Affinity Designer

Vector drawing and illustration for OS X

Work for Affinity Designer?

Learning about Affinity Designer?

Affinity Designer Reviews

Request More Information
Showing 58 Affinity Designer reviews
Affinity Designer review by <span>Devin G.</span>
Devin G.

This is a great replacement for Adobe Illustrator

What do you like best?

What I like best about this program is the fact that the workflow (like Affinity Photo) is very awesome. It's a learning curve, but once you get it, it's all muscle memory. The amazing thing about this plugin as well is that you can open Illustrator files in tact and edit them seamlessly with the plugin. The selection system of the program is very easy to use and not as direct as Illustrator. It allows you to select elements more easily with click drag functions. Another thing I love about Affinity Designer is the pathfinder functions and the easy font kerning hotkeys it has. It makes things a lot easier to adjust in the long run

What do you dislike?

The only thing I say that I dislike about this program is that it's sometimes freezes first when you open. I have a very stable OS and plenty of RAM to run it, but for some reason, it freezes on open. I don't mind it much since after the first few mins of working on a file, it goes away. Serif is actively working on this issue as well too so don't let that be a drawback to install the program. I'm running WIndows too and the Windows port is Fairly new

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take your time and learn the program. They have a book on how to do things in Affinity so if all else fails, grab that. It's not free but worth the purchase

I use this program to create all my Icons, Graphic art, and many other things personally. The main thing that I use this program for is for clients. The logos are up to par with Illustrator as well

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Affinity Designer
Affinity Designer review by <span>Alexandru D.</span>
Alexandru D.

The best replacement for Adobe Illustrator

What do you like best?

I like that there was almost no learning curve while switching from Adobe software. Pricing is affordable and I love that there is no subscription based. I love it. It works as you expect, it has all the features that vector and graphic works requires. It has also artboards. Synced with iCloud. I love that the interface is customisable on a deep level.

What do you dislike?

The conversion from AI when importing, sometimes (!), does not import, but it is not an issue I cannot work without it. There is no major issue while working with Affinity or something that can hold you switching from Adobe or other vectorial software.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try the app, you won't regret. It is so easy to switch from Adobe.

All vector design, prepress and graphic editing is done used with Affinity. I am working almost 2 years with the app, it works fantastic. Exporting is really great, all formats are available. RGB/CMYK. It has profiles to save when exporting. All the marketing materials for my agency, clients and extra projects are done with Affinity. Exporting for printing and PDF compatibility is what printing houses expect.

What Vector Graphics solution do you use?

Affinity Designer review by <span>Nick D.</span>
Nick D.

A Home Run From Serif, Affinity Designer Blew My Expectations Out of the Water.

What do you like best?

I bought this software after using Adobe Illustrator for about three years. Prior to switching to Illustrator, I had used Serif vector design products (Drawplus SE Pro and Drawplus X4) which offered very basic functionality in comparison.

I bought Affinity Design expecting a tradeoff, no monthly subscription fees, for reduced options.

I was expecting Affinity Designer to be an evolved version of DrawPlus X4, and after buying the software it quickly became apparent that this is not the case. I honestly feel that in several areas, Affinity Designer is actually BETTER that illustrator, the UI is well laid out and very user friendly and although there are differences, no anyone will experience in Illustrator will pick up Affinity Designer very quickly and without much effort.

What do you dislike?

The fact that I did not ditch my Illustrator subscription earlier and buy this awesome software when it came out.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This software is perfect for small agencies, and at the price of under two months Illustrator CC subs, it offers exceptional value for money.

I get the same benefits as I did from my Illustrator CC subscription for a one of cost of less than two months subscription fees.

Affinity Designer review by <span>William W.</span>
William W.

Really impressive

What do you like best?

Basically this design app does absolutely everything I need and a whole lot more. Loads of very powerful tools for designing websites and producing mockups. Support for multiple artboards and the different persona's offer a very well organised way of working.

What do you dislike?

I can't honestly think of anything I don't like about the app.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I have found the video tutorials hosted on YouTube and Vimeo really useful. They have taught me a lot about the app. It was really useful to see the app being demonstrated within a real design agency and getting an insight into what actual users create with the software.

Previously I was using VectorDesign and Pixelmator. VectorDesigner became 'vapourware' a few years ago and Pixelmator was replaced with a new app called 'Pixelmator Pro'. I found myself in the market for a powerful design app. I purposely did not want to invest into Adobe products, because I dislike their 'rental' model and I prefer to support indie developers.

Affinity Designer review by <span>Brittani L.</span>
Brittani L.

Great Program for Creating or Editing Vector Files

What do you like best?

I love the ease of creating vector drawings and editing what I've drawn without distorting the quality of the image. Converting files to different formats such as.JPG, PDF, .PNG, etc, while also maintaining or changing the DPI of the image. Affinity Designer also has several paint brush filters that are free upon downloading the program and allows you to create your own filters. Many downloadable filters and fonts online are compatible Designer and extremely useful for art projects.

What do you dislike?

Like any program, there will be differences in the interface that take some exploring and researching to get the full experience of its features. If there were more tutorial videos and Q&A posts on how to make using Designer easier for new users. Improvements I would like to see would be with the paint bucket fill tool, there are no explanations on how to improve technical issues I've had with it. As well as the erase tool, which doesn't include a smart erase that will completely erase specific colors in a specified area.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Affinity Designer is a great tool for designers looking for a cheap program to create all of their graphic designing needs.

Business problems I've had prior to Affinity Designer was the difficulty of maintaining vector files between programs. Benefits would include the ease of editing and converting file formats. Benefits of Designer is the compatibility with fonts and filters that are easy to use to create vector projects.

Affinity Designer review by <span>Jan P.</span>
Jan P.

Essential for the freelancer

What do you like best?

The main reason that I use Affinity designer is the pricing tag.

It is better than Adobe Illustrator in this regard, and slightly faster in other particular aspects, for example, batch exporting is beautifully made.

What do you dislike?

A reason to dislike Affinity might also be in its lack of features compared to Illustrator, but these features are so obscure and small that only a few portion of their possible customers would reject Affinity Designer.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure that you are not using features only available on Illustrator or InkScape which I cannot honestly mention any from the top of my head. So that's good. The initial commitment for Affinity Designer might be slightly more, but since is not a monthly cost you can see how affordable the tool is in the next month alone. This is a major win-win if you are buying multiple licenses if you have multiple co-workers or employees.

Batch exporting the graphics of my clients in multiple sizes with different names is what I do. And Affinity Designer helps me export them easily. Much better than Illustrator's "Assets Export" feature. I also like the ability to move in different "Personas" or Workflow tools, so that your windows don't get cluttered.

Learning about Affinity Designer?

* We monitor all Affinity Designer reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.