Adobe InDesign

Adobe InDesign is a versatile desktop publishing application that gives you pixel- perfect control over design and typography.

Work for Adobe InDesign?

Learning about Adobe InDesign?

Adobe InDesign Reviews

Showing 1870 Adobe InDesign reviews
Adobe InDesign review by <span>Jennifer S.</span>
Jennifer S.

"Good for intermediate to advanced desktop publishing"

What do you like best?

If you're creating an extensive company newsletter, an ebook for your product, a newspaper for your school, etc, this is likely the software that you need. It is a high-end desktop publishing product and was the standard back when I was working in newspapers. From what I've heard, it still is.

What do you dislike?

If you're working on smaller projects, you can spend a ton of time just getting things set up and ready for content. For smaller projects, unless you use InDesign a lot, I would recommend other desktop publishing software.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take some time to learn how to use the product, how to create your custom items that you can add to your library, etc well before you need to create your finished item. It's a very powerful product, but can also take some time to learn.

I used this quite heavily back when I worked in newspapers - it was the software we used to create all of our newspaper layouts, insert content, etc and then send it to the publisher to be printed. If you're going to be working with a professional printer, this is a very good product to invest in, as it's made for exactly that. It will add all of the crop marks and other tools necessary for your products to be properly printed, cut, and finished. I also used this software a lot in college to create professional looking reports and other documents.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Adobe InDesign
Adobe InDesign review by <span>Claire G.</span>
Claire G.

"Best Document Design Software"

What do you like best?

Indesign is intuitive. I like the extra space on the board where you can leave elements you aren't sure if you want to use or not without putting them in the document. I like the level of customization - i.e. that you can change the color of the background of your workspace from light gray to dark gray. I love that you can drag and drop pages into any order you want (especially the option to disable "document shuffle") Another customization feature I find useful is the ability to set the increments of how much an element moves with each tap of the arrow keys (can move a lot or a smaller amount).

What do you dislike?

Sometimes when switching between monitors and laptop, the toolbar gets lost and is very hard to locate. On certain laptops (I have an HP at work) the space bar shortcut doesn't work when zooming the same way it works when hooked to a monitor and keyboard. I wish the spacebar worked all the time for that.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Indesign is by far the best - it's ruined even Microsoft Word for me!

Designing training documents, one-pagers, white papers, etc.

What Desktop Publishing solution do you use?

Adobe InDesign review by <span>Molly M.</span>
Molly M.

"Dependable System for Creating Layouts"

What do you like best?

My favorite features of InDesign are the layout settings--in which I can set up an underlying grid to my designs--and the ability to create paragraph and character styles. InDesign makes it easy to create consistent pages in a document, and I can easily make global changes by adjusting these features.

What do you dislike?

I'm not sure if it's the printers I'm using or InDesign itself, but sometimes I find it difficult to print documents, which often take 30 minutes to send to the printer. Sometimes the program becomes unresponsive when I try to adjust the print settings. Otherwise, I think it's one of the most solid Adobe programs in terms of its capabilities and ease of use.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I work back and forth between InDesign and Microsoft Word when dealing with text because there is no grammar check feature within InDesign, so I always copy and paste.

I use InDesign from a creative side and also as a way to make professional tools, such as invoice sheets, presentations, and budgets. While not as intuitive as the Microsoft products, it's a great way for me to make highly customized documents that stand out.

Adobe InDesign review by <span>Jessica D.</span>
Jessica D.

"White Papers? Check!"

What do you like best?

If you work on white papers frequently, like I do, you know that if you want them to look good you need to move beyond Microsoft Word or Google Docs. InDesign is the perfect tool for text-heavy designs because it's designed specifically for editing print documents. It's got great typography and color tools and it's a breeze to make layout changes.

What do you dislike?

Now for the bad stuff... InDesign is frustrating sometimes because it breaks so many of the paradigms you're used to from Photoshop and Illustrator. While there are usually good reasons for these choices, it just feels unfamiliar enough that it can be frustrating to hit the wrong shortcuts and forget momentarily why something isn't working.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need to create white papers or other print documents, I strongly recommend giving InDesign a try.

I use InDesign to create layouts for white papers and other "print" documents. It's a beautiful tool that helps me every day.

Adobe InDesign review by <span>Maria M.</span>
Maria M.

"Great for Complicated Print Document Design"

What do you like best?

I work on a lot of complicated brochures and print designs with copy that goes through multiple stages of edits concurrent to the design process. InDesign is fantastic for this because it's designed specifically with print in mind. The tools to lay out text and preserve spacing and kerning even after significant copy edits are second to none!

What do you dislike?

InDesign would really benefit from better handling of exports from other Adobe tools. Adobe Bridge is completely inadequate for my needs and it takes too much time to properly import images in the right way.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have a simple print project, you can use just about any design tool to produce it. But if you expect multiple edits and changing copy, InDesign is the right tool for the job.

Adobe InDesign makes complex print layouts a snap to create, edit, and maintain. It's the only tool that lets me get these types of project done on time.

Adobe InDesign review by <span>Joshua J.</span>
Joshua J.

"Can't say enough good things about this product"

What do you like best?

There aren't enough positive words or expressions in the English language to describe the usefulness of Adobe InDesign. I have been using the program for nearly 5 years in media design, and I am still in awe of this interface. As far as all typography-based design needs go, nothing beats the creative capabilities of this program.

What do you dislike?

There is very little I can say about this program negatively. I wish the button for "Share to Behance" wasn't right next to "Export," as I am always clicking the former as opposed to the latter by mistake, but other than that InDesign is a nearly flawless program that I would be lost without.

My company uses InDesign to lay out the pages of our daily publication. Due to its incredible capabilities and the option to integrate vjoon K4 collaboration right into the interface, our entire team (scattered around the country) is able to meet rigorous daily deadlines, all thanks to this program.

Learning about Adobe InDesign?

* We monitor all Adobe InDesign reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.