Adobe InDesign

(2,173)

Adobe InDesign is a versatile desktop publishing application that gives you pixel- perfect control over design and typography.

Work for Adobe InDesign?

Learning about Adobe InDesign?

Adobe InDesign Reviews

Showing 2,179 Adobe InDesign reviews
Adobe InDesign review by Charles A.
Charles A.

"Typographic capabilities"

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Adobe InDesign
Adobe InDesign review by Kathlyn J.
Kathlyn J.

"Great Program for Layout Design"

What do you like best?

It's widely used, and all files can be saved as PDFs. It's very user friendly once you've discovered all the features. It plays well with Adobe Illustrator. There are also many helpful tutorials online to further master Indesign.

What do you dislike?

It is a learning curve. I find it frustrating that links have to be handled so carefully in order to maintain image quality. I also use Adobe Illustrator regularly and find the different shortcuts for the same things (for example, locking an asset) confusing at times. In my dream world, Adobe Illustrator and Adobe InDesign would be combined into one comprehensive interface.

All layout design, particularly for booklets, pamphlets, and brochures going to print are created on Indesign. Recently, I created a magazine style book explaining our business procedures and policies. Indesign allows for beautiful, creative design that can be exported into readable files for the end user. Most print companies are very familiar with Indesign.

What Desktop Publishing solution do you use?

Adobe InDesign review by Ashley K.
Ashley K.

"Great program for designing..posters, banners, menus, signs"

What do you like best?

Being able to use CC Libraries, the easy type formatting and placing of files. The tools are easy to use and very functioning for what you need them for. You can easily make any kind of sign or menu or even a book in the program, it has so many multi use functions the other progams dont offer.

What do you dislike?

That it is missing some functions Illustrator has, that I think would be utilized just as well in Indesign

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would choose to use Indesign over Illustrator or any other adobe progam. So much easier to use!

We make all our advertising for our signs, menus, posters, banners and using the CC Libraries has allowed us to create templates to make our design faster, so when we are only changing out prices we have work done very quickly in half the time as opposed to starting the design from scratch. It allows us to save our logos and any other images we might need to quickly access. It has made our sign shop and design team more efficient and streamlined.

Adobe InDesign review by User

"Never Looked Back!"

What do you like best?

Adobe InDesign is almost kind of a necessity for projects requiring the use of both texts and visuals. It allows me to incorporate both seamlessly when I'm working on a large project, such as a report that requires photos, designs, and texts. What I like best is how optimal this is compared to Adobe Illustrator and other programs for projects that require many pages. For example, I was able to create a 30 page report using Adobe InDesign, for which I would not have been able to do using other programs.

What do you dislike?

What I dislike is that everytime I open up an Adobe InDesign file, I always get an error message saying that the fonts on my project are missing and could not be found. However, this never made sense to me as the fonts were initially also from Adobe InDesign so I'm unsure as to how they can be "missing." Besides this little error message that always pops up, everything is great.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would highly reccomend for others to give a test to Adobe InDesign as I think it really is one of the best programs ever created. Using it is always so much fun and it is just great to have on your computer since it can useful for so many different types of projects.

The business problem that we solved with Adobe InDesign is being able to produce our own content that includes graphic design. We no longer have to rely on a 3rd party to work on our annual reports and organizational reports and now, we can do this ourselves. A benefit we realized is that we're saving money not having to rely on another person to do graphic design work for us.

Adobe InDesign review by User in Non-Profit Organization Management
User in Non-Profit Organization Management

"Much Better Alternative"

What do you like best?

I think most graphic designers rely much more on Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator than they do with Adobe InDesign. However, I personally believe that Adobe InDesign is much more superior than any of the other ones as I can do so much here! Using Adobe InDesign, I was able to create new visuals for our emails and social media pages in order to advertise/market a new program in our organization.

What do you dislike?

What I disliked is that there aren't a lot of instructions (or any at all) when you first begin using Adobe InDesign. I wished there was a tutorial from Adobe showing how to do everything. I feel as if since it's kind of hard to navigate around InDesign, I still haven't been able to do that everything I can possibly do on the software.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would reccomend to others to try out Adobe InDesign and see if they like it. I liked it a lot and think it's great to use.

A business problem that we solved with Adobe InDesign is that we no longer have to just submit photos on social media. Now, we can create stunning visuals in order to increase our engagement with followers. What's great is how little money we had to spend to get such a great outcome.

Adobe InDesign review by User in Non-Profit Organization Management
User in Non-Profit Organization Management

"Great for Marketing Purposes!"

What do you like best?

What I like best is that Adobe InDesign is a great supplement to Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Photoshop. While the others allow for editing photos and creating content necessary for branding such as logos, Adobe InDesign enables me to create flyers, posters, banners, and other graphical content for promotional purposes.

What do you dislike?

What I dislike is how frustrating it can be to duplicate pages, as I'm still not sure as to how the Master Pages option works, as it's somewhat difficult to understand. In addition, I also find it a little harder to navigate with my keyboard, as the shortcuts are a little different from other Adobe products.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Absolutely amazing and I'm sure it will be a great asset to your company like how Photoshop is to many. I'd highly reccomend using InDesign to fulfill your graphic design needs!

A business problem that we solved with Adobe InDesign is creating posters and flyers to post and share to our audience. By creating these with Adobe Indesign, we are able to export them into whatever format we prefer and share it with our audience.

Adobe InDesign review by Kristy K.
Kristy K.

"InDesign a Necessity for Page Layout!"

What do you like best?

ID gives you the ability to create practically anything! Books, magazines, pamphlets, postcards, letterhead -- you name it. It includes high-powered tools that allow you to automate many activities, thereby streamlining your work time. It also allows you to be completely precise with your typography and integrates well with Illustrator and Photoshop.

What do you dislike?

Some of the tools are cumbersome to use at first -- like learning GREP code. You have to do a lot of studying to understand how to use it properly. This is really the only issue I ever run into: knowing that ID has a function that I want to use but it's sometimes difficult to figure out how to do it or make it work correctly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It will likely take a while to learn all the bells and whistles that come with this program, but the end result will be well worth it. ID is the industry standard for page layout -- I don't know any designers who use another program. I would recommend taking some courses on Lynda.com to really understand all of the functionalities of this program.

I use InDesign exclusively when I need to design for page layout of any type. This program gives me the tools I need to create professional quality designs for my clients, and for my own marketing materials.

Adobe InDesign review by Katie B.
Katie B.

"Useful, but not very user friendly"

What do you like best?

I like that InDesign allows you to customize so many settings, from the font type and color to the background, to the way to insert pictures. I also like the sheer volume and variety of tools that it provides.

What do you dislike?

InDesign is not user friendly at all, to me. The icons provided for the tools are not very intuitive, and there are so many options! I wish it was more streamlined to get where you need to be. I can usually use softwares very easily, with no outside help, but with InDesign, I am constantly having to Google how to do the most basic functions, like resizing a picture while keeping its proportions the same, for example. It is ridiculous and impedes my productivity with the software.

I am using InDesign to create our departmental newsletter. The final product does look beautiful once it is converted into PDF format, and it was actually pretty easy to convert indd files to PDFs. Anyway, this newsletter is used to communicate events, news, and other happenings that are relevant to the people in the psychology department, along with university alumni.

Adobe InDesign review by Patrick M.
Patrick M.

"Great for designing text-heavy graphics"

What do you like best?

I create graphics for a print and online news source. I find that InDesign is the ideal tool for creating clean and impactful graphics and ads, particularly if the graphics are heavy on text. It's easy to import and place elements from other programs, and I like the y final product has a sharp and clean look.

What do you dislike?

When I'm creating an ad that utilizes illustrations and pictorial elements, I find ifit a bit more difficult to import and manipulate those elements. For me, In Design works best on text and fonts. The interface is not intuitive and using jpegs, for instance, requires a bit more thought about process.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is ideal for creating text heavy graphics. If you're using pictorial elements, I would recommend Adobe Illustrator

I'm creating clean and sharp graphics and ads quickly. Speed is important due to the volume of graphics that need to be created on deadline.

Adobe InDesign review by Samuel O.
Samuel O.

"Indesign "The most versatile tool for editorial design and layout" "

What do you like best?

It is truly a wonderful, powerful, very versatile tool that has a very complete interface and has multiple functions. It is ideal for editorial design and layout, being able to carry out simple projects such as flayer, manuals, catalogs, color brochures, black and white, with texts, images; even more complex creations such as magazines, conventional and interactive books, newspapers and many other publications, being also a compiler of images, vectors and texts.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it is unstable and tends to close itself, requires a good team to avoid obstacles, or errors when editing or include multimedia files and the learning curve is long, so you have to be patient, until you can handle it completely.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Indesigh, is the number one application worldwide for editorial design, and that speaks for itself, in terms of reliability and versatility and quality.

Another important feature of this tool is that it is easily integrated with other applications of the adobe suite, which allows users to use illustrator and Photoshop resources without having to resort to third applications. It also allows you to share projects on social networks, such as Facebook, twitter, or email, with a single click.

There are many benefits that this application provides when working with it, being the standard when it comes to designing an editor, so the papers presented are widely accepted by all. It is also very effective when managing the paging of documents, and ideal for working with large amounts of texts and very useful for handling large or heavy files, many pages, or collections of books

Adobe InDesign review by Danielle C.
Danielle C.

"Fun and efficient"

What do you like best?

It is very user friendly and I am able to get my work done for my client in a timely manner. Templates are helpful when I am in a time pinch and need a design done quickly. I love the quality of the designs I create, even when they are exported to JPEGs or PDFs. My client is always very pleased with the look of the designs and the timeliness that I am able to get them done in, thanks to InDesign.

What do you dislike?

Honestly there isn’t much I dislike. Sometimes it glitches but I’m not sure if it is the app or my MacBook causing the issues. The glitches are not anything major. Sometimes I cannot resize everything by holding down command and shift, but if I close out the program and restart it, it will work fine. I do notice that it seems to update frequently which can be inconvenient at first, but is better in the long run because it means that the program is constantly improving to meet the user's needs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend this program based on its usefulness to me and the company I work for. It has been more than sufficient for designing flyers, brochures, timelines, web content and anything else we need. I am able to design quickly and effectively.

I am able to design flyers, brochures, posters, web content and anything else that my client requires of me in a timely manner.

Adobe InDesign review by Chelsea H.
Chelsea H.

"A Necessary Program for Marketers"

What do you like best?

I like the ease of the program when it comes to text layout. I primarily make proposals for the Architectural industry using InDesign and I love it. It provides versatile design and text layout options, so much more easily than Microsoft Word or other text programs.

What do you dislike?

I honestly don't dislike anything about it, besides that it crashes sometimes after I've been running it a while with multiple documents, but I'm sure that happens with any program.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You should probably purchase the whole basic Adobe Creative Suite (Indesign, Photoshop and Illustrator) since they compliment each other well. You can use InDesign for the text layouts, and Illustrator for vector-based art within your project, and photoshop to edit photos. It might be pricy, but I did get my personal package with a student discount which helped. For a mid-sized business like mine with a marketing department, this program is a must-have.

Easy text layout among multiple pages and documents is a life saver. I have to work with many layout and font size restrictions for proposals and without InDesign my documents would be difficult to organize.

Adobe InDesign review by Santiago G.
Santiago G.

"Best desktop publishing software"

What do you like best?

It makes easy to create fast actions to automate the work when creating books and magazines. I have a lot of master files that are ready to work in new projects and make a very fast workflow. It´s easy to change styles with only one click, make massive replacements in the document with the search tool and export the document to send it and print.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it freezed or closed without show error, not a common issue but when it happens it frustates the user. If you are using the last version of the software, you cannot open your work with older indesign versions, i had an old computer with indesign 2015 and was not able no to open a 2018 indesign file.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It´s a cheap option if you think about what it offers. Nice software, makes my work a lot easier.

I actually work publishing books for a client, most are novels with only text with headers, index, some mixed styles and all that stuff. Sometimes i create small magazines and similar. Other text editors has posibilities to edit books but doen´t have all the details that indesign has.

Adobe InDesign review by Irina G.
Irina G.

"Muy buena herramienta para material impreso "

What do you like best?

Tablas, paginación, indice, Indesign brilla en lo que falla a Adobe Illustrator, es esencial si editas documentos largos con textos que se expanden en varias paginas, pero sin perder toda la libertad creativa de trabajar con vectores y fotos que te da herramientas de diseño como Illustrator, también ofrece integración con los demás programas de la suite adobe, pudendo utilizar tanto el copiar y pegar entre los programas como la importación de material solamente arrastrando el archivo.

What do you dislike?

Las herramientas de diseño no son tan completas y funcionales cuanto illustrator, y su forma de trabajar s algo mas difícil, necesitando algo mas de tiempo para adaptarse, pero supongo que es principalmente por yo tener más experiencia y facilidad con diseño gráfico que maquetación.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Muy indicado para documentos con muchas paginas, para material mas reducido puede que Illustrator os sirva mejor.

Como la mayoría de material que hacemos con folletos y material para web con pocas paginas, la verdad es que utilizamos Illustrator mucho mas menudo, pero i tenemos algún material de marketing con más contenido para los cuales utilizamos Adobe Indesign.

Adobe InDesign review by Joseph S.
Joseph S.

"A good program to use in conjunction with Illustrator "

What do you like best?

Indesign works very nicely when laying out brochures of magazines, for example it has tools to easily manage the flow of text into columns, and quickly change layout options.

What do you dislike?

There is a lack good integrated vector editing tools, such as the pen tool included in illustrator. Thie makes it a little annoying to go back and forth between the Adobe programs. I feel like I am constantly switching between Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign while working on different client projects.

The price is also quite high due to the fact that it comes bundled with all of Adobe's other programs. I also do not like how Adobe moved away from downloaded versions of their software to a subscription-based service.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a very good program to use, in fact, I would consider it the industry standard. However, it is very expensive and comes packaged with the rest of the Adobe suite (Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Acrobat, and Illustrator.)

I use InDesign to work on print projects for clients that require extensive layout work such as magazines and brochures.

Adobe InDesign review by Andrew M.
Andrew M.

"Best layout software"

What do you like best?

Years ago I moved from Quark to Indesign 2.0. and the transition was awesome. Indesign uses the familiar tools you love from illustrator and photoshop but so much more for layout.

I especially love the display performance modes, use fast display when just working with copy, and high quality when working with graphics. Other great features to note are Master pages, and scripts. Scripts allow you to automate repetitive tasks and speed up workflow.

What do you dislike?

I don't really like the IDML file system to back save to previous versions on indesign, but that is not a deal breaker. It can just be confusing when trying to communicate to someone else how to save indesign files for a lower version. Illustrator for example, just lets you choose which version you would like to save to, CS5 CS4 etc.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are going to be doing any sort of page layout, or multiple page documents Adobe Indesign is the right program to use, especially if you are familiar with any Adobe software because there is a lot of common tools and menu items. This makes the learning a new program not so intimidating.

Biggest benefit would be time saving when working with large format graphics. Occasionally I will even use Indesign to layout graphics that I would normally in illustrator just because of the fast display mode.

For page layout, or any multiple page documents Indesign is the only tool I use because it meets all of my needs.

Adobe InDesign review by Alyson B.
Alyson B.

"Terrible Customer Service"

What do you like best?

The design possibilities are endless on here. I was able to redo my many of the marketing materials my company uses through this one program.

What do you dislike?

It took more than a week for customer service to fix my program, even though they said it was marked as a priority. It kept shutting my entire laptop down and I need this program for work. Customer service employees were rude and not willing to listen to the problems that I was having, they kept telling me it was already fixed! I also had to talk to four different employees. I kept getting my calls cut off and they would not connect me with the previous person I spoke with and they never called me back.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Never call customer support, it was a complete waste of time for me. I could find another design program with all of the capabilities of InDesign I would switch in a heart beat after my experience with their customer support.

I design brochures, invites, and flyers by using the Adobe InDesign. This has been great for updating out marketing materials.

Adobe InDesign review by Sierra  L.
Sierra L.

"Complicated at first glance but great potential "

What do you like best?

I just recently started using Adobe InDesign for the graphic design aspect of Marketing, and so far it's great for making brochures and job proposals. It's quite difficult to navigate at first, therefore I've been watching numerous tutorial videos in order to teahc myself how to use InDeisgn properly and most effectively.

What do you dislike?

Thus far, I've disliked how long it takes to first learn everything Adobe InDesign has to offer. Although there are a plethora of tutorial videos on different websites including Youtube, had I not watched these long videos, I most likely wouldn't have been able to figure InDeisgn out on my own.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This program is great if you're looking to impress your boss, especially if you are in marketing. InDeisgn allows you to create impressive graphics that only a graphic design major would otherwise know.

I've been able to really impress my boss with my nifty graphic designs. Adobe InDesign is not ony great for making graphics, but you're able to put together proposals, make brochures, posters, marketing and advertising signs, and much more. Additionally, knowing Adobe InDesign is beneficial in learning Adobe Illustrator, a complement progran.

Adobe InDesign review by Rachel Y.
Rachel Y.

"Professional documents with minimal effort"

What do you like best?

I like the ability to tweak the text with precise kerning, tracking and leading. I also like the column option that allows you to spread a header across the page as opposed to creating a new text box. Moving text boxes around, while maintaining an already set text wrap makes life easier.

What do you dislike?

The linking of text can be difficult to undo without removing the formatting. Even with paragraph styles, unlinking text from another page can create a mess.

I am not able to resize .jpgs within InDesign, having to return to Photoshop is a pain.

Character styles seem redundant, for the most part. I rarely use it, I can just tweak my individual paragraph style.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take some tutorials through Lynda.com or watch some You Tube videos. Once you get a solid foundation, the learning curve is manageable.

I am able to import vectors to create mock-up of a web page design (Illustrator does not offer quick and efficient text formatting options).

InDesign allows me to create colorful text boxes, basic shapes and maintains the text formatting should I tweak the shape or round the corners

Adobe InDesign review by Michael T.
Michael T.

"The King of The Hill in Desktop Publishing"

What do you like best?

Ease of use, Cross-platform files, panels, typography, simple drawing tasks, being able to put small graphics into the text box of your content, allowing it to flow and be near text you need it to be and looking like it might be a font instead of a graphic. Indesign's ability to do almost everything well but kick ass publishing output for print, e-readers or online content is outstanding. Being able to preset everything is a really nice touch throughout Adobe products but with many documents being a grind to get through, it really shines here. Having a visual meter when producing output, like for creating pdf's letting you know things are still progressing.

If you've worked in an ad agency, this is your number one production workhorse, capable of creating many different iterations of the same content for different executions.

What do you dislike?

Like most complex programs there can be a lag when starting up and font loading, depending upon how you activate your fonts can be tricky. Oh and watch out for on the fly font substitutions by the program if you switch form Windows to Mac with the same file. But hey, at least you can do that sort of cross-platform work, yes?

Recommendations to others considering the product

100% you need it.

large publications, multiple language publications, one-sheets, ads and the like - actually for ad work across multiple sized iterations and languages, it's amazing.

Adobe InDesign review by Baldomero C.
Baldomero C.

"Buen programa, pero le falta algo"

What do you like best?

Es un programa muy potente y funcional, aunque algo confuso en algunos momentos o instrucciones. Lo mejor, sin duda alguna, es su total compatibilidad y retroalimentacion con Adobe Photoshop, como es lógico pensar. Esto hace poder importar y exportar proyectos de uno a otro, con las ventajas que ello conlleva. Las páginas maestras están muy bien implementadas, con muchas opciones útiles a la hora de componer.

What do you dislike?

Lo que hace que InDesign no sea mi primera opción, frente a otros programas similares, es lo poco intuitivo que es con respecto a esos otros programas. La interfaz puede parecer confusa, y los comandos muchas veces estan muy mal localizados, con atajos tan poco prácticos como dificiles de recordar.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Hay otros programas de diseño y maquetación mejores para mi gusto, sin embargo es un gran programa y la alta compatibilidad que tiene con Photoshop es un gran aliciente para su adquisición

Al ser más potente que otros productos de la competencia, es capaz de generar archivos más grandes en menos tiempo. Sin embrago, para trabajos cotidianos no es mi primera opción.

Adobe InDesign review by Alana P.
Alana P.

"Indesign is the BEST for single and multipage layout design"

What do you like best?

Indesign makes it very easy by automatically including your live area guides for ideal margins. I can tell immediately when someone uses another program that does not assist with margin suggestions.

What do you dislike?

If I had to identify sometime I disliked about Indesign, it would have to be the fact that is does not have robust graphics tools. However, it is designed that way on purpose! Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop fulfill those needs. Once the graphic/image is finalized in one of those programs, I simply drop it into Indesign.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is truly an amazing tool if you want to create polished materials whether they be digital or print. There are many details, such as snapping guides and alignment features, that make Adobe Indesign a true gem to work with.

We use Indesign for a multitude of things. It is our first choice for print and digital publishing. This includes case studies, one pagers, product info sheets, press releases, internal company documents, e-books, printed books/ product guides... etc. The list goes on. Beautiful program.

Adobe InDesign review by Justin M.
Justin M.

"The best way to design your book!"

What do you like best?

InDesign does everything I need and still runs light on my computer. By that, I mean it's always responsive and never lags. I love Adobe, but my bottom-of-the-line Macbook Pro has trouble with some heavier software. The folks who built InDesign are smart, and even with a page full of photos, my design process doesn't get interrupted with that horrible spinning color wheel.

What do you dislike?

I wish InDesign had a few more of Adobe Illustrators vector based features. Sometimes I have to create more complex objects in Illustrator and copy/paste them in. I am glad copy/paste works well between the two programs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Access to great downloadable templates let me complete projects in half the time (at least). You also have complete design control, as opposed to Microsoft Office solutions. Other similar softwares just frustrate me after being spoiled by InDesign.

I use InDesign for booklets and other heavy text publications (anything with two or more pages that won't require other people's editing abilities). There are wild amounts of templates available online for Indesign. The Master Pages then allow you to quickly tweak a templates design across an entire document.

Adobe InDesign review by Abbey L.
Abbey L.

"Senior Graphic Designer's review of InDesign"

What do you like best?

I have been using InDesign for the past 15 years and it is a great program for designing presentations, books or other multi-page documents. I'm much happier with it now that I am much more used to using it. In my first few years using InDesign I found some things difficult to figure out. I'm glad Adobe has implemented blending modes and vector elements!

What do you dislike?

I have had major issues with transparency -- certain blending modes result in strange appearances in PDF and sometimes in print! That should really be looked into.

I've also had some difficulty scaling grouped vector elements, which has not been ideal. I've had to go back into Illustrator and adjust until I figure out the perfect size for my InDesign document. It would be great if Adobe could fix this!

When designing printed booklets that require printer spreads setups, I have struggled with the automated tool. It still does not set my design up correctly into printer spreads and I have had to manually adjust the pages.

Recommendations to others considering the product

InDesign is great for book layouts, presentations, and other multi-page documents! You can easily set up a few masters to keep consistent elements in the same place on different pages. You have a lot of the flexibility of blending modes and type tools in Photoshop and Illustrator but many capabilities specific for multi-page documents that you won't find in those programs. (I have also worked on presentations in Illustrator using multiple art boards but have found this to be a bit cumbersome.)

I have used InDesign to set up several different music packaging products my company has released. I have also utilized the program to create many presentations for my company's internal needs.

Adobe InDesign review by Jeremiah B.
Jeremiah B.

"Use it for Menu Layouts and Portfolio Work"

What do you like best?

It's very handy for text-based design work. There are many options for adding text-specific measurements like picas which really lends itself to layout more readily.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that I can't have as many readily-editable graphic features. The linking system is really handy for keeping the file size down, but it's not really as helpful since I like to have all my project pieces in one place as I work often on different computers.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This product is for text almost exclusively, be prepared to also invest in photoshop or some other graphics programs if there are more visual resources your design works with.

We are solving menu setup for many different restaurants. We are often tasked with designing the menus to keep the look of the restaurants cohesive, and this program is effective in helping line up text most effectively.

Adobe InDesign review by Corey M.
Corey M.

"A great publishing program that wonderfully integrates into the rest of the adobe suite"

What do you like best?

If you're familiar with other Adobe products, you'll feel incredibly comfortable using this program. The interface is simple enough, and the tools are intuitive and have similar behavior to illustrator and photoshop. The liquid layout feature is also amazing if you are designing for multiple platforms. Basically this feature allows you to create a logic to how your page will flow depending on if the screen size will change (going from phone to tablet for example)

What do you dislike?

As with all of Adobe's products, a monthly subscription is required to access the program. Also, the program is pretty much exclusively used for page layout. There are no photo editing tools. So, if that is what you need as well, your going to have to have access to photoshop or some other design application.

I use indesign all the time for laying out brochures and complex, multi-page HR documents. It allows you to easily go back into the document and update content.

Adobe InDesign review by Jennifer S.
Jennifer S.

"Good for intermediate to advanced desktop publishing"

What do you like best?

If you're creating an extensive company newsletter, an ebook for your product, a newspaper for your school, etc, this is likely the software that you need. It is a high-end desktop publishing product and was the standard back when I was working in newspapers. From what I've heard, it still is.

What do you dislike?

If you're working on smaller projects, you can spend a ton of time just getting things set up and ready for content. For smaller projects, unless you use InDesign a lot, I would recommend other desktop publishing software.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take some time to learn how to use the product, how to create your custom items that you can add to your library, etc well before you need to create your finished item. It's a very powerful product, but can also take some time to learn.

I used this quite heavily back when I worked in newspapers - it was the software we used to create all of our newspaper layouts, insert content, etc and then send it to the publisher to be printed. If you're going to be working with a professional printer, this is a very good product to invest in, as it's made for exactly that. It will add all of the crop marks and other tools necessary for your products to be properly printed, cut, and finished. I also used this software a lot in college to create professional looking reports and other documents.

Adobe InDesign review by Claire G.
Claire G.

"Best Document Design Software"

What do you like best?

Indesign is intuitive. I like the extra space on the board where you can leave elements you aren't sure if you want to use or not without putting them in the document. I like the level of customization - i.e. that you can change the color of the background of your workspace from light gray to dark gray. I love that you can drag and drop pages into any order you want (especially the option to disable "document shuffle") Another customization feature I find useful is the ability to set the increments of how much an element moves with each tap of the arrow keys (can move a lot or a smaller amount).

What do you dislike?

Sometimes when switching between monitors and laptop, the toolbar gets lost and is very hard to locate. On certain laptops (I have an HP at work) the space bar shortcut doesn't work when zooming the same way it works when hooked to a monitor and keyboard. I wish the spacebar worked all the time for that.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Indesign is by far the best - it's ruined even Microsoft Word for me!

Designing training documents, one-pagers, white papers, etc.

Adobe InDesign review by Jenny W.
Jenny W.

"Fantastic for text-heavy layout design"

What do you like best?

I like that I'm able to work with a lot of precision in this program. Because it's a design program and not just a word processor with a few preset design capabilities, you have complete control over the placement of your text and graphics.

What do you dislike?

I wish I could do more graphic manipulation directly in this program rather than relying on photoshop and illustrator. It would be nice if there was one mega product that combined all three programs for designers.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I highly recommend InDesign, especially if you are working with text-heavy layout designs. It plays well with Photoshop and Illustrator, allowing for instant updates to your design as you revise your linked files in the other design programs. And again, as with all Adobe products, it allows for total customization and precision.

Again, we've been able to achieve total customization on our brochures, pamphlets and other print material. It's alleviated a lot of headaches and enabled us to create unique materials that fulfill our communication goals.

Adobe InDesign review by Glen M.
Glen M.

"Somewhat complicated program for making books"

What do you like best?

I like being able to visually see how the page layouts will work and how they'll fall into place. I've had some issues in the past looking at pages in Illustrator or Photoshop, where pages don't fall where I want them to, or pages I need to lay across a spread get separated. Those issues disappear with InDesign, which I really appreciate.

What do you dislike?

The interface is very complicated. I had difficulty finding tools that I would think would be everyday tools, like aligning all pages to the same grid or getting a manuscript onto pages without manually editing each one. For me, figuring these things out was really time consuming and annoying.

I have made pamphlets and small booklets for my business, which I can print at any local printer and distribute to my customers.

Adobe InDesign review by Grace G.
Grace G.

"Advanced InDesign User Review"

What do you like best?

InDesign gives the possibility to see all your pages in the same file. It’s very useful especially when you want to set up a layout for facing pages. It’s easy to use the same design for many pages and visualize all of them at the same time.

So the first thing to do is to create a new document: File > New > Document (Ctrl+N) and select the format that you need for your design. When you want to add more pages go to the Pages button and press Create a new page.

What do you dislike?

You can't edit vectors in InDesign - This makes it hard to use Illustrator and InDesign together.

Master Decks, Multiple Page, Text Heavy Pieces - InDesign allows me to show various different visual solutions to a client in one presentation.

Adobe InDesign review by Jessica D.
Jessica D.

"White Papers? Check!"

What do you like best?

If you work on white papers frequently, like I do, you know that if you want them to look good you need to move beyond Microsoft Word or Google Docs. InDesign is the perfect tool for text-heavy designs because it's designed specifically for editing print documents. It's got great typography and color tools and it's a breeze to make layout changes.

What do you dislike?

Now for the bad stuff... InDesign is frustrating sometimes because it breaks so many of the paradigms you're used to from Photoshop and Illustrator. While there are usually good reasons for these choices, it just feels unfamiliar enough that it can be frustrating to hit the wrong shortcuts and forget momentarily why something isn't working.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need to create white papers or other print documents, I strongly recommend giving InDesign a try.

I use InDesign to create layouts for white papers and other "print" documents. It's a beautiful tool that helps me every day.

Adobe InDesign review by Maria M.
Maria M.

"Great for Complicated Print Document Design"

What do you like best?

I work on a lot of complicated brochures and print designs with copy that goes through multiple stages of edits concurrent to the design process. InDesign is fantastic for this because it's designed specifically with print in mind. The tools to lay out text and preserve spacing and kerning even after significant copy edits are second to none!

What do you dislike?

InDesign would really benefit from better handling of exports from other Adobe tools. Adobe Bridge is completely inadequate for my needs and it takes too much time to properly import images in the right way.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have a simple print project, you can use just about any design tool to produce it. But if you expect multiple edits and changing copy, InDesign is the right tool for the job.

Adobe InDesign makes complex print layouts a snap to create, edit, and maintain. It's the only tool that lets me get these types of project done on time.

Adobe InDesign review by Joshua J.
Joshua J.

"Can't say enough good things about this product"

What do you like best?

There aren't enough positive words or expressions in the English language to describe the usefulness of Adobe InDesign. I have been using the program for nearly 5 years in media design, and I am still in awe of this interface. As far as all typography-based design needs go, nothing beats the creative capabilities of this program.

What do you dislike?

There is very little I can say about this program negatively. I wish the button for "Share to Behance" wasn't right next to "Export," as I am always clicking the former as opposed to the latter by mistake, but other than that InDesign is a nearly flawless program that I would be lost without.

My company uses InDesign to lay out the pages of our daily publication. Due to its incredible capabilities and the option to integrate vjoon K4 collaboration right into the interface, our entire team (scattered around the country) is able to meet rigorous daily deadlines, all thanks to this program.

Adobe InDesign review by Noa B.
Noa B.

"Best Product for portfolios!"

What do you like best?

How easy it is to create layouts and spreads the are organized. Also very easy to readjust the size of your drawing/photo in spread. I mostly use this product for architecture presentations and layouts, and I find that indesign is a lot more user friendly than other products on the market.

What do you dislike?

I wish that this project had more of the capabilities that Photoshop does. I wish I was able to draw more in Indesign. Otherwise there isn't a lot that I dislike about Indesign. I think it is a bit to expensive for students (as a complete adobe creative cloud package, which includes Photoshop and Illustrator as well) but for architects and architecture students it is a must!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Practice! Practice! Practice!

I use indesign to show my work, and in my opinion it's a lot easy to use for formatting letters, reports, magazine spreads, etc. in a creative way than Microsoft word.

Adobe InDesign review by Mary M.
Mary M.

"LOVE InDesign for Publishing"

What do you like best?

For print work, in my opinion, there is no other software that compares to InDesign. There is so much I can accomplish with ease. I can even scan in documents and prevent myself from having to spend all that time typing. I can add photos, graphs, columns - virtually anything needed to quickly write and prepare for print an article, a brochure,a menu and so much more.

What do you dislike?

I can't think of a single thing I dislike about InDesign. At one point in my career, I loved Pagemaker. InDesign took the place of Pagemaker and in no time I learned how and why.. In Design can do so much more than Pagemaker ever could. Given time, Pagemaker would've become more like InDesign, I feel sure.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Ease of use. I only said lack of support in that my InDesign has issues with crashing. Though I've sent multiple reports to Adobe, I've never received any information or backup as to what could be causing the problem.

I sometimes dislike getting to all the choices of fonts I have the way InDesign is set up but overall, InDesign is a much easier piece of software to use for publishing, creating ads that simply require some text and pasting a photo. It is simple to use and produces a great deal of professionalism in one program.

Adobe InDesign review by Jonathan Lien H.
Jonathan Lien H.

"Full-featured and fluid, InDesign is top of the line"

What do you like best?

Adobe InDesign is a very smooth, functional piece of software. It makes basic typesetting easy and getting your designs print-ready a breeze. It is almost invisible in its effortless usability. If I were not married to other Adobe products, the thought of trying an alternative to this software may have crossed my mind, but as it stands, I see no good reason to try anything different, because of InDesign's integration with Creative Cloud and, thus, with the bulk of my design work.

What do you dislike?

One of my primary beefs with InDesign, and keep in mind that this is a fairly minor issue, is that the integration with other Adobe products, while they are strongly integrated from a creative perspective through the Adobe Creative Cloud, there is some pesky inconsistencies between keyboard shortcuts and basic software behaviors with Photoshop and Illustrator. This is probably not a major issue for professionals who spending most of their time focusing on specific Adobe software products, it is annoying for a self-employed freelancer like myself who is constantly switching between Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign. Another thing I dislike, as I have mentioned in previous Adobe software reviews, is the high price of Adobe Creative Cloud software.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is extraordinary useful as part of a larger package, the Adobe Creative Cloud suite. If you have a need for this type of software, and already use Photoshop or Illustrator, I would highly recommend it, if you can afford it.

Adobe InDesign, while perhaps not as "essential" as Photoshop, for example, is very useful in conjunction with other products in the Creative Cloud suite. It solves a inconvenience problem.

Adobe InDesign review by Michael L.
Michael L.

"Editorial or multi-page projects"

What do you like best?

InDesign perfectly completes the triptych with Illustrator and Photoshop and is the software I use for creating graphic layouts, especially when I have to create magazines or catalogs, which obviously include the dummy and multiple pages. It works very well and allows both the creation of documents for printing and multimedia or ePub.

What do you dislike?

When amounting graphics from Illustrator, it is not easy to modify anchor points or shapes of graphics imported directly into InDesign, so sometimes I find myself forced to import graphics again. For the rest I think it's a great software that all designers should know.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Highly recommended especially for those who already use the other Adobe CC software, it is perfect for creating multi-page graphic documents or projects that provide precise layouts with interaction between texts and images. Excellent management of the pages panel and the swatches panel.

I work with InDesign especially for the realization of multi-page brochures, catalogs, magazines and advertising material.Normally the projects that I create concern the printed paper, but in some cases I have made interactive pdf with insertion of slideshows or embed html, like videos from YouTube or Google Maps.

Adobe InDesign review by Matthew V.
Matthew V.

"InDesign - my thoughts"

What do you like best?

I like the ability to create multiple pieces of content through InDesign - from designing brochures, pamphlets, infographics, At-A-Glances, Solution Overviews, etc. all from the same platform. Learning the basics of InDesign is pretty easy - you can learn about 75% of what you need to know within 10-15 mins through a tutorial on Lynda.com. The rest is somewhat easy to learn but practice makes perfect

What do you dislike?

Its really hard to create shapes - I have to create them in Illustrator, which is similar but completely different. For instance, if I want to create a quarter-circle, its almost impossible for me to do in InDesign but pretty easy to do in Illustrator. The other big thing that is frustrating is that I have to through Bridge to transfer shapes and other items from Illustrator to InDesign, so often times its time consuming and for sure difficult to learn yet another platform

Recommendations to others considering the product

Go to Lynda.com to learn the basic training of InDesign within 10 mins. Its definitely worth it and can help promote better, more effective pieces of content collateral for your marketing department

I create marketing material and content through InDesign, such as short executive overviews called At-A-Glances and longer, more deep-dive material called Solution Overviews. I've also worked with InDesign to create basic infographics and more - all content related to marketing promotion materials

Adobe InDesign review by Dani D.
Dani D.

"Indesign make design accessible to all"

What do you like best?

InDesign, to me, is the easiest program to use in the Adobe Suite. I love the range of things that I can use it for.

What do you dislike?

There isn't a lot to dislike, but there is some intro-type training needed to be able to start using it successfully

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend anyone just beginning on InDesign to take a short course or video tutorial before starting to use. This program is very user friendly, but isn't like any other program I've used. Having a tutorial prior to beginning use was EXTREMELY helpful! There are also a lot of videos available online to help when you get stuck on something.

InDesign has allowed me to create things like marketing items, that would have cost more to have designed by a third party.

Adobe InDesign review by Alison F.
Alison F.

"Smooth, Easy to Use"

What do you like best?

InDesign is, hands-down, the best Adobe product out there. When my team needs to design something, we turn to InDesign first. It's easy to use, and I've trained multiple people on how to use it with absolutely no training whatsoever. It's easy to create text that can be exportable to PDF form, preparing for printing, incorporating text with images, making captivating designs.

What do you dislike?

There isn't much I dislike - I've been using InDesign since it was introduced and it's developed nicely with each update. Very impressive program.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have staff or team members who have no experience in Adobe products, this is the program for them to start. I've trained multiple people who've never used in InDesign and they quickly learned Illustrator and Photoshop after using this. Great, simple program with big results.

We are able to produce high-quality designs from the team with way less frustrations than with any other program. Our booklets and newsletters have taken on a much more professional feel.

Adobe InDesign review by Tiffany W.
Tiffany W.

"InDesign for print and online page layouts"

What do you like best?

InDesign is the easiest (in my opinion) application out of all the Adobe software products. If you understand how print and online page layouts are structured and how to design them, InDesign is a piece of cake. It's great for anything you could dream of in the world of print and online page design.

What do you dislike?

It annoys me when the default measurement setting is not set to inches (I know, how American of me). This is an easy fix, but it gets me every time. The main thing I "dislike" is the price of InDesign. I also dislike that links often have to be packaged in a folder for an entire project when the file is transferred or opened on another device. If it's not packaged every single time – I lose my links. And while packaging it's annoying that I can't save a new file as the same name as an old file. I'm doing it on purpose because I want to replace an old file with an updated version. Instead, InDesign insists I choose a different file name. I'm sure there's better ways around this, I just haven't found one yet for myself that I find easy enough.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're looking for a software to design any type of print product or even a web page design, InDesign is for you.

I use InDesign for newspaper design, magazine design, web design, posters, flyers, brochures, tickets, etc. Often times I'm using InDesign to recreate or put a twist on the designs for just about everything. InDesign is by far the best software I've used for this.

Adobe InDesign review by Carmine R.
Carmine R.

"Layout for print and devices"

What do you like best?

InDesign is definitely the best software for creating graphic layouts and layouts, thanks also to the excellent compatibility with other Adobe software, such as Photoshop and Illustrator. It also allows you to create multimedia documents with the insertion of interactive objects or even html code.

What do you dislike?

It does not allow the creation of native applications for iPads and iPhones without the purchase of the Digital Publishing Suite and this feature could be implemented in the next updates. For the rest nothing to report.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Those who work in the editorial design must surely have InDesign because it is the most complete software in this field and can take advantage of simple copy / paste with elements made in Illustrator and perfectly manage multipage documents, such as books, catalogs and magazines.

Use InDesign to create multi-page graphic documents, such as manuals, books, catalogs or magazines, both for printing and for creating interactive pdf or epub files, taking advantage of the excellent compatibility with Illustrator and Photoshop.

Adobe InDesign review by Danica K.
Danica K.

"Seamless Design and Collaboration Across Platforms"

What do you like best?

When we used to use InDesign, it was seen simply as a tool for print publication. But we have recently discovered that now we are able to use InDesign for both large print products (books, magazines and travel guides) and responsive website design. Via usage of templates, we are able to design and customize layouts with easy editing abilities for print and digital products alike.

What do you dislike?

Some things we do not like about InDesign are that sometimes the program will slow dramatically when working on website design, with large files that have multiple pages with detailed layouts. Another issue that happens frequently is that certain apps will not update properly, such as InCopy, and need to be manually updated to work across the two Adobe programs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Know that you can use this product for website design layouts as well as print product layouts. When you test the limits of the products, as we have done, we have discovered many things we love about the functionality of this product in comparison to the other products in the Adobe Creative Suite.

We use InDesign to create designs and layouts for destination magazines and sales and marketing collateral, and this year have been using it to create responsive website design for our clients. We have realized that even though InDesign was initially crafted as a tool for publication layout, it can be just as effective (and sometimes more so) to use on digital products than its sister program Photoshop.

Adobe InDesign review by Sharon H.
Sharon H.

"InDesign is my go to software!"

What do you like best?

What's not to love?? I like the way it has become easier to maneuver around in PS, InDesign, and Illustrator all together when working on complex projects.

InDesign is my all time favorite software to work in as a designer. I love layout and print projects.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes I wish Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign were combined, but I really can't think of any dislikes in InDesign right now.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is the best software for layout design. It takes learning and practice, but InDesign is probably the easiest to learn in the Adobe collection.

I work mostly with InDesign and Illustrator at work. InDesign is awesome for the many different kinds of print projects I do at work. I create everything from brochures to packages for our products and it has become much easier to work with both software programs at the same time.

Adobe InDesign review by Matthew S.
Matthew S.

"Professional tool for digital and print publishing"

What do you like best?

Indesign is a fantastic tool for organising, arranging and presenting work. The software gives you a huge range of options for setting up documents and creating presentations using simple and professional ways of working. Work and documents are able to be created for digital and print formats, with options for interactivity /hyperlinks etc. Using other forms of Adobe software such as Photoshop and having experience of this type of software makes using and integrating with Indesign far easier.

What do you dislike?

If you are using Indesign for the first time, having not used another Adobe software, you may not find it easy to use. There are a wide range of options to undertake tasks and there is a benefit to having some basic training. One other frustrating thing is that the shortcuts for Indesign are different to Photoshop and also Illustrator. When work simultaneously between these software's this can lead to make small mistakes and having to redo things.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try a free trial to see how you feel. Also look at some basic tutorials to get you started if you have not used the software before

Overall the software is effective at tackling publishing tasks and creating professional documents and presentations. As a business we use Indesign regularly to create documents and layouts to issue to and present to clients. A great tool is that when you update (resave) images / files placed (inserted) into the main Indesign document these will automatically update. This is very helpful for when you are updating a large number of images and you then do not have to replace these within the document.

Adobe InDesign review by Jeff L.
Jeff L.

"A superlative product, in a sparse landscape."

What do you like best?

Classic Adobe interface. I know where everything is and don't waste time hunting for features. AdobeCC integration is stellar! Combining AdobeCC libraries with Adobe Stock has changed the way I resource collateral, speeding up my workflow beyond words. Being able to switch between light and dark themes, albeit trite, is fantastic when working in the bright lights of the office or late into the evening as the room darkens.

What do you dislike?

Indesign frustrates me when changing document layouts. I love the ability to create a new layout and resize the canvas, but I would like the option to adjust the spreads and switch layouts to include facing pages or not. Believe it or not, there are few things I think Adobe missed with its' current version of InDesign.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get it! I can't imagine how you would do any desktop publishing with another software. The integration with AdobeCC is outstanding!

I primarily use InDesign to complete Information brochures for property listings; while incorporated with my CC libraries, I have found the workflow to be extremely quick. Adobe Stock integration has also sped up time in my workflow with simple drag and drop interface.

Adobe InDesign review by Connor B.
Connor B.

"The best desktop/web publishing application available"

What do you like best?

Like most Adobe products, you have complete control and can customize almost every aspect of the software. It's very easy to customize multiple workspaces, the location of tools and windows, etc. In general, the controls are excellent and I have no complaints because you can literally modify anything to fit your liking. This is in sharp contrast to many of the other office/desktop applications, where multiple clicks are required to do a specific task.

The ability to copy and paste directly from Illustrator is great because you can edit vector shapes/objects right from InDesign.

Finally, I like being able to export files into almost any format. The export to PDF feature didn't always work in earlier releases, but they've since fixed the issue and it works without every crashing or freezing.

What do you dislike?

Since Adobe released the 2018 updates for its CC applications, where users could update to the latest version and keep an older version of the application on their device, InDesign's performance and stability has decayed significantly. If you opt to keep two versions of InDesign and use your saved preferences from the older version, the preferences will be corrupted and cause the program to be unable to save or export files after a period of time. The only workaround so far is to save in a different format, force quit, and restart.

This is very frustrating because it requires due diligence on the users part to periodically quit the application and restart it to avoid the error(s) that I mentioned above. I also do not like how InDesign frequently fails to load your default/custom workspace. Sometimes it will load, but most of the time you have to manually select it otherwise it just defaults to the "Essentials" theme. I suspect this is due to the preferences issue.

One other quirk that can be annoying is the "Edit Image in Photoshop" feature. After selecting this option for an image placed in InDesign, you're taken to Photoshop where you can make changes, etc., but after saving the image in Photoshop I found that it did not automatically update the version in InDesign. This is a cool feature that, in theory, saves time, but I find myself having to locate and re-add the saved image file back into InDesign.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I strongly recommend watching video tutorials before using. There are so many tools right out of the box, and you might not ever use 60% of them, so it helps to know where everything is, how to create basic documents, and then customize the layout based on your specific needs. I found that my productivity and confidence in my InDesign abilities increased after I completely customized the workspace.

InDesign is my daily driver for creating and designing sales and marketing content. Complete customization and integration with other Adobe CC applications has enabled us to create better content that accurately reflects our company and brand.

Adobe InDesign review by sierra m.
sierra m.

"Make layout easy "

What do you like best?

I like a lot about indesign, but its the best for layout design for any documents. Its also great for multiple page layout for magazines, books, ect. This program easily lets you get down to the smallest details within any document font spacing, paragraph set up and many more things. Its also awesome how easy it is to bring in images and pngs. Its also easy to set type around images.

What do you dislike?

I hate how hard it is to bring vector object over from illustrator its really hard to control them as in scaling them and making edits. Also scaling images can be difficult because it seems that the frames aren't connected to the images.2

Recommendations to others considering the product

Explore everything this software can do for you. There are tons of online classes to free tutorials on youtube. This program can take your documents from being boring to exciting and refine.

It helps with all of our collateral and making templets for any documents my company may need. It makes my life a lot easier everyday and makes my work production fast.

Adobe InDesign review by Robert Z.
Robert Z.

"Creation of books or magazines"

What do you like best?

InDesign is a software that allows you to create excellent multi-page layouts, especially for the creation of books or magazines, but also catalogs and advertising material. For some time, you can also export epub or interactive files, or create native apps thanks to the Digital Publishing Suite.

What do you dislike?

It is not very easy to use and has some features suitable only for real experts, in addition there are many competitors like Quark Xpress or iBook Author that allow you to make epub format files in a way I think a little easier.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Although it has several competitors, I personally prefer it for the excellent interaction with other Adobe software, such as Photoshop or Illustrator and above all because the results are professional. The only flaw is perhaps that it is not very immediate in use and some functions are complicated to understand.

As mentioned above, I use it mostly for the layout of books, booklets, catalogs or magazines, but also for the creation of interactive pdf is an excellent tool to take into consideration, especially because it works very well with Illustrator or Photoshop.

Learning about Adobe InDesign?

* We monitor all Adobe InDesign reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.