Adobe InDesign

4.6
(2,098)

Adobe InDesign is a versatile desktop publishing application that gives you pixel- perfect control over design and typography.

Work for Adobe InDesign?

Learning about Adobe InDesign?

We can help you find the solution that fits you best.

Adobe InDesign Reviews

Chat with a G2 Advisor
Write a Review
Filter Reviews
Filter Reviews
  • Ratings
  • Company Size
  • User Role
  • Industry
Ratings
Company Size
User Role
Industry
Showing 2,098 Adobe InDesign reviews
LinkedIn Connections
Adobe InDesign review by David N.
David N.
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source

"¡Traiga sus revistas a la existencia como un periódico de Harry Potter!"

What do you like best?

Utilizo Indesign para todo lo que requiere tipografía, ya sea un volante, un póster, una pancarta, una tarjeta de presentación, etc. Es una bestia en formato, algunos de los equipos no son tan intuitivos como me encantaría en un programa de software de diseño. Aunque InDesign tiene una gran parte de una curva de estudio al principio, tan pronto como uno domina las habilidades simples, las posibilidades de lo que se puede realizar son casi infinitas, principalmente mientras que junto con diferentes programas de software de Adobe, me encanta indesign, estoy completamente vendido en su interfaz

What do you dislike?

Pero supongo que puede decir que aproximadamente el máximo programa de software de Adobe. Illustrator, por ejemplo, simplemente le permite elegir la versión que le gustaría almacenar, CS5 CS4 y muchas otras. Se necesita mucha organización y persistencia en mi renuncia de vez en cuando, sin embargo, sin duda, no ha habido ningún problema con la realidad. aplicación Hay tutoriales sobre Adobe y varios en Youtube también

Recommendations to others considering the product

Si usted es diseñador y está creando comerciales, desea este software. Las empresas de impresión todavía toman documentos de Editorial por el momento, pero en el sentido de los doctores de InDesign. Es una interfaz más complicada que el software de presentación fundamental, pero vale la pena Al igual que con todos los productos de Adobe, ya no es viable elegirlo en su personal: querrá una categoría o solo algunos tutoriales de YouTube y un todo Mucha práctica para ser un profesional en eso. PDF documentos en documentos con facilidad

What business problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

Sin embargo, nos dimos cuenta de que incluso como Photoshop puede ser espléndido para la edición de fotos, no cumplió con nuestro deseo. Estoy creando fotografías y comerciales fáciles y nítidos. Deseos de diseño gráfico: catálogos, folletos, hojas de promoción, tarjetas de datos del producto.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Adobe InDesign
Adobe InDesign review by User in Non-Profit Organization Management
User in Non-Profit Organization Management
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source

"Great for Marketing Purposes!"

What do you like best?

What I like best is that Adobe InDesign is a great supplement to Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Photoshop. While the others allow for editing photos and creating content necessary for branding such as logos, Adobe InDesign enables me to create flyers, posters, banners, and other graphical content for promotional purposes.

What do you dislike?

What I dislike is how frustrating it can be to duplicate pages, as I'm still not sure as to how the Master Pages option works, as it's somewhat difficult to understand. In addition, I also find it a little harder to navigate with my keyboard, as the shortcuts are a little different from other Adobe products.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Absolutely amazing and I'm sure it will be a great asset to your company like how Photoshop is to many. I'd highly reccomend using InDesign to fulfill your graphic design needs!

What business problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

A business problem that we solved with Adobe InDesign is creating posters and flyers to post and share to our audience. By creating these with Adobe Indesign, we are able to export them into whatever format we prefer and share it with our audience.

What Desktop Publishing solution do you use?

Thanks for letting us know!
Adobe InDesign review by Kristy K.
Kristy K.
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source

"InDesign a Necessity for Page Layout!"

What do you like best?

ID gives you the ability to create practically anything! Books, magazines, pamphlets, postcards, letterhead -- you name it. It includes high-powered tools that allow you to automate many activities, thereby streamlining your work time. It also allows you to be completely precise with your typography and integrates well with Illustrator and Photoshop.

What do you dislike?

Some of the tools are cumbersome to use at first -- like learning GREP code. You have to do a lot of studying to understand how to use it properly. This is really the only issue I ever run into: knowing that ID has a function that I want to use but it's sometimes difficult to figure out how to do it or make it work correctly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It will likely take a while to learn all the bells and whistles that come with this program, but the end result will be well worth it. ID is the industry standard for page layout -- I don't know any designers who use another program. I would recommend taking some courses on Lynda.com to really understand all of the functionalities of this program.

What business problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

I use InDesign exclusively when I need to design for page layout of any type. This program gives me the tools I need to create professional quality designs for my clients, and for my own marketing materials.

Adobe InDesign review by Katie B.
Katie B.
Validated Reviewer
Review Source

"Useful, but not very user friendly"

What do you like best?

I like that InDesign allows you to customize so many settings, from the font type and color to the background, to the way to insert pictures. I also like the sheer volume and variety of tools that it provides.

What do you dislike?

InDesign is not user friendly at all, to me. The icons provided for the tools are not very intuitive, and there are so many options! I wish it was more streamlined to get where you need to be. I can usually use softwares very easily, with no outside help, but with InDesign, I am constantly having to Google how to do the most basic functions, like resizing a picture while keeping its proportions the same, for example. It is ridiculous and impedes my productivity with the software.

What business problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

I am using InDesign to create our departmental newsletter. The final product does look beautiful once it is converted into PDF format, and it was actually pretty easy to convert indd files to PDFs. Anyway, this newsletter is used to communicate events, news, and other happenings that are relevant to the people in the psychology department, along with university alumni.

Adobe InDesign review by Patrick M.
Patrick M.
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source

"Great for designing text-heavy graphics"

What do you like best?

I create graphics for a print and online news source. I find that InDesign is the ideal tool for creating clean and impactful graphics and ads, particularly if the graphics are heavy on text. It's easy to import and place elements from other programs, and I like the y final product has a sharp and clean look.

What do you dislike?

When I'm creating an ad that utilizes illustrations and pictorial elements, I find ifit a bit more difficult to import and manipulate those elements. For me, In Design works best on text and fonts. The interface is not intuitive and using jpegs, for instance, requires a bit more thought about process.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is ideal for creating text heavy graphics. If you're using pictorial elements, I would recommend Adobe Illustrator

What business problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

I'm creating clean and sharp graphics and ads quickly. Speed is important due to the volume of graphics that need to be created on deadline.

Adobe InDesign review by Samuel O.
Samuel O.
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source

"Indesign "The most versatile tool for editorial design and layout" "

What do you like best?

It is truly a wonderful, powerful, very versatile tool that has a very complete interface and has multiple functions. It is ideal for editorial design and layout, being able to carry out simple projects such as flayer, manuals, catalogs, color brochures, black and white, with texts, images; even more complex creations such as magazines, conventional and interactive books, newspapers and many other publications, being also a compiler of images, vectors and texts.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it is unstable and tends to close itself, requires a good team to avoid obstacles, or errors when editing or include multimedia files and the learning curve is long, so you have to be patient, until you can handle it completely.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Indesigh, is the number one application worldwide for editorial design, and that speaks for itself, in terms of reliability and versatility and quality.

Another important feature of this tool is that it is easily integrated with other applications of the adobe suite, which allows users to use illustrator and Photoshop resources without having to resort to third applications. It also allows you to share projects on social networks, such as Facebook, twitter, or email, with a single click.

What business problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

There are many benefits that this application provides when working with it, being the standard when it comes to designing an editor, so the papers presented are widely accepted by all. It is also very effective when managing the paging of documents, and ideal for working with large amounts of texts and very useful for handling large or heavy files, many pages, or collections of books

Adobe InDesign review by Danielle C.
Danielle C.
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source

"Fun and efficient"

What do you like best?

It is very user friendly and I am able to get my work done for my client in a timely manner. Templates are helpful when I am in a time pinch and need a design done quickly. I love the quality of the designs I create, even when they are exported to JPEGs or PDFs. My client is always very pleased with the look of the designs and the timeliness that I am able to get them done in, thanks to InDesign.

What do you dislike?

Honestly there isn’t much I dislike. Sometimes it glitches but I’m not sure if it is the app or my MacBook causing the issues. The glitches are not anything major. Sometimes I cannot resize everything by holding down command and shift, but if I close out the program and restart it, it will work fine. I do notice that it seems to update frequently which can be inconvenient at first, but is better in the long run because it means that the program is constantly improving to meet the user's needs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend this program based on its usefulness to me and the company I work for. It has been more than sufficient for designing flyers, brochures, timelines, web content and anything else we need. I am able to design quickly and effectively.

What business problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

I am able to design flyers, brochures, posters, web content and anything else that my client requires of me in a timely manner.

Adobe InDesign review by Chelsea H.
Chelsea H.
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source

"A Necessary Program for Marketers"

What do you like best?

I like the ease of the program when it comes to text layout. I primarily make proposals for the Architectural industry using InDesign and I love it. It provides versatile design and text layout options, so much more easily than Microsoft Word or other text programs.

What do you dislike?

I honestly don't dislike anything about it, besides that it crashes sometimes after I've been running it a while with multiple documents, but I'm sure that happens with any program.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You should probably purchase the whole basic Adobe Creative Suite (Indesign, Photoshop and Illustrator) since they compliment each other well. You can use InDesign for the text layouts, and Illustrator for vector-based art within your project, and photoshop to edit photos. It might be pricy, but I did get my personal package with a student discount which helped. For a mid-sized business like mine with a marketing department, this program is a must-have.

What business problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

Easy text layout among multiple pages and documents is a life saver. I have to work with many layout and font size restrictions for proposals and without InDesign my documents would be difficult to organize.

Adobe InDesign review by Santiago G.
Santiago G.
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source

"Best desktop publishing software"

What do you like best?

It makes easy to create fast actions to automate the work when creating books and magazines. I have a lot of master files that are ready to work in new projects and make a very fast workflow. It´s easy to change styles with only one click, make massive replacements in the document with the search tool and export the document to send it and print.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it freezed or closed without show error, not a common issue but when it happens it frustates the user. If you are using the last version of the software, you cannot open your work with older indesign versions, i had an old computer with indesign 2015 and was not able no to open a 2018 indesign file.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It´s a cheap option if you think about what it offers. Nice software, makes my work a lot easier.

What business problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

I actually work publishing books for a client, most are novels with only text with headers, index, some mixed styles and all that stuff. Sometimes i create small magazines and similar. Other text editors has posibilities to edit books but doen´t have all the details that indesign has.

Adobe InDesign review by Irina G.
Irina G.
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source

"Muy buena herramienta para material impreso "

What do you like best?

Tablas, paginación, indice, Indesign brilla en lo que falla a Adobe Illustrator, es esencial si editas documentos largos con textos que se expanden en varias paginas, pero sin perder toda la libertad creativa de trabajar con vectores y fotos que te da herramientas de diseño como Illustrator, también ofrece integración con los demás programas de la suite adobe, pudendo utilizar tanto el copiar y pegar entre los programas como la importación de material solamente arrastrando el archivo.

What do you dislike?

Las herramientas de diseño no son tan completas y funcionales cuanto illustrator, y su forma de trabajar s algo mas difícil, necesitando algo mas de tiempo para adaptarse, pero supongo que es principalmente por yo tener más experiencia y facilidad con diseño gráfico que maquetación.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Muy indicado para documentos con muchas paginas, para material mas reducido puede que Illustrator os sirva mejor.

What business problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

Como la mayoría de material que hacemos con folletos y material para web con pocas paginas, la verdad es que utilizamos Illustrator mucho mas menudo, pero i tenemos algún material de marketing con más contenido para los cuales utilizamos Adobe Indesign.

Adobe InDesign review by Joseph S.
Joseph S.
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source

"A good program to use in conjunction with Illustrator "

What do you like best?

Indesign works very nicely when laying out brochures of magazines, for example it has tools to easily manage the flow of text into columns, and quickly change layout options.

What do you dislike?

There is a lack good integrated vector editing tools, such as the pen tool included in illustrator. Thie makes it a little annoying to go back and forth between the Adobe programs. I feel like I am constantly switching between Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign while working on different client projects.

The price is also quite high due to the fact that it comes bundled with all of Adobe's other programs. I also do not like how Adobe moved away from downloaded versions of their software to a subscription-based service.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a very good program to use, in fact, I would consider it the industry standard. However, it is very expensive and comes packaged with the rest of the Adobe suite (Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Acrobat, and Illustrator.)

What business problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

I use InDesign to work on print projects for clients that require extensive layout work such as magazines and brochures.

Adobe InDesign review by Andrew M.
Andrew M.
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source

"Best layout software"

What do you like best?

Years ago I moved from Quark to Indesign 2.0. and the transition was awesome. Indesign uses the familiar tools you love from illustrator and photoshop but so much more for layout.

I especially love the display performance modes, use fast display when just working with copy, and high quality when working with graphics. Other great features to note are Master pages, and scripts. Scripts allow you to automate repetitive tasks and speed up workflow.

What do you dislike?

I don't really like the IDML file system to back save to previous versions on indesign, but that is not a deal breaker. It can just be confusing when trying to communicate to someone else how to save indesign files for a lower version. Illustrator for example, just lets you choose which version you would like to save to, CS5 CS4 etc.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are going to be doing any sort of page layout, or multiple page documents Adobe Indesign is the right program to use, especially if you are familiar with any Adobe software because there is a lot of common tools and menu items. This makes the learning a new program not so intimidating.

What business problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

Biggest benefit would be time saving when working with large format graphics. Occasionally I will even use Indesign to layout graphics that I would normally in illustrator just because of the fast display mode.

For page layout, or any multiple page documents Indesign is the only tool I use because it meets all of my needs.

Adobe InDesign review by Alyson B.
Alyson B.
Validated Reviewer
Review Source

"Terrible Customer Service"

What do you like best?

The design possibilities are endless on here. I was able to redo my many of the marketing materials my company uses through this one program.

What do you dislike?

It took more than a week for customer service to fix my program, even though they said it was marked as a priority. It kept shutting my entire laptop down and I need this program for work. Customer service employees were rude and not willing to listen to the problems that I was having, they kept telling me it was already fixed! I also had to talk to four different employees. I kept getting my calls cut off and they would not connect me with the previous person I spoke with and they never called me back.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Never call customer support, it was a complete waste of time for me. I could find another design program with all of the capabilities of InDesign I would switch in a heart beat after my experience with their customer support.

What business problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

I design brochures, invites, and flyers by using the Adobe InDesign. This has been great for updating out marketing materials.

Adobe InDesign review by Sierra  L.
Sierra L.
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source

"Complicated at first glance but great potential "

What do you like best?

I just recently started using Adobe InDesign for the graphic design aspect of Marketing, and so far it's great for making brochures and job proposals. It's quite difficult to navigate at first, therefore I've been watching numerous tutorial videos in order to teahc myself how to use InDeisgn properly and most effectively.

What do you dislike?

Thus far, I've disliked how long it takes to first learn everything Adobe InDesign has to offer. Although there are a plethora of tutorial videos on different websites including Youtube, had I not watched these long videos, I most likely wouldn't have been able to figure InDeisgn out on my own.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This program is great if you're looking to impress your boss, especially if you are in marketing. InDeisgn allows you to create impressive graphics that only a graphic design major would otherwise know.

What business problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

I've been able to really impress my boss with my nifty graphic designs. Adobe InDesign is not ony great for making graphics, but you're able to put together proposals, make brochures, posters, marketing and advertising signs, and much more. Additionally, knowing Adobe InDesign is beneficial in learning Adobe Illustrator, a complement progran.

Adobe InDesign review by Rachel Y.
Rachel Y.
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source

"Professional documents with minimal effort"

What do you like best?

I like the ability to tweak the text with precise kerning, tracking and leading. I also like the column option that allows you to spread a header across the page as opposed to creating a new text box. Moving text boxes around, while maintaining an already set text wrap makes life easier.

What do you dislike?

The linking of text can be difficult to undo without removing the formatting. Even with paragraph styles, unlinking text from another page can create a mess.

I am not able to resize .jpgs within InDesign, having to return to Photoshop is a pain.

Character styles seem redundant, for the most part. I rarely use it, I can just tweak my individual paragraph style.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take some tutorials through Lynda.com or watch some You Tube videos. Once you get a solid foundation, the learning curve is manageable.

What business problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

I am able to import vectors to create mock-up of a web page design (Illustrator does not offer quick and efficient text formatting options).

InDesign allows me to create colorful text boxes, basic shapes and maintains the text formatting should I tweak the shape or round the corners

Adobe InDesign review by Michael T.
Michael T.
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source

"The King of The Hill in Desktop Publishing"

What do you like best?

Ease of use, Cross-platform files, panels, typography, simple drawing tasks, being able to put small graphics into the text box of your content, allowing it to flow and be near text you need it to be and looking like it might be a font instead of a graphic. Indesign's ability to do almost everything well but kick ass publishing output for print, e-readers or online content is outstanding. Being able to preset everything is a really nice touch throughout Adobe products but with many documents being a grind to get through, it really shines here. Having a visual meter when producing output, like for creating pdf's letting you know things are still progressing.

If you've worked in an ad agency, this is your number one production workhorse, capable of creating many different iterations of the same content for different executions.

What do you dislike?

Like most complex programs there can be a lag when starting up and font loading, depending upon how you activate your fonts can be tricky. Oh and watch out for on the fly font substitutions by the program if you switch form Windows to Mac with the same file. But hey, at least you can do that sort of cross-platform work, yes?

Recommendations to others considering the product

100% you need it.

What business problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

large publications, multiple language publications, one-sheets, ads and the like - actually for ad work across multiple sized iterations and languages, it's amazing.

Adobe InDesign review by Baldomero C.
Baldomero C.
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source

"Buen programa, pero le falta algo"

What do you like best?

Es un programa muy potente y funcional, aunque algo confuso en algunos momentos o instrucciones. Lo mejor, sin duda alguna, es su total compatibilidad y retroalimentacion con Adobe Photoshop, como es lógico pensar. Esto hace poder importar y exportar proyectos de uno a otro, con las ventajas que ello conlleva. Las páginas maestras están muy bien implementadas, con muchas opciones útiles a la hora de componer.

What do you dislike?

Lo que hace que InDesign no sea mi primera opción, frente a otros programas similares, es lo poco intuitivo que es con respecto a esos otros programas. La interfaz puede parecer confusa, y los comandos muchas veces estan muy mal localizados, con atajos tan poco prácticos como dificiles de recordar.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Hay otros programas de diseño y maquetación mejores para mi gusto, sin embargo es un gran programa y la alta compatibilidad que tiene con Photoshop es un gran aliciente para su adquisición

What business problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

Al ser más potente que otros productos de la competencia, es capaz de generar archivos más grandes en menos tiempo. Sin embrago, para trabajos cotidianos no es mi primera opción.

Adobe InDesign review by Alana P.
Alana P.
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source

"Indesign is the BEST for single and multipage layout design"

What do you like best?

Indesign makes it very easy by automatically including your live area guides for ideal margins. I can tell immediately when someone uses another program that does not assist with margin suggestions.

What do you dislike?

If I had to identify sometime I disliked about Indesign, it would have to be the fact that is does not have robust graphics tools. However, it is designed that way on purpose! Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop fulfill those needs. Once the graphic/image is finalized in one of those programs, I simply drop it into Indesign.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is truly an amazing tool if you want to create polished materials whether they be digital or print. There are many details, such as snapping guides and alignment features, that make Adobe Indesign a true gem to work with.

What business problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

We use Indesign for a multitude of things. It is our first choice for print and digital publishing. This includes case studies, one pagers, product info sheets, press releases, internal company documents, e-books, printed books/ product guides... etc. The list goes on. Beautiful program.

Adobe InDesign review by Justin M.
Justin M.
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source

"The best way to design your book!"

What do you like best?

InDesign does everything I need and still runs light on my computer. By that, I mean it's always responsive and never lags. I love Adobe, but my bottom-of-the-line Macbook Pro has trouble with some heavier software. The folks who built InDesign are smart, and even with a page full of photos, my design process doesn't get interrupted with that horrible spinning color wheel.

What do you dislike?

I wish InDesign had a few more of Adobe Illustrators vector based features. Sometimes I have to create more complex objects in Illustrator and copy/paste them in. I am glad copy/paste works well between the two programs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Access to great downloadable templates let me complete projects in half the time (at least). You also have complete design control, as opposed to Microsoft Office solutions. Other similar softwares just frustrate me after being spoiled by InDesign.

What business problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

I use InDesign for booklets and other heavy text publications (anything with two or more pages that won't require other people's editing abilities). There are wild amounts of templates available online for Indesign. The Master Pages then allow you to quickly tweak a templates design across an entire document.

Adobe InDesign review by Abbey L.
Abbey L.
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source

"Senior Graphic Designer's review of InDesign"

What do you like best?

I have been using InDesign for the past 15 years and it is a great program for designing presentations, books or other multi-page documents. I'm much happier with it now that I am much more used to using it. In my first few years using InDesign I found some things difficult to figure out. I'm glad Adobe has implemented blending modes and vector elements!

What do you dislike?

I have had major issues with transparency -- certain blending modes result in strange appearances in PDF and sometimes in print! That should really be looked into.

I've also had some difficulty scaling grouped vector elements, which has not been ideal. I've had to go back into Illustrator and adjust until I figure out the perfect size for my InDesign document. It would be great if Adobe could fix this!

When designing printed booklets that require printer spreads setups, I have struggled with the automated tool. It still does not set my design up correctly into printer spreads and I have had to manually adjust the pages.

Recommendations to others considering the product

InDesign is great for book layouts, presentations, and other multi-page documents! You can easily set up a few masters to keep consistent elements in the same place on different pages. You have a lot of the flexibility of blending modes and type tools in Photoshop and Illustrator but many capabilities specific for multi-page documents that you won't find in those programs. (I have also worked on presentations in Illustrator using multiple art boards but have found this to be a bit cumbersome.)

What business problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

I have used InDesign to set up several different music packaging products my company has released. I have also utilized the program to create many presentations for my company's internal needs.

Adobe InDesign review by Jeremiah B.
Jeremiah B.
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source

"Use it for Menu Layouts and Portfolio Work"

What do you like best?

It's very handy for text-based design work. There are many options for adding text-specific measurements like picas which really lends itself to layout more readily.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that I can't have as many readily-editable graphic features. The linking system is really handy for keeping the file size down, but it's not really as helpful since I like to have all my project pieces in one place as I work often on different computers.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This product is for text almost exclusively, be prepared to also invest in photoshop or some other graphics programs if there are more visual resources your design works with.

What business problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

We are solving menu setup for many different restaurants. We are often tasked with designing the menus to keep the look of the restaurants cohesive, and this program is effective in helping line up text most effectively.

Adobe InDesign review by Corey M.
Corey M.
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source

"A great publishing program that wonderfully integrates into the rest of the adobe suite"

What do you like best?

If you're familiar with other Adobe products, you'll feel incredibly comfortable using this program. The interface is simple enough, and the tools are intuitive and have similar behavior to illustrator and photoshop. The liquid layout feature is also amazing if you are designing for multiple platforms. Basically this feature allows you to create a logic to how your page will flow depending on if the screen size will change (going from phone to tablet for example)

What do you dislike?

As with all of Adobe's products, a monthly subscription is required to access the program. Also, the program is pretty much exclusively used for page layout. There are no photo editing tools. So, if that is what you need as well, your going to have to have access to photoshop or some other design application.

What business problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

I use indesign all the time for laying out brochures and complex, multi-page HR documents. It allows you to easily go back into the document and update content.

Adobe InDesign review by Jennifer S.
Jennifer S.
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source

"Good for intermediate to advanced desktop publishing"

What do you like best?

If you're creating an extensive company newsletter, an ebook for your product, a newspaper for your school, etc, this is likely the software that you need. It is a high-end desktop publishing product and was the standard back when I was working in newspapers. From what I've heard, it still is.

What do you dislike?

If you're working on smaller projects, you can spend a ton of time just getting things set up and ready for content. For smaller projects, unless you use InDesign a lot, I would recommend other desktop publishing software.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take some time to learn how to use the product, how to create your custom items that you can add to your library, etc well before you need to create your finished item. It's a very powerful product, but can also take some time to learn.

What business problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

I used this quite heavily back when I worked in newspapers - it was the software we used to create all of our newspaper layouts, insert content, etc and then send it to the publisher to be printed. If you're going to be working with a professional printer, this is a very good product to invest in, as it's made for exactly that. It will add all of the crop marks and other tools necessary for your products to be properly printed, cut, and finished. I also used this software a lot in college to create professional looking reports and other documents.

Adobe InDesign review by Claire G.
Claire G.
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source

"Best Document Design Software"

What do you like best?

Indesign is intuitive. I like the extra space on the board where you can leave elements you aren't sure if you want to use or not without putting them in the document. I like the level of customization - i.e. that you can change the color of the background of your workspace from light gray to dark gray. I love that you can drag and drop pages into any order you want (especially the option to disable "document shuffle") Another customization feature I find useful is the ability to set the increments of how much an element moves with each tap of the arrow keys (can move a lot or a smaller amount).

What do you dislike?

Sometimes when switching between monitors and laptop, the toolbar gets lost and is very hard to locate. On certain laptops (I have an HP at work) the space bar shortcut doesn't work when zooming the same way it works when hooked to a monitor and keyboard. I wish the spacebar worked all the time for that.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Indesign is by far the best - it's ruined even Microsoft Word for me!

What business problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

Designing training documents, one-pagers, white papers, etc.

Adobe InDesign review by Jenny W.
Jenny W.
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source

"Fantastic for text-heavy layout design"

What do you like best?

I like that I'm able to work with a lot of precision in this program. Because it's a design program and not just a word processor with a few preset design capabilities, you have complete control over the placement of your text and graphics.

What do you dislike?

I wish I could do more graphic manipulation directly in this program rather than relying on photoshop and illustrator. It would be nice if there was one mega product that combined all three programs for designers.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I highly recommend InDesign, especially if you are working with text-heavy layout designs. It plays well with Photoshop and Illustrator, allowing for instant updates to your design as you revise your linked files in the other design programs. And again, as with all Adobe products, it allows for total customization and precision.

What business problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

Again, we've been able to achieve total customization on our brochures, pamphlets and other print material. It's alleviated a lot of headaches and enabled us to create unique materials that fulfill our communication goals.

Adobe InDesign review by Jessica D.
Jessica D.
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source

"White Papers? Check!"

What do you like best?

If you work on white papers frequently, like I do, you know that if you want them to look good you need to move beyond Microsoft Word or Google Docs. InDesign is the perfect tool for text-heavy designs because it's designed specifically for editing print documents. It's got great typography and color tools and it's a breeze to make layout changes.

What do you dislike?

Now for the bad stuff... InDesign is frustrating sometimes because it breaks so many of the paradigms you're used to from Photoshop and Illustrator. While there are usually good reasons for these choices, it just feels unfamiliar enough that it can be frustrating to hit the wrong shortcuts and forget momentarily why something isn't working.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need to create white papers or other print documents, I strongly recommend giving InDesign a try.

What business problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

I use InDesign to create layouts for white papers and other "print" documents. It's a beautiful tool that helps me every day.

Adobe InDesign review by Maria M.
Maria M.
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source

"Great for Complicated Print Document Design"

What do you like best?

I work on a lot of complicated brochures and print designs with copy that goes through multiple stages of edits concurrent to the design process. InDesign is fantastic for this because it's designed specifically with print in mind. The tools to lay out text and preserve spacing and kerning even after significant copy edits are second to none!

What do you dislike?

InDesign would really benefit from better handling of exports from other Adobe tools. Adobe Bridge is completely inadequate for my needs and it takes too much time to properly import images in the right way.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have a simple print project, you can use just about any design tool to produce it. But if you expect multiple edits and changing copy, InDesign is the right tool for the job.

What business problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

Adobe InDesign makes complex print layouts a snap to create, edit, and maintain. It's the only tool that lets me get these types of project done on time.

Adobe InDesign review by Joshua J.
Joshua J.
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source

"Can't say enough good things about this product"

What do you like best?

There aren't enough positive words or expressions in the English language to describe the usefulness of Adobe InDesign. I have been using the program for nearly 5 years in media design, and I am still in awe of this interface. As far as all typography-based design needs go, nothing beats the creative capabilities of this program.

What do you dislike?

There is very little I can say about this program negatively. I wish the button for "Share to Behance" wasn't right next to "Export," as I am always clicking the former as opposed to the latter by mistake, but other than that InDesign is a nearly flawless program that I would be lost without.

What business problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

My company uses InDesign to lay out the pages of our daily publication. Due to its incredible capabilities and the option to integrate vjoon K4 collaboration right into the interface, our entire team (scattered around the country) is able to meet rigorous daily deadlines, all thanks to this program.

Adobe InDesign review by Noa B.
Noa B.
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source

"Best Product for portfolios!"

What do you like best?

How easy it is to create layouts and spreads the are organized. Also very easy to readjust the size of your drawing/photo in spread. I mostly use this product for architecture presentations and layouts, and I find that indesign is a lot more user friendly than other products on the market.

What do you dislike?

I wish that this project had more of the capabilities that Photoshop does. I wish I was able to draw more in Indesign. Otherwise there isn't a lot that I dislike about Indesign. I think it is a bit to expensive for students (as a complete adobe creative cloud package, which includes Photoshop and Illustrator as well) but for architects and architecture students it is a must!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Practice! Practice! Practice!

What business problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

I use indesign to show my work, and in my opinion it's a lot easy to use for formatting letters, reports, magazine spreads, etc. in a creative way than Microsoft word.

Adobe InDesign review by Mary M.
Mary M.
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source

"LOVE InDesign for Publishing"

What do you like best?

For print work, in my opinion, there is no other software that compares to InDesign. There is so much I can accomplish with ease. I can even scan in documents and prevent myself from having to spend all that time typing. I can add photos, graphs, columns - virtually anything needed to quickly write and prepare for print an article, a brochure,a menu and so much more.

What do you dislike?

I can't think of a single thing I dislike about InDesign. At one point in my career, I loved Pagemaker. InDesign took the place of Pagemaker and in no time I learned how and why.. In Design can do so much more than Pagemaker ever could. Given time, Pagemaker would've become more like InDesign, I feel sure.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Ease of use. I only said lack of support in that my InDesign has issues with crashing. Though I've sent multiple reports to Adobe, I've never received any information or backup as to what could be causing the problem.

What business problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

I sometimes dislike getting to all the choices of fonts I have the way InDesign is set up but overall, InDesign is a much easier piece of software to use for publishing, creating ads that simply require some text and pasting a photo. It is simple to use and produces a great deal of professionalism in one program.

Adobe InDesign review by Jonathan Lien H.
Jonathan Lien H.
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source

"Full-featured and fluid, InDesign is top of the line"

What do you like best?

Adobe InDesign is a very smooth, functional piece of software. It makes basic typesetting easy and getting your designs print-ready a breeze. It is almost invisible in its effortless usability. If I were not married to other Adobe products, the thought of trying an alternative to this software may have crossed my mind, but as it stands, I see no good reason to try anything different, because of InDesign's integration with Creative Cloud and, thus, with the bulk of my design work.

What do you dislike?

One of my primary beefs with InDesign, and keep in mind that this is a fairly minor issue, is that the integration with other Adobe products, while they are strongly integrated from a creative perspective through the Adobe Creative Cloud, there is some pesky inconsistencies between keyboard shortcuts and basic software behaviors with Photoshop and Illustrator. This is probably not a major issue for professionals who spending most of their time focusing on specific Adobe software products, it is annoying for a self-employed freelancer like myself who is constantly switching between Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign. Another thing I dislike, as I have mentioned in previous Adobe software reviews, is the high price of Adobe Creative Cloud software.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is extraordinary useful as part of a larger package, the Adobe Creative Cloud suite. If you have a need for this type of software, and already use Photoshop or Illustrator, I would highly recommend it, if you can afford it.

What business problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

Adobe InDesign, while perhaps not as "essential" as Photoshop, for example, is very useful in conjunction with other products in the Creative Cloud suite. It solves a inconvenience problem.

Adobe InDesign review by Michael L.
Michael L.
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source

"Editorial or multi-page projects"

What do you like best?

InDesign perfectly completes the triptych with Illustrator and Photoshop and is the software I use for creating graphic layouts, especially when I have to create magazines or catalogs, which obviously include the dummy and multiple pages. It works very well and allows both the creation of documents for printing and multimedia or ePub.

What do you dislike?

When amounting graphics from Illustrator, it is not easy to modify anchor points or shapes of graphics imported directly into InDesign, so sometimes I find myself forced to import graphics again. For the rest I think it's a great software that all designers should know.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Highly recommended especially for those who already use the other Adobe CC software, it is perfect for creating multi-page graphic documents or projects that provide precise layouts with interaction between texts and images. Excellent management of the pages panel and the swatches panel.

What business problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

I work with InDesign especially for the realization of multi-page brochures, catalogs, magazines and advertising material.Normally the projects that I create concern the printed paper, but in some cases I have made interactive pdf with insertion of slideshows or embed html, like videos from YouTube or Google Maps.

Adobe InDesign review by Matthew V.
Matthew V.
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source

"InDesign - my thoughts"

What do you like best?

I like the ability to create multiple pieces of content through InDesign - from designing brochures, pamphlets, infographics, At-A-Glances, Solution Overviews, etc. all from the same platform. Learning the basics of InDesign is pretty easy - you can learn about 75% of what you need to know within 10-15 mins through a tutorial on Lynda.com. The rest is somewhat easy to learn but practice makes perfect

What do you dislike?

Its really hard to create shapes - I have to create them in Illustrator, which is similar but completely different. For instance, if I want to create a quarter-circle, its almost impossible for me to do in InDesign but pretty easy to do in Illustrator. The other big thing that is frustrating is that I have to through Bridge to transfer shapes and other items from Illustrator to InDesign, so often times its time consuming and for sure difficult to learn yet another platform

Recommendations to others considering the product

Go to Lynda.com to learn the basic training of InDesign within 10 mins. Its definitely worth it and can help promote better, more effective pieces of content collateral for your marketing department

What business problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

I create marketing material and content through InDesign, such as short executive overviews called At-A-Glances and longer, more deep-dive material called Solution Overviews. I've also worked with InDesign to create basic infographics and more - all content related to marketing promotion materials

Adobe InDesign review by Alison F.
Alison F.
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source

"Smooth, Easy to Use"

What do you like best?

InDesign is, hands-down, the best Adobe product out there. When my team needs to design something, we turn to InDesign first. It's easy to use, and I've trained multiple people on how to use it with absolutely no training whatsoever. It's easy to create text that can be exportable to PDF form, preparing for printing, incorporating text with images, making captivating designs.

What do you dislike?

There isn't much I dislike - I've been using InDesign since it was introduced and it's developed nicely with each update. Very impressive program.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have staff or team members who have no experience in Adobe products, this is the program for them to start. I've trained multiple people who've never used in InDesign and they quickly learned Illustrator and Photoshop after using this. Great, simple program with big results.

What business problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

We are able to produce high-quality designs from the team with way less frustrations than with any other program. Our booklets and newsletters have taken on a much more professional feel.

Adobe InDesign review by Tiffany W.
Tiffany W.
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source

"InDesign for print and online page layouts"

What do you like best?

InDesign is the easiest (in my opinion) application out of all the Adobe software products. If you understand how print and online page layouts are structured and how to design them, InDesign is a piece of cake. It's great for anything you could dream of in the world of print and online page design.

What do you dislike?

It annoys me when the default measurement setting is not set to inches (I know, how American of me). This is an easy fix, but it gets me every time. The main thing I "dislike" is the price of InDesign. I also dislike that links often have to be packaged in a folder for an entire project when the file is transferred or opened on another device. If it's not packaged every single time – I lose my links. And while packaging it's annoying that I can't save a new file as the same name as an old file. I'm doing it on purpose because I want to replace an old file with an updated version. Instead, InDesign insists I choose a different file name. I'm sure there's better ways around this, I just haven't found one yet for myself that I find easy enough.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're looking for a software to design any type of print product or even a web page design, InDesign is for you.

What business problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

I use InDesign for newspaper design, magazine design, web design, posters, flyers, brochures, tickets, etc. Often times I'm using InDesign to recreate or put a twist on the designs for just about everything. InDesign is by far the best software I've used for this.

Adobe InDesign review by Carmine R.
Carmine R.
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source

"Layout for print and devices"

What do you like best?

InDesign is definitely the best software for creating graphic layouts and layouts, thanks also to the excellent compatibility with other Adobe software, such as Photoshop and Illustrator. It also allows you to create multimedia documents with the insertion of interactive objects or even html code.

What do you dislike?

It does not allow the creation of native applications for iPads and iPhones without the purchase of the Digital Publishing Suite and this feature could be implemented in the next updates. For the rest nothing to report.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Those who work in the editorial design must surely have InDesign because it is the most complete software in this field and can take advantage of simple copy / paste with elements made in Illustrator and perfectly manage multipage documents, such as books, catalogs and magazines.

What business problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

Use InDesign to create multi-page graphic documents, such as manuals, books, catalogs or magazines, both for printing and for creating interactive pdf or epub files, taking advantage of the excellent compatibility with Illustrator and Photoshop.

Adobe InDesign review by Danica K.
Danica K.
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source

"Seamless Design and Collaboration Across Platforms"

What do you like best?

When we used to use InDesign, it was seen simply as a tool for print publication. But we have recently discovered that now we are able to use InDesign for both large print products (books, magazines and travel guides) and responsive website design. Via usage of templates, we are able to design and customize layouts with easy editing abilities for print and digital products alike.

What do you dislike?

Some things we do not like about InDesign are that sometimes the program will slow dramatically when working on website design, with large files that have multiple pages with detailed layouts. Another issue that happens frequently is that certain apps will not update properly, such as InCopy, and need to be manually updated to work across the two Adobe programs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Know that you can use this product for website design layouts as well as print product layouts. When you test the limits of the products, as we have done, we have discovered many things we love about the functionality of this product in comparison to the other products in the Adobe Creative Suite.

What business problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

We use InDesign to create designs and layouts for destination magazines and sales and marketing collateral, and this year have been using it to create responsive website design for our clients. We have realized that even though InDesign was initially crafted as a tool for publication layout, it can be just as effective (and sometimes more so) to use on digital products than its sister program Photoshop.

Adobe InDesign review by Sharon H.
Sharon H.
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source

"InDesign is my go to software!"

What do you like best?

What's not to love?? I like the way it has become easier to maneuver around in PS, InDesign, and Illustrator all together when working on complex projects.

InDesign is my all time favorite software to work in as a designer. I love layout and print projects.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes I wish Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign were combined, but I really can't think of any dislikes in InDesign right now.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is the best software for layout design. It takes learning and practice, but InDesign is probably the easiest to learn in the Adobe collection.

What business problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

I work mostly with InDesign and Illustrator at work. InDesign is awesome for the many different kinds of print projects I do at work. I create everything from brochures to packages for our products and it has become much easier to work with both software programs at the same time.

Adobe InDesign review by Matthew S.
Matthew S.
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source

"Professional tool for digital and print publishing"

What do you like best?

Indesign is a fantastic tool for organising, arranging and presenting work. The software gives you a huge range of options for setting up documents and creating presentations using simple and professional ways of working. Work and documents are able to be created for digital and print formats, with options for interactivity /hyperlinks etc. Using other forms of Adobe software such as Photoshop and having experience of this type of software makes using and integrating with Indesign far easier.

What do you dislike?

If you are using Indesign for the first time, having not used another Adobe software, you may not find it easy to use. There are a wide range of options to undertake tasks and there is a benefit to having some basic training. One other frustrating thing is that the shortcuts for Indesign are different to Photoshop and also Illustrator. When work simultaneously between these software's this can lead to make small mistakes and having to redo things.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try a free trial to see how you feel. Also look at some basic tutorials to get you started if you have not used the software before

What business problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

Overall the software is effective at tackling publishing tasks and creating professional documents and presentations. As a business we use Indesign regularly to create documents and layouts to issue to and present to clients. A great tool is that when you update (resave) images / files placed (inserted) into the main Indesign document these will automatically update. This is very helpful for when you are updating a large number of images and you then do not have to replace these within the document.

Adobe InDesign review by Jeff L.
Jeff L.
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source

"A superlative product, in a sparse landscape."

What do you like best?

Classic Adobe interface. I know where everything is and don't waste time hunting for features. AdobeCC integration is stellar! Combining AdobeCC libraries with Adobe Stock has changed the way I resource collateral, speeding up my workflow beyond words. Being able to switch between light and dark themes, albeit trite, is fantastic when working in the bright lights of the office or late into the evening as the room darkens.

What do you dislike?

Indesign frustrates me when changing document layouts. I love the ability to create a new layout and resize the canvas, but I would like the option to adjust the spreads and switch layouts to include facing pages or not. Believe it or not, there are few things I think Adobe missed with its' current version of InDesign.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get it! I can't imagine how you would do any desktop publishing with another software. The integration with AdobeCC is outstanding!

What business problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

I primarily use InDesign to complete Information brochures for property listings; while incorporated with my CC libraries, I have found the workflow to be extremely quick. Adobe Stock integration has also sped up time in my workflow with simple drag and drop interface.

Adobe InDesign review by Connor B.
Connor B.
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source

"The best desktop/web publishing application available"

What do you like best?

Like most Adobe products, you have complete control and can customize almost every aspect of the software. It's very easy to customize multiple workspaces, the location of tools and windows, etc. In general, the controls are excellent and I have no complaints because you can literally modify anything to fit your liking. This is in sharp contrast to many of the other office/desktop applications, where multiple clicks are required to do a specific task.

The ability to copy and paste directly from Illustrator is great because you can edit vector shapes/objects right from InDesign.

Finally, I like being able to export files into almost any format. The export to PDF feature didn't always work in earlier releases, but they've since fixed the issue and it works without every crashing or freezing.

What do you dislike?

Since Adobe released the 2018 updates for its CC applications, where users could update to the latest version and keep an older version of the application on their device, InDesign's performance and stability has decayed significantly. If you opt to keep two versions of InDesign and use your saved preferences from the older version, the preferences will be corrupted and cause the program to be unable to save or export files after a period of time. The only workaround so far is to save in a different format, force quit, and restart.

This is very frustrating because it requires due diligence on the users part to periodically quit the application and restart it to avoid the error(s) that I mentioned above. I also do not like how InDesign frequently fails to load your default/custom workspace. Sometimes it will load, but most of the time you have to manually select it otherwise it just defaults to the "Essentials" theme. I suspect this is due to the preferences issue.

One other quirk that can be annoying is the "Edit Image in Photoshop" feature. After selecting this option for an image placed in InDesign, you're taken to Photoshop where you can make changes, etc., but after saving the image in Photoshop I found that it did not automatically update the version in InDesign. This is a cool feature that, in theory, saves time, but I find myself having to locate and re-add the saved image file back into InDesign.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I strongly recommend watching video tutorials before using. There are so many tools right out of the box, and you might not ever use 60% of them, so it helps to know where everything is, how to create basic documents, and then customize the layout based on your specific needs. I found that my productivity and confidence in my InDesign abilities increased after I completely customized the workspace.

What business problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

InDesign is my daily driver for creating and designing sales and marketing content. Complete customization and integration with other Adobe CC applications has enabled us to create better content that accurately reflects our company and brand.

Adobe InDesign review by sierra m.
sierra m.
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source

"Make layout easy "

What do you like best?

I like a lot about indesign, but its the best for layout design for any documents. Its also great for multiple page layout for magazines, books, ect. This program easily lets you get down to the smallest details within any document font spacing, paragraph set up and many more things. Its also awesome how easy it is to bring in images and pngs. Its also easy to set type around images.

What do you dislike?

I hate how hard it is to bring vector object over from illustrator its really hard to control them as in scaling them and making edits. Also scaling images can be difficult because it seems that the frames aren't connected to the images.2

Recommendations to others considering the product

Explore everything this software can do for you. There are tons of online classes to free tutorials on youtube. This program can take your documents from being boring to exciting and refine.

What business problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

It helps with all of our collateral and making templets for any documents my company may need. It makes my life a lot easier everyday and makes my work production fast.

Adobe InDesign review by Robert Z.
Robert Z.
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source

"Creation of books or magazines"

What do you like best?

InDesign is a software that allows you to create excellent multi-page layouts, especially for the creation of books or magazines, but also catalogs and advertising material. For some time, you can also export epub or interactive files, or create native apps thanks to the Digital Publishing Suite.

What do you dislike?

It is not very easy to use and has some features suitable only for real experts, in addition there are many competitors like Quark Xpress or iBook Author that allow you to make epub format files in a way I think a little easier.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Although it has several competitors, I personally prefer it for the excellent interaction with other Adobe software, such as Photoshop or Illustrator and above all because the results are professional. The only flaw is perhaps that it is not very immediate in use and some functions are complicated to understand.

What business problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

As mentioned above, I use it mostly for the layout of books, booklets, catalogs or magazines, but also for the creation of interactive pdf is an excellent tool to take into consideration, especially because it works very well with Illustrator or Photoshop.

Adobe InDesign review by Seth R.
Seth R.
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source

"Perfect For Small Businesses As Well As Large"

What do you like best?

Adobe Indesign is designed with the user in mind! It is smooth with little to no bugs. Even though I hate subscription based payments, the lower starting costs enabled me to get my children’s book out in to the open! It is extremely powerful and has no limits to the size of project.

What do you dislike?

There is not much to say here. The price is competitive and it is almost perfect. You can see Adobe trying to incorporate Photoshop by not having the RGB to CMYK image transformation—an essential element. I did end up using Photoshopfor this part of the project.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would try out the trial before diving in. Although it is well designed, there is a learning curve. It does help if you are already have experience with Gimp or Photoshop.

What business problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

I did a lot of research before I purchased Adobe Indesign. I was in the process of publishing my first children’s book and I didn’t need any sort of problems due to lack of research. I finally boiled it down to Indesign and started the free trial. With a little research here, and a little there, I worked the program and successfully published my first book without any mistakes! It is a program that I owe a lot to and I would certainly recommend it.

Adobe InDesign review by Andrew M.
Andrew M.
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source

"No Other MultiPage Publishing Software can do Better"

What do you like best?

The editing ability is superb, Quark has nothing on this multi page publishing software. It works very well with this other Adobe programs in its suite. Drop in different images and you can easily edit that image if you wish. Packaging your files for ease of transport for either backup or to give to a 3rd party is an excellent feature. Great to copy and paste paths and shapes from Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop as well as vice versa.

What do you dislike?

Don't like how you can't open any newer files, you'd literally would have to open the newer file with the latest version of InDesign and re-save. But even with that, it would only save back to the version directly before it. It's a smart move to keep the consumer updating but it's a pain if you're in a crunch.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Probably a no brainer, but Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop are excellent to know if you haven't already considered it. In fact, just get the suite with the essentials.

What business problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

Auto numbering makes ticket automation a simple task. Style sheets are a life saver which helps you keep consistent with all your work. Dropping in multiple photos onto a placeholder is an excellent feature as well.

Adobe InDesign review by Samuel D.
Samuel D.
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source

"A great tool for designers to show people what they are talking about."

What do you like best?

Simple to use for just about anyone to build an example of something to show to a team.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it will not load my presets, or things will crash if it is trying to use fonts and things that are not present on another computer you might be trying to load a file on.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Makes any form of printed media easier to make. From pamphlets to newspapers, this is what you should be using.

What business problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

We were using Qwork to design publication layouts, but my company wanted to switch to working with PCs instead of the macs we were working on. The switch actually was an easy one, and the program gave us way more options then we had before. Helped make our work flow much easier and gave more people the ability to implement things quickly.

Adobe InDesign review by Molly M.
Molly M.
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source

"The best program for advanced text layout "

What do you like best?

Indesign is my go-to program for formatting large amounts of text. It is an incredibly capable program and I think it has more features than I could ever dream of utilizing. My favorite feature is using Paragraph Styles and Character Styles to apply changes to lots of text at once. I also love the linked text boxes, and the new dark color scheme that came out somewhat recently.

What do you dislike?

In my opinion, creating work in Indesign takes me a lot longer than equivalent work in Illustrator. But it's absolutely necessary to use Indesign when working with large amounts of text.

--

For beginners, Indesign is a very daunting program and I imagine that some people give up on using it before they realize what it is capable of.

--

One small feature request I have is the ability to customize the details that show up in the "Info" section of the Links panel because that info takes up precious space and it's not all important to me.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Indesign has a steeper learning curve than other Adobe products, in my opinion. It can be intimidating. There is a useful blog called Indesign Secrets which has a lot of helpful information.

What business problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

Thanks to Indesign, I recently created a multi-page interactive booklet with a hyperlinked table of contents that bring you to that specific question, which I think is very neat.

Adobe InDesign review by Daniel W.
Daniel W.
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source

"I have been using InDesign for over 7 years and am a massive fan."

What do you like best?

When using indesign, I think that it is brilliant for laying out type and images. I also think it is great for planning out designs and putting together interesting layouts.

What do you dislike?

I am not a fan how it sometimes links images and you can lose an image. Also if you want to send a file you have to package it all up. It would be ideal if all the images were stored on the file.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think if you are starting out with inDesign, have a play around with layout and working with the text. You can do a lot with the layout of text and manipulating. It is also very good type hierarchy.

What business problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

At the minute I am designing proposals and booklets. it is very easy to bring in new images and links. It is also easy to use existing designs to re-create new pieces of work.

Adobe InDesign review by Brooke B.
Brooke B.
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source

"My Print Design Go-To"

What do you like best?

InDesign is my go-to solution for creating print designs because it's specifically geared towards this use case. It's great that the tool knows how to handle print layouts with text that's constantly changing (because the writers are re-writing it). It handles kerning and other typographic needs fantastically.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes InDesign can be a bit picky about ligatures, special characters, and other typographic edge cases. I hate having to use the special character menu instead of just copying and pasting things in. Otherwise, it's a really good program.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need to create and design print documents, Adobe InDesign is a good, solid choice. It will help keep your documents looking crisp even through multiple rounds of copy edits.

What business problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

I use Adobe InDesign to create print layouts like postcards, white papers, posters, and brochures. It's a much faster solution for these use-cases than Photoshop.

Adobe InDesign review by Nicole S.
Nicole S.
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source

"InDesign is extremely useful!"

What do you like best?

InDesign allows you to do pretty much anything you need it to. I use it for flyers, signage, invitations, and practically anything else I need for my position. The software allows me flexibility with my designs and I can use a wide range of pictures and vectors with the software. I use it pretty much weekly and I appreciate the preset designs also available for InDesign. It's never steered me wrong!

What do you dislike?

I dislike that when you move a file that is used in the program, the link becomes broken. I get that that's done to keep things running quickly but it is a tad inconvenient. I also dislike the lack of variance in templates available.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely consider InDesign for your design and publishing needs. Take the time to learn and understand how to use the software.

What business problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

I can customize and create my own event materials with InDesign, which saves money. I also can make signage the week of the event and create them on a whim, which I really appreciate being able to do!

Adobe InDesign review by Carlos Alberto S.
Carlos Alberto S.
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source

"Excellent tool for designing printable files"

What do you like best?

In conjunction with other Adobe tools, it is one of the most important tools in the repertoire of every graphic designer. It allows you to design printable files such as advertising posters or brochures in a very comfortable way. From my point of view, it's like an Illustrator to make much more professional and complicated projects (It's not always like that). It has an interface that is quite similar to that of Illustrator or Photoshop, so if you are a frequent user of Adobe tools, you will be able to familiarize yourself very easily with InDesign.

What do you dislike?

It is quite powerful so without a computer with specific requirements, the experience with this program can not be entirely good, since the amount of resources required is quite demanding. In addition to all this, it is not a program that offers a tool of tutorials or guides that help with the integration of new users to make your experience with InDesign is much more dynamic and friendly, but on the contrary, each user must be learning by itself each function or characteristic of the program.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For me it is one of the best tools that exist to make printable file designs, and although it is a bit expensive, I certainly say that it is too much worth trying, besides that on the adobe website the company offers a period of tests that I consider is enough to decide.

What business problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

It is one of the tools that has helped me the most in my current job, since with it I do most of my tasks as a graphic designer in the company, so the amount of advantages I get from using this program is quite broad, a of them is that with this tool I am much more comfortable doing the tasks since I am quite familiar with Adobe, which allows me to have a pretty good handling of their tools, plus the compatibility between them is quite good

Adobe InDesign review by Frederick F.
Frederick F.
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source

"InDesign Catalogs"

What do you like best?

The way you work with large amounts of copy is great. This program is also the best program to provide a good or catalog with a large amount of pages to export to a PDF for a printer. The Master pages allow you to keep formatting and design assets that will exist on all or almost all pages. Makes page numbering a breeze as well.

What do you dislike?

I really like to incorporate icons and vector graphics into my work. That is my biggest problem with InDesign, I would like to see some simple vector incorporation like color or pathfinder from illustrator and eventually just have full vector edibility in this program would be a dream.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Print Documents with a lot of pages? This is the one you need, especially if you are an Adobe user.

What business problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

At my company we do an annual catalogs of our product line. I use InDesign to layout the pages and design. This allows me to export too the printer very easily. I have tried to use illustrator with about 28 art-boards and the file size was insane. If you are looking to produce a document with a lot of pages in order in a book style this is the best program you can find.

Adobe InDesign review by sierra m.
sierra m.
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source

"Layout hero"

What do you like best?

I love how easy this program makes it to layout any kind of document, there are so many useful features. My favorite thing is being able to make a fill out document interactive, it can make life so much easier. You can also add buttons and check marks which I this is pretty cool.

What do you dislike?

There are so many setting and so many things you can do with this program which is great but that also means sometimes it can be hard to find exactly what you need. It also is definitely not somewhere you would use its pen tool, Im not sure why they even have one. I also think they could improve how vector items transferred from Ai look and scale inside of Id.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Yes, I definitely think anyone who does document layout or wants their pdfs to be interactive should use this program. It makes formatting paragraphs and images easy. There are also a ton of free tutorials if you ever get lost.

What business problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

This program makes it easier to layout flyers and collateral items I make for work. I love the facing pages it makes it so much easier when im doing book layout.

Adobe InDesign review by Eric S.
Eric S.
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source

"Novice"

What do you like best?

As a novice using InDesign, I thought that it had a pretty decent artboard and set up. Has a lot of great features packed into one program so I didn't have to switch between many programs to create my branding package. I was able to create brochures from InDesign, Flyers, and Editorials. I enjoy it's text-linking feature and text style sheets that I found myself fiddling with a lot so it was wonderful to have the convenience of the sheets. It has great little tools to also help with making sure everything is perfectly lined up, I like even the small details of being able to type "+.1in" in the the Control panels : X,Y,W & H section.

What do you dislike?

I felt as though the program was prone to running slowly unless on the view "Typical Display". It can't seem to handle high quality image layouts as well as it's counterpart Photoshop and Illustrator. While it's a great program I wish that it would run a little smoother when moving images around because I found myself getting frustrated and wanting to run back to Photoshop for it's ease in image arranging.

What business problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

I feel that I can efficiently create from one program if need be if I'm traveling and only have Indesign on my laptop instead of the whole suite. So I would say saving money here and there has helped the business.

Adobe InDesign review by Aubree J.
Aubree J.
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source

"Adobe Indesign"

What do you like best?

Indesign is so much more flexible with the arrangement of text and images compared to Word or Google Docs. There are also an unending amount of features and uses within Indesign. It's a great program for using to make posters, self-designed resumes, marketing material of any sort, creating books/magazines or anything publishing related, and much, much more. If there are certain styles and features that you use a lot when making files, then you can save those styles to reuse them easily for when you design a file the next time.

What do you dislike?

There is so much you can do in Indesign that it can be hard to find everything you can do. It takes time to get used to all its settings and features, just like any other program or software. Also, the key-shortcuts are different with some things compared to Illustrator and Photoshop. I am more used to some of the shortcuts with Ai and Ps, so switching over to Id can mess me up at first.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a great program for any design needs! If you are simply looking to write letters or notes, Indesign would work for that, but I would recommend just using Word or Google Docs. Indesign is meant for the graphic designers or publishers who need advanced settings and features to make flawless products. If you are designing portfolios or any kind of published work, Indesign is a great way to go! And there are tons of ways to get help in learning more about it when you start using it.

What business problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

I have used Indesign to create the new annual catalog for one of my jobs. I also use Id to create posters, brochures, and other fliers for both of my jobs.

I'm getting to learn more of the features that Id has to offer, which is helping my work flow go faster. Using the paragraph styles and character styles was a HUGE help for design the catalog this year!

Adobe InDesign review by Ruthy W.
Ruthy W.
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source

"InDesign Review"

What do you like best?

I love that this is an all-in-one program. You can do almost anything with it except edit pictures. When working on print layouts and design, there is only one software that is consistent between graphic design and printers and it's InDesign, it's essentially the language of print or even anything digital. InDesign has all of the basic to advanced features I need to create anything for clients.

What do you dislike?

I am still not a fan of the subscription base for Creative Cloud... yes it has been years, but I have experienced more bugs, shutdowns, and Creative Cloud down time then I have did simply purchasing the software. Having been created many years ago, the application feels old and in some ways might have too many features. Also, while I like all of the features, in a way, I also dislike it. There may be a faster way to do something, but you just haven't come across the feature or tool yet. You have to be patient and not let yourself get frustrated.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't be scared by how difficult it is to use at first! Once you learn it, you won't forget and it's a very helpful tool.

What business problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

InDesign is the standard for graphic print and even digital design and saves a huge amount of time when working with text layouts. Unlike Word or even Pages, InDesign is a more intuitive page layout program. I've used it for anything from large banners and posters to leaflets. Being able to use it with Photoshop or Illustrator makes it far more versatile as well. You also benefit from having control over your text and how it appears, which is something you don't truly have with Word or Pages.

Adobe InDesign review by Aaron H.
Aaron H.
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source

"Great program for word-y projects"

What do you like best?

The inclusion of other design elements beyond just word processing and layout along with the latter aspects make it a worthwhile program. Plus, once you get past the learning curve, it becomes incredibly intuitive to the point that after templates are made, a workflow can grow exponentially.

What do you dislike?

The learning curve is fairly steep. Once the initial beginner steps have been taken, it is hard to continue without guidance of some sort, be it online or in text(book). And when a mistake is made, they flow of an entire template or project can be completely wrecked to the point of needing to be restarted completely.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Learn as much about the program before starting a huge project, it will help if there are any question you have before you start. Also, don't be afraid to look up the issue if you come across one. It's better to ask for help than to try and possibly shoot your self in the foot at a later point that may not be recoverable from.

What business problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

Creating some sort of text-heavy layout/project: Magazines, Books, Lengthy flyers, (some) Infographics, and handfuls of advertisements. Using this program in conjuncture with Illustrator or Photoshop can help with the visual part of projects.

Adobe InDesign review by Nicole N.
Nicole N.
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source

"Page Layout at your FIngertips"

What do you like best?

I enjoy using this program for anything needing page layout - whether brochures, flyers, even book design is a breeze with this. As with all Adobe products, you are not limited to using only InDesign for your work - I've often taken text from InDesign, slid it into Illustrator, or Photoshop and have had no issues with compatibility. It's an excellent tool all around.

What do you dislike?

It's hard for to think of a thing I don't truly like about ID, but I would perhaps say that occasionally I have hiccups when I go from ID to Illustrator and Illustrator may not recognize the font I had used with no issue in ID. However I would say that's less a fault of ID and more a fault of the font compatibility with Illustrator. I'm able however to work around it without issue. If you also have never really used ID you may find there is something of a learning curve with it, but it's not too difficult to surmount.

Recommendations to others considering the product

While it may seem intimidating, especially if you are unfamiliar with Adobe products in general and have only ever used Word, this program will quickly win you over. It's a peach to work with and I've never been let down by it's versatility.

What business problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

Unlike Word or even Pages, InDesign is a more intuitive page layout program. I've used it for anything from posters to leaflets. Being able to use it with PS or Illustrator makes it far more versatile as well, especially with regards to any images embedded in the text. You also benefit from having supreme control over your text and how it appears, which is something you don't truly have, IMO, with Word or Pages.

Adobe InDesign review by Paul K.
Paul K.
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source

"InDesign is the Standard"

What do you like best?

When working on print layouts and design, there is only one software that is consistent between graphic design and printers and it's InDesign, it's essentially the language of print. InDesign has all of the advanced features I need to create dynamic layouts and print designs for clients. The best features are related to its ability to automatically adjust text layouts when the page design is changed.

What do you dislike?

Having been created many years ago, the application feels old and in some ways might have too many features. The application is also not consistent on macOS and can sometimes crash unexpectedly, causing all of my edits to be lost. InDesign also does not have robust version control for edits back and forth between clients.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider if you need the most powerful graphic design tool that is the standard, if not, there might be easier and more user-friendly applications available for your need.

What business problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

InDesign is the standard for graphic print design and saves an enormous amount of time when working with lengthy text layouts.

Adobe InDesign review by Kerianne O.
Kerianne O.
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source

"I use InDesign most often in my career"

What do you like best?

Absolutely love basically everything about this product, It's my favorite adobe product. Creating layouts for books, utilizing editing view versus preview, and exporting to PDF is all great.

What do you dislike?

The pages window has some bothersome features. I do not like the way you have to change a lot of hidden settings if you want to create a book with some odd pages out. Like I may want to create something with no cover, but just a back page. I understand adobe likes to help keep in mind the importance of connecting spreads, but there are times when I need to create something different and I just need certain pages.

A second issue I run into every once in a while is working with masks. I do wish the same functions on photoshop/illustrator applied with tools like masking. But masking in indesign is something I always have to look up how to do because I forget every time I need it. It's an odd way to create masks, and it sometime works/sometimes doesn't.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This product should be something every graphic designer should know best. it is worth the money to get the entire adobe creative suite, but I do think that the software sold on it's own is super expensive.

What business problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

As a designer, I use this everyday in my job. It's great for all things print and is so helpful/easy to use.

Adobe InDesign review by DANIELLE F.
DANIELLE F.
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source

"My favorite program to use for graphic design"

What do you like best?

I just like how easy it is to use. Maybe it's because I've used it for a few years but I find it the easiest to use out of Illustrator or Photoshop.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that files tend get damaged easily.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would create multiple backups of your files at different stages in case they go corrupt.

What business problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

Files tend to get damaged easily and I've spoken to Adobe about this a few times. They say that a lot of the time it is an image that is corrupting the file but I find that hard to believe. It is a huge inconvenience to have to rebuild a whole design file from scratch all while the program keeps crashing.

In terms of benefits, I am able to design beautiful flyers, graphics, and layouts for my company.

Adobe InDesign review by Heather H.
Heather H.
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source

"InDesign for Monthly Designs"

What do you like best?

I like the ease of integration with photoshop & illustrator. I like that I can have files linked or embedded. Linked files are perfect for monthly designs that are tweaked or have subscriber information/photos that need to be updated. By simply saving the new image at the right size the links automatically update upon request of opening the file.

What do you dislike?

I am still not a fan of the subscription base for Creative Cloud... yes it has been years, but I have experienced more bugs, shutdowns, and CC down time then I have did simply purchasing the software.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I absolutely recommend particularly if you need to integrate information, illustration and /or photos.

What business problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

I use InDesign for many projects, but the biggest problem it has solved is using layers to import and create a subscription based monthly design for professionals. I can keep information updated, designs customized/individualized and keep vendor information fresh and new each month.

Adobe InDesign review by Victoria L.
Victoria L.
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source

"Good desktop publishing software"

What do you like best?

I like that it is easy to use and it has a similar interface with all the other Adobe products. I like the Library feature that makes it easy to use elements like logos across the adobe tools as well as other graphics. The integration with Adobe Stock is amazing, it saves time while creating training materials.

What do you dislike?

The Table of Content is not really working well for me, I always have to update the links afterwards in pdf. The styling is a bit confusing as well. I also don't like the way the justifying feature works, it always makes my text smaller or bigger depending on the word'a length. I would appreciate if InDesign had some more advanced image editing feature so that i don't have to work in photoshop or illustrator. Adobe doesn't really make a lot of new updates thus the app doesn't seam to have a lot of new features for the last updates.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is really easy to use, it has an intuitive user interface.

What business problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

I use it to create user guides as well as some infographics for training purposes.

Adobe InDesign review by Raúl M.
Raúl M.
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source

"Best intuitive solution for digital or printed papers - Of all kind!"

What do you like best?

I like the fact that it has changed very little since I first started to use it: simple, intuitive, easy to use, but yet, with many great and powerful tools to create amazing papers of all king. I don't even need to try another software when it comes to design for printed or web formats, I'll go with Indesign all the way!

What do you dislike?

I can tell anything that I do not like of this software. It's very impressive in my opinion and it's what I recommend for everyone looking for a software for printed or web + text designs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're looking for a easy-to-use, yet powerful software to create papers or any other printed or web desings containing text (Presentations, Billboards, Social Ads, etc, etc!), be sure to buy and use, it is a must!

What business problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

Creating impressive printed or web format papers of all kinds. Even my CV / resumé was made with this awesome program. You can create presentations, CVs, letters, magazines, posters, billboards... virtually everything! It is great!

Adobe InDesign review by Marianne K.
Marianne K.
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source

"All types of print projects to digital publications"

What do you like best?

The program is very straightforward and simple, while I can do some complex document making that other programs cannot do. It is best for anything with graphic print projects. Since it is from Adobe, it is compatible with any other Adobe programs, such as Illustrator or Photoshop and it makes it easier to work with.

What do you dislike?

Every time you save, you have to package, in order to link all the images and files you used for the program. In order to not take so much space with the files, you have update those linked files every time you package. Once you get used to it, it is not a big deal but you just have to keep track of it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Seriously the best program out there in order to generate printing documents or digital publications.

What business problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

I use it for every print based documents with Indesign, including project presentation, boards, portfolio or brochure. Compared to people who use Microsoft programs like Powerpoint to make presentation board, it looks way more professional and it can generate the final board faster surprisingly.

Adobe InDesign review by Elise C.
Elise C.
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source

"Very Intuitive Design Software"

What do you like best?

This software is easy to pick up and use right away, without knowing every little nuance. As long as you know how to double click, you're ready to go. You can make a decent page layout using only the Type and Rectangle Tools. Of course, there is more to it but the rest can be learned as necessary.

What do you dislike?

There isn't much that I dislike about using Adobe InDesign. I'm very accustomed to using this software for my job and I think it's pretty easy to use.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think the subscription model of Adobe products is pretty expensive for an individual, but I think it's worth it for businesses to always have the latest updates as soon as they come out. The option to use any Adobe product with my Creative Cloud membership is nice, but I don't even use 90% of what is available for my job or for personal use. Illustrator and Photoshop are 2 great companion software for adding graphics or illustrations to your layouts.

What business problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

At my job, we are often building catalogs for print using InDesign. Usually at the end of the catalog, there will be an index, which is tedious to format with line after line of tabs, SKUs, and page numbers. I found that I could program Nested Paragraph Styles to go all the work for me in less than 5 minutes, which saved hours! The ability to use a Data Merge to link a lot of images at once is really useful and another time-saving device.

Adobe InDesign review by Heather R.
Heather R.
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source

"Favorite Adobe Product!"

What do you like best?

InDesign is by far my favorite Adobe product I've used. There are so many tools and so much you can do with it! InDesign in conjunction with Photoshop makes a great pair and allows you to design great work. I feel like there is always something new I learn in InDesign and I really enjoy what it has to offer. If you are creating any type of book, manual, pamphlet, etc, InDesign is the way to go. You can truly create professional work without being a professional.

What do you dislike?

While I like all of the features, in a way, I also dislike it. It can be tricky sometimes to learn everything InDesign has to offer. There may be a faster way to do something, but you just haven't come across the feature or tool yet. You have to be patient and not let yourself get frustrated.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Learning and sharpening your InDesign skills is a must if you want to be successful in using it. There is a lot to learn and if you put in the time, designing will be that much easier.

What business problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

InDesign has helped us in create more collateral and being able to edit current collateral. We no longer have to get someone else to do it. We can do it ourselves, which allows us to do it faster and correct the first time since we know what we are wanting changed. We have become more efficient in our content creation.

Adobe InDesign review by Alysha M.
Alysha M.
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source

"Perfect for Magazine & Catalog Design"

What do you like best?

The interface of InDesign is much like that of other Adobe products, and therefore, was very easy to learn. I love the ease of using paragraph styles and character styles to apply or change to text at any time with just 1 click. This is the perfect software for a multiple page project.

What do you dislike?

Some features are hard to find, and aren't where I would expect them to be. Sometimes the software randomly become very pixelated and randomly less pixelated. I have no control over this. Sometimes this forces me to save and close my document and reopen. There is a HUGE learning curve to this software. This has been one of the hardest softwares to master. There is just so much about this software that takes experience and necessity or reason to learn. There is an error in the programming when an image has a border and the border is set to inside. There is a hairline pixel of the image that shows up on the outside of the border.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I'm not set that this is the best software for multi-page design. I believe that there could be something easier to use, and not to mention cheaper.

What business problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

I'm able to produce consistent pages. The fluidity of the Adobe Creative Suite is phenomenal. I can easily copy a path from Adobe Illustrator and paste into any document. I can edit any image in Photoshop, save, and immediately see the updated image in InDesign. Having a suite of software has created unlimited possibilities as to what can be created.

Adobe InDesign review by Kevin W.
Kevin W.
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source

"Great Layout Program"

What do you like best?

I am able to use both on Mac and PC files from Indesign. I have customers that bring in different operating systems files. So I am able to open Mac and PC files on my PC and most of the time there is not a problem when converting them. Only problem is finding fonts that people have used.

What do you dislike?

Having to go look for fonts. They have made it easier because of their new font features, but if they use a different font then I have to track it down and install it. Need to be able to install the font from a master list.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Very strong program, to create professional looking pages. Works so much better than other software like Pages or Publisher.

What business problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

When I started working in the graphic design field over 28 years ago, we had to paste up and layout everything by hand, which took a lot longer that doing it today. Seems they keep adding features that keep making things easier to produce quality products

Adobe InDesign review by Glen T.
Glen T.
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source

"Its worth while having a poke around!"

What do you like best?

A fairly diverse software package that is starting to bridge the gap between print and digital desktop production in some interesting ways. For print the package is comprehensive and covers pretty much most things. In all honest its been a while since I used Quark because InDesign caught up a good few years back for what I needed to do, which covered all printed matter.

What do you dislike?

In terms of layout design the guide calculators are fairly uniform, ie width of page divided by number of columns. With Quark you could calculate variable column widths. Nothing you can't put in by hand its a feature missed if I was doing more book design.

The digital side of things are not quite as intuitive as the rest of the general controls but not too much of a problem once you become accustomed to them.

What business problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

Its worth having a look a bit deeper into work flows with adobe software. There has been a definite direction in trying to synchronise the packages so it is less effort to switch between programs. A little bit of conscious effort to ensure you have libraries setup correctly helps when work across platforms in different media

Adobe InDesign review by Matthew M.
Matthew M.
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source

"Best Print Design Application"

What do you like best?

I love the fact that you can collaborate with you team now with Adobe InCoppy CC. You can share Your cloud libraries to share a whole bunch of items for example: color palette shapes and graphics and even text. This is a great tool for any team who works remote.

What do you dislike?

Like most Adobe Products it takes time to learn if your coming from another software make sure you take some tutorials or watch some videos to help you out. There are alot of features to learn.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you open to learn more by picking up some videos and books to help you out.

What business problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

We are able to use Adobe Indesign to print all of our mailing ads and other various types of marketing in house. Faster production with this product and more support then most. You are able to find more information online about this products from other users.

Adobe InDesign review by Dorothy G.
Dorothy G.
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source

"Immense capabilities, but a learning curve!"

What do you like best?

I love that it's so customizable. No matter what you want to create, InDesign seems to be able to handle it. You can be extremely creative with your project and it allows for compatibility with other programs.

What do you dislike?

There is a high learning curve if it's a new program. You definitely need to spend some time with it and learning all of the capabilities. It can be overwhelming, but it's totally worth it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be patient and take your time learning the product. It's totally worth learning all of the capabilities eventually, but don't overwhelm yourself in the beginning. Learn what you can at your own pace.

What business problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

Designing our own flyers, banners, posters, etc. This is a cost savings since we don't need to seek outside help and pay the large fees for the services.

Adobe InDesign review by David S.
David S.
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source

"Hands down the best layout program in existance"

What do you like best?

I have been using Adobe InDesign for almost 8 years. I love just how easy it is to manage all of the content on a single document layout. It works seamlessly with all the Adobe Creative Suite products so I never have any issue with files. I often have to get documents print ready so love how easy it is to export in various formats and specifications. The Smart Guides are a God send! They make it really easy to know that everything is lined up just right.

What do you dislike?

I don't know if there is anything I really dislike about InDesign. Sometimes I have issues with InDesign not connecting properly to Adobe Typekit. This can be really annoying because I use a lot of Typekit fonts and when I can't connect, I don't have access to those fonts. This always tends to happen when I'm approaching a major deadline.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would absolutely recommend Adobe InDesign to anyone. If you are subscribed to the creative cloud, than its a no-brainer. If you are not subscribed to the Creative Cloud, than you probably should use a different software. There is probably very good software out there that is less expensive. Price is going to be the big decision maker here. If your company is paying for your subscription, or if you have a business that can support the full subscription, then it makes sense. I don't think it makes sense for a hobbyist to pay the high price for it.

What business problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

I use this for almost all of our corporate marketing material. Flyers, catalogs, instruction sheets, sell sheets, etc. Because I have been using it for so long, it has become really easy for me to lay out a document and make it look stunning with a very smooth workflow. It saves me time, energy, and aggravations.

Adobe InDesign review by Alexandra J.
Alexandra J.
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source

"InDesign for Professional Publishing"

What do you like best?

As with all Adobe programs, I enjoy the interface and have found it fairly intuitive to use. The current integration with Adobe CC libraries has been very helpful for me, as I tend to jump back and forth from creating icons and illustrations in Illustrator, editing images in Photoshop, and laying them out in InDesign. I've also taken advantage of the template options provided by Adobe, which have made designing in the correct size even easier. The features are already fairly robust!

What do you dislike?

I wish there was more flexibility in terms of vector and layout options than there is currently. I also would like to see more integration with Photoshop, in the way that Illustrator is integrated. There have been slow and steady upgrades, but I think Adobe can push the capabilities of InDesign even further! And of course, the subscription can be pricey but if you lay out pages and documents regularly then it truly is essential and well worth the money.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I have a coworker who tries to do all of her design work in InDesign, including website wireframes and digital ads, etc and it drives the rest of the team insane. InDesign works so incredibly well for what it was designed for--designing and publishing documents. It does not work well for digital/web projects, those should ideally be created in Photoshop so please spare your teams and don't use InDesign for sites and digital applications!

What business problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

InDesign is great for laying out PDFs, ads, sell sheets, white papers, and presentations for clients, which is mainly what I use it for. I have used it to make our collateral even better through the use of interactive PDFs, allowing for a better client experience with hyperlinks, embedded audio/video, and the ability to easily publish online for quicker shareability.

Adobe InDesign review by Julieanne M.
Julieanne M.
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source

"Great for creating forms and marketing booklets"

What do you like best?

I like the seamless integration between all adobe programs. If I add a vector I created in illustrator into the indesign doc and end up making some changes to it in illustrator, all I have to do is save it in illustrator and it automatically updates in indesign.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I dislike about Indesign is when I'm working on a content heavy project, all of my media looks so pixelated. I know it has to downgrade the quality so the program doesn't run slow, but I just hate that pixelated look.

I know I mentioned about the seamless integration with illustrator, but it would be nice to have that convenience of making complex vector art work in indesign directly instead of have to switch back and forth.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're familiar with adobe products, this will be easy to use. Even if you're not familiar with their software, the tools and capabilities of indesign will be easy to learn if you put the time in.

What business problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

Being able to create quick marketing material and branding booklets that are ready to print. This software is so easy to use and more intelligent with it's capabilities that what you can get with other publishing tools available. Along with the ready for print option, it's also very easy to make your project available

in digital format as well.

The benefits that I have realized with this product is the seamless integration it has with all of the other adobe products I use.

Adobe InDesign review by Serena S.
Serena S.
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source

"InDesign is an Essential"

What do you like best?

The character and paragraph styles are a lifesaver in InDesign. When a client decides they don't like a headline color for a 100 page handbook, it only takes 5 seconds to change all of them instead of the hours it would take to change them one-by-one.

What do you dislike?

How InDesign renders imagery or PDFs that you pull in when they are too large. I find myself second guessing the quality of the image I am using and always export the document to double check that it is press quality.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Download the free trial from Adobe and test out the platform before you decide to purchase. Also, definitely go with the Creative Cloud instead of purchasing the product outright. Yes, it is a continual monthly charge, but the frequent updates make it worth it. Also, there are several other benefits when purchasing a Creative Cloud membership.

What business problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

Creating handbooks, brochures, and booklets is so much easier when using InDesign. Those projects would not even be worth the hassle if we had to use a different platform.

Adobe InDesign review by Ariel B.
Ariel B.
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source

"Great for Beginners - Lots of potential"

What do you like best?

I love that all the Adobe products like Indesign, Photoshop, Illustrator are very similar in their set up. If you're familiar at all with other products, you'll be able to transition to Indesign easily. Indesign is actually probably the easiest program to use, so that's what I would recommend starting with. It's easy to make anything you want to print out, like in-store signage, marketing materials, or even your own christmas card. It's easy to export things to a PDF and share with my friends who don't have Indesign.

What do you dislike?

I dislike how when I connect a second monitor, that sometimes the Indesign window moves itself into a position that it's impossible to access certain buttons. It's hard to explain, but the whole window moves so that the whole top navigation is past the viewable/clickable area. I'm unable to select the window so that I can drag it back into place. I have to disconnect my monitor or completely shut it off. I am also not a fan of their subscription program, I preferred Indesign when I could buy a license and not have to continue paying for it each month. There really aren't any other options with this high standard of software though, so I just have to deal with it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are a beginner there is definitely a learning curve. You will need to dedicate some time to learning the system, but if you want to be able to use any graphic design software, you'll have to do that anyway. It's the most accepted software for this type of design, so it's pretty universal.

What business problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

We're able to make standard templates look much more professional with Indesign. I can make business cards and easily tweak them for new employees on my own without having to pay a graphic designer.

Adobe InDesign review by Annie K.
Annie K.
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source

"Go-to software for page layout"

What do you like best?

Adobe InDesign is the default software for multi-page layouts and design. I have been in the industry for 10+ years, and there is nothing that comes close. Easily format pages of text through character and paragraph styles. You can then edit the styles and it automatically applies to everything you've defined. Link images, graphics, illustrations, seamlessly. When you update the "linked" elements, it automatically prompts you to update them in your InDesign document.

What do you dislike?

InDesign can be very picky when it comes to application versions. You cannot easily open documents created in newer versions. There are work-arounds, however, you can have the original document creator save the files down as .idml files, but occasionally some formatting is messed up during the process.

Sometimes InDesign can be quirky, and unexpectedly quits, however the auto-save function is wonderful.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Look no further. InDesign is the industry standard for page layout.

What business problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

Creating layouts in anything but InDesign will end up costing your business more money. You can streamline your process significantly through InDesign. Also, with every update they have a great "what's new" pop up that saves time on having to hunt for the new features. They provide easy to understand quick tips and videos.

Adobe InDesign review by Kim B.
Kim B.
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source

"Easy Desktop Publishing at Your Fingertips!"

What do you like best?

Whether you are creating posters, brochures or text books, Adobe InDesign makes it easy to design. By using paragraph and character styles, formatting becomes a breeze. Headers as well as bold and italic text can be coded so all you will need to do is select text to be formatted and then click a numeral on the keypad to apply. Saves tons of time. This also allows easy formatting changes throughout the document. Simply adjust a font size in a style and it will apply this change to all coded text throughout the document.

What do you dislike?

Unlike PhotoShop, nothing is embedded in InDesign. In order to send files to press, the document must be packaged and links and font folders must be sent to press as well as the INDD document.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do it. You will not regret it.

What business problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

Adobe InDesign is my go to software when designing a project that will go to press. It allows me to design and edit projects easily and efficiently which saves time and money. Its table creating tools have been very helpful. The capability to precisely measure and place objects as well as flow text from one page to another allows for a stress-free work environment.

Adobe InDesign review by Justin H.
Justin H.
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source

"Great for print"

What do you like best?

I really like their print set up and settings. It is definitely industry standard for all print documents. If I created a vector or image within photoshop or illustrator, I always bring it back into indesign for the final print set up. Masks are an extremely easy tool to use for creating photo boxes and adjusting the placement of photos within the boxes. Masks are not something unique to InDesign, but I am sure glad they felt it was needed!

What do you dislike?

All of adobe's programs are starting to merge together, but until that time, I wish indesign had more tools for image manipulation like photoshop or had larger art-boards like illustrator. Linking images or changing source folders sometimes take a lot longer than I'd like. This could very well have to do with the processing power of my computer & the quantity of imagery that needs updating.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It might be a little bit of a learning curve coming from photoshop, but the tools are very similar and you will never want to use another program to create books or editorial layouts again!

What business problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

Sending print ready files to a printer is seamless while using Adobe inDesign. Many times, if a pdf is not exporting properly, the printer even accepts the actual design file.

Adobe InDesign review by Stefanie C.
Stefanie C.
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source

"Good for publications"

What do you like best?

InDesign has unique features that let you easily change entire portions of your publication within seconds. The shortcut feature is brilliant and time-saving. The ability to add color palettes and fonts for projects is really neat. You still get to enjoy the cloud library and it functions much like Adobe Illustrator.

What do you dislike?

While it functions in most ways like Adobe Illustrator, I find Illustrator much easier to use. The navigation in InDesign can be tricky. It's sometimes hard to do certain things that take no time in Illustrator. I don't find it useful for anything other than publications.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I always recommend anyone who has no formal training in Adobe software to watch a few tutorial videos on YouTube. Adobe products are not difficult to use but can be extremely tedious for novice users. Do yourself a favor, avoid a headache and watch some videos and follow along (don't pay there are tons of free tutorials out there)

What business problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

Ability to create print-ready publications without having to purchase another software. The Adobe Suite contains everything you would need for web/print content.

Adobe InDesign review by Peter T. S.
Peter T. S.
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source

"Great software for print design projects"

What do you like best?

I love the versatility of this software. I can create everything from a business card to laying out of a large book and everything in between. In particular I really enjoy the ability to setup the document before starting a project. To be able to set the size, margins, bleed, pages, etc. before I even start designing really helps when starting a project. I also enjoy the ability to link text boxes from one page to the next, which allows you to simply create the text boxes on each page and then you can simply copy and paste the text with ease.

What do you dislike?

I think the one thing that can be a bit annoying is that you have to make sure that any photos, graphics, logos, et.c that you insert into your project are properly linked. Be sure to also send those images along with the inDesign file otherwise the person will not be able to see the file. Additionally, if you move the inDesign file or the images to another folder or location on your computer this can also create an issue and break the link of the image.

Recommendations to others considering the product

My biggest recommendation would be to make sure you have all of the specs (ie size, margin size, bleed size, page number, etc.) for your project before you begin. Being able to set all of this up before you start the project really gets you off on the right foot.

What business problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

This software gives me the ability to great a wide array of print media projects for my clients. I especially use inDesign for business cards, letterhead, and various print ad products for my clients.

Adobe InDesign review by Sharon M.
Sharon M.
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source

"Pretty much the design standard for layout. "

What do you like best?

It's an Adobe product, so it works seamlessly with other Adobe products, so when you update art in another CS product, it alerts you to the change and updates. You can also place native Illustrator or Photoshop files in, saving the need for conversion. It's versatile, I've used it to layout anything from a small brochure to 200 page books. It's fairly easy to prep and package files for a printer, or save for web.

What do you dislike?

I work on a PC, and I sometimes have trouble when working with someone cross platform on a Mac. It's gotten better, but it's not perfect.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There is really no comparison to InDesign - there are a couple of Open Source products, but if you are a designer in the industry, this is the standard, and it will be a challenge to work with clients without it. The subscription model makes it an easier pill to swallow; though a part of me is concerned about future price hikes and control issues.

What business problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

I use it mainly for print materials - brochures, newsletters, magazines, catalogs and books, and 1-2 clients have wanted to use it for web layouts (I usually code/design in Dreamweaver, but this client has a coder on staff, but not a designer). Working on web pages, I've realized how versatile of a product Indesign is. I've used InDesign before it was even Indesign (it was a spinoff of the old Aldus PageMaker) - and I've seen it evolve into a powerhouse product.

Adobe InDesign review by Martina Z.
Martina Z.
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source

"Most efficient writing/publishing software I have used to date"

What do you like best?

Once I got used to all the features, I cannot do without the paragraph styles anymore. All the publications are consistent, and for every project, I am using specific styles that never get mixed up. I also love how simple it is to use it together with other Adobe software and the quality of prints I can generate.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing I dislike about Adobe InDesign. For my use, I am delighted with all the functions and the ease of use.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Would highly recommend to use it for any publishing and text-writing work as this will make one get used to it faster and not get confused with functions of other software.

What business problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

I use it to prepare publications for digital publishing as well as print. The workflow is great, any adjustments and corrections to the text or images can be done really quickly and getting the work done is a lot faster than with other commonly used similar software.

Adobe InDesign review by Spencer M.
Spencer M.
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source

"InDesign makes word processors frustrating"

What do you like best?

The learning curve on InDesign is steeper than a typical word processor like Microsoft Word, but it makes doing even simple layouts so much quicker and less frustrating.

- Being able to define, apply, and then update paragraph & character styles throughout one document is very powerful.

- Likewise, creating frames to bound text & images is very powerful.

- Master pages are also very powerful.

What do you dislike?

- Wish InDesign had a more tools for working with vectors.

- Also I wish there were more options for printing, for example printing irregular sized documents onto letter or legal paper.

- Not 100% stable.

- Creative Cloud is expensive and includes a lot of software and bloat I don't use.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Unfortunately Creative Cloud is expensive. Yet InDesign is maybe (along with Photoshop) the one piece of Adobe I've still found to be irreplaceable.

What business problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

Everything from on-brand manuals to making brainstorming cards.

Adobe InDesign review by Ray B.
Ray B.
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source

"Great program for almost anything!"

What do you like best?

I personally believe that Adobe InDesign is an all around program that suits almost any needs I have. It is great for brochures, posters, magazines, newspapers, and more as it has all the great essentials and tools from both Illustrator and Photoshop on one interface.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing I particularly dislike about Adobe InDesign, it seems to do the job well for me and I only look forward to any improvements to come!

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are unsure of which program to use for your work, then InDesign is a great start as it features all the tools and essentials you need to get started when it comes to making your business succeed, from brochures, magazines, business cards, and more.

What business problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

I have been able to create many projects from brochures to magazines all with just InDesign. The interface is easy to navigate and all the tools are accessible with ease. Everything functions the same as with other Adobe programs which is a plus.

Adobe InDesign review by Mario R.
Mario R.
Validated Reviewer
Verified Current User
Review Source

"The best tool to create printables"

What do you like best?

From my point of view, it is an excellent tool for creating files to print (Flyers, books, posters, etc) regardless of its size, it has a fairly simple interface to use. It is one of the most important design tools for every graphic designer.

What do you dislike?

Although the program has a series of "tutorials", they only teach you the most basic, so there are countless functions that you discover as you use the tool, sometimes it can take a long time to masterize it. One of its largest, like ALL tools offered by Adobe, is the price of its subscription, since it is not proportional to the duration of the same, as well as not having a long-term duration, but the renewal It is almost monthly, making it a rather expensive tool with the passage of time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is on of the more useful tool that a graphic designer can have, if you're starting in this world, you should know that InDesign is, together with Illustrator and Photoshop, one of the tools that will most help you develop in the world of graphic design, since many of the tasks or jobs that you will have to do require the implementation of this program.

What business problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?

It is one of the main tools I use in my work, because with it I do everything that has to do with posters, flyers, advertising and all kinds of printables, allowing me to make such projects in a more comfortable and less tedious way.