• I use this
Badge 1404235877

Adobe Captivate

26 7.8 / 10
Compare Request a Demo
Author interactive eLearning and mLearning content. Easily create demos in HD, application simulations, and soft skills and compliance training.

Adobe Captivate Reviews (26)

Interactivity, buttons, smart shapes, question slides, Read More
0 fxi2tzv7z0z9r5iss o0trvgvycqj61ssl0ptr4yeunn6cxv grhfuukurgms3 nafd myofxif2
Christine W.
Internal Consultant in Professional Training & Coaching
Angela M.
Consultant in Information Technology and Services
Updated On

New User Success

What do you like best?

The ability to build my slide deck using different features. For example, I was able to build introductory slides then record a software simulation or video demo. I like that these entities are initially a separate file that I can edit and tweak, then copy into the master project.

The ease of including features that make the learning meet Section 508 standards for accessibility.

When I published the project, I could generate a PDF that was interactive. For my situation, this assisted in piloting the modules before they went live on the LMS site.

What do you dislike?

When I purchased Captivate 8, I had not used previous versions of Captivate. I felt the tutorials offered by Adobe for Captivate 8 assumed that the user had used previous versions of the product. This made the learning curve, when on a tight project schedule, difficult. The video tutorials that I did watch moved very quickly and were difficult to understand. I had to watch them multiple times.

When building and editing the deck, I used the accessibility features to meet Section 508 standards for accessibility. When previewing just one slide, I could not preview the closed-captioning timing; I had to preview at least five slides or the whole project.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are a new user of Adobe Captivate, you will want to purchase a good tutorial book to supplement what Adobe offers. I found a couple of good ones that ramped up my ability to use Captivate 8 pretty quickly. I purchased it in an e-book format which allowed me to search a feature I was trying to use and get immediate help.

What business problems are you solving? What benefits have you realized?

Re-designing and developing content for a MOOC to improve learner completion rate. Initially the MOOC content was heavy in text. The benefit to the learner is a higher level of interactivity with the learning content which will result in higher learner engagement. This should impact the successful accomplishment of the learning objectives and ultimately improve the overall MOOC completion rate.

Premier Tool for Creating Training & Instructional Videos

What do you like best?

Adobe Captivate give me and my team the ability to easily author a training videos that walk my users step-by-step through the use of my application while providing them with audio and captions for understandability. Not only is the process of recording easy, the output is a professional quality training video that can be accomplished with limited training for my staff. The application has a large feature set which makes it easy to record different things without having to put a lot of thought into how to accomplish it.

What do you dislike?

While the software is pretty easy to use, there are sometimes quirks with certain settings such as the panning and capture area. I find that communicating these settings to my team can often be difficult. Because there are so many settings, it is often difficult to determine which settings should be used in certain circumstances to optimize my recording for a particular situation. Though there are many settings available, there is something to be left desired when creating introduction and closing screens with the limitation in the effects.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I have tried other similar products and have found that while many of them are easy to use, most of them do not have the feature set that Adobe Captivate has. Additionally, these other products do not create as high a quality product as Adobe. If you are considering Adobe, you will need to make sure that you have plenty of ramp up time to learn the system and time in place to test the different features to find out which ones look best for you.

What business problems are you solving? What benefits have you realized?

My company uses Adobe Captivate to create learning management type videos and training materials for employees and customers. We have noticed substantial benefits in being able to create training videos which can be distributed as required and can be watched repeatedly. This allows us to convey the same message continuously to everyone. With the ability to create an actual instructional video, we can quiz our users and drive them through actual scenarios to ensure that they can duplicate whatever process or activity that we are training them to in a guided manner.

Validated Review

Need to use every day to keep fresh on Captivate

What do you like best?

Interactivity, buttons, smart shapes, question slides,

What do you dislike?

Requires checking and double checking as each box and button has its own timing, formatting, etc . Documentation is weak in general on Captivate and problems had to be solved through trial and error with a few urgent messages to the Capitvate forum or blog. Trouble shoot , troubleshoot- you have to get very good at trouble shooting.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be sure to create and establish your templates BEFORE you begin creating project. Timing, colors, fonts, master slides, answers to questions, all your preferences. Would be a nightmare to retro fix a project without established templates and preferences.

What business problems are you solving? What benefits have you realized?

I have created five different elearnings for my company- focused on hands-on software training combined with some business process concepts. I found it easier to manually create my interactive software simulation rather than use the built-in simulation tools which required more time editing what was automatically created than starting from a manual process in the beginning. The elearnings enabled over 1000 users at a tme to get the basic information and introducton to new software tools that they needed, The elearning was created in combination with an accompanying job aid that supported the steps in the elearning. Saved all the logistics of ILT training or sending out an email with attached job aid that no one would read. Since the course was assigned out and required and completion was tracked, more people actually took the training and got the introduction they needed.

Updated On

Upgraded from Captivate 5.5 to Subscription of Captivate 7

What do you like best?

The main reason I requested an upgrade from Captivate 5.5 to 7 was to be able to publish content to HTML5. We are producing more and more eLearning for mobile and we need to be able to support our learner's tablets and smart phones. I also like the fact that 7 comes with several photographic characters to use in my training. I like these better than the illustrated characters. I think there is better transference of learning with the photographic characters. I decided to go with the subscription model because I will get any upgrades free, so, in the long run, it should be cheaper than buying 7.0 non-subscription because I believe that Adobe will need to come out with another version in a year or so because mobile learning and technologies are changing so fast. Even though it is a subscription purchase, I am still able to download the product and work offline.

What do you dislike?

I would like to be able to seemlessly use Adobe Captivate content within Articulate Storyline tutorials and Storyline content within Captivate tutorials, but right now, I can't do that with interactive content, only video.

Also, no upgrade was offered for us going from Captivate 5.5 to 7.0. We thought that that was pretty ridiculous.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I see Adobe Captivate as the best tool on the market for software training. Articulate Storyline and TechSmith Camtasia do not let you have as much control over what you want to show as much as Captivate has. I am able to change the littlest of things to make my demos and simulations precise.

What business problems are you solving? What benefits have you realized?

I use Adobe Captivate to build our software product training and product marketing demos. Captivate allows me to fine-tune demos and simulations to the most intricate little details that I want. I am unable to get that kind of control from screen recordings in either Articulate Storyline or Camtasia. Captivate gives me the flexibility that I need to create the best software demos and simulations that we require. I also use Captivate to create onboarding training for new salespeople at Cincom. We've been able to greatly reduce our onboarding training expenses and yet have consistent training by having new salespeople complete eLearning on their own time, their own pace, and on the device of their choice.

Adobe Captivate - The Go-To for our Recorded Webinar/Training Needs

What do you like best?

For us the text-to-speech has been huge. We have webinars we create where we walk through a whole Year-End process and trying to step through and normally record with your own voice is a challenge. Text-to-speech allows us to write scripts and dictate accurately and easily the steps with no mistakes. I also log the Quick feature as that has been used hundreds of times on employee trainings.

What do you dislike?

I would like to see Captivate be able to generate different outputs. There is SWF, HTML5, MP4 and the ability to upload to YouTube and these work great, as we typically use the SWF and embed into KB articles, but I would love to see the ability to create WAV or AVI files too. We have some customers that prefer that format.

What business problems are you solving? What benefits have you realized?

I've used Captivate to create Year-End webinars, new employee training, as well as several various client-face training materials. Creating these types of videos in-house not only has helped keep costs down but it allows us to provide content to our internal and external customers in a timely manner.

Tags

* We monitor all Adobe Captivate reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.
Would you like to receive more information about Adobe Captivate?