• I use this

Adobe Captivate

32 ratings
327.810
Compare Request a Demo
Author interactive eLearning and mLearning content. Easily create demos in HD, application simulations, and soft skills and compliance training.

Adobe Captivate Reviews (32 reviews)

• Interactivity, buttons, smart shapes, question slides, Read More
    0 fxi2tzv7z0z9r5iss o0trvgvycqj61ssl0ptr4yeunn6cxv grhfuukurgms3 nafd myofxif2
    Christine W.
    Internal Consultant in Professional Training & Coaching
  • Adobe Captivate give me and my team the ability to easily author a training videos that walk my users step-by-step through the use of my application while providing...Read More
    Avatar 699b516ccb7c52c39a00a5a0b519c525492a57a311ed9ce017bc17b6c1c89a1c
    Angela M.
    Consultant in Information Technology and Services
<span data-ue-widget='safe-name' data-safe-name-id='37395'>Kathy M.</span> - Adobe Captivate Review Author

New User Success

What do you like best?

The ability to build my slide deck using different features. For example, I was able to build introductory slides then record a software simulation or video demo. I like that these entities are initially a separate file that I can edit and tweak, then copy into the master project.

The ease of including features that make the learning meet Section 508 standards for accessibility.

When I published the project, I could generate a PDF that was interactive. For my situation, this assisted in piloting the modules before they went live on the LMS site.

What do you dislike?

When I purchased Captivate 8, I had not used previous versions of Captivate. I felt the tutorials offered by Adobe for Captivate 8 assumed that the user had used previous versions of the product. This made the learning curve, when on a tight project schedule, difficult. The video tutorials that I did watch moved very quickly and were difficult to understand. I had to watch them multiple times.

When building and editing the deck, I used the accessibility features to meet Section 508 standards for accessibility. When previewing just one slide, I could not preview the closed-captioning timing; I had to preview at least five slides or the whole project.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are a new user of Adobe Captivate, you will want to purchase a good tutorial book to supplement what Adobe offers. I found a couple of good ones that ramped up my ability to use Captivate 8 pretty quickly. I purchased it in an e-book format which allowed me to search a feature I was trying to use and get immediate help.

What business problems are you solving? What benefits have you realized?

Re-designing and developing content for a MOOC to improve learner completion rate. Initially the MOOC content was heavy in text. The benefit to the learner is a higher level of interactivity with the learning content which will result in higher learner engagement. This should impact the successful accomplishment of the learning objectives and ultimately improve the overall MOOC completion rate.

<span data-ue-widget='safe-name' data-safe-name-id='50159'>Trevor S.</span> - Adobe Captivate Review Author
Validated Review

Captivate - Use and functionality.

What do you like best?

The program is very intuitive and allows for a strong layering of effects, graphics, and outputs well. It handles all media typically used for computer based trainings, and the end result is high quality. Very easy program to learn quickly, and once the program is understood, is able to produce very complex interactions.

The ability to manage sound, timeline and other actions are very visible, and easy to follow.

What do you dislike?

The program has system lags at consistent areas, is not a good sound editor, and can be inconvenient to built complex animations. Not having an automatically setup backup function also can result in corrupted files when working on a network.

Planning for this is possible, but can be a hassle. Overall the program is fantastic to work with, but there are limitations in functions around the animation structure that could easily be addressed. Beyond that, it would be highly beneficial to have some more advanced sound staging and layering capabilities. Individual slides either have a master background track or one sound layer - I would suggest allowing for multiple sound layers as currently the program does not allow it..

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make the timeline structure for complex animations simpler to build together. Beyond that, it would be highly beneficial to have some more advanced sound staging and layering capabilities. Individual slides either have a master background track or one sound layer - I would suggest allowing for multiple sound layers.

What business problems are you solving? What benefits have you realized?

Trainings on complex topics, or experience based learning behaviors, software demonstrations, and updates to existing material. This program is used in place of holding trainings that would require a full class, but need to go more in-depth than a memo or announcement could handle.

<span data-ue-widget='safe-name' data-safe-name-id='14066'>Angela M.</span> - Adobe Captivate Review Author

Premier Tool for Creating Training & Instructional Videos

What do you like best?

Adobe Captivate give me and my team the ability to easily author a training videos that walk my users step-by-step through the use of my application while providing them with audio and captions for understandability. Not only is the process of recording easy, the output is a professional quality training video that can be accomplished with limited training for my staff. The application has a large feature set which makes it easy to record different things without having to put a lot of thought into how to accomplish it.

What do you dislike?

While the software is pretty easy to use, there are sometimes quirks with certain settings such as the panning and capture area. I find that communicating these settings to my team can often be difficult. Because there are so many settings, it is often difficult to determine which settings should be used in certain circumstances to optimize my recording for a particular situation. Though there are many settings available, there is something to be left desired when creating introduction and closing screens with the limitation in the effects.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I have tried other similar products and have found that while many of them are easy to use, most of them do not have the feature set that Adobe Captivate has. Additionally, these other products do not create as high a quality product as Adobe. If you are considering Adobe, you will need to make sure that you have plenty of ramp up time to learn the system and time in place to test the different features to find out which ones look best for you.

What business problems are you solving? What benefits have you realized?

My company uses Adobe Captivate to create learning management type videos and training materials for employees and customers. We have noticed substantial benefits in being able to create training videos which can be distributed as required and can be watched repeatedly. This allows us to convey the same message continuously to everyone. With the ability to create an actual instructional video, we can quiz our users and drive them through actual scenarios to ensure that they can duplicate whatever process or activity that we are training them to in a guided manner.

<span data-ue-widget='safe-name' data-safe-name-id='13937'>Christine W.</span> - Adobe Captivate Review Author
Validated Review

Need to use every day to keep fresh on Captivate

What do you like best?

Interactivity, buttons, smart shapes, question slides,

What do you dislike?

Requires checking and double checking as each box and button has its own timing, formatting, etc . Documentation is weak in general on Captivate and problems had to be solved through trial and error with a few urgent messages to the Capitvate forum or blog. Trouble shoot , troubleshoot- you have to get very good at trouble shooting.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be sure to create and establish your templates BEFORE you begin creating project. Timing, colors, fonts, master slides, answers to questions, all your preferences. Would be a nightmare to retro fix a project without established templates and preferences.

What business problems are you solving? What benefits have you realized?

I have created five different elearnings for my company- focused on hands-on software training combined with some business process concepts. I found it easier to manually create my interactive software simulation rather than use the built-in simulation tools which required more time editing what was automatically created than starting from a manual process in the beginning. The elearnings enabled over 1000 users at a tme to get the basic information and introducton to new software tools that they needed, The elearning was created in combination with an accompanying job aid that supported the steps in the elearning. Saved all the logistics of ILT training or sending out an email with attached job aid that no one would read. Since the course was assigned out and required and completion was tracked, more people actually took the training and got the introduction they needed.

User in Human Resources - Adobe Captivate Review Author

Adobe Cpativate

What do you like best?

It was very easy to use. Just about everything was simple and I was able to get through my assignment quick and easy. I used it from a Learner's perspective which might help. I never had issues with it. I also liked it because I am familiar with other Adobe products so I can count on the brand of Adobe.

What do you dislike?

There was nothing that I disliked. I was happy that my assignment was completed based on my interaction with it. I think it may have taken a while for me to dowload the software on my computer through my school, but I am sure that had nothing to do with the software itsself and more so to deal with the computer I was utilizing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I have no recommendations to others considering Adobe Captivate

What business problems are you solving? What benefits have you realized?

i used this software for school in my graduate school program at Oakland University.

Do you like gift cards?

Amazon 15 69a16135a8a89331fb4401ef8989bb62f6035c175b57816ccd664c30b04b95be

Write your first review today, and we’ll send you a $15 Amazon gift card as a thanks for your time and input.

Review Now

Tags

* We monitor all Adobe Captivate reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.
Would you like to receive more information about Adobe Captivate?