Android

Android is the a globally popular mobile platform. With Android you can use all Google apps, plus thousands of apps and games are available on Google Play.

Work for Android?

Learning about Android?

Android Reviews

Showing 191 Android reviews
Android review by <span>Mantas D.</span>
Mantas D.
Validated Review
What do you like best?

I really like the flexibility of the system. Even if I do not like some of the software which is pre-installed by the vendor (For example, "Samsung" software), I can delete it easily. I can get the root access and change the core elements of the OS. I've used a lot of different Android devices and the best one for me was OnePlus 3T mobile phone. It is just flawless - speed, reliability, battery use, the absence of bloatware and overall quality - all of these points are refined to the edge.

What do you dislike?

I really dislike the bloatware implemented by some of the vendors. I had some experience with multiple Android devices and sometimes there are a lot of useless applications that my colleagues neither I need. Sometimes the OS lacks the ability to remove such applications unless rooted. Yet there are a lot of different devices using Android. Also, some of the older devices seem to be intentionally worsened. For example, Samsung Galaxy SIII was a great phone when just released - it worked almost flawlessly yet now it lags so much you can't even complete the simple tasks (For example, Google Maps takes ages to load). I've even tried to restore the Factory defaults and that didn't help much in this case. Yet I'm not 100% sure if the Android or the phone itself is responsible for this. Notifications management should be implemented in the older versions of Android too in my opinion.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend Android to both - experienced users as well as starters. It's easy to use and if you need more capabilities - Linux-based OS such as Android provides you with all tools and functions you might need.

It's not an exception to the Android only, but I really like the ability to tether the internet from mobile data and use the phone as a router. Sometimes I had cases where I need WiFi in the place of a building where the router's signal doesn't reach the devices. I like Google services themselves and use them a lot, so I really like the implementation of Google calendar and syncing between multiple devices. It's easy to use even for an inexperienced user.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Android
Android review by <span>Alana D.</span>
Alana D.

A well integrated OS

Validated Review
What do you like best?

I personally really like using Androids. I like that the platform is so customizble, and that I can set it up to my preferences, but I can also help my grandma use it on "easy mode." There's definitely something for everyone. Obviously, Android's biggest competitor is Apple, and it has both wins and losses here. Compared to Apple products, Androids are much more affordable, are available on a wider range of products, and are more customizable. For people with tech skills, this is definitely the preferred platform. As a non-mac user, I find it easier to integrate Android with Windows, and access my files across all my platforms. As much as I complain about bloatware, I do really appreciate the way Google is treated as a native app. I'm a big fan of google products, and I like that gmail and drive are so seamlessly integrated.

What do you dislike?

My biggest complaint about Android is that, while it is much more customizable than Apple products, Android products come with a TON of bloatware. It's absolutely absurd how much space is taken up by apps and products I neither want, nor need. The bloatware is really frustrating in part because these days, space is a hot (and expensive) commodity. Being promised 8 gigs of memory and only getting 5 because of the amount of bloatware is unacceptable, and I don't know why the platform continues to be set up to allow this. Disregarding that, it's just unnecessary and confusing, especially for the older generation. I helped some of my older family members get set up with Android products, and to them, the concept of redundancy doesn't make any sense. "So just get rid of it if I don't need it." "I can't, sorry." is a frustrating conversation to have. "Why do I need an email app if I have a gmail app?" "I don't know, grandma."Really, get rid of some of the bloatware and Android products will feel as seamless and smooth as apple products.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're new to using technology, you definitely need to keep in mind that Android has not practiced the vertical integration business strategies that Apple has. Android's biggest failures are all pretty directly related to this problem- the existence of bloatware, susceptibility to malware (on Android/Windows collectively, of course), lack of ease of setup/use (for the technologically challenged), etc. I don't think that Android should pursue this vertical integration economic strategy, that would seriously drive up prices. However, I do think it would be wise for them to try and eliminate some of the problems that are related to the broader picture of how products are made and sold.

I don't really use Android a whole lot at my current job, though I occasionally text coworkers during the workday (even though we work in a hospital, everyone gets pagers instead of cell phones, but realistically, cells are much easier to use). In my previous job, where I was a Fulbrighter through the DOS, my phone, tablet, and laptop were indispensable. I was living in rural Malaysia, where very few people own computers and people communicate primarily by phone, especially using apps like Whatsapp, WeChat, and Instagram. I found installation/use of these apps to be simple and navigable, and I was really happy that I was able to use my phone to communicate with my students on a consistent basis.

0 of 0 found this helpful.

What Operating System solution do you use?

Android review by <span>Jessica S.</span>
Jessica S.
Validated Review

Android Wins in My Book, Hands Down!

Validated Review
What do you like best?

Android is updated regularly for free and my Samsung Galaxy phone continues to work without needing to upgrade my hardware. Android is fast and lets me multitask and download and use apps to my hearts content.

What do you dislike?

I am happy with Android and there is nothing I can think of at this moment that I dislike.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would not consider even trying the alternatives to Android. I ignore them all because I know I am using the best that is available.

So many! I can manage all of my freelance work with my Android phone. I can access files on dropbox, respond to messages in Fiverr.com, access photos on google photos to upload to instagram and/or facebook -- not to mention being able to do the basics of phone calls and texting without errors or issues.

Android review by User in Higher Education

Android Small Devices are Best

Updated On
Validated Review
What do you like best?

I like that the software gives you option to edit almost every little thing available. While it might seem complicated to some, once you are used to it, it makes life a whole lot easier having complete control over everything. iOS operations seem to be basic without a lot of room for creativity in the organization department.

What do you dislike?

I can honestly say that there is nothing I dislike about the android system, and I am preferential to it when it comes to my phone.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for a software that allows you to make the changes that you want, exactly how you want them, then android is for you.

Android makes it amazingly easy to operate all of my software for business without too much of a hassle, as well as the ability to play with customization. I enjoy being able to set up and connect my phone exactly how I want it, and it is extremely easy to access my files and music incoming and outgoing.

Android review by <span>Juliano F.</span>
Juliano F.
Validated Review

Great for users, good for developers

Validated Review
What do you like best?

+ If you are a normal user, this is a very friendly system with so many possibilities even if you aren't a expert in use of smartphones;

+ Android is actually a very solid system, but Google continues to improve it even more after each update;

+ It has great integration with other Google's software, like Gmal, Chrome, Google+ and others;

+ It has a really big apps and games library;

+ Many free content and quality premium apps/games too;

+ As a developer, Google has a very good support for you to starting developing on Android platform;

+ If you are a developer, Android has great potential to reach users to your game/app around the World, once Android is very popular on many areas around the globe.

What do you dislike?

- As a developer, actually, it's a real challenge to have some attention on Android official appstore (Google Play Store), because there is so many good apps and games available and most of them, free (for you as a user, this is very good);

Recommendations to others considering the product

As a user, this is a very good system. You can customized many features on it, to make it good for your daily tasks. With Android you have so many games and apps available and most of them are free, and the premium ones, are very good (in most cases).

As a developer, it's very cheap and easy to develop to it. There is various options to make a game or app for Android, and not only Google's Android Studio, but it is a very saturated platform too. Only a good project could not be the enough to you for getting some attention, you will need a good marketing as well.

As a user i use Android on my smartphone and i'm very happy with it, because it really helps on my daily tasks.

And I'm an indie games developer too, and Android was my first platform that i released my games. and i continue to develop for it until now.

I made this choice because mobile has a great potential to reach users for your creations, it's cheap and it's not very difficult to start developng to it.

Unfortunately this platform is saturated with the amount of game and apps launches that occur every day, and this makes it difficult to get some attention, especially if you are a indie developer and don't have the a lot of money to invest in marketing.

Android review by <span>Matthew Z.</span>
Matthew Z.
Validated Review
What do you like best?

The breadth of applications for Android is beyond compare. It's likely even larger than IOS since there is the official play store, amazon apps, as well as many 3rd sources. Not all of the apps are good, but there is plenty to find for most any need. The nature of the OS is also that it can fun on many platforms - not just smart phones. This has been a real boon. Finally, as compared to IOS, Android can be had at a lower price point.

What do you dislike?

It's not as clean as IOS. It can be buggy - especially with new updates. It's not uncommon for a new patch to require subsequent updates to take care of unforseen problems. Also, not all patches are available on all devices. My phone runs the newest 7.11, however I used six android smart boxes at work which are limited to androird 4.0 and wont update.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be aware that compared to IOS (or even Windows) that Android has many, many different people writing programs for it. Much beyond the native Google programs, you will be on your own. Be ready to find some time fiddling with programs to get them to work the way you want them to (or searching to find the right program for your need).

Beyond the cell phone market which is well known, Andoird also offers small "smart boxes" - basically stripped down pc's runing android software. These boxes make any monitor or TV into a smart tv. We use these at church / non-profit to show power point & video in six different rooms. These smart boxes cost less than $40 ea! So we were able to buy them for less than a single copy of Windows let alone the price of a Mac.

Learning about Android?

* We monitor all Android reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.