Amazon S3

Amazon S3 is storage for the Internet. A simple web services interface used to store and retrieve any amount of data, at any time, from anywhere on the web.

Work for Amazon S3?

Learning about Amazon S3?

Amazon S3 Reviews

Showing 179 Amazon S3 reviews
Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Amazon S3
Amazon S3 review by <span>Bob S.</span>
Bob S.

"Best Place for Storage inside or outside of your products"

What do you like best?

I like thatS3 is so versatile to store information within a product, or from any other location. It can be made available online and also has rules which auto delete information after a specific period of time.

Ability to access from web, cli, applications, etc...

What do you dislike?

Years ago some of the documentation was a little confusing with buckets and key to access objects. While abstracting out normal files storage words like folders and location it could have been a bit clearer.... But after a bit of playing around, you are completely find with buckets and keys to objects...

Recommendations to others considering the product

Start the migration to S3 now, it will keep your data safe and secure in a very simple solutions that anyone can use...

A very cost effective and secure solutions to store, transfer, archive, retrieve, distribute, and anything else with data/files/etc.

We store our own files, our customers files, archive builds, products, solutions, etc.

Outside of work I store pictures, music, movies, files and pretty much anything else I want to access from multiple locations and keep secure in case of data loss in home or at work.

What Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) solution do you use?

Amazon S3 review by <span>Brad C.</span>
Brad C.

"Scaleable, Cost effective but you have to be willing to learn on your own or pay for premium support"

What do you like best?

A cost effective way to host larger media (in my case, mostly iSpring online elearning lessons) without having to upgrade my server hosting capacity. Once set up, the interface is easy to navigate and reliable. The uploading interface and feedback is outstanding and the best I have ever experienced. Their rates are extremely competitive (I also considered digital ocean) and I am satisfied with my choice.

What do you dislike?

There is a learning curve when you are getting it set up and you have to be willing to pay if you need even the most basic support from a human. Considering what they charge, this is reasonable. The free tier is genius on their part because they give you a full year (up to a certain threshold which I hit in month 4 from very heavy use) so you get everything integrated and set up before you have a good estimate of what it is going to cost. Based on their "vertical integration" with their other services, it seems that most technologically literate people are who use this mostly since I wouldn't have a clue how to use any of what they try to upsell me on (other than the support haha)

Recommendations to others considering the product

I am glad I did it but be willing to Google to learn the ropes and get set up. Once you have passed that initial learning curve, it is a breeze to use and very inexpensive. they are transparent with their billing as well.

We were worried about scaling issues if our business grew too quickly or existing users would be using our services more than forecasted. Instead of having to pay through the nose for more intense web hosting for the rest of the site, we integrated Amazon S3 for hosting all of our bandwidth heavy items.

Amazon S3 review by <span>Travis G.</span>
Travis G.

"S3 Cloud Storage"

What do you like best?

My favorite feature of S3 (Amazon's Cloud Storage) is split between 2 things. 1) The extremely high durability of data. AWS's S3 storage provides "11 - nines" of durability. That's 99.9999999% durability!!! When you consider that level of durability: (being calculated as follows) 10 million objects will incur a single (as in 1) lost object about once every 10 thousand years and you factor how competitive the price point is for S3/per GB when compared to other (less durable) storage solutions it became clear to me that I wanted to utilize S3 for my data storage solution. The second 2) feature that I like best is that S3 can be fully managed with API calls. Meaning I can develop an in-house software, program, or script that allows me to interact with my data programmatically versus having to use a GUI or web interface. (Those options still exist, but aren't the "only" way to interact with S3.) It's an incredibly powerful and useful tool to have programmatic access to your data.

What do you dislike?

I hate to be 'that guy' that doesn't have any negatives, but so far from my use of the S3 service; in production, testing, and development workloads, I have yet to come across anything that is an outright negative for me personally. If AWS could lower the price of the service that would be great, but we can't really expect such a service to be completely free.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Other considerations for administrative users of the product, permissions can be set in a few different places; this is the reason I gave the Ease of Use, Setup, and Admin less than a perfect score. IAM is used for creating users, groups, and roles. Ideally, you will mostly be settings permissions for S3 there on a per-user or per-group basis by attaching roles to the users or groups. However, under each bucket there are additional permissions settings that exist. ACL's, Bucket Policies (JSON format), and CORS. These additional settings option can really get you into hot-water if you are unsure of the settings here. If you perform a quick Google search with terms like, "S3 bucket policy data breaches" you will find tons of instances where someone did not set the bucket settings correctly and hackers were able to access data or worse from incorrect settings. Please, just for the sake of data security read up on S3 best practices if you are unsure how to setup these buckets.

I have been able to help clients host their static websites in S3. I have setup multiple S3 buckets, paired with a Route 53 (DNS) record, CloudFront (CDN) pointing to the S3 bucket as the origin, and ACM (Amazon Certificate Manager) to create an SSL certificate for the site; I have been able to secure their websites with SSL, setup a Content Delivery Network for them, and host their websites for around a dollar per month.

I am also using S3 as a data backup and archival solution for a few clients that wanted to also have an off-site backup of their data being performed. The best part is, that the cost of storage is low, and I'm able to offer data encryption while in transit to or from S3 and I can provide encryption at rest for my client's sensitive data. I have also paired glacier with S3 to create a data lifecycle policy for my clients to offer longer term storage options at a significantly reduced price point over Standard-S3 storage.

Amazon S3 review by <span>David H.</span>
David H.

"AWS/S3: so cheap you'd be nuts to buy hard drives"

What do you like best?

Back in the day 500MB hard disk were the size of coffee tables, weighed close to 300 lbs and cost over $20,000. These days AWS will charge you 2 cents per GB per month and you never have to worry about a dead drive again.

Oh you can also use S3 as a static store for web pages which is incredibly easy and much, much more cost effective than using either a dedicated server or a database.

What do you dislike?

Accessing large volumes of data can be costly if your users are far from which ever availability zone you selected to host your S3 data ... but given how cheap AWS's storage is and how little it costs to replicate this is a pretty easily solved problem.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you know where the primary users/accessors of the data you will be storing on S3 are and then select the availability zone accordingly. There are network charges associated with S3 data transfer; they are very low but can add-up. If, for example, your data is stored in Northern Virginia, but the primary accesses are from Europe these data access changes will b high than if the data were places in an availability zone closer to your intended users.

- Static file storage

- large asset (movie, audio, etc) storage

Amazon S3 review by <span>Ashish G.</span>
Ashish G.

"Best cloud based storage service for static and dynamic contents of web application"

What do you like best?

Amazon S3 is a simple web services interface that is be used to store and retrieve any data of your web application at cheap price. Amazon S3 is best in terms of stargaze of large objects. S3 provides ease of integration with third-party applications, always availability, Static website hosting, data security, Backup and archiving of any kind of data at nominal pricing.

What do you dislike?

Amazon S3 doesn't work great when multiple parallel request arrives to retrieve an object. There are some issues with root domain hosting using Amazon S3 to host a static website. Accessing logs and archived data is a bit tricky, but manageable. Securing files in Amazon S3 is confusing because its bucket policy is tricky to learn and implement.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend Amazon S3 to all junior and senior level developers. It is Very simple and easy to use cloud based storage. Amazon S3 provides objects level and folder level security. Amazon S3 provides a Bucket concept to categorize your contents based on development , testing and production environment. Amazon S3 is the best in terms of high availability, high scalability, high security and also cost effective.

I am using amazon S3 to store dynamic content of my web application like user images, pdfs, word documents, videos and zip files. It provides fast and secure access to files and documents stored in cloud and easy to implement in majority of back end server Amazon S3 has excellent documentation.

Learning about Amazon S3?

* We monitor all Amazon S3 reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.