ALEKS

Assessment and Learning in Knowledge Spaces is a Web-based, artificially intelligent assessment and learning system. ALEKS uses adaptive questioning to quickly and accurately determine exactly what a student knows and doesn't know in a course.

Work for ALEKS?
Edsby  assessment   2x

Learning about ALEKS?

ALEKS Reviews

Showing 16 ALEKS reviews
ALEKS review by <span>Anne V.</span>
Anne V.

ALEKS is amazing

What do you like best?

It's the only adaptive learning software that I feel really lives up to the description adaptive. I choose which topics I want my course to cover, and then ALEKS has students take an initial assessment to see what they already know and walks them through understanding the topics they don't know. Periodically, it re-assesses them to make sure that they remember what they have learned and to check for extra, unexpected learning. As the students practice each topic, they have to answer a series of closely related questions, and these questions are more different than merely the same problem with different numbers. For the most part, additional homework assignments and quizzes are superfluous. ALEKS also has a variety of reports for me to see which students have been working on what.

What do you dislike?

I don't like that the due dates for modules can only be set for 11:59pm. The due dates on quizzes, homeworks, etc can be set to be due at any time, but I can't can only specify a day for the learning modules. The reports are hard to navigate at first because there are so many, and they're not always intuitively labeled.

The thing I like the least is that there is no way for me to program in additional questions directly. There is a way to add external grades to the gradebook, but I can't add any questions directly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Ask the McGraw-Hill folks to set up a training for your instructors well before you bring students in. It does take some time to learn how it all works.

ALEKS helps my university keep our curriculum more uniform at all of our campuses, which is something our administration prizes. When students miss class, ALEKS helps keep them from falling too far behind, and ALEKS makes sure they work hard to earn the grades they do.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about ALEKS
ALEKS review by <span>Alicia Z.</span>
Alicia Z.

Pretty good overall

What do you like best?

The online textbook is very convenient. You don't need to bring around a big book, which saves paper and space, and can access homework fairly easily as long as you have access to the internet. Additionally, I like that they tell you how many attempts you have for the assignment and when the assignment due date is. This makes finishing my work much more efficient.

What do you dislike?

For a lot of my textbooks, I cannot access the textbook directly. I need to first click into my assignments and then go to my textbook. I feel like this wastes a lot of time, especially because it only brings you to the chapter that corresponds to the homework. I believe this is a major area that can be improved.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is still a good program, just the connect homework problems be a little confusing at first.

I once had problems because I had registered a textbook with the wrong professor. Their customer service is very good, their hours are amazing, and the problem was resolved very quickly.

What Assessment solution do you use?

ALEKS review by <span>Yia Yia S.</span>
Yia Yia S.

Valuable tool in sharpening your knowledge

What do you like best?

Its very easy to use. I like it very organized and lets you when assignments are due and keeps track of your progress.

What do you dislike?

One frustrating thing about Aleks is when you get a question wrong it will continue to backtrack until you get it right. I tend to make careless computing mistakes so when I enter the answer incorrectly into the system even though I know what I'm doing it marks me wrong and now I'm back to square one.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Send students emails/alerts of upcoming assignments and due dates.

I have no business problems that I'm solving with ALEKS.

ALEKS review by Administrator in Primary/Secondary Education
Administrator in Primary/Secondary Education

ALEKS was easy to use and assess student progress

What do you like best?

I love the reports that I can run to see students progress and I like that I can see exactly what questions students got incorrect and what problems they skipped.

What do you dislike?

I do not like that the program can be boring for students. I wish there was more interaction, such as videos, for the students. I also wish assessments could be rescheduled.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a great program for secondary students. It allows them to choose their course of learning. However, once an assessment is started, there is no getting out of it, even if a teacher requests an assessment, so this may cause students to get burned out with how frequently they need to be on the program.

Tracking student progress, student centered classrooms, blended learning.

ALEKS review by User in Information Technology and Services

A helpful learning tool for K-12

What do you like best?

I am a pretty big advocate of ALEKS, and I've used it for quite a while now. I love being able to pull up what the kids have learnt and haven't learned. It's possible to know who has mastered a subject and who has not.

What do you dislike?

There isn't really much I dislike about this program. I don't like the notifications, and sometimes the user interface is hard to use. Occasional glitches can happen, so remember to keep your work saved at all times.

Recommendations to others considering the product

As I always say, remember to analyze the other alternatives and all the capabilities of the program in order to make good use of the money it costs.

I used it for testing in order to make a Thesis about educational software and games. One of the big benefits is that is supported by a well known corporation as Mc Graw Hill, and it has great client assistance to guide you through the options.

ALEKS review by Administrator in Higher Education
Administrator in Higher Education

ALEKS for Math

What do you like best?

Easy to use for students, good customer service from ALEKS Customer service, step by step tutorial for students

What do you dislike?

So far there is nothing to dislike about this software, it seems to be a great resource for students to be using to help with their math skills

Recommendations to others considering the product

A great program for students to use on campus or at home.

Business problems being solved by ALEKS is helping students brush up on their math skills. With this software students can come in the Math Success Lab on campus and review and prepare for classes, assessment tests, etc.

Learning about ALEKS?

* We monitor all ALEKS reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.