Amazon Glacier

Amazon Glacier is a secure, durable, and extremely low-cost cloud storage service for data archiving and long-term backup.

Work for Amazon Glacier?

Learning about AWS Glacier?

Amazon Glacier Reviews

Showing 17 AWS Glacier reviews
AWS Glacier review by <span>Glenn J.</span>
Glenn J.

Great method on archiving data

What do you like best?

We use Glacier to archive database and system backups from EC2 instances. The cost is amazing and it always works. It also removes older archives so we don't have to think about performing that operation.

What do you dislike?

Glacier can be a bit difficult to setup, but once setup it just runs. Other than the initial setup, it works great.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need an inexpensive cloud archive solution, you can't get much better than Glacier.

We need to keep database and system backups for one year and Glacier allows us to do this with a price tag of one cent per month. Can't get much better than that.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Amazon Glacier
AWS Glacier review by <span>Max K.</span>
Max K.

Excellent storage for infrequently accessed data

What do you like best?

It's the cost. We store terabytes of data and even though the monthly cost is relatively small. I hardly doubt we could have built a more cost effective solution on our own.

What do you dislike?

The only downside is the recovery speed. We have automated ourselves through this: it is pretty easy as Glacier has decent API. But don't count you can get the backup within the same hour or two you requested it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you store the data only for disaster recovery or other unlikely scenario. The speed of the data recovery is slow.

Make sure you store have the index of your data and can delete it by yourself periodically. Or create new vaults on weekly / monthly or yearly basis, so that you can purge the old ones completely.

We are using AWS Glacier as a long term backup storage for backups we will not likely have to access. Excellent low cost storage for infrequently accessed data.

What Storage Management solution do you use?

AWS Glacier review by <span>Jay K.</span>
Jay K.

Amazon Glacier provides an easy and cheap storage solution. Watch out for retrieval fees though.

What do you like best?

Cheap and long term storage. However, getting your data back can be costly if you don't pay attention. They do provide an option by which to retrieve up to a certain amount of your data for free every month, but it's in the low single digits of percentage.

What do you dislike?

The retrieval fees can be astronomical if you're not careful.

I wouldn't recommend it for a long term backup solution, but as a long term archive solution due to these retrieval fees.

What's the difference? (This is my nomenclature.) A backup is something you want all of at one time (e.g. you restore a backup). An archive is something you might want pieces of from time to time (e.g. your tax returns for the last few years).

That said, I find Amazon Glacier to be exactly as advertised, and a very good price if you want long term storage with infrequent retrieval.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Pay attention to what your needs are. Again, the retrieval can be expensive if you're not prepared for it.

I no longer use Amazon Glacier. There are many cheaper and easier solutions that will hold the amount of data that I require (< 1TB).

However, it is so expensive to retrieve the data I have up there, that I currently am just maintaining the data I have present.

AWS Glacier review by <span>Jack-Benny P.</span>
Jack-Benny P.

I use Amazon Glacier to backup and archive important document repos.

What do you like best?

The "pay only for what you use"-system. My data keeps adding up on Glacier as I use it, and once in awhile I tend to remove very old data. Once I deleted the old data, the charges drop again, which is very nice for a small business owner as myself.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes I recommend Amazon Glacier to customers, and they sometimes have a hard time figuring it out. Both the payment-model and the various ins and outs of the entire system and API. So yes, I could be a little easier to use.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Find a good piece of software and test it thoroughly. Once you're familiar with the software you use with Glacier start reading up on how it's working so you can implement and automate things. Remember though, do read up on the payment-system first so you won't get a chock when the bill arrives. There are some sneaky stuff to look out for, for example extra costs for "early deletions" and stuff like that. But all in all, it's a very cheap backup and storage solution. Keep in mind that Glacier is meant for long-time storage. Once you want to retrieve data from Glacier you have to schedule a retrieval job first and then wait for the job to finish before you can actually download your data.

The problem that Glacier solves for me is that I can now sleep well at night, knowing my data is securely backup up and tucked away.

AWS Glacier review by <span>Ferran A.</span>
Ferran A.

Handy product with little maintainance

What do you like best?

The easy integration with S3. It is really easy to set up a bucket rotation to Glacier and recover files from there.

You just pay less for what you have. Those files that can be in cold storage are cheaper than the ones that require high availability.

What do you dislike?

The common interface through the cli is not easy to use. It requires a deep level of knowledge and understanding of the product. In my opinion commands are too low level. You need to understand what is a multipart uploading, etc.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think it is a simple great product with a lot of complexity in their design. I just would say that mind that it could take a while to recover files. Besides there is no simple way to know what is in there, so you have to keep your own list.

Glacier is not solving an specific problem, but it makes cheaper and possible to backup large amounts of data. We use it mainly as an S3 recycle archive.

We would remove certain amount of data after a while because of the storage cost. However, with Glacier, we double that amount of time.

AWS Glacier review by <span>Szilveszter M.</span>
Szilveszter M.

Good-ish service, however not at the best price

What do you like best?

I like glacier because of it's ease of use. I'm using a Synology NAS at home which has built in support for Amazon Glacier, and I'm backing up around 0.7T of data to Glacier. It's a simple to use service and as usual with everything at Amazon one has extensive developer documentation.

What do you dislike?

It's price. About 5 years ago it was a super-affordable service which promised low cost long term backups. However there are competitors (eg. Google) who offer a similarly low price to store your data with the added benefit of not using tapes - thus you can access your data immediately, and free.

With Glacier you incur costs when you retrieve your data.

I also dislike the fact, that a vault inventory is not done by amazon, so if one wants to discover the contents of a vault, a separate store should be created with the "table of contents" of your vaults. In my opinion this service should be free of charge, included with Glacier.

- I'm backing up my databases, the law in our country requires to keep it for at least 5 years

- back up around 300G of photos

Learning about Amazon Glacier?

* We monitor all Amazon Glacier reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.