Adobe Captivate

Adobe Captivate is an author interactive eLearning and mLearning content. Easily create demos in HD, application simulations, and soft skills and compliance training.

Work for Adobe Captivate?

Learning about Captivate?

Adobe Captivate Reviews

Request More Information
Showing 120 Captivate reviews
Captivate review by Nick H.
Nick H.

"Steep Learning Curve"

What do you like best?

the software is one of the best when it comes to creating el elearning materials, the best thing is that it integrates itself well with existing powerpoint presentation and improve it. the auido and video options are really awesome including the text to speech service provided by neo speech. they also offer a free trial to test the software for a period of 30 days which can be helpful.

What do you dislike?

the program is extremely difficult to learn at the beginning. a newbie would find it really hard to learn the software which will take time unless he's familiar with a previous version of the software. the software is really heavy on small systems and needs a lot of resources to work fluently especially when you're working with video or audio recording. pricing of the software isn't cheap and small organisations won't be able to afford it. captivate won't allow you to edit fonts which is really pathetic. athe interface can be a little simpler and some quick access buttons can really save the time. captioning options in the captivate in really limited which can be frustrating. comparing with other Adobe software the options to resize and edit images is really limited when it comes to captivate. unlike other adobe products you wont be able to edit the interface in the captivate also the integration with other Adobe products are very limited.

Recommendations to others considering the product

i recommend you to take the trail provided by Adobe and decide for yourself.

create learning materials and presentations, it does the job efficiently but a bit time taking.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Adobe Captivate
Captivate review by Cynae T.
Cynae T.

"Good product but could use a refresh"

What do you like best?

I like the ability to create technology simulations fairly easily. I also like how Adobe moves the service to the cloud. It makes it easy to use the software on my home machine and the machine at work.

What do you dislike?

While I like the cloud features, there is not currently a cloud storage feature with the subscription. Because these projects often take up large amounts of space, it would be helpful to have a storage platform attached. So, though I can use the program at home and at work, it is not a seamless transition. I still must save the files elsewhere to be able to edit them on different machines.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Captivate is a great tool and of course should be in an instructional designer’s back pocket. It does have certain limitations as far user interactivity, but with a little creativity you can maneuver around that and still create an okay product. Captivate’s assessments and games are rather limited and do not provide for advanced customization/programming. Some of the add on packs are okay, but I prefer the appearance of the actors in Articulate because they appear more vibrant to me.

Business problems solved: creating learning platforms that go beyond the brick and mortar building, creating access for self-efficient avenues to knowledge, development, and success.

Benefits: decreases ILT workload by offering a different path to learning, more cost effective than hiring another trainer, offers an option to reach other learning modalities.

What Course Authoring solution do you use?

Captivate review by Tiffany P.
Tiffany P.

"I have been using Captivate for years"

What do you like best?

I have been using Captivate for quite a few years and I really like the application. I appreciate the ease of use and the new features with Captivate 2017 has made my work-life extremely easy. Captivate makes it very easy to take a PowerPoint presentation and turn it into a beautiful elearning tutorial in a short time.

What do you dislike?

The application tends to be a bit slow. I would love to have a cloud based version someday. The application does take up a lot of space on a regular PC. I have had a few issues with "fatal errors", but apart from that the application is a must have. I have used other authoring tools and Captivate works the best for me.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a shot, it is a great authoring tool.

I use Captivate to create ELearning tutorials such as compliance and other mandatory training's. When creating an elearning as a SCO the end user is unable to "scrub through" the tutorial if certain parameters are set in the file, which is a major benefit because we want end users to attend full training's.

Captivate review by Samantha L.
Samantha L.

"My Top Choice Systems Training"

What do you like best?

I love the way it does screen captures and how it allows you to manipulate or even fabricate actions and results. This is often necessary when developing in a test environment. You can even control mouse movement.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes I will get a slide in my filmstrip that is two shots in one, almost like a short video because Captivate took the shot in between screen transitions instead of after the transition was completed.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are making more than just short, simple videos for systems training, this is the one. The ability to manipulate the captures is wonderful. I have to fake things all the time and this lets me.

I use this to develop hands on systems training when no live environment is available to learners. I can build demos and hands on exercises and even score them if I want to.

Captivate review by Tatianna H.
Tatianna H.

"Adobe Captivate 8 Product and Performance Review"

What do you like best?

The capabilities of Captivate are exceptional for the tasks I needed to accomplish.

What do you dislike?

The product's complexity led to a steep learning curve and frustration when attempting to complete nearly any task. With all the functionality, the user has to have certain knowledge before being able to use the product to its full potential. I also disliked the limited save/export options for publishing. It is difficult to know what the best format is to publish on a website.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't be the only person to work with this product. Like anything else (but especially Captivate) it's easier to work through projects and understand what process needs to be done when there are at least two people handling the workload as well as helping each other to better understand how to effectively use the product. Also, do your research. Adobe isn't the best with support (like any major organization) and you have to rely on their documentation and user forums to get answers. Also, it's easier to find some help on older versions since they've been out longer. There are other alternatives to Adobe Captivate that are equally as good and not as expensive - at least up front - so weigh your options and make sure to have a solid understanding of the task you or your team plan to accomplish and do a comparative matrix to find the right product for you. Price isn't everything! Ease of use is often more valuable than the initial payment. If you buy a slightly less expensive product but have to put in 2 to 3 times the effort to complete the same tasks, it's not worth it.

Interactive video content for a learning/training website.

Captivate review by John F.
John F.

"Captivate what you see, for others to learn"

What do you like best?

I love how simple it is to get going! I thought this was going to require a class or some serious Googling to find answers on how to perform key functions. Not the case with Captivate! Adobe made this for the end user, not just for the professional that knows how to use Adobe products. Anyone can pick this up and get going within minutes. I love how easily laid out the options are and the ability to make it look great.

What do you dislike?

I do not like the cost. I understand this is an expensive application and Adobe is making their money back. No one is in business to give things away for free. But most companies in today's world will target a feature set for consumers and another for prosumers. Captivate has one version and that is all. Also with Adobe's changes to subscription based only, this makes previous owners a bit out on a ledge since we cannot get Captivate in the same subscription as Creative Cloud. That's dumb. No company should make a product that cannot be combined with others of their own products. BAD MOVE ADOBE!

Also, if you plan to make courses that require answering questions at the end to "pass", then strap in and get ready to study hard! This is not easy. It does require much more knowledge to get this done and is super tricky. Adobe leaves you on your own in this area, offering very little verbiage inside the application how to do it, and offer far less support over the phone to try and figure this out. You will find yourself researching how to do this.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't be scared, there is a lot that can be done, but you can start simple. WOrk your way up and gradually learn all the features.

We needed to show our customers short videos on how to use our system. We built a system for our customers to use, but how do you train over 4 thousand customers that all work from home around the planet? Well Captivate makes it super easy to accomplish! Record yourself performing whatever you want to show your customers, add your voice over the top explaining what you are doing and add some mouse movement gestures to make your video really stand out and look professional.

Captivate review by Jonathan S.
Jonathan S.

"Awesome Software"

What do you like best?

Adobe Captivate gives you the ability to create training videos on your computer/device to teach others how to do things. You can even show them how to do something and then make them do it afterward in order to continue on in the video.

What do you dislike?

I don't like the closed captioning feature. You have to manually add them into each slide. It would be nicer if the system could create a caption for you and then let you edit it (Similar to how YouTube and Camtasia does).

I am using Adobe Captivate to create training videos for our LMS (D2L Brightspace). I teach both students and faculty how to use each of tools inside of the Learning Environment.

Captivate review by William G.
William G.

"One of the Best Elearning tools"

What do you like best?

this is by far one of the most powerful E-learning software. it got so many features to edit images, effects, and music. it designs slides in HTML5 so that it will be compatible with every platform. it also integrates well with other Adobe products such as Photoshop for designing slides and later we could import it into Captivate to apply effects. the tool also contains powerful audio tools such as TExt to Speech service which is extremely natural sounds, also we can edit the audio file using audion parallelly saving us a lot of time. I also find the Geolocation option really helpful and unique feature of Adobe Captivate. its also extremely great tool when trying to build software based E-learning tools. it comes with a trial option to check out the provide so they can know what they are buying.

What do you dislike?

the User Interface is really not up to the mark. the pricing can be high and many users won't be able to afford this software. the software cna get really heavy and can hang your PC while handling large projects.

Recommendations to others considering the product

this is one of the greatest software produced when coming to building presentations, give them a try and choose for yourself.

Create tools and Presentation for learning

Captivate review by Industry Analyst / Tech Writer
Industry Analyst / Tech Writer

"A Nice Demonstration Capturing Program"

What do you like best?

The program was quite easy to use. I was able to get started with a simulation quickly. I could edit the project and add voice over recording without struggling with a learning curve.

What do you dislike?

While the program can capture the screen movements and record an audio, it couldn't quite give me everything to create a great training video.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Very nice screen motion capturing program. The media is easy to edit and add audio clips.The simple design makes creating demonstration videos fun and stress-free.

I need to create demonstration videos of using our software products. I also need to be able to add voice instructions to the capture without worrying about where I am on the timeline. I can accomplish my goals with Captivate in the first phase of the project. I can then use the output to move it into a more robust video editing software to complete the video.

Captivate review by Varun S.
Varun S.

"Captivate Expert review"

What do you like best?

It has the capability to make quiz, presentations, capture screen and make video lectures. Along with the capability to align everything with a Learning management system makes it a good buy !

What do you dislike?

Sometimes slow to respond, needs time to understand all the features which are it's beauty.

Recommendations to others considering the product

worth a try. You won't know unless you try.

When i need to make presentations and quiz for people, i prefer captivate. It can be a good excercise for questions. The best thing is i don't need to keep a track of people and their scores. Linking it to the learning management system like blackboard simplifies my work. A software is only good as it's integration with the outside world and that's what i like about captivate. It is adaptive to all screens like laptop, mobile, tablet. It's capability of screen capture is a nice add on. After all it is a good elearning design software.

Captivate review by David T.
David T.

"An Instructional Design Tool I Can't Live Without"

What do you like best?

Adobe Captivate's features scale to the user's skill and desire of depth of customization. One could make a simple slideshow with a voice-over and publish in video form or one could create a highly interactive, custom-coded, and immersive SCORM or SAML unit with several programmed learning paths all available on mobile devices of different sizes and PC/Mac.

What do you dislike?

I would like to see the interface updated to a flat UI with much more modern animations without having to import from a custom flash object.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you can, get a Demo and try it out. It goes very well with any SCORM or SAML ready LMS and with the Subscription service, you get free updates each time they come out with one which is just about every year.

I utilize this as an instructional system designer to create courses while are delivered to the user via an LMS. Using SCORM reporting, thanks to Adobe Captivates ability to export in SCORM, we've been able to track problem areas in our courses by analyzing the usage data. This is a CPI that would not have otherwise been able to realize without utilizing a hearty instructional design tool.

Captivate review by Katie W.
Katie W.

"Glorified PowerPoint"

What do you like best?

I think that Adobe Captivate has a lot of great options for creating learning tools. It's simple to import PowerPoint presentations, it offers software simulation, and the multiple options to quiz the learners makes this program valuable for eLearning modules.

What do you dislike?

As someone that is very familiar and comfortable with vector based graphics (I primarily use Adobe Illustrator), I've had a hard transition to Adobe Captivate. The keyboard shortcuts are so different from the rest of the Adobe Suite, which can be frustrating after you've become adjusted and familiar to the other programs. High resolution pictures seem to lose quality after they're imported, and I run into technical issues most times I use the program (such as: freezing, having to force quit the program, etc). I would also like to see more options for the templates that are included in Captivate. There's no freedom to adjust/edit the existing themes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Captivate is great for creating elearning content. It has been difficult adjusting to how to use the program, and I have found myself googling tutorial after tutorial to find simple answers. However; moving forward, I think Captivate is headed in the right direction.

My organization was seeking ways to train our employees more efficiently as we grew at a rapid rate. We were finding that we simply couldn't keep up with the number of on-boarding employees. We are now implementing a LMS to train our employees independently. This program makes learning interactive, entertaining, and memorable.

Captivate review by John C.
John C.

"Great tool and easy to use"

What do you like best?

Captivate is so easy that anyone can pick it up without any prior training. If you are interested in creating rapid development courses such as those done with lectora or storyline this is a great tool to use.

What do you dislike?

I don't like the interface. Storyline uses a powerpoint type interface and lectora uses a similar one. Captivate has a more complicated interface that makes it harder to use. Also some LMS systems don't always correctly read the scorom files that are generated from captivate. Lastly, I am not a huge fan of it's character pack

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take a course and learn how to use it. I've noticed if you have previous experience with lectora and storyline it makes it a bit harder but still a decent program.

I needed to create courses for my company and this was the software they used.

Captivate review by NM O.
NM O.

"Captivate your Learners, but with restriction?"

What do you like best?

Captivate simplifies instructional design creation software with drag and drop features to place your learning activities where you'd like them, Timelines, integrated services and and templates set up for interface, gaming activities and quizzing.Captivate really allows you to get creative with your educational designs. Adobe softwares come with a community of creators and developers, so there is always help or tutorials online if you need help with a project.

What do you dislike?

There are not many options for pre-made interactions and publishing to a non-Adobe LMS site may take some extra steps if using this software. However, its very industry-forward and I have few other complaints.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Please consider this software if you are a fan of Adobe products or find them easy to learn. This is not the only instructional design authoring software available, but it is one of the most popular, so there are definitely great reasons to choose this software. These products are expensive, so first do your research.

Authoring instructional design modules for higher education courses.

Captivate review by Charles H.
Charles H.

"Clunky and Unstable"

What do you like best?

Compared to other tools like Oracle UPK and SAP Tutor, Captivate is cheap. And Captivate 9 has so many features that there is probably little that you can conceive of that can't be achieved using this tool. That's the good news. The bad news is that many of the functions are either challenging to deploy or don't work at all.

What do you dislike?

Where do I begin?

Captivate doesn't play nice with network drives, so the notion of team development goes out the window right off the bat. If you try to use Captivate on a network drive, your development will slow way down. I instruct all of my developers to create a directory on their local drive and upload finished content to a server.

The program will consume as much memory as you have and will cache so much garbage that it eats up disk space, as well. After a day of development, I cleared 10Gb from the cache. Very sloppy.

When recording simulations on ERP systems like SAP and Oracle, Captivate tends to miss quite a bit. This results in considerable rework. I am in the habit now of capturing extra screenshots, knowing that I will have to manually add in the steps that Captivate ignores.

There are many hidden limitations that you will only find out about when your project fails. For example, there is an upper limit to the size of video files you can deploy within a project. It isn't documented, but if you exceed that limit your project will either crash or your learners will sit while the project takes 15 minutes to load. Not good.

There is also an undocumented scripting language for creating outputs using Print (rather than Publish). Adobe doesn't publicize or promote this, but it is the only way to control what is actually output. There is a Captivate "underground" where you can find details about this language but there shouldn't have to be.

Finally, the program is very unstable. It frequently hangs or crashes. This can be particularly annoying when recording large, complex simulations.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Others have recommended starting with the 30-day free trial. This is good advice. You should know what you're getting into before taking the plunge.

I use Captivate to create demos, simulations, and documentation for ERP systems. When a client forgoes tools provided by their ERP vendor because of cost, Captivate is cheap alternative. Sometimes, however, you get what you pay for (or don't).

Captivate review by Jennifer Y.
Jennifer Y.

"Captivate for New Hire Training"

What do you like best?

Captivate is my go to tool when developing new software training but I have recently realized its power for New Hire training. Using Captivate, I am able to create a safe environment for New Hires to learn everything that they need to get started on the right foot. I've created Outlook Set-up training, Computer Security Training, Windows 365 Orientation, and so much more. Often people forget how intimidating starting a new job can be, especially when there are new computer systems to learn. By creating demonstrations and simulations for the New Hires to learn the in's and out's, you create confidence, reduce time required by other employees for training, and get the New Hires productive quickly.

What do you dislike?

Game interactivities are big in the online training industry. It would be nice if there were more ready-made options for games for those who are not "programmers."

Recommendations to others considering the product

There are great training videos on the Adobe website and in books by IconLogic. Make sure you take the time to learn the software before jumping in and developing. It will save a lot of headaches and extra work.

New Hire retention and time to competency. When the new hires are better trained to do their job they are more likely to stay.

Captivate review by Michael B.
Michael B.

"Like most Adobe products, there is a lot to love but a lot to be desired..."

What do you like best?

I love the enhancements made to newer versions. It's great that I can easily produce videos now, since that's the future of online learning. I love that I can create many different types of projects, including HTML 5 and responsive learning along with mobile learning. It has certainly come a long day since the old days.

What do you dislike?

It's clunky. It takes WAY too many resources, even on a Mac. The integration of PPT is horrible and doesn't allow for single slide editing on the Mac anymore, which I hate. I have to do the whole powerpoint which sometimes takes way too long to import after saving. Animations that are built in are horrible. The animation platform is bad, and the video timeline when editing CPVC files is very, very bad. I have to say there are so many things that would improve this product, but I still love it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try and hold out for a real cloud version that's part of the creative cloud. We have been asking forever, and hopefully Adobe will eventually listen to us.

We are creating responsive LMS projects in house without consultants, which is great and has saved us a lot of money. The only problem is that our LMS system doesn't like Captivate packages all that much, especially Flash based ones. I hope there is more to come in the future with HTML 5.

Captivate review by Benjamin S.
Benjamin S.

"Adobe Captivate Review"

What do you like best?

Lots of options available to customize your presentation, many different export options to various LMS

What do you dislike?

Major bugs with saving, huge memory hog, many of the issues that are reported are not fixed and moved into the next version which you have to pay for, support is a total joke as they are only able to advise that your issue is a known bug, software has a tendency to freeze during saving and sometimes will corrupt your file.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You may want to try some of the other types of leaning management creation software on the market before you settle on Captivate. I have used 3 different versions and Adobe does not seem to be fixing the major issues. I get the feeling that Captivate is the red headed step child in the Adobe family in that they don't care about it as much as other programs such as Photoshop.

Creating onsite customized training material for employees and vendors/contractors. Also a helpful tool for creating demo recordings to offsite locations that they can view at their leisure.

There are possibilities to create a demo system for your users to try out various scenarios in a safe environment instead of a live system. It takes a lot of time and patience but it is possible. You create the slides and use objects like buttons and quiz questions to assemble a sort of choose your adventure style platform.

Captivate review by Andrew G.
Andrew G.

"Simple elearning authoring for multiple devices"

What do you like best?

The newest Adobe Captivate upgrade makes it easy to design eLearning for multiple devices including desktop, laptop, tablets and mobile phones.

What do you dislike?

The software can be very slow - even with a computer that is top spec. This is something Adobe need to address.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Create some eye catching templates and guides before you start writing courses. Add high levels of interactivity.

We are able to create engaging elearning for our new Learning Management System. This allows us to offer more training to our employees.

Captivate review by User in Oil & Energy
User in Oil & Energy

"Excellent video software"

What do you like best?

I personally like the ability to import audio files to sync up with my video and manage them separately. I've used other editing software before that did not have this ability or actually required you to create the audio at the same time. You can also import video files from other sources so I can use multiple tools with different capabilities (if necessary) to get the job done.

What do you dislike?

I cannot record audio only to add as a layer to my video. I have to record all at once or use a different tool to record the audio and import it in.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The ability for Captivate to use many different platforms and file types makes it a great selection. If you can stay on top of the new features it helps. Very expensive, but you can really produce some quality material.

I'm using it to create how-to videos and along with GoAnimate we're creating infographics and training videos.

Captivate review by Laura A.
Laura A.

"Powerful but Clunky, with a Steep Learning Curve"

What do you like best?

I like using Captivate to create short, simple screencasts, simulations or training videos. You can quickly create screencasts and simple simulations with Captivate that make great quick references for employee training.

What do you dislike?

There are a lot of things I don't like about Captivate. This may be because I started using Articulate Storyline before I learned to use Captivate, and I find Captivate less intuitive. It's easy to learn how to develop simple simulations in Captivate, but if you want to develop courseware that's more engaging and interactive there's a steep learning curve and a fair amount of quirkiness. I also don't like that it takes up a lot of system resources, and that it presents a lot of issues when you use it in a team environment on a network.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely take advantage of the 30-day trial to ensure it meets your needs. I would also recommend giving your development team training and time to play around with Captivate and get familiar with its features and quirks. Also consider how you'll handle courseware review in a networked environment, and build that into your review process.

I've used it to create employee training and quick references. When using simulations, I'd suggest keeping them as short as possible.

Captivate review by Mason T.
Mason T.

"Captivate makes eLearning Development a breeze!"

What do you like best?

I truly enjoy the intuitive nature of the interface. It is extremely interactive and user friendly. Most eLearning development software seems clunky and the learning curve is steep. With Captivate you can step in as a rookie and feel confident in your ability to produce a high quality course.

What do you dislike?

The downside for me would be the functionality in specific quizzes like the matching style for instance. If there are more than 4 questions, navigating the editing controls can be tricky.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're looking to develop eLearning modules do yourself a favor and look no further.

The amount of time it takes to develop a course is greatly decrease while using captivate

Captivate review by Callista D.
Callista D.

"Serves a purpose"

What do you like best?

It is great for creating interactive media for HTML5. You can track user interaction with the SCORM feature. It's easy to make the media accessible (i.e. closed captioning).

What do you dislike?

I've experienced a lot of technical difficulty with complex actions. The UI is not the most intuitive. The animations are all pre-set. I have very little control over the animations...it's super limited. Hard to get used to having worked in After Effects so much.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't expect to able to animate like you would in After Effects. There is very little control over animation.

I use it to design interactive media for online educational courses. This software definitely helps us make our courses more engaging.

Captivate review by User in Government Administration
User in Government Administration

"Internal Trainer using captivate for software simulations"

What do you like best?

Captivate is excellent for creating walking through for new websites and/or software. Being able to use various modes such as simulation or being able to make the walk through interactive by having the end user complete a task to proceed with the training's. This allows us to know that they end user is listening and gaining valuable hands on training

What do you dislike?

The biggest problem I have noticed with Captivate is the lag time. It can be very slow when saving a project. It can also be very slow when opening or publishing projects as well. This can be critical when you are working on a deadline and are stuck unable to do anything because the program is slow.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Captivate can be useful if you are looking for a user friendly simulation and training software. Do your research you want to also look at your learning management system and ensure it is compatible with captivate.

Using captivate we can create and deliver to all our staff online Captivate has helped reduce our companies travel costs.

Captivate review by Consultant in E-Learning
Consultant in E-Learning

"Very powerful e-learning tool"

What do you like best?

I like best the reliability of Adobe Captivate if you work in different areas of e-learning. You can create software simulations supported by the style manager which helps saving a lot of rework. You can also built interactive courses by using the variety of commands of the clickbox.

What do you dislike?

Adobe Captivate is not so easy to learn. As a software coach I see that my learners sometimes have problems to find the useful solution because there are so many possibilities. It is really very difficult to use 99% of the Captivate power without external help or a lot of time for practicing. The easier it is to reach first results the more it gets difficult to get to the next level.

It is not possible to combine simple interactions and conditional interactions in one click.

The Microsoft PowerPoint import does not integrate the single elements of the PowerPoint. You can only rework the material with the existing PowerPoint file.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Adobe Captivate is a tool that will support you creating material in any way you want. You can create software simulations with already filled-in text captions or you can create very enhanced interactive content with variables and conditions.

If you need a rapid elearning tool to create content in different disciplines from quizzes to interactive slides Adobe Captivate is one of the best solutions on the market.

In very regular intervals there is a new version of Adobe Captivate which helps to have an up-to-date version. So Adobe Captivate is not a revolutionary application but a very evolutionary one.

My company has produced courses for software support, interactive health care courses, quizzes for an insurance company etc.. It has a huge advantage to create elearning in this all-in-one application because you can combine the content of simulations, interactions and quizzes.

Captivate review by Charity D.
Charity D.

"Pretty amazing, a classic Adobe product"

What do you like best?

Quick learning curve, lots of click and drag, defaults to most common preferences. Intuitive interface that doesn't require lots of guesswork.

What do you dislike?

Too many features, I don't have time to become a full-on video editor. Just need quick videos with audio. Wish I could tag videos for different types of users and manage my content more intelligently.

Recommendations to others considering the product

A "Cadillac" for video capture, but a bit of a dinosaur from the bygone days when you had to do all your video editing locally. I like simpler features and free web-based apps for quick on-the fly captures. Have been experimenting with capturing small tutorials and basical on-screen tasks with ViewEdit and getting good feedback from customers.

Training material, online documentation in a hosted webapp that is not compatible with many products, so I have to convert the video to a YouTube video first.

Captivate review by User in E-Learning
User in E-Learning

"Slow and Overly Complicated"

What do you like best?

The only thing that is worth doing in this software is capturing video demonstrations or simulations. This software is unique in its ease of use when capturing mouse clicks, screenshots, entering text into text fields, and other functions like that, and creating automatic action buttons from your mouse clicks to quickly make a software demonstration or simulation course.

What do you dislike?

Everything aside from the most basic of video demonstrations/simulations is not worth doing in Captivate if you have even the slightest bit of programming and video production knowledge. The drop-down menus required to add interactions are cumbersome to build and interactions cannot be repurposed. Video export settings are far too limited, resulting in subpar video quality. When trying to build anything at all beyond the pre-programmed interactions, Captivate fights you every step of the way.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Only purchase this software if no one on your team has any knowledge whatsoever of programming or video editing software, or if you are planning on doing exclusively software click-throughs or basic text and photo on a page style courses. If you want to attempt anything more than that, you will find yourself frustrated by the lack of options that Captivate offers you, and the cumbersome nature of "programming" in Captivate by clicking and selecting options from drop-down menus.

Captivate makes it easy for instructional designers with absolutely no knowledge of graphics or programming software to put together the most basic of demos and interactions.

Captivate review by Mohamed B.
Mohamed B.

"An advance version of powerpoint"

What do you like best?

I like that it has a combination of power-point and access functions. It's great software for education department. It's very easy to use to create amazing responsive eLearning courses, orientations, presentations, and also add quizzes. In addition, I like that it comes with options like recording audio, software simulation, video demo and more. Also, I like that it can be use for different kind of devices such as desktop, iPad and iPhone or any other phones.

What do you dislike?

Not suitable for fresh leaner

Requires training and tutorials to master the software

No conversation simulation tool

No editor available for editing video content

It can be crash at any moment

Recommendations to others considering the product

Adobe Captivate is great software especially for teachers because they can create amazing responsive eLearning courses. But they do need to take a lot of tutorial and lesson before using the program.

I'm using adobe captivate to create an orientation for my department where clients will complete their orientation instead of attend the webinar.

Captivate review by Administrator in Hospital & Health Care
Administrator in Hospital & Health Care

"One of my favorite ways to create instructional videos quickly and easily!"

What do you like best?

Ease of use when capturing and creating videos. The amount of options and how easy it is to correct your mouse clicks and/or frames.

What do you dislike?

the biggest issue I have is publishing the training videos in a format that anyone will be able to reach and view. They do not load up into the cloud software we use easily.

Creating instructional/training videos on how to utilize different functions of the cloud based software within our company. I have used this in a previous company and I truly liked how easily it was to create these types of videos. the benefits have been the ability to quickly produce these videos for rolling out new features or to help resolve issues/questions on software functionality for our users. I have now just started using this once again in my new company and once again, started to impress my co-workers with this.

Captivate review by User in Financial Services

"Captivate"

What do you like best?

Captivate allows developers a world of opportunities. There is not much that can't be done. Not a huge selection of templates or add ins - but I prefer to build my own or import from power point so not a huge issue. The option to choose between a simulation or a demonstration for recordings is great.

What do you dislike?

Support is poor. Can be difficult to learn. Slows computer down if working with captivate for extended period of time without clearing cache. If captivate acts up while in the middle of a project the file could get corrupted. Once corrupted, very difficult to restore.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Lynda.com has a ton of great courses to help new and experienced users learn the software.

Use to build e-learnings.

Captivate review by Thomas G.
Thomas G.

"Works for Me"

What do you like best?

The ability to publish to html5. Because I am required to add more characters, I've added this last sentence.

What do you dislike?

Changes in the UI to make the process easier for new users to understand, while undermining user efficiency. I hate the video screen recording, can't edit the video parts and they are big files.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Adobe and Storyline do the same things. I don't like Captivate's video screen capture for simulation, but I'm not sure is Storyline is any better. I do like Captivate for roll-overs, scenarios, and simulations that I build from scratch. Storyline is a third more expensive than Captivate. That is the primary reason I use Captivate over Storyline.

I use Captivate to teach software to end users. I use it to provide scenarios to support discussion in learning. I use it to support role-play.

Captivate review by Peter V.
Peter V.

"A love/hate relationship"

What do you like best?

I've been using Adobe Captivate since before Adobe owned it. I think it was version 2 I cut my teeth on, and back then, it was a basic, yet clever system for capturing and captioning "live" screens.

Now at version 9, this is probably the standard against which other (often cheaper and simpler) applications are judged.

The feature list is by far the most extensive I've come across. It's now possible to record a live screen application once, and then turn it into a system demonstration, an interactive "emulation" and a quiz. Soft skills /management training is now simpler than ever and, as well as the legacy Shockwave/Flash output that many corporates hate, Captivate now publishes to HTML5. And, most important of all, it's responsive, meaning that the output screen size recognises the screen it's being played on (tablet, smartphone, PC) and adapts accordingly.

What do you dislike?

Over the years, the feature list has developed, though so have the bugs. I (life all the users I know) have had experiences where a couple of days' work goes up in smoke with a file corruption. Or a feature that should work just refuses to do what Captivate says it will do.

I haven't yet used version 9 (I'm still on version 8, which, to be fair, seems to have ironed out many of the issues of previous versions, especially the famous versions 3 and 6). Colleagues on v9, however, tell me it's a worthwhile upgrade.

The other gripe is around cost. As a "one man band", and an occasional user, depending on my client's requirements, Captivate is expensive. A few years back, they started a monthly rolling license which, for me, made so much sense. I could "switch on" when I needed to use it, and "switch off" when that project ended. Now, however, the minimum contract period is a year, which for occasional users, makes the product more expensive.

Finally, and not just related to Captivate, is trying to get any sense from Adobe. Over the years, I've had conversations with so many of their product ambassadors and support people, and all of them have ended with me wondering how Adobe manages to survive!

Survive they do, though, and for serious elearning projects, Captivate must be considered. Nothing I've seen is quite as good, at least on a good day!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Easy to be productive with Captivate at a superficial level, and learn as you go is the best way to experience this powerful application.

ALWAYS make a back-up!

System demonstrations

Kiosk style application emulations

Quizzes (links to CMS databases - e.g. MOODLE)

Case-based elearning (branching scenarios for soft skills/management skills etc)

Administrator in Higher Education

"Captivate 9: A 9 out of 10"

What do you like best?

Adobe Captivate 9 allows for a quick and efficient workflow when creating interactive projects. The UI is easy to understand and clean, making navigation easy. The available tool set allows for a wide variety of interactive elements, allowing students to interact with content in endless ways.

What do you dislike?

There are a few aspects of Captivate that seem inconsistent. Specifically, layout and image handling can get a bit unruly. This is especially true on responsive projects.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Test the trial version against other software with a specific project in mind. Depending on the specific need of your project, Captivate may be a great solution. There is very little it can't do, but there may be certain tasks that it does not do easily.

We are able to successfully create engaging learning experiences that can be validated through reporting and tracking of student success. Using Captivate has helped us reach students more efficiently and improve educational design through data analysis.

Captivate review by Victoria L.
Victoria L.

"Not quite user friendly "

What do you like best?

I like that it has some resemblance with all the Adobe products

What do you dislike?

It is really complicated. I’m used to work in Artixulate storyline and in Captivate it was just hard to build some more advanced quizzes. And it was really hard to trick it to work the way I needed it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are used to work with PowerPoint, Captivate is not that intuitive or similar to it. However it can be lear

I’m building online trainings for nurses. Our university provides online studying and it’s really helpful for students who don’t have a lot of time.

Captivate review by Loreli S.
Loreli S.

"Great product, but takes a bit to get used to the features"

What do you like best?

You are able to create a presentation from scratch or upload a prior presentation

What do you dislike?

When the program is removed from your computer, you lose the ability to view any projects that you have created. You can only view your project when you have the program.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider the problem that you are attempting to solve and if Adobe Captivate is the best alternative. it takes a bit of time to learn how to use the program successfully and I had to watch a few hours of tutorials to be able to create a successful project.

Solving training issues within the business to make it more interactive for employees to enhance retention and participation.

Captivate review by Marissa D.
Marissa D.

"Time-consuming and clunky"

What do you like best?

Captivate has many abilities that other Adobe software does not. I used it to create tutorials for onboarding, and the ability to choose from hundreds of built-in photos and characters saved me a lot of time.

What do you dislike?

Images lose definition when inserted. I can't begin to count the hours I spent trying to work out kinks and avoid glitches. The program froze and crashed dozens of times, at least once per use.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Plan to spend a LOT of time discovering the software and what makes it "tick". I wasted entire days trying to get certain features to work and watching Captivate crash over and over.

Captivate allowed us to move several onboarding processes from in-person to digital.

Captivate review by Tracy F.
Tracy F.

"Captivate is the eas(e) of easy"

What do you like best?

I love the fact that you can record a procedure one time and produce three types of training outputs: training (tell/show), simulation (do), and assessment (quiz). I like the ease of editing the recordings. I love the Import features; especially PowerPoint and previous quiz questions (reusable resources are always a plus for saving time). I love I can set the input and output settings (and adjust) at anytime but for the most part keep the settings consistent for a smooth input and perfect output every time. The settings allow for many types of compatibilities with end user's set-ups. Storyboarding is

What do you dislike?

It takes a bit (a long bit) to get the input and output settings customized to publish for various sources/formats. Having some templates for this would be great (for basic formats) rather than the default it comes with.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't be intimidated. This product is very user friendly, allows for all sorts of designs, and produces a wide range of formats. Since this is an adobe product, any experience you have with adobe will add to how well you adjust to Captivate. Most of the tools (icons) are recognizable throughout many of adobe's products.

Business problems revolve around the advancing of technology and keeping everything compatible (kind of like when Captivate was not compatible with Apple sources). Every time something new comes out (which is often), or an upgrade is implemented (which is often, since we are barely catching up to Windows/Microsoft revisions), I have to retest the outputs and make sure it is still running (or not) smoothly for the end-users. I really find the ability to adjust the settings in Captivate to republish a compatible product when these changes warrant a revision in the training.

Captivate review by Alex R.
Alex R.

"Adobe Captivate: The Good, the bad and the ugly"

What do you like best?

Adobe is a solid company with decent customer support. If you can use other Adobe products you are in pretty good stead in starting Captivate. I also liked the educational pricing for Captivate vs. some of the other products I looked it. I think oftentimes companies forget that many of the people who buy their software are not necessarily professional designers, but teachers designing for themselves. Captivate was not cheap, but a better deal than others.

What do you dislike?

It is very quirky, and is not tremendously intuitive (unless, again, you use lots of other Adobe software, or if you have a guide on how to use it handy (or a lynda.com subscription). It is difficult to export your file into a usable and sharable format. You also have to have serious knowledge of your courseware to integrate it. Hard to set up quizzes that auto-grade.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get a good tutorial or pay for professional development for those who will be designing with it.

I am a teacher, so my Captivate creations are for my students. I have done Captivate lessons on Pearl Harbor and a few other history topics. Students seem to appreciate them. It is relatively easy to set up information in a power-point esque style, but going beyond that requires more training.

Captivate review by Aaron A.
Aaron A.

"An Excellent Authoring Tool"

What do you like best?

Captivate continues to improve with each new version. While it is still lacking some functionality with respect to quizzing/assessments, video usage, and other similar details, overall it is an excellent well-rounded tool. It has a variety of options to customize and enhance e-Learning, which make it an appropriate choice for large and small scale operations.

What do you dislike?

As one of the larger and more popular e-Learning software products on the market, it is also relatively expensive (compared to some of the smaller, lesser known products). Similar to Storyline, if you have a large company, the price is reduced considerably and makes it a very cost-effective tool. However, for smaller companies or individuals, depending on budget you may look for more cost-effective alternatives.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Captivate is one of the better products on the market and depending on your company size and budget, may be an appropriate choice. It has a wide-range of features that are comparable to most quality authoring tools on the market and should certainly be in contention for anyone considering a new authoring tool for e-Learning purposes.

Effective e-Learning module creation for a small bank chain.

Captivate review by Sarah V.
Sarah V.

"Solid Adobe Product for Course Development and Publishing"

What do you like best?

Captivate has LOTS of features. It looks and feels like the other Adobe products, and if someone is comfortable with the other Adobe products, navigation and general tool/function usage will be natural.

What do you dislike?

I felt a little overwhelmed while learning to use Captivate. If I'd had more experience with Adobe products, I think it would have been a much smoother transition, but I think the user interface is a little less intuitive than other products I've used for course development.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Captivate is a great product. I think the learning curve may be a little steeper than with other course development products, unless you've used other Adobe products. Published courses are simple to upload, use and support, and I think the published courses tend to look cleaner than some other course development software's output.

I'm creating software system tutorials and reference material for a healthcare organization. Captivate was a great product to use to create impressive portfolio samples of e-learning modules, and was awesome in college, but my company uses another product in the HR department, and I was asked not to use Captivate despite having a license because they wanted to maintain the same look and feel. However, I do think that Captivate looks better as a published course than the product I'm currently using.

Captivate review by Brett M.
Brett M.

"Adobe Captivate - Creative Director Review"

What do you like best?

It allows for non-designers like ISDs to create interactive components within an interface that is not totally foreign to them.

What do you dislike?

The way that motion paths and animation in general is controlled is non-intuitive, rudimentary, and lacking in customization and settings. Also, older versions have problems with HTML5 compatibility and embedding video. The way that advanced actions and variables are treated as well is very buggy and non-intuitive when compared to if/else statements.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For rapid authoring Captivate and Storyline are the industry leaders, they are the most full-featured and accessible and the learning curve is reasonable for an instructional designer and very easy for a graphic/interactive designer.

Captivate is used on my team to rapidly develop eLearning projects with a team of non-skilled designers. it is basic and has enough presets and precanned options that an instructional designer can develop in the software.

Captivate review by Trevor S.
Trevor S.

"Captivate - Use and functionality."

What do you like best?

The program is very intuitive and allows for a strong layering of effects, graphics, and outputs well. It handles all media typically used for computer based trainings, and the end result is high quality. Very easy program to learn quickly, and once the program is understood, is able to produce very complex interactions.

The ability to manage sound, timeline and other actions are very visible, and easy to follow.

What do you dislike?

The program has system lags at consistent areas, is not a good sound editor, and can be inconvenient to built complex animations. Not having an automatically setup backup function also can result in corrupted files when working on a network.

Planning for this is possible, but can be a hassle. Overall the program is fantastic to work with, but there are limitations in functions around the animation structure that could easily be addressed. Beyond that, it would be highly beneficial to have some more advanced sound staging and layering capabilities. Individual slides either have a master background track or one sound layer - I would suggest allowing for multiple sound layers as currently the program does not allow it..

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make the timeline structure for complex animations simpler to build together. Beyond that, it would be highly beneficial to have some more advanced sound staging and layering capabilities. Individual slides either have a master background track or one sound layer - I would suggest allowing for multiple sound layers.

Trainings on complex topics, or experience based learning behaviors, software demonstrations, and updates to existing material. This program is used in place of holding trainings that would require a full class, but need to go more in-depth than a memo or announcement could handle.

"Versatile E-learning Software"

What do you like best?

The capture feature is simple and easy to use. Definitely, something a new user can pick up in a matter of minutes.

What do you dislike?

Uses a large amount of your RAM. It is a powerful software which is great, but it makes it hard to use other programs simultaneously.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a great tool that allows you to capture, create, and manage your e-learning courses. Fantastic tool with endless capabilities.

This allows us to provide training videos and interactive quizzes for our clients.

Captivate review by User

"Easy to record software simulations, lengthy to edit"

What do you like best?

It is very quick and easy to record software simulations, and it doesn't take a lot of time to learn how to use the software. You can copy sections for use later on if needed.

What do you dislike?

Editing can be quite lengthy if you want to add or remove something from every frame

We are using Adobe Captivate to provide e-learning sessions which would be difficult and costly to do in person. It's a very effective way of providing training / software demos.

Captivate review by User in Higher Education

"It is easy for IT people who do not have time. Reach out to tens of ppl at your dept."

What do you like best?

Adobe Captivate saves me time for my authoring work when I need to deal with e-learning content. As being the IT person in my department and a research assistant, I sometimes use it for demonstration of certain software that my department purchased.

What do you dislike?

FTP publishing is the worst feature of it. I am expected to take my time and change the address in the server folder so that I can publish my file. It is time consuming.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure that you have time to change your server address if you are working online and need to save the file to your office PC.

I use it for for software demonstration for over-aged professors.

Captivate review by Stephane B.
Stephane B.

"Professional grade software demonstration and tutorial authoring tool. "

What do you like best?

The editing features and capability make possible to rapidly edit / build professional looking software demonstration, walk-trough and tutorial. The additional assets and text-to-voice feature set allow to create professional soundtrack using computer generated voices and automatic written transcript text-to-speech authoring,

What do you dislike?

Can be quite demanding in term of computer resources such as CPU and memory, but the power delivered is worth it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Not the right tool for occasional screen-capture office user, but the best enterprise class software demo and learning management solution on the market today.

HD quality, enterprise class, professional grade interactive demo and screen capture authoring.

Captivate review by Ken T.
Ken T.

"eLearning leader"

What do you like best?

I've been using Captivate since version 1 and enjoy how dynamic it is to use. You can create engaging eLearning classes and presentations that are professional. I really enjoy being able to use all types of media (photos, video, audio and animation) to make my classes pop!

What do you dislike?

Quiz creator could be better. Here is where I think other competitor software is much better.

Software simulations and captured exercises for our clients.

Captivate review by Administrator in E-Learning
Administrator in E-Learning

"Ultimate eLearning Creation Tool"

What do you like best?

Captivate has the ability to create virtually anything you need to publish in most any format. Its extensive set of tools and its ability to easily interface with apps in the Adobe Creative Cloud make it ideal for professional course creators.

What do you dislike?

Easy - it is not part of the Adobe Creative Cloud, which makes purchasing it for teams to be very difficult

Recommendations to others considering the product

Captivate has a moderate learning curve, and be sure to read help guides as some tasks are not clear in the menus.

It is not a part of the Adobe Creative Cloud, which is a major irritant.

We create eLearning and all our developers use this tool. The courses we create and publish with Captivate always work on whatever LMS our clients have.

Captivate review by Administrator in Computer Software

"Captivate works well for interactive training courses"

What do you like best?

It's mostly easy to use. I like that you can have two instances open at once to copy and paste between projects

What do you dislike?

I don't like that you can't enlarge the thumbnails. I also don't like that it all of a sudden stopped letting me capture software on m y local VM

We are using it for interactive training for our users. Our users like that it's interactive. It helps them learn how to use the software better

Captivate review by Scott H.
Scott H.

"Captivate works"

What do you like best?

Everything is done with a simple, point-and-click interface.

What do you dislike?

Not that flexible beyond the point-and-click interface.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Once you get through the learning curve, it is a good tool.

Captivate helps me create immersive training presentations on my own.

Captivate review by Kathy M.
Kathy M.

"New User Success"

What do you like best?

The ability to build my slide deck using different features. For example, I was able to build introductory slides then record a software simulation or video demo. I like that these entities are initially a separate file that I can edit and tweak, then copy into the master project.

The ease of including features that make the learning meet Section 508 standards for accessibility.

When I published the project, I could generate a PDF that was interactive. For my situation, this assisted in piloting the modules before they went live on the LMS site.

What do you dislike?

When I purchased Captivate 8, I had not used previous versions of Captivate. I felt the tutorials offered by Adobe for Captivate 8 assumed that the user had used previous versions of the product. This made the learning curve, when on a tight project schedule, difficult. The video tutorials that I did watch moved very quickly and were difficult to understand. I had to watch them multiple times.

When building and editing the deck, I used the accessibility features to meet Section 508 standards for accessibility. When previewing just one slide, I could not preview the closed-captioning timing; I had to preview at least five slides or the whole project.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are a new user of Adobe Captivate, you will want to purchase a good tutorial book to supplement what Adobe offers. I found a couple of good ones that ramped up my ability to use Captivate 8 pretty quickly. I purchased it in an e-book format which allowed me to search a feature I was trying to use and get immediate help.

Re-designing and developing content for a MOOC to improve learner completion rate. Initially the MOOC content was heavy in text. The benefit to the learner is a higher level of interactivity with the learning content which will result in higher learner engagement. This should impact the successful accomplishment of the learning objectives and ultimately improve the overall MOOC completion rate.

Captivate review by Gabriel W.
Gabriel W.

"E-Learning Creation for All"

What do you like best?

Captivate is quick to learn and fun to master.

What do you dislike?

It does take some time and effort to make all eLearning perfectly responsive and mobile friendly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Interested organizations should consider if the price of the subscription is worth it for you. If the program will be used often, then it's worth it. If not, maybe consider another program.

Training hundreds of individuals around the country online and on-demand.

Captivate review by Jeffrey D.
Jeffrey D.

"Always Seems a LIttle Less User Friendly"

What do you like best?

This is a powerful program, it's got lots of good features, they've made several significant improvements over time, and it's where I learned to do screen capture videos for software training.

What do you dislike?

That said, it's always seemed a little harder to figure out than similar products by their competitors.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Nice product, but consider others as well

NOTE to company who puts this together: I'd put in the screen shot but I have switched computers recently at work and Captivate is still on my old computer, whereas I am writing this on my new computer.

Creation of training materials for customers who buy our LMS, for customers looking to buy e-learning courses, and for promotional/informational material on our blog.

Captivate review by Megan M.
Megan M.

"Captivate: A limitless limited tool"

What do you like best?

Captivate offers a courseware author a lot of freedom. On first glance it would seem you can do almost anything with it.

What do you dislike?

Despite having many versions under their belt, Adobe still puts out Captivate chalk full of bugs and strange limits (or atleast, what seems like limits). For example, hiding question buttons on a slide until you want them to show proves nearly impossible (without some fancy effects). In the newest version, features will sometimes even disappear from the panels and you have to close out of Captivate entirely in order to get them back. Typically this will happen if you switch an object to a new type (i.e. a smart shape to a button) the features for the new type don't always show. Hyperlinks to documents will also revert/disappear, making it seem as though you cannot change them, and the only solution again is to close out of captivate and open it back up again.

Newer versions also have bugs when opening older slides (for example, a runtime error that occurs if you had built a slide such that a widget that exists above a flash file in a timeline. You have to open it in a new version, change the order and re-save, in order to open it. Weird.) Having said all of this, I've yet to come accross an authoring product that doesn't have bugs. I think I just suspect more from Adobe.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't shy away from the product just because it is powerful nor because it has bugs. Evaluate it based on what it CAN do for you that you need. Then, hit the blogs and forums for the specific version you are considering to get a feel for the kinds of glitches you may face so that you are prepared for them, and can establish some best practices to avoid any that you can.

Adobe has an amazing support community of users, not just the company themselves. Typically, if you want something solved, the users should be the people you go to.

In addition to being able to build more custom courseware, Captivate supports Scorm content and has some ability to even support xAPI (without any access to context, though). It has responsive design but you really have to know the different sizes of your content, because in between the sizes your design can get a little mangled. I would prefer if they changed it so the courseware merely scaled in between the defined layouts for responsive.

If you have content that you desire freedom with -freedom for layouts, for interactions, etc...- getting to know Captivate can result in some pretty stellar courseware, as long as you can avoid the bugs and try to think out of the box for work-arounds to weird limits.

Captivate review by User in Banking
User in Banking

"Extremely capable but not customizable enough"

What do you like best?

Wide variety of effects available, many exportation methods, possible to build quizzes and interactive content.

What do you dislike?

Importable files are limited, can not fine tune special effects (ex. Keyboard typing sound volume), software feels ‘bloated’, cannot natively export directly to a video file, synchronizing single audio files across multiple slides is tedious

Recommendations to others considering the product

One of the more powerful solutions out there, but don’t expect to be able to fine tune every little thing

Provides a more customizable, interactive, and overall smooth presentation of software training or demos that PowerPoint or general movie production software can not compete with.

Captivate review by User in Internet

"Industry Standard"

What do you like best?

It's like learning to drive stick shift---it's a universal skill that's good to have and comes in handy when no one else knows how to use the software.

What do you dislike?

There is an issue with versions not always being compatible. So updates/changes you make in one version of software might cause HUGE issues when trying to edit with the updated software.

We use it for making all sorts of courses from mandatory training, to fun/interactive optional courses . It really cuts down on the need for facilitator led trainings.

Captivate review by User in Oil & Energy
User in Oil & Energy

"Functional, but difficult "

What do you like best?

This software can do almost anything you’re looking to do for creating interactive training elements, but it’s not user friendly. The learning curve to be productive is pretty steep, and if you really want a great looking course, you’ll need to combine skills with other software, like photoshop or illustrator.

What do you dislike?

The interactions builders and programming options are not easy to use.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Compare it with Storyline and select the one that meets your needs. Storyline is more user friendly

Developing online, scorm compliant training courses for our LMS

Captivate review by Leonora B.
Leonora B.

"Excellent Product to create eLearning videos"

What do you like best?

I really like the versatility of the product. You can now storyboard your project, add slides, questions for assessments, add images, etc. Then save it in the cloud, collaborate with others and upload it to your captivate on your computer. To make a video it is so easy to manipulate, add PowerPoint, add interactivity, easy to look at what you designed by computer size or mobile size.

What do you dislike?

It does take some time to learn the features, but once you know it - it is very easy and intuitive.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need to storyboard, add interactivity, and more complex testing then this is the way to go.

I am changing old audios into videos and it is so easy to transfer the audio into the video production.

Captivate review by User in Gambling & Casinos
User in Gambling & Casinos

"Using Captivate"

What do you like best?

I think captivate produces great online courses that have a look and feel of professionalism. They are very user friendly for basic projects.

What do you dislike?

The advanced techniques are a little are to grasp. I feel like I need to be a developer to figure some of it out.,

Producing online modules and training videos to our customers and employees. Benefits are that they are easy to create quick basic modules that are responsive.

Captivate review by Jim S.
Jim S.

"Very powerful, sometimes behaves in ways that are not expected"

What do you like best?

Very fine control over flow of course and content. Non-Programmer can do branching and other advanced techniques. Responsive design works pretty well (desktop, web, mobile).

What do you dislike?

Widgets don't work well in many cases. Crashes fairly often (be sure to save work frequently!). Many screens are not wysiwyg even though they intend to be.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Compare several authoring tools before deciding.

Maximize learner engagement through interactive course. Learners report higher engagement and retention of content.

Captivate review by Tracy S.
Tracy S.

"Adobe Captivate for Building"

What do you like best?

There are some newer features that are easy to use and helpful for learning modules

What do you dislike?

It's not intuitive to use - takes a lot of training before you become familiar with how to use it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There is a steep learning curve but once you get used to it, it's simple.

I can use the exports for modules pretty easily.

Captivate review by Colin F.
Colin F.

"Easy to use, but could use more functionality around testing"

What do you like best?

I like the flexibility that I am offered when using the product - the diverse range of interactions that I can create to help keep a learner engaged and how easy it is to create my own content. If you can use Power Point, Captivate isn't any more difficult!

What do you dislike?

Certain limitations within testing functionality... Can't easily create time limits for tests/knowledge checks within an elearn.

We are starting out by building elearning the teaches our employee base about the products that we offer to our clients. Using Captivate, we can create interactive eLearning which will not only educate the learner, but give them hands on experience with the tools, thanks to the ability to create demos and simulations.

Administrator in Higher Education

"Flexible product with many options"

What do you like best?

The program is fairly easy to use for simple projects like software demos or video tutorials, and is handy for creating custom tours of online courses at my university. I like that the program provides native support for PowerPoint and lets you customize on import, so you can go from a standard 4:3 to slides sized for delivery on an ipad, for example. I like that Adobe has started adding responsive elements as well, since most of what we create needs to be viewable on multiple devices.

What do you dislike?

I wish there were more options for adding interactions and objects, and would like to see Adobe offer more variety in pricing - currently I only use Captivate at work. Also, because Adobe is so weird about license sharing, I had to keep a second computer in my small office for 2 years just to use this product - I wasn't allowed to transfer the license to my primary desktop. When our university went to virtual machines, we couldn't include Adobe products for student use because of the licensing restrictions.

I'd love to see a community for Captivate that is as helpful and supportive as the ones out there for Articulate Storyline. I have never used Articulate, but their community helps give me ideas for projects to try in Captivate,

Recommendations to others considering the product

There may be better options out there for anyone interested in developing truly responsive designs - Captivate pays lip service to responsive designs but it is not yet fully integrated into the product. Also, look at Articulate Storyline as an alternative, and check out the Rapid eLearning blog created by Articulate community hosts.

Some instructors like to provide a walk-through of their online course sites to help students learn their way around the system. I believe students who receive this kind of customized training are more likely to be successful in their courses. I also plan to use Captivate to create some custom training for faculty at my university, which will save time and staffing resources.

Captivate review by User in Hospital & Health Care

"First Authoring Tool Used"

What do you like best?

Adobe Captivate was the first authoring tool I've ever used. It taught me the nuts and bolts of creating simulated elearning and for that I am grateful.

What do you dislike?

Having been introduced to other authoring tools since using Adobe Captivate, I think the user interface is quite intimidating. There are too many buttons and it is overwhelming to the user. One can become fearful of breaking something or pressing the wrong key and ruining the elearning you've worked so hard to create.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Before purchasing Adobe Captivate, I would start with a 30-day free trial to make sure it is the right authoring tool for you. Compare it to other authoring tools and list the pros & cons before making your decision.

We have used Adobe Captivate to create many simulated activities which we use on a regular basis. The simulated activities provide our end users the opportunity to mimic "live" environments without harming anything.

Captivate review by User in Staffing and Recruiting
User in Staffing and Recruiting

"ug, ok..."

What do you like best?

I liked the possibilities of captivate and the quiz results... and branching...

What do you dislike?

I found it annoyingly difficult to do things (like set up the background slides and making everything consistent... when it could be an easy feature in the program. I also didn't like how slow the program was and how it crashed my computer sometimes... no other Adobe product did that...

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend doing the 30 day trial to make sure it's something you want to use... and also recommend trying other programs such as Storyline! (Easier to use)

Trying to make distance learning for our 'learn, shadow, do, teach' lessons! I realize the benefit of the interactivity of the modules!

Captivate review by User in Hospital & Health Care

"Instructional Designer review of Adobe Captivate"

What do you like best?

Captivate seems to do everything we need and syncs well with all our other systems (and Adobe products obviously). It's a very robust program.

What do you dislike?

Difficult to learn, not a super user-friendly interface. But if you're familiar with Adobe products you should have a smoother transition. There are just so many settings and menus and options it's difficult to learn from a layman's standpoint. I took 2 graduate level courses using the tool and I still feel like a novice. I've encountered small gliches in the publishing process that I simply wasn't able to fix (such as certain motions in screen captures showing very choppy / pixelated once published). The files produced are also very large which has resulted in some push-back from our eLearning team in using this tool too much.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take advantage of the 30 day trial to make sure you are comfortable using the tool before purchasing! Take advantage of Lynda.com and YouTube tutorials to learn the basics if you don't have someone to train you. There are also companies that conduct in person training though it can be expensive.

We create training simulations for our internally built, proprietary systems. For products we purchase, training typically already exists. But for proprietary products we have to build our own training and Captivate has worked well for that. The only problem is that, when the system changes, the simulations have to change as well, which can be a time consuming process.

Captivate review by User in Human Resources
User in Human Resources

"High learning curve, good design features, and polished presentations"

What do you like best?

I like the ability to build buttons, characters, incorporate interactive widgets and other elements. It's very easy and intuitive to layout your branching scenario.

I've never had an issue changing the dimensions of a project to for a mobile display--Captivate is flexible that way. Projects are also easy to publish and prepare for LMS.

What do you dislike?

Not enough stock themes, higher learning curve than other authoring tools like Articulate Storyline. I experienced difficulties incorporating next buttons onto master slides. There is a way to do this. but it is not an easy one-click like other tools. However, Adobe has said that they would include this feature in future versions.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend Captivate if you already know how to use it or are preapred to invest some of your time and money into learning the software. The learning curve is certainly not low and does require some practice before you are able to create a successful project.

I am able to create online training that the organization needs pretty quickly. Since there is a lot of back and forth when creating a training and getting it reviewed by a SME, I have made use of easily publishing to Adobe Connect (cloud storage) and sending a URL to my SME for review. This is much easier than sending someone an unpublished file or folder.

Captivate review by Duane S.
Duane S.

"Pretty good eLearning software"

What do you like best?

I really like the image library where you can change an image once and it will update all the same images immediately throughout the project.

What do you dislike?

Not so easy to learn off the bat. Not overly intuitive. Takes up a LOT of memory and resources.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider Articulate Storyline also

It has been used to build eLearning courses.

Captivate review by User in Human Resources
User in Human Resources

"Adobe Cpativate"

What do you like best?

It was very easy to use. Just about everything was simple and I was able to get through my assignment quick and easy. I used it from a Learner's perspective which might help. I never had issues with it. I also liked it because I am familiar with other Adobe products so I can count on the brand of Adobe.

What do you dislike?

There was nothing that I disliked. I was happy that my assignment was completed based on my interaction with it. I think it may have taken a while for me to dowload the software on my computer through my school, but I am sure that had nothing to do with the software itsself and more so to deal with the computer I was utilizing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I have no recommendations to others considering Adobe Captivate

i used this software for school in my graduate school program at Oakland University.

Captivate review by User in Construction
User in Construction

"Buggy"

What do you like best?

All companies templates are in Captivate. The Text to speech has improved but it is far from ideal - but it allows us to turnaround quickly with VO - and ideally you can use it for initial reviews and make a pro recording in later stages

What do you dislike?

Frequent crashes, unusable interface, caption concept barely usable for non-IT training

Recommendations to others considering the product

Might be best option for responsive eLearning projects otherwise head storyline's way (great support community)

Bite sized learning chunks delivered just in time

Captivate review by Administrator in Judiciary
Administrator in Judiciary

"Excellent tool but requires a skilled user"

What do you like best?

I like that the product t offers more customization compared to its competitors.

What do you dislike?

it’s not Nearly as user friendly as its competitors.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Will require an expert user.

We are using this product to offer our employees soft skills training in the workplace

Captivate review by Kevin N.
Kevin N.

"Great for interactive software demos"

What do you like best?

Captivate is a clear winner if you leverage Adobe LMS or need to create a fully functioning software demo based on screenshots and/or video clips.

What do you dislike?

Captivate is a beast and can use up a lot of CPU. Files are only editable in Captivate, so any editors must have their own license. It doesn't have a great tie-in to PowerPoint, like it's competitors.

I am developing several CBT courses to train end users in the day-to-day tasks of a new CRM software. I have realized the benefits of essentially creating a sandbox for users to feel comfortable learning what to do with call-out boxes and a voice-over.

Captivate review by Angela M.
Angela M.

"Premier Tool for Creating Training & Instructional Videos"

What do you like best?

Adobe Captivate give me and my team the ability to easily author a training videos that walk my users step-by-step through the use of my application while providing them with audio and captions for understandability. Not only is the process of recording easy, the output is a professional quality training video that can be accomplished with limited training for my staff. The application has a large feature set which makes it easy to record different things without having to put a lot of thought into how to accomplish it.

What do you dislike?

While the software is pretty easy to use, there are sometimes quirks with certain settings such as the panning and capture area. I find that communicating these settings to my team can often be difficult. Because there are so many settings, it is often difficult to determine which settings should be used in certain circumstances to optimize my recording for a particular situation. Though there are many settings available, there is something to be left desired when creating introduction and closing screens with the limitation in the effects.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I have tried other similar products and have found that while many of them are easy to use, most of them do not have the feature set that Adobe Captivate has. Additionally, these other products do not create as high a quality product as Adobe. If you are considering Adobe, you will need to make sure that you have plenty of ramp up time to learn the system and time in place to test the different features to find out which ones look best for you.

My company uses Adobe Captivate to create learning management type videos and training materials for employees and customers. We have noticed substantial benefits in being able to create training videos which can be distributed as required and can be watched repeatedly. This allows us to convey the same message continuously to everyone. With the ability to create an actual instructional video, we can quiz our users and drive them through actual scenarios to ensure that they can duplicate whatever process or activity that we are training them to in a guided manner.

Captivate review by Christine W.
Christine W.

"Need to use every day to keep fresh on Captivate"

What do you like best?

Interactivity, buttons, smart shapes, question slides,

What do you dislike?

Requires checking and double checking as each box and button has its own timing, formatting, etc . Documentation is weak in general on Captivate and problems had to be solved through trial and error with a few urgent messages to the Capitvate forum or blog. Trouble shoot , troubleshoot- you have to get very good at trouble shooting.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be sure to create and establish your templates BEFORE you begin creating project. Timing, colors, fonts, master slides, answers to questions, all your preferences. Would be a nightmare to retro fix a project without established templates and preferences.

I have created five different elearnings for my company- focused on hands-on software training combined with some business process concepts. I found it easier to manually create my interactive software simulation rather than use the built-in simulation tools which required more time editing what was automatically created than starting from a manual process in the beginning. The elearnings enabled over 1000 users at a tme to get the basic information and introducton to new software tools that they needed, The elearning was created in combination with an accompanying job aid that supported the steps in the elearning. Saved all the logistics of ILT training or sending out an email with attached job aid that no one would read. Since the course was assigned out and required and completion was tracked, more people actually took the training and got the introduction they needed.

Captivate review by Vanessa R.
Vanessa R.

"Great Software"

What do you like best?

With Adobe Captivate publishing learning applications in both Flash and HTML5 in one fell swoop is outstanding. HTML5-based mLearning adds a new dimension of usefulness for mobile devices, especially for workers out in the field, and others on the go including students who can take advantage of learning while away from the classroom.

What do you dislike?

Some of the new features feel disjointed and out of place and if you want my honest opinion, it feels like in the middle of development, the team changed directions most likely because Articulate launched Storyline. I feel like the team quickly scrambled to make sure the next version of Captivate could include some of the same features that Storyline users have come to love since the launch, for example Interactions, Themes, Actors, et

Recommendations to others considering the product

NA

The new workflow in Adobe Captivate helps me do things faster, easier, and in a more maintainable way. I’m performing general production tasks up to 80% faster now.

"Adobe Captivate"

What do you like best?

There is a lot of interactivity available with this software. We build a lot of "choose your own adventure" exercises where learners have the freedom to make choices that impact where they go next. Once you get the hang of creating advanced actions and variables, the possibilities for what you can build are seemingly endless.

What do you dislike?

There are some accessibility concerns for user with disabilities. While several of the features are accessible to screen readers, a lot of the more interactive features (like drag and drop) are still unusable for certain users.

We use Captivate to build a lot of learning objects for online courses. They are a nice break for students from text and video as these activities allow them to manipulate the content and really get a sense of how things "work" together.

Captivate review by User

"Easy to use, limited programming needed."

What do you like best?

I like to use advanced actions to apply multiple layers to a single slide.

What do you dislike?

There are issues with using google fonts.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Join the Adobe captivate community.

It makes learning interactive. Users are more engages with their learning.

Captivate review by Consultant in Hospital & Health Care
Consultant in Hospital & Health Care

"Great Easy to Use Product"

What do you like best?

The biggest thing for me is that I can use it both on MAC and PC. Most other software seem to be geared towards PC. The other features that I like are easy usability to start an e-Learning, non simulation properties and enhancements template choices.

What do you dislike?

The price is a little bit high. Also, some drawing tools would be nice too.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a great product. It is very useful and makes your life much easier.

I use it to record demos and interactive training material without having to spend too much time coding doing it.

Captivate review by User in Education Management
User in Education Management

"Adobe Captivate for Learning and Development"

What do you like best?

It's flexibility to create ANYTHING for online delivery.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I dislike is the technology behind the text to voice engine.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take the time to learn how to use it properly

Develop online learning objects

Captivate review by Tracey S.
Tracey S.

"Upgraded from Captivate 5.5 to Subscription of Captivate 7"

What do you like best?

The main reason I requested an upgrade from Captivate 5.5 to 7 was to be able to publish content to HTML5. We are producing more and more eLearning for mobile and we need to be able to support our learner's tablets and smart phones. I also like the fact that 7 comes with several photographic characters to use in my training. I like these better than the illustrated characters. I think there is better transference of learning with the photographic characters. I decided to go with the subscription model because I will get any upgrades free, so, in the long run, it should be cheaper than buying 7.0 non-subscription because I believe that Adobe will need to come out with another version in a year or so because mobile learning and technologies are changing so fast. Even though it is a subscription purchase, I am still able to download the product and work offline.

What do you dislike?

I would like to be able to seemlessly use Adobe Captivate content within Articulate Storyline tutorials and Storyline content within Captivate tutorials, but right now, I can't do that with interactive content, only video.

Also, no upgrade was offered for us going from Captivate 5.5 to 7.0. We thought that that was pretty ridiculous.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I see Adobe Captivate as the best tool on the market for software training. Articulate Storyline and TechSmith Camtasia do not let you have as much control over what you want to show as much as Captivate has. I am able to change the littlest of things to make my demos and simulations precise.

I use Adobe Captivate to build our software product training and product marketing demos. Captivate allows me to fine-tune demos and simulations to the most intricate little details that I want. I am unable to get that kind of control from screen recordings in either Articulate Storyline or Camtasia. Captivate gives me the flexibility that I need to create the best software demos and simulations that we require. I also use Captivate to create onboarding training for new salespeople at Cincom. We've been able to greatly reduce our onboarding training expenses and yet have consistent training by having new salespeople complete eLearning on their own time, their own pace, and on the device of their choice.

Captivate review by Benton P.
Benton P.

"Making E-learning Development Easier"

What do you like best?

The ease of use. I use to create E-learning modules with Flash and ended up having to learn code to complete of them. Once I was introduced to Captivate, I was able to open the software and figure it out on my own without any trouble!

What do you dislike?

There's nothing I really dislike about it.

It's made making continuing education modules simpler to make. I can now focus more on the design than the programming of the module.

"Adobe Captivate--User Friendly"

What do you like best?

We are looking at bringing some of our third party e-learning to be in-house. I began working with Adobe Captivate to see if this was a viable option. It is pretty intuitive and easy enough to pick-up and start using.

What do you dislike?

Because I was new I used the help button frequently. At times it does not know what I am asking.

Bringing e-learning in house due to budget constraints. Still debating on which software we will choose to go with.

Captivate review by Christine W.
Christine W.

"Functional but frustrating"

What do you like best?

When you have oodles of training you can create amazing things.

What do you dislike?

The time it takes to learn the tool, hard to learn new processes without professional user on staff.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Prepare for a learning curve and subscribe to Lynda.com

Faculty and student training - in progress

Captivate review by User in E-Learning
User in E-Learning

"Almost perfect."

What do you like best?

The software simulation/demo is simple to use. Like the eLearning Brothers integration.

What do you dislike?

The responsiveness is still difficult to implement.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Compare vs. skills.

Using Captivate for Software training.

Captivate review by Jenny S.
Jenny S.

"Captivated- kinda"

What do you like best?

I like the implicit workflow in the interface design. I like the the fact that it has all the basic features, and in-timeline editing. Preset themes and characters are nice.

What do you dislike?

Still pretty primitive. Compared to other Adobe products this one has a clunky interface and limited capabilities. Some aspects are less than intuitive.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Only Mac friendly app of this kind that's any good.

Higher education tool for students. Allows the student to interactive studying capability.

Captivate review by Matthew F.
Matthew F.

"Adobe Captivate - The Go-To for our Recorded Webinar/Training Needs"

What do you like best?

For us the text-to-speech has been huge. We have webinars we create where we walk through a whole Year-End process and trying to step through and normally record with your own voice is a challenge. Text-to-speech allows us to write scripts and dictate accurately and easily the steps with no mistakes. I also log the Quick feature as that has been used hundreds of times on employee trainings.

What do you dislike?

I would like to see Captivate be able to generate different outputs. There is SWF, HTML5, MP4 and the ability to upload to YouTube and these work great, as we typically use the SWF and embed into KB articles, but I would love to see the ability to create WAV or AVI files too. We have some customers that prefer that format.

I've used Captivate to create Year-End webinars, new employee training, as well as several various client-face training materials. Creating these types of videos in-house not only has helped keep costs down but it allows us to provide content to our internal and external customers in a timely manner.

Captivate review by User in Management Consulting
User in Management Consulting

"Like trying to translate code....."

What do you like best?

It's a rapid development tool. It has some good features that I like - customizing the player, button settings, etc. I like the scrolling CC text option.

What do you dislike?

It's like pulling teeth to create interactions with pop-ups or buttons. The button options are limited with look/feel.

Recommendations to others considering the product

They need to get out of the software developer mentality of the user interface and make it more user friendly. Users are not developers who code - we're developers who do design and need MS Office-type interfaces.

E-learning training development.

Captivate review by User in Computer Software

"Great product for interactive web lessons"

What do you like best?

I felt like once I learned some of the keyboard shortcuts, it was very easy to go through and edit videos.

What do you dislike?

I felt like certain steps were very tedious, and took a lot longer than should have been necessary (i.e. with the Highlight box and Click box, unless there was a specific feature that I wasn't aware of). I also had some difficulty figuring out the libraries, so I would instead use a lot of copy/paste.

I also felt like it would freeze frequently for a couple of seconds everytime I would try to preview the video in the browser.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a good product for interactive videos - keep in mind that you have to use screenshots for each step and can't use video clips, like other products.

I was creative interactive lessons for use by new employees as well as customers, so that they could learn how to better use the product. I realized that by making the videos interactive (as opposed to the other videos my company has created), makes it a lot easier for people to learn how to use our product.

Captivate review by R Diane S.
R Diane S.

"disappointed"

What do you like best?

Tough to say, as there isn't much I like about it. I guess I like the animation options.

What do you dislike?

This application is not at all user-friendly. The learning curve is high.

Recommendations to others considering the product

use Storyline instead

I love Adobe products, and have used Adobe Creative Suite extensively. I was expecting the same quality with this products, and have been very disappointed.

We use it to create e-learning modules.

"Adobe3 Captivate"

What do you like best?

The feature that allows you to put a time limit on training videos was a plus for our company. It also is a robust program.

What do you dislike?

I think the cost is prohibitive, and it is not an intuitive software to use. It is time consuming and not my favorite.

Recommendations to others considering the product

We actually had Captivate and Articulate Studio. After Articulate came out with Storyline we have quit using captivate for the most part.

Training video's that were utilized on CD to sites that had no LMS or Internet connection available

Captivate review by Agency
Agency

"Excellent software for demo creation"

What do you like best?

Ease of editing after initial recording/screencaps.

What do you dislike?

The interface takes time to develop proficiency.

Short demos with notations and voice over of processes that create a lot of the same types of questions. Folks always asking about how to install from MS System Center? Use Captivate to create a short walkthrough so customers can self-serve.

Captivate review by Steven L.
Steven L.

"Adobe Captivate - Most Fully Featured Elearning Tool"

What do you like best?

I like how I was able create a basic video quick enough, yet still know there are a significant number of tools to create more and different online content.

What do you dislike?

There is certainly a learning curve needed to become proficient at Captivate. Fortunately, Adobe has a lot of online tutorials and my workplace has Lynda.com access

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be prepared to spend time learning it, but worth the effort for the quality content.

More and more, our institution is moving training content online to create on demand access to important information. This includes both presentation material and learning content with quizzes. Captivate handles these quite well, with great options for output.

Administrator in Higher Education

"Adobe Captivate unmatched for screen capture training"

What do you like best?

Screen capture functionality is great. Allows user to learn, practice and assess learning,

What do you dislike?

Learning curve is high for advanced functions. Better internal support needed...reliant on user community for support.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you can put in the time to learn how to use the software, you will be well-rewarded.

Procedural learning that requires interaction and/or practice can be done wonderfully with Adobe Captivate.

Captivate review by Steve R.
Steve R.

"Solid Communications Tool"

What do you like best?

It's a very intuitive program. It's especially easy to learn if you've ever used video or audio editing software. Captivate is also very flexible in that you can create from scratch or build off an existing PowerPoint deck. The demo capability is outstanding.

What do you dislike?

It's robust program and it does require a lot of memory. It can cause crashes. Save early and often. Depending on your machine, you may want to close everything you're not using.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be sure your computer has adequate processing power and memory. Captivate can be unforgiving if it doesn't have enough of either.

I've used it to create software demos and various training materials. Being able to do this kind of thing in-house helps contain costs.

Captivate review by Consultant in Information Technology and Services
Consultant in Information Technology and Services

"My experience with Adobe Captivate over the years..."

What do you like best?

I like the flexibility to use different type of files to create my learning project.

What do you dislike?

I would like to have more options for voices in Captivate. The voices currently available are very robotic and require a lot of changes to the spelling of words.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure your LMS system is compatible with Captivate prior to purchasing. I worked with other LMS system that did not accommodate the project sizing from Captivate. We had to configure everything in Captivate instead of relying on the LMS system for some of the functionality.

I used Captivate to reduce the classroom time required to learn new materials for new users. many of the basic concepts were created in Captivate and sent to new users to watch prior to attending class with specific questions and scenarios.

Captivate review by User in Internet

"captivate 8 review"

What do you like best?

fairly flexible when designing interactive elements

What do you dislike?

It can be pretty clunky and buggy. It has some strange rules that make difficult to do exactly what you're hoping for -- most of my support question came back with a "it's not possible to do that" even though they seemed like fairly simple asks.

scalable training

Captivate review by User in Computer Software

"Best end-user tool for producing interactive/engaging training"

What do you like best?

Robust tool for building training that's interactive, and very polished demos and screen recordings.

What do you dislike?

Price point puts it out of the league of many- making it hard for SMBs to produce polished looking demos.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're on a budget, take a look at Camtasia;

Definitely my favorite tool out there for quickly recording a demo or a quick piece of interactive training.