Apache Cordova

Apache Cordova Reviews

Showing 34 Cordova reviews
Cordova review by <span>Rut B.</span>
Rut B.

Most popular framework for developing hybrid mobile applications

What do you like best?

Obviously, what I like best is the fact we can build for different mobile OS (currently, we develop for Android and iOS) by means of web application programming (html and javascript).

Cordova has an excellent set of basic api, and it's also good that there is a huge number of plugins available for many features not included in the main Api

What do you dislike?

First, setup, configuring and tuning the application can be very difficult, if you're not used to the complex Cordova script system.

Moreover, it's not true you can build an application without knowing anything of native language programming. You have to study and learn at least the basics of an Android and iOS project, and if your application is a bit rich, you certainly will need to extend basic api with some plugin.

There is plenty of plugins available, but what I dislike is the fact that they're often unmanteined, or full of bugs, or not compatible with latest releases of Cordova

We have developed and we're mantaining two complex applications, mainly written with html and Ionic javascript framework, for Android and iOS platforms. Thanks to Cordova, we have achieved this goal by emplying a limited number of developers

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Apache Cordova
Cordova review by <span>Antonello P.</span>
Antonello P.

Best tool to develop hybrid apps

What do you like best?

I really love using my web app skills to develop apps for mobile markets like Apple "App Store" or Google "Google Play Store".

I use AngularJS and Ionic Platform to develop and build my apps, I can debug the most in my browser and leave small fixes on real devices. It's amazing and time saving!

What do you dislike?

I would prefer a strong vision by Adobe (phonegap trademark owner) or the Apache Foundation (cordove trademark owner), something like Xamarin for Visual Studio

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are a web expert, have a look at this product, BUT please read a lot about mobile apps, there are many topics different from "web app" to "real apps"

I develop small to large applications, and I think it's a great tool for this kind of work. I can have iOS+Android+Web version with minor code changes.

Obviously for CPU consuming apps like games is not the best choice but platform like CocoonJS are coming out as a real solution

What Mobile Development Frameworks solution do you use?

Cordova review by User in Information Technology and Services

Apache Cordova when and when not

What do you like best?

centralization of the code: all my business-logic code is written once and runs on all platforms. when I add new feature it is added to all platforms. when I fix a bug, it is fixed in all platforms.

What do you dislike?

bad application performance and lake of Native-Like user experience. Also, the integration between js and Native code ( through plugins) has more limitations: ex I can't easily create a background service that runs after the app is closed.

Recommendations to others considering the product

when you look for Apache Cordova ask yourself these questions, if yes is the answer for all of them so Apache Cordova maybe the best choice you have:

1. my application doesn't rely deeply on devices hardware ?

2. my application doesn't need heavy processing (like heavy processing of sensors data and/or heavy processing of drawing complicated charts) ?

3. my application doesn't require to have the look and feel of native application ?

4. my application don't need parallel processing at any form ?

I'm not tied to one business solutions. The most benefit is (mostly) when a bug is fixed in one platform, it is fixed in all others.

Cordova review by <span>Johnny H.</span>
Johnny H.

Awesome tool for building cross-platform applications with JavaScript

What do you like best?

Cordova is one of the most powerful tools for a JavaScript developer. A proficient JavaScript web developer can easily become a general software and application developer by deploying web technologies for various environments aside from browsers.

What do you dislike?

Deploying the same application across various platforms and the web can be a hassle due to differences. This isn't a weakness of Cordova per se, but is a problem that comes along with using Cordova. As for Cordova itself, the use of XML for its configuration was an odd choice. A JavaScript file that exports a configuration object as a module is a more powerful choice. It is great that Cordova offers a series of hooks to add behavior to various parts of the compiling process, but it is also unfortunate that there is no package management for these hooks. People often copy and paste them from project to project. For this reason, I usually write the main logic of my hooks as npm modules and require them into app-specific hooks.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Every JavaScript developer should get familiar with Cordova.

We use the same application on the web and on iOS and will eventually release the app for Android as well.

Cordova review by <span>Filipe O.</span>
Filipe O.

Great option for quick development

What do you like best?

What I like most is the fact that Cordova isn't only a HTML app running in a browser, it's much more than that. You can write native plugins that works with any of the supported platforms and a JavaScript wrapper will take care of integrating your HTML app with native code. This give you much power to interact with the opreating system. The community is strong and very helpful, there are a lot of examples in GitHub.

What do you dislike?

It takes some time to get used to style mobile apps using HTML and CSS because it looks very weird at first sight. It's also not very easy to make your app UI adapt to different operating systems visual identity, but it's doable.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't expect matching your hybrid apps with native apps. Cordova is really great to quickly develop functional apps to be deployed to multiple operational systems with ease. Ionic Framework is also a very good addition to create beautiful UI for your apps.

I don't have the time and neither the money to invest in native apps for the 3 major mobile opreating systems (iOS, Android and Windows Phone), so, developing a single hybrid mobile app that works seamlessly across the three is very helpful. Thus, I'm already very familiar with AngularJS because I develop all my web stuff using it, and this has came very handy to get started with Cordova.

Cordova review by <span>Arthur F.</span>
Arthur F.

The right steps to the future

What do you like best?

Cordova does an amazing job on the hybrid app field. It is super easy to use and it works! It is amazing how much support this tool has over internet, you can literally search for anything you need and somebody has already an answer for it. Not only that but a lot of people have been developing plugins for it and now it came to a point that you can add so much features in your app without having to code much.

Cordova turns time consuming coding into simple functions and that are portable to many platforms. It is quite hard to be better than that.

What do you dislike?

As hybrid apps are still emerging, there are a few issues that still needs to be addressed and Apache Cordova is not exception. Running cordova apps on low end devices can feel laggy, running background tasks is also quite limited. Other than that is quite hard to point negative things in it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are stuck on a problem don't be afraid of searching. Apache cordova has a huge community and somebody has probably already fixed your issue.

I have been using Apache Cordova with Ionic 1 and 2. I started using to develop prototypes in a very small amount of time. After developing a few prototypes I decided to use Cordova on a bigger scale project and it worked perfectly. Now I am even using on my daily job for prototyping ideas.

Learning about Apache Cordova?

* We monitor all Apache Cordova reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.