Do you work for Adobe InDesign?

Adobe InDesign Reviews & Product Details

What is Adobe InDesign?

Adobe InDesign is a versatile desktop publishing application that gives you pixel- perfect control over design and typography.

Adobe InDesign Profile Details

Adobe InDesign Profile Details

Adobe
Description
Adobe (NASDAQ: ADBE) deals in digital media, digital marketing, and printing and publishing software with over 14,000 employees and $4.4 billion in revenue.
1982

Adobe InDesign Reviews

1-50 of 2276 total Adobe InDesign reviews

Adobe InDesign Reviews

1-50 of 2276 total Adobe InDesign reviews
Adobe InDesign review by Charles A.
Most Recent Adobe InDesign Video Review

"Typographic capabilities"

Adobe InDesign review by Carlos  P.
Architectural Designer

"Adobe sometimes clunky, InDesign is a solid tool to help you organize multi-page documents."

What do you like best?

I like that InDesign allows you to link multiple vector and raster files, and offers several options to help you work more efficiently and take up less computing resources. For example, modifying the "display performance" option associated with images helped me to quickly crop images without loading the full image, which sometimes could exceed 20 MB file sizes.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that at times that the mechanics of cropping or selecting the linked multimedia file was not smooth, or required several attempts to grab the right grip. For example, I sometimes attempted to use the regular selection tool, but the direct selection tool took precedence or vice versa.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are going to be creating many multi-page documents that require laying out image and vector based files, then InDesign is definitely a worthwhile product. Although not perfect, the software is specially designed for this purpose.

When we are trying to develop office marketing publications, or I am personally attempting to create a comprehensive multi-page portfolio, I use InDesign. I have been able to have an overall view of the final product, and see the arrangement of pages, which is hard to achieve in other software such as Microsoft Powerpoint

Adobe InDesign review by Erica K.
Communications Manager

"My Favorite Adobe Product"

What do you like best?

When it comes to any project, I choose to go to Indesign first. Even if I am mocking up a logo design or quick idea, InDesign is my go-to. The interface is easy to understand and mostly consistent across all of their applications, which makes it even easier to use. I like the layout, the professional aspect of it, and the quality I receive.

What do you dislike?

When Adobe updates, it can be frustrating to learn where they have moved some items around. There is also so much that you are capable of doing in Indesign that it can get overwhelming, or you don't realize that you can do something quicker, because you weren't aware of the shortcuts or full offerings available.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Adobe Indesign is specifically created for publication use. If you are designing logos or trying to manipulate photography, then you might want to switch over to one of the other Adobe products. Indesign has always worked well for me, it's easy to grasp and does the job it's supposed to do. The industry expects for you to use Adobe in all capacities. This is worth it.

Indesign helps us create at least 50% of the graphics that we are putting out to potential students. Our magazine, postcards, rack cards, business cards, posters, flyers, etc., all come from this program.

The largest benefit is how easy it is to switch between all of the Adobe apps. I can insert a photo into my working file and quickly switch over to Photoshop to edit the photo, and it will update within my Indesign after a quick save. This saves me time and gives me peace of mind.

Adobe InDesign review by Leigh Anne Nicole R.
Apparel Designer
Apparel & Fashion

"Once you learn, it's second nature and perfect for any large visual project"

What do you like best?

I love the flexibility of the program! It amazes me what I can accomplish. I use it for fashion design and illustrating layouts. I have found that it is the best and honestly the only option for me in designing consistent layouts. I like that I can share the same layout and so my team and I are all on the same page for presentations.

What do you dislike?

the time it takes to learn the program, I have a hard time creating patterns and adding them to shapes. I slo wish that I could easily make two or three lines side by side in the same shape or path that fit perfectly without tampering them.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Adobe is taking advantage of every opportunity to make their programs better and offering more features, it can be learned and once it is you'll create many amazing things!

I use to create layouts for presentations - It's has given me the opportunity to enhance designs and present them professionally!

Adobe InDesign review by Allison E.
Marketing Operations Manager

"Necessity for Designers"

What do you like best?

The best part of using Adobe InDesign is that it is by far the most intricate product out there as far as publishing software goes and Adobe is essentially the leader of the industry - which also means they will most likely be the first ones to have any new features to come. Because they are so pertinent in the industry it also helps to use Adobe InDesign when working with other clients/partners because they will most likely also be using it and that will make the integration of projects much easier. You can usually safely assume that any company with a design department is using Adobe products.

What do you dislike?

The main downfall of Adobe InDesign is really the price, and it is understandably so. Being that they are almost a necessity for designers, they can afford to price themselves that way. If you are in school or working for a company that has purchased Adobe, you can receive a discounted price which helps a little.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Adobe InDesign is definitely the best of the best as far as design products but, unless you're a student or working for a company, it can be VERY pricey and you may be able to find similar (not as good, but similar) products that may better fit your budget. Again, there is no comparison as to who is #1, but not everyone may have the means.

At my current company, we are using Adobe InDesign for our copy decks that pertain to direct mail. The main benefit I have realized by using Adobe InDesign is that we can embed data from excel files directly into our copy decks. This has dramatically minimized user error. Also, InDesign just has more it can do to ultimately make processes more efficient compared to any other product we would use.

Adobe InDesign review by Veronica R.
Graphic Design

"The best app for page layout"

What do you like best?

I like that it integrates very well with the Adobe Creative Suite. It's great for designing books, magazines, brochures, wide format, flyers, and posters. The best thing about is all the typography features. It also has the ability to create interactive PDF's and eBooks. Which are great. It is the industry standard for print layout. I love that it has a lot of Adobe Acrobat features out of the box and it's a great companion to Acrobat.

What do you dislike?

Some of the tools are very complicated to use or you do not have the same experience creating shapes and graphics inside the tool itself. If I could create vector shapes with ease as I do in Illustrator, it would save me a lot of time. I wish it had accessablilty features embeded in the PDF's it creates. It does not do the tagged PDFs or accessability out of the box. I still have to tweak a lot of this in Adobe Acrobat.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Start out using the program for smaller projects and work your way into more complicated jobs. There is a tutorial for everything.

Graphic design and printing services. It is able to create press quality PDF's and other file types necessary for production. It is high resolution by default and it's easy to create interactive PDFs'

Adobe InDesign review by Joshua D.
Editor-in-Chief

"There is nothing better"

What do you like best?

I layout books, magazines, and newspapers professionally. There is no better option than Adobe InDesign. Indeed, there are no other options even remotely close to Adobe InDesign. It takes a little while to learn the basics, but once you understand what you're doing, it is a very easy and efficient way to do layout design.

What do you dislike?

The only thing that annoys me about InDesign is that you cannot select non-consecutive text. For example, if I want to select multiple words or phrases on a page to make italics, I would have to select them one at a time and apply the style, rather than selecting them all and applying the style once.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would suggest taking a few courses online to learn the basics of InDesign. It's tempting to try to figure it out all on your own, but that will leave you with plenty of bad habits that will come back to haunt you later. The biggest issue that people have with InDesign is that they believe it to be difficult to learn. You can learn all you need to know to use it effectively in a few weeks if you take a reputable class on Lynda or something like that. Please consider investing in InDesign. If you need this product, then there is no other product that will even come close to fulfilling that need. You'll thank yourself later.

Book, magazine, and newspaper layout. It has genuinely never been easier.

Adobe InDesign review by Tab C.
Interior Designer

"Different but Good"

What do you like best?

The few times that I have been able to use Adobe InDesign it has helped for the project I was working on. Imagine a robust version of Microsoft Publisher. The best feature about this program was creating a standard presentation board. For a new board, we could insert images and architectural plans. If those images updated in the file, they were also updated in the presentation. This ensured that your board is always up to date.

What do you dislike?

A bit hard to get around the interface. When trying to select a text box or image box, it was hard to tell which one was selected. This often lead to deleting or moving the wrong part. Other than that, it works for what I need. It would be nice if all Adobe design programs used the same commands and controls.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Not a bad program but Adobe illustrator and Adobe Photoshop could do the same things without having to purchase this program.

Presentation boards for clients. No need to start from scratch each time. This also ensures that multiple boards will have the same layout making for a much better looking presentation.

Adobe InDesign review by Katelyn J.
Operations Manager

"My favorite ever!"

What do you like best?

I love InDesign! There's no way I could do my job without the InDesign program. I regularly make newsletters for my organization with this software. In the past, I had tried to do newsletters in Microsoft Word or free sites, but those options come nowhere close to the power of InDesign. The intricacy of the program is so helpful for making professional-quality newsletters.

What do you dislike?

The program has a learning curve. I needed to watch training videos before I could use all of the features of the program. When I tried to figure it out in the beginning on my own, it was definitely frustrating.

We were previously paying graphic designers for our newsletters AND paying them for multiple rounds of revisions. I can now create my own newsletters without having to pay a contractor. Also, if we decide to use a contractor for a newsletter or mailing, I can edit the design without having to wait for a contractor to make changes.

Adobe InDesign review by Amy D.
Marketing and Events Manager

"LOVE"

What do you like best?

I do a lot of layout design and typography. Although there are many desktop publishing programs, I would never choose any other program! Having tools, like the ability to kern letters, may seem small but they can make the biggest difference in design. It really is the most dynamic program, getting into every detail of desktop publishing.

What do you dislike?

I genuinely love everything about InDesign. Makes my work so easy! The only thing I would say is that some of the default settings don't really show it's full potential so you really have to search to customize the interface for your working environment.

Recommendations to others considering the product

In my opinion, there really is no other option for layout design, typography, and desktop publishing of any kind. It is industry standard and an amazing software to have in your wheelhouse.

I create marketing brochures to raise funds, send out company newsletters to keep donors updated, create email marketing campaigns etc. I can design everything to be visually appealing so donors want to interact with us.

Adobe InDesign review by Pete P.
Digital Marketing Manager

"Easily the best publishing application available"

What do you like best?

InDesign is an amazing piece of software, the amount of control it allows when creating anything from posters to multi-page guides is incredible.

What do you dislike?

There really isn't anything major that I dislike with InDesign, it is in my opinion the most complete application with the Adobe Creative Suite family. If I had to nitpick, I would to be able to create artboards, like with Illustrator, but that wouldn't fit with the core purpose of InDesign.

Recommendations to others considering the product

InDesign is well worth the money, especially considering you can now pay one monthly price for it and Adobe applications (through the Adobe Creative Cloud). It takes a little experience to fully learn how to best utilize all of its functionalities, but once you get there it's amazing.

InDesign greatly increases the efficiency of creating marketing collateral for my company. Whether it's creating dedicated character and paragraph styles or easily exporting hyperlinked documents, it's the most robust tool available.

Adobe InDesign review by Gregory G.
Presiding Bishop
Religious Institutions

"Great design product for our magazine"

What do you like best?

The versatility it offers for a variety of publishing project is amazing. The darker UI is a blessing too for my poor eyes. It allows me to do things like drop caps, image insertions and the like with great ease.

What do you dislike?

There is a sometimes a huge lag when starting or saving to a cloud or network drive. The most recent version moved many of the task bars around which made it difficult to find things I used often.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Adobe Indesign takes a bit of getting used to, but it is well worth the effort. I would highly recommend that you take time to learn the software when not in a pinch. I did not and it made it harder on me, but overall it worked out.

We use it to publish our magazine, newsletter, flyers, brochures and various other publishing projects. We also use it to create church bulletins and programs for services. The versatility of this product cannot be over stated.

Adobe InDesign review by User in Government Administration

"Other Half of Illustrator"

What do you like best?

What I like best is how well Adobe InDesign and Adobe Illustrator work with each other. Since I can create visual things on Adobe Illustrator, I can easily carry them over to Adobe InDesign, where I can work on a detailed project that involves writing or large amounts of text. I also really like how I can make a lot of text look appealing with Adobe InDesign.

What do you dislike?

What I dislike about Adobe InDesign is that since there are too many options and the users literally have control over every little thing, it can be a little troublesome when trying to figure out how to do everything. At first, I had no idea how to do anything and so my projects usually came out looking very sloppy.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Adobe InDesign is so much fun to use and I would advise for other organizations to give this a try. I think it is always so much fun doing work on Adobe InDesign and would highly reccomend for others to try doing their reports on Adobe InDesign rather than on Google Documents or Microsoft Office.

The business problems that we solved with Adobe InDesign was able to create new types of ways to generate reports that encompass both, visuals and text. The benefit we realized is that this accomplishes the task very well and very efficiently as we are able to do exactly what we wanted to get done.

Adobe InDesign review by Steve F.
Front end developer

"Simply the best tool for layout work"

What do you like best?

I've been using InDesign for over 10 years now. When it comes to laying out text, it's simply the best. It doesn't matter if I'm laying out one page or one thousand, I will always start with InDesign. There are a ton of features to make your life easier when creating layouts, but five powerful features stand out to me the most:

1) Master layouts: You can add elements to the master spread, and it will be copied to every spread (old or new). This serves as the base layer of each page, allowing you to add things like logos, design elements, page numbering and more. And if you have a page that's an outlier, it's just as easy to override it.

2) Grid, gutters and bleeds. You can create columns and rulers with completely customizable gutters, which help you maintain design consistency through the whole layout. If you add these to the master layout, you instantly have a grid system for your whole project. If you require them, bleeds can also be automatically added to the print file so that your printer knows where to trim the pages.

3) Character/paragraph styles. I feel like this might be a hidden gem, but the character/paragraph style tab allows you to create font styles (face, weight, kerning, etc) that are applied throughout a project. If you want to change all of your paragraph headers to bold, you can just edit the style and it's applied everywhere!

4) Text overflow tool. This is one of the most basic tools in InDesign but possibly the most powerful for layout work. You can paste all of your text in a single text node, and then split that node up into multiple, smaller boxes across many pages! You can move and resize the boxes freely to fit the text in exactly how you want it.

5) Preflighting/packaging. All of the tools required to send a document to print are built into InDesign, including the ability to generate a folder that contains all of your fonts, images and other assets. This can be sent to a printer, and they can print your project directly from it, so that none of the assets are missing. Or, if you'd prefer, you can simply export to a print-ready PDF.

There's so much more InDesign has to offer too, from the built-in asset manager to the ability to export interactive PDFs.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes really large projects can take a while to load, or will crash while scrolling through. This has gotten better in recent years, though.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I've you've ever struggled to wrangle chunks of text into a layout, try InDesign. It offers a ton of tools to make it easier while still allowing you to have 100% control over your design and layout.

All of our layout work is done in InDesign. We can easily create projects over a hundred pages long and send them to the printer with confidence that they will turn out perfectly. It's also my go-to for any kind of single page project like a flyer or newsletter template.

Adobe InDesign review by Tiffany R.
Freelance Graphic Designer
Public Relations and Communications

"InDesign is perfect for what it's made for - publications, books, multi-page greatness."

What do you like best?

I like the automatic tools that help you align everything perfectly. It is so easy with all of the guides to make sure everything just clicks into place. I like the built in tools to help you stay on top of errors. When dealing with that many pages and text and images, it is simply amazing that there are tools in place to help you stay on top of overrun text and low-quality images, etc.

What do you dislike?

I dislike having to control the quality of the photos, I wish it would just assume that I want high-quality and give the option to downgrade the quality if I'd like, instead of vice versa how it currently is laid out. I also dislike how difficult it can sometimes be to grab the photo inside the bounding box to move it or adjust it just so without accidentally grabbing the bounding box 5 times first.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Adobe InDesign is absolutely the tool to use when creating any sort of multi-page document. Publisher should have been a thing of the past long ago, InDesign is basically your perfect helper when it comes to getting everything right.

It provides the ability to create high-quality publications that will look good and work well for each and every purpose. It also provides a great integration of systems where everything from text to images to illustrations can all come together seamlessly. I can't even imagine a world without it.

Adobe InDesign review by Kathlyn J.
Logistics Manager
Farming

"Great Program for Layout Design"

What do you like best?

It's widely used, and all files can be saved as PDFs. It's very user friendly once you've discovered all the features. It plays well with Adobe Illustrator. There are also many helpful tutorials online to further master Indesign.

What do you dislike?

It is a learning curve. I find it frustrating that links have to be handled so carefully in order to maintain image quality. I also use Adobe Illustrator regularly and find the different shortcuts for the same things (for example, locking an asset) confusing at times. In my dream world, Adobe Illustrator and Adobe InDesign would be combined into one comprehensive interface.

All layout design, particularly for booklets, pamphlets, and brochures going to print are created on Indesign. Recently, I created a magazine style book explaining our business procedures and policies. Indesign allows for beautiful, creative design that can be exported into readable files for the end user. Most print companies are very familiar with Indesign.

Adobe InDesign review by Ashley K.
Food & Beverages

"Great program for designing..posters, banners, menus, signs"

What do you like best?

Being able to use CC Libraries, the easy type formatting and placing of files. The tools are easy to use and very functioning for what you need them for. You can easily make any kind of sign or menu or even a book in the program, it has so many multi use functions the other progams dont offer.

What do you dislike?

That it is missing some functions Illustrator has, that I think would be utilized just as well in Indesign

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would choose to use Indesign over Illustrator or any other adobe progam. So much easier to use!

We make all our advertising for our signs, menus, posters, banners and using the CC Libraries has allowed us to create templates to make our design faster, so when we are only changing out prices we have work done very quickly in half the time as opposed to starting the design from scratch. It allows us to save our logos and any other images we might need to quickly access. It has made our sign shop and design team more efficient and streamlined.

Adobe InDesign review by User

"Never Looked Back!"

What do you like best?

Adobe InDesign is almost kind of a necessity for projects requiring the use of both texts and visuals. It allows me to incorporate both seamlessly when I'm working on a large project, such as a report that requires photos, designs, and texts. What I like best is how optimal this is compared to Adobe Illustrator and other programs for projects that require many pages. For example, I was able to create a 30 page report using Adobe InDesign, for which I would not have been able to do using other programs.

What do you dislike?

What I dislike is that everytime I open up an Adobe InDesign file, I always get an error message saying that the fonts on my project are missing and could not be found. However, this never made sense to me as the fonts were initially also from Adobe InDesign so I'm unsure as to how they can be "missing." Besides this little error message that always pops up, everything is great.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would highly reccomend for others to give a test to Adobe InDesign as I think it really is one of the best programs ever created. Using it is always so much fun and it is just great to have on your computer since it can useful for so many different types of projects.

The business problem that we solved with Adobe InDesign is being able to produce our own content that includes graphic design. We no longer have to rely on a 3rd party to work on our annual reports and organizational reports and now, we can do this ourselves. A benefit we realized is that we're saving money not having to rely on another person to do graphic design work for us.

Adobe InDesign review by User in Non-Profit Organization Management

"Much Better Alternative"

What do you like best?

I think most graphic designers rely much more on Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator than they do with Adobe InDesign. However, I personally believe that Adobe InDesign is much more superior than any of the other ones as I can do so much here! Using Adobe InDesign, I was able to create new visuals for our emails and social media pages in order to advertise/market a new program in our organization.

What do you dislike?

What I disliked is that there aren't a lot of instructions (or any at all) when you first begin using Adobe InDesign. I wished there was a tutorial from Adobe showing how to do everything. I feel as if since it's kind of hard to navigate around InDesign, I still haven't been able to do that everything I can possibly do on the software.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would reccomend to others to try out Adobe InDesign and see if they like it. I liked it a lot and think it's great to use.

A business problem that we solved with Adobe InDesign is that we no longer have to just submit photos on social media. Now, we can create stunning visuals in order to increase our engagement with followers. What's great is how little money we had to spend to get such a great outcome.

Adobe InDesign review by User in Non-Profit Organization Management

"Great for Marketing Purposes!"

What do you like best?

What I like best is that Adobe InDesign is a great supplement to Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Photoshop. While the others allow for editing photos and creating content necessary for branding such as logos, Adobe InDesign enables me to create flyers, posters, banners, and other graphical content for promotional purposes.

What do you dislike?

What I dislike is how frustrating it can be to duplicate pages, as I'm still not sure as to how the Master Pages option works, as it's somewhat difficult to understand. In addition, I also find it a little harder to navigate with my keyboard, as the shortcuts are a little different from other Adobe products.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Absolutely amazing and I'm sure it will be a great asset to your company like how Photoshop is to many. I'd highly reccomend using InDesign to fulfill your graphic design needs!

A business problem that we solved with Adobe InDesign is creating posters and flyers to post and share to our audience. By creating these with Adobe Indesign, we are able to export them into whatever format we prefer and share it with our audience.

Adobe InDesign review by Kristy K.

"InDesign a Necessity for Page Layout!"

What do you like best?

ID gives you the ability to create practically anything! Books, magazines, pamphlets, postcards, letterhead -- you name it. It includes high-powered tools that allow you to automate many activities, thereby streamlining your work time. It also allows you to be completely precise with your typography and integrates well with Illustrator and Photoshop.

What do you dislike?

Some of the tools are cumbersome to use at first -- like learning GREP code. You have to do a lot of studying to understand how to use it properly. This is really the only issue I ever run into: knowing that ID has a function that I want to use but it's sometimes difficult to figure out how to do it or make it work correctly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It will likely take a while to learn all the bells and whistles that come with this program, but the end result will be well worth it. ID is the industry standard for page layout -- I don't know any designers who use another program. I would recommend taking some courses on Lynda.com to really understand all of the functionalities of this program.

I use InDesign exclusively when I need to design for page layout of any type. This program gives me the tools I need to create professional quality designs for my clients, and for my own marketing materials.

Adobe InDesign review by Patrick M.

"Great for designing text-heavy graphics"

What do you like best?

I create graphics for a print and online news source. I find that InDesign is the ideal tool for creating clean and impactful graphics and ads, particularly if the graphics are heavy on text. It's easy to import and place elements from other programs, and I like the y final product has a sharp and clean look.

What do you dislike?

When I'm creating an ad that utilizes illustrations and pictorial elements, I find ifit a bit more difficult to import and manipulate those elements. For me, In Design works best on text and fonts. The interface is not intuitive and using jpegs, for instance, requires a bit more thought about process.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is ideal for creating text heavy graphics. If you're using pictorial elements, I would recommend Adobe Illustrator

I'm creating clean and sharp graphics and ads quickly. Speed is important due to the volume of graphics that need to be created on deadline.

Adobe InDesign review by Samuel O.
Diseñador gráfico

"Indesign "The most versatile tool for editorial design and layout" "

What do you like best?

It is truly a wonderful, powerful, very versatile tool that has a very complete interface and has multiple functions. It is ideal for editorial design and layout, being able to carry out simple projects such as flayer, manuals, catalogs, color brochures, black and white, with texts, images; even more complex creations such as magazines, conventional and interactive books, newspapers and many other publications, being also a compiler of images, vectors and texts.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it is unstable and tends to close itself, requires a good team to avoid obstacles, or errors when editing or include multimedia files and the learning curve is long, so you have to be patient, until you can handle it completely.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Indesigh, is the number one application worldwide for editorial design, and that speaks for itself, in terms of reliability and versatility and quality.

Another important feature of this tool is that it is easily integrated with other applications of the adobe suite, which allows users to use illustrator and Photoshop resources without having to resort to third applications. It also allows you to share projects on social networks, such as Facebook, twitter, or email, with a single click.

There are many benefits that this application provides when working with it, being the standard when it comes to designing an editor, so the papers presented are widely accepted by all. It is also very effective when managing the paging of documents, and ideal for working with large amounts of texts and very useful for handling large or heavy files, many pages, or collections of books

Adobe InDesign review by David S.
Partner / Creative Director

"The #1 Publication & Presentation Design Platform (For Designers)"

What do you like best?

It's hard to describe if you're not a designer, but inDesign is really one of the most intuitive and streamlined programs out there for designing publications and presentations. To the uninitiated user it appears, like all Adobe programs, to be an imposing mess of technical buttons and panels, but once you get to know it, the shortcuts, fonts, power, and customizable interface will be a major asset for any publication. Quite simply, inDesign is the industry standard and the only professional publication design and layout software worth using. It allows you to be incredibly precise, very quickly, if you know how to use it.

What do you dislike?

There is a learning curve, and it's a bit steep. The program can do a lot, and it interfaces well with Illustrator and Photoshop, but there are specific workflows to follow and sharing is not as simple as younger programs (Slides by Google or Powerpoint, for instance). There can only be one "owner" of a deck at a time, so it makes collaborating with multiple stakeholders on short deadlines complicated. Spelling is also, for some unknown reason, impossible in InDesign, and the spellcheck and grammar check built into the program is probably the worst I've seen. Every deck I've ever seen comes out with many, many, spelling errors, and it takes quite a bit of copy editing to ensure that spelling is correct.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you know other Adobe software you'll pick up inDesign pretty quickly. For some reason, the shortcuts are different across all Adobe software, so you'll have a little muscle memory training to get used to a new layout and workflow, but once you've got it you'll never be able to imagine using anything else. There's a place and time for PowerPoint, Keynote and Slides—such as pulling together a rough deck very quickly—but they are very limited compared to the precision and power that inDesign offers.

We are a creative business and use inDesign to design all of our pitches (and pitching projects is at the core of our business). It allows us to present top-notch professional decks that our customers expect from us. Anything less would result in a loss of business. We've also designed and printed photo books, using inDesign to design the layout, including page folds, proper margins, full spread imagery and pages with fine-tuned galleries.

Adobe InDesign review by Danielle C.
Public Relations Manager
Public Relations and Communications

"Fun and efficient"

What do you like best?

It is very user friendly and I am able to get my work done for my client in a timely manner. Templates are helpful when I am in a time pinch and need a design done quickly. I love the quality of the designs I create, even when they are exported to JPEGs or PDFs. My client is always very pleased with the look of the designs and the timeliness that I am able to get them done in, thanks to InDesign.

What do you dislike?

Honestly there isn’t much I dislike. Sometimes it glitches but I’m not sure if it is the app or my MacBook causing the issues. The glitches are not anything major. Sometimes I cannot resize everything by holding down command and shift, but if I close out the program and restart it, it will work fine. I do notice that it seems to update frequently which can be inconvenient at first, but is better in the long run because it means that the program is constantly improving to meet the user's needs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend this program based on its usefulness to me and the company I work for. It has been more than sufficient for designing flyers, brochures, timelines, web content and anything else we need. I am able to design quickly and effectively.

I am able to design flyers, brochures, posters, web content and anything else that my client requires of me in a timely manner.

Adobe InDesign review by Chelsea H.
Marketing Coordinator/Administrative Assistant
Architecture & Planning

"A Necessary Program for Marketers"

What do you like best?

I like the ease of the program when it comes to text layout. I primarily make proposals for the Architectural industry using InDesign and I love it. It provides versatile design and text layout options, so much more easily than Microsoft Word or other text programs.

What do you dislike?

I honestly don't dislike anything about it, besides that it crashes sometimes after I've been running it a while with multiple documents, but I'm sure that happens with any program.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You should probably purchase the whole basic Adobe Creative Suite (Indesign, Photoshop and Illustrator) since they compliment each other well. You can use InDesign for the text layouts, and Illustrator for vector-based art within your project, and photoshop to edit photos. It might be pricy, but I did get my personal package with a student discount which helped. For a mid-sized business like mine with a marketing department, this program is a must-have.

Easy text layout among multiple pages and documents is a life saver. I have to work with many layout and font size restrictions for proposals and without InDesign my documents would be difficult to organize.

Adobe InDesign review by Santiago G.
Consultor de sistemas

"Best desktop publishing software"

What do you like best?

It makes easy to create fast actions to automate the work when creating books and magazines. I have a lot of master files that are ready to work in new projects and make a very fast workflow. It´s easy to change styles with only one click, make massive replacements in the document with the search tool and export the document to send it and print.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it freezed or closed without show error, not a common issue but when it happens it frustates the user. If you are using the last version of the software, you cannot open your work with older indesign versions, i had an old computer with indesign 2015 and was not able no to open a 2018 indesign file.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It´s a cheap option if you think about what it offers. Nice software, makes my work a lot easier.

I actually work publishing books for a client, most are novels with only text with headers, index, some mixed styles and all that stuff. Sometimes i create small magazines and similar. Other text editors has posibilities to edit books but doen´t have all the details that indesign has.

Adobe InDesign review by Irina G.

"Muy buena herramienta para material impreso "

What do you like best?

Tablas, paginación, indice, Indesign brilla en lo que falla a Adobe Illustrator, es esencial si editas documentos largos con textos que se expanden en varias paginas, pero sin perder toda la libertad creativa de trabajar con vectores y fotos que te da herramientas de diseño como Illustrator, también ofrece integración con los demás programas de la suite adobe, pudendo utilizar tanto el copiar y pegar entre los programas como la importación de material solamente arrastrando el archivo.

What do you dislike?

Las herramientas de diseño no son tan completas y funcionales cuanto illustrator, y su forma de trabajar s algo mas difícil, necesitando algo mas de tiempo para adaptarse, pero supongo que es principalmente por yo tener más experiencia y facilidad con diseño gráfico que maquetación.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Muy indicado para documentos con muchas paginas, para material mas reducido puede que Illustrator os sirva mejor.

Como la mayoría de material que hacemos con folletos y material para web con pocas paginas, la verdad es que utilizamos Illustrator mucho mas menudo, pero i tenemos algún material de marketing con más contenido para los cuales utilizamos Adobe Indesign.

Adobe InDesign review by Joseph S.
Owner
Graphic Design

"A good program to use in conjunction with Illustrator "

What do you like best?

Indesign works very nicely when laying out brochures of magazines, for example it has tools to easily manage the flow of text into columns, and quickly change layout options.

What do you dislike?

There is a lack good integrated vector editing tools, such as the pen tool included in illustrator. Thie makes it a little annoying to go back and forth between the Adobe programs. I feel like I am constantly switching between Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign while working on different client projects.

The price is also quite high due to the fact that it comes bundled with all of Adobe's other programs. I also do not like how Adobe moved away from downloaded versions of their software to a subscription-based service.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a very good program to use, in fact, I would consider it the industry standard. However, it is very expensive and comes packaged with the rest of the Adobe suite (Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Acrobat, and Illustrator.)

I use InDesign to work on print projects for clients that require extensive layout work such as magazines and brochures.

Adobe InDesign review by Andrew M.
Design

"Best layout software"

What do you like best?

Years ago I moved from Quark to Indesign 2.0. and the transition was awesome. Indesign uses the familiar tools you love from illustrator and photoshop but so much more for layout.

I especially love the display performance modes, use fast display when just working with copy, and high quality when working with graphics. Other great features to note are Master pages, and scripts. Scripts allow you to automate repetitive tasks and speed up workflow.

What do you dislike?

I don't really like the IDML file system to back save to previous versions on indesign, but that is not a deal breaker. It can just be confusing when trying to communicate to someone else how to save indesign files for a lower version. Illustrator for example, just lets you choose which version you would like to save to, CS5 CS4 etc.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are going to be doing any sort of page layout, or multiple page documents Adobe Indesign is the right program to use, especially if you are familiar with any Adobe software because there is a lot of common tools and menu items. This makes the learning a new program not so intimidating.

Biggest benefit would be time saving when working with large format graphics. Occasionally I will even use Indesign to layout graphics that I would normally in illustrator just because of the fast display mode.

For page layout, or any multiple page documents Indesign is the only tool I use because it meets all of my needs.

Adobe InDesign review by Alyson B.

"Terrible Customer Service"

What do you like best?

The design possibilities are endless on here. I was able to redo my many of the marketing materials my company uses through this one program.

What do you dislike?

It took more than a week for customer service to fix my program, even though they said it was marked as a priority. It kept shutting my entire laptop down and I need this program for work. Customer service employees were rude and not willing to listen to the problems that I was having, they kept telling me it was already fixed! I also had to talk to four different employees. I kept getting my calls cut off and they would not connect me with the previous person I spoke with and they never called me back.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Never call customer support, it was a complete waste of time for me. I could find another design program with all of the capabilities of InDesign I would switch in a heart beat after my experience with their customer support.

I design brochures, invites, and flyers by using the Adobe InDesign. This has been great for updating out marketing materials.

Adobe InDesign review by Sierra  L.

"Complicated at first glance but great potential "

What do you like best?

I just recently started using Adobe InDesign for the graphic design aspect of Marketing, and so far it's great for making brochures and job proposals. It's quite difficult to navigate at first, therefore I've been watching numerous tutorial videos in order to teahc myself how to use InDeisgn properly and most effectively.

What do you dislike?

Thus far, I've disliked how long it takes to first learn everything Adobe InDesign has to offer. Although there are a plethora of tutorial videos on different websites including Youtube, had I not watched these long videos, I most likely wouldn't have been able to figure InDeisgn out on my own.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This program is great if you're looking to impress your boss, especially if you are in marketing. InDeisgn allows you to create impressive graphics that only a graphic design major would otherwise know.

I've been able to really impress my boss with my nifty graphic designs. Adobe InDesign is not ony great for making graphics, but you're able to put together proposals, make brochures, posters, marketing and advertising signs, and much more. Additionally, knowing Adobe InDesign is beneficial in learning Adobe Illustrator, a complement progran.

Adobe InDesign review by Rachel Y.
Marketing Contractor
(Myself Only)

"Professional documents with minimal effort"

What do you like best?

I like the ability to tweak the text with precise kerning, tracking and leading. I also like the column option that allows you to spread a header across the page as opposed to creating a new text box. Moving text boxes around, while maintaining an already set text wrap makes life easier.

What do you dislike?

The linking of text can be difficult to undo without removing the formatting. Even with paragraph styles, unlinking text from another page can create a mess.

I am not able to resize .jpgs within InDesign, having to return to Photoshop is a pain.

Character styles seem redundant, for the most part. I rarely use it, I can just tweak my individual paragraph style.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take some tutorials through Lynda.com or watch some You Tube videos. Once you get a solid foundation, the learning curve is manageable.

I am able to import vectors to create mock-up of a web page design (Illustrator does not offer quick and efficient text formatting options).

InDesign allows me to create colorful text boxes, basic shapes and maintains the text formatting should I tweak the shape or round the corners

Adobe InDesign review by Michael T.
Looking for Small Investment, Funding, Patron
Publishing

"The King of The Hill in Desktop Publishing"

What do you like best?

Ease of use, Cross-platform files, panels, typography, simple drawing tasks, being able to put small graphics into the text box of your content, allowing it to flow and be near text you need it to be and looking like it might be a font instead of a graphic. Indesign's ability to do almost everything well but kick ass publishing output for print, e-readers or online content is outstanding. Being able to preset everything is a really nice touch throughout Adobe products but with many documents being a grind to get through, it really shines here. Having a visual meter when producing output, like for creating pdf's letting you know things are still progressing.

If you've worked in an ad agency, this is your number one production workhorse, capable of creating many different iterations of the same content for different executions.

What do you dislike?

Like most complex programs there can be a lag when starting up and font loading, depending upon how you activate your fonts can be tricky. Oh and watch out for on the fly font substitutions by the program if you switch form Windows to Mac with the same file. But hey, at least you can do that sort of cross-platform work, yes?

Recommendations to others considering the product

100% you need it.

large publications, multiple language publications, one-sheets, ads and the like - actually for ad work across multiple sized iterations and languages, it's amazing.

Adobe InDesign review by Baldomero C.
Diseñador gráfico
Graphic Design

"Buen programa, pero le falta algo"

What do you like best?

Es un programa muy potente y funcional, aunque algo confuso en algunos momentos o instrucciones. Lo mejor, sin duda alguna, es su total compatibilidad y retroalimentacion con Adobe Photoshop, como es lógico pensar. Esto hace poder importar y exportar proyectos de uno a otro, con las ventajas que ello conlleva. Las páginas maestras están muy bien implementadas, con muchas opciones útiles a la hora de componer.

What do you dislike?

Lo que hace que InDesign no sea mi primera opción, frente a otros programas similares, es lo poco intuitivo que es con respecto a esos otros programas. La interfaz puede parecer confusa, y los comandos muchas veces estan muy mal localizados, con atajos tan poco prácticos como dificiles de recordar.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Hay otros programas de diseño y maquetación mejores para mi gusto, sin embargo es un gran programa y la alta compatibilidad que tiene con Photoshop es un gran aliciente para su adquisición

Al ser más potente que otros productos de la competencia, es capaz de generar archivos más grandes en menos tiempo. Sin embrago, para trabajos cotidianos no es mi primera opción.

Adobe InDesign review by Alana P.

"Indesign is the BEST for single and multipage layout design"

What do you like best?

Indesign makes it very easy by automatically including your live area guides for ideal margins. I can tell immediately when someone uses another program that does not assist with margin suggestions.

What do you dislike?

If I had to identify sometime I disliked about Indesign, it would have to be the fact that is does not have robust graphics tools. However, it is designed that way on purpose! Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop fulfill those needs. Once the graphic/image is finalized in one of those programs, I simply drop it into Indesign.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is truly an amazing tool if you want to create polished materials whether they be digital or print. There are many details, such as snapping guides and alignment features, that make Adobe Indesign a true gem to work with.

We use Indesign for a multitude of things. It is our first choice for print and digital publishing. This includes case studies, one pagers, product info sheets, press releases, internal company documents, e-books, printed books/ product guides... etc. The list goes on. Beautiful program.