Adobe After Effects

Animation and creative compositing software used by a wide variety of motion graphics and visual effects artists

Work for Adobe After Effects?

Learning about After Effects?

Adobe After Effects Reviews

Showing 351 After Effects reviews
After Effects review by <span>alan c.</span>
alan c.

One of the Best

What do you like best?

this is one of the popular application when comes to motion graphics and visual effects. there are tons of features for everything you can think of. the program works seamlessly and integrates well with cinema 4d, Maya and other creative cloud products. its supported by mac as well as pc, so there is no question about it. the software is popular so you can easily share projects. there are also tons of add-ons available in the web to make your job easier. the support from the adobe is also great.

What do you dislike?

the after effects is really hard to learn unless you got experience in previous versions, the number of tools and options can be intimidating. i found the learning curve too steep for a new user who wants to get into VFX and animations through after effects. the pricing isn't cheap and it's a subscription-only model,a normal user or someone who just gets into the industry won't be able to afford such a software. the program is heavy on the system, I had an 8 GB memory system with Intel i7 7700HQ, still got system frozen when working with 3D projects and it's really frustrating. when it comes to video editing the software is next to nothing without premiere pro alongside. the inbuild rendering options are terrible and media encored is a necessity when it comes to rendering projects.

Recommendations to others considering the product

the program isn't cheap and needs a heavy system to perform well. if that's not a problem go for it, you wont regret it.

creating animations as well as tracking pixels in projects.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Adobe After Effects
After Effects review by <span>Erdem B.</span>
Erdem B.

An all-round video editor/compositor

What do you like best?

It is a very capable solution for almost all of your needs - from simple trimming - joining chores to 3D compositing - it does all. As a product designer, I hardly used it in its full capacity, I don't think that I scratched the surface in more than a year of occasional use. But, what I like most is, it can expand more with many plugins. Some of those plugins won't cost you a thing.

One of the major selling points is that it is widely used by professionals from many different areas. This brings a ton of learning materials aimed for diverse uses and problems that you can google.

What do you dislike?

Since After Effects is on the more professional side compared to a regular video editing software, learning curve is a tad bit steep for fresh starters. If you are not familiar with certain glossary, you may find it quite difficult to find a specific tool for your need.

After Effects can get heavy depending on the project and resolution. I often have rendering problems on my quite outdated workstation, although it is a stronger machine than my personal computer.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend starting with a short subscription period so that you can see whether it is enough or more than enough for your needs.

I use it for editing and compositing 3D product animations. It is especially handy for post-render effects and adjustments without ahveing to re-render in 3D software.

What Video Effects solution do you use?

After Effects review by <span>Urvesh P.</span>
Urvesh P.

Motion Effects made easier

What do you like best?

Adobe after effects is a professional software I have used for a long time for all my video effects for my Non-Profit and it's simply amazing. You can integrate a bunch of different types of files in it at well, and rendering is made so much easier with it's media encoder.

What do you dislike?

I dislike how there is no longer the option to render H.264 or mp4 video format because that is something I need to have every time I make a video, so I dislike how I have to go to media encoder for me to render it in Mp4 format.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It a really great product that every Designer would need and it has everything you would want to have use for.

I'm solving many marketing solutions with after effects. Having the ability to make videos to use for branding, marketing and many different yearly events is made so much easier with After effects.

After Effects review by <span>PJ M.</span>
PJ M.

An immensely powerful Compositing, editing, and Animation Application

What do you like best?

It is so powerful and is packed with default effects, tools, and features. When you finally get the hang of it, the only limit to the creative possibilities is your imagination (and your computer's CPU/GPU).

I've used it for a bunch of stuff from compositing video files, to 3D scenes, to logo animation, and much more.

Now with the implementation of C4D directly into it's core components, you really have to struggle to find something this application can't do

What do you dislike?

I wish it had more node-based editing capability. Currently, the only node-based thing you can really see is a relationship graph between different compositions. That in and of itself is pretty useful at times, but they need to expand the node-based capability further like in adding effects and animation tools. Many of its competitors have adopted this functionality.

Adobe's technical and business support is and has always been some of the worst experiences of my life with regards to troubleshooting and general help. Every time I have called them or posted on their forums, the response is either: non-existent, not helpful, useless, rude, or just plain incorrect. They seriously need to improve it. If the production of their product was not so high-quality and user-friendly, I'm positive they would go out of business because of this.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's always being updated with industry standard (and leading) tools. Implementing those and keeping them working is a tough job and Adobe does it well. But give them a little slack when it comes to finding and using different aspects of ae.

Animation, compositing, basically any time we need an advanced and powerful tool, we turn to After Effects.

After Effects review by <span>Rachel H.</span>
Rachel H.

The essential motion graphics software

What do you like best?

I love the amount of customization that is allowed with After Effects. The amount of parameters that you are able to customize is incredible. I like that it is able to import Adobe Illustrator files and then animate each piece. It also comes with very powerful built-in effects, that let you customize text effects, transitions, etc. With After Effects, the only limits are your imagination. I am able to quickly and efficiently create explainer videos and add effects that would take hours in another program.

What do you dislike?

What I dislike is how After Effects integrates with graphics software like Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Photoshop. The keyboard shortcuts are all different, the locations are different, the terms are different. This makes switching between programs a challenge. I also would prefer a non-subscription based service, but that is not the way the program is now going.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are someone who is trying to do freelance video, you need After Effects. It also integrates extremely well with Adobe Premiere. Together they make a very powerful package for video editing and motion graphics.

I do freelance motion graphics work as a main part of my business. After Effects is the essential software for motion graphics. I need After Effects to put complex text animations in my videos, as well as complicated video effects. Using this software saves me time, so I don't have to fight with the rudimentary built-in effects of video editing programs. It is an essential piece of my business.

After Effects review by <span>Michael G.</span>
Michael G.

Challenging but effective video editing and motion graphics

What do you like best?

Pre-loaded effects, ability to load in hi-res but preview in low, intuitive timeline and layers (if you're familiar with other Adobe products, this will come easily), nice basic effects menu that can accomplish a lot with little effort

What do you dislike?

Masking is a complicated task, loading in multiple comps can be tricky, certain file types are not permitted, wish you could import certain file types to create comps from, wish it was more interchangeable and responsive with Illustrator/InDesign. It does tend to crash a lot, so make sure you are in the right preview setting!

Recommendations to others considering the product

This program will take practice! You will likely get easily frustrated at first for more complex jobs. This is a great tool to make and design basic motion graphics and effects. For more complex jobs, AE is also great but will require some tutorials. I would not just use this for solely video editing, as it has many other tools embedded within the interface.

Video editing, motion graphics, animations. This was the perfect software for the level of work I needed to achieve.

Learning about Adobe After Effects?

* We monitor all Adobe After Effects reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.