Adobe RoboHelp

Adobe RoboHelp 11 software empowers you to deliver differentiated content for different screens using multiscreen HTML5. Generate stunning responsive HTML5 output with a single click, even for legacy projects, or publish content in EPUB 3, KF8, and MOBI formats.

Work for Adobe RoboHelp?

Learning about Adobe RoboHelp?

Adobe RoboHelp Reviews

Showing 17 Adobe RoboHelp reviews
Adobe RoboHelp review by <span>Varun S.</span>
Varun S.

Robohelp is a real help for Help documents!

What do you like best?

It's HTML5 layout, ability to use CSS and XML scripts. Using Robohelp server to checkout a project and make changes so others can see an updated copy.

What do you dislike?

Editing documents can sometimes be a pain as text might be embedded in images and it is difficult to edit.

Robohelp support should be better.

It helps write help manuals, gives me a capability to use my CSS or XML files for better GUI.

The Technical communication suite of Adobe with framemaker, captivate, presenter and Robohelp is a nice package for technical writers. I can integrate FrameMaker with RoboHelp in such a manner that the FrameMaker file can act as source files for RoboHelp WebHelp files. This is good!

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Adobe RoboHelp
Adobe RoboHelp review by <span>Brian D.</span>
Brian D.

Unhappy with Adobe Robohelp 11

What do you like best?

It allows you to do most of the common things one would want in a help system

What do you dislike?

The application is very non-intuitive. The more I use Robohelp, the more it becomes apparent that the designers of it don't use it themselves, otherwise they would have improved the interface a long time ago. It is very frustrating to me to try to use to do something as simple as resolving broken links and an hour later I am still trying to figure out how to resolve some links. It is absurd the hoops I have to jump through to do something a simple as this. And the Help for Adobe Robohelp ironically leaves a lot to be desired, with only text and no graphics showing screenshots of the User interface. I have seen a pattern in Adobe software of things I don't like, but Adobe Robohelp has to be the worst Adobe product I have used to date.

We use it to create a help system for our flagship product. It allows me to do almost everything I would want to do, but sometimes with great difficulty and frustration. The user interface leaves a lot to be desired.

What Help Authoring Tool (HAT) solution do you use?

Adobe RoboHelp review by <span>Tracey S.</span>
Tracey S.

Great Responsive Design for Help Systems

What do you like best?

We have been using RoboHelp for years at our software company. We use it to produce WebHelp, Eclipse Help, and Responsive Design web help. We also create contextual help with it for one of our software products. We currently use RoboHelp 11 and are very pleased with it. It is our main - go to tool for producing help systems for our software products. The newer Responsive Design feature is awesome. You don't even have to enter Viewport sizes or redesign for each Viewport size. It flawlessly redesigns the screen for whatever size of Viewport it is. (I wish Adobe's Captivate did that!)

What do you dislike?

One thing we cannot do with Adobe RoboHelp 11 is to do contextual help in a Responsive Design. We still haven't seen this feature in RoboHelp or RoboHelp 2015. We are still waiting on Adobe to put this feature into their product.

Recommendations to others considering the product

We prefer Adobe RoboHelp over some of the new DITA tools we've tried. They are very cumbersome and difficult to use. Just about anything or any reason you would want a DITA tool is addressed in Adobe RoboHelp. You can reuse blocks of text as snippets and you can do conditional build tags to product one help system in many different ways. We currently buy the stand alone product with regular pricing but we will consider their subscription pricing in the future so that we always have the most up-to-date version of RoboHelp.

We strive to product the best, easiest to navigate, most complete, and easiest to use software help systems to put into our software products. If customers can find the information they want and need, they will be happier with our software products. If they are happy with our products, they will be more likely to buy other products from us. Adobe RoboHelp assists us in providing first class quality help systems that are easy to navigate and now we can even give customers responsive design so that they can view help systems on any of their devices (mobile or not).

Adobe RoboHelp review by <span>Karl S.</span>
Karl S.

Great for producing online help

What do you like best?

Converts existing FrameMaker documentation into various online help formats. I use WebHelp (combination of HTML and Java) that runs from within a graphical application. There are a number of other formats supported as well.

The online search is excellent and context sensitive. It ranks search hits on relevance, and is pretty accurate.

What do you dislike?

It requires a bit of manual format mapping that is not intuitive and takes a while to debug.

This is not an intuitive product, but in fairness it is a powerful tool and it likely would be hard to make something this complicated much easier. Still, it has a learning curve, and helps to know someone who has used the product.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is closely integrated with FrameMaker, so if you use that as an authoring tool, this is as seamless as you are going to find to the best of my knowledge.

Creating dynamic online help with search and hypertext links.

This provides our customers a superior experience when they are learning to use our products.

Adobe RoboHelp review by <span>Nancy C.</span>
Nancy C.

Excellent new features make authoring faster and mobile

What do you like best?

Dynamic Filtering is my favorite feature of RoboHelp (2015 Release), saving many hours and effort of authoring time, as well as providing a great experience for the user. Dynamic filters allow users to narrow down the topics to be displayed in the Table of Contents similar to how they can narrow down which shirt to buy on a clothing web site by size or color. For example, say you have a help app for explaining tips on being productive. The user might want to see just tips relating to their Headquarters Office (HQ) location and just relating to Managers. By clicking both these boxes and then viewing the Table of Contents, they will only see tips for HQ Managers.

This feature makes use of the conditional build tags that current authors are familiar with. If I were to accomplish this in the prior release, I would have had to use conditional tags with multiple outputs, or perhaps had several books in the table of contents with what I thought the relevant content would be, or would have had to use the WebHelp output in order to use content categories, or perhaps some other solution. None of those solutions would accommodate all the possible outcomes that the user might want and would have resulted in possibly many outputs, which means more publishing time and effort on my part, which is not desirable. Now, I can have one simple table of contents and the users can click the Filter icon and decide real-time what they want to see! It’s fantastic.

Filters are quite flexible. In addition, you can hide the filters if you don’t want this feature to display, set a default filter selection, and allow multiple selections or only one selection. Note that this feature is in the new Responsive Design Layout, which brings me to the next favorite.

What do you dislike?

It creates documents instead of pages in SharePoint when you integrate with SharePoint. This prevents the user from seeing the changes in the SharePoint page history screen. This may not be important but is just something I've noticed and would have liked to seen handled a different way. You can view track changes via MS Word, so there are ways around that, which may or may not be better depending upon your personal opinion.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This product is good for people to pick up quickly, as it looks like MS Word. If you are a full-time technical writer, you can do some more sophisticated things. As a fairly simple trainer/writer who uses this on and off, I like the ease of the product. I don't have a need to generate anything xml or to see code in an xml format, so can't comment on that. I do like that It integrates with SharePoint which could be useful depending on what you are trying to do. The RoboHelp search might be better than the SharePoint search; the question is which search you want to use and does it matter which you use.

I want to publish information quickly, easily and nice looking for the end user. I use SharePoint but SharePoint is clunky when it comes to a lot of content. Using RoboHelp and publishing to SharePoint is a big help. The mobile app and ebook features are other ways to accomplish this. Filtering will also solve the problem of having to generate multiple outputs for different sets of content, and the Responsive Design layouts also solve the need for multiple outputs, which in the past took time to generate and manage. Now, it's much simpler.

Adobe RoboHelp review by <span>Bill H.</span>
Bill H.

RoboHelp Is Pretty Good

What do you like best?

+ Many companies have RoboHelp, know it, and use it. If you have a problem or question about it, you can probably find someone who can help you.

+ RoboHelp is a pretty stable, mature tool. Adobe does a good job of maintaining it.

+ Among the world of help authoring tools, RoboHelp is fairly easy to learn and use (though I would not say it is trivial).

TIP: If you choose it, consider investing in formal training--ideally in-person classroom training if your management will approve it.

What do you dislike?

- I don't find it as feature-rich and flexible as some other help authoring tools.

- I don't find it well-documented. It was hard for me to find good, comprehensive user manuals for it. Best way to get these is to enroll in formal training. (Refer to my tip above.)

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are new to RoboHelp, try your best to get your management to send you to formal classroom training in it. Ideally, play with it a little before you attend the training.

I am providing user documentation for land mobile radio system programming software. I revised a help system that enables users to take full advantage of the latest release's new features.

Learning about Adobe RoboHelp?

* We monitor all Adobe RoboHelp reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.