Adobe InDesign

Adobe InDesign is a versatile desktop publishing application that gives you pixel- perfect control over design and typography.

Work for Adobe InDesign?

Learning about Adobe InDesign?

Adobe InDesign Reviews

Showing 1836 Adobe InDesign reviews
Adobe InDesign review by <span>Molly M.</span>
Molly M.

Dependable System for Creating Layouts

What do you like best?

My favorite features of InDesign are the layout settings--in which I can set up an underlying grid to my designs--and the ability to create paragraph and character styles. InDesign makes it easy to create consistent pages in a document, and I can easily make global changes by adjusting these features.

What do you dislike?

I'm not sure if it's the printers I'm using or InDesign itself, but sometimes I find it difficult to print documents, which often take 30 minutes to send to the printer. Sometimes the program becomes unresponsive when I try to adjust the print settings. Otherwise, I think it's one of the most solid Adobe programs in terms of its capabilities and ease of use.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I work back and forth between InDesign and Microsoft Word when dealing with text because there is no grammar check feature within InDesign, so I always copy and paste.

I use InDesign from a creative side and also as a way to make professional tools, such as invoice sheets, presentations, and budgets. While not as intuitive as the Microsoft products, it's a great way for me to make highly customized documents that stand out.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Adobe InDesign
Adobe InDesign review by <span>Jessica D.</span>
Jessica D.

White Papers? Check!

What do you like best?

If you work on white papers frequently, like I do, you know that if you want them to look good you need to move beyond Microsoft Word or Google Docs. InDesign is the perfect tool for text-heavy designs because it's designed specifically for editing print documents. It's got great typography and color tools and it's a breeze to make layout changes.

What do you dislike?

Now for the bad stuff... InDesign is frustrating sometimes because it breaks so many of the paradigms you're used to from Photoshop and Illustrator. While there are usually good reasons for these choices, it just feels unfamiliar enough that it can be frustrating to hit the wrong shortcuts and forget momentarily why something isn't working.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need to create white papers or other print documents, I strongly recommend giving InDesign a try.

I use InDesign to create layouts for white papers and other "print" documents. It's a beautiful tool that helps me every day.

What Desktop Publishing solution do you use?

Adobe InDesign review by <span>Maria M.</span>
Maria M.

Great for Complicated Print Document Design

What do you like best?

I work on a lot of complicated brochures and print designs with copy that goes through multiple stages of edits concurrent to the design process. InDesign is fantastic for this because it's designed specifically with print in mind. The tools to lay out text and preserve spacing and kerning even after significant copy edits are second to none!

What do you dislike?

InDesign would really benefit from better handling of exports from other Adobe tools. Adobe Bridge is completely inadequate for my needs and it takes too much time to properly import images in the right way.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have a simple print project, you can use just about any design tool to produce it. But if you expect multiple edits and changing copy, InDesign is the right tool for the job.

Adobe InDesign makes complex print layouts a snap to create, edit, and maintain. It's the only tool that lets me get these types of project done on time.

Adobe InDesign review by <span>Noa B.</span>
Noa B.

Best Product for portfolios!

What do you like best?

How easy it is to create layouts and spreads the are organized. Also very easy to readjust the size of your drawing/photo in spread. I mostly use this product for architecture presentations and layouts, and I find that indesign is a lot more user friendly than other products on the market.

What do you dislike?

I wish that this project had more of the capabilities that Photoshop does. I wish I was able to draw more in Indesign. Otherwise there isn't a lot that I dislike about Indesign. I think it is a bit to expensive for students (as a complete adobe creative cloud package, which includes Photoshop and Illustrator as well) but for architects and architecture students it is a must!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Practice! Practice! Practice!

I use indesign to show my work, and in my opinion it's a lot easy to use for formatting letters, reports, magazine spreads, etc. in a creative way than Microsoft word.

Adobe InDesign review by <span>Mary M.</span>
Mary M.

LOVE InDesign for Publishing

What do you like best?

For print work, in my opinion, there is no other software that compares to InDesign. There is so much I can accomplish with ease. I can even scan in documents and prevent myself from having to spend all that time typing. I can add photos, graphs, columns - virtually anything needed to quickly write and prepare for print an article, a brochure,a menu and so much more.

What do you dislike?

I can't think of a single thing I dislike about InDesign. At one point in my career, I loved Pagemaker. InDesign took the place of Pagemaker and in no time I learned how and why.. In Design can do so much more than Pagemaker ever could. Given time, Pagemaker would've become more like InDesign, I feel sure.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Ease of use. I only said lack of support in that my InDesign has issues with crashing. Though I've sent multiple reports to Adobe, I've never received any information or backup as to what could be causing the problem.

I sometimes dislike getting to all the choices of fonts I have the way InDesign is set up but overall, InDesign is a much easier piece of software to use for publishing, creating ads that simply require some text and pasting a photo. It is simple to use and produces a great deal of professionalism in one program.

Adobe InDesign review by <span>Jonathan Lien H.</span>
Jonathan Lien H.

Full-featured and fluid, InDesign is top of the line

What do you like best?

Adobe InDesign is a very smooth, functional piece of software. It makes basic typesetting easy and getting your designs print-ready a breeze. It is almost invisible in its effortless usability. If I were not married to other Adobe products, the thought of trying an alternative to this software may have crossed my mind, but as it stands, I see no good reason to try anything different, because of InDesign's integration with Creative Cloud and, thus, with the bulk of my design work.

What do you dislike?

One of my primary beefs with InDesign, and keep in mind that this is a fairly minor issue, is that the integration with other Adobe products, while they are strongly integrated from a creative perspective through the Adobe Creative Cloud, there is some pesky inconsistencies between keyboard shortcuts and basic software behaviors with Photoshop and Illustrator. This is probably not a major issue for professionals who spending most of their time focusing on specific Adobe software products, it is annoying for a self-employed freelancer like myself who is constantly switching between Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign. Another thing I dislike, as I have mentioned in previous Adobe software reviews, is the high price of Adobe Creative Cloud software.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is extraordinary useful as part of a larger package, the Adobe Creative Cloud suite. If you have a need for this type of software, and already use Photoshop or Illustrator, I would highly recommend it, if you can afford it.

Adobe InDesign, while perhaps not as "essential" as Photoshop, for example, is very useful in conjunction with other products in the Creative Cloud suite. It solves a inconvenience problem.

Learning about Adobe InDesign?

* We monitor all Adobe InDesign reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.