Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3)

Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) is storage for the Internet. A simple web services interface used to store and retrieve any amount of data, at any time, from anywhere on the web.

Work for Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3)?

Learning about Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3)?

Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) Reviews

Showing 193 Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) reviews
Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3)
Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) review by Bob S.
Bob S.

"Best Place for Storage inside or outside of your products"

What do you like best?

I like thatS3 is so versatile to store information within a product, or from any other location. It can be made available online and also has rules which auto delete information after a specific period of time.

Ability to access from web, cli, applications, etc...

What do you dislike?

Years ago some of the documentation was a little confusing with buckets and key to access objects. While abstracting out normal files storage words like folders and location it could have been a bit clearer.... But after a bit of playing around, you are completely find with buckets and keys to objects...

Recommendations to others considering the product

Start the migration to S3 now, it will keep your data safe and secure in a very simple solutions that anyone can use...

A very cost effective and secure solutions to store, transfer, archive, retrieve, distribute, and anything else with data/files/etc.

We store our own files, our customers files, archive builds, products, solutions, etc.

Outside of work I store pictures, music, movies, files and pretty much anything else I want to access from multiple locations and keep secure in case of data loss in home or at work.

What Storage Management solution do you use?

Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) review by Brad C.
Brad C.

"Scaleable, Cost effective but you have to be willing to learn on your own or pay for premium support"

What do you like best?

A cost effective way to host larger media (in my case, mostly iSpring online elearning lessons) without having to upgrade my server hosting capacity. Once set up, the interface is easy to navigate and reliable. The uploading interface and feedback is outstanding and the best I have ever experienced. Their rates are extremely competitive (I also considered digital ocean) and I am satisfied with my choice.

What do you dislike?

There is a learning curve when you are getting it set up and you have to be willing to pay if you need even the most basic support from a human. Considering what they charge, this is reasonable. The free tier is genius on their part because they give you a full year (up to a certain threshold which I hit in month 4 from very heavy use) so you get everything integrated and set up before you have a good estimate of what it is going to cost. Based on their "vertical integration" with their other services, it seems that most technologically literate people are who use this mostly since I wouldn't have a clue how to use any of what they try to upsell me on (other than the support haha)

Recommendations to others considering the product

I am glad I did it but be willing to Google to learn the ropes and get set up. Once you have passed that initial learning curve, it is a breeze to use and very inexpensive. they are transparent with their billing as well.

We were worried about scaling issues if our business grew too quickly or existing users would be using our services more than forecasted. Instead of having to pay through the nose for more intense web hosting for the rest of the site, we integrated Amazon S3 for hosting all of our bandwidth heavy items.

Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) review by Travis G.
Travis G.

"S3 Cloud Storage"

What do you like best?

My favorite feature of S3 (Amazon's Cloud Storage) is split between 2 things. 1) The extremely high durability of data. AWS's S3 storage provides "11 - nines" of durability. That's 99.9999999% durability!!! When you consider that level of durability: (being calculated as follows) 10 million objects will incur a single (as in 1) lost object about once every 10 thousand years and you factor how competitive the price point is for S3/per GB when compared to other (less durable) storage solutions it became clear to me that I wanted to utilize S3 for my data storage solution. The second 2) feature that I like best is that S3 can be fully managed with API calls. Meaning I can develop an in-house software, program, or script that allows me to interact with my data programmatically versus having to use a GUI or web interface. (Those options still exist, but aren't the "only" way to interact with S3.) It's an incredibly powerful and useful tool to have programmatic access to your data.

What do you dislike?

I hate to be 'that guy' that doesn't have any negatives, but so far from my use of the S3 service; in production, testing, and development workloads, I have yet to come across anything that is an outright negative for me personally. If AWS could lower the price of the service that would be great, but we can't really expect such a service to be completely free.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Other considerations for administrative users of the product, permissions can be set in a few different places; this is the reason I gave the Ease of Use, Setup, and Admin less than a perfect score. IAM is used for creating users, groups, and roles. Ideally, you will mostly be settings permissions for S3 there on a per-user or per-group basis by attaching roles to the users or groups. However, under each bucket there are additional permissions settings that exist. ACL's, Bucket Policies (JSON format), and CORS. These additional settings option can really get you into hot-water if you are unsure of the settings here. If you perform a quick Google search with terms like, "S3 bucket policy data breaches" you will find tons of instances where someone did not set the bucket settings correctly and hackers were able to access data or worse from incorrect settings. Please, just for the sake of data security read up on S3 best practices if you are unsure how to setup these buckets.

I have been able to help clients host their static websites in S3. I have setup multiple S3 buckets, paired with a Route 53 (DNS) record, CloudFront (CDN) pointing to the S3 bucket as the origin, and ACM (Amazon Certificate Manager) to create an SSL certificate for the site; I have been able to secure their websites with SSL, setup a Content Delivery Network for them, and host their websites for around a dollar per month.

I am also using S3 as a data backup and archival solution for a few clients that wanted to also have an off-site backup of their data being performed. The best part is, that the cost of storage is low, and I'm able to offer data encryption while in transit to or from S3 and I can provide encryption at rest for my client's sensitive data. I have also paired glacier with S3 to create a data lifecycle policy for my clients to offer longer term storage options at a significantly reduced price point over Standard-S3 storage.

Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) review by David H.
David H.

"AWS/S3: so cheap you'd be nuts to buy hard drives"

What do you like best?

Back in the day 500MB hard disk were the size of coffee tables, weighed close to 300 lbs and cost over $20,000. These days AWS will charge you 2 cents per GB per month and you never have to worry about a dead drive again.

Oh you can also use S3 as a static store for web pages which is incredibly easy and much, much more cost effective than using either a dedicated server or a database.

What do you dislike?

Accessing large volumes of data can be costly if your users are far from which ever availability zone you selected to host your S3 data ... but given how cheap AWS's storage is and how little it costs to replicate this is a pretty easily solved problem.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you know where the primary users/accessors of the data you will be storing on S3 are and then select the availability zone accordingly. There are network charges associated with S3 data transfer; they are very low but can add-up. If, for example, your data is stored in Northern Virginia, but the primary accesses are from Europe these data access changes will b high than if the data were places in an availability zone closer to your intended users.

- Static file storage

- large asset (movie, audio, etc) storage

Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) review by Ashish G.
Ashish G.

"Best cloud based storage service for static and dynamic contents of web application"

What do you like best?

Amazon S3 is a simple web services interface that is be used to store and retrieve any data of your web application at cheap price. Amazon S3 is best in terms of stargaze of large objects. S3 provides ease of integration with third-party applications, always availability, Static website hosting, data security, Backup and archiving of any kind of data at nominal pricing.

What do you dislike?

Amazon S3 doesn't work great when multiple parallel request arrives to retrieve an object. There are some issues with root domain hosting using Amazon S3 to host a static website. Accessing logs and archived data is a bit tricky, but manageable. Securing files in Amazon S3 is confusing because its bucket policy is tricky to learn and implement.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend Amazon S3 to all junior and senior level developers. It is Very simple and easy to use cloud based storage. Amazon S3 provides objects level and folder level security. Amazon S3 provides a Bucket concept to categorize your contents based on development , testing and production environment. Amazon S3 is the best in terms of high availability, high scalability, high security and also cost effective.

I am using amazon S3 to store dynamic content of my web application like user images, pdfs, word documents, videos and zip files. It provides fast and secure access to files and documents stored in cloud and easy to implement in majority of back end server Amazon S3 has excellent documentation.

Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) review by Keith B.
Keith B.

"Very fast, powerful, versatile, and cost-effective solution for mass online storage."

What do you like best?

High reliability in terms of availability and uptime, which is essential.

It is easy to use, both standalone and to integrate with other applications.

Multiple different security options and configurations make it easy to create areas and files which are publicly accessible, as well as ones which can only be accessed either by specific people / groups, or for specific windows of time. This makes it idea both for general storage, and also for the sharing of more private information.

My greatest use of S3 is for podcast storage/serving, and for integration with my Wordpress-based sites.

It works very well in both cases - you can make use of their feature - rich API, or of the plethora of plugins available.

What do you dislike?

Generating time-sensitive URLs is harder than it ought to be, although this is pretty quickly overcome using a plugin.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Remember that S3 data are not owned by you, so make sure you keep your own local copy of all data just in case of any issues or data loss!

Take a little time upfront to map out your intended data structures, as it is harder to rearrange later.

Using it for several different things -

Backup storage space for off-site backup of certain files.

Speeding up websites by storing and serving files from S3 rather than own server, makes things much faster (especially when used in conjunction with a CDN);

Serving podcast recordings;

Sharing files with clients;

Distributing digital products once purchased

Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) review by Rahul C.
Rahul C.

"Use AWS S3 to make better products"

What do you like best?

Amazon simple storage service is an highly-scalable business enterprise solution. It can be used in many ways to build a business solution. The best thing is it's pretty cheap to use S3 for any business solution. You can store big data over s3 and it is very easy to use some API and fetch those data when required. Another thing is you can integrate s3 with other AWS components and build a full solution over AWS. S3 can be used to store many Terabytes of data with ease and you can always fetch it. S3 stores data in the compressed format so you need not worry about the compression and it is managed to date wise files so you can always fetch it date wise. We personally use Python packages to fetch and manage s3 and it's very reliable.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing to dislike about Amazon S3. In beginning, you would feel that it's not easy to use, configure, fetch data. But after you learn you would feel its a piece of cake. Just some simple steps would build a full-fledged solution.

Recommendations to others considering the product

New features are still unknown to many users just need proper documentation on use of all components and features

We are using it for different logging purpose. Integrating it with CloudFront and serving different data over the website. It is also used to optimize the website speed as the static components can be put over S3 and would be served by CloudFront.

Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) review by Prashant T.
Prashant T.

"Simply Works !!"

What do you like best?

Its easy, simple to use and super cheap. Also it allows us faster load times as most of the contents are stored in the same data centers where our app servers are running too.

What do you dislike?

Permission model should be more user friendly. The user interface looks very old. The cli sometimes breaks without proper error codes that makes it harder to debug. Also, it creates a huge dependency , if it goes down, our deploys wont happen, and it always creates some concerns for us.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Cheap and works. No brainer.

Upload all secrets to S3. We pull them down during deployment and then shove them as environment variables. The benefit is that it allows us to use aws to store secret keys and use them during our deployment pipelines.

Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) review by Brian D.
Brian D.

"S3 is an effective storage solution"

What do you like best?

The web interface makes it very easy to upload/share files across EC2 servers.

What do you dislike?

There are hidden bandwidth/request costs that add up if you are making a large number of API calls or downloading large amounts of data.

Recommendations to others considering the product

S3 has a number of different storage-tier options depending on how long you plan to store your data and how frequently you need to access it. If you will be using S3 heavily and want to make sure you're not spending too much, you should do some analysis to figure out which tier will give you the most cost-efficient storage backend. In this analysis, be sure to take into account your access patterns, as S3 also charges for API calls on top of storage usage.

We primarily use S3 to share configuration files across EC2 servers in our cluster. This makes it easy for us to effect changes to our cluster configuration without needing to re-image all of our servers. AWS access policies allows us to share these configuration files securely by restricting all but necessary permissions to read/write these files from individual servers. It also makes hosting static websites outside of our primary infrastructure a breeze.

Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) review by Swapnil S.
Swapnil S.

"Probably the Best Cloud Storage Management!!"

What do you like best?

It is inexpensive and secure when setup properly. Easy to learn with a lot of documentation readily available for it. Once you have done the setup correctly, all you need to do is sit back and see your job done in a precise automated fashion.

What do you dislike?

Folder structure and added services may be hard to people new to AWS. There are overlapping product functionalities, and names may be misleading/uninformative. API based documentations are missing and hard to do.

Also, It would be nice if we could map a bucket as a network drive; right now we are using a 3rd party product as a gateway between the on premise and the cloud to allow our on premise applications to drop files that the cloud applications can pick up.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a great product that is very easy to work with and can be used for business and personal file storage. You will never have to worry about the size of your hard drive again but if working with APIs (integration) then it could be a bit difficult as I have found. Otherwise, go for it.!

The Key Factors that I felt are great are -

-Not much Expensive

-Efficient management of data

-Improved business process agility

-Automated Bucket Transactions, once defined

-Improve business process outcomes

-Larger Storage Areas and proper/easy queue management

Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) review by JENNY DEL CARMEN E.
JENNY DEL CARMEN E.

"VERY RELIABLE AND EASY TO USE SOFTWARE"

What do you like best?

It allows us to upload all our data to Amazon Data Centers without worrying about any kind of limit. Photos, videos. One of the strengths of S3 is its transparency when it comes to hosting our data. We will never have to worry about the storage capacity of our account, as we will have a single container with virtually unlimited capacity. The more we store, the more we pay. Scalability is a concept that with S3 becomes superfluous. Amazon is already taking care of new machines and more storage units for us, and making everything work without us being aware of it. The files are saved in buckets, which then contain the folders and files we store. The most interesting thing is to integrate it with the REST API that S3 provides us from programming, since for example, we can from an EC2 server generate a large file that we automatically serve from S3 and free the EC2 server to serve it. A very important addition is the inclusion of CloudFront, which is a CDN for S3 that allows us to replicate the file worldwide and thanks to the same download URL, download it from the server closest to the user. The best thing is that this process is completely transparent to the developer, and simply by activating it from the CloudFront control panel we would already have it working.

What do you dislike?

Access to storage management on Amazon S3 is via web interface services that present the information stored in the cubes. However, this interface does not contain any order or search functions within the cubes themselves. This can cause problems when locating a file inside cubes with a large number of documents. In addition, the cube names are global, so when using simple names such as "abc", "storage", or "documents", it is likely that they have already been used and particular character combinations will have to be made.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Amazon offers several security services, including certificate management, encryption tools, hardware security modules to store private keys, and Web application firewalls. AWS native tools such as elastic load balancers (ELBs) can be used, to some extent, to mitigate DoS or DD attacks as the application is maintained because the ELB scales to multiple instances

From my point of view, Amazon has given a big push to all developers to facilitate a revolution in the web world. From now on, maintenance and infrastructure costs will not be a problem for all those who are thinking of developing a project with a great need for data storage. For an almost ridiculous price we'll have a mass storage service, high availability, and no need to worry about escalating.

In other words, in general terms, it is a fast, highly available and economical system.

Regarding its use, by default we will have three users: Owner (referring to the user who hosted the file), Authenticated Users (referring to users authenticated on Amazon), Everyone (referring to all non-authenticated users, that is to say, any client on the whole Internet). Although we will be able to add new S3 users with specific permissions for our data, it assures us 99.9% availability, which equals any high availability system we can hire, and would return up to 25% of our turnover in the event of a decrease in availability below 99%... Additionally, it has an API for the communication of our applications with S3, which accepts HTTP Request requests encrypted with Crypt/HMAC. Each access we make to this API must be validated by two keys that Amazon provides us and that, together with a hash based on a temporary seed, access information, and the destination key, generate a signature that the system will validate.

These HTTP requests will allow us to upload files, modify permissions, delete objects, create buckets... In short, all the necessary actions to manage our S3

Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) review by Ferran C.
Ferran C.

"Almacenamiento en la nube de la mano de Amazon"

What do you like best?

Esta plataforma ofrece un servicio genial. Te permite almacenar en la nube de manera dinámica (contratas el almacenamiento que realmente usas) todo tipo de archivos de la manera que tu prefieras.

Su sistema de login ofrece una gran seguridad al ir con diversas claves y usuarios.

What do you dislike?

Puede ser un poco complicado acceder si pierdes alguna de las claves que usas. Realmente es un sistema muy bueno y no destaco demasiados errores.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Un sistema muy potente. Y como se suele decir, un gran poder conlleva una gran responsabilidad. Recomiendo encarecidamente tener una buena organización porque puedes llegar a perderte entre tantos ficheros.

Utilizamos S3 para almacenar todos los mails que enviamos a nuestros clientes, teniendo un registro continuo de millones de ellos desde 2015 hasta la actualidad.

Tenemos también almacenados todas las fotos que aparecen en la web, los vídeos y otros documentos útiles para la empresa.

Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) review by Dan O.
Dan O.

"Versatile File Storage Facility "

What do you like best?

It is so versatile, you'll find that you'll end up using it for backups, log files and also distribution of files to end consumers through a C-Name to brand the file distribution under your domain name.

What do you dislike?

I've used Amazon S3 for a long time, and it's come on a long way in that time from having to access through third party clients such as Cloudberry, however, the web-interface still requires a small amount of technical knowledge. A quick to access desktop version of the web-interface would be useful for quick distribution of business files.

To store backups, hold log files, configuration settings and distribute files to customers (setup files, graphics and PDF resources) . Amazon S3 provides access to reliable data storage and fast distribution.

Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) review by Derron L.
Derron L.

"Easy to use Cloud Storage"

What do you like best?

I like the fact that S3 just wasn't for simple storage but rather a full storage service. One can use S3 to storage anything from photos to interacting with Mobile Services/API's. S3 is fairly straight forward to configure, well documented and reliable. S3 is very affordable and should suit most small businesses budget. Even in the "terabyte" range it is still cheaper compared to many other cloud storage providers.

What do you dislike?

At times, the retrieval at data can incur some delay. Its best if these are frequently accessed files, to have them be cached using a CDN (eg. cloudfront). Having to use third party applications to upload to you storage buckets might deter a novice user. Importantly, S3 only servers static content, so dynamic pages (eg. php) still requires a web server. Finally, bucket names have to be unique, so trying to create a name that you like might take a little bit of time, somewhat like trying to find that perfect domain name.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great Product. Well Documented. Cheap. Reliable. Supported by many third party file management applications. Overall S3 is a great product for simple file storage but can easily be used for large applications as main storage.

We use S3 to store data for custom built applications. This works great for us as its very affordable, always available and easily integrates into our application. S3, also ties in easily with amazon's CDN so scaling on demand is pretty straight forward.

Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) review by Tong (Tony) J.
Tong (Tony) J.

"S3, yet another great cloud service from AWS"

What do you like best?

Part of AWS, easy to use, REST API support, library support in many languages.

What do you dislike?

Some parts are non-standard and could confuse people if they don't pay attention to detail. For example, people sometimes think that the ETag is always just the MD5 sum of the file, but actually the ETag value depends on upload method and encryption method, and may not actually be the MD5.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use in conjunction with other services, such as Lambda, to fully leverage the file upload and store pipeline to include file processing as well.

Easy way to store files up in the cloud, and download and access them with file IDs stored else where, such as in a table.

Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) review by Vadim P.
Vadim P.

"Great container storage"

What do you like best?

AWS S3 has a great API and a lot of integrations, we love it. a lot of options for disks types. Ok to use for a junior and senior level developers.

What do you dislike?

The main part of the service is not cheap. You need to read a lot of documentation before start using it. There are hidden request costs that add up if you are making a large number of API calls or downloading large amounts of data.

Recommendations to others considering the product

They have 1 year trial, you can test it for free!)

container storage and simple storage. Backup storage space for off-site backup of certain files. Sharing files with clients;

Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) review by Rafal P.
Rafal P.

"Great service for your business"

What do you like best?

That you only pay for what you use. And you have possibility to restrict access to specific resources. Also number of out of the box integrations is something you should be happy about.

What do you dislike?

Sadly access can be only restricted by some static IP list, no way for some more complicated ideas like only restricting to specific "Security Group". The web interface, is very rough. No many options to filter/find files you store in S3. The "Simple" word from name: Simple Storage Service (extension of S3). Is there in purpose. I don't like that when changing some settings for bucket or resource I'm not able to retrieve historical settings with details who was author of that particular change. That would be very useful to be able to retrieve such informations.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's so cheap and no brainer service that you have to use it. For keeping all data you would normally put to your hard disk of your servers. You receive control over who is able to access them + you are sure in 99.99% that you won't loose them. Availability is excellent.

We use it to keep our application files like uploaded avatars, as a cache for generated PDFs for invoices of our customers and to store backups of our applications. And to store static files (HTML/JS/CSS) with documentation for our API which we then share with customers. With S3 we do not need to have separate instance to serve static content. And we pay only fraction of cost for that usage. The price is always based on the usage/consumption of traffic and storage.

Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) review by User in Internet

"An infinite scaling key-value store for your large binary data"

What do you like best?

S3 is a "infinite scaling" key-value store for textual and binary data. It's not a database (doesn't provide features and latency of a DB), but more like a distributed file system where you can store large data and access it via an HTTP interface (or the AWS console, the API or cli), designed to be store and retrieve data reliably.

What I love the most? It works. It's probably one of the most solid AWS products (thanks also to the facts of being the oldest one, if I'm not mistaken). Over the time, AWS introduced many great features, like the ability to host static websites on S3, fine-granted access control, access logs, and so on. All features are very useful if you start building products on top of it.

What do you dislike?

In my opinion, it's quite difficult to have a quick overview on public objects inside a private bucket. Let me explain: S3 buckets have a default ACL (private or public), but single objects can override it, so you can have public objects on private buckets. When a bucket contains a lot of objects (from hundred thousands to millions) it's tricky to check if - for any reason (ie. mistake, software bug, ...) - there are public objects in private buckets. This should be improved.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I strongly recommend S3.

We use S3 to store web assets (ie. CSS, JS, images, ...), fully static websites, audio files, backups and basically any binary data for which we need a reliable and durable storage.

Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) review by Michael C.
Michael C.

"Rich Features from a Powerful Product"

What do you like best?

The features provided by Amazon S3 are many, powerful, rich, and diverse. Powerful in that I have enough utility when I use S3 to maximize the ability of my web apps, exclusively with S3. Many, as is obvious that there are more features than I have had to explore, each of which I am excited to navigate and learn how to utilize. Rich as the depth of each feature is incredible. And, diverse which alike the fact there are many, in that the features cover a broad spectrum of web development utility.

What do you dislike?

Initially, my most prominent dislike was the difficulty of navigation between features and between my buckets. Once I conquered that, I struggled with understanding the capabilities of my keys. So generally it was a learning curve, similar to learning any technology.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do it.

I am solving developer operations problems of scaling my web application. I have realized through utilizing S3 features from the cloud, I can make the most of my time, and focus on improving my product as a result.

Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) review by Adam .
Adam .

"Swiss army knife in storage solutions "

What do you like best?

It's virtually unlimited, gives you 99.999999999% durability and very high accessibility and if configured correctly could be cheap as chips. Great CLI and API. It's mature and super reliable solution with a lot of additional features like: static web hosting, versioning, lifecycle policies and storage classes (which allow you to lower the price even more). It's deeply integrated with a lot of other AWS solutions giving you wide range of usage schemas: from storing logs to website hosting and backups.

What do you dislike?

Incomplete Multipart Uploads handling - if you forget about it it could cost you. Web UI could be better but it was improved lately and it's going in the right direction.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Reliable, highly available and extremely flexible object storage solution.

Storing logs, backups and data archiving, static web hosting.

Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) review by Aaron H.
Aaron H.

"Amazon S3 Review"

What do you like best?

Availability and scale are important. As a manager of an online video library, S3 allows us to host registration and payments on our own dedicated systems and store large files for video using S3 for CloudFront streaming while controlling access to it. I also like the offsite file storage capabilities. Having a unlimited file repository that can be made public or private via permissions is very important to us. S3 allows us to store, host and process files as needed in a secure manner.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I dislike about the S3 file buckets is there is some slowness in transferring a large file into the edge CloudFront location if the file is extra large and is not regularly accessed. I have not looked in the last year, but there was not an easy way to keep these files cached using a valid until type header reliably. Sometimes our end users had buffering issues until the file was fully loaded once. I did not see this issue when transferring from our own dedicated server, but this was 4 years ago and this may be resolved now.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Time. Some software systems I administer do no offer robust plugins for S3 yet. This is changing however and Amazon provides the service we need.

We save in infrastructure. In combination with CloudFront, out system is flexible and is minimized when not in use and can support a nearly unlimited number of customers when we need it without paying for the excess idle hardware.

Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) review by Patrick H.
Patrick H.

"Rock solid storage at a great price"

What do you like best?

It's fast, easy and ridiculously reliable. I use the S3 browser to do everything from my desktop for the most part. We also link several utilities to it to push backup files up there nightly. Never have to worry about a thing.

What do you dislike?

You kinda have to be technical to use it. It's not for everyone. You will have to be able to understand basic technology and transfer protocols.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's not super easy to use but once it's up and running it's worry free. It's super consistent and cost effective. If you need them to admin it for you is will get very expensive though. You really need to have someone on your team that is a system admin to properly use most of their services. If you do, you are in great shape. If you don't, you'd better have a checkbook ready. Their support, for the most part, consists of a callback service and they are pretty reliable and quick about it. Their people are really professional and patient. Bottom line: you get what you pay for and if you want the best you have to pay for the best.

We mitigate risk by nightly pushing site backups (full and partial) to the S3. We are able to keep versions up there in the event we ever need to dial it back. Very easy and it saves us a lot of money in cloud storage.

Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) review by Administrator in Publishing
Administrator in Publishing

"Almost always dependable S3"

What do you like best?

The usability, performance, and dependability of S3. The S3 platform has more configuration features that I can use and cover almost every use case.

What do you dislike?

Though there are a ton of automation potential I would like to see more automation around templating and standardizing buckets and objects. For example, if you're running a large number of websites off of S3 the ability to have a standard configuration, tagging, permissions, auditing and event setup would be great. This does exist if you create one base bucket and have the rest of the buckets match it but that is a policy that you can only apply when you initially create the resources. You cannot apply that policy to existing buckets without some effort

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider your use cases and if you're going to have a large number of buckets try to have them standardized. Take advantage of s3 events to add more power to your system.

Fast and cost-efficient way to store and access our static files

Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) review by Vamshi P.
Vamshi P.

"De-facto standard for cloud storage"

What do you like best?

S3 is literally the place where most of public enterprise data is stored. Being the first player in cloud segment they are the market leader. They beat hands down other products like Azure Blobs and Google FS in terms of scalability, reliability.

S3 is cheap. You only pay couple of dollars for accessing and storing a terabyte.

Solid security and integrates neatly with other AWS tools like IAM roles and users. Bucket policies ensure that bucket is only accessed by users who have proper security credentials.

What do you dislike?

Reading from S3 is slow. Still better compared to other alternatives.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Currently the best cloud storage service you can get in the market.

Cloud storage.

Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) review by Erik R.
Erik R.

"Really Cheap and scalable key value storage"

What do you like best?

It's no limit and cheap for storing large key values. We use it to store post contents that are also web accessible, so we mostly pay for a lot of writes. The storage price is insanely cheap for a comparable database (price per GB), but the writes are expensive for the usage. It's super easy to scale out, just pick a different region or Availability Zone, and you're safe.

What do you dislike?

The pricing for writes. If you create a lot of objects that is where the cost will be an issue. That also means deleting objects will be expensive. For us that is a huge red flag, since once the data is up there it would cost boatloads to get out of there.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Checkout Backblaze B2, as it is half the price of Amazon S3.

We run an RSS service and store the contents of the posts in S3. Previously we were using a MySQL database, but it would end up being a headache when disk constantly runs out, and we needed to write processes to clean up posts that were seldomly used. Now that storage is sooo cheap, we don't have to worry at all about old posts, since they cost next to nothing when they are up there.

Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Web data on the Data Web : Amazon S3"

What do you like best?

The provided options that are available for the S3 bucket objects is amazing. You might be wondering that you are actually navigating inside on folder and then further, but this is not the case. Everything on the S3 is an object itself, and the folder address we see is a virtual address for the file. If you need any jars, or any code that you want as a backup, but it needs to be deployed as well, you can keep it in the bucket and can give the URL of the file while deploying, or directly point to S3. But it is not finished yet, the most amazing part that I found was triggers. Imagine a scenario where you want an API to be called as soon as any file enters a particular folder. This happens on the S3 bucket. You can customize your trigger for events, like a file update, or delete, and then point the action to wherever you want. Call an API, maybe or call a lambda function, that is up to you.

What do you dislike?

The one disadvantage to that I felt strong about S3 is that it does not allow you to specify a “root object” or a default such as “index.html” to be the default file shown when someone views your S3 bucket’s URL . Also, S3 does not allow for dynamic content such as PHP files to be executed, meaning that you can only store static content. For this reason, you may still need to hold onto your traditional hosting in order to execute PHP scripts & MySQL. But you could again deploy them in ECS or RDS and point to those according to your comfort.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If your project/product is bound financially, then storage on AWS S3 might be a little heavy for you to consider. Else, it will deliver above expectations.

We have been keeping code Backups, jars for deployment, Amazon Lambda code, triggering Automatic mails using AWS SNS,etc. These have helped a lot in getting the work done at faster speeds. You do not need to setup your own SMTP server to send mails to your subscribers. It is very UI friendly and a mail system setup for n number of users can be done within 15-20 minutes or even less. Managing data, and accessing it programmatically has actually helped a lot in increasing delivery speed and is extremely beneficial for Agile.

Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) review by James G.
James G.

"Fantastic way to store files in an easy-to-access API."

What do you like best?

I really like the ease of use via the API - both 3rd party bindings (We use Fog for Ruby) and the awscli provided by Amazon.

What do you dislike?

I dislike how confusing the pricing structure is. There are several options, and I hope that they are able to slim the variety down.

At my day job, we use Amazon Super Simple Storage Service ("S3") for our file storage and are preparing to roll out the CDN integration with CloudFront. The business problem is that we store large files (customer artwork) and retrieve it 2-3 times, but still need to hold onto it until the customer deletes it from their account (so archival isn't an option). GlusterFS and similar options that allow you to create a scalable network filesystem are too complex for our scenario, and the overhead on our small team would be massive. S3 fits the bill by being easy to deploy, use and manage. Previously, I spent 2-3 hours a week tending our network filesystem, and I'm really glad that Amazon S3 has taken this load off our plate and allowed us to focus on delivering value instead of managing a filesystem.

Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) review by Warren D.
Warren D.

"Easy way to store documents and video for team access"

What do you like best?

Amazon's S3 - Simple Storage Service is a very easy way to store documents, images and videos in the cloud. I have a 6 person team all able to access and add to our document repository. Additionally, I'm a big fan of how documents are categorized into different categories depending on how often they are accessed. This makes it easy to find regularly used files and different levels of archived documents based on how long they've been inactive. It's really useful. I use Amazon's AWS service which allows web services to pull from the S3 storage database as well. Nice and easy integration.

What do you dislike?

The aesthetic design of S3 is somewhat lacking. While it is an easy to use system that isn't full of bells and whistles, the design of the pages could be be brought up to speed. It's not very appealing, but it does serve its purpose.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Very easy solution to use, but may not be the cheapest solution if you need it ONLY for cloud storage. We use it for web requests to that content as well which makes it much more valuable for me and my colleagues.

Amazon S3 has allowed me and my colleagues to easily access each other's documents in a secure cloud setting and also allow our web site visitors to access, via AWS, the video files we host in S3. It's a simple to use, easily accessible, low cost cloud storage solution.

Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) review by Natalia K.
Natalia K.

"S3 is a convenient way of storing static data"

What do you like best?

- It is a reliable, scalable and cost effective solution

- provides a very simple way of accessing and managing data

- the integration with other web services is straight forward using REST

- it is possible to use it for static sites

- it supports object versioning, that cold be quite useful

What do you dislike?

It should be kept in mind that the file retrieving can increase the price and as a result it can lead to a higher spend than expected. Also the default limit of buckets per account is 100, but for must people it won't be an issue.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a great cloud storage solution, that is reliable, easy to use and highly scalable. You definitely should consider using it, especially if you are using other amazon services

It is a great solution for companies or personal use to store large amount of data. I'm mainly using it to store static content of web applications and various backups. I found it quite easy to integrate with one of my web applications to store all its static content like videos and images

Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) review by jayanath K.
jayanath K.

"pleasant so far"

What do you like best?

i like that there are multiple data-centers around the world which means that my users can access my content way More Faster.

What do you dislike?

i dislike that my content is not well secure which means that it's not encrypted and can easily be accessed by the government in case they wanted to look inside my content,and can be scanned by Amazon algorithm.

Recommendations to others considering the product

i recommend to New people who are considering to switch to S3 to learn how to navigate their way in as the AWS interface can be overwhelming and once they pass that everything would look very easy and simple

the most important thing to me is that my content can be accessed way more faster using the s3 and also the High uptime that s3 Provide which makes it the most reliable.

Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) review by User in Internet

"Flexible, Reliable and Safe Cloud Storage for Any Online Business"

What do you like best?

The multitude of apps available to interact with S3 and make it easier to use. There are software apps to transfer files, backup computers, servers, with both short term and long term storage options.

What do you dislike?

Natively, it is a nightmare for beginners and non-technical users to figure out how to use S3. But if you can navigate software, there are apps to help you with that.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Highly recommend S3 for anyone with an online business, or someone that wants flexible, low cost cloud storage. If you are not technical, use one of the many software apps created for interaction with S3 or ask someone technically inclined to setup and run any backups to S3 for you. You can't beat the price or reliability of S3, highly recommended.

Backup of important files, distribution of software, backup of USB storage devices locally, ebooks and other digital products for most of the websites and clients websites we run.

Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) review by SHAILESH P.
SHAILESH P.

"Aewsome service for storage on S3"

What do you like best?

The ease of use with amazon S3 is the best thing. Customization is also one of the key point. Really useful to for debugging purposes for developers.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes, S3 browser doesn't work correctly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Absolutely, with minimum cost you get unlimited storage to use.

We are getting unlimited storage on S3 and hence we are less worried about space issue on our own servers. Easy to use, customization and ease of browsing data in S3. As a developer i solve the purpose of what files are being stored everyday and can easily check the S3 and verify it.

Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) review by Mohamad S.
Mohamad S.

"Best cloud storage service"

What do you like best?

External hard drive in the cloud which allows you to easily organize your data in buckets. I love that you can set permissions so not all team members can access everything.

The durability of the storage is quoted as being able to survive concurrent faults, which is absolutely awesome. You can also set life cycle rules to automatically migrate files that auto generate (logs for us).

What do you dislike?

Domain name being in bucket name format is a bit of an issue. You also need to be aware that at some point the server might restart, so you have to have back ups.

Improving healthcare outcomes through the use of technology. S3 has vastly improved our ability to focus on business problems instead of worrying about hardware/storage.

Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) review by Sri Divya N.
Sri Divya N.

"Easy to understand and use"

What do you like best?

The ease of use and maintenance is one of the best features of S3.

The bucket creation and maintenance process is very easy and hence anybody with a basic understanding of S3 usage will be able to store any kind of data.

The interruptions happen rarely and the stored data is very easy to access.

What do you dislike?

There are certain issues with the connection and it can be interrupted at times. But the user will not know immediately if the connection is interrupted. AWS keeps giving error messages but does not let you know even if the session has ended because of the interruption.

There are too many parameters that you do not know or understand when you use it initially and the documentation provided by AWS is not very good.

Recommendations to others considering the product

it is very easy to understand once you get the initial setup done. Storing data is very easy and one would not need additional training to maintain the system after the initial setup is done.

For companies who need to maintain large amounts of data, this is one of the best options if it is in your price range.

Storing and maintaining large amount of data

Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) review by Craig N.
Craig N.

"A great, versatile, and affordable storage solution"

What do you like best?

S3 is an awesome storage solution that is by no means just "storage". Think of S3 as more of a super-awesome, cost-effective SAN/NAS device. You can use it as storage for EC2, you can also host HTML right from S3 without even needing to start an EC2 server. You can use it to deliver video streams, perform content delivery in conjunction with CLoudFront, You can use it to share files, you can use it as a back-up service, and I could go on all day about all the uses.

What do you dislike?

I really don't have any dislikes. The sharing ability isn't that easy if you attempt to utilize it as a cloud drive like GoogleDrive/OneDrive, but it is not intended to be used that way anyways. Just don't get confused. This is a versatile storage solution.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Explore all of the capabilities and plan accordingly. It is really a drag when you get that light above your head an go "OH!! I could have used S3 for this..." Then have to tear apart your app & infrastructure :)

This solves upfront equipment costs, data centre costs, and saves in the cost of having a backup/disaster recovery solution in place while having a peace of mind that my data is safe, secure, and capable of being delivered a lot faster than if I did it myself.

Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) review by Venkatesh W.
Venkatesh W.

"Highly flexible cloud storage service with simple interfacing to other Amazon Web Services"

What do you like best?

1. Easy to use. I've used it through Python SDK, Android SDK and AWS CLI

2. Provides easy interface to Glacier, for long-term back ups

3. When it comes to data transfer rate between EC2 and S3, it's just unbelievable and super fast.

4. When it comes to access and permissions, it has got good features like bucket policy etc

What do you dislike?

Free tier storage space is up to 5 GB only, other than that I can't think of any negative side of S3.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Easy to use and flexible one stop shop for all your cloud based storage needs, if you're targetting AI, Machine Learning, Data analytics based applications.

Working on deep learning and IoT based projects. S3 acts as wonderful cloud storage and gels well with EC2. While text data can be published using IoT's MQTT and alerts can be handled through SNS, S3 helps us for the easy storage of captured images in our application.

Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) review by Andrew C.
Andrew C.

"The name really is true, this is simple storage for websites, backups, repository"

What do you like best?

How quickly it can be to set everything up. Also, the online tutorials that Amazon has explaining how to achieve your goals toward a number of projects. For instance, search Amazon for how to launch a simple website and you can be up and running within a couple of hours.

What do you dislike?

Replacing existing files can be improved, especially with static websites. Hate when I have to reset the same permissions. If I could just edit the html/css right there it would simplify so much.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Search their tutorials for the type of project you're looking to complete and see how simple it can be to get started.

Static Websites. Extra backup location

Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) review by Mark R.
Mark R.

"Amazon S3 Cloud Storage - SImple but Elegant "

What do you like best?

S3 is very easy to learn and configure, and it probably the first of the AWS products that people can learn and implement.

Virtually anyone with even rudimentary IT knowledge can get their mind around this product in its entirety in less than a day.

In "AWS Speak" - a Bucket is just a folder, and object s within that bucket are just like the file system on your MAC or PC.

S3 has the added ability to allow or remove authority to an object or Bucket, and you can even host a complete static website if you wish, as long as you do not want to run any server side code.

What I also like about Amazon S3 is that you can set up a simple or complex document library with complete versioning and automatic archiving - something that a lot of business really need for disaster recover y of their critical information, this is like having an unlimited USB stick but not in the same place as where your data lives !!!.

You can even create a backup in a different Region, Amazon runs eleven different regions around the world and your data has 9.9999999999 % durability, which means that the data is very secure and persistent, you will lose one file every 100 years !!!.

What do you dislike?

Thee is really very little to dislike about S3

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't delay - do it TODAY !

I used to run 50 servers in a data center, we paid over $5,000 a month just to keep the lights on, I can now do the same thing in the cloud for less than $500 a month.

No Sys Admin needed, no complex Router maintenance....

Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) review by Diego J.
Diego J.

"Fast, reliable and secure. UI is not very friendly though."

What do you like best?

It can store large files. It's cheap and can handle all our backups. Also it can handle retention periods to delete old files and do file versioning. It has a pretty advance authorization system (IAM).

What do you dislike?

Glacier pricing model, storing files is cheap, retrieving them can be very expensive! Use with caution. Also, it would be wonderful to have search capabilities. Finding a file in the web UI is almost impossible if you have tons of files; it won't even let you sort the files by name.

It's reliable but I had a few problems in the past when trying to connect to upload the periodic backups, make sure your script retries uploading your files several times just in case. Also, some of the tools to connect to it (mainly in Windows) are buggy.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just be aware of the Glacier pricing as it can become expensive. Other than that, it just works.

Store database backups daily and every 30 minutes. Also, as a shared file system to store important files in the team. Store video source files that can be huge. Backup of a SVN repository. Among others.

Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) review by Josh S.
Josh S.

"Amazing"

What do you like best?

It is fast, especially if your server is in aws in the same region. The php package can do async without too much difficulty. Relatively inexpensive, easy to set auto delete time periods, and you don't have to worry about backups.

What do you dislike?

There is little I dislike. It's not easy to get meta information on your data,

Recommendations to others considering the product

If your server is in aws I would use s3 to store tons of permanent data.

Mass file storage. It was way better than using a servers file system or couch for our implementation.

Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) review by Yurui Z.
Yurui Z.

"great for file storage and archiving "

What do you like best?

* Easy to use API

* API clients available in mutliple languages (and a CLI tool)

* Secure file storage with good access control

* Really fast

* High availability - I've never experienced any downtime.

* Very affordable

* The ability to setup static sites in buckets.

* Being able to send notifications and integrate with AWS Lambda

What do you dislike?

* Files in Glacier cannot be downloaded immediately (usually a few hours delay)

* File retrieval fees

* Sometimes content/type needs to be set explicitly (e.g. .xls files being interpreted as zips if not specified)

* Somewhat tricky to move/rename large amount of files

* Again, tricky to move files in Glacier outside of Glacier permanently

* Object storage in the cloud

* Being able to upload large amount (or large in size) files directly into file store without going through our application servers

* Process/transform files automatically

* Generate temporary links for clients to download their files

* Simple static sites for clients

Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) review by Victor Manuel C.
Victor Manuel C.

"Amazon S3 Cloud Storage Review"

What do you like best?

It is very easy to upload files to the Amazon S3 using their webpage. One very important thing is that you can change very easily the headers of that file, for example to return a gzipped compressed item to the browsers instead of an uncompressed and weighted file.

It is very nice that you could have multiples buckets, so you can for example two buckets for every project: one for production and one for development environment and avoid the lost of your files accidentally.

AWS also provides SDK for multiples languages programming, so you can upload files to the S3 with a very few lines of codes, without the need of worrying about how to authenticate and xml protocols stuff. This is a great advantage.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it takes too long (too much delay) to begin the download of the files. I think they could provide better servers and/or Internet Bandwidth to remove latency when downloading the content.

Another aspect is that there is no Plugin Integration for some important IDEs like PyCharm, so you can upload the files automatically before deploying to the S3.

Recommendations to others considering the product

First use the free tier version of Amazon, so you can learn how to use it without paying a penny. And then, when you master the S3, change to a payed and more reliable version.

I am solving a peer to peer payments problems and the benefiths are that for example If one of my user wants to upload their profile photo, then I can set a publicly available profile for some folder in the S3, so anyone can see the profile photo of that user.

Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) review by Andrew C.
Andrew C.

"Great way to store Data in a secure way"

What do you like best?

Its easy way to store and retrieve data, and connect to EC2, dynamoDB.

After initially using the very useful free tier to test is capability we immediately knew this was a great option was a great option for us. Only only paying for what we use makes it a great cost effective way of securely storing our data.

What do you dislike?

I do not think there is anything so far i dislike about Amazon S3, the 5Gb free tier is quite a small amount to test any big data implementations, but this did not stop us getting a service up and running with very little effort.

It took a lot of planning and testing to move data to S3, relying on someone else to host and provide access to your data adds an additional set of tests around how you develop your applications.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If in doubt go for the free tier, almost guarantee you will want it for longer

With the growing number amount of data generated we needed a Disaster recover Centre for the data, as well as a cheaper alternative for our current hosting platform. Amazon S3 was the perfect choice.

Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) review by Sagar A.
Sagar A.

"It Continues To Be A Good Experience And We Are Now Migrating Legacy Apps And Going All In"

What do you like best?

Stability and flexibility. The broad range of services and the speed of innovation. How all services work together. Level of service and quality of business support.

What do you dislike?

The complexity.I do recommend other to use AWS if a public cloud is considered and option for a solutions. Internally in our enterprise AWS is the only public cloud used to develop customer solutions.

High availability Windows File Server (SMB file shares) are a paint to run on AWS. All the tools and APIs for automation (including CloudFormation and CloudWatch in particular) that let us build AutoFailover and AutoHealing mechanisms is key to us

Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) review by Chad C.
Chad C.

"Easy, simple, fast, scalable storage"

What do you like best?

I've been using S3 over the last few months for interim storage between local in-house client environments and Amazon EC2 instances, and it has worked flawlessly. Like anything AWS, there are multiple ways to interact with S3: the web interface, the AWS CLI tools, and my preferred method, the boto3 Python library. With Python and boto3, putting and getting objects into and out of a S3 bucket literally takes a few lines of code. This has provided us a cheap and easy way to get up to our EC2 instances, both ad-hoc and on schedules.

What do you dislike?

Setting security on a bucket is not so intuitive. Getting information about a bucket isn't easy either, the best way I found was by using the AWS CLI tools - so one more thing to have to install, config, and search Stackoverflow for the commands for.

Recommendations to others considering the product

One of the best things about S3 is that is so ridiculously cheap, and this makes it really easy to test out. With some simple testing (so long as you are using huge files), you are looking at it probably costing you only a few pennies - but make sure to get yourself and estimate on the Cost Estimator first.

Currently using S3 as an interim storage solution to get data to and from EC2 instances with Python and the boto3 library - it's dead simple.

Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) review by Atif R.
Atif R.

"An amazing storage solution equally attractive for personal and application usage"

What do you like best?

Amazon S3 is very simple but very powerful.

Life cycle rules enable you to automate customized actions based on different events which can be object level and on bucket level

shifting archive data to Glacier are top notch feature

You will never run out of storage as storage is expandable as per your needs

You can store large file upto 500GB in size

It provides out of the box integration with SNS service that makes it very easy to get notification against variety of events

There are variety of APIs support available for different programming languages like Java, .NET, Php, Ruby, Python, and Rails

Fine grained user access

You can try S3 usage as 5GB comes with Free Tier as well

What do you dislike?

S3 bucket browsing is cumbersome when using AWS console. This really need to be improved

For this there are couple of third party software like s3 browser that makes this task easy

Pricing model is not easily comprehensible for end users

Recommendations to others considering the product

Amazon S3 is next big thing if your application is using binary files. Gone are the days when your application data resides on spinning hard drives with no guarantee if backup, redundancy and high availability

I have worked on mobile application and used S3 for

data backup

device data sync

I have worked on couple of web application for which all storage needs are fulfilled by S3.

uploading asset or library images which can be shared among group of users

Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) review by farhan k.
farhan k.

"Been using AWS S3 for storing static objects"

What do you like best?

We have been using Aws quite a while and specially its S3 static storage service. Its cheap and convenient, durable and very easy to use. There is no minimum fee and setup cost. They also provide additional services in s3 for your needs and type of access. At the end of the day it all depends upon your type of data to be stored.

What do you dislike?

If you want your application to be highly secure, you will have to look around before using S3. I felt some amount of delay in writes appearing on the system. The response it also less then EBS( elastic block storage).

It depends , if you want durability you can go with S3.

Recommendations to others considering the product

First of all you should know about your requirements and the type of access you will require. For durability you should definitely go with S3 , but if speed is your main concern then go with EBS. S3 is good for storing the static objects.

Currently we are storing all of our static database objects, such as images , static files etc on the S3. These things require only a read, no update. Things which require frequent updates are uploaded on the ec2 cloud.

Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) review by Grant S.
Grant S.

"Great for Hosting Images to Speed Up Your Website"

What do you like best?

I use S3 to store images and other assets that I need to serve to websites with lightening speed.

What do you dislike?

I don't like having to set access and permissions for each asset hosted on S3. I have found that it is best to organize all your assets and upload them in one big batch.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For key digital assets don't trust Wordpress or other Content Management Systems. Upload your digital assets to S3 for lightening fast load times.

S3 is a key tool for optimizing marketing websites. My goal is to have each web page load under 3 seconds to reduce bounce rates and improve the sites search engine ranking.

Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) review by Dariusz C.
Dariusz C.

"Easy way to store files in Public Cloud"

What do you like best?

What I like the best is the easiness of handling your data through a REST interface. Managing data is really just a breeze no matter what technology stack you are depending on. Naturally, you don't have to write the REST client by yourself: you can leverage battle-proven SDKs that are available on amazon.

What do you dislike?

I don't find the Amazon S3 UI easy to use. This is though a matter of personal preference.

Recommendations to others considering the product

What is the thing that needs to be considered when using S3 is the fact that you are putting you data in cloud. This comes with security and privacy issues. You should really double think if the data you are operating on is sensitive. As soon as you put your data in cloud you don't really know what happens to it. You can only rely on your provider (here, Amazon) assurance.

We leveraged S3 as a datastore of user's documents that were about to be printed. Our service was aimed to be launched globally so we need a reliable, easily explicable and highly available datastore. Besides, we needed a datastore that was easily accessible from mobiles as well as from desktops.

Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) review by Ivan H.
Ivan H.

"The one place for file storage you can depend on"

What do you like best?

Flexibility for many types of storage - Short, medium , long term or even temporary. Version controlled or not, public or private, and a complete permissions structure, configurable to the file level or globally.

What do you dislike?

I think the web interface could use some improvements, but there are many options other than web to manage your objects.

Long term storage of photo archives that are globally accessible.

Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) review by Micah H.
Micah H.

"Easy, Simple, and Reliable as it gets"

What do you like best?

S3 is about as easy at it gets. You can throw as many files at it as you'd like and never have to worry about filling up a disk. S3 is a service that is easy to set up and use, and doesn't require buy-in to the rest of the AWS ecosystem. If you are in the AWS ecosystem, it is trivial to tie S3 into CloudFront for additional CDN access to your data.

What do you dislike?

There is not a quick way to see the total data size of all your objects in S3 or a particular bucket or folder without listing every item. For larger amounts of files, this can take a long time and can incur a lot of LIST requests, which while cheap ($0.005 per 1,000 requests at the time of writing), can start to add up.

Figuring out advanced features like TTLs on files, and adding policies requires some in-depth knowledge of the AWS ecosystem and reading a lot of documentation.

A hard-limit of 100 buckets per-account is mildly annoying, as you are free to create multiple accounts.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be sure to read the best practices and documentation surrounding AWS authentication and roles. This can be the trickiest part of implementing AWS correctly and securely.

We needed a file store for user-uploaded content. It needed to be easy to incorporate with a CDN, easy to use, and reliable. S3 has more than met all our requirements.

Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) review by Ian D.
Ian D.

"AWS: Quick, simple, cost-effective"

What do you like best?

AWS makes it super fast and simple to configure VMs based on CPU needs, RAM needs, disk needs. The customization of the instances is great. Their other "Elastic" tools are icing on the cake and make management of the platform super simple. Being able to snapshot an instance and bring up multiple copies is fantastic, and being able to share snapshots publicly for other users is a really fantastic feature.

What do you dislike?

With the flexibility of spinning up a raw instance comes the responsibility of securing the box. This is often beyond the realm of understanding for many web developers who are looking for a fast and cheap hosting solution for an app. It would be nice if Amazon had better security out of the box.

Finding a Linux or BSD-style build that's suitable for your application needs is tricky. I like that AWS makes it possible to share your snapshots publicly, but you never truly know what you're getting in someone else's snapshot until after you've brought the machine online. There's no vetting process that I'm aware of.

It's also a pain to have to build and maintain your scalability across regions. Unlike Google App Engine who will spin up instances wherever your users are, on AWS you have to anticipate where your users are going to be and manually bring up instances in those regions, incurring costs from day one. GAE, at least, will only charge you for instance time if your CPU usage peaks beyond a threshold, regardless of the geolocation of your users.

Recommendations to others considering the product

S3 as an online storage is pretty great. The granular permissions that you can set at a per-folder level is pretty fantastic. The costs are reasonable for traffic in and out.

Scalability and high availability is super great with AWS. You just set up your machine, snapshot the instance, and fire up as many as you need. I like the improved tooling over auto-scaling your application up or down based on traffic, something that only Google App Engine did well for the longest time.

Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) review by David R.
David R.

"AmazonS3 Review"

What do you like best?

The ability to replicate files across multiple regions using cloudfront is great. It helps to both ensure that your content is loaded quickly no matter where the end user is accessing from, and also serves as replication to prevent downtime.

What do you dislike?

The difficulty with using S3 an other Amazon server environments is finding the tools to help with your work. Amazon chooses to not provide the most robust tools themselves. Although they make many options available to you to build your own, this involves a lot of upfront knowledge and development forcing you to search for and rely on third party tools for easier start up.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be aware that Third-party tools are most likely required to receive the full functionality of its capabilities (or writing your own).

Our main goal to provide our content as quickly as possible to the end users. As mentioned, Cloudfront is great for this. With a complete understanding you can also create powerful ways to deliver video streaming with variable quality output.

Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) review by Taylor P.
Taylor P.

"Great programmatically accessible object storage"

What do you like best?

Fine tuned access control through IAM/bucket policies mean that any data you store can be as public or as private as you want it to be. Access through CLI means that files can be uploaded and downloaded in a script. Hosting static webpages in S3 is also a great way to save on server costs.

What do you dislike?

Bucket names are global rather than per account, so if you want a fairly common name for your bucket, you are probably out of luck. Also, figuring out regions for your buckets is slightly hard unless you are using the command line.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is useful for storing objects, just make sure not to think of it as a filesystem.

We host images/css/javascript on S3, sitting behind a CDN. It allows us to store those files in a central location without having to maintain a server for them. We also use it as long term storage for build artifacts.

Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) review by Glenn J.
Glenn J.

"Great place to keep your backups"

What do you like best?

Amazon S3 is a great place to store your backups. I copy all of my systems MySQL backups to S3 storage and then have the archived to Glacier after they get more than 30 days old.

What do you dislike?

It can be hard to move your backup from the EC2 storage to S3 if you can't get a CRON job running.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I is a good archive solution with a nice inexpensive way of real archiving (Glacier) .

My contract says that I must keep backups for one year but it doesn't say where the backups must be kept. I move them to S3 and have never been questioned about the backups.

Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) review by Fabricio B.
Fabricio B.

"Quick and safe access to data"

What do you like best?

The way you control data; its versioning feature is amazing, as you will have "a hard time trying to lose data".

What do you dislike?

Although you eventually get used to it, at first, it's sort of confusing on finding a bucket URL.

Mainly backups. You can have data handy, in several versions, so you can retrieve data as close as possible from the desired position in time.

Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) review by Administrator in Entertainment
Administrator in Entertainment

"S3"

What do you like best?

S3 is a excellent object store and can also host static websites. I really like that S3 is cross AZ by default and can also be configured cross region replication as well. S3 is also inexpensive and can be 100% leverages by the API

What do you dislike?

I have not ran into a situation yet that would make me dislike using S3, We use S3 to store short term and long term data and have even considered possibly using S3 for several PCI use cases.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Read the docs

S3 is a great place to store logs that do not need to be viewed in real time. S3 can also be used to serve up statice pages and can be a very inexpensive solution to serving up a front end to a website when coupled with a CDN.

Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) review by Marijan E.
Marijan E.

"Fast and reliable"

What do you like best?

It is really good and reliable service, it's fast, and you feel you are getting the best for money you pay. I never had any problems with accessing data stored on amazon servers.

What do you dislike?

Complexity of setting up and administration. As all Amazon services for a regular user as myself it too complex to setup or understand what each option does or affects. It should definitely be improved, and idiot proof.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have good networking knowledge, and you need fast and reliable cloud then definitely yes. Amazon services are great, but you will have problem setting up everything if you are not expert.

I was using this as a storage for mobile applications. Where normal shared hosting was just too slow.

Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) review by Administrator

"Great global sharing with secure backgroun"

What do you like best?

I like that it's fast and that it provides a secure connection for file storage globally.

What do you dislike?

I wish there were more client offerings for easier access similar to FTP.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need a cloud storage solution in that is scalable and secure, I can't think of anything better.

I have clients based all over the world and traditional email and web distribution isn't secure and can't handle exceptionally large files. S3 gives me the ability to share those files and manage the back end so we have a common workspace.

Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) review by Matthew K.
Matthew K.

"Simple storage really is simple"

What do you like best?

Extremely easy to configure with very granular security rules to provide an easily adaptable storage solution.

What do you dislike?

Initial learning curve of security settings could be a bit easier. It takes time to get it completely secure.

Recommendations to others considering the product

A very easy implement storage solution for accessing shared data.

File sharing that had security baked in for a small list of users.

Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) review by Mudassir A.
Mudassir A.

"Hands down, the best file storage solution for startups"

What do you like best?

I like the ease of use, their api, cli tools to manage my file upload/retrieval. I also like the ability to specify CORS configuration so that people aren't hotlinking using your URLs. You can use S3 both for personal & business needs since you have the ability to make your files public/private. 5GB free storage comes in handy if you are a new startup. You are in treat if you are developing a ruby on rails web application since you can include the gem fog to directly upload files from your web application to Amazon S3 with few lines of configuration code.

We use S3 in conjunction with Cloudfront for high transfer speeds!

What do you dislike?

Customer Support is bad for Free-Tier users & you need to pay to get a prompt response! Although I never had to contact them for S3 until now

We use S3 to store all our product thumbnails & detail images.

Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) review by Ian N.
Ian N.

"Simple storage with versatility"

What do you like best?

Makes the ability of Web scale computing easier for development staff and supporting members. Working with the same consistent backbone that provides amazons stellar cloud is always a plus.

What do you dislike?

Working with permissions and stores in the bucket can be challenging sometimes, and the standard interface could use a little tweaking.

Recommendations to others considering the product

So far this has been a better experience than my trial with azure.

Scalable solutions are no longer crippled by physical storage issues typically faced. Can add manage and mitigate any issues that could potentially be faced from a failing drive or an ailing box.

Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) review by Morten P.
Morten P.

"In my opinion the best cloud storage service"

What do you like best?

The options and simplicity of use. The free period especially is helpful when setting up services for the first time. Another important option is the possibility to remotely connect and script how the different services shall behave. The management console gives a very good overview of the different services provided, and is very easy to use. It is possible to setup warnings on billing, giving you full control over your spending. Lastly, there is a huge community of users of the various AWS services making it easy to find help through forums and similar.

What do you dislike?

Restrictions on number of buckets and not having a permanent free version for the smallest EC2 server, with a minimum storage. Would make it possible for every web-page being hosted there for free. They should also make it possible to add more S3 buckets, with cost logging on every bucket so that i.e. every customer had they're own bucket with a adjoining cost. For the management console, there should be an option to only show the services that you are using.

Recommendations to others considering the product

By far the cloud service provider that gives you most value for your investments. We have tried many of the other cloud providers, and none have come as far as amazon.

We use this to serve our web pages, as well as using it as a cloud storage repository for our software product offerings. Lastly, it also functions as a backup site for our internal data. A quick and affordable option that gives us flexibility and multiple use options.

Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) review by Ashlie P.
Ashlie P.

"Secure Storage Solution"

What do you like best?

The ability to store larger files in AWS S3 that are still easy to access and use in the website.

What do you dislike?

It's created a handful of extra steps when using larger files on the site, but it's worth it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It has a very generous free trial and then the cost is next to nothing. It's at least worth trying.

Being able to use larger files on our websites without slowing down the server. We also use it in conjunction with another membership software for digital product delivery and it is very secure in only allowing those who purchased to be able to access files.

Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) review by Florin S.
Florin S.

"Moving from locally hosted files to Amazon S3 is simple and effective"

What do you like best?

The ease of use and the speed of their servers.

They have an entire ecosystem out there, I've only had the chance to use a couple of their services and play around with some of the others but the ease of use seems to be consistent.

What do you dislike?

There aren't servers in all the areas/countries, so this could be improved. It's not a big issue, just an area where it could be improved.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's easy to setup, has high avaliability, servers in all important regions.

Delivering static content to users of our application.

Before using S3 we were storing static content locally, the servers being in the US, so delivering content like large images and such to different locations had inconsistent speed. Not to mention the fact that storing all that data locally required additional hardware and software.

Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) review by User

"Great service, easy to use but very powerful"

What do you like best?

It's amazing how the service can be so good but at the same time so simple to use. It's doing all we expect of such a service.

What do you dislike?

There's nothing that I can think of to dislike about it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just give it a try, it's a great service.

We use it for a lot of things: from storing configuration information in tiny buckets with just a handful of objects to storing multiple millions of files amounting to many PetaBytes of of raw data, and anything in between.

Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) review by Rusil G. P.
Rusil G. P.

"Great Service Once You Understand Some Technical Setup"

What do you like best?

I believe the best feature of S3, is the ability to create fine-grained policies on buckets and files, and the availability of SDKs to interact with S3 via APIs

What do you dislike?

There are a lot of options to set things up and sometimes it is not clear how to do something by interacting with the User Interface. Amazon has good documentation, but I find that I had to dig around a lot to find answers

Recommendations to others considering the product

Amazon is a great IAAS and S3 fits in nicely with the entire product line. If you use other Amazon AWS products, you will be able to use S3 with relative ease.

I use S3 to store static assets for web and mobile applications. I store images, documents and videos

Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) review by User in Entertainment
User in Entertainment

"Amazon S3 Used For Centralized Mobile App Configuration"

What do you like best?

Amazon S3 is an extensive system with relative ease of use that allows us to distribute app configuration to all of our users. Account access prevents users from accessing sensitive files, but still enables use of other files for testing or beta deployment. The command line support allows for massive file transfer and editing.

What do you dislike?

The Amazon S3 UI changes consistently and a lot of times is difficult to use. It takes a certain amount of expertise to operate making it new user unfriendly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are hesitant to have a complete data backend solution for your product and would like a cheaper solution then Amazon S3 is what I would recommend that you use.

Amazon S3 allows us to centralize our app configuration and deploy that to all of our users. This helps us handle code-less app changes

Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) review by Stewart H.
Stewart H.

"Great catch all file store"

What do you like best?

Ease of use, we literally can setup a new bucket and start using it on the read/write side within minutes.

What do you dislike?

Care needs to be taken to determine the access patterns of the data that is being persisted to prevent excessive costs. Glacier is a better alternative for infrequently used data.

Recommendations to others considering the product

First off, if you need support, you are on your own as AWS support is pretty much a web forum. Stackoverflow for the win though in most cases. It might be worth the time to compare costs against Azure as well as Microsoft has been up-ing their game lately.

We take screenshots of web pages that offend a client's policy and persist them to S3 and later share URLs of these with a client.

Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) review by Antonin L.
Antonin L.

"S3 is a good and relatively cheap for storing data "

What do you like best?

The fact that the files are organized in a bucket,

The fact that you have access to all your files and buckets via api and/or libraries

The security and control you have on you uploaded files

What do you dislike?

the CORS management is a mess and the long time storage is not really well explained

Recommendations to others considering the product

Go as fast as you can, it ca help you to deploy static files fastly and easily

deploying static files across the world easily and safely. The client have a fast access to that files without personal management

Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) review by Serkan A.
Serkan A.

"Best infrastructure of this kind which could have a better user interface because hard for newbies."

What do you like best?

Simple, does a single thing at the greatest level. Left us no reason to think about reliability. ıt feels like a Unix command for me while designing a new app.

What do you dislike?

I wish I could have an ability to let my users to bring their own S3 bucket with some kind of OAuth system and let them to use their own resources while I am providing the real service that I offer without thinking about the storage. This is not possible for non-sofiticated computer users like Biologists. They cannot register for AWS and bring me API codes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use it without thinking about reliability.

Storage for web apps is the only way I am using it. Sometimes we use it for short term backup but this cannot be considered as a real usage.

Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) review by Tee Tawanna P.
Tee Tawanna P.

"Patient with newbies"

What do you like best?

Amazon's a patient company that will wait on yuo to decide when and where you wan to do business!

What do you dislike?

I don't have any dislikes as of now because I've only been with Amazon a few months so I have wait until I have a longer trial of services.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Yes I would! I would like to have my OWN Amazon if that were possible, like my own store!

I guess I would have to say they could get more places way it's convenient to do business or set up more venders.

Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) review by Anudeep P.
Anudeep P.

"Cheap and effective cloud storage in cloud"

What do you like best?

S3 has a robust UI that could be used for uploading data. It offers a easy CLI if you are inclined to upload/download from Command Line. It offers buckets, groups of folders to store information and it offers neat way to restrict access to buckets through IAM roles. It has efficient compression algorithms that compress the data uploaded, so you get most cost/data.

What do you dislike?

The UI is very minimalistic, in a sense, it says it can handle uploads up to 4 TB, but in reality I found it a little inefficient in handling that. There is also a certain lag to initiate upload and download of files from S3, which can be annoying as its difficult to understand where the issue is. The error messages displayed during uploads are not very descriptive, which can cause frustration and hours of debugging time trying to figure out the root cause.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for scalable storage in cloud, S3 is your solution. It provides cheap way to store our database backups in Cloud. Good CLI and UI is an added bonus.

We were trying to store backups from our RDS and EC2 instances into S3. Writing cron scripts to store data in S3 is nice and easy and storing backups in S3 allows us to access the backup immediately in an event that we need to access it.

Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) review by Ankush K.
Ankush K.

"Review"

What do you like best?

It's best for creating clusters on cloud and easy to use. I liked the interface used to interact with S3 from windows which is just like linux terminal and all the commands are similar

What do you dislike?

It's good for now and I don't think needs any improvements apart from readme or introductory resources.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Nothing

Developing Big Data application on cloud

Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) review by Administrator in Hospitality
Administrator in Hospitality

"Great Data Storage Solution With Amazing Durability"

What do you like best?

Its 9 nine durability, versioning and auto archiving to Glacier

What do you dislike?

Access policy creation looks little bit difficult for me at first as it is not that user friendly

Recommendations to others considering the product

Its a very good cloud storage solution for your enterprise with great durability

Amazon S3 is a highly durable storage solution for your enterprise to protect your data . Its a very good backup solution for your enterprise and its versioning capability helps to recover the documents/data from accidental overwritten or deletion. We've been using it for years and its a great backup solution for your network

Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) review by Jonathan G.
Jonathan G.

"Good, cheap, reliable storage, but man! would it kill them to have a better file management client?"

What do you like best?

I like the reliability and how easy it is to spin up static websites from a bucket

What do you dislike?

Managing files is just plain painful sometimes. Just a lot of clicking in their interface. Should be more like managing files on your local machine.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you only need static website hosting etc, it's hard to beat S3. However, if you're looking for general file management - you don't want S3. For that you'd want Dropbox or Google Drive.

We are hosting multiple static/Angular websites along with images and web resources which we're then serving up through CloudFlare utilizing their free SSL and CDN.

Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) review by User in Libraries
User in Libraries

"Highly scalable and extremely durable object storage"

What do you like best?

It's the best object storage that you can get ... and it's so much more than that. You could chose between 3 (or 4 if you count Glacier) different storage and pricing types: Standard, Infrequent Access, Reduced Redundancy and Glacier. Standard and IA gives you 99,999999999 durability !!! In all types you'r paying for the storage that you'r using + some additional request charges. Lifecycle policies can automatically move your data to cheaper storage type after some period of time. You can even use S3 as static web hosting solution. Send there your data, host your webpage or part of it (static content).

What do you dislike?

New GUI is less intuitive and lacking excellent graphical representation of lifecycle policies.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It have so many use cases that everyone will find it useful in it's own way.

Keeping personal data, static web hosting.

"Amazon S3 is Great"

What do you like best?

Amazon S3 is very easy to use once you understand their terminology (which isn't that tough to get). They also offer a great set of available terminal commands that make interacting with your S3 buckets a breeze.

What do you dislike?

I can't say there's anything I dislike. The user interface isn't the greatest thing in the world (but then again, Amazon isn't exactly known for this), but it does what it advertises; it's a reliable cloud storage service.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The only other somewhat comparable service I've used is Dropbox, and while I do like it, it's been too expensive for me in the past. Amazon S3 does the job and it's been pretty affordable for me.

I also recommend taking advantage of the command line tools for Amazon S3... I've been able to automate certain upload/delete/edit headers tasks which is fantastic.

I've used Amazon S3 to serve flat-file websites (technically, S3 is the source of the site while Amazon CloudFront does the actual "serving").

Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) review by Josef L.
Josef L.

"It's all in the name -- Simple Storage Service"

What do you like best?

S3 is the de-facto standard for "cloud storage". It's simple. It's storage. It's a service. There really isn't much more to be said.

What do you dislike?

With a service so straightforward it's difficult to dislike anything about it. The closest thing to a deficiency I could find is how its permissions structure is perhaps a bit "legacy" compared to modern AWS permissions controls available. For example, while on most AWS resources you can grant permissions to groups of users, S3 "bucket policies" only allow the granular assignment of permissions on a user-by-user basis.

Recommendations to others considering the product

S3 makes the most sense if your current infrastructure is already based in AWS.

General software resource storage, both for resources in production and for archival of build and deployment artifacts.

Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) review by Ahmed A.
Ahmed A.

"Convenient/Efficient/User-Friendly"

What do you like best?

I love how easy it is to access my information on S3. All of my devices can access my information on S3 from anywhere, anytime.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that Amazon is down so often. I feel like it might just be a concidence, but its been fluctuating on and offline alot recently.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Have someone who is trained in using S3. Its much easier to train everyone on how to use it rather than everyone learning on their own.

We store our passwords on S3. Since we have a lot of onsite technicians, it really helps expedite how they troubleshoot an issue.

Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) review by Michael R.
Michael R.

"Frequent user of Amazon S3"

What do you like best?

S3 supports a wide array of file system usages. It includes security and lifecycle support to move files through different storage options, thereby reducing cost over time.

What do you dislike?

It would be great to be able to mount the buckets as a file system natively (there are tools that do it), I understand why you can't but I wish you could. That said, this is a minor complaint and AWS has built EFS to deal with this situation.

File storage for my customers.

Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) review by Timothy S.
Timothy S.

"S3 The Main Data Store"

What do you like best?

The ease of use, infinite size and elasticity. There is elastic scalability and unlimited space. It is very easy to use and easy to use in dev tools, frameworks and products like Wordpress. It is the default filesystem in the cloud.

It just works and works from everywhere.

Your files anywhere with security. S3 has plugins for Spring Cloud

What do you dislike?

It is not the cheapest service, but it is better than the alternative. We have sometimes used the SSDs on specific EC2 instances and that was faster for local usage, but not elastically scalable.

I wish there was a local version that we could use for testing and local development.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Amazon S3 is a great place to store files.

Make sure you try it with the free amazon level for a while and try some of the tools that work with it before you put a ton of files in there. There are costs for moving data in and out depending on how it's configured, VPC and more.

we need to store HDFS files, uploaded files, logs and a ton of other file types from servers, feeds and REST items.

It saves time and is not replaceable.

The speed and performance of S3 is without equal.

Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) review by Simon H.
Simon H.

"Amazon Web Services for Startups"

What do you like best?

Amazon web services has made it very easy for our startup to scale and manage our needs as we work to launch our web based platform. AWS offers many promotions for startups and companies working out of incubators that makes them the obvious choice for any small IT budget.

What do you dislike?

The initial set up for AWS was a little difficult, especially if you have limited experience spinning up a cloud computing infrastructure. It took about half of a day for us to get users the proper information they needed and for us to understand the massive amount of information that was now available to us. In the end, the set up was nothing we could not handle it just took slightly longer than expected. (and 1 or 2 more Google searches than we expected).

RealEx is working to bring quality Commercial Real Estate investments to the crowd. Our platform will allow users to invest, manage, and trade certified Commercial Real Estate deals like never before.

Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) review by Rokibul K.
Rokibul K.

"Awesome value for the money"

What do you like best?

S3 is the best storage solution out there for static hosting. Highly available and scalable, best value for your money. They have nice REST API and APIs on top of REST end points in different languages, you could use pretty much for anything. If you are a command line guy, try their amazing CLI!

Apart from web store, Amazon developed a lot of back end services around S3. You could use version control capabilities or backup your data to much cheaper Glacier or even use Reduce Redundancy storage if fits your needs. Recent KMS integration took the encryption in next level. Lots of choices in a cheap pay as you go manner.

Finally, their support! it would be unfair not to mention their amazing client support.

What do you dislike?

The only feature I hated most is their web console. The S3 web console lacks simple feature like sorting or even searching.

The second thing is, the bucket names are global! So, if you come up with name like "abc" or some simple short name, most probably its already taken!

We are pretty much an Amazon shop and we have been using s3 heavily for both structured and unstructured data. Our data processing pipeline gets all the input data from s3. The data processing pipeline does the necessary processing using a bunch of other AWS services in different EC2 instances and finally the outcome also gets stored in S3.

"Amazon s3 has been a life saver"

What do you like best?

The best part about S3 is the flexibility it offers. It can hold any kind of data, as big as 5 TB. S3 provides for data replication on multiple location. Although it doesn't have a filesystem, its pretty easy to mimic file-paths using object-id. The S3 console is simple and offers a file-system like listing, which makes it familiar to use. Above all, S3 have a wonderful access control mechanism which gives fine grained control over who gets what.

What do you dislike?

S3 console is old and not very intuitive. S3 was one of the initial offerings of aws and the UI hasn't changed much after that. It takes a lot of clicking to get simple things done.

Our multiple products require saving user files on the server side. Initially we had it stored in our own server. Later we realized the reliability that S3 offers. The data replication is something very important when it comes to reliability. The API and various sdks makes it easy to use even without involving a server (if needed). Also the extra expense seems very low at the moment

Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) review by Administrator in Industrial Automation
Administrator in Industrial Automation

"Static Website Hosting with S3 for "http://superserial.io"."

What do you like best?

It has great documentation. The documentation made it easy to setup and configure with their Route 53 Domain Name System. The user interface UI it simple and intuitive. They have a robust access control system that allows for fine control. In their documentation they provided the necessary access control example to make the site work. The price is great.

What do you dislike?

On the S3 interface, I do not like the interface for uploading files in the browser. I also do not like that S3 does not have the ability to copy and paste between buckets. I also do not like that you have to manually delete all file in a directory before you can delete the root directory.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need to store files that don't change to often S3 is great. If you need to just host a static website S3 is great. It has a great price! I am really happy they allow static hosting with S3.

I use S3 to host my website http://superserial.io. It is a static website with images and one video. S3 has a great price mark for me. I don't have to pay for a server that supports programming languages or databases unless I need them in the future. It currently provides the small set of tools I require at a great price.

Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) review by Usman Ehtesham G.
Usman Ehtesham G.

"Amazon S3 Review"

What do you like best?

Very cheap storage; high availability and redundancy. Very easy and quick to setup. It has great and detailed documentation; also has great support team which respond quickly to any questions you may have. I like that we can control S3 storage both via a GUI (Graphical User Interface) and a CLI (Command Line Interface). I also like the various SDKs S3 has including Python, PHP, Java etc.

What do you dislike?

Not much to dislike but one of the issues is cross region storage is not available.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Very cheap, easy to setup and start.

Storage static files like CSS and Javascript files. Storing images and templates which users can store and retrieve quickly.

Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) review by Rebecca S.
Rebecca S.

"Reasonable storage system"

What do you like best?

AWS S3 offers a lot of storage and its pricing is cheaper than other storage systems in the market. It also has a workable API. AWS S3 is very widely used for a reason - because it's a leader in storage. I also like that the API is well documented and reasonably easy to use.

What do you dislike?

It's not nearly as easy to use or deploy as Heroku. Heroku integrates very seamlessly with Git and deployment is as easy as making a push. The console is also quite easy to log onto. S3 has a more cumbersome interface and there is a small learning curve, although it's still manageable.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Amazon S3 is a good choice for anyone who's outgrown the free tier of Heroku. Although it's not as easy to use, it is quite workable and the API interface is fairly versatile and reasonable. V2 of the API is also a substantial improvement over V1. The API supports a variety of languages - we used Ruby for it.

We wanted to store Big Data in the cloud, including some very large files. We also wanted to transfer the files to other locations. S3 offers a reasonable interface and reliability, although it's not as facile to use as Heroku. The price structure also allowed more storage for less money than its competitors. In addition, AWS is a fairly reliable storage system. We didn't have many problems when we switched.

Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) review by User in Professional Training & Coaching
User in Professional Training & Coaching

"Amazon S3 for File Hosting"

What do you like best?

I like how easy S3 is to store files and the amount of storage that we get. We are constantly updating files, and S3 makes it super easy to remove, edit, and replace files.

What do you dislike?

I personally think the look of S3 leaves something to the imagination.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You get safe and secure file storage and hosting that is super easy to manage and user-friendly. S3 makes it easy to edit, remove, replace, and link out to files stored in the system.

File hosting/storage. We have sensitive files that we need to host and store on something that is more secure than Google, for example. S3 has helped us solve this problem.

Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) review by Rodrigo T.
Rodrigo T.