips. Business done simple!

Abacus review by Susmita P.
Susmita P.

"Wonderful tool for keeping track of expenses!"

What do you like best?

I really enjoy both Abacus's website and mobile app for submitting my expenses and keeping track of reimbursements. It seamlessly connected to my bank, shows my past reimbursement data, and I'm able to easily view my pending expenses.

What do you dislike?

I don't dislike anything at all! The app especially has a great UI

Recommendations to others considering the product

In today's age, choose a tool for your employees that already has a great complementary app. They'll thank you.

The business benefits are multiple. I'm able to submit expenses with a few taps on my screen, from my mobile device directly, and categorize them efficiently. I greatly prefer this to other tools I've used for business expense reimbursements, which were clunky, had strange fields, and did not have a great user interface.

Abacus review by Danielle C.
Danielle C.

"Abacus is amazing! Simple, easy to use and allows your company to get your money back fast."

What do you like best?

With Abacus mobile app you can take pictures of receipts and instantly submit them as expenses. Abacus also allows you to connect credit cards to your account so that it will load the transactions for you to review and submit. Our company is able to save time on processing reimbursements and gets our money back to us within 1-3 days using Abacus. I highly recommend it to any company!

What do you dislike?

I dislike the suggested expenses emails.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Easy for internal processing and end user to use. Great product!

Turn around time to get money back to employees and labor involved in processing reimbursements.

That with Abacus it takes less time to process reimbursements which means less labor hours and less time for employees to wait to receive their money.

Abacus review by Rita J.
Rita J.

"Very satisfied"

What do you like best?

Abacus is very quick and easy to use as an administrator and a user.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the website can be really slow when I am authorizing expenses. That can be difficult.

Recommendations to others considering the product

We went from using no expense app to Abacus. It was like night and day. A huge timesaver and everyone loves it. I would not hesitate to recommend this product!

Everyone in our company that uses Abacus raves about it. Abacus makes it so much easier to submit expenses in realtime. It also helps me as the administrator to track travel expenses that we bill back to our clients.

Abacus review by Bailey T.
Bailey T.

"Abacus"

What do you like best?

It is a vwey easy to uae software that the compamy i work for ises every day. We are always doing math all day every day and we used others bwfore Abacus, but its is by far thw beat we have used. It makes everything we do very aimple and quick.

What do you dislike?

There isn't anything that i dislike. Other than that it took my company so long to use the software. So i have nothing negative to say towards the software, juat that it took my company so long to use it

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a very easy software to use and is so helpful.

I work in a factoey where we have to do math constantly. How much product can we run a day, how long will it take and how efficiently can we get the job done.

Abacus review by Bobbie G.
Bobbie G.

"Easy-Peezy "

What do you like best?

It's fast, easy, and convenient. I literally don't even need to keep paper receipts in my wallet or folders anymore. I take a picture of all receipts and keep them in my phone on my abacus app and never deal with losing them again... and It's done immediately when I pay for something! Boom! Done!

What do you dislike?

I can't customize some fields and can't edit some information after it's entered. It drives me a little crazy when I can't go back and change the detail that I entered or add more detail.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Always have the app on your main home screen so it is quickly and easily accessible on your phone.

It can be done in purchasing realtime. Less saving receipts. Snap the receipt picture as you purchase. I used to lose receipts and now I don't have that problem any more and won't ever again. YEA! A win for Abacus! I also have learned that I save a ton of time. Time is saved on the front end at the point of sale... bc it's so easy, and hours are saved on the back end not having to fill out forms and attach documentation and worry about losing everything.

Abacus review by Danae M.
Danae M.

"So easy I don't even think about it"

What do you like best?

The ability to pick out recent transactions straight from connected cards and turn them into expenses is awesome. Having Abacus handle my bank transfers means I don't even have to think about it.

What do you dislike?

They can't put money back on a credit card, which means that if you make a purchase near the end of your billing cycle, you might have to float some cash to pay off your bill rather than wait for a bank transfer to a checking account, then paying that to the card.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Set up all of your bank accounts and credit cards on the software before you expense anything.

I don't have to go to Accounting every time I want to purchase something. If there is a deal on a flight for a conference I'm going to that appears on Saturday morning, I can just purchase it and get reimbursed for it in a couple of days.

Abacus review by Jay P.
Jay P.

"Best I've Used"

What do you like best?

Abacus allows for real time, easy, submission of all expenses I have. With direct approval and direct deposit it is by far the best expense reimbursement tool I have ever used.

What do you dislike?

I wish I could allow multiple addresses to send receipts from . Since these are reimbursements most of my receipts go to my personal email address yet Abacus will only accept them from my work email address. Minor quibble but the only one I have.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's better (from a user perspective) than anything else I've come across.

The benefit is time and money - takes me only a minute to submit expenses as I get them. This means that I don't have to spend half a day every month trying to wrangle receipts and hope I remember what they're for.

Abacus review by Pedro C.
Pedro C.

"Good app and even better customer service"

What do you like best?

Their customer service reps showed me how to use the basic version features, saving us money by not needing to upgrade to the pro version. I felt like they put our needs on top of a quick sale, which is a very special thing to encounter and says a lot of good things about Abacus.

The app does all the basic things we needed, plus it allowed us to deposit directly from our bank (a regional bank that doesn't Expensify doesn't integrate with).

What do you dislike?

nothing so far, everything is fine, I don't dislike anything

We were able to expedite the expense-reimbursement-accounting cycle

Abacus review by Tracey M.
Tracey M.

"Elegance in its simplicity, excellent tool."

What do you like best?

The Abacus user interface is clean, easy to use, and it is easy to find what you need. Our previous system would take months to arrive, so it's useful that it can be in my bank account in a matter of weeks. The application is really great because I can take pictures of my receipts on the fly and not have to save them and enter them all at once, In addition, it facilitates the approval of payments for expenses since we can integrate it with our credit card to facilitate the payment.

What do you dislike?

the possibility of adding a date in which you want the reviewer to approve it. If I have a very large expense, I want my manager to know that I would need it by a certain date in order to manage my personal finances.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The mobile application is the best part of Abacus, makes it even easier for users.

It has made it easier for you not to lose receipts and for expenses to be paid faster, i can quickly access my application and see its status, so it reduces the excess of communication regarding whether my request was received or when I can wait for it.

Abacus review by User in Internet

"Finally, a tech-forward solution for dreaded expense reporting"

What do you like best?

Clarity, automation. Ability to email in receipts or submit via app. I can submit expenses as I accrue them, rather than try to recall all end of month.

What do you dislike?

I wish there were more granular edit abilities -- I've run into a few issues trying to edit an expense once submitted but before approved. I've also had issues where the exchange rate used by the platform differed slightly from how I was charged by my bank. It was a lot of manual work fixing that. The drop down categories can be a tad slow in-app, only noticeable when submitting multiple expenses, but for that reason I wish I could auto-pre-populate the dept drop down, since my expenses are consistently for the same department and save on the 3 sec to render each time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be very deliberate in setting up the rules for your organization -- it's possible that a lot of my feedback for Abacus is dictated by the rules in place established by our admin, not necessarily indicative of the tool itself.

Clarity, ease of workflows around expenses and approvals.

Abacus review by Brittany C.
Brittany C.

"Fast, easy reimbursements right back to your team"

What do you like best?

The speed of processing and and total lack of hassle. I've always had to use Excel spreadsheets and clunky expense reporting software before, so getting started with my new organization I resigned myself to looking for the least-bad option out there. Then I found Abacus, and now I love the expense reimbursement process. It cuts out all the tedious paperwork (bye bye monthly expense reports) and focuses on what we're really trying to do: validate expenses and get my teammates' money back into their bank accounts. The timeline from submission to approval to initiating direct deposit has been as little as 30 seconds. It's incredible, and really reinforces the values of consideration and responsiveness on our team.

What do you dislike?

I get the sense that the developers are still working out some kinks in the web and mobile apps – a few times the app has crashed or I've found myself in a loop trying to change some minor detail in an entry. Every single time I've run into an issue, the team has responded quickly and solved it for me. They're also very fast to push updates.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it!

I work at a startup, which means lots of chaos and (for me) constant anxiety that something important will fall through the cracks. I want my teammates to get paid back on time, and I don't want to spend my time policing cumbersome protocols. I'm pretty obsessed with our payroll system, but I like that we're not forced to link reimbursement processing to payroll processing. Asking folks to wait two weeks for hundreds of dollars they've paid out of pocket is not something I want to do if I don't have to. My startup also happens to be a nonprofit, which means we'll be audited every single year. We have to keep track of every receipt, and I appreciate that Abacus plays well with our accounting system Xero.

Abacus review by User in Computer Software

"Easy to Use with Actionable Integrations"

What do you like best?

- easy to use app on desktop and mobile for all experiences.

- easy to setup to ensure expenses meet the necessary criteria

- data-heavy and driven to help inform Accounting and Business teams of their expenses and how they line up with sales pipelines.

- easy to submit expenses on the go, so no one ever needs to save receipts and bulk submit expenses later on.

- can attribute expenses to a number of categories and/or allocate to numerous participants to better inform a large expense.

What do you dislike?

n/a right now, I would highly recommend this product.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a great product to use and consider if you're looking to understand expenses in more depth and how they align with your employees' goals and spending habits. The number of integrations possible for Abacus are high which makes using this software easy to pitch as managers have an easy time approving expenses (Slack integration!) as well as VPs/Finance teams more clearly aligning quarterly goals with the expenses being submitted by employees.

Understanding your expenditures at scale is crucial to success and Abacus ensures this is an easy and scalable process for all involved.

Expenses - reimbursement and submission.

Sales Pipeline Data Analysis - understanding how expenses correlate with sales goals for each business unit and their respective employees.

Abacus review by Brandon M.
Brandon M.

"Gamechanger for expense reporting and payouts"

What do you like best?

Easy to use, intuitive and works well with large groups/teams as well as for one-off expenses. In the past it was horrible to have to scan receipts, send them in and then follow what was paid back and what was not.

Now, it is completely seamless. It is easy enough that I typically find myself submitting my expenses in real time. Snap a photo of the receipt, enter the amount, choose the "Why" and categorize. Takes about 45 seconds and I'm done. Then I am alerted when approved and when money is coming back to my bank.

Having had a corporate credit card in the past that still required expense reporting versus just using my own cards and linking to my bank - I would much prefer to just use Abacus.

What do you dislike?

Not a ton to dislike. The team is always innovating and improving, so really it's just about waiting for them to make it better. Would be nice to link it to my credit cards and then allow me to simply review charges and mark them as "business expense". Then I wouldn't even need the receipts.

Aside from that, maybe allowing saved expenses that I can control/customize. Such as buying supplies for an office event. If I could save all the settings for a custom even I would only need to tap "Holiday party" and it fills in all the sub-categories, that might be cool.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Can't think of any downsides from a user aspect.

I work very cross-functionally and with teams all over the company. As such, I often am running around grabbing last minute supplies for recruiting events, office events, team outings, etc.

The major benefit is time of logging and reporting and ease of use.

Abacus review by Meilani K.
Meilani K.

"Abacus Review "

What do you like best?

I like the app and how seamless and easy it is to submit the expenses. Being able to instantly take a picture and submit my expense instantly makes me feel better about not forgetting things.

What do you dislike?

I don't have any negative feedback. The UI is amazing, it's fast, and easy to use.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend Abacus as a user in a company. It makes traveling for work so much easier and reassuring that my things are being sent in immediately, and once I send it in, I don't have any extra work to do as far as saving paper receipts, etc. Since I always have my phone on me, I can immediately snap a photo and submit my expense and not have to worry about it anymore. I also like how it notifies me when my expenses have been approved, and when funds appear in my bank account.

Being able to submit expenses instantly keeps people accountable and organized.

Abacus review by Tyler M.
Tyler M.

"Great, great, great platform for expense reimbursement and reporting!"

What do you like best?

Abacus is quick to roll out (for both users and admins) and makes it fast and easy for our employees and volunteers to get reimbursed for expenses they incur, as well as making it easy to reconcile company card expenses. The integration with our accounting system is extremely easy to use and works very well, which makes our bookkeepers happy.

What do you dislike?

Reimbursements are slightly slow (4-5 days) which can be a problem for some of our volunteers.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it out and see how easy it is to use! It's an order of magnitude easier than the competitors, the value of which can't be understated.

As a nationwide nonprofit, we have hundreds of volunteers, dozens of contractors, and a smallish number of employees located all across the US. Abacus makes managing the thousands of charges these people generate easy, and its integration with our accounting system is excellent. Overall we've saved 15-25 hours a quarter of reconciling receipts each quarter.

Abacus review by Lindsay D.
Lindsay D.

"Quick and painless to get started, nice notifications for status changes."

What do you like best?

Submitting a new expense … step-by-step process is effortless and predetermined categorization is handy. I enjoyed the interactivity to add a bank to my account and appreciate the direct deposit feature quite a bit.

What do you dislike?

No way for individuals to remind management to review/approve a claim. I have a few submissions "pending expenses" just sitting there from four months ago. I just need a button to send a notification to the head of the department (not my direct manager) and request a review of an expense from that department (not my own department).

Recommendations to others considering the product

I can't compare it to other software but if you're switching from a manual process you will be in heaven. On-boarding is easy to start an account and add bank information. Not frustrating to use for submitting for reimbursement 2-5x per month.

Process for expense approval. Before we had a manual process with submissions via email and documented with an excel spreadsheet. Abacus saves us loads of time for approval and repayment, along with providing a more enjoyable experience for users submitting expenses.

Abacus review by Warren W.
Warren W.

"Switched over from Expensify to Abacus"

What do you like best?

I'm usually doing expense receipts on the go during business travel.

For that purpose, having an easy, user-friendly mobile app is really important.

Forwarding emailed receipts and invoices to Abacus to be expenses is helpful too.

Customer support resolved an issue where reimbursements were taking several days and I thought it was because they were floating the money for pennies, I contacted support and discovered that our ACH transfer is slow to prevent fraud. As more money moves through Abacus, our "credit reputation" will go up and payment speed will increase.

What do you dislike?

A notification or explanation to me as a user would have been helpful.

Also, this works well for our small company (10 people), however, I could see where this doesn't give you the bigger management/enterprise features you would want.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great for small businesses.

Great support.

Excellent mobile app.

Our company was looking for an easier way to do reimbursements.

Abacus review by Mate B.
Mate B.

"Easy expensing"

What do you like best?

The convenience of its features to make expensing very simple and quick.

What do you dislike?

The mobile app which has only the minimum features and does not adequately follow its desktop application.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need good software to keep track of your expenses and the expenses of your team, you can completely rely on Abacus. Its options that you can choose and build for your expensing categories are great!

Regular weekly and monthly expensing are the activities and the main problem resolved is that we replaced another software with Abacus which is much better with quality features. The benefits are quick reporting and approving in real time.

Abacus review by Michelle N.
Michelle N.

"Very Efficient"

What do you like best?

All employees are able to access the site easily and can upload receipts along with their expenses. It's a simple design and makes the process of reimbursing employees easy.

What do you dislike?

When you need an employee to change something on their submitted expense, it becomes complicated, as they have to resubmit all together, rather than just change a few words in the description.

It keeps all reimbursements in one place for each employee. This allows us to understand what our employees are spending money on, who is doing the spending, and how much.

Abacus review by Christine P.
Christine P.

"Intuitive Ease of Use "

What do you like best?

Without taking a session to learn how to use it or following tutorials, it is instantly understandable and easy to use to complete the tasks I need. Where you imagine searching for things is where they exist.

What do you dislike?

Being unable to attach multiple receipts to one expense so that you don't have to take one photo of multiple receipts. When I went out of the country for an international conference, I had over 40 receipts, but wanted to log them to the same expense, vs creating multiple over and over again. I had to creatively take a picture of all the receipts together to upload as one individual expense. This way my supervisor didn't also have to approve 40+ expenses.

Solving for conference expenses within other countries with receipts I need to translate the currencies. Having the currency converter was awesome as I was dealing with multiple different countries and currencies.

Abacus review by Noreen A.
Noreen A.

"Straightforward, Easy"

What do you like best?

The ease of adding expenses is what really cinches the product in my opinion. The website itself is incredibly straightforward and easily understood. More than that, having never used such a program previously, I really appreciate the quality of the mobile app. It made it so much easier to simply be able to add expenses straight from my phone, particularly during a cross country move!

What do you dislike?

I do feel that it is a little clunky in some areas, but our company is small enough that it is not quite such a big deal. That said, it is otherwise super function and straightforward.

As an employee in a super small startup, this was the easiest way of formally sharing my expenses and making sure they were correctly reimbursed. I don't have daily expenses though, or even monthly expenses. I imagine I would have a different experience to speak from if I used this for more than simply being reimbursed for my moving expenses and initial apartment security deposit.

Abacus review by Brian C.
Brian C.

"Loveable core, with buggy exterior"

What do you like best?

The product vision and pace of execution with this company is great. Between the app, the automatic scanning and matching of receipts, the admin portal tools and the syncing with major credit cards, accounting systems and personal inbox - they made a ton of progress toward a correct vision of how a corporate expense management system should work. My end users love the app and the simplicity of submitting expenses. Choosing Abacus made me look good.

What do you dislike?

The product still has a long way to go in terms of speed, reliability, UX design, and cohesive experience. You'll often click on something and nothing happens, or the sync will be buggy, or the menu will load and half the items are off-screen. That said, they deploy new features very quickly, are very responsive to feedback, and in the five months I've used them up to 11/2016, I've seen large improvements and rapid releases.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be vocal about product feedback, be ready to tolerate quirks and bugs.

Expense management and reimbursement tracking

Abacus review by Gerard S.
Gerard S.

"Abacus is the best tool for paperless expense reimbursements"

What do you like best?

I get receipts in one of two ways: a hard copy (i.e. retail store), or in email (i.e. online order). In the case of a hard copy, I open the Abacus mobile app, snap a picture with my phone, and create a new expense in a about 30 seconds. In the case of an email, I forward the receipt to the Abacus email address, open the website, and create a new expense right then and there. No paper forms, no scanning, no emails to personal email addresses that may or may not get looked at.

What do you dislike?

Not a lot. Admittedly, I don't have a lot of basis for comparison, having never used an electronic expense account system like Abacus before.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are using paper at all for expense tracking, you're doing it wrong.

In addition to saving time, business expenses are cash out of pocket, which impacts my family's bottom line. The quicker and easier it is to get reimbursed, the better off I am all-around. If I have to wait a month to get reimbursed for a business expense, it's a negative feeling overall.

Abacus review by Dan B.
Dan B.

"Efficient and User Friendly"

What do you like best?

My company has been using Abacus for a little over a year now and it has worked wonders in that short amount of time. I no longer have to keep a folder in my filing cabinet of receipts for reimbursement. I just buy what is needed for the company or a project I'm working on, take a picture of the receipt and upload it to Abacus. When the finance team gets around to it they reimburse me and the money goes right back into my bank account.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I dislike is the limit. I have heard many co-workers complain about the reimbursement limit. However, if you're like me and submit your receipt immediately, this will not really be a problem.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get it now and save yourself the headaches.

Thanks to Abacus, the company I work for has freed up the finance and human resource's teams time on more important issues.

Abacus review by Taylor P.
Taylor P.

"Abacus Review"

What do you like best?

I like how I can easily upload receipt pictures to the site. In addition, I like how it allows me to report reimbursements so that people can keep track of how much we are spending. It is also useful how abacus remembers locations and vendors once they are submitted.

What do you dislike?

I don'y like how I can't mass delete items, or create events to sort out purchases. It makes it more difficult for me to sort out through my receipts especially once I start massing them in the 100s. Having a simple way to delete them would make my life so much easier. Having a chat available between the organization users in abacus would allow me to talk to who is submitting their receipts and to clarify and questions about purchases.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would sit down with your teammates and talk about how using the software will get you towards your goals.

I am solving a clutter and reimbursement issue and I have realized that it would be beneficial to allow users to create events that other people can submit receipts to as as well.

Abacus review by Jeannie P.
Jeannie P.

"Director of Talent"

What do you like best?

Ease and flexibility of the app especially when in a startup, colleagues are constantly having to reimburse things. Just the comfort in knowing that the expense will be taken care of is great. It's also great that other team members or leads can approve the expenses because it is time consuming.

What do you dislike?

I dont know what triggers this, but sometimes the reimbursements take longer than expected. For larger purchases closer to $10k, these need to be paid out in a faster time period to the colleagues. Also, there are times, when coworkers might expense things too quickly, and theres no way to retract to expense except with them paying us back. I dont know if there is a simple revert button.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Revert button. Faster deposits into the bank. More alerts maybe to prompt leads to approve the expenses quicker.

We dont want to provide everyone with a corporate card so this reimbursement system has been great. It's also very time consuming to approve things but its something that has to get done. If there was someway that somethings were automated, that would be great.

Abacus review by Brandon C.
Brandon C.

"Great expense application. Best on the market"

What do you like best?

Abacus integrates with my bank account and credit card and pulls in all of my expenses. This makes logging expenses insanely easy on the go. What used to take me a long time now is a breeze. True game changer for the professional on the go.

What do you dislike?

Scanning receipts should be easier to do. Also, it gives me notifications on my iPhone and I have to manually swipe to "Skip" transactions in order to get rid of the notifications. Small frustrations, but all in all, still a great product.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Scope out your specific needs when evaluating software like Abacus. It may be a little pricier than most, but in our eyes, it's worth it.

We are solving the frustrating problem of logging our expenses when we travel for business. Our accounting team has strict rules of having expense reports due every Friday. In the past, it used to be very frustrating and would legitimately take me 1-2 hours. And, I'd have to hold onto every little receipt. I've realized a humongous time saving and an overall better experience with

Abacus review by Derek F.
Derek F.

"Abacus is simple and intuitive which makes the implementation and use easy. "

What do you like best?

As an admin, the ease with which I can switch between my admin page and my personal page is great. The ability to make edits as I approve is great too.

What do you dislike?

I accidentally uploaded a corporate cc expense receipt as a reimbursable and had to go through a rigmarole to correct outside of the system. Some control to verify a reimbursable before submitting for approval would have been helpful.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Some sort of workflow that identifies when an expense has been reconciled in Xero ahead of expense approval in Abacus. A two-way data flow could also be useful if expenses get recategorized after the fact so that Abacus reporting updates and matches Xero reporting exactly.

We are gaining control over our expense management and bookkeeping process. Prior to Abacus, there were a lot of inquiries being sent to team members for business purpose (AKA expense category) for their purchases. Huge efficiency gain here.

Abacus review by Lauren W.
Lauren W.

"Great, with a few software bugs."

What do you like best?

Customer support responds quickly; ability to get paid within just a couple days of when an expense is approved is wonderful for employees. UI is more intuitive than Expensify and you get paid a lot faster!

What do you dislike?

The overall web app is quite buggy. They definitely have some kinks to work out, as I've experienced several issues with syncing chart of accounts categories with Xero, having to refresh a page to see an update I made, ability to upload multiple receipts limited, PDF shows up as only 1 page when there are 4 pages, etc. Also, would be nice if Abacus automatically imported our Xero chart of accounts instead of having to manually type in every expense category and match it to the chart of accounts.

Would also be nice for foreign expenses to be able to upload two receipts - the credit card transaction as well as the actual receipt (not sure if Abacus currency converter is IRS compliant).

Paying $9/month/user is great for active users, but if an employee expenses only a coffee one month, this could be 200% more than the expense they are getting reimbursed for.

It is nice to know that in the event of an audit all of our receipts are there in Abacus. I can set parameters for when receipts are required. Very low admin work associated with Abacus. Much better than whatever else is on the market that I've experienced in past roles.

Abacus review by Annie A.
Annie A.

"Time saving OCR technology and QBO Integration"

What do you like best?

1. The OCR technology is great, so much time is saved by not having to match the receipt to the expense, and it even remembers repeating charges so you don't have to assign the category everytime.

2. Seamless QBO integration with accrual expense recognition.

3. Very customizable and easy to setup, I spent almost a month trying to setup something that would work for us with Concur and they weren't able to do it. I did it myself on Abacus in a few hours.

4. Customer service is very responsive and takes suggestions for new features, there have been multiple items I have suggested over the last year that they later implemented.

What do you dislike?

There is really nothing I dislike about the software.

1. Receipt management - can easily track and approve through their receipt view

2. Expense upload into QBO - Categories allow users to input information which later feeds into QBO accounts, rather than one accountant sifting through and categorizing everything.

3. Approval workflow

Abacus review by Britney B.
Britney B.

"Review Abacus, flawless reimbursement "

What do you like best?

Prior to using Abacus, my company use to use their own internal system to expense items. The turnaround time for employees to get reimbursed took anywhere from 3-5 weeks. I love that Abacus has a short turnaround time, and we're reimbursed instantly within days without having to wait for it to be added onto the next paycheck.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing that I dislike about this application. I have it right on my phone, can screenshot or take a picture of my receipts and upload it for my manager to approve. I haven't run into any issues thus far.

Recommendations to others considering the product

No recommendations. Abacus is flawless.

As mentioned prior, we're solving the business problem of shortening the turnaround reimbursement time. Working within a consulting intermediary, you often need to expense a lot. I don't work on the client side, but it's crucial for my colleagues to get paid out instantly so they don't need to foot the bill absurd amounts. We're shortening the turnaround time by using Abacus, and have realized it's a lot easier for employees to submit expenses and get paid out.

Abacus review by James D.
James D.

"Great Service for Startups!"

What do you like best?

Simplicity on both the user end and the finance/accounting end to make submitting expenses quick and easy with valid receipt backup. Also the controls with multiple approvers is a great feature that reduces need for communication between employees/departments.

What do you dislike?

I think there could be more controls around the amount submitted for expenses, e.g. it is very easy for employees to add an extra digit and submit a very large claim and then the claim has to be denied and re-submitted. If there was "are you sure?" you want to submit window that popped up when claims are submitted this could be helpful.

Recommendations to others considering the product

We evaluated Abacus versus expensify and decided that abacus is far superior and has satisfied all of our needs.

We have cut down significantly on expense processing time and therefore saved significant finance/accounting time. We have also solved the problem of employees sitting on expenses for long periods of time because they do not want to put together claims manually and submit.

Abacus review by Kathleen F.
Kathleen F.

"User friendly and efficient"

What do you like best?

Abacus is a great way to submit any kind of work related expense. In previous positions when submitting milage was a daunting task, I rarely did it, likely losing out on a great deal of money. I love how user friendly the interface is; both on the computer and on my phone.

What do you dislike?

Perhaps this is a result of how our company's account is set up specifically, but it would be great to be able to view total expenses in a specific category (we used to have this capability). It would also be nice if the "Merchant" field populated a little better; normally an error pops up saying a vendor can't be found, and then I have to override and enter a vendor free text.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Abacus is an easy and effective way to file expenses in various aspects of the job; professional development, travel, health budget, etc.

Great way to keep up on expenses; it's easy to let them pile up.

Abacus review by Angela C.
Angela C.

"Overall, very satisfied with Abacus and their customer service!"

What do you like best?

I enjoy the simplicity of the program. It's easy for people to use and even those who aren't as savvy can use the app successfully. They are constantly adding new features and making improvements that our team appreciates.

The app is very easy to use and quite convenient. Our employees generally enjoy the app and don't have many issues with it. This has been the easiest program to use out of all that we have tried.

Customer support is quick to answer any questions that we may have and always very personable. They have found solutions to any problems that we have come across and are pretty prompt in their response.

What do you dislike?

The only drawback I have with the program is that they dropped the processor that originally allowed us to integrate our specific company credit cards (Chase Ink). So every time I add an employee, they have to turn on a special feature that allows that specific card. They are very quick in this process, but that is a step I wish wasn't there.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for a easy-to-use program that anyone can use (even our 80 year-old employee), this is the solution for you.

This is simplifying our expense reporting process and allowing our employees to stay on top of their expenses.

Abacus review by Ross L.
Ross L.

"Abacus is easy, visible, and fully-functional"

What do you like best?

I'm only on the reporting side of expenses rather than the approval and reimbursing side, but from how I understand the product, I like the sharing, reviewing, and approval of expenses flow. As long as the approving agent is on his or her game, reimbursements turn around very quickly and the whole process is very visible to all parties involved.

What do you dislike?

I wish I could upload multiple receipt images/expenses at one time. From a single business trip, I could have as many as 6-9 expenses to report and filing them one-by-one might make less sense than being able to upload multiple.

Abacus is the best way we've found to aggregate, review, approve/deny, and reimburse expenses. We're a very small company (fewer than 50 employees) where everyone wears multiple hats. No one exactly takes the helm yet when it comes to expense analysis and careful spending management. Abacus helps our CFO/COO coordinate with payroll and also TriNet, our HR administrator, to log expense reports and reimbursements.

Abacus review by David C.
David C.

"Seamless Expense Management"

What do you like best?

I really like how simple it is to report and expense, upload a picture and don't worry about it until it gets approved.

What do you dislike?

Well, sometimes I forget about it and I feel like a shouldn't, either sometimes I forget about having to submit an expense or I forget to check to see if there is more information that I need to submit or as simple as if it got approved or not.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't think twice! Abacus is so simple to use that reporting an expense will be a thing of the past!

Well for me it has been mostly controlling the expenses around recruiting (taking a candidate for coffee, dinner, etc.) or expensing the costs of internal meetings (one on ones at coffee shops, etc.) In terms of benefits, I now don't hesitate in going the extra mile when recruiting or maintaining a good team culture because I know that expense reporting is very easy.

Abacus review by Ravi P.
Ravi P.

"Dead simple expensing software that every small business should look at."

What do you like best?

Easy to use, easy to setup. We started using a few years ago when they emailed us, and got it up and running in a few minutes. The auto-categorization of vendors into the right categories is nice.

Pricing structure is very attractive to small businesses - you only get charged if people are actually using it.

What do you dislike?

I've heard Expensify uses OCR / people to scan receipts, which I don't think Abacus does (I could be wrong). Would be a "nice-to-have" but Abacus still works great.

There are some "recurring" expenses that many employees have - would be nice to have reminders or auto-generate them or something. Again, not a big deal.

It's scaled with us well from 3 people when we started using it to 40+ people today. I've heard there are other solutions when you continue to grow that do a better job with things like travel that are starting to become bigger needs for our business. But we're still not quite there yet, so Abacus is great.

Abacus review by User in Staffing and Recruiting
User in Staffing and Recruiting

"So much more efficient than our previous expense tracking"

What do you like best?

I love the mobile app the best. Previously we had to scan and upload receipts and manually enter information into a form. Now I can literally take a photo of my receipt the moment I get it and submit through the app. It has made travel/meal expenses so much easier to manage because then I won't forget them before I get back home on on my normal routine.

I also really appreciate the very quick turnaround on expenses. Once an expense is approved, it is in my account within a few days instead of our old system that only paid out monthly.

What do you dislike?

There isn't a whole lot to dislike. Everything is pretty straightforward and so much better than our previous, manual process.

One thing that is a little challenging is that we require receipts for everything, but there are some expenses that are recurring monthly expenses from a single annual contract. I have one specific vendor that doesn't send monthly receipts so I have to re-upload the same contract every month, which is a little annoying. I'm not sure if that is an Abacus issue or if I should be annoyed that the vendor can't send monthly receipts.

There are fewer questions about what our expense policies are thanks to the blocking rules. If I enter something that violates a policy, it tells me and I can adjust right away. It is also nice that any feedback from our internal team is shared directly in the system and is associated with the specific expense.

Abacus review by User in Commercial Real Estate
User in Commercial Real Estate

"Easy to use!"

What do you like best?

I like abacus' mobile app a lot. It makes it easy to record expenses on the go. I also like that you can email receipts and to an abacus address and it will automatically store that receipt on the abacus website for you to use. This saves me a lot of time and it also helps me manage receipts when I receive them via email. I also like that it's very easy to set up as a first time user.

What do you dislike?

Can't send expenses without having service and I wish abacus could start to fill in some of the information like category when i enter in similar expenses. Other thank that, I think the app is pretty smart.

Easy to send expenses in real time. I get my expenses approved and reimbursed much faster now. It used to take me a very long time to get expenses approved at previous companies. I also really like the attendees/participants feature where I can tag others that participated in the expense with me. There is also full visibility into who has approved your expense which just gives me confidence of the stakeholders in the process.

Abacus review by Administrator

"Great User Experience"

What do you like best?

The web and mobile platform are both easy to navigate and use. Automated invoice matching and expense generation for both expense reimbursements and credit card reconciliations make transactions easy to audit.

What do you dislike?

The back end is not very customizable and reporting doesn't work too well. We aren't able to get GL account codes in reports that we generate even though it exists in the back end and the integration to Netsuite is not great. Additionally, Managers approving employee reimbursements can't access historical transactions they've approved. All the data is available but they have some work to do for admins and Managers to use them.

Expedited our turn around for expense reimbursements and easier visibility for corporate credit card holders to their transactions.

Abacus review by Marlie S.
Marlie S.

"Live Updates Make Life Easy"

What do you like best?

I love that you can update your expenses live or in real time. I always hate saving receipts and used to be frantic when traveling that I would lose them. However, with the ability to take pictures of the receipts and upload instantly, it makes it much easier! The technical support far exceeds other software programs that I have used for the same purpose.

What do you dislike?

I do feel that the look and feel of the UI is a little outdated and could use a bit of a "facelift." It would also be great to customize the file prior to exporting to allow for a better data output based upon what the individual user needs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You definitely need to give it a go! Also, set up all feature (credit cards, etc.) prior to going live for employees.

The benefit of Abacus is TIME. You save so much time by live updating of expenses and receipt uploading. You save time with the ability to see expenses quickly and easily. It's not difficult to set up and it's so easy to use that you don't even have to think about it!

Abacus review by jennie p.
jennie p.

"So easy to use, love it!"

What do you like best?

I like the app on my phone. I use it all the time for the tracking and reimbursement of purchases I make for work. I take a picture of receipts for business expenses at the cash register and immediately open up Abacus and start my reimbursement process. I also really like the email notification that abacus purchases have been approved.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the amount of time it takes to get money back into my personal bank account. I understand that both my supervisor and her supervisor both need to approve an expense before releasing funds are released.

I am tracking how much money is spent purchasing ingredients for several early childhood cooking classes. Children are exposed to nutritious and delicious food at an early age, creating a desire to eat a variety of fruits and vegetables that will last a lifetime.

Abacus review by User

"Easiest expense reporting software I've used"

What do you like best?

This software is very easy to use and is great for employees who travel frequently. I used Concur and found it to be intuitive and easy, but this is light years ahead. The real-time submission and quick turnaround ensures I have the cash in my bank account to pay the bills. It is also great because I don't have to save all my receipts and input a mass expense entry after the fact (my biggest beef with Concur). Flexibility between mobile and online platforms is super helpful and easy as well.

What do you dislike?

Just some little things: the sync between the mobile platform and web platform is not perfect. For example, when I take a receipt photo with my phone, the expense is available one mobile, very quickly, but I have to log out and log back in own my computer to see the same charge. Would like a little easier functions for categorizing expenses into "trips" after expenses have been entered and submitted.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Strongly recommended. Great user experience.

Simplified expense reporting. The greatest benefits are the accuracy in data capture, transparency, and the speed of the program to completing reimbursements.

Learn more about Abacus

Abacus Videos

Learning about Abacus?

* We monitor all Abacus reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.
(846 reviews)