• I use this

Adobe Captivate

44 ratings
467.710
Compare Request a Demo
Author interactive eLearning and mLearning content. Easily create demos in HD, application simulations, and soft skills and compliance training.

Adobe Captivate Reviews (46 reviews)

• Interactivity, buttons, smart shapes, question slides, Read More
    0 fxi2tzv7z0z9r5iss o0trvgvycqj61ssl0ptr4yeunn6cxv grhfuukurgms3 nafd myofxif2
    Christine W.
    Internal Consultant in Professional Training & Coaching
  • Adobe Captivate give me and my team the ability to easily author a training videos that walk my users step-by-step through the use of my application while providing...Read More
    Angela M.
    Consultant in Information Technology and Services
G2 Crowd User: Trevor S.
Validated Review

Captivate - Use and functionality.

What do you like best?

The program is very intuitive and allows for a strong layering of effects, graphics, and outputs well. It handles all media typically used for computer based trainings, and the end result is high quality. Very easy program to learn quickly, and once the program is understood, is able to produce very complex interactions.

The ability to manage sound, timeline and other actions are very visible, and easy to follow.

What do you dislike?

The program has system lags at consistent areas, is not a good sound editor, and can be inconvenient to built complex animations. Not having an automatically setup backup function also can result in corrupted files when working on a network.

Planning for this is possible, but can be a hassle. Overall the program is fantastic to work with, but there are limitations in functions around the animation structure that could easily be addressed. Beyond that, it would be highly beneficial to have some more advanced sound staging and layering capabilities. Individual slides either have a master background track or one sound layer - I would suggest allowing for multiple sound layers as currently the program does not allow it..

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make the timeline structure for complex animations simpler to build together. Beyond that, it would be highly beneficial to have some more advanced sound staging and layering capabilities. Individual slides either have a master background track or one sound layer - I would suggest allowing for multiple sound layers.

What business problems are you solving? What benefits have you realized?

Trainings on complex topics, or experience based learning behaviors, software demonstrations, and updates to existing material. This program is used in place of holding trainings that would require a full class, but need to go more in-depth than a memo or announcement could handle.

G2 Crowd User: Sarah V.

Solid Adobe Product for Course Development and Publishing

What do you like best?

Captivate has LOTS of features. It looks and feels like the other Adobe products, and if someone is comfortable with the other Adobe products, navigation and general tool/function usage will be natural.

What do you dislike?

I felt a little overwhelmed while learning to use Captivate. If I'd had more experience with Adobe products, I think it would have been a much smoother transition, but I think the user interface is a little less intuitive than other products I've used for course development.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Captivate is a great product. I think the learning curve may be a little steeper than with other course development products, unless you've used other Adobe products. Published courses are simple to upload, use and support, and I think the published courses tend to look cleaner than some other course development software's output.

What business problems are you solving? What benefits have you realized?

I'm creating software system tutorials and reference material for a healthcare organization. Captivate was a great product to use to create impressive portfolio samples of e-learning modules, and was awesome in college, but my company uses another product in the HR department, and I was asked not to use Captivate despite having a license because they wanted to maintain the same look and feel. However, I do think that Captivate looks better as a published course than the product I'm currently using.

G2 Crowd User: Kathy M.

New User Success

What do you like best?

The ability to build my slide deck using different features. For example, I was able to build introductory slides then record a software simulation or video demo. I like that these entities are initially a separate file that I can edit and tweak, then copy into the master project.

The ease of including features that make the learning meet Section 508 standards for accessibility.

When I published the project, I could generate a PDF that was interactive. For my situation, this assisted in piloting the modules before they went live on the LMS site.

What do you dislike?

When I purchased Captivate 8, I had not used previous versions of Captivate. I felt the tutorials offered by Adobe for Captivate 8 assumed that the user had used previous versions of the product. This made the learning curve, when on a tight project schedule, difficult. The video tutorials that I did watch moved very quickly and were difficult to understand. I had to watch them multiple times.

When building and editing the deck, I used the accessibility features to meet Section 508 standards for accessibility. When previewing just one slide, I could not preview the closed-captioning timing; I had to preview at least five slides or the whole project.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are a new user of Adobe Captivate, you will want to purchase a good tutorial book to supplement what Adobe offers. I found a couple of good ones that ramped up my ability to use Captivate 8 pretty quickly. I purchased it in an e-book format which allowed me to search a feature I was trying to use and get immediate help.

What business problems are you solving? What benefits have you realized?

Re-designing and developing content for a MOOC to improve learner completion rate. Initially the MOOC content was heavy in text. The benefit to the learner is a higher level of interactivity with the learning content which will result in higher learner engagement. This should impact the successful accomplishment of the learning objectives and ultimately improve the overall MOOC completion rate.

G2 Crowd User: Anonymous
Validated Review

Flexible product with many options

What do you like best?

The program is fairly easy to use for simple projects like software demos or video tutorials, and is handy for creating custom tours of online courses at my university. I like that the program provides native support for PowerPoint and lets you customize on import, so you can go from a standard 4:3 to slides sized for delivery on an ipad, for example. I like that Adobe has started adding responsive elements as well, since most of what we create needs to be viewable on multiple devices.

What do you dislike?

I wish there were more options for adding interactions and objects, and would like to see Adobe offer more variety in pricing - currently I only use Captivate at work. Also, because Adobe is so weird about license sharing, I had to keep a second computer in my small office for 2 years just to use this product - I wasn't allowed to transfer the license to my primary desktop. When our university went to virtual machines, we couldn't include Adobe products for student use because of the licensing restrictions.

I'd love to see a community for Captivate that is as helpful and supportive as the ones out there for Articulate Storyline. I have never used Articulate, but their community helps give me ideas for projects to try in Captivate,

Recommendations to others considering the product

There may be better options out there for anyone interested in developing truly responsive designs - Captivate pays lip service to responsive designs but it is not yet fully integrated into the product. Also, look at Articulate Storyline as an alternative, and check out the Rapid eLearning blog created by Articulate community hosts.

What business problems are you solving? What benefits have you realized?

Some instructors like to provide a walk-through of their online course sites to help students learn their way around the system. I believe students who receive this kind of customized training are more likely to be successful in their courses. I also plan to use Captivate to create some custom training for faculty at my university, which will save time and staffing resources.

G2 Crowd User: Anonymous

Instructional Designer review of Adobe Captivate

What do you like best?

Captivate seems to do everything we need and syncs well with all our other systems (and Adobe products obviously). It's a very robust program.

What do you dislike?

Difficult to learn, not a super user-friendly interface. But if you're familiar with Adobe products you should have a smoother transition. There are just so many settings and menus and options it's difficult to learn from a layman's standpoint. I took 2 graduate level courses using the tool and I still feel like a novice. I've encountered small gliches in the publishing process that I simply wasn't able to fix (such as certain motions in screen captures showing very choppy / pixelated once published). The files produced are also very large which has resulted in some push-back from our eLearning team in using this tool too much.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take advantage of the 30 day trial to make sure you are comfortable using the tool before purchasing! Take advantage of Lynda.com and YouTube tutorials to learn the basics if you don't have someone to train you. There are also companies that conduct in person training though it can be expensive.

What business problems are you solving? What benefits have you realized?

We create training simulations for our internally built, proprietary systems. For products we purchase, training typically already exists. But for proprietary products we have to build our own training and Captivate has worked well for that. The only problem is that, when the system changes, the simulations have to change as well, which can be a time consuming process.

Interactivity
Various Assignment Formats
+ 5
Weigh in yourself!

Tags

* We monitor all Adobe Captivate reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.
Would you like to receive more information about Adobe Captivate?