Want to see who topped the 2019 Best Software Awards?

Adobe Captivate

3.8
(124 reviews)

Adobe Captivate is an author interactive eLearning and mLearning content. Easily create demos in HD, application simulations, and soft skills and compliance training.

Work for Adobe Captivate?

Learning about Captivate?

Adobe Captivate Reviews

Showing 128 Captivate reviews
Captivate review by Nick H.
Nick H.

"Steep Learning Curve"

What do you like best?

the software is one of the best when it comes to creating el elearning materials, the best thing is that it integrates itself well with existing powerpoint presentation and improve it. the auido and video options are really awesome including the text to speech service provided by neo speech. they also offer a free trial to test the software for a period of 30 days which can be helpful.

What do you dislike?

the program is extremely difficult to learn at the beginning. a newbie would find it really hard to learn the software which will take time unless he's familiar with a previous version of the software. the software is really heavy on small systems and needs a lot of resources to work fluently especially when you're working with video or audio recording. pricing of the software isn't cheap and small organisations won't be able to afford it. captivate won't allow you to edit fonts which is really pathetic. athe interface can be a little simpler and some quick access buttons can really save the time. captioning options in the captivate in really limited which can be frustrating. comparing with other Adobe software the options to resize and edit images is really limited when it comes to captivate. unlike other adobe products you wont be able to edit the interface in the captivate also the integration with other Adobe products are very limited.

Recommendations to others considering the product

i recommend you to take the trail provided by Adobe and decide for yourself.

create learning materials and presentations, it does the job efficiently but a bit time taking.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Adobe Captivate
Captivate review by Cynae T.
Cynae T.

"Good product but could use a refresh"

What do you like best?

I like the ability to create technology simulations fairly easily. I also like how Adobe moves the service to the cloud. It makes it easy to use the software on my home machine and the machine at work.

What do you dislike?

While I like the cloud features, there is not currently a cloud storage feature with the subscription. Because these projects often take up large amounts of space, it would be helpful to have a storage platform attached. So, though I can use the program at home and at work, it is not a seamless transition. I still must save the files elsewhere to be able to edit them on different machines.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Captivate is a great tool and of course should be in an instructional designer’s back pocket. It does have certain limitations as far user interactivity, but with a little creativity you can maneuver around that and still create an okay product. Captivate’s assessments and games are rather limited and do not provide for advanced customization/programming. Some of the add on packs are okay, but I prefer the appearance of the actors in Articulate because they appear more vibrant to me.

Business problems solved: creating learning platforms that go beyond the brick and mortar building, creating access for self-efficient avenues to knowledge, development, and success.

Benefits: decreases ILT workload by offering a different path to learning, more cost effective than hiring another trainer, offers an option to reach other learning modalities.

What Course Authoring solution do you use?

Captivate review by Tiffany P.
Tiffany P.

"I have been using Captivate for years"

What do you like best?

I have been using Captivate for quite a few years and I really like the application. I appreciate the ease of use and the new features with Captivate 2017 has made my work-life extremely easy. Captivate makes it very easy to take a PowerPoint presentation and turn it into a beautiful elearning tutorial in a short time.

What do you dislike?

The application tends to be a bit slow. I would love to have a cloud based version someday. The application does take up a lot of space on a regular PC. I have had a few issues with "fatal errors", but apart from that the application is a must have. I have used other authoring tools and Captivate works the best for me.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a shot, it is a great authoring tool.

I use Captivate to create ELearning tutorials such as compliance and other mandatory training's. When creating an elearning as a SCO the end user is unable to "scrub through" the tutorial if certain parameters are set in the file, which is a major benefit because we want end users to attend full training's.

Captivate review by Samantha L.
Samantha L.

"My Top Choice Systems Training"

What do you like best?

I love the way it does screen captures and how it allows you to manipulate or even fabricate actions and results. This is often necessary when developing in a test environment. You can even control mouse movement.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes I will get a slide in my filmstrip that is two shots in one, almost like a short video because Captivate took the shot in between screen transitions instead of after the transition was completed.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are making more than just short, simple videos for systems training, this is the one. The ability to manipulate the captures is wonderful. I have to fake things all the time and this lets me.

I use this to develop hands on systems training when no live environment is available to learners. I can build demos and hands on exercises and even score them if I want to.

Captivate review by Tatianna H.
Tatianna H.

"Adobe Captivate 8 Product and Performance Review"

What do you like best?

The capabilities of Captivate are exceptional for the tasks I needed to accomplish.

What do you dislike?

The product's complexity led to a steep learning curve and frustration when attempting to complete nearly any task. With all the functionality, the user has to have certain knowledge before being able to use the product to its full potential. I also disliked the limited save/export options for publishing. It is difficult to know what the best format is to publish on a website.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't be the only person to work with this product. Like anything else (but especially Captivate) it's easier to work through projects and understand what process needs to be done when there are at least two people handling the workload as well as helping each other to better understand how to effectively use the product. Also, do your research. Adobe isn't the best with support (like any major organization) and you have to rely on their documentation and user forums to get answers. Also, it's easier to find some help on older versions since they've been out longer. There are other alternatives to Adobe Captivate that are equally as good and not as expensive - at least up front - so weigh your options and make sure to have a solid understanding of the task you or your team plan to accomplish and do a comparative matrix to find the right product for you. Price isn't everything! Ease of use is often more valuable than the initial payment. If you buy a slightly less expensive product but have to put in 2 to 3 times the effort to complete the same tasks, it's not worth it.

Interactive video content for a learning/training website.

Captivate review by Robert B.
Robert B.

"Powerful, but not quick to use"

What do you like best?

I like that I can pretty much do whatever I can dream up with Captivate. It gives you tremendous control over every single element that's on the screen and has the ability to control even more with advanced actions, variables, and java script. I've never used Stroyline (Captivate's top competitor), but in my opinion, Captivate's user interface is clean and easy to navigate.

What do you dislike?

I've heard that the learning curve for getting up to speed with Storyline is much lower versus Captivate. Captivate is not always the most intuitive - you really have to tell is exactly what you want each object to do...there are very few things that have built in functionality. Everything is controlled through Advanced Actions, and it can get clunky, confusing, and time consuming. I hear Storyline lets you control all of an objects actions and conditions from a single panel.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be prepared to spend time learning the ins and outs of the system if you've never developed eLearning before.

Captivate lets instructional designers let their imaginations run wild when designing training interventions. With Captivate, you get to create truly interactive training - no more "click next to continue."

Captivate review by John F.
John F.

"Captivate what you see, for others to learn"

What do you like best?

I love how simple it is to get going! I thought this was going to require a class or some serious Googling to find answers on how to perform key functions. Not the case with Captivate! Adobe made this for the end user, not just for the professional that knows how to use Adobe products. Anyone can pick this up and get going within minutes. I love how easily laid out the options are and the ability to make it look great.

What do you dislike?

I do not like the cost. I understand this is an expensive application and Adobe is making their money back. No one is in business to give things away for free. But most companies in today's world will target a feature set for consumers and another for prosumers. Captivate has one version and that is all. Also with Adobe's changes to subscription based only, this makes previous owners a bit out on a ledge since we cannot get Captivate in the same subscription as Creative Cloud. That's dumb. No company should make a product that cannot be combined with others of their own products. BAD MOVE ADOBE!

Also, if you plan to make courses that require answering questions at the end to "pass", then strap in and get ready to study hard! This is not easy. It does require much more knowledge to get this done and is super tricky. Adobe leaves you on your own in this area, offering very little verbiage inside the application how to do it, and offer far less support over the phone to try and figure this out. You will find yourself researching how to do this.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't be scared, there is a lot that can be done, but you can start simple. WOrk your way up and gradually learn all the features.

We needed to show our customers short videos on how to use our system. We built a system for our customers to use, but how do you train over 4 thousand customers that all work from home around the planet? Well Captivate makes it super easy to accomplish! Record yourself performing whatever you want to show your customers, add your voice over the top explaining what you are doing and add some mouse movement gestures to make your video really stand out and look professional.

Captivate review by User in Financial Services

"Buggy, but there aren't many alternatives"

What do you like best?

I like the variety of output you can create, whether simulations, traditional self-paced instruction, or a flash video for the en user.

What do you dislike?

It does NOT play nicely with Windows 10. I've lost easily 300 hours of work, even when using 'save as' and naming my work in progress. While I should be able to recover Captivate files from the Cache, this only works about 40% of the time when using the two most recent versions of Captivate with Windows 10. My colleagues all have machines with Windows 7, so they have not experienced the multitude of problems I have with this product

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't use it with Windows 10! I wish my employer would allow designers to use Mac computers, as I do not have issues with this product's earlier version that I run on three Macs at home.

I create content in a corporate training environment

Captivate review by User

"Great software but takes a bit getting used to it"

What do you like best?

I like that the software is very robust and has a lot of features that you can add into any training course you are creating and a great variety of assessment question types.

What do you dislike?

I don't like that the software is not backwards compatible. Which means if you work with a team and one of you has a new version of the software, anything that they create cannot be opened or modified by anyone that hasn't upgraded to the new version. Also, if you open a captivate project with the newer version, it will then save it as the new version. the only workaround I have found is I must keep multiple versions of Captivate on my laptop until everyone upgrades. The software does use a lot of memory as well and tends to take awhile to open and close

Building robust online learning and with great assessments.

Captivate review by Jonathan S.
Jonathan S.

"Awesome Software"

What do you like best?

Adobe Captivate gives you the ability to create training videos on your computer/device to teach others how to do things. You can even show them how to do something and then make them do it afterward in order to continue on in the video.

What do you dislike?

I don't like the closed captioning feature. You have to manually add them into each slide. It would be nicer if the system could create a caption for you and then let you edit it (Similar to how YouTube and Camtasia does).

I am using Adobe Captivate to create training videos for our LMS (D2L Brightspace). I teach both students and faculty how to use each of tools inside of the Learning Environment.

Captivate review by William G.
William G.

"One of the Best Elearning tools"

What do you like best?

this is by far one of the most powerful E-learning software. it got so many features to edit images, effects, and music. it designs slides in HTML5 so that it will be compatible with every platform. it also integrates well with other Adobe products such as Photoshop for designing slides and later we could import it into Captivate to apply effects. the tool also contains powerful audio tools such as TExt to Speech service which is extremely natural sounds, also we can edit the audio file using audion parallelly saving us a lot of time. I also find the Geolocation option really helpful and unique feature of Adobe Captivate. its also extremely great tool when trying to build software based E-learning tools. it comes with a trial option to check out the provide so they can know what they are buying.

What do you dislike?

the User Interface is really not up to the mark. the pricing can be high and many users won't be able to afford this software. the software cna get really heavy and can hang your PC while handling large projects.

Recommendations to others considering the product

this is one of the greatest software produced when coming to building presentations, give them a try and choose for yourself.

Create tools and Presentation for learning

Captivate review by Maireanu M.
Maireanu M.

"Good integration and standards"

What do you like best?

Accessibility: It's easy to access on the mobile and tablet using the app, It has good browser support. Its SaaS and cloud based so that is a huge advantage. Offline access is another plus.

Interface: It’s modern and very intuitive, The single fluidic player for videos, docs and other content is a big plus.

Customization: The courses and content can be easily created and customized. It allows branding and color themes too.

Integration & Admin: It’s good that its SCORM and xAPI compliant and integration with external applications is good. FTP connections is a plus. Quick to publish as well.

What do you dislike?

Would be nice if it has internal conferencing integration instead of external integrations

Would have been nice to have more video tutorials on how to use the platform for different roles.

Accessibility and easy to manage.

Captivate review by Industry Analyst / Tech Writer
Industry Analyst / Tech Writer

"A Nice Demonstration Capturing Program"

What do you like best?

The program was quite easy to use. I was able to get started with a simulation quickly. I could edit the project and add voice over recording without struggling with a learning curve.

What do you dislike?

While the program can capture the screen movements and record an audio, it couldn't quite give me everything to create a great training video.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Very nice screen motion capturing program. The media is easy to edit and add audio clips.The simple design makes creating demonstration videos fun and stress-free.

I need to create demonstration videos of using our software products. I also need to be able to add voice instructions to the capture without worrying about where I am on the timeline. I can accomplish my goals with Captivate in the first phase of the project. I can then use the output to move it into a more robust video editing software to complete the video.

Captivate review by Varun S.
Varun S.

"Captivate Expert review"

What do you like best?

It has the capability to make quiz, presentations, capture screen and make video lectures. Along with the capability to align everything with a Learning management system makes it a good buy !

What do you dislike?

Sometimes slow to respond, needs time to understand all the features which are it's beauty.

Recommendations to others considering the product

worth a try. You won't know unless you try.

When i need to make presentations and quiz for people, i prefer captivate. It can be a good excercise for questions. The best thing is i don't need to keep a track of people and their scores. Linking it to the learning management system like blackboard simplifies my work. A software is only good as it's integration with the outside world and that's what i like about captivate. It is adaptive to all screens like laptop, mobile, tablet. It's capability of screen capture is a nice add on. After all it is a good elearning design software.

Captivate review by David T.
David T.

"An Instructional Design Tool I Can't Live Without"

What do you like best?

Adobe Captivate's features scale to the user's skill and desire of depth of customization. One could make a simple slideshow with a voice-over and publish in video form or one could create a highly interactive, custom-coded, and immersive SCORM or SAML unit with several programmed learning paths all available on mobile devices of different sizes and PC/Mac.

What do you dislike?

I would like to see the interface updated to a flat UI with much more modern animations without having to import from a custom flash object.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you can, get a Demo and try it out. It goes very well with any SCORM or SAML ready LMS and with the Subscription service, you get free updates each time they come out with one which is just about every year.

I utilize this as an instructional system designer to create courses while are delivered to the user via an LMS. Using SCORM reporting, thanks to Adobe Captivates ability to export in SCORM, we've been able to track problem areas in our courses by analyzing the usage data. This is a CPI that would not have otherwise been able to realize without utilizing a hearty instructional design tool.

Captivate review by Katie W.
Katie W.

"Glorified PowerPoint"

What do you like best?

I think that Adobe Captivate has a lot of great options for creating learning tools. It's simple to import PowerPoint presentations, it offers software simulation, and the multiple options to quiz the learners makes this program valuable for eLearning modules.

What do you dislike?

As someone that is very familiar and comfortable with vector based graphics (I primarily use Adobe Illustrator), I've had a hard transition to Adobe Captivate. The keyboard shortcuts are so different from the rest of the Adobe Suite, which can be frustrating after you've become adjusted and familiar to the other programs. High resolution pictures seem to lose quality after they're imported, and I run into technical issues most times I use the program (such as: freezing, having to force quit the program, etc). I would also like to see more options for the templates that are included in Captivate. There's no freedom to adjust/edit the existing themes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Captivate is great for creating elearning content. It has been difficult adjusting to how to use the program, and I have found myself googling tutorial after tutorial to find simple answers. However; moving forward, I think Captivate is headed in the right direction.

My organization was seeking ways to train our employees more efficiently as we grew at a rapid rate. We were finding that we simply couldn't keep up with the number of on-boarding employees. We are now implementing a LMS to train our employees independently. This program makes learning interactive, entertaining, and memorable.

Captivate review by John C.
John C.

"Great tool and easy to use"

What do you like best?

Captivate is so easy that anyone can pick it up without any prior training. If you are interested in creating rapid development courses such as those done with lectora or storyline this is a great tool to use.

What do you dislike?

I don't like the interface. Storyline uses a powerpoint type interface and lectora uses a similar one. Captivate has a more complicated interface that makes it harder to use. Also some LMS systems don't always correctly read the scorom files that are generated from captivate. Lastly, I am not a huge fan of it's character pack

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take a course and learn how to use it. I've noticed if you have previous experience with lectora and storyline it makes it a bit harder but still a decent program.

I needed to create courses for my company and this was the software they used.

Captivate review by Natasha O.
Natasha O.

"Captivate your Learners, but with restriction?"

What do you like best?

Captivate simplifies instructional design creation software with drag and drop features to place your learning activities where you'd like them, Timelines, integrated services and and templates set up for interface, gaming activities and quizzing.Captivate really allows you to get creative with your educational designs. Adobe softwares come with a community of creators and developers, so there is always help or tutorials online if you need help with a project.

What do you dislike?

There are not many options for pre-made interactions and publishing to a non-Adobe LMS site may take some extra steps if using this software. However, its very industry-forward and I have few other complaints.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Please consider this software if you are a fan of Adobe products or find them easy to learn. This is not the only instructional design authoring software available, but it is one of the most popular, so there are definitely great reasons to choose this software. These products are expensive, so first do your research.

Authoring instructional design modules for higher education courses.

Captivate review by Charles H.
Charles H.

"Clunky and Unstable"

What do you like best?

Compared to other tools like Oracle UPK and SAP Tutor, Captivate is cheap. And Captivate 9 has so many features that there is probably little that you can conceive of that can't be achieved using this tool. That's the good news. The bad news is that many of the functions are either challenging to deploy or don't work at all.

What do you dislike?

Where do I begin?

Captivate doesn't play nice with network drives, so the notion of team development goes out the window right off the bat. If you try to use Captivate on a network drive, your development will slow way down. I instruct all of my developers to create a directory on their local drive and upload finished content to a server.

The program will consume as much memory as you have and will cache so much garbage that it eats up disk space, as well. After a day of development, I cleared 10Gb from the cache. Very sloppy.

When recording simulations on ERP systems like SAP and Oracle, Captivate tends to miss quite a bit. This results in considerable rework. I am in the habit now of capturing extra screenshots, knowing that I will have to manually add in the steps that Captivate ignores.

There are many hidden limitations that you will only find out about when your project fails. For example, there is an upper limit to the size of video files you can deploy within a project. It isn't documented, but if you exceed that limit your project will either crash or your learners will sit while the project takes 15 minutes to load. Not good.

There is also an undocumented scripting language for creating outputs using Print (rather than Publish). Adobe doesn't publicize or promote this, but it is the only way to control what is actually output. There is a Captivate "underground" where you can find details about this language but there shouldn't have to be.

Finally, the program is very unstable. It frequently hangs or crashes. This can be particularly annoying when recording large, complex simulations.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Others have recommended starting with the 30-day free trial. This is good advice. You should know what you're getting into before taking the plunge.

I use Captivate to create demos, simulations, and documentation for ERP systems. When a client forgoes tools provided by their ERP vendor because of cost, Captivate is cheap alternative. Sometimes, however, you get what you pay for (or don't).

Captivate review by Jennifer Y.
Jennifer Y.

"Captivate for New Hire Training"

What do you like best?

Captivate is my go to tool when developing new software training but I have recently realized its power for New Hire training. Using Captivate, I am able to create a safe environment for New Hires to learn everything that they need to get started on the right foot. I've created Outlook Set-up training, Computer Security Training, Windows 365 Orientation, and so much more. Often people forget how intimidating starting a new job can be, especially when there are new computer systems to learn. By creating demonstrations and simulations for the New Hires to learn the in's and out's, you create confidence, reduce time required by other employees for training, and get the New Hires productive quickly.

What do you dislike?

Game interactivities are big in the online training industry. It would be nice if there were more ready-made options for games for those who are not "programmers."

Recommendations to others considering the product

There are great training videos on the Adobe website and in books by IconLogic. Make sure you take the time to learn the software before jumping in and developing. It will save a lot of headaches and extra work.

New Hire retention and time to competency. When the new hires are better trained to do their job they are more likely to stay.

Captivate review by Michael B.
Michael B.

"Like most Adobe products, there is a lot to love but a lot to be desired..."

What do you like best?

I love the enhancements made to newer versions. It's great that I can easily produce videos now, since that's the future of online learning. I love that I can create many different types of projects, including HTML 5 and responsive learning along with mobile learning. It has certainly come a long day since the old days.

What do you dislike?

It's clunky. It takes WAY too many resources, even on a Mac. The integration of PPT is horrible and doesn't allow for single slide editing on the Mac anymore, which I hate. I have to do the whole powerpoint which sometimes takes way too long to import after saving. Animations that are built in are horrible. The animation platform is bad, and the video timeline when editing CPVC files is very, very bad. I have to say there are so many things that would improve this product, but I still love it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try and hold out for a real cloud version that's part of the creative cloud. We have been asking forever, and hopefully Adobe will eventually listen to us.

We are creating responsive LMS projects in house without consultants, which is great and has saved us a lot of money. The only problem is that our LMS system doesn't like Captivate packages all that much, especially Flash based ones. I hope there is more to come in the future with HTML 5.

Captivate review by Benjamin S.
Benjamin S.

"Adobe Captivate Review"

What do you like best?

Lots of options available to customize your presentation, many different export options to various LMS

What do you dislike?

Major bugs with saving, huge memory hog, many of the issues that are reported are not fixed and moved into the next version which you have to pay for, support is a total joke as they are only able to advise that your issue is a known bug, software has a tendency to freeze during saving and sometimes will corrupt your file.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You may want to try some of the other types of leaning management creation software on the market before you settle on Captivate. I have used 3 different versions and Adobe does not seem to be fixing the major issues. I get the feeling that Captivate is the red headed step child in the Adobe family in that they don't care about it as much as other programs such as Photoshop.

Creating onsite customized training material for employees and vendors/contractors. Also a helpful tool for creating demo recordings to offsite locations that they can view at their leisure.

There are possibilities to create a demo system for your users to try out various scenarios in a safe environment instead of a live system. It takes a lot of time and patience but it is possible. You create the slides and use objects like buttons and quiz questions to assemble a sort of choose your adventure style platform.

Captivate review by User in Higher Education

"It is easy for IT people who do not have time. Reach out to tens of ppl at your dept."

What do you like best?

Adobe Captivate saves me time for my authoring work when I need to deal with e-learning content. As being the IT person in my department and a research assistant, I sometimes use it for demonstration of certain software that my department purchased.

What do you dislike?

FTP publishing is the worst feature of it. I am expected to take my time and change the address in the server folder so that I can publish my file. It is time consuming.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure that you have time to change your server address if you are working online and need to save the file to your office PC.

I use it for for software demonstration for over-aged professors.

Captivate review by Andrew G.
Andrew G.

"Simple elearning authoring for multiple devices"

What do you like best?

The newest Adobe Captivate upgrade makes it easy to design eLearning for multiple devices including desktop, laptop, tablets and mobile phones.

What do you dislike?

The software can be very slow - even with a computer that is top spec. This is something Adobe need to address.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Create some eye catching templates and guides before you start writing courses. Add high levels of interactivity.

We are able to create engaging elearning for our new Learning Management System. This allows us to offer more training to our employees.

Captivate review by User in Oil & Energy
User in Oil & Energy

"Excellent video software"

What do you like best?

I personally like the ability to import audio files to sync up with my video and manage them separately. I've used other editing software before that did not have this ability or actually required you to create the audio at the same time. You can also import video files from other sources so I can use multiple tools with different capabilities (if necessary) to get the job done.

What do you dislike?

I cannot record audio only to add as a layer to my video. I have to record all at once or use a different tool to record the audio and import it in.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The ability for Captivate to use many different platforms and file types makes it a great selection. If you can stay on top of the new features it helps. Very expensive, but you can really produce some quality material.

I'm using it to create how-to videos and along with GoAnimate we're creating infographics and training videos.

Captivate review by Laura A.
Laura A.

"Powerful but Clunky, with a Steep Learning Curve"

What do you like best?

I like using Captivate to create short, simple screencasts, simulations or training videos. You can quickly create screencasts and simple simulations with Captivate that make great quick references for employee training.

What do you dislike?

There are a lot of things I don't like about Captivate. This may be because I started using Articulate Storyline before I learned to use Captivate, and I find Captivate less intuitive. It's easy to learn how to develop simple simulations in Captivate, but if you want to develop courseware that's more engaging and interactive there's a steep learning curve and a fair amount of quirkiness. I also don't like that it takes up a lot of system resources, and that it presents a lot of issues when you use it in a team environment on a network.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely take advantage of the 30-day trial to ensure it meets your needs. I would also recommend giving your development team training and time to play around with Captivate and get familiar with its features and quirks. Also consider how you'll handle courseware review in a networked environment, and build that into your review process.

I've used it to create employee training and quick references. When using simulations, I'd suggest keeping them as short as possible.

Captivate review by Mason T.
Mason T.

"Captivate makes eLearning Development a breeze!"

What do you like best?

I truly enjoy the intuitive nature of the interface. It is extremely interactive and user friendly. Most eLearning development software seems clunky and the learning curve is steep. With Captivate you can step in as a rookie and feel confident in your ability to produce a high quality course.

What do you dislike?

The downside for me would be the functionality in specific quizzes like the matching style for instance. If there are more than 4 questions, navigating the editing controls can be tricky.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're looking to develop eLearning modules do yourself a favor and look no further.

The amount of time it takes to develop a course is greatly decrease while using captivate

Captivate review by Callista D.
Callista D.

"Serves a purpose"

What do you like best?

It is great for creating interactive media for HTML5. You can track user interaction with the SCORM feature. It's easy to make the media accessible (i.e. closed captioning).

What do you dislike?

I've experienced a lot of technical difficulty with complex actions. The UI is not the most intuitive. The animations are all pre-set. I have very little control over the animations...it's super limited. Hard to get used to having worked in After Effects so much.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't expect to able to animate like you would in After Effects. There is very little control over animation.

I use it to design interactive media for online educational courses. This software definitely helps us make our courses more engaging.

Captivate review by User in Government Administration
User in Government Administration

"Internal Trainer using captivate for software simulations"

What do you like best?

Captivate is excellent for creating walking through for new websites and/or software. Being able to use various modes such as simulation or being able to make the walk through interactive by having the end user complete a task to proceed with the training's. This allows us to know that they end user is listening and gaining valuable hands on training

What do you dislike?

The biggest problem I have noticed with Captivate is the lag time. It can be very slow when saving a project. It can also be very slow when opening or publishing projects as well. This can be critical when you are working on a deadline and are stuck unable to do anything because the program is slow.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Captivate can be useful if you are looking for a user friendly simulation and training software. Do your research you want to also look at your learning management system and ensure it is compatible with captivate.

Using captivate we can create and deliver to all our staff online Captivate has helped reduce our companies travel costs.

Captivate review by Consultant in E-Learning
Consultant in E-Learning

"Very powerful e-learning tool"

What do you like best?

I like best the reliability of Adobe Captivate if you work in different areas of e-learning. You can create software simulations supported by the style manager which helps saving a lot of rework. You can also built interactive courses by using the variety of commands of the clickbox.

What do you dislike?

Adobe Captivate is not so easy to learn. As a software coach I see that my learners sometimes have problems to find the useful solution because there are so many possibilities. It is really very difficult to use 99% of the Captivate power without external help or a lot of time for practicing. The easier it is to reach first results the more it gets difficult to get to the next level.

It is not possible to combine simple interactions and conditional interactions in one click.

The Microsoft PowerPoint import does not integrate the single elements of the PowerPoint. You can only rework the material with the existing PowerPoint file.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Adobe Captivate is a tool that will support you creating material in any way you want. You can create software simulations with already filled-in text captions or you can create very enhanced interactive content with variables and conditions.

If you need a rapid elearning tool to create content in different disciplines from quizzes to interactive slides Adobe Captivate is one of the best solutions on the market.

In very regular intervals there is a new version of Adobe Captivate which helps to have an up-to-date version. So Adobe Captivate is not a revolutionary application but a very evolutionary one.

My company has produced courses for software support, interactive health care courses, quizzes for an insurance company etc.. It has a huge advantage to create elearning in this all-in-one application because you can combine the content of simulations, interactions and quizzes.

Captivate review by Charity D.
Charity D.

"Pretty amazing, a classic Adobe product"

What do you like best?

Quick learning curve, lots of click and drag, defaults to most common preferences. Intuitive interface that doesn't require lots of guesswork.

What do you dislike?

Too many features, I don't have time to become a full-on video editor. Just need quick videos with audio. Wish I could tag videos for different types of users and manage my content more intelligently.

Recommendations to others considering the product

A "Cadillac" for video capture, but a bit of a dinosaur from the bygone days when you had to do all your video editing locally. I like simpler features and free web-based apps for quick on-the fly captures. Have been experimenting with capturing small tutorials and basical on-screen tasks with ViewEdit and getting good feedback from customers.

Training material, online documentation in a hosted webapp that is not compatible with many products, so I have to convert the video to a YouTube video first.

Captivate review by User in E-Learning
User in E-Learning

"Slow and Overly Complicated"

What do you like best?

The only thing that is worth doing in this software is capturing video demonstrations or simulations. This software is unique in its ease of use when capturing mouse clicks, screenshots, entering text into text fields, and other functions like that, and creating automatic action buttons from your mouse clicks to quickly make a software demonstration or simulation course.

What do you dislike?

Everything aside from the most basic of video demonstrations/simulations is not worth doing in Captivate if you have even the slightest bit of programming and video production knowledge. The drop-down menus required to add interactions are cumbersome to build and interactions cannot be repurposed. Video export settings are far too limited, resulting in subpar video quality. When trying to build anything at all beyond the pre-programmed interactions, Captivate fights you every step of the way.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Only purchase this software if no one on your team has any knowledge whatsoever of programming or video editing software, or if you are planning on doing exclusively software click-throughs or basic text and photo on a page style courses. If you want to attempt anything more than that, you will find yourself frustrated by the lack of options that Captivate offers you, and the cumbersome nature of "programming" in Captivate by clicking and selecting options from drop-down menus.

Captivate makes it easy for instructional designers with absolutely no knowledge of graphics or programming software to put together the most basic of demos and interactions.

Captivate review by Mohamed B.
Mohamed B.

"An advance version of powerpoint"

What do you like best?

I like that it has a combination of power-point and access functions. It's great software for education department. It's very easy to use to create amazing responsive eLearning courses, orientations, presentations, and also add quizzes. In addition, I like that it comes with options like recording audio, software simulation, video demo and more. Also, I like that it can be use for different kind of devices such as desktop, iPad and iPhone or any other phones.

What do you dislike?

Not suitable for fresh leaner

Requires training and tutorials to master the software

No conversation simulation tool

No editor available for editing video content

It can be crash at any moment

Recommendations to others considering the product

Adobe Captivate is great software especially for teachers because they can create amazing responsive eLearning courses. But they do need to take a lot of tutorial and lesson before using the program.

I'm using adobe captivate to create an orientation for my department where clients will complete their orientation instead of attend the webinar.

Captivate review by Administrator in Hospital & Health Care
Administrator in Hospital & Health Care

"One of my favorite ways to create instructional videos quickly and easily!"

What do you like best?

Ease of use when capturing and creating videos. The amount of options and how easy it is to correct your mouse clicks and/or frames.

What do you dislike?

the biggest issue I have is publishing the training videos in a format that anyone will be able to reach and view. They do not load up into the cloud software we use easily.

Creating instructional/training videos on how to utilize different functions of the cloud based software within our company. I have used this in a previous company and I truly liked how easily it was to create these types of videos. the benefits have been the ability to quickly produce these videos for rolling out new features or to help resolve issues/questions on software functionality for our users. I have now just started using this once again in my new company and once again, started to impress my co-workers with this.

Captivate review by User in Financial Services

"Captivate"

What do you like best?

Captivate allows developers a world of opportunities. There is not much that can't be done. Not a huge selection of templates or add ins - but I prefer to build my own or import from power point so not a huge issue. The option to choose between a simulation or a demonstration for recordings is great.

What do you dislike?

Support is poor. Can be difficult to learn. Slows computer down if working with captivate for extended period of time without clearing cache. If captivate acts up while in the middle of a project the file could get corrupted. Once corrupted, very difficult to restore.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Lynda.com has a ton of great courses to help new and experienced users learn the software.

Use to build e-learnings.

Captivate review by Thomas G.
Thomas G.

"Works for Me"

What do you like best?

The ability to publish to html5. Because I am required to add more characters, I've added this last sentence.

What do you dislike?

Changes in the UI to make the process easier for new users to understand, while undermining user efficiency. I hate the video screen recording, can't edit the video parts and they are big files.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Adobe and Storyline do the same things. I don't like Captivate's video screen capture for simulation, but I'm not sure is Storyline is any better. I do like Captivate for roll-overs, scenarios, and simulations that I build from scratch. Storyline is a third more expensive than Captivate. That is the primary reason I use Captivate over Storyline.

I use Captivate to teach software to end users. I use it to provide scenarios to support discussion in learning. I use it to support role-play.

Captivate review by Peter V.
Peter V.

"A love/hate relationship"

What do you like best?

I've been using Adobe Captivate since before Adobe owned it. I think it was version 2 I cut my teeth on, and back then, it was a basic, yet clever system for capturing and captioning "live" screens.

Now at version 9, this is probably the standard against which other (often cheaper and simpler) applications are judged.

The feature list is by far the most extensive I've come across. It's now possible to record a live screen application once, and then turn it into a system demonstration, an interactive "emulation" and a quiz. Soft skills /management training is now simpler than ever and, as well as the legacy Shockwave/Flash output that many corporates hate, Captivate now publishes to HTML5. And, most important of all, it's responsive, meaning that the output screen size recognises the screen it's being played on (tablet, smartphone, PC) and adapts accordingly.

What do you dislike?

Over the years, the feature list has developed, though so have the bugs. I (life all the users I know) have had experiences where a couple of days' work goes up in smoke with a file corruption. Or a feature that should work just refuses to do what Captivate says it will do.

I haven't yet used version 9 (I'm still on version 8, which, to be fair, seems to have ironed out many of the issues of previous versions, especially the famous versions 3 and 6). Colleagues on v9, however, tell me it's a worthwhile upgrade.

The other gripe is around cost. As a "one man band", and an occasional user, depending on my client's requirements, Captivate is expensive. A few years back, they started a monthly rolling license which, for me, made so much sense. I could "switch on" when I needed to use it, and "switch off" when that project ended. Now, however, the minimum contract period is a year, which for occasional users, makes the product more expensive.

Finally, and not just related to Captivate, is trying to get any sense from Adobe. Over the years, I've had conversations with so many of their product ambassadors and support people, and all of them have ended with me wondering how Adobe manages to survive!

Survive they do, though, and for serious elearning projects, Captivate must be considered. Nothing I've seen is quite as good, at least on a good day!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Easy to be productive with Captivate at a superficial level, and learn as you go is the best way to experience this powerful application.

ALWAYS make a back-up!

System demonstrations

Kiosk style application emulations

Quizzes (links to CMS databases - e.g. MOODLE)

Case-based elearning (branching scenarios for soft skills/management skills etc)

Captivate review by Administrator in Higher Education
Administrator in Higher Education

"Captivate 9: A 9 out of 10"

What do you like best?

Adobe Captivate 9 allows for a quick and efficient workflow when creating interactive projects. The UI is easy to understand and clean, making navigation easy. The available tool set allows for a wide variety of interactive elements, allowing students to interact with content in endless ways.

What do you dislike?

There are a few aspects of Captivate that seem inconsistent. Specifically, layout and image handling can get a bit unruly. This is especially true on responsive projects.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Test the trial version against other software with a specific project in mind. Depending on the specific need of your project, Captivate may be a great solution. There is very little it can't do, but there may be certain tasks that it does not do easily.

We are able to successfully create engaging learning experiences that can be validated through reporting and tracking of student success. Using Captivate has helped us reach students more efficiently and improve educational design through data analysis.

Captivate review by Victoria L.
Victoria L.

"Not quite user friendly "

What do you like best?

I like that it has some resemblance with all the Adobe products

What do you dislike?

It is really complicated. I’m used to work in Artixulate storyline and in Captivate it was just hard to build some more advanced quizzes. And it was really hard to trick it to work the way I needed it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are used to work with PowerPoint, Captivate is not that intuitive or similar to it. However it can be lear

I’m building online trainings for nurses. Our university provides online studying and it’s really helpful for students who don’t have a lot of time.

Captivate review by Loreli S.
Loreli S.

"Great product, but takes a bit to get used to the features"

What do you like best?

You are able to create a presentation from scratch or upload a prior presentation

What do you dislike?

When the program is removed from your computer, you lose the ability to view any projects that you have created. You can only view your project when you have the program.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider the problem that you are attempting to solve and if Adobe Captivate is the best alternative. it takes a bit of time to learn how to use the program successfully and I had to watch a few hours of tutorials to be able to create a successful project.

Solving training issues within the business to make it more interactive for employees to enhance retention and participation.

Captivate review by Marissa D.
Marissa D.

"Time-consuming and clunky"

What do you like best?

Captivate has many abilities that other Adobe software does not. I used it to create tutorials for onboarding, and the ability to choose from hundreds of built-in photos and characters saved me a lot of time.

What do you dislike?

Images lose definition when inserted. I can't begin to count the hours I spent trying to work out kinks and avoid glitches. The program froze and crashed dozens of times, at least once per use.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Plan to spend a LOT of time discovering the software and what makes it "tick". I wasted entire days trying to get certain features to work and watching Captivate crash over and over.

Captivate allowed us to move several onboarding processes from in-person to digital.

Captivate review by Tracy F.
Tracy F.

"Captivate is the eas(e) of easy"

What do you like best?

I love the fact that you can record a procedure one time and produce three types of training outputs: training (tell/show), simulation (do), and assessment (quiz). I like the ease of editing the recordings. I love the Import features; especially PowerPoint and previous quiz questions (reusable resources are always a plus for saving time). I love I can set the input and output settings (and adjust) at anytime but for the most part keep the settings consistent for a smooth input and perfect output every time. The settings allow for many types of compatibilities with end user's set-ups. Storyboarding is

What do you dislike?

It takes a bit (a long bit) to get the input and output settings customized to publish for various sources/formats. Having some templates for this would be great (for basic formats) rather than the default it comes with.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't be intimidated. This product is very user friendly, allows for all sorts of designs, and produces a wide range of formats. Since this is an adobe product, any experience you have with adobe will add to how well you adjust to Captivate. Most of the tools (icons) are recognizable throughout many of adobe's products.

Business problems revolve around the advancing of technology and keeping everything compatible (kind of like when Captivate was not compatible with Apple sources). Every time something new comes out (which is often), or an upgrade is implemented (which is often, since we are barely catching up to Windows/Microsoft revisions), I have to retest the outputs and make sure it is still running (or not) smoothly for the end-users. I really find the ability to adjust the settings in Captivate to republish a compatible product when these changes warrant a revision in the training.

Captivate review by Alex R.
Alex R.

"Adobe Captivate: The Good, the bad and the ugly"

What do you like best?

Adobe is a solid company with decent customer support. If you can use other Adobe products you are in pretty good stead in starting Captivate. I also liked the educational pricing for Captivate vs. some of the other products I looked it. I think oftentimes companies forget that many of the people who buy their software are not necessarily professional designers, but teachers designing for themselves. Captivate was not cheap, but a better deal than others.

What do you dislike?

It is very quirky, and is not tremendously intuitive (unless, again, you use lots of other Adobe software, or if you have a guide on how to use it handy (or a lynda.com subscription). It is difficult to export your file into a usable and sharable format. You also have to have serious knowledge of your courseware to integrate it. Hard to set up quizzes that auto-grade.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get a good tutorial or pay for professional development for those who will be designing with it.

I am a teacher, so my Captivate creations are for my students. I have done Captivate lessons on Pearl Harbor and a few other history topics. Students seem to appreciate them. It is relatively easy to set up information in a power-point esque style, but going beyond that requires more training.

Captivate review by Aaron A.
Aaron A.

"An Excellent Authoring Tool"

What do you like best?

Captivate continues to improve with each new version. While it is still lacking some functionality with respect to quizzing/assessments, video usage, and other similar details, overall it is an excellent well-rounded tool. It has a variety of options to customize and enhance e-Learning, which make it an appropriate choice for large and small scale operations.

What do you dislike?

As one of the larger and more popular e-Learning software products on the market, it is also relatively expensive (compared to some of the smaller, lesser known products). Similar to Storyline, if you have a large company, the price is reduced considerably and makes it a very cost-effective tool. However, for smaller companies or individuals, depending on budget you may look for more cost-effective alternatives.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Captivate is one of the better products on the market and depending on your company size and budget, may be an appropriate choice. It has a wide-range of features that are comparable to most quality authoring tools on the market and should certainly be in contention for anyone considering a new authoring tool for e-Learning purposes.

Effective e-Learning module creation for a small bank chain.

Captivate review by Sarah V.
Sarah V.

"Solid Adobe Product for Course Development and Publishing"

What do you like best?

Captivate has LOTS of features. It looks and feels like the other Adobe products, and if someone is comfortable with the other Adobe products, navigation and general tool/function usage will be natural.

What do you dislike?

I felt a little overwhelmed while learning to use Captivate. If I'd had more experience with Adobe products, I think it would have been a much smoother transition, but I think the user interface is a little less intuitive than other products I've used for course development.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Captivate is a great product. I think the learning curve may be a little steeper than with other course development products, unless you've used other Adobe products. Published courses are simple to upload, use and support, and I think the published courses tend to look cleaner than some other course development software's output.

I'm creating software system tutorials and reference material for a healthcare organization. Captivate was a great product to use to create impressive portfolio samples of e-learning modules, and was awesome in college, but my company uses another product in the HR department, and I was asked not to use Captivate despite having a license because they wanted to maintain the same look and feel. However, I do think that Captivate looks better as a published course than the product I'm currently using.

Captivate review by Brett M.
Brett M.

"Adobe Captivate - Creative Director Review"

What do you like best?

It allows for non-designers like ISDs to create interactive components within an interface that is not totally foreign to them.

What do you dislike?

The way that motion paths and animation in general is controlled is non-intuitive, rudimentary, and lacking in customization and settings. Also, older versions have problems with HTML5 compatibility and embedding video. The way that advanced actions and variables are treated as well is very buggy and non-intuitive when compared to if/else statements.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For rapid authoring Captivate and Storyline are the industry leaders, they are the most full-featured and accessible and the learning curve is reasonable for an instructional designer and very easy for a graphic/interactive designer.

Captivate is used on my team to rapidly develop eLearning projects with a team of non-skilled designers. it is basic and has enough presets and precanned options that an instructional designer can develop in the software.

Captivate review by Trevor S.
Trevor S.

"Captivate - Use and functionality."

What do you like best?

The program is very intuitive and allows for a strong layering of effects, graphics, and outputs well. It handles all media typically used for computer based trainings, and the end result is high quality. Very easy program to learn quickly, and once the program is understood, is able to produce very complex interactions.

The ability to manage sound, timeline and other actions are very visible, and easy to follow.

What do you dislike?

The program has system lags at consistent areas, is not a good sound editor, and can be inconvenient to built complex animations. Not having an automatically setup backup function also can result in corrupted files when working on a network.

Planning for this is possible, but can be a hassle. Overall the program is fantastic to work with, but there are limitations in functions around the animation structure that could easily be addressed. Beyond that, it would be highly beneficial to have some more advanced sound staging and layering capabilities. Individual slides either have a master background track or one sound layer - I would suggest allowing for multiple sound layers as currently the program does not allow it..

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make the timeline structure for complex animations simpler to build together. Beyond that, it would be highly beneficial to have some more advanced sound staging and layering capabilities. Individual slides either have a master background track or one sound layer - I would suggest allowing for multiple sound layers.

Trainings on complex topics, or experience based learning behaviors, software demonstrations, and updates to existing material. This program is used in place of holding trainings that would require a full class, but need to go more in-depth than a memo or announcement could handle.

Captivate review by User

"Easy to record software simulations, lengthy to edit"

What do you like best?

It is very quick and easy to record software simulations, and it doesn't take a lot of time to learn how to use the software. You can copy sections for use later on if needed.

What do you dislike?

Editing can be quite lengthy if you want to add or remove something from every frame

We are using Adobe Captivate to provide e-learning sessions which would be difficult and costly to do in person. It's a very effective way of providing training / software demos.

Captivate review by Stephane B.
Stephane B.

"Professional grade software demonstration and tutorial authoring tool. "

What do you like best?

The editing features and capability make possible to rapidly edit / build professional looking software demonstration, walk-trough and tutorial. The additional assets and text-to-voice feature set allow to create professional soundtrack using computer generated voices and automatic written transcript text-to-speech authoring,

What do you dislike?

Can be quite demanding in term of computer resources such as CPU and memory, but the power delivered is worth it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Not the right tool for occasional screen-capture office user, but the best enterprise class software demo and learning management solution on the market today.

HD quality, enterprise class, professional grade interactive demo and screen capture authoring.

Captivate review by Ken T.
Ken T.

"eLearning leader"

What do you like best?

I've been using Captivate since version 1 and enjoy how dynamic it is to use. You can create engaging eLearning classes and presentations that are professional. I really enjoy being able to use all types of media (photos, video, audio and animation) to make my classes pop!

What do you dislike?

Quiz creator could be better. Here is where I think other competitor software is much better.

Software simulations and captured exercises for our clients.

Learning about Adobe Captivate?

* We monitor all Adobe Captivate reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.