Aiven

3.8

Aiven is a managed cloud service hosting for software infrastructure services.

Work for Aiven?

Learning about Aiven?

Aiven Reviews

Ask Aiven a Question
Showing 26 Aiven reviews
Aiven review by Maksis K.
Maksis K.

"Modern and responsive"

What do you like best?

Unlike for most services that have Intercom + FAQs, Aiven seems to actually make the proper use of them - the workflow of

enter question in chat ->

it finds related FAQs with answers ->

you can continue chatting if you have additional questions

is actually working. The answers in the KB are up to date and cut-to-the-chase. When we've had less frequent issues, someone has responded to us quickly enough and rectified existing issues. So in short, support + troubleshooting is top-notch.

What do you dislike?

There seems to be an overall lack of flexibility for configuring instances. It gives the feeling of "hm, I hope Aiven is good choice because what if we need to change this one parameter later on / run this extension in a different mode", etc. More concretely, it would be awesome to see

- custom machines, rather than pre-built ones (or a screen that lets you price estimate a custom build + request to migrate to that)

- more fine-grain control over the machine (pgtune type-of-stuff), being able to run profiling (eg iotop) on the machine, etc. I realise it's hard to do a lot of this for a managed instance, but it would reduce the vendor lock-in feeling.

Being able to host a managed Postgres 10 and TimescaleDB instance, hence saving thousands of pounds in dev time of setting it all up ourselves.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Aiven
Aiven review by Administrator

"Very impressed with the breadth and depth of the service offering"

What do you like best?

TimescaleDB is available for Postgres; we can specify a cloud+region of our choice; the dashboards and help pages provide an excellent level of detail; the pricing structure is clear.

What do you dislike?

Nothing, but I have some suggestions, if I may:

1. We only found out you offer TimescaleDB from a Tweet that I happened to find via Google. For us, this is a killer feature, but it was not obvious that you offered it :-)

2. Extremely minor: when I download Kafka credentials (CA, cert, key) it's not immediately obvious which file is for what purpose, or which project/service. May I suggest renaming them as follows (sorry if the formatting is lost when you read this):

ca.pem --> <projectName>-ca.pem

service.cert --> <projectName>-<serviceName>-client.cert

service.key --> <projectName>-<serviceName>-private.key

This makes it super obvious what each file is for.

We're using TimescaleDB to store ticker information from financial markets e.g. share prices at a given point in time. Also, Kafka allows us to coordinate data flows around our microservices. Aiven allows us to not be locked in to a single cloud provider and also frees us from maintaining critical stateful infrastructure like Postgres and Kafka.

What Other Non-Relational Databases solution do you use?

Aiven review by Craig H.
Craig H.

"Simple, secure, reliable"

What do you like best?

Of all the cloud-based database services we've tried, Aiven has been hands-down the easiest to work with and integrate with our distributed systems.

What do you dislike?

Would like to have some sort of database performance/uptime monitoring tools that are configurable to send out alerts to specific roles/users.

we're a small start-up with limited funding and staff resources. We're in the student loan industry and quickly scaling up as we gain lending licenses in every state. It has been a relief that we've been able to focus on application development without a dedicated database administrator. Every once in awhile, we "check up on" the database -- yep, it's still there -- and we go back to our code.

"Very easy to set up"

What do you like best?

It's very easy to set up, and the control panel helps you a lot on setting up the basics.

What do you dislike?

I'm using Postgres, the control panel could be more advanced, making account management and permissions easier for your databases. I can manage that myself via queries, but that's not as easy.

Also I'm experiencing some speed problems. Even though the database is in the same region on Google Cloud, as my kubernetes cluster is, my php responses take close to 1 second, where that locally is no more than 100ms. I'm not sure yet where the problem is as the Aiven dashboard is showing quick query responses. Further investigation required.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Easy and quick to set up. Yet you have to invest some time to set up some proper database security (roles and accounts/permissions)

Google SQL is very expensive. I was looking for a cheaper, yet high available solution. Setting up was quick and easy.

Aiven review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Cheap alternative for databases"

What do you like best?

It's essentially the same quality and service that we were getting from our other providers (Heroku for postgres, InfluxCloud for our influx db), but for a better price. I needed to copy a postgres db from Heroku to Aiven, and was able to find some helpful documentation and complete the task easily.

What do you dislike?

As with any transition to a new service or provider, it's hard to manage the migration of our existing providers to Aiven.

We are looking to lower the cost of running our software by moving some of our databases to being hosted in Aiven. So far we have seen that Aiven offers a similar service to our current providers, but for less cost.

Aiven review by Administrator

"Very nice abstraction layer on top of you favourite Cloud Compute Provider"

What do you like best?

The fully managed services. Before I would have to setup Elasticsearch or Redis on our own cluster, and setup all the backing up myself. Also I mainly switched because that's the only way I could have a fully managed PostgreSQL with TimescaleDB extension.

What do you dislike?

The Pricing is a little on the heavy side. I think you guys run on 2x (100%) margin on top of the raw Cloud Costs. Which is understandable, I don't know how much work has went into developing your products.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Go for it

Our startup needs to store vast amounts of time series data with very big ingest rates. We figured out TimescaleDB extension for PostgreSQL would be the perfect solution, but at the moment as we are just 2 developers we don't have the time and resources to maintain a database ourself. Google Cloud Platform has a fully managed PostreSQL database but it doesn't support TimescaleDB extension

Aiven review by Pouria I.
Pouria I.

"Aiven makes everything easier !"

What do you like best?

What i like about aiven is their support. They are answering really quickly and they help even the problem is not aiven related , I learned a lot of things from them(like pgbouncer) and im looking forward to work with them even more.

Another thing is that with aiven I dont have to worry about maintenance and HA.

What do you dislike?

I'm really looking forward to be able to download the backup that aiven takes automatically.

and I want to be able to stream the database logs to another service

HA and maintenance and security

Aiven review by Consultant

"Good"

What do you like best?

- Place in time restores

- Database forks

- Read-only replicas

What do you dislike?

Mainly that this isn't the default GCP PostgreSQL. Sorry but it's nice when all your stuff is in one place (or at least a reduced amount of places). I wonder if there's some kind of aggregating console service out there...

We wanted a managed PostgreSQL service when we moved from AWS to GCP. When I was analysing a bug recently, I discovered the "database fork" feature and was able to easily snapshot the production database (and have it available/connectable for testing) and then fix the data in production to work around the bug.

Aiven review by Andrew M.
Andrew M.

"Aiven Kafka review"

What do you like best?

I like that I don't have to deal with kafka maintenance.

What do you dislike?

I wish that there were a way to same / view all messages moving through kafka so that I could debug manually when necessary. My stream is low volume.

We use kafka as our message broker in a distributed system setup with Lagom.

Aiven review by Dave K.
Dave K.

"Can't complain"

What do you like best?

It's nice to not have to worry about managing Kafka as much.

What do you dislike?

The classic issue of abstracting stuff away from you leaves with with lessened control when you need it.

Reducing dev time spent managing infrastructure.

Aiven review by Administrator in Internet
Administrator in Internet

"Clean UI"

What do you like best?

Aiven is what AWS should be. It's easy to find what you are looking for, the settings are where they should be and the structure is very logical.

What do you dislike?

Not much other than more features and customisability/settings without making it confusing like AWS.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use it for as many services that you can to avoid splitting up your services across too many vendors.

We are using Kafka and Postgres to perform event streaming.

Aiven review by Internal Consultant
Internal Consultant

"Powerfull/Effective but quite closed"

What do you like best?

backup, replication, cloud choice, price

What do you dislike?

Automatic backup can not been acceded. No way to leave the service safely.

We have to create backup on our own (schedule, backup, restore, storage) just to get the ownership of our data.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Not specific to Aiven : As all cloud provider customer : keep a backup on your side.

We do not have Ops team so we prefer using a techno-provider.

Aiven review by User

"Nice Product heading the right direction"

What do you like best?

- The new UI is really nice, though we could use more granular/fine-tuning in the time-frames.

- Response times

- VPC support

- Good integrations

- great support

What do you dislike?

Stability seems to be a bit rough from time to time - I will put it on Google's underlying technology, but the monitoring and notification to us was a bit too late.

We need support for more customization of backup process (I guess we are not the only ones)

feature: Multi-region master/failover scheme

Relational Database for storing data.

Management / reliability / scalability / monitoring / backups and restores / plv8 support

Aiven review by User

"Easy to use Database as a Service with focus on security!"

What do you like best?

The User Interface is fast and has direct links to useful information. For example, metrics and backups are available one click away. Aiven has a focus on security that is welcome and instills trust.

What do you dislike?

I wish Aiven supported more Service Integrations - specifically we use NewRelic for APM.

Aiven is becoming our database as a service platform. We are able to focus on business goals instead of maintaining servers.

Aiven review by Executive Sponsor
Executive Sponsor

"All in one"

What do you like best?

Good one stop shop for services that bigger enterprises charge more than what we're willing to pay.

What do you dislike?

Some of their API is a little odd and there are a number of manual touch-points in the engagement that we're wary of.

We wanted a Kafka cluster without having to run it ourselves. It was far cheaper than hiring a team to run it for us.

Aiven review by Alex D.
Alex D.

"Event driven architectures made easy"

What do you like best?

- simple integration with Kubernetes

- decoupling infrastructure code from application code

What do you dislike?

Gosh, not mush here to complain about. UI is intuitive, and interface is simple. Maybe have simple tutorials, "hello Aiven world" style for the uninitiated.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give a go! These guys are heading in the right direction.

- energy trading platform for tomorrow's smarter energy grid

Aiven review by Janne K.
Janne K.

"CTO, System Architect"

What do you like best?

Designing architecture with emphasis on scalability and long term sustainability.

What do you dislike?

Hosting my own infrastructure such as databases and message brokers.

Hosted database, hosted messaging.

Aiven review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"Aiven Trial"

What do you like best?

So far so good. However, I wish they had mongodb as a service as well.

What do you dislike?

Nothing as of yet. We have been happy with the service.

Managed services. It's cheaper for us to hire out systems maintenance rather than hire team members to do the role.

Aiven review by Leandro C.
Leandro C.

"Fast support. All my questions were answered very promptly."

What do you like best?

The "self-service" approach. We can upgrade and downgrade as we like.

What do you dislike?

The fact we cannot have a free development environment.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need a professional support, Aiven is ahead of others.

We don't want to hire a Kafka cluster manager, it's not our core business. Having this as a service is much easier,

"Good service"

What do you like best?

Easy to setup, clean interface. The service works as expected, that's exactly what I would expect.

What do you dislike?

I currently don't see anything negative about Aiven.

Reliable, high availability, support our load, greatly simplified the way we manage our databases.

Aiven review by Administrator in Computer Software

"Aiven Review"

What do you like best?

The thing I like best about aiven is that It's managed by someone else

What do you dislike?

The thing I dislike the most about aiven is the lack of Kafka connect

Event driven microservices

"reliable service"

What do you like best?

Good service, prompt answers to support issues

What do you dislike?

limited product configuration (e.g. it was not possible to use redis because of protocol mismatch)

Analysis and prediction for payTV business

"easy to setup and use"

What do you like best?

ease of creating and managing databases, very simple interface

What do you dislike?

hard to programmatically create/update through terraform

cheaper infrastructure. we are currently using heroku

Aiven review by Administrator in Internet
Administrator in Internet

"As comfortable as I hoped"

What do you like best?

The interface is great. I like how easy it is to perform fork and restore.

What do you dislike?

Not enough control when there is an issue or outage. This makes sense because most of the heavy lifting is hidden from the end user.

PostgreSQL storage as a service... Having the functionality without needing to maintain the infrastructure.

"PostgreSQL newbie analyst"

What do you like best?

Clean interface, minimalist design, easy to navigate

What do you dislike?

No (obvious) query interface or easy way to see schema (that I could find).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Have a PostgreSQL GUI/IDE in mind ahead of time for your data analysts.

chosen because it works with AWS kinesis firehose and many other services (not my decision or expertise)

Aiven review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Solid postgres, slightly lacking redis"

What do you like best?

Nice simple pricing model

Enough metrics for the important stuff without cluttering up the place

What do you dislike?

Redis has no easy dump restore function for migrating from external source

Backups are not very accessible, be nice to be able to download arbitrary backups.

Hosting PSQL and Redis in GCP

Learning about Aiven?

* We monitor all Aiven reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.