Aiven

Aiven is a managed cloud service hosting for software infrastructure services.

Work for Aiven?

Learning about Aiven?

Aiven Reviews

Ask Aiven a Question
Showing 12 Aiven reviews
Aiven review by Administrator

Very easy to set up

What do you like best?

It's very easy to set up, and the control panel helps you a lot on setting up the basics.

What do you dislike?

I'm using Postgres, the control panel could be more advanced, making account management and permissions easier for your databases. I can manage that myself via queries, but that's not as easy.

Also I'm experiencing some speed problems. Even though the database is in the same region on Google Cloud, as my kubernetes cluster is, my php responses take close to 1 second, where that locally is no more than 100ms. I'm not sure yet where the problem is as the Aiven dashboard is showing quick query responses. Further investigation required.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Easy and quick to set up. Yet you have to invest some time to set up some proper database security (roles and accounts/permissions)

Google SQL is very expensive. I was looking for a cheaper, yet high available solution. Setting up was quick and easy.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Aiven
Aiven review by <span>Pouria I.</span>
Pouria I.

Aiven makes everything easier !

What do you like best?

What i like about aiven is their support. They are answering really quickly and they help even the problem is not aiven related , I learned a lot of things from them(like pgbouncer) and im looking forward to work with them even more.

Another thing is that with aiven I dont have to worry about maintenance and HA.

What do you dislike?

I'm really looking forward to be able to download the backup that aiven takes automatically.

and I want to be able to stream the database logs to another service

HA and maintenance and security

What Other Non-Relational Databases solution do you use?

Aiven review by <span>Craig H.</span>
Craig H.

Simple, secure, reliable

What do you like best?

Of all the cloud-based database services we've tried, Aiven has been hands-down the easiest to work with and integrate with our distributed systems.

What do you dislike?

Would like to have some sort of database performance/uptime monitoring tools that are configurable to send out alerts to specific roles/users.

we're a small start-up with limited funding and staff resources. We're in the student loan industry and quickly scaling up as we gain lending licenses in every state. It has been a relief that we've been able to focus on application development without a dedicated database administrator. Every once in awhile, we "check up on" the database -- yep, it's still there -- and we go back to our code.

Aiven review by Consultant

Good

What do you like best?

- Place in time restores

- Database forks

- Read-only replicas

What do you dislike?

Mainly that this isn't the default GCP PostgreSQL. Sorry but it's nice when all your stuff is in one place (or at least a reduced amount of places). I wonder if there's some kind of aggregating console service out there...

We wanted a managed PostgreSQL service when we moved from AWS to GCP. When I was analysing a bug recently, I discovered the "database fork" feature and was able to easily snapshot the production database (and have it available/connectable for testing) and then fix the data in production to work around the bug.

Aiven review by <span>Andrew M.</span>
Andrew M.

Aiven Kafka review

What do you like best?

I like that I don't have to deal with kafka maintenance.

What do you dislike?

I wish that there were a way to same / view all messages moving through kafka so that I could debug manually when necessary. My stream is low volume.

We use kafka as our message broker in a distributed system setup with Lagom.

Aiven review by <span>Janne K.</span>
Janne K.

CTO, System Architect

What do you like best?

Designing architecture with emphasis on scalability and long term sustainability.

What do you dislike?

Hosting my own infrastructure such as databases and message brokers.

Hosted database, hosted messaging.

Learning about Aiven?

* We monitor all Aiven reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.