G2 Crowd builds the world's largest business commerce platform fueled by $100M in funding ­čÜÇ

Amazon Glacier

3.9

Amazon Glacier is a secure, durable, and extremely low-cost cloud storage service for data archiving and long-term backup.

Work for Amazon Glacier?

Learning about AWS Glacier?

Amazon Glacier Reviews

Showing 18 AWS Glacier reviews
AWS Glacier review by Erik W.
Erik W.

"Storage issues, Terrible customer experience"

What do you like best?

The price was very appealing, and setup was fast and convenient. We mostly use cloud storage as CYA, pushed a NAS solution.

To be honest, I think almost anyone in need of cloud storage could intuit there way through the setup.

What do you dislike?

We had a problem where we could not delete vaults/inventory that we did not need. Contacted customer support repeatedly, but with no help. Eventually they said we needed to purchase a support package. Worst of all, they kept charging us for the storage we did not want but could not get rid of. So in order to stop paying for space we didn't want, we needed to pay them more money for monthly support.

Also, some of the access from SAN/NAS devices is unreliable. Simply put, Glacier kept timing out on larger data pushes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Only purchase if you're planning to purchase support. If anything goes wrong with their services, you're on the hook not them, unless you fork up the money for support.

None - overall its been a net loss. Because Glacier kept timing out on larger data pushes, we were never able to push more than 5% of data. And when we wanted to delete outdated vaults/inventory, we couldn't. And when we asked for help, it was contingent on paying more money.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Amazon Glacier
AWS Glacier review by Glenn J.
Glenn J.

"Great method on archiving data"

What do you like best?

We use Glacier to archive database and system backups from EC2 instances. The cost is amazing and it always works. It also removes older archives so we don't have to think about performing that operation.

What do you dislike?

Glacier can be a bit difficult to setup, but once setup it just runs. Other than the initial setup, it works great.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need an inexpensive cloud archive solution, you can't get much better than Glacier.

We need to keep database and system backups for one year and Glacier allows us to do this with a price tag of one cent per month. Can't get much better than that.

What Cold Storage solution do you use?

AWS Glacier review by Max K.
Max K.

"Excellent storage for infrequently accessed data"

What do you like best?

It's the cost. We store terabytes of data and even though the monthly cost is relatively small. I hardly doubt we could have built a more cost effective solution on our own.

What do you dislike?

The only downside is the recovery speed. We have automated ourselves through this: it is pretty easy as Glacier has decent API. But don't count you can get the backup within the same hour or two you requested it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you store the data only for disaster recovery or other unlikely scenario. The speed of the data recovery is slow.

Make sure you store have the index of your data and can delete it by yourself periodically. Or create new vaults on weekly / monthly or yearly basis, so that you can purge the old ones completely.

We are using AWS Glacier as a long term backup storage for backups we will not likely have to access. Excellent low cost storage for infrequently accessed data.

AWS Glacier review by Jay K.
Jay K.

"Amazon Glacier provides an easy and cheap storage solution. Watch out for retrieval fees though."

What do you like best?

Cheap and long term storage. However, getting your data back can be costly if you don't pay attention. They do provide an option by which to retrieve up to a certain amount of your data for free every month, but it's in the low single digits of percentage.

What do you dislike?

The retrieval fees can be astronomical if you're not careful.

I wouldn't recommend it for a long term backup solution, but as a long term archive solution due to these retrieval fees.

What's the difference? (This is my nomenclature.) A backup is something you want all of at one time (e.g. you restore a backup). An archive is something you might want pieces of from time to time (e.g. your tax returns for the last few years).

That said, I find Amazon Glacier to be exactly as advertised, and a very good price if you want long term storage with infrequent retrieval.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Pay attention to what your needs are. Again, the retrieval can be expensive if you're not prepared for it.

I no longer use Amazon Glacier. There are many cheaper and easier solutions that will hold the amount of data that I require (< 1TB).

However, it is so expensive to retrieve the data I have up there, that I currently am just maintaining the data I have present.

AWS Glacier review by Jack-Benny P.
Jack-Benny P.

"I use Amazon Glacier to backup and archive important document repos."

What do you like best?

The "pay only for what you use"-system. My data keeps adding up on Glacier as I use it, and once in awhile I tend to remove very old data. Once I deleted the old data, the charges drop again, which is very nice for a small business owner as myself.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes I recommend Amazon Glacier to customers, and they sometimes have a hard time figuring it out. Both the payment-model and the various ins and outs of the entire system and API. So yes, I could be a little easier to use.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Find a good piece of software and test it thoroughly. Once you're familiar with the software you use with Glacier start reading up on how it's working so you can implement and automate things. Remember though, do read up on the payment-system first so you won't get a chock when the bill arrives. There are some sneaky stuff to look out for, for example extra costs for "early deletions" and stuff like that. But all in all, it's a very cheap backup and storage solution. Keep in mind that Glacier is meant for long-time storage. Once you want to retrieve data from Glacier you have to schedule a retrieval job first and then wait for the job to finish before you can actually download your data.

The problem that Glacier solves for me is that I can now sleep well at night, knowing my data is securely backup up and tucked away.

AWS Glacier review by Ferran A.
Ferran A.

"Handy product with little maintainance"

What do you like best?

The easy integration with S3. It is really easy to set up a bucket rotation to Glacier and recover files from there.

You just pay less for what you have. Those files that can be in cold storage are cheaper than the ones that require high availability.

What do you dislike?

The common interface through the cli is not easy to use. It requires a deep level of knowledge and understanding of the product. In my opinion commands are too low level. You need to understand what is a multipart uploading, etc.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think it is a simple great product with a lot of complexity in their design. I just would say that mind that it could take a while to recover files. Besides there is no simple way to know what is in there, so you have to keep your own list.

Glacier is not solving an specific problem, but it makes cheaper and possible to backup large amounts of data. We use it mainly as an S3 recycle archive.

We would remove certain amount of data after a while because of the storage cost. However, with Glacier, we double that amount of time.

AWS Glacier review by Szilveszter M.
Szilveszter M.

"Good-ish service, however not at the best price"

What do you like best?

I like glacier because of it's ease of use. I'm using a Synology NAS at home which has built in support for Amazon Glacier, and I'm backing up around 0.7T of data to Glacier. It's a simple to use service and as usual with everything at Amazon one has extensive developer documentation.

What do you dislike?

It's price. About 5 years ago it was a super-affordable service which promised low cost long term backups. However there are competitors (eg. Google) who offer a similarly low price to store your data with the added benefit of not using tapes - thus you can access your data immediately, and free.

With Glacier you incur costs when you retrieve your data.

I also dislike the fact, that a vault inventory is not done by amazon, so if one wants to discover the contents of a vault, a separate store should be created with the "table of contents" of your vaults. In my opinion this service should be free of charge, included with Glacier.

- I'm backing up my databases, the law in our country requires to keep it for at least 5 years

- back up around 300G of photos

AWS Glacier review by Michael B.
Michael B.

"Good and cheap long-term storage"

What do you like best?

One word: Price. Being a cloud service means that all that boring stuff like backups, system maintenance and patching, expensive raid systems and so on is not something that you need to worry about, Amazon takes care of all those things for you giving you peace of mind. You pay only for what you use, not what you might be using and the system does not have a upper limit of how much storage you can use however much data that is. Best usage is to use it to store infrequently used data like old backup archives etc., files you don't use every day and don't mind waiting for a while before you can access the data.

What do you dislike?

You need to do some planning before using. First thing: Store collections (zip-archives etc.) of the data you want to have stored, not individual files unless you know that you only need to restore them one-by-one. AWS charges for each object and the restore time can be in hours, so keep that in mind when you plan your archive strategy.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Plan ahead what you want to use Amazon AWS Glacier for, it is very cheap storage but the time to recover files for download can be a deal breaker for some. I highly recommend using it in conjunction with the AWS S3 service to automatically archive old underused data while keeping recent added data online and as a plus you can control S3 and the Glacier with the same API.

Together with AWS S3 life cycle management I can archive away infrequently used files to Glacier, saving a lot of money. I also upload pure archive data to Glacier where there is a need to keep the data but not access it (think log files where you have legal requirement to keep them for a certain period of time).

AWS Glacier review by Luis A.
Luis A.

"The best option for long term backups"

What do you like best?

Amazon Glacier's price is what made me decide to use it for backup our production servers. It's simplicity is amazing and allows us to save lots of valuable information at low cost. The time for retrieve information might be one of the weak points if you need information always available but combining a set backup scenarios

What do you dislike?

The time for retrieve information that might vary from minutes to hours. It┬┤s not that I fully dislike it but at low cost is something I can live with. Of course, not all of the backup information will go to Glacier. We've decided to keep some information on S3 instead of glacier for quickly retrieval. But after some time that information is moved back to Glacier.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need to get your data backup out of your premises and you want to save money, Glacier plus some scripts can be a solution for you.

We've solved backups on production servers, DRP plans, DRP scenarios.

AWS Glacier review by Luis E.
Luis E.

"Great backup storage"

What do you like best?

The princing per GB is the best and it's really great to implement it on customers projects and solutions. Combining it with external tools for best user experience it you dont want to use the command line is a must.

What do you dislike?

That the inventory request can not be expedited so you must wait 4 hours to complete.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great for files that are not accessed frequently and for websites backups.

Automatic backups for customers websites and files.

AWS Glacier review by M├╝cahit .
M├╝cahit .

"Difficult to use than S3"

What do you like best?

Very cheap storage option. Good for backups.

What do you dislike?

Glacier working flow is complex and not straight forward as S3. Amazon Python SDK for Glacier is also not mature enough as S3.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are not handling huge data, just use S3

I was using Glacier to backup databases. I find S3 more suitable for small amount of data.

AWS Glacier review by David B.
David B.

"Good for data backup"

What do you like best?

Storage is cheap, so I can save there all the data that I'll probably never need (but better safe than sorry!)

What do you dislike?

Pricing schema is a bit complicated, not sure what you need to pay

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great to use if you are alrready using S3, trivial to use in combination with S3

Backups

AWS Glacier review by Administrator

"Great for file archives"

What do you like best?

Tons of storage for very little cost which provides a great option for long term file archives

What do you dislike?

Lack of built in file browser - requires third party tools.

Glacier provides an inexpensive offside disaster recovery solution.

AWS Glacier review by Administrator in Computer Software

"Amazon Glacier review"

What do you like best?

It's really cheap for long-term archive, after you set up your process (API calls), it mostly just keep it there until you need it.

What do you dislike?

The price for restore a full archive is somehow very high. The way Amazon calculates the prices are extremely complicated to understand at first sight. You need a lot of review and also sometimes a lawyer specialized on this. Fortunately we have a lot of great minds on our team so we did our research before it goes on the contract.

Assets storage, mostly historical data we don't need to be 'alive' all the time, like notes on records, attached documents already processed and more.

AWS Glacier review by Igor .
Igor .

"Too good to be true"

What do you like best?

Low prices and the promise of reliability

What do you dislike?

The user interface on the web is lacking

Recommendations to others considering the product

Go use it. It's good.

I store virtual machine images.

AWS Glacier review by Administrator in Internet
Administrator in Internet

"Amazon Glacier"

What do you like best?

Pricing is the real reason anyone would be drawn to Glacier.

What do you dislike?

There are pretty specific time constraints on accessing data. Retrieval has a wait period and transfer can be slow.

I use glacier for server backups at work and personally I use it to backup files on my laptop through Arq.

AWS Glacier review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"Base of incremental backup for disaster recovery via a Synology NAS software"

What do you like best?

Low pricing and the API interface are structured for what is studied for: a low cost historical backup for low frenquency access and long duration

What do you dislike?

For archiving data I didn't experienced any negative effect.

Although I haven't tried to restore data, I've seen that the restore costs may be very high in proportion to how quickly you want your restored files back.

Historical data archive and disaster recovery

AWS Glacier review by Administrator in Marketing and Advertising

"Cheap storage"

What do you like best?

VERY VERY CHEAP

but nothing else is positive

What do you dislike?

Very inconvenient to extract data

really don't get the point

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider extract delay!

Backup storage

Learning about Amazon Glacier?

* We monitor all Amazon Glacier reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.