Adobe InDesign

(2,008)

Adobe InDesign is a versatile desktop publishing application that gives you pixel- perfect control over design and typography.

Work for Adobe InDesign?

Learning about Adobe InDesign?

Adobe InDesign Reviews

Showing 2,008 Adobe InDesign reviews
Adobe InDesign review by Shiloe F.
Shiloe F.

"Still A Great Layout Program Despite Shortcomings"

What do you like best?

I do like that you can now create interactive PDFs for digital uses, as opposed to still having to just make a small PDF. This has been a really fun feature that has been neat to play with and I hope to find a use for it. As always the links menu is always clean and useful; it allows me to easily re-link or re-update files when they are modified outside of InDesign. And when it comes down to it, the fact that all the software programs work well together in the suite make it hard to beat.

What do you dislike?

I do find that moving pages around once the layout is set, or using the print booklet feature are difficult. Once pages are set, especially in facing pages, it is hard to move them around or to change the layout. Also the Print Booklet feature is not as useful as it was in the past. It is not easy to print a booklet to a PDF for printers from this menu anymore, nor is it straightforward to make changes to how it should print here.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have used PageMaker in the past, InDesign is an easy transition. I do find it to be a lot more user-friendly than Quark, and many of the menus and functions work a lot like they do in other Adobe products, so if you are familiar with Adobe, then this should be an easy transition for you.

I used Adobe InDesign for our brochures and rack cards. It is a straight-forward layout program that allows me to edit files in other software and automatically update.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Adobe InDesign
Adobe InDesign review by Alyson B.
Alyson B.

"Terrible Customer Service"

What do you like best?

The design possibilities are endless on here. I was able to redo my many of the marketing materials my company uses through this one program.

What do you dislike?

It took more than a week for customer service to fix my program, even though they said it was marked as a priority. It kept shutting my entire laptop down and I need this program for work. Customer service employees were rude and not willing to listen to the problems that I was having, they kept telling me it was already fixed! I also had to talk to four different employees. I kept getting my calls cut off and they would not connect me with the previous person I spoke with and they never called me back.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Never call customer support, it was a complete waste of time for me. I could find another design program with all of the capabilities of InDesign I would switch in a heart beat after my experience with their customer support.

I design brochures, invites, and flyers by using the Adobe InDesign. This has been great for updating out marketing materials.

What Desktop Publishing solution do you use?

Adobe InDesign review by Rachel Y.
Rachel Y.

"Professional documents with minimal effort"

What do you like best?

I like the ability to tweak the text with precise kerning, tracking and leading. I also like the column option that allows you to spread a header across the page as opposed to creating a new text box. Moving text boxes around, while maintaining an already set text wrap makes life easier.

What do you dislike?

The linking of text can be difficult to undo without removing the formatting. Even with paragraph styles, unlinking text from another page can create a mess.

I am not able to resize .jpgs within InDesign, having to return to Photoshop is a pain.

Character styles seem redundant, for the most part. I rarely use it, I can just tweak my individual paragraph style.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take some tutorials through Lynda.com or watch some You Tube videos. Once you get a solid foundation, the learning curve is manageable.

I am able to import vectors to create mock-up of a web page design (Illustrator does not offer quick and efficient text formatting options).

InDesign allows me to create colorful text boxes, basic shapes and maintains the text formatting should I tweak the shape or round the corners

Adobe InDesign review by Michael T.
Michael T.

"The King of The Hill in Desktop Publishing"

What do you like best?

Ease of use, Cross-platform files, panels, typography, simple drawing tasks, being able to put small graphics into the text box of your content, allowing it to flow and be near text you need it to be and looking like it might be a font instead of a graphic. Indesign's ability to do almost everything well but kick ass publishing output for print, e-readers or online content is outstanding. Being able to preset everything is a really nice touch throughout Adobe products but with many documents being a grind to get through, it really shines here. Having a visual meter when producing output, like for creating pdf's letting you know things are still progressing.

If you've worked in an ad agency, this is your number one production workhorse, capable of creating many different iterations of the same content for different executions.

What do you dislike?

Like most complex programs there can be a lag when starting up and font loading, depending upon how you activate your fonts can be tricky. Oh and watch out for on the fly font substitutions by the program if you switch form Windows to Mac with the same file. But hey, at least you can do that sort of cross-platform work, yes?

Recommendations to others considering the product

100% you need it.

large publications, multiple language publications, one-sheets, ads and the like - actually for ad work across multiple sized iterations and languages, it's amazing.

Adobe InDesign review by Baldomero C.
Baldomero C.

"Buen programa, pero le falta algo"

What do you like best?

Es un programa muy potente y funcional, aunque algo confuso en algunos momentos o instrucciones. Lo mejor, sin duda alguna, es su total compatibilidad y retroalimentacion con Adobe Photoshop, como es lógico pensar. Esto hace poder importar y exportar proyectos de uno a otro, con las ventajas que ello conlleva. Las páginas maestras están muy bien implementadas, con muchas opciones útiles a la hora de componer.

What do you dislike?

Lo que hace que InDesign no sea mi primera opción, frente a otros programas similares, es lo poco intuitivo que es con respecto a esos otros programas. La interfaz puede parecer confusa, y los comandos muchas veces estan muy mal localizados, con atajos tan poco prácticos como dificiles de recordar.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Hay otros programas de diseño y maquetación mejores para mi gusto, sin embargo es un gran programa y la alta compatibilidad que tiene con Photoshop es un gran aliciente para su adquisición

Al ser más potente que otros productos de la competencia, es capaz de generar archivos más grandes en menos tiempo. Sin embrago, para trabajos cotidianos no es mi primera opción.

Adobe InDesign review by Alana P.
Alana P.

"Indesign is the BEST for single and multipage layout design"

What do you like best?

Indesign makes it very easy by automatically including your live area guides for ideal margins. I can tell immediately when someone uses another program that does not assist with margin suggestions.

What do you dislike?

If I had to identify sometime I disliked about Indesign, it would have to be the fact that is does not have robust graphics tools. However, it is designed that way on purpose! Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop fulfill those needs. Once the graphic/image is finalized in one of those programs, I simply drop it into Indesign.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is truly an amazing tool if you want to create polished materials whether they be digital or print. There are many details, such as snapping guides and alignment features, that make Adobe Indesign a true gem to work with.

We use Indesign for a multitude of things. It is our first choice for print and digital publishing. This includes case studies, one pagers, product info sheets, press releases, internal company documents, e-books, printed books/ product guides... etc. The list goes on. Beautiful program.

Adobe InDesign review by Justin M.
Justin M.

"The best way to design your book!"

What do you like best?

InDesign does everything I need and still runs light on my computer. By that, I mean it's always responsive and never lags. I love Adobe, but my bottom-of-the-line Macbook Pro has trouble with some heavier software. The folks who built InDesign are smart, and even with a page full of photos, my design process doesn't get interrupted with that horrible spinning color wheel.

What do you dislike?

I wish InDesign had a few more of Adobe Illustrators vector based features. Sometimes I have to create more complex objects in Illustrator and copy/paste them in. I am glad copy/paste works well between the two programs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Access to great downloadable templates let me complete projects in half the time (at least). You also have complete design control, as opposed to Microsoft Office solutions. Other similar softwares just frustrate me after being spoiled by InDesign.

I use InDesign for booklets and other heavy text publications (anything with two or more pages that won't require other people's editing abilities). There are wild amounts of templates available online for Indesign. The Master Pages then allow you to quickly tweak a templates design across an entire document.

Adobe InDesign review by Abbey L.
Abbey L.

"Senior Graphic Designer's review of InDesign"

What do you like best?

I have been using InDesign for the past 15 years and it is a great program for designing presentations, books or other multi-page documents. I'm much happier with it now that I am much more used to using it. In my first few years using InDesign I found some things difficult to figure out. I'm glad Adobe has implemented blending modes and vector elements!

What do you dislike?

I have had major issues with transparency -- certain blending modes result in strange appearances in PDF and sometimes in print! That should really be looked into.

I've also had some difficulty scaling grouped vector elements, which has not been ideal. I've had to go back into Illustrator and adjust until I figure out the perfect size for my InDesign document. It would be great if Adobe could fix this!

When designing printed booklets that require printer spreads setups, I have struggled with the automated tool. It still does not set my design up correctly into printer spreads and I have had to manually adjust the pages.

Recommendations to others considering the product

InDesign is great for book layouts, presentations, and other multi-page documents! You can easily set up a few masters to keep consistent elements in the same place on different pages. You have a lot of the flexibility of blending modes and type tools in Photoshop and Illustrator but many capabilities specific for multi-page documents that you won't find in those programs. (I have also worked on presentations in Illustrator using multiple art boards but have found this to be a bit cumbersome.)

I have used InDesign to set up several different music packaging products my company has released. I have also utilized the program to create many presentations for my company's internal needs.

Adobe InDesign review by Corey M.
Corey M.

"A great publishing program that wonderfully integrates into the rest of the adobe suite"

What do you like best?

If you're familiar with other Adobe products, you'll feel incredibly comfortable using this program. The interface is simple enough, and the tools are intuitive and have similar behavior to illustrator and photoshop. The liquid layout feature is also amazing if you are designing for multiple platforms. Basically this feature allows you to create a logic to how your page will flow depending on if the screen size will change (going from phone to tablet for example)

What do you dislike?

As with all of Adobe's products, a monthly subscription is required to access the program. Also, the program is pretty much exclusively used for page layout. There are no photo editing tools. So, if that is what you need as well, your going to have to have access to photoshop or some other design application.

I use indesign all the time for laying out brochures and complex, multi-page HR documents. It allows you to easily go back into the document and update content.

Adobe InDesign review by Jennifer S.
Jennifer S.

"Good for intermediate to advanced desktop publishing"

What do you like best?

If you're creating an extensive company newsletter, an ebook for your product, a newspaper for your school, etc, this is likely the software that you need. It is a high-end desktop publishing product and was the standard back when I was working in newspapers. From what I've heard, it still is.

What do you dislike?

If you're working on smaller projects, you can spend a ton of time just getting things set up and ready for content. For smaller projects, unless you use InDesign a lot, I would recommend other desktop publishing software.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take some time to learn how to use the product, how to create your custom items that you can add to your library, etc well before you need to create your finished item. It's a very powerful product, but can also take some time to learn.

I used this quite heavily back when I worked in newspapers - it was the software we used to create all of our newspaper layouts, insert content, etc and then send it to the publisher to be printed. If you're going to be working with a professional printer, this is a very good product to invest in, as it's made for exactly that. It will add all of the crop marks and other tools necessary for your products to be properly printed, cut, and finished. I also used this software a lot in college to create professional looking reports and other documents.

Adobe InDesign review by Claire G.
Claire G.

"Best Document Design Software"

What do you like best?

Indesign is intuitive. I like the extra space on the board where you can leave elements you aren't sure if you want to use or not without putting them in the document. I like the level of customization - i.e. that you can change the color of the background of your workspace from light gray to dark gray. I love that you can drag and drop pages into any order you want (especially the option to disable "document shuffle") Another customization feature I find useful is the ability to set the increments of how much an element moves with each tap of the arrow keys (can move a lot or a smaller amount).

What do you dislike?

Sometimes when switching between monitors and laptop, the toolbar gets lost and is very hard to locate. On certain laptops (I have an HP at work) the space bar shortcut doesn't work when zooming the same way it works when hooked to a monitor and keyboard. I wish the spacebar worked all the time for that.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Indesign is by far the best - it's ruined even Microsoft Word for me!

Designing training documents, one-pagers, white papers, etc.

Adobe InDesign review by Molly M.
Molly M.

"Dependable System for Creating Layouts"

What do you like best?

My favorite features of InDesign are the layout settings--in which I can set up an underlying grid to my designs--and the ability to create paragraph and character styles. InDesign makes it easy to create consistent pages in a document, and I can easily make global changes by adjusting these features.

What do you dislike?

I'm not sure if it's the printers I'm using or InDesign itself, but sometimes I find it difficult to print documents, which often take 30 minutes to send to the printer. Sometimes the program becomes unresponsive when I try to adjust the print settings. Otherwise, I think it's one of the most solid Adobe programs in terms of its capabilities and ease of use.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I work back and forth between InDesign and Microsoft Word when dealing with text because there is no grammar check feature within InDesign, so I always copy and paste.

I use InDesign from a creative side and also as a way to make professional tools, such as invoice sheets, presentations, and budgets. While not as intuitive as the Microsoft products, it's a great way for me to make highly customized documents that stand out.

Adobe InDesign review by Jessica D.
Jessica D.

"White Papers? Check!"

What do you like best?

If you work on white papers frequently, like I do, you know that if you want them to look good you need to move beyond Microsoft Word or Google Docs. InDesign is the perfect tool for text-heavy designs because it's designed specifically for editing print documents. It's got great typography and color tools and it's a breeze to make layout changes.

What do you dislike?

Now for the bad stuff... InDesign is frustrating sometimes because it breaks so many of the paradigms you're used to from Photoshop and Illustrator. While there are usually good reasons for these choices, it just feels unfamiliar enough that it can be frustrating to hit the wrong shortcuts and forget momentarily why something isn't working.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need to create white papers or other print documents, I strongly recommend giving InDesign a try.

I use InDesign to create layouts for white papers and other "print" documents. It's a beautiful tool that helps me every day.

Adobe InDesign review by Maria M.
Maria M.

"Great for Complicated Print Document Design"

What do you like best?

I work on a lot of complicated brochures and print designs with copy that goes through multiple stages of edits concurrent to the design process. InDesign is fantastic for this because it's designed specifically with print in mind. The tools to lay out text and preserve spacing and kerning even after significant copy edits are second to none!

What do you dislike?

InDesign would really benefit from better handling of exports from other Adobe tools. Adobe Bridge is completely inadequate for my needs and it takes too much time to properly import images in the right way.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have a simple print project, you can use just about any design tool to produce it. But if you expect multiple edits and changing copy, InDesign is the right tool for the job.

Adobe InDesign makes complex print layouts a snap to create, edit, and maintain. It's the only tool that lets me get these types of project done on time.

Adobe InDesign review by Joshua J.
Joshua J.

"Can't say enough good things about this product"

What do you like best?

There aren't enough positive words or expressions in the English language to describe the usefulness of Adobe InDesign. I have been using the program for nearly 5 years in media design, and I am still in awe of this interface. As far as all typography-based design needs go, nothing beats the creative capabilities of this program.

What do you dislike?

There is very little I can say about this program negatively. I wish the button for "Share to Behance" wasn't right next to "Export," as I am always clicking the former as opposed to the latter by mistake, but other than that InDesign is a nearly flawless program that I would be lost without.

My company uses InDesign to lay out the pages of our daily publication. Due to its incredible capabilities and the option to integrate vjoon K4 collaboration right into the interface, our entire team (scattered around the country) is able to meet rigorous daily deadlines, all thanks to this program.

Adobe InDesign review by Noa B.
Noa B.

"Best Product for portfolios!"

What do you like best?

How easy it is to create layouts and spreads the are organized. Also very easy to readjust the size of your drawing/photo in spread. I mostly use this product for architecture presentations and layouts, and I find that indesign is a lot more user friendly than other products on the market.

What do you dislike?

I wish that this project had more of the capabilities that Photoshop does. I wish I was able to draw more in Indesign. Otherwise there isn't a lot that I dislike about Indesign. I think it is a bit to expensive for students (as a complete adobe creative cloud package, which includes Photoshop and Illustrator as well) but for architects and architecture students it is a must!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Practice! Practice! Practice!

I use indesign to show my work, and in my opinion it's a lot easy to use for formatting letters, reports, magazine spreads, etc. in a creative way than Microsoft word.

Adobe InDesign review by Mary M.
Mary M.

"LOVE InDesign for Publishing"

What do you like best?

For print work, in my opinion, there is no other software that compares to InDesign. There is so much I can accomplish with ease. I can even scan in documents and prevent myself from having to spend all that time typing. I can add photos, graphs, columns - virtually anything needed to quickly write and prepare for print an article, a brochure,a menu and so much more.

What do you dislike?

I can't think of a single thing I dislike about InDesign. At one point in my career, I loved Pagemaker. InDesign took the place of Pagemaker and in no time I learned how and why.. In Design can do so much more than Pagemaker ever could. Given time, Pagemaker would've become more like InDesign, I feel sure.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Ease of use. I only said lack of support in that my InDesign has issues with crashing. Though I've sent multiple reports to Adobe, I've never received any information or backup as to what could be causing the problem.

I sometimes dislike getting to all the choices of fonts I have the way InDesign is set up but overall, InDesign is a much easier piece of software to use for publishing, creating ads that simply require some text and pasting a photo. It is simple to use and produces a great deal of professionalism in one program.

Adobe InDesign review by Jonathan Lien H.
Jonathan Lien H.

"Full-featured and fluid, InDesign is top of the line"

What do you like best?

Adobe InDesign is a very smooth, functional piece of software. It makes basic typesetting easy and getting your designs print-ready a breeze. It is almost invisible in its effortless usability. If I were not married to other Adobe products, the thought of trying an alternative to this software may have crossed my mind, but as it stands, I see no good reason to try anything different, because of InDesign's integration with Creative Cloud and, thus, with the bulk of my design work.

What do you dislike?

One of my primary beefs with InDesign, and keep in mind that this is a fairly minor issue, is that the integration with other Adobe products, while they are strongly integrated from a creative perspective through the Adobe Creative Cloud, there is some pesky inconsistencies between keyboard shortcuts and basic software behaviors with Photoshop and Illustrator. This is probably not a major issue for professionals who spending most of their time focusing on specific Adobe software products, it is annoying for a self-employed freelancer like myself who is constantly switching between Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign. Another thing I dislike, as I have mentioned in previous Adobe software reviews, is the high price of Adobe Creative Cloud software.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is extraordinary useful as part of a larger package, the Adobe Creative Cloud suite. If you have a need for this type of software, and already use Photoshop or Illustrator, I would highly recommend it, if you can afford it.

Adobe InDesign, while perhaps not as "essential" as Photoshop, for example, is very useful in conjunction with other products in the Creative Cloud suite. It solves a inconvenience problem.

Adobe InDesign review by Michael L.
Michael L.

"Editorial or multi-page projects"

What do you like best?

InDesign perfectly completes the triptych with Illustrator and Photoshop and is the software I use for creating graphic layouts, especially when I have to create magazines or catalogs, which obviously include the dummy and multiple pages. It works very well and allows both the creation of documents for printing and multimedia or ePub.

What do you dislike?

When amounting graphics from Illustrator, it is not easy to modify anchor points or shapes of graphics imported directly into InDesign, so sometimes I find myself forced to import graphics again. For the rest I think it's a great software that all designers should know.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Highly recommended especially for those who already use the other Adobe CC software, it is perfect for creating multi-page graphic documents or projects that provide precise layouts with interaction between texts and images. Excellent management of the pages panel and the swatches panel.

I work with InDesign especially for the realization of multi-page brochures, catalogs, magazines and advertising material.Normally the projects that I create concern the printed paper, but in some cases I have made interactive pdf with insertion of slideshows or embed html, like videos from YouTube or Google Maps.

Adobe InDesign review by Brian G.
Brian G.

"Top of the line, but extremely frustrating"

What do you like best?

InDesign has a ton of bells and whistles and continues to implement a lot of good features. I do like the cross-over functionality between the various Adobe programs, such as building out a library of assets to use via Bridge or the Creative Cloud library. The fact that you can also use consistent hotkeys between programs is fantastic. InDesign continues to lead the way in publishing software. Need to make a book? No problem. Interactive PDF? Sure, that's easy.

What do you dislike?

This program crashes a lot. Whether using my 4 year old computer or my 1 year old computer, this thing crashes at least once an hour. It's buggy. It comes with a lot of baggage and extra bells and whistles that I'd like to disable to get down to the core of what I need InDesign to do.

I've been using Adobe InDesign since it came out (and PageMaker prior to that), so I'm able to quickly turn some concepts into print-ready material or make brand guide books or other marketing material.

Adobe InDesign review by Matthew V.
Matthew V.

"InDesign - my thoughts"

What do you like best?

I like the ability to create multiple pieces of content through InDesign - from designing brochures, pamphlets, infographics, At-A-Glances, Solution Overviews, etc. all from the same platform. Learning the basics of InDesign is pretty easy - you can learn about 75% of what you need to know within 10-15 mins through a tutorial on Lynda.com. The rest is somewhat easy to learn but practice makes perfect

What do you dislike?

Its really hard to create shapes - I have to create them in Illustrator, which is similar but completely different. For instance, if I want to create a quarter-circle, its almost impossible for me to do in InDesign but pretty easy to do in Illustrator. The other big thing that is frustrating is that I have to through Bridge to transfer shapes and other items from Illustrator to InDesign, so often times its time consuming and for sure difficult to learn yet another platform

Recommendations to others considering the product

Go to Lynda.com to learn the basic training of InDesign within 10 mins. Its definitely worth it and can help promote better, more effective pieces of content collateral for your marketing department

I create marketing material and content through InDesign, such as short executive overviews called At-A-Glances and longer, more deep-dive material called Solution Overviews. I've also worked with InDesign to create basic infographics and more - all content related to marketing promotion materials

Adobe InDesign review by Tiffany W.
Tiffany W.

"InDesign for print and online page layouts"

What do you like best?

InDesign is the easiest (in my opinion) application out of all the Adobe software products. If you understand how print and online page layouts are structured and how to design them, InDesign is a piece of cake. It's great for anything you could dream of in the world of print and online page design.

What do you dislike?

It annoys me when the default measurement setting is not set to inches (I know, how American of me). This is an easy fix, but it gets me every time. The main thing I "dislike" is the price of InDesign. I also dislike that links often have to be packaged in a folder for an entire project when the file is transferred or opened on another device. If it's not packaged every single time – I lose my links. And while packaging it's annoying that I can't save a new file as the same name as an old file. I'm doing it on purpose because I want to replace an old file with an updated version. Instead, InDesign insists I choose a different file name. I'm sure there's better ways around this, I just haven't found one yet for myself that I find easy enough.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're looking for a software to design any type of print product or even a web page design, InDesign is for you.

I use InDesign for newspaper design, magazine design, web design, posters, flyers, brochures, tickets, etc. Often times I'm using InDesign to recreate or put a twist on the designs for just about everything. InDesign is by far the best software I've used for this.

Adobe InDesign review by Carmine R.
Carmine R.

"Layout for print and devices"

What do you like best?

InDesign is definitely the best software for creating graphic layouts and layouts, thanks also to the excellent compatibility with other Adobe software, such as Photoshop and Illustrator. It also allows you to create multimedia documents with the insertion of interactive objects or even html code.

What do you dislike?

It does not allow the creation of native applications for iPads and iPhones without the purchase of the Digital Publishing Suite and this feature could be implemented in the next updates. For the rest nothing to report.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Those who work in the editorial design must surely have InDesign because it is the most complete software in this field and can take advantage of simple copy / paste with elements made in Illustrator and perfectly manage multipage documents, such as books, catalogs and magazines.

Use InDesign to create multi-page graphic documents, such as manuals, books, catalogs or magazines, both for printing and for creating interactive pdf or epub files, taking advantage of the excellent compatibility with Illustrator and Photoshop.

Adobe InDesign review by Danica K.
Danica K.

"Seamless Design and Collaboration Across Platforms"

What do you like best?

When we used to use InDesign, it was seen simply as a tool for print publication. But we have recently discovered that now we are able to use InDesign for both large print products (books, magazines and travel guides) and responsive website design. Via usage of templates, we are able to design and customize layouts with easy editing abilities for print and digital products alike.

What do you dislike?

Some things we do not like about InDesign are that sometimes the program will slow dramatically when working on website design, with large files that have multiple pages with detailed layouts. Another issue that happens frequently is that certain apps will not update properly, such as InCopy, and need to be manually updated to work across the two Adobe programs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Know that you can use this product for website design layouts as well as print product layouts. When you test the limits of the products, as we have done, we have discovered many things we love about the functionality of this product in comparison to the other products in the Adobe Creative Suite.

We use InDesign to create designs and layouts for destination magazines and sales and marketing collateral, and this year have been using it to create responsive website design for our clients. We have realized that even though InDesign was initially crafted as a tool for publication layout, it can be just as effective (and sometimes more so) to use on digital products than its sister program Photoshop.

Adobe InDesign review by Matthew S.
Matthew S.

"Professional tool for digital and print publishing"

What do you like best?

Indesign is a fantastic tool for organising, arranging and presenting work. The software gives you a huge range of options for setting up documents and creating presentations using simple and professional ways of working. Work and documents are able to be created for digital and print formats, with options for interactivity /hyperlinks etc. Using other forms of Adobe software such as Photoshop and having experience of this type of software makes using and integrating with Indesign far easier.

What do you dislike?

If you are using Indesign for the first time, having not used another Adobe software, you may not find it easy to use. There are a wide range of options to undertake tasks and there is a benefit to having some basic training. One other frustrating thing is that the shortcuts for Indesign are different to Photoshop and also Illustrator. When work simultaneously between these software's this can lead to make small mistakes and having to redo things.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try a free trial to see how you feel. Also look at some basic tutorials to get you started if you have not used the software before

Overall the software is effective at tackling publishing tasks and creating professional documents and presentations. As a business we use Indesign regularly to create documents and layouts to issue to and present to clients. A great tool is that when you update (resave) images / files placed (inserted) into the main Indesign document these will automatically update. This is very helpful for when you are updating a large number of images and you then do not have to replace these within the document.

Adobe InDesign review by Jeff L.
Jeff L.

"A superlative product, in a sparse landscape."

What do you like best?

Classic Adobe interface. I know where everything is and don't waste time hunting for features. AdobeCC integration is stellar! Combining AdobeCC libraries with Adobe Stock has changed the way I resource collateral, speeding up my workflow beyond words. Being able to switch between light and dark themes, albeit trite, is fantastic when working in the bright lights of the office or late into the evening as the room darkens.

What do you dislike?

Indesign frustrates me when changing document layouts. I love the ability to create a new layout and resize the canvas, but I would like the option to adjust the spreads and switch layouts to include facing pages or not. Believe it or not, there are few things I think Adobe missed with its' current version of InDesign.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get it! I can't imagine how you would do any desktop publishing with another software. The integration with AdobeCC is outstanding!

I primarily use InDesign to complete Information brochures for property listings; while incorporated with my CC libraries, I have found the workflow to be extremely quick. Adobe Stock integration has also sped up time in my workflow with simple drag and drop interface.

Adobe InDesign review by Connor B.
Connor B.

"The best desktop/web publishing application available"

What do you like best?

Like most Adobe products, you have complete control and can customize almost every aspect of the software. It's very easy to customize multiple workspaces, the location of tools and windows, etc. In general, the controls are excellent and I have no complaints because you can literally modify anything to fit your liking. This is in sharp contrast to many of the other office/desktop applications, where multiple clicks are required to do a specific task.

The ability to copy and paste directly from Illustrator is great because you can edit vector shapes/objects right from InDesign.

Finally, I like being able to export files into almost any format. The export to PDF feature didn't always work in earlier releases, but they've since fixed the issue and it works without every crashing or freezing.

What do you dislike?

Since Adobe released the 2018 updates for its CC applications, where users could update to the latest version and keep an older version of the application on their device, InDesign's performance and stability has decayed significantly. If you opt to keep two versions of InDesign and use your saved preferences from the older version, the preferences will be corrupted and cause the program to be unable to save or export files after a period of time. The only workaround so far is to save in a different format, force quit, and restart.

This is very frustrating because it requires due diligence on the users part to periodically quit the application and restart it to avoid the error(s) that I mentioned above. I also do not like how InDesign frequently fails to load your default/custom workspace. Sometimes it will load, but most of the time you have to manually select it otherwise it just defaults to the "Essentials" theme. I suspect this is due to the preferences issue.

One other quirk that can be annoying is the "Edit Image in Photoshop" feature. After selecting this option for an image placed in InDesign, you're taken to Photoshop where you can make changes, etc., but after saving the image in Photoshop I found that it did not automatically update the version in InDesign. This is a cool feature that, in theory, saves time, but I find myself having to locate and re-add the saved image file back into InDesign.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I strongly recommend watching video tutorials before using. There are so many tools right out of the box, and you might not ever use 60% of them, so it helps to know where everything is, how to create basic documents, and then customize the layout based on your specific needs. I found that my productivity and confidence in my InDesign abilities increased after I completely customized the workspace.

InDesign is my daily driver for creating and designing sales and marketing content. Complete customization and integration with other Adobe CC applications has enabled us to create better content that accurately reflects our company and brand.

Adobe InDesign review by sierra m.
sierra m.

"Make layout easy "

What do you like best?

I like a lot about indesign, but its the best for layout design for any documents. Its also great for multiple page layout for magazines, books, ect. This program easily lets you get down to the smallest details within any document font spacing, paragraph set up and many more things. Its also awesome how easy it is to bring in images and pngs. Its also easy to set type around images.

What do you dislike?

I hate how hard it is to bring vector object over from illustrator its really hard to control them as in scaling them and making edits. Also scaling images can be difficult because it seems that the frames aren't connected to the images.2

Recommendations to others considering the product

Explore everything this software can do for you. There are tons of online classes to free tutorials on youtube. This program can take your documents from being boring to exciting and refine.

It helps with all of our collateral and making templets for any documents my company may need. It makes my life a lot easier everyday and makes my work production fast.

Adobe InDesign review by Robert Z.
Robert Z.

"Creation of books or magazines"

What do you like best?

InDesign is a software that allows you to create excellent multi-page layouts, especially for the creation of books or magazines, but also catalogs and advertising material. For some time, you can also export epub or interactive files, or create native apps thanks to the Digital Publishing Suite.

What do you dislike?

It is not very easy to use and has some features suitable only for real experts, in addition there are many competitors like Quark Xpress or iBook Author that allow you to make epub format files in a way I think a little easier.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Although it has several competitors, I personally prefer it for the excellent interaction with other Adobe software, such as Photoshop or Illustrator and above all because the results are professional. The only flaw is perhaps that it is not very immediate in use and some functions are complicated to understand.

As mentioned above, I use it mostly for the layout of books, booklets, catalogs or magazines, but also for the creation of interactive pdf is an excellent tool to take into consideration, especially because it works very well with Illustrator or Photoshop.

Adobe InDesign review by Seth R.
Seth R.

"Perfect For Small Businesses As Well As Large"

What do you like best?

Adobe Indesign is designed with the user in mind! It is smooth with little to no bugs. Even though I hate subscription based payments, the lower starting costs enabled me to get my children’s book out in to the open! It is extremely powerful and has no limits to the size of project.

What do you dislike?

There is not much to say here. The price is competitive and it is almost perfect. You can see Adobe trying to incorporate Photoshop by not having the RGB to CMYK image transformation—an essential element. I did end up using Photoshopfor this part of the project.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would try out the trial before diving in. Although it is well designed, there is a learning curve. It does help if you are already have experience with Gimp or Photoshop.

I did a lot of research before I purchased Adobe Indesign. I was in the process of publishing my first children’s book and I didn’t need any sort of problems due to lack of research. I finally boiled it down to Indesign and started the free trial. With a little research here, and a little there, I worked the program and successfully published my first book without any mistakes! It is a program that I owe a lot to and I would certainly recommend it.

Adobe InDesign review by Andrew M.
Andrew M.

"No Other MultiPage Publishing Software can do Better"

What do you like best?

The editing ability is superb, Quark has nothing on this multi page publishing software. It works very well with this other Adobe programs in its suite. Drop in different images and you can easily edit that image if you wish. Packaging your files for ease of transport for either backup or to give to a 3rd party is an excellent feature. Great to copy and paste paths and shapes from Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop as well as vice versa.

What do you dislike?

Don't like how you can't open any newer files, you'd literally would have to open the newer file with the latest version of InDesign and re-save. But even with that, it would only save back to the version directly before it. It's a smart move to keep the consumer updating but it's a pain if you're in a crunch.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Probably a no brainer, but Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop are excellent to know if you haven't already considered it. In fact, just get the suite with the essentials.

Auto numbering makes ticket automation a simple task. Style sheets are a life saver which helps you keep consistent with all your work. Dropping in multiple photos onto a placeholder is an excellent feature as well.

Adobe InDesign review by Samuel D.
Samuel D.

"A great tool for designers to show people what they are talking about."

What do you like best?

Simple to use for just about anyone to build an example of something to show to a team.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it will not load my presets, or things will crash if it is trying to use fonts and things that are not present on another computer you might be trying to load a file on.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Makes any form of printed media easier to make. From pamphlets to newspapers, this is what you should be using.

We were using Qwork to design publication layouts, but my company wanted to switch to working with PCs instead of the macs we were working on. The switch actually was an easy one, and the program gave us way more options then we had before. Helped make our work flow much easier and gave more people the ability to implement things quickly.

Adobe InDesign review by Molly M.
Molly M.

"The best program for advanced text layout "

What do you like best?

Indesign is my go-to program for formatting large amounts of text. It is an incredibly capable program and I think it has more features than I could ever dream of utilizing. My favorite feature is using Paragraph Styles and Character Styles to apply changes to lots of text at once. I also love the linked text boxes, and the new dark color scheme that came out somewhat recently.

What do you dislike?

In my opinion, creating work in Indesign takes me a lot longer than equivalent work in Illustrator. But it's absolutely necessary to use Indesign when working with large amounts of text.

For beginners, Indesign is a very daunting program and I imagine that some people give up on using it before they realize what it is capable of.

One small feature request I have is the ability to customize the details that show up in the "Info" section of the Links panel because that info takes up precious space and it's not all important to me.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Indesign has a steeper learning curve than other Adobe products, in my opinion. It can be intimidating. There is a useful blog called Indesign Secrets which has a lot of helpful information.

Thanks to Indesign, I recently created a multi-page interactive booklet with a hyperlinked table of contents that bring you to that specific question, which I think is very neat.

Adobe InDesign review by Daniel W.
Daniel W.

"I have been using InDesign for over 7 years and am a massive fan."

What do you like best?

When using indesign, I think that it is brilliant for laying out type and images. I also think it is great for planning out designs and putting together interesting layouts.

What do you dislike?

I am not a fan how it sometimes links images and you can lose an image. Also if you want to send a file you have to package it all up. It would be ideal if all the images were stored on the file.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think if you are starting out with inDesign, have a play around with layout and working with the text. You can do a lot with the layout of text and manipulating. It is also very good type hierarchy.

At the minute I am designing proposals and booklets. it is very easy to bring in new images and links. It is also easy to use existing designs to re-create new pieces of work.

Adobe InDesign review by Brooke B.
Brooke B.

"My Print Design Go-To"

What do you like best?

InDesign is my go-to solution for creating print designs because it's specifically geared towards this use case. It's great that the tool knows how to handle print layouts with text that's constantly changing (because the writers are re-writing it). It handles kerning and other typographic needs fantastically.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes InDesign can be a bit picky about ligatures, special characters, and other typographic edge cases. I hate having to use the special character menu instead of just copying and pasting things in. Otherwise, it's a really good program.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need to create and design print documents, Adobe InDesign is a good, solid choice. It will help keep your documents looking crisp even through multiple rounds of copy edits.

I use Adobe InDesign to create print layouts like postcards, white papers, posters, and brochures. It's a much faster solution for these use-cases than Photoshop.

Adobe InDesign review by Nicole S.
Nicole S.

"InDesign is extremely useful!"

What do you like best?

InDesign allows you to do pretty much anything you need it to. I use it for flyers, signage, invitations, and practically anything else I need for my position. The software allows me flexibility with my designs and I can use a wide range of pictures and vectors with the software. I use it pretty much weekly and I appreciate the preset designs also available for InDesign. It's never steered me wrong!

What do you dislike?

I dislike that when you move a file that is used in the program, the link becomes broken. I get that that's done to keep things running quickly but it is a tad inconvenient. I also dislike the lack of variance in templates available.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely consider InDesign for your design and publishing needs. Take the time to learn and understand how to use the software.

I can customize and create my own event materials with InDesign, which saves money. I also can make signage the week of the event and create them on a whim, which I really appreciate being able to do!

Adobe InDesign review by Carlos Alberto S.
Carlos Alberto S.

"Excellent tool for designing printable files"

What do you like best?

In conjunction with other Adobe tools, it is one of the most important tools in the repertoire of every graphic designer. It allows you to design printable files such as advertising posters or brochures in a very comfortable way. From my point of view, it's like an Illustrator to make much more professional and complicated projects (It's not always like that). It has an interface that is quite similar to that of Illustrator or Photoshop, so if you are a frequent user of Adobe tools, you will be able to familiarize yourself very easily with InDesign.

What do you dislike?

It is quite powerful so without a computer with specific requirements, the experience with this program can not be entirely good, since the amount of resources required is quite demanding. In addition to all this, it is not a program that offers a tool of tutorials or guides that help with the integration of new users to make your experience with InDesign is much more dynamic and friendly, but on the contrary, each user must be learning by itself each function or characteristic of the program.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For me it is one of the best tools that exist to make printable file designs, and although it is a bit expensive, I certainly say that it is too much worth trying, besides that on the adobe website the company offers a period of tests that I consider is enough to decide.

It is one of the tools that has helped me the most in my current job, since with it I do most of my tasks as a graphic designer in the company, so the amount of advantages I get from using this program is quite broad, a of them is that with this tool I am much more comfortable doing the tasks since I am quite familiar with Adobe, which allows me to have a pretty good handling of their tools, plus the compatibility between them is quite good

Adobe InDesign review by Frederick F.
Frederick F.

"InDesign Catalogs"

What do you like best?

The way you work with large amounts of copy is great. This program is also the best program to provide a good or catalog with a large amount of pages to export to a PDF for a printer. The Master pages allow you to keep formatting and design assets that will exist on all or almost all pages. Makes page numbering a breeze as well.

What do you dislike?

I really like to incorporate icons and vector graphics into my work. That is my biggest problem with InDesign, I would like to see some simple vector incorporation like color or pathfinder from illustrator and eventually just have full vector edibility in this program would be a dream.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Print Documents with a lot of pages? This is the one you need, especially if you are an Adobe user.

At my company we do an annual catalogs of our product line. I use InDesign to layout the pages and design. This allows me to export too the printer very easily. I have tried to use illustrator with about 28 art-boards and the file size was insane. If you are looking to produce a document with a lot of pages in order in a book style this is the best program you can find.

Adobe InDesign review by sierra m.
sierra m.

"Layout hero"

What do you like best?

I love how easy this program makes it to layout any kind of document, there are so many useful features. My favorite thing is being able to make a fill out document interactive, it can make life so much easier. You can also add buttons and check marks which I this is pretty cool.

What do you dislike?

There are so many setting and so many things you can do with this program which is great but that also means sometimes it can be hard to find exactly what you need. It also is definitely not somewhere you would use its pen tool, Im not sure why they even have one. I also think they could improve how vector items transferred from Ai look and scale inside of Id.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Yes, I definitely think anyone who does document layout or wants their pdfs to be interactive should use this program. It makes formatting paragraphs and images easy. There are also a ton of free tutorials if you ever get lost.

This program makes it easier to layout flyers and collateral items I make for work. I love the facing pages it makes it so much easier when im doing book layout.

Adobe InDesign review by Eric S.
Eric S.

"Novice"

What do you like best?

As a novice using InDesign, I thought that it had a pretty decent artboard and set up. Has a lot of great features packed into one program so I didn't have to switch between many programs to create my branding package. I was able to create brochures from InDesign, Flyers, and Editorials. I enjoy it's text-linking feature and text style sheets that I found myself fiddling with a lot so it was wonderful to have the convenience of the sheets. It has great little tools to also help with making sure everything is perfectly lined up, I like even the small details of being able to type "+.1in" in the the Control panels : X,Y,W & H section.

What do you dislike?

I felt as though the program was prone to running slowly unless on the view "Typical Display". It can't seem to handle high quality image layouts as well as it's counterpart Photoshop and Illustrator. While it's a great program I wish that it would run a little smoother when moving images around because I found myself getting frustrated and wanting to run back to Photoshop for it's ease in image arranging.

I feel that I can efficiently create from one program if need be if I'm traveling and only have Indesign on my laptop instead of the whole suite. So I would say saving money here and there has helped the business.

Adobe InDesign review by Aubree J.
Aubree J.

"Adobe Indesign"

What do you like best?

Indesign is so much more flexible with the arrangement of text and images compared to Word or Google Docs. There are also an unending amount of features and uses within Indesign. It's a great program for using to make posters, self-designed resumes, marketing material of any sort, creating books/magazines or anything publishing related, and much, much more. If there are certain styles and features that you use a lot when making files, then you can save those styles to reuse them easily for when you design a file the next time.

What do you dislike?

There is so much you can do in Indesign that it can be hard to find everything you can do. It takes time to get used to all its settings and features, just like any other program or software. Also, the key-shortcuts are different with some things compared to Illustrator and Photoshop. I am more used to some of the shortcuts with Ai and Ps, so switching over to Id can mess me up at first.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a great program for any design needs! If you are simply looking to write letters or notes, Indesign would work for that, but I would recommend just using Word or Google Docs. Indesign is meant for the graphic designers or publishers who need advanced settings and features to make flawless products. If you are designing portfolios or any kind of published work, Indesign is a great way to go! And there are tons of ways to get help in learning more about it when you start using it.

I have used Indesign to create the new annual catalog for one of my jobs. I also use Id to create posters, brochures, and other fliers for both of my jobs.

I'm getting to learn more of the features that Id has to offer, which is helping my work flow go faster. Using the paragraph styles and character styles was a HUGE help for design the catalog this year!

Adobe InDesign review by Ruthy W.
Ruthy W.

"InDesign Review"

What do you like best?

I love that this is an all-in-one program. You can do almost anything with it except edit pictures. When working on print layouts and design, there is only one software that is consistent between graphic design and printers and it's InDesign, it's essentially the language of print or even anything digital. InDesign has all of the basic to advanced features I need to create anything for clients.

What do you dislike?

I am still not a fan of the subscription base for Creative Cloud... yes it has been years, but I have experienced more bugs, shutdowns, and Creative Cloud down time then I have did simply purchasing the software. Having been created many years ago, the application feels old and in some ways might have too many features. Also, while I like all of the features, in a way, I also dislike it. There may be a faster way to do something, but you just haven't come across the feature or tool yet. You have to be patient and not let yourself get frustrated.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't be scared by how difficult it is to use at first! Once you learn it, you won't forget and it's a very helpful tool.

InDesign is the standard for graphic print and even digital design and saves a huge amount of time when working with text layouts. Unlike Word or even Pages, InDesign is a more intuitive page layout program. I've used it for anything from large banners and posters to leaflets. Being able to use it with Photoshop or Illustrator makes it far more versatile as well. You also benefit from having control over your text and how it appears, which is something you don't truly have with Word or Pages.

Adobe InDesign review by Aaron H.
Aaron H.

"Great program for word-y projects"

What do you like best?

The inclusion of other design elements beyond just word processing and layout along with the latter aspects make it a worthwhile program. Plus, once you get past the learning curve, it becomes incredibly intuitive to the point that after templates are made, a workflow can grow exponentially.

What do you dislike?

The learning curve is fairly steep. Once the initial beginner steps have been taken, it is hard to continue without guidance of some sort, be it online or in text(book). And when a mistake is made, they flow of an entire template or project can be completely wrecked to the point of needing to be restarted completely.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Learn as much about the program before starting a huge project, it will help if there are any question you have before you start. Also, don't be afraid to look up the issue if you come across one. It's better to ask for help than to try and possibly shoot your self in the foot at a later point that may not be recoverable from.

Creating some sort of text-heavy layout/project: Magazines, Books, Lengthy flyers, (some) Infographics, and handfuls of advertisements. Using this program in conjuncture with Illustrator or Photoshop can help with the visual part of projects.

Adobe InDesign review by Nicole N.
Nicole N.

"Page Layout at your FIngertips"

What do you like best?

I enjoy using this program for anything needing page layout - whether brochures, flyers, even book design is a breeze with this. As with all Adobe products, you are not limited to using only InDesign for your work - I've often taken text from InDesign, slid it into Illustrator, or Photoshop and have had no issues with compatibility. It's an excellent tool all around.

What do you dislike?

It's hard for to think of a thing I don't truly like about ID, but I would perhaps say that occasionally I have hiccups when I go from ID to Illustrator and Illustrator may not recognize the font I had used with no issue in ID. However I would say that's less a fault of ID and more a fault of the font compatibility with Illustrator. I'm able however to work around it without issue. If you also have never really used ID you may find there is something of a learning curve with it, but it's not too difficult to surmount.

Recommendations to others considering the product

While it may seem intimidating, especially if you are unfamiliar with Adobe products in general and have only ever used Word, this program will quickly win you over. It's a peach to work with and I've never been let down by it's versatility.

Unlike Word or even Pages, InDesign is a more intuitive page layout program. I've used it for anything from posters to leaflets. Being able to use it with PS or Illustrator makes it far more versatile as well, especially with regards to any images embedded in the text. You also benefit from having supreme control over your text and how it appears, which is something you don't truly have, IMO, with Word or Pages.

Adobe InDesign review by Paul K.
Paul K.

"InDesign is the Standard"

What do you like best?

When working on print layouts and design, there is only one software that is consistent between graphic design and printers and it's InDesign, it's essentially the language of print. InDesign has all of the advanced features I need to create dynamic layouts and print designs for clients. The best features are related to its ability to automatically adjust text layouts when the page design is changed.

What do you dislike?

Having been created many years ago, the application feels old and in some ways might have too many features. The application is also not consistent on macOS and can sometimes crash unexpectedly, causing all of my edits to be lost. InDesign also does not have robust version control for edits back and forth between clients.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider if you need the most powerful graphic design tool that is the standard, if not, there might be easier and more user-friendly applications available for your need.

InDesign is the standard for graphic print design and saves an enormous amount of time when working with lengthy text layouts.

Adobe InDesign review by Kerianne O.
Kerianne O.

"I use InDesign most often in my career"

What do you like best?

Absolutely love basically everything about this product, It's my favorite adobe product. Creating layouts for books, utilizing editing view versus preview, and exporting to PDF is all great.

What do you dislike?

The pages window has some bothersome features. I do not like the way you have to change a lot of hidden settings if you want to create a book with some odd pages out. Like I may want to create something with no cover, but just a back page. I understand adobe likes to help keep in mind the importance of connecting spreads, but there are times when I need to create something different and I just need certain pages.

A second issue I run into every once in a while is working with masks. I do wish the same functions on photoshop/illustrator applied with tools like masking. But masking in indesign is something I always have to look up how to do because I forget every time I need it. It's an odd way to create masks, and it sometime works/sometimes doesn't.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This product should be something every graphic designer should know best. it is worth the money to get the entire adobe creative suite, but I do think that the software sold on it's own is super expensive.

As a designer, I use this everyday in my job. It's great for all things print and is so helpful/easy to use.

Adobe InDesign review by DANIELLE F.
DANIELLE F.

"My favorite program to use for graphic design"

What do you like best?

I just like how easy it is to use. Maybe it's because I've used it for a few years but I find it the easiest to use out of Illustrator or Photoshop.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that files tend get damaged easily.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would create multiple backups of your files at different stages in case they go corrupt.

Files tend to get damaged easily and I've spoken to Adobe about this a few times. They say that a lot of the time it is an image that is corrupting the file but I find that hard to believe. It is a huge inconvenience to have to rebuild a whole design file from scratch all while the program keeps crashing.

In terms of benefits, I am able to design beautiful flyers, graphics, and layouts for my company.

Adobe InDesign review by Heather H.
Heather H.

"InDesign for Monthly Designs"

What do you like best?

I like the ease of integration with photoshop & illustrator. I like that I can have files linked or embedded. Linked files are perfect for monthly designs that are tweaked or have subscriber information/photos that need to be updated. By simply saving the new image at the right size the links automatically update upon request of opening the file.

What do you dislike?

I am still not a fan of the subscription base for Creative Cloud... yes it has been years, but I have experienced more bugs, shutdowns, and CC down time then I have did simply purchasing the software.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I absolutely recommend particularly if you need to integrate information, illustration and /or photos.

I use InDesign for many projects, but the biggest problem it has solved is using layers to import and create a subscription based monthly design for professionals. I can keep information updated, designs customized/individualized and keep vendor information fresh and new each month.

Adobe InDesign review by Victoria L.
Victoria L.

"Good desktop publishing software"

What do you like best?

I like that it is easy to use and it has a similar interface with all the other Adobe products. I like the Library feature that makes it easy to use elements like logos across the adobe tools as well as other graphics. The integration with Adobe Stock is amazing, it saves time while creating training materials.

What do you dislike?

The Table of Content is not really working well for me, I always have to update the links afterwards in pdf. The styling is a bit confusing as well. I also don't like the way the justifying feature works, it always makes my text smaller or bigger depending on the word'a length. I would appreciate if InDesign had some more advanced image editing feature so that i don't have to work in photoshop or illustrator. Adobe doesn't really make a lot of new updates thus the app doesn't seam to have a lot of new features for the last updates.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is really easy to use, it has an intuitive user interface.

I use it to create user guides as well as some infographics for training purposes.

Adobe InDesign review by Raúl M.
Raúl M.

"Best intuitive solution for digital or printed papers - Of all kind!"

What do you like best?

I like the fact that it has changed very little since I first started to use it: simple, intuitive, easy to use, but yet, with many great and powerful tools to create amazing papers of all king. I don't even need to try another software when it comes to design for printed or web formats, I'll go with Indesign all the way!

What do you dislike?

I can tell anything that I do not like of this software. It's very impressive in my opinion and it's what I recommend for everyone looking for a software for printed or web + text designs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're looking for a easy-to-use, yet powerful software to create papers or any other printed or web desings containing text (Presentations, Billboards, Social Ads, etc, etc!), be sure to buy and use, it is a must!

Creating impressive printed or web format papers of all kinds. Even my CV / resumé was made with this awesome program. You can create presentations, CVs, letters, magazines, posters, billboards... virtually everything! It is great!

Adobe InDesign review by Marianne K.
Marianne K.

"All types of print projects to digital publications"

What do you like best?

The program is very straightforward and simple, while I can do some complex document making that other programs cannot do. It is best for anything with graphic print projects. Since it is from Adobe, it is compatible with any other Adobe programs, such as Illustrator or Photoshop and it makes it easier to work with.

What do you dislike?

Every time you save, you have to package, in order to link all the images and files you used for the program. In order to not take so much space with the files, you have update those linked files every time you package. Once you get used to it, it is not a big deal but you just have to keep track of it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Seriously the best program out there in order to generate printing documents or digital publications.

I use it for every print based documents with Indesign, including project presentation, boards, portfolio or brochure. Compared to people who use Microsoft programs like Powerpoint to make presentation board, it looks way more professional and it can generate the final board faster surprisingly.

Adobe InDesign review by Elise C.
Elise C.

"Very Intuitive Design Software"

What do you like best?

This software is easy to pick up and use right away, without knowing every little nuance. As long as you know how to double click, you're ready to go. You can make a decent page layout using only the Type and Rectangle Tools. Of course, there is more to it but the rest can be learned as necessary.

What do you dislike?

There isn't much that I dislike about using Adobe InDesign. I'm very accustomed to using this software for my job and I think it's pretty easy to use.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think the subscription model of Adobe products is pretty expensive for an individual, but I think it's worth it for businesses to always have the latest updates as soon as they come out. The option to use any Adobe product with my Creative Cloud membership is nice, but I don't even use 90% of what is available for my job or for personal use. Illustrator and Photoshop are 2 great companion software for adding graphics or illustrations to your layouts.

At my job, we are often building catalogs for print using InDesign. Usually at the end of the catalog, there will be an index, which is tedious to format with line after line of tabs, SKUs, and page numbers. I found that I could program Nested Paragraph Styles to go all the work for me in less than 5 minutes, which saved hours! The ability to use a Data Merge to link a lot of images at once is really useful and another time-saving device.

Adobe InDesign review by Heather R.
Heather R.

"Favorite Adobe Product!"

What do you like best?

InDesign is by far my favorite Adobe product I've used. There are so many tools and so much you can do with it! InDesign in conjunction with Photoshop makes a great pair and allows you to design great work. I feel like there is always something new I learn in InDesign and I really enjoy what it has to offer. If you are creating any type of book, manual, pamphlet, etc, InDesign is the way to go. You can truly create professional work without being a professional.

What do you dislike?

While I like all of the features, in a way, I also dislike it. It can be tricky sometimes to learn everything InDesign has to offer. There may be a faster way to do something, but you just haven't come across the feature or tool yet. You have to be patient and not let yourself get frustrated.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Learning and sharpening your InDesign skills is a must if you want to be successful in using it. There is a lot to learn and if you put in the time, designing will be that much easier.

InDesign has helped us in create more collateral and being able to edit current collateral. We no longer have to get someone else to do it. We can do it ourselves, which allows us to do it faster and correct the first time since we know what we are wanting changed. We have become more efficient in our content creation.

Adobe InDesign review by Alysha M.
Alysha M.

"Perfect for Magazine & Catalog Design"

What do you like best?

The interface of InDesign is much like that of other Adobe products, and therefore, was very easy to learn. I love the ease of using paragraph styles and character styles to apply or change to text at any time with just 1 click. This is the perfect software for a multiple page project.

What do you dislike?

Some features are hard to find, and aren't where I would expect them to be. Sometimes the software randomly become very pixelated and randomly less pixelated. I have no control over this. Sometimes this forces me to save and close my document and reopen. There is a HUGE learning curve to this software. This has been one of the hardest softwares to master. There is just so much about this software that takes experience and necessity or reason to learn. There is an error in the programming when an image has a border and the border is set to inside. There is a hairline pixel of the image that shows up on the outside of the border.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I'm not set that this is the best software for multi-page design. I believe that there could be something easier to use, and not to mention cheaper.

I'm able to produce consistent pages. The fluidity of the Adobe Creative Suite is phenomenal. I can easily copy a path from Adobe Illustrator and paste into any document. I can edit any image in Photoshop, save, and immediately see the updated image in InDesign. Having a suite of software has created unlimited possibilities as to what can be created.

Adobe InDesign review by Kevin W.
Kevin W.

"Great Layout Program"

What do you like best?

I am able to use both on Mac and PC files from Indesign. I have customers that bring in different operating systems files. So I am able to open Mac and PC files on my PC and most of the time there is not a problem when converting them. Only problem is finding fonts that people have used.

What do you dislike?

Having to go look for fonts. They have made it easier because of their new font features, but if they use a different font then I have to track it down and install it. Need to be able to install the font from a master list.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Very strong program, to create professional looking pages. Works so much better than other software like Pages or Publisher.

When I started working in the graphic design field over 28 years ago, we had to paste up and layout everything by hand, which took a lot longer that doing it today. Seems they keep adding features that keep making things easier to produce quality products

Adobe InDesign review by Glen T.
Glen T.

"Its worth while having a poke around!"

What do you like best?

A fairly diverse software package that is starting to bridge the gap between print and digital desktop production in some interesting ways. For print the package is comprehensive and covers pretty much most things. In all honest its been a while since I used Quark because InDesign caught up a good few years back for what I needed to do, which covered all printed matter.

What do you dislike?

In terms of layout design the guide calculators are fairly uniform, ie width of page divided by number of columns. With Quark you could calculate variable column widths. Nothing you can't put in by hand its a feature missed if I was doing more book design.

The digital side of things are not quite as intuitive as the rest of the general controls but not too much of a problem once you become accustomed to them.

Its worth having a look a bit deeper into work flows with adobe software. There has been a definite direction in trying to synchronise the packages so it is less effort to switch between programs. A little bit of conscious effort to ensure you have libraries setup correctly helps when work across platforms in different media

Adobe InDesign review by Matthew M.
Matthew M.

"Best Print Design Application"

What do you like best?

I love the fact that you can collaborate with you team now with Adobe InCoppy CC. You can share Your cloud libraries to share a whole bunch of items for example: color palette shapes and graphics and even text. This is a great tool for any team who works remote.

What do you dislike?

Like most Adobe Products it takes time to learn if your coming from another software make sure you take some tutorials or watch some videos to help you out. There are alot of features to learn.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you open to learn more by picking up some videos and books to help you out.

We are able to use Adobe Indesign to print all of our mailing ads and other various types of marketing in house. Faster production with this product and more support then most. You are able to find more information online about this products from other users.

Adobe InDesign review by David S.
David S.

"Hands down the best layout program in existance"

What do you like best?

I have been using Adobe InDesign for almost 8 years. I love just how easy it is to manage all of the content on a single document layout. It works seamlessly with all the Adobe Creative Suite products so I never have any issue with files. I often have to get documents print ready so love how easy it is to export in various formats and specifications. The Smart Guides are a God send! They make it really easy to know that everything is lined up just right.

What do you dislike?

I don't know if there is anything I really dislike about InDesign. Sometimes I have issues with InDesign not connecting properly to Adobe Typekit. This can be really annoying because I use a lot of Typekit fonts and when I can't connect, I don't have access to those fonts. This always tends to happen when I'm approaching a major deadline.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would absolutely recommend Adobe InDesign to anyone. If you are subscribed to the creative cloud, than its a no-brainer. If you are not subscribed to the Creative Cloud, than you probably should use a different software. There is probably very good software out there that is less expensive. Price is going to be the big decision maker here. If your company is paying for your subscription, or if you have a business that can support the full subscription, then it makes sense. I don't think it makes sense for a hobbyist to pay the high price for it.

I use this for almost all of our corporate marketing material. Flyers, catalogs, instruction sheets, sell sheets, etc. Because I have been using it for so long, it has become really easy for me to lay out a document and make it look stunning with a very smooth workflow. It saves me time, energy, and aggravations.

Adobe InDesign review by Alexandra J.
Alexandra J.

"InDesign for Professional Publishing"

What do you like best?

As with all Adobe programs, I enjoy the interface and have found it fairly intuitive to use. The current integration with Adobe CC libraries has been very helpful for me, as I tend to jump back and forth from creating icons and illustrations in Illustrator, editing images in Photoshop, and laying them out in InDesign. I've also taken advantage of the template options provided by Adobe, which have made designing in the correct size even easier. The features are already fairly robust!

What do you dislike?

I wish there was more flexibility in terms of vector and layout options than there is currently. I also would like to see more integration with Photoshop, in the way that Illustrator is integrated. There have been slow and steady upgrades, but I think Adobe can push the capabilities of InDesign even further! And of course, the subscription can be pricey but if you lay out pages and documents regularly then it truly is essential and well worth the money.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I have a coworker who tries to do all of her design work in InDesign, including website wireframes and digital ads, etc and it drives the rest of the team insane. InDesign works so incredibly well for what it was designed for--designing and publishing documents. It does not work well for digital/web projects, those should ideally be created in Photoshop so please spare your teams and don't use InDesign for sites and digital applications!

InDesign is great for laying out PDFs, ads, sell sheets, white papers, and presentations for clients, which is mainly what I use it for. I have used it to make our collateral even better through the use of interactive PDFs, allowing for a better client experience with hyperlinks, embedded audio/video, and the ability to easily publish online for quicker shareability.

Adobe InDesign review by Julieanne M.
Julieanne M.

"Great for creating forms and marketing booklets"

What do you like best?

I like the seamless integration between all adobe programs. If I add a vector I created in illustrator into the indesign doc and end up making some changes to it in illustrator, all I have to do is save it in illustrator and it automatically updates in indesign.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I dislike about Indesign is when I'm working on a content heavy project, all of my media looks so pixelated. I know it has to downgrade the quality so the program doesn't run slow, but I just hate that pixelated look.

I know I mentioned about the seamless integration with illustrator, but it would be nice to have that convenience of making complex vector art work in indesign directly instead of have to switch back and forth.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're familiar with adobe products, this will be easy to use. Even if you're not familiar with their software, the tools and capabilities of indesign will be easy to learn if you put the time in.

Being able to create quick marketing material and branding booklets that are ready to print. This software is so easy to use and more intelligent with it's capabilities that what you can get with other publishing tools available. Along with the ready for print option, it's also very easy to make your project available

in digital format as well.

The benefits that I have realized with this product is the seamless integration it has with all of the other adobe products I use.

Adobe InDesign review by Serena S.
Serena S.

"InDesign is an Essential"

What do you like best?

The character and paragraph styles are a lifesaver in InDesign. When a client decides they don't like a headline color for a 100 page handbook, it only takes 5 seconds to change all of them instead of the hours it would take to change them one-by-one.

What do you dislike?

How InDesign renders imagery or PDFs that you pull in when they are too large. I find myself second guessing the quality of the image I am using and always export the document to double check that it is press quality.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Download the free trial from Adobe and test out the platform before you decide to purchase. Also, definitely go with the Creative Cloud instead of purchasing the product outright. Yes, it is a continual monthly charge, but the frequent updates make it worth it. Also, there are several other benefits when purchasing a Creative Cloud membership.

Creating handbooks, brochures, and booklets is so much easier when using InDesign. Those projects would not even be worth the hassle if we had to use a different platform.

Adobe InDesign review by Ariel B.
Ariel B.

"Great for Beginners - Lots of potential"

What do you like best?

I love that all the Adobe products like Indesign, Photoshop, Illustrator are very similar in their set up. If you're familiar at all with other products, you'll be able to transition to Indesign easily. Indesign is actually probably the easiest program to use, so that's what I would recommend starting with. It's easy to make anything you want to print out, like in-store signage, marketing materials, or even your own christmas card. It's easy to export things to a PDF and share with my friends who don't have Indesign.

What do you dislike?

I dislike how when I connect a second monitor, that sometimes the Indesign window moves itself into a position that it's impossible to access certain buttons. It's hard to explain, but the whole window moves so that the whole top navigation is past the viewable/clickable area. I'm unable to select the window so that I can drag it back into place. I have to disconnect my monitor or completely shut it off. I am also not a fan of their subscription program, I preferred Indesign when I could buy a license and not have to continue paying for it each month. There really aren't any other options with this high standard of software though, so I just have to deal with it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are a beginner there is definitely a learning curve. You will need to dedicate some time to learning the system, but if you want to be able to use any graphic design software, you'll have to do that anyway. It's the most accepted software for this type of design, so it's pretty universal.

We're able to make standard templates look much more professional with Indesign. I can make business cards and easily tweak them for new employees on my own without having to pay a graphic designer.

Adobe InDesign review by Annie K.
Annie K.

"Go-to software for page layout"

What do you like best?

Adobe InDesign is the default software for multi-page layouts and design. I have been in the industry for 10+ years, and there is nothing that comes close. Easily format pages of text through character and paragraph styles. You can then edit the styles and it automatically applies to everything you've defined. Link images, graphics, illustrations, seamlessly. When you update the "linked" elements, it automatically prompts you to update them in your InDesign document.

What do you dislike?

InDesign can be very picky when it comes to application versions. You cannot easily open documents created in newer versions. There are work-arounds, however, you can have the original document creator save the files down as .idml files, but occasionally some formatting is messed up during the process.

Sometimes InDesign can be quirky, and unexpectedly quits, however the auto-save function is wonderful.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Look no further. InDesign is the industry standard for page layout.

Creating layouts in anything but InDesign will end up costing your business more money. You can streamline your process significantly through InDesign. Also, with every update they have a great "what's new" pop up that saves time on having to hunt for the new features. They provide easy to understand quick tips and videos.

Adobe InDesign review by Kim B.
Kim B.

"Easy Desktop Publishing at Your Fingertips!"

What do you like best?

Whether you are creating posters, brochures or text books, Adobe InDesign makes it easy to design. By using paragraph and character styles, formatting becomes a breeze. Headers as well as bold and italic text can be coded so all you will need to do is select text to be formatted and then click a numeral on the keypad to apply. Saves tons of time. This also allows easy formatting changes throughout the document. Simply adjust a font size in a style and it will apply this change to all coded text throughout the document.

What do you dislike?

Unlike PhotoShop, nothing is embedded in InDesign. In order to send files to press, the document must be packaged and links and font folders must be sent to press as well as the INDD document.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do it. You will not regret it.

Adobe InDesign is my go to software when designing a project that will go to press. It allows me to design and edit projects easily and efficiently which saves time and money. Its table creating tools have been very helpful. The capability to precisely measure and place objects as well as flow text from one page to another allows for a stress-free work environment.

Adobe InDesign review by Justin H.
Justin H.

"Great for print"

What do you like best?

I really like their print set up and settings. It is definitely industry standard for all print documents. If I created a vector or image within photoshop or illustrator, I always bring it back into indesign for the final print set up. Masks are an extremely easy tool to use for creating photo boxes and adjusting the placement of photos within the boxes. Masks are not something unique to InDesign, but I am sure glad they felt it was needed!

What do you dislike?

All of adobe's programs are starting to merge together, but until that time, I wish indesign had more tools for image manipulation like photoshop or had larger art-boards like illustrator. Linking images or changing source folders sometimes take a lot longer than I'd like. This could very well have to do with the processing power of my computer & the quantity of imagery that needs updating.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It might be a little bit of a learning curve coming from photoshop, but the tools are very similar and you will never want to use another program to create books or editorial layouts again!

Sending print ready files to a printer is seamless while using Adobe inDesign. Many times, if a pdf is not exporting properly, the printer even accepts the actual design file.

Adobe InDesign review by Stefanie C.
Stefanie C.

"Good for publications"

What do you like best?

InDesign has unique features that let you easily change entire portions of your publication within seconds. The shortcut feature is brilliant and time-saving. The ability to add color palettes and fonts for projects is really neat. You still get to enjoy the cloud library and it functions much like Adobe Illustrator.

What do you dislike?

While it functions in most ways like Adobe Illustrator, I find Illustrator much easier to use. The navigation in InDesign can be tricky. It's sometimes hard to do certain things that take no time in Illustrator. I don't find it useful for anything other than publications.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I always recommend anyone who has no formal training in Adobe software to watch a few tutorial videos on YouTube. Adobe products are not difficult to use but can be extremely tedious for novice users. Do yourself a favor, avoid a headache and watch some videos and follow along (don't pay there are tons of free tutorials out there)

Ability to create print-ready publications without having to purchase another software. The Adobe Suite contains everything you would need for web/print content.

Adobe InDesign review by Peter T. S.
Peter T. S.

"Great software for print design projects"

What do you like best?

I love the versatility of this software. I can create everything from a business card to laying out of a large book and everything in between. In particular I really enjoy the ability to setup the document before starting a project. To be able to set the size, margins, bleed, pages, etc. before I even start designing really helps when starting a project. I also enjoy the ability to link text boxes from one page to the next, which allows you to simply create the text boxes on each page and then you can simply copy and paste the text with ease.

What do you dislike?

I think the one thing that can be a bit annoying is that you have to make sure that any photos, graphics, logos, et.c that you insert into your project are properly linked. Be sure to also send those images along with the inDesign file otherwise the person will not be able to see the file. Additionally, if you move the inDesign file or the images to another folder or location on your computer this can also create an issue and break the link of the image.

Recommendations to others considering the product

My biggest recommendation would be to make sure you have all of the specs (ie size, margin size, bleed size, page number, etc.) for your project before you begin. Being able to set all of this up before you start the project really gets you off on the right foot.

This software gives me the ability to great a wide array of print media projects for my clients. I especially use inDesign for business cards, letterhead, and various print ad products for my clients.

Adobe InDesign review by Sharon M.
Sharon M.

"Pretty much the design standard for layout. "

What do you like best?

It's an Adobe product, so it works seamlessly with other Adobe products, so when you update art in another CS product, it alerts you to the change and updates. You can also place native Illustrator or Photoshop files in, saving the need for conversion. It's versatile, I've used it to layout anything from a small brochure to 200 page books. It's fairly easy to prep and package files for a printer, or save for web.

What do you dislike?

I work on a PC, and I sometimes have trouble when working with someone cross platform on a Mac. It's gotten better, but it's not perfect.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There is really no comparison to InDesign - there are a couple of Open Source products, but if you are a designer in the industry, this is the standard, and it will be a challenge to work with clients without it. The subscription model makes it an easier pill to swallow; though a part of me is concerned about future price hikes and control issues.

I use it mainly for print materials - brochures, newsletters, magazines, catalogs and books, and 1-2 clients have wanted to use it for web layouts (I usually code/design in Dreamweaver, but this client has a coder on staff, but not a designer). Working on web pages, I've realized how versatile of a product Indesign is. I've used InDesign before it was even Indesign (it was a spinoff of the old Aldus PageMaker) - and I've seen it evolve into a powerhouse product.

Adobe InDesign review by Martina Z.
Martina Z.

"Most efficient writing/publishing software I have used to date"

What do you like best?

Once I got used to all the features, I cannot do without the paragraph styles anymore. All the publications are consistent, and for every project, I am using specific styles that never get mixed up. I also love how simple it is to use it together with other Adobe software and the quality of prints I can generate.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing I dislike about Adobe InDesign. For my use, I am delighted with all the functions and the ease of use.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Would highly recommend to use it for any publishing and text-writing work as this will make one get used to it faster and not get confused with functions of other software.

I use it to prepare publications for digital publishing as well as print. The workflow is great, any adjustments and corrections to the text or images can be done really quickly and getting the work done is a lot faster than with other commonly used similar software.

Adobe InDesign review by Spencer M.
Spencer M.

"InDesign makes word processors frustrating"

What do you like best?

The learning curve on InDesign is steeper than a typical word processor like Microsoft Word, but it makes doing even simple layouts so much quicker and less frustrating.

- Being able to define, apply, and then update paragraph & character styles throughout one document is very powerful.

- Likewise, creating frames to bound text & images is very powerful.

- Master pages are also very powerful.

What do you dislike?

- Wish InDesign had a more tools for working with vectors.

- Also I wish there were more options for printing, for example printing irregular sized documents onto letter or legal paper.

- Not 100% stable.

- Creative Cloud is expensive and includes a lot of software and bloat I don't use.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Unfortunately Creative Cloud is expensive. Yet InDesign is maybe (along with Photoshop) the one piece of Adobe I've still found to be irreplaceable.

Everything from on-brand manuals to making brainstorming cards.

Adobe InDesign review by Ray B.
Ray B.

"Great program for almost anything!"

What do you like best?

I personally believe that Adobe InDesign is an all around program that suits almost any needs I have. It is great for brochures, posters, magazines, newspapers, and more as it has all the great essentials and tools from both Illustrator and Photoshop on one interface.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing I particularly dislike about Adobe InDesign, it seems to do the job well for me and I only look forward to any improvements to come!

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are unsure of which program to use for your work, then InDesign is a great start as it features all the tools and essentials you need to get started when it comes to making your business succeed, from brochures, magazines, business cards, and more.

I have been able to create many projects from brochures to magazines all with just InDesign. The interface is easy to navigate and all the tools are accessible with ease. Everything functions the same as with other Adobe programs which is a plus.

Adobe InDesign review by Mario R.
Mario R.

"The best tool to create printables"

What do you like best?

From my point of view, it is an excellent tool for creating files to print (Flyers, books, posters, etc) regardless of its size, it has a fairly simple interface to use. It is one of the most important design tools for every graphic designer.

What do you dislike?

Although the program has a series of "tutorials", they only teach you the most basic, so there are countless functions that you discover as you use the tool, sometimes it can take a long time to masterize it. One of its largest, like ALL tools offered by Adobe, is the price of its subscription, since it is not proportional to the duration of the same, as well as not having a long-term duration, but the renewal It is almost monthly, making it a rather expensive tool with the passage of time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is on of the more useful tool that a graphic designer can have, if you're starting in this world, you should know that InDesign is, together with Illustrator and Photoshop, one of the tools that will most help you develop in the world of graphic design, since many of the tasks or jobs that you will have to do require the implementation of this program.

It is one of the main tools I use in my work, because with it I do everything that has to do with posters, flyers, advertising and all kinds of printables, allowing me to make such projects in a more comfortable and less tedious way.

Adobe InDesign review by Mario G.
Mario G.

"Adobe InDesign in Architecture"

What do you like best?

The best about InDesign is almost the same reason I like the most Adobe products, the best user interface that you can encounter out there with tons of different ways of how to make your projects look good. The same interface that they use for Photoshop or Illustrator, is the same for InDesign, almost identical, and that's what I like the most from Adobe. Also, it allows you to create different sheets, and export or import to a lot of formats, like Jpeg, pdf, png, etc. and that gives you the possibility to be compatible with so many other programs or software as well as a web interface. In personal experience, I use it for architectural presentations and allows me to be so creative and professional at the same time. In small words, you can create a professional but good looking presentation without having to create each and every single page of the document for yourself in another software. Also it allows you to give all your pages one or different patterns or "title blocks" and that is a huge tool on my point of view, because you don't have to go through all the pages again to do one single change, you just change it once on the master page and that is all.

What do you dislike?

There's just almost nothing that I dislike, but if I would have to choose what I don't like, would be the performance issue with your computer. No matter if you have 32 GB of Ram, it will always be a problem to display everything in high quality, but it also gives you low quality so I have no issues using that while working on it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just the best to use for presentations

Architectural Presentations. Great end product for the client.

Adobe InDesign review by Gladys Z.
Gladys Z.

"Excelente programa para Diseñadores y Arquitectos tambien"

What do you like best?

El software de diseño de página simplifica la combinación de texto y gráficos y los presenta en páginas de cualquier tamaño. Algunas versiones de esta aplicación ofrecen una lista de comprobación preliminar, por lo que puede controlar todo lo que ha hecho y debe hacer antes de imprimir.

What do you dislike?

InDesign no ofrece algunas herramientas gráficas que se encuentran en los otros productos de Adobe, pero estas aplicaciones aún ofrecen algunas formas de mejorar sus imágenes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Si está familiarizado con otros productos de Adobe, como Illustrator y Photoshop, se sentirá cómodo al usar InDesign. Sin embargo, si eres nuevo en Adobe, esta herramienta de diseño tendrá una curva de aprendizaje abrupta. El diseño de la interfaz es lo suficientemente simple, con numerosas herramientas y una cinta con otras acciones y configuraciones ubicadas convenientemente. Lo bueno de este software de diseño de página es que puede personalizar la interfaz de manera que se ajuste a sus necesidades.

InDesign es una de las mejores aplicaciones de diseño de página disponibles. Funciona bien con otras aplicaciones de Adobe, por lo que es fácil transferir fotos y gráficos que haya creado con otras aplicaciones a InDesign. El software es complejo, pero a medida que aprenda sus muchos matices, descubrirá que aumenta sus capacidades para crear un documento verdaderamente único y bien diseñado para su publicación.

Adobe InDesign review by Stephanie L.
Stephanie L.

"InDesign and the Editor"

What do you like best?

I enjoy being able to create paragraph and character styles and use swatches to make our products look organized.

What do you dislike?

Unfortunately, despite having our technology department look at my computer multiple times, we cannot fix the malfunction in the drop-down menu (I am unable to select any other choices than the one highlighted) and cannot stop InDesign from shutting down once or twice per day. When you use a program all day, every day, you need it to work without crashing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure to save your projects often. Otherwise, this is a great product!

I am able to help our designer by applying the correct styles and by exporting files to books and PDFs. This takes some work off of her plate and allows our team better functionality in our publishing process. I like that I can see exactly how the text and layout will look in the printed book.

Adobe InDesign review by Luis Guillermo G.
Luis Guillermo G.

"InDesign in my life"

What do you like best?

I absolutely love this software. It is one of the most helpful softwares I've ever had the chance to try and use. Since the very first time using it, and only knowing the Adobe products interface I had the chance to work fluidly with it and the things I couldn't do are so easy to learn by any tutorial and by the support. This tools is way too amazing to work with it.

What do you dislike?

The only thing that I'd love to be improved would be the text editing and styles a bit like Illustrator. Actually that would be the one and only suggestion to the developers, that the text editing on Ai and Id would work like the same.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would hardly recommend the new users to give a look to the interoperativity features with the another softwares of the Adobe Suite and... To use it. It'll be a delightful moment with your inner graphic or editorial designer.

One of my recent works has to do with a project brochure, and this Adobe In Design has made me the tools to be more productive and even creative by the way of making it more easy to customize (the document) and that means a lot in terms of efficiency and deadlines.

Adobe InDesign review by Sam V.
Sam V.

"Adobe InDesign"

What do you like best?

InDesign is by far the best multipage and publishing design program on the market. You would have a hard time trying to find a program as robust as this one when you are creating long-form documents. This also makes the handoff from designer to printer fairly seamless. You would be able to package all links and fonts so that nothing is missing.

What do you dislike?

Some of InDesign's shortcomings come when you are trying to create complex vector illustrations but that can be solved by using illustrator and importing in the designs. Things that come to mind are the pathfinder tool that only allows some of the simple changes to shapes. It would be nice to have a divide tool like illustrator has.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a great program for creating multipage documents but I would definitely look elsewhere if you are looking to create logos, illustrations or edit photos. Almost all of Adobe's products are designed to work seamlessly with one another and you would benefit greatly by downloading all of the Adobe suite rather than one program.

I often use InDesign to create brand standard guides, brochures, and printed items.

Adobe InDesign review by Larissa N.
Larissa N.

"Crucial for Publishing"

What do you like best?

InDesign is really the master software if you are publishing anything. If I'm creating a document with a lot of text for a magazine, flyer or even something smaller like a postcard I prefer to use InDesign. This software is really made for print so naturally your print options are abundant. You can also get very specific with your Pantone(PMS) colors which are updated with the latest Pantone colors for you to choose from. Not only are you able to create beautiful layouts with this program you can even mail merge which has always been an important part of InDesign. If your not printing you can still use InDesign to produce stunning designs. This program is incredibly versatile and I highly recommend using it.

What do you dislike?

As for most Adobe products the short cut keys aren't always the same throughout their programs which I find bothersome especially since I frequently have to jump from one program to the next. A perfect example would be locking an object in inDesign is ctrl+2 and locking an object in Illustrator is ctrl+L. It's not a big deal but like I said it can get annoying at times.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If yourself or your business plan on printing or formatting large amounts of text I highly recommend you go with this product. It's an incredibly useful program that has made my job easier!

All of our printed products or PDF documents are primarily made with Adobe Indesign. Since our company still prints a lot of magazine's and flyers this product has proven to be incredibly useful for us.

Adobe InDesign review by Daniel S.
Daniel S.

"InDesign, nobody else does layout work better than you! "

What do you like best?

InDesign is the leading Layout and Print software out there, it is the most commonly used within the design world and its the king at what it does.

As with the rest of the Adobe Suite of software, InDesign features a large amount of features and customizability.

My favorite feature has to absolutely be "Data Merge", a quick little tool to import Data and easily do those 100 different business card that you need for that one corporation. It gives you the ability to import data to a predefined layout (Which you can define yourself, quite easily) and export it, in a proper layout and design, in a matter of minutes.

The price is absolutely worth it if you intend on doing ANY print work that requires a layout or a multiple-page project.

InDesign, you're my only hope!

What do you dislike?

This has been a huge negative point for the whole Adobe Suite of software, keyboard shorts.

Keyboard shortcuts on InDesign do not match AT ALL, the rest of the Adobe Suite (Eg. Adobe Illustrator), this makes for a slower workflow and a steeper learning curve when starting out.

I've customized 90% of my keyboard shortcuts for this same reason.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Keyboard shortcuts need fixing and overall the entire Adobe Suite of software needs a smoothing out and needs to work more seemingly together (As with the interactions between Adobe Illustrator and Adobe After Effects, those are great!).

Adobe InDesign has greatly increased workflow and speed of production when working on layouts, magazines and most printing projects.

Adobe InDesign review by Brianna F.
Brianna F.

"Perfect for Designing Graphics"

What do you like best?

I like how versatile Adobe InDesign is. I have used it for everything from designing picture graphics to building out forms. You have so much more control over it than you do for simplistic programs like Microsoft Paint of Microsoft Word.

What do you dislike?

I dislike how long it takes to learn InDesign. It's not a very intuitive program. However, I feel that way about most Adobe Creative Suite products, and to be honest, with programs that can do virtually anything, I think that's to be expected.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Linda.com has tons of tutorials to teach you how to use this product to its full capabilities. I would highly suggest spending several hours watching and learning on there. There are certain things you can figure out for yourself by just trying it out on InDesign or Googling specific things you need, but ultimately that will feel more frustrating and take longer, so I would suggest learning the product as much as possible before implementing it.

We are solving the need to have more creative control over the forms we build out to the specifications of our clientele. Microsoft Word was too hard to manipulate, so Adobe InDesign has been perfection.

Adobe InDesign review by Ryan S.
Ryan S.

"Best design platform for intermediate design users"

What do you like best?

I used InDesign for a variety of projects in my research lab, mostly for infographic development as part of a study we were conducting. InDesign provided me with a platform with the right amount of complexity to be able to do the design work I needed to do.

What do you dislike?

If you have little to no design experience, particularly with the Adobe suite, InDesign can be a little difficult to navigate at first. Fortunately, Adobe has some good tutorials you can use to learn the interface and the different functions of the program. I do wish that the program would suggest certain tutorials that I could check out to help improve my efficiency based on actions I was performing with the program that were less efficient than optimal.

InDesign allowed me to easily create occasional infographics, even though I'm not designing every day. It's the perfect program for the occasional designer. I do wish certain functions were easier to figure out.

Adobe InDesign review by Katya A.
Katya A.

"A must-know product for multiple page docs"

What do you like best?

This program is really geared towards projects and documents with multiple pages. Here, more than in any of the other adobe programs, the paragraph, text, and other style setting menus are critical. I love being able to lay out dozens of pages, and then be able to apply a style change to multiple paragraphs without doing the manual work of going back and fiddling with each little chunk.

What do you dislike?

There is a lot of really technical stuff you can do with indesign, but some things (like starting page numbering 3 pages in) requires a headache of digging through online tutorials to figure out. Lots of power, but probably the most technically challenging and least intuitive adobe creative suite program to learn and use.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I hate tutorials myself, but this is not a program you can just learn by fiddling around. Do yourself a favor and watch a video.

Adobe Indesign is excellent for multiple page documents like white papers, sell sheets, magazines, ebooks, newsletters-- basically for anything with a template and lots of text and a need for print ease. It is infinitely better than adobe or photoshop for the sake of templates and revisions and text flowing. Sure, there's some overlap functionality that has been added into illustrator and photoshop, but indesign still has all the power.

Adobe InDesign review by Sabrina B.
Sabrina B.

"Working with InDesign"

What do you like best?

I really enjoy using InDesign because I'm big on editorial design. I love that InDesign has tools such as paragraph Styles and character styles that help me to make headers, subheaders, and body paragraphs match throughout an entire novel or piece. I also love utilizing pre-flight to help me find any errors such as overlapping text or text that's been cut off by text box. Furthermore, I love that I can insert a Photoshop image into an InDesign document and actually still be able to edit the Photoshop image as well and have the changes be rendered in InDesign as they happen. I love that I can insert images and have them linked which means that I can always find the original document or image source. The software is also really good for bulk typesetting.

What do you dislike?

InDesign can get a little complicated to use. Especially if you just leap into the program with both feet without utilizing tutorials or an instructor. Compared to photoshop and illustrator I think that in design is the more complex of the three. It should really only be used by someone interested in publishing or something along the lines of Editorial Design. I can easily see someone who is just trying to get their bearings on the program getting a little confused and a little mixed up especially when it comes to laying down too many text boxes. One of the biggest changes that someone will have to make is instead of using multiple text boxes when it comes to multiple columns they will have to learn how to use the column tool for text. Also if you're not familiar with InDesign you won't really know how to utilize paragraph Styles instead of manually making the headers and subheaders match. I would say if you're going to use this software then you should probably utilize some tutorials maybe on YouTube or on Linda if you have access to it through your University.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think that the level of complexity that I was able to bring to the Mace using InDesign took years of practice to develop so I would definitely say practice with the software. Practice, practice, practice!

I used InDesign all the time when I was working for the Mace and Crown campus newspaper. It was just essential because this was such a large editorial piece. InDesign really helped keep the paper cohesive throughout. I was able to make all the by-lines match and all the body text match in all of the headlines match as well. It just made the Mace and Crown look really professional and it's uniformity. Furthermore, because I was so knowledgeable of the software I was able to really push the limits of what could be done with the campus newspaper and have InDesign help me along the way. I was able to keep the newspaper both avant-garde but at the same time harmonious.

Adobe InDesign review by Kristen T.
Kristen T.

"Great Layout Tool"

What do you like best?

Adobe InDesign has been a very powerful page layout program for me. I have created a countless number of booklets, flyers, brochures, and all things print. It makes it so easy to create multiple page documents, properly edit text, and is so much more design friendly than Microsoft Word. InDesign helps you properly set up files for print, has data merge capabilities, paragraph/character styles, and more. If you don't have a page layout program and are designing things without Adobe Software - you need InDesign!

What do you dislike?

I'm not sure if there is much to dislike about Adobe InDesign. It has helped me grow as a designer. I guess the only thing I can say is that I am using an older version and do not have access to the newer features yet of the newer versions.

Recommendations to others considering the product

My recommendation to anyone considering Adobe InDesign for the first time would be to take a class on it to at least learn the basics. It can be a very complicated program, or seem very foreign, at first glance. However, once you get the hang of it, it will definitely make your life so much easier in the page layout world!

I am solving business problems by having the ability to create booklets and catalogs in a simple way by using spreads. There are so many features to easily create these with page numbers, master pages, spread view, and more.

Adobe InDesign review by Ryan P.
Ryan P.

"Insanely robust tool that's easy to grasp"

What do you like best?

I like the versatility of InDesign the best. I'm not a designer, but have begun using InDesign for some of our design tasks. Our graphic designer gave me a 30 minute overview of how to use some of the tools and that was enough to get going. That said, it's also an insanely robust tool that you can do much more than what I'm currently using it for. I like that versatility.

What do you dislike?

You certainly need an onboarding - quick as it might be - to grasp the functionality of the tool from the get-go.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Depending on your requirements, you'll be able to use this tool on various different levels. I'd encourage you to spend a little time getting to know the product. It really helps to have somebody who is advanced at using InDesign show you the ropes. It will give you a chance to assess up front what you're able to accomplish with the tool and then use only what you need.

We're using InDesign for various design tasks.

Adobe InDesign review by Kendell L.
Kendell L.

"Great for designing print materials"

What do you like best?

Adobe InDesign is a very versatile program. It is equipped with so many features that make it useful for many different applications. Like most of the Adobe Creative Suite, there is a lot to love. I have about 1.5 years of experience with this application, and I'm learning new things all the time. If there's something I need to accomplish, I know that there's a way- I just have to figure it out.

What do you dislike?

There is a big learning curve. Naturally with their being such numerous features, there is a lot of learning to do. I have been teaching myself as I go, and there are still little snags that I come across when designing that I have never figured out how to easily work around. While there are probably solutions to these little snags, they are not intuitive enough for me to have figured out the work-arounds so far without searching for support online- and I consider myself a pretty good problem-solver.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great product. If you're teaching yourself, open up some documents from other users and play around to see what's possible.

I use Adobe InDesign to design postcards, newsletters, posters, and other types of documents for our business. I am able to effectively create these documents, upload them to our website, or print them and mail them out to our mailing list looking just as good on the screen as they do in hand.

Adobe InDesign review by Luca P.
Luca P.

"Editorial design for print or devices"

What do you like best?

Thanks to InDesign you can create different projects ranging from print to the creation of native apps for iOS or Android, or ePub documents, all with various professional tools that other software do not have available. The use of liquid layout is an incredible function.

What do you dislike?

You could insert tools that concern the creation of native app easier to use and above all you should give everyone the opportunity to compile their app directly from the software, without additional payments.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is essential for those who make multi-page graphic layouts and for those who work in the editorial design, excellent for both print and interactive pdf or ePub files.

I use it above all for the creation of catalogs, magazines, newspapers, and interactive pdf. But also brochures or leaflets, taking advantage of the use of master pages and excellent compatibility with Photoshop and Illustrator.