Appcelerator

3.9

Build great mobile experiences faster. Native apps. Mobile APIs. Real-time analytics. One Platform.

Work for Appcelerator?

Learning about Appcelerator?

Appcelerator Reviews

Ask Appcelerator a Question
Showing 39 Appcelerator reviews
Appcelerator review by Chandan S.
Chandan S.

"A cross-platform based hybrid app development API"

What do you like best?

Appcelerator Titanium is cross-platform based hybrid app development API. It allows developers to write their apps in JavaScript, which is then complied for each supported platform. Using APIs that interface directly with each platform’s native APIs, it provides a native look-and-feel plus native performance.

What I likes the most is:

- Easy and quick development for a web developer (as it is written using JavaScript, TSS - which very much similar to css)

- Extensive support with strong API

- Supports Android and iOS (which is quite very useful)

- Re-usability of code, while converting it from one platform to other with small small UI tweaks

What do you dislike?

Although it is easy to develop, but things which worries is:

- Memory leakage issue (there is huge memory issue, you have to manually handle it)

- Rich and advance UI elements support (it doesn't provides more advanced UI elements)

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is really good to start with in order to build cross-platform development. Although there are some limitation but from my experience I am saying like: it is improving alot from one after one releases and trying to reach the users requirement.

And as compare to other cross-platform API like PhoneGap; I found Appcelerator Titanium is more reach.

Although each of the cross-development platforms above have their individual strengths and weaknesses. Which one you choose as an individual or organization depends on your requirements for app performance, look-and-feel

Each of the cross-development platforms above have their individual strengths and weaknesses. None is a clear winner over the other yet.

Which one you choose as an individual or organization depends on your requirements for app performance, look-and-feel and how comfortable your current development staff is with a particular language or IDE. You should also take into account testability and the level of code reuse you wish to obtain.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Appcelerator
Appcelerator review by Suresh B.
Suresh B.

"Titanium is one of the best cross platform tool "

What do you like best?

Appcelerator studio is a cross platform tools .I am working with this tool from last 8 months.It is a nice platform where you can use native app features .It uses's javascript so who are good at javascript easily develop apps as soon as possible.I used some of the functionalities in my app like Gps and call functionality and gmaps.No need to go for platform dependent languages

What do you dislike?

here chat with appcelerator will get late response from them and not yet good community site. laggy when working with animation.Not yet all speed response from appcelerator chat members.And when i updated to new sdk need to upgrade my old code to new sdk is some what painfull..

Recommendations to others considering the product

developing cross platform app in both android and ios .It is used to develop native apps .Hopefully takes less span time to completed your app if is easy application

Presently we are in development of an ios app where we are using native functionalities like gps, calling and send messages ,gmaps ,camera functionality. And i am not yet good with other technologies and i am feeling very happy to us appcelerator .

What Mobile Development Platforms solution do you use?

Appcelerator review by User in Computer Software

"Quick cross platform option."

What do you like best?

Single language for cross platform apps. Single source code, with minor tweaks. Integrates well with source control. Smooth prototype to production. I am able to make a change and see it immediately on the live view, I don't have to refresh, just "Save". The ability to use a language like JS allows a quick build and deploy. If I have a question the community base of JS allows me to look around and find my answer relatively quickly.

What do you dislike?

IDE can be slow. Updates didn't always work. Since the acquisition by Axway some added stability has improved. Some of the UI build features which come standard in other IDE's are only available in the higher tiers, while this was not a deal breaker because of LiveView, it is something that can be improved.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a try. It is not a hybrid. The speed from prototype to final product is smoother and easier than any other multi-platform system I have used.

Single code base for cross platform applications. With small differences both major platforms can be built quickly with native look and feel. The live view allows a quick change to be shown quickly. If I need to make color changes, or text size changes with the customer in attendance, I can go over it quickly which allows both of us to have input on the final product. They are happy and get the app out faster.

Appcelerator review by doris M.
doris M.

"app celerator"

What do you like best?

I especially like because Its main products are the IDE Titanium , a development environment open source for coding platform applications for mobile devices, and Platform Appcelerator , a suite of software and libraries in which development is based , testing, analysis , debugging and deployment of such applications. Such products are often grouped simply under the name of Titanium or Titanium Framework

What do you dislike?

everything is excellent , nothing I dislike this app because apart from all Applications developed with this technology are based on the Javascript language, with use of an API platform itself , the interpretation of the code

Recommendations to others considering the product

100 % recommended for all general public and for people who want agility in service or app

many benefits as it is very simple to use and very fast when giving answers

Appcelerator review by sai jayanth p.
sai jayanth p.

"Cross platform mobile application development"

What do you like best?

One time code for developing android and IOS mobile apps.

Appcelerator team support on issues which we face and addressing them

Documents provided with concepts explanation in detail.

Sample application for reference.

What do you dislike?

UI components should be further improvised so that dependency on external modules will be reduced.

Small UI customization requires a lot of change with respect to its css attributes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For instant app building on different mobile OS then we can opt for titanium.

There is lot of support available in the market place for modules to include and use.

appcelerator team supports with the issues or any required information if we post a request.

Developing a two android application one for sakai mobile[android and IOS] and other is GStandupPoker app[only android] for JIRA. which is a project and user management system.

With retrospective and resolution approach.

Appcelerator review by Reinholds Z.
Reinholds Z.

"Right tool for the right environment - easy and fast way of getting your idea to multiple platforms."

What do you like best?

Simple and intuitive interface that helps creating the product quickly.

What do you dislike?

Every time with version upgrade we're forced to rewrite most of our projects.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You should try it because just reading about it will not help you to make decision. It is pretty simple to use when setup is done. Greatest thing about the product is that you easily get your idea to app and from app you can easily get an app ported to multiple platforms and then just test them all and publish in respective app stores. That was our main drive when we decided to use Appcelerator for our portfolio projects. Currently we have two our own apps that are published both in Apple Appstore and Google Play, as well we have made an app for client that also used Appcelerator for making it available to both Apple and Google. One thing regarding porting application to multiple platforms is that you should bear in mind that by default Appcelerator is not creating fully native interfaces from scratch therefore there will be required some polishing work to make the app look like you or your designer imagined it. Of course that means that one should know a bit more that HTML and CSS because you will need to make changes in native code - in case of Apple it is in Xcode, in case of Goole - Android Studio.

We made a couple of simple apps that are easily ported in both iOS and Android.

Appcelerator review by Alberto L.
Alberto L.

"Appcelerator is Cool"

What do you like best?

Appcelerator is a fantastic platform development. In the four years that I have worked with her it has allowed me to generate fantastic mobile applications for customers in Mexico and the United States. The Support on iPhone Development is the further evolution while Android has been increasingly striving to improve. Also have your own Cloud platform saves Backend development investment.

What do you dislike?

Failing to create custom controls as if generated through the Native Development

Recommendations to others considering the product

consider the use and implementation of Appcelerator (Titanium Appcelerator Studio, ACS) will allow a development company with a small budget to work and deliver IT solutions for iPhone and Android to their customers quickly and with quality support.

With Appcelerator I developed applications to solve Mobility in Mexico City in conjunction with the Secretary of mobility. Using GPS, Geolocation apps have been created for platforms of potential customers through advertising agencies.

Appcelerator review by Benjamin P.
Benjamin P.

"Native or not?"

What do you like best?

I enjoy that you can write code in one language (JavaScript) and kind of translate it to all major platforms. This gives the ability to make easy mockups and simple applications. I wrote my first application for iOS using Titanium many many years ago when Appcelerator just started. At that time cross-compilers were still rare and Titanium one big hit from a developer perspective. We even considered to use it at my old company.

What do you dislike?

Being a programmer sometimes I have to be nosey and look under the hood. When evaluating the sizes of the applications I noticed that applications that are generated with Titanium have at least a certain file size. This is happing for the fact that almost all modules are embedded in every application to translate the JavaScript on the fly into native code. Yes, somehow it is native, but on the other side it stays not native. At that time when evaluating the file sizes it was still a no-go for us, since our target user group would be people with mobile contracts which unlikely have fast internet available when downloading the app.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Please consider to give Appcelerator Titanium a try if you want a fast solution for your problem with a minimum of effort. It is easy to adapt and learn. But if your company want a rock solid solution that is state-of-the-art then I recommend to go for native only, which means you develop the apps for each platform separately.

I use TItanium for mockups and simple applications, but more for trial and proof-of-concepts rather than live app store apps. Like this even other coworkers can simply edit the mockups since it is purely written in JavaScript.

Appcelerator review by Ioannis K.
Ioannis K.

"Good for simple data apps, bad for a bit more complex apps."

What do you like best?

Appcelerator is a great cross platform tool, I love the fact that it uses native elements instead of reinventing the wheel, its fast to create an app once you get to learn it and maintaining one code base works really nice for me. Overal its a fun coding experience and I still use it today.

What do you dislike?

There are many bugs that are there for YEARS and still haven't been resolved and I don't think they ever will be resolved.

Many core features are still missing to this day and you have to rely on unstable, undocumented and unmaintained community code to do stuff that should be part of the main sdk.

There ARE memory leak problems that can be resolved with hacks (and I don't like hacks, I like clean and out of the box ways of dealing with my code).

To me it seems that the community is almost dead (most of the answers and questions you find are 3-4 years old).

The feeling I get is that the company tries a lot to keep up with Google and Apple in implementing new platform specific features and invests no time at all to update/maintain the existing code, in order to make it more robust or even implement some CORE features that are still missing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Appcelerator is not an one size fit all tool. Use it only for projects whose features are fully supported. Make sure that the community had no problem using the features you wish to support before you step into it because there are many cases of simple features that people using appcelerator still have a problem implementing.

Also I wouldn't trust appcelerator performance wise neither would I trust its community to get an answer to my question in time. At least not if I'm not paying for an enterprise subscription to get a quick answer directly from appcelerator, which I'm not doing at the moment.

I guess my suggestion is use it ONLY when you're absolutely certain its right for your spesific project. As most tools it has its advantages and disadvantages.

To me though, and thats totally a biased and personal opinion, appcelerator feels like it had its moment in the past, but is currently dying. I would gladly switch to another tool if it offered the same features in a more robust way and with a bigger community.

When I'm in charge for very simple projects I almost always use appcelerator. It's faster for me to make a working app with it than with anything else.

I have to be absolutely certain though, that the app won't receive any important updates in the future, and that I will not have any more complex feature demands for my app later on, otherwise I might get in the trouble of wasting too much time reinventing the wheel on features that other platforms already support.

I've spent so many hours in gitt.io looking for a third party module because appcelerator did not implement it as they should.

Appcelerator review by Anil M.
Anil M.

"Great experience building quick apps."

What do you like best?

Rapid cross platform mobile applications development. The MVC model is best suited for clean and quick application development. Any web developer can easily transition to building mobile apps using the same principles of web app development. The installation procedure is a breeze. great support for ubuntu OS.

What do you dislike?

lack of great documentation and assorted community support. The forums are not that helpful. I would like to more tutorials and exhaustive documentations with sample code. As the complexity of the app increases there is clear lag in the app performance, hopefully that will be fixed.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Ease of use. Faster development.

games and social apps. faster delivery. Building applications faster has not been more easier. Compared to frameworks like cordova, appcelerator is by far the quickest I know.

Appcelerator review by Mike D.
Mike D.

"A great way to build native apps"

What do you like best?

Titanium is a great way to build native apps for the both major platforms (iOS and Android). Using only Javascript, you can build 2 apps reusing 60-90% of the code. It have a CLI (Command-Line Interface) that is pretty good for automate things and unit testing.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the support of the new features of the OS comes with bugs. The IDE is eclipse-based.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There is another platforms that is growing up like NativeScript, React Native and Xamarin that may you want to take a look too.

I was able to build an app for both platforms using a common code-base. The UI code wasn't reusable, but the core logic was the same for both platforms.

Appcelerator review by TJ S.
TJ S.

"Breaking into the world of Mobile Apps using Native Web Technologies"

What do you like best?

That I can take the knowledge I already know about HTML, CSS, JS, Backbone and apply it to mobile apps. I also love that it's not just a web app wrapped in a web view. It's an actual Native Mobile Application that works for iOS and Android. I specifically use the Alloy.js Framework that Appcelerator has created.

What do you dislike?

My only dislike would be the lack of Windows Phone Support and the lack of any game development.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For native mobile applications, this is the way to go. I would not recommend this for game development. I have built 4 data-drive dynamic Mobile Applications for both iOS and Android that are super easy to maintain.

The main business problem that this helps us solve is the inability to hire talent that is sufficiently skilled in iOS or Android Development. Titanium Appcelerator allowed all of our current web developers to jump right in and start making apps.

Appcelerator review by User in Design
User in Design

"A streamlined way to develop for multiple platforms"

What do you like best?

Titanium is probably the easiest way for web developers to become mobile developers, and create native apps that are fast, reliable and responsive. Coming from a primarily front-end html/css/javascript background, the language and structure were all quite familiar and relatively easy to pick up. From memory, I was up and running within days, and released my first appcelerator app within 2 months - making the #1 spot in the category for a few weeks over the Summer.

The community surrounding this product is also exceptional, as is the support. I've been to a few Titanium conferences, and the people that use this product are all extremely passionate (and smart). So in short, you're going to feel very welcomed and supported when you join in the online (and offline) discussion.

What do you dislike?

The IDE itself is a little lacklustre in it's appearance. You really feel like a developer as the interface is so utilitarian and cold. Once you get past the appearances you find that there's a very clean and easy to use tool underneath. Appcelerator sure could do with a good UI designer though.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give Titanium a go - it's really worth the time and effort to get going. You can probably get up to speed in a couple of days, and possibly even launch within a few weeks (depending on complexity).

Streamlining development between iOS and Android primarily. The results are fantastic - being able to launch on multiple platforms in such a short window of development time is a lifesaver in this fast paced world. The other big benefit is being able to beat other companies in terms of budget. Appcelerator reduces the time and resources needed to build and launch on multiple mobile platforms.

Appcelerator review by Irving Emmanuel G.
Irving Emmanuel G.

"Mobile developer"

What do you like best?

Capacity for use a native UI controls, you can write your native controls as well.

What do you dislike?

The performance on some really simple things, such as navigation between windows . Im not sure if this things is on correct place but, the IDE is so bad, we have a lot of problems with the configuration and node versions.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If the time to develop an solution is a problem and the performance is not, you have to switch to appacelrator.

Time is the main problem when the company decided use appcelerator, you are able to have a MVP in a short time. With native platform you can spend 2 or 3 times more resources and so, and finally you get a similar product.

Appcelerator review by Victor C.
Victor C.

"Appcelerator reduces your time to market with native cross-platform."

What do you like best?

I will summarise in bullets points:

- Unique code database, keep your App very easy to maintain

- Uses JavaScript as code language, it is more easy to programming than Obj-C/Java

- You can use all famous JS libs inside your app like (MomentJs...)

- Very good performance.

- The framework Titanium is open-source.

- As a freelance you can sell two-flavours app with a special price.

What do you dislike?

-Need a little bit more collaboration of the community

-At the begging it a little bit tricky to start, but easy to master;

-I think the new price plan can be improved for starters, i know that they are working on it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Its a good start point for web dev in the way of mobile dev; Because at the end, its JS/TSS( a subset of css)/XML. Then you learning curve is very reduced; You can starting doing Appcelerator/Titanium things, and at same time mastering the concepts of the mobile dev.

Mobile Software Development.

I can start more business, because my time to market was reduced.

Appcelerator review by User in Computer Software

"Great cross platform tool, easy to extend the API to fit your needs"

What do you like best?

With the Appcelerator Platform I am able to build a cross platform application (from one code base project) with extensive native API reach. I love that Appcelerator apps run on the native JS core for the respective platform, making the code I write run more efficiently with less lag than some of the other web offerings for cross platform capabilities. For me, the ability to extend the API is key to our success using the platform. We have unique needs for custom hardware and we were able to write custom native modules to integrate our hardware API into the Appcelerator JS layer. I also use the Alloy MVC framework quite heavily and really like the widgets feature of the platform. We write widgets for UI and core logic to be shared with all applications within our organization. This cuts down on code duplication and speeds up the time to market for new projects. Also a time saver for developers is the integration of Genymotion to the development studio. We have found the native Android emulator to be an impediment to development and Genymotion fills that gap nicely. Genymotion requires only a plugin to eclipse, which is compatible with Appcelerator studio. The extensive developer community is another reason we chose Appcelerator. Its quite easy to find answers online from other users, or ask a question yourself and you will receive an answer in a timely manner. We also subscribe to the paid support access and will ask project specific or critical time sensitive questions there. We have had a good experience with their support staff, if they are not able to solve our problem or find that there is a bug int he API a JIRA ticket is filed and fixed typically in the next patch release.

What do you dislike?

With any development suite you will run into bugs. Appcelerator is no exception to this. We tend to wait a few weeks after a new major API version to let the bugs get worked out and usually take up work with a new version upon release of the first patch update. Sometimes it can be a waiting game for a certain new platform features to be implemented into the Appcelerator Platform API; Unless of course you, or someone out in the developer community creates a module or widget to expose that functionality. The documentation can sometimes be incomplete or out of date. They recently opened up their documentation to the open source community for contribution so hopefully time will bridge this gap.

The enterprise subscription can be expensive. The cost is based on head count with access to the dashboard and development features. In comparison to our previous vendor the cost is not based on application deployed so we save on being able to deploy multiple applications and future growth. The value is in the features and services that we get from our subscription as opposed to the cost going into maintaining the servers hosting the UI for each individual app as with some other offerings.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You can get started with Appcelerator for development purposes for free! Create an account and download the studio, you can deploy to a simulator or directly to a device without paying for a platform subscription. In order to deploy to a store or archive package you will then need to purchase a subscription. Consider how valuable it is for you to be able to deploy one code base to multiple platform targets. If you only care about developing towards one platform, Appcelerator will probably give you more overhead than benefits, an exception there being the language barrier. We found that Javascript was more universally understood among our developers than either of the two most popular native platform languages (Java or Obj C\Swift). If you are even remotely considering deploying to a second platform in the future, you would benefit from using Appcelerator now, and deployment to a second or even third platform (windows is also supported) will be minimal work.

We use Appcelerator to build cross platform applications and to share common UI and functionality across multiple mobile projects. Sharing of code has saved us countless development hours, and our users benefit from fewer bugs being duplicated and a common UI experience. Javascript is a universal language among our developers who otherwise code in a variety of different server side languages depending on the team they work on. The platform itself is easy to pick up and use with minimal learning curve. Honestly the largest curve is setting up your Apple developer environment with certificates and profiles, which has nothing to do with the Appcelerator platform. The developer studio is easy to use as its a custom modification of Eclipse which is familiar for the majority of our developers. We utilize the CLI features for our CI builds and to automate our unit test runs.

"Appcelerator mobile platform"

What do you like best?

It is fairly easy to write a mobile app using this software. It is mostly in Javascript, which many developers are familiar with. It's really nice not having to create the same app for each mobile platform and learn the programming language used for each.

The "widget" functionality is nice. It's good to be able to package up a piece and share it between apps. I think the sharing part could be a little better but having a separate folder for a "widget" is way better than having to pull out individual files and assets. Appcelerator has fixed some issues for us that made widget packages incomplete, so they have been very responsive to our issues.

The crash data is very useful. Appcelerator also offers analytics, though it doesn't seem like the analytics suite is as full featured as a service that purely does analytics.

What do you dislike?

We have stopped taking major releases and now wait for a minor release to follow. There are often major issues with updates and there is not an easy way to roll everything back. It seems like the quality assurance isn't quite up to snuff - LiveView is broken quite often and is one of the most useful features.

It seems like the people at Appcelerator that are actually developing mobile apps are not using many of the main features of the software. I don't think a lot of them are using Appcelerator Studio as I have watched them give several presentations and most of them use a text editor and build via the command line.

We had some major issues with pieces of the Appcelerator portfolio. Specifically, the automated testing, which we decided against using, opting instead for a mostly in-house solution built on Appium. It took weeks to get a critical issue fixed. We were entirely unable to use the testing framework during that time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take advantage of widget functionality if you want to make multiple apps that look alike.

We need to provide a mobile app for our users on multiple platforms. We need to easily integrate with credit card swiper hardware in order to accept credit card payments. The Appcelerator platform allows us to fairly easily create multiple mobile apps with the same components. We were able to integrate with our credit card swiper and we have taken a lot of payments with it.

Appcelerator review by Clément N.
Clément N.

"A nice "

What do you like best?

I like the full Javascript approach. This enable developers without any experience in mobile app development (java or Objective C / Swift) to start building apps really quickly. UX and business process are both designed with JS. A great documentation is provided to help you with examples.

What do you dislike?

Most of the time, I had to be really careful when performing a migration for major updates. This processes used to break some of our apps. Thus, there is always some time to wait before you can update your apps to the new versions of Android or iOs SDKs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be careful about updates. Make sure to update your apps on a regular basis, to avoid any build fails.

Appcelerator Titanium allows us to create application for two systems really quickly, with native feature at a really competitive costs.

Appcelerator review by Shiva A.
Shiva A.

"Best cross platform solution"

What do you like best?

As the name goes, Appcelerator did help me accelerate my development work, with few lines of code I was able to accomplish tasks very easily. The framework is build loose and is very flexible to customize to our requirement. Due to immediate business requirement from client, I had to develop a prototype in just few days, Thanks to Appcelerator it just nailed the job. Helped me to build an app rapidly for all the platforms. Client was happy and gave us the contract of native applications immediately. I found lot of help in community like Stack Overflow and Github, and of course the Appcelerator community itself.

What do you dislike?

Biggest dislike over Appcelerator is the app was not as smooth as a native application, it lagged at times. The API seemed to be flexible but in time uncovered lot of limitations which pushed me to search for other modules of which many of them are paid and are not available for free.

The biggest problem we had was time, we needed to deliver prototypes in time to get the native apps contract. I believe the best purpose of Appcelerator would be to build a prototype of a base application. I have built 4 applications in Appcelerator, and I liked it due to my expertise in JavaScript.

Appcelerator review by Timothy S.
Timothy S.

"Appcelerator"

What do you like best?

I like the IDE and the web dashboard. They are very clean and standard. Everyone has used Eclipse before so this is nothing new. If you know NodeJS again, minimal learning curve.

The tools support Mac, Windows and Linux so you have your choice of environment. This is a big issue with startup developers and consultants.

The UI is clean and very easy to use. If you have used Titanium, PhoneGap, Sencha or any of the dozen of other platforms you will find this a very solid solution.

Also the documentation is very large and solid and searchable.

What do you dislike?

It's not the fastest, it's not open source and I would like some other language option for development.

For some these are not a big deal. It is easier to use then some of the other solutions and more tightly integrated between CLI, Tools and MBAAS then the open source solutions out there.

I would like to program in Java or Scala for most work and that's not the focus here.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Sign up for the free trial and start using it. Try the IDE and CLI and do some example applications. If you know NodeJS then it's a great tool to try.

We wanted rapid cross platform mobile and web development from one tool and one platform at an affordable price. This is possible with this platform if you have the correct skillset and developers. You still need strong Javascript and NodeJS to build a proper application

Appcelerator review by Joseph L.
Joseph L.

"Rarely the right tool for the job"

What do you like best?

Appcelerator allows developers to write native feeling mobile applications in JavaScript. The tool creates a bridge between a hidden web browser (a logic layer) and native ui component libraries (a graphic layer).

The bridge between the logic layer and graphic layer appears to be a good idea at first. You'll quickly find yourself developing a native feeling app in JavaScript.

Installing Titanium Studio (an Appcelerator product) is easier than installing both xCode and Android Studio.

The documentation is well written.

What do you dislike?

Because development with Appcelerator relies on a library to access native components, you'll have to wait to access newly released native features. When beacon support was introduced on iOS, Appcelerator developers could not develop for beacons until the Appcelerator supported beacons. AirDrop, 3D Touch, Apple Pay, and Apple Watch are all native features that are only usable when Appcelerator supports them.

Any non-native framework will have the issues I've described above.

Developing in a non-native framework, Appcelerator included, inevitably leads to hard to debug issues. As you write more feature rich apps with Appcelerator, you'll consistently find yourself running into more complex problems which are increasingly harder to debug.

Appcelerator has the worst developer community I've ever seen. Threads on StackOverflow are almost non-existent. Appcelerator's hosted Q&A section is littered with poorly phrased questions with no answers.

Recommendations to others considering the product

My "quality of support" answer is based on questions asked in Stack Overflow and their free Q&A section. Appcelerator provides paid support which I have not tried.

I've used Appcelerator to write marketing, health-care, personal, and advertising based apps. I've had similar results with each business sector.

Appcelerator review by Michelle J.
Michelle J.

"Good tool for cross platform design"

What do you like best?

As a nonprofit, we were looking for a platform that would allow us to design an app for use on multiple devices that didn't require customization. We connected with an Appcelerator Titan who provided a lot of support and guidance. We really liked the testing capabilities and crash reports, These features helped reduce our cost for technical support.

What do you dislike?

The analytics could be better. The tool was not intuitive and seemed to be designed from a developer perspective and not the client perspective

Appcelerator helped us get an app to market quickly and track performance. Having an app allowed us to connect in a new way with our community who is very mobile.

Appcelerator review by User in Computer Software

"Quick app development with a few pain points"

What do you like best?

Once you have a solid base going, it's very easy to bang out apps for all platforms. Widgets are very easy to drop into pages, and the syntax mimicking standard web dev languages and practices (javascript, css, MVC) make it relatively easy to pick up. The documentation for everything is also pretty solid.

What do you dislike?

It isn't quite as flexible as advertised when it comes to being a single solution for all platforms - a fair amount of customization is required for iOS vs Android and versions within each. There is no getting around that in app development and it's still definitely better than having to deal with home grown versions of everything, but it still wasn't quite as seamless as expected, so we ended up prioritizing iOS and pretty much abandoning android completely as a result, at which point it's debatable how much value you're really getting from this type of platform.

Recommendations to others considering the product

All in all it's a good product, but working within a framework can always be a little frustrating when it doesn't do exactly what you want it to.

In short, we needed apps. The mobile marketplace is growing and it's unrealistic and unsustainable to not grow with it. Our apps are aimed at on-site events where access to a computer is an impractical request, so we needed to grow with the mobile landscape and create partner apps for our core products. Appcelerator allowed us to do this faster and more robustly than if we had created them completely from scratch.

Appcelerator review by User in Internet

"Loved Appcelerator for creating my MVP of an app"

What do you like best?

I was able to build an app, without a lot of experience, through to having it in the app store. I also really liked the community, and how many examples there were out there. Of all the cross-platform frameworks, I felt like Appcelerator had the largest community (with base of questions and problems answered) and a lot of easy to understand examples. I especially liked the "Kitchen Sink" app which allowed you to easily click through most native functions and copy and paste the JS into your code.

What do you dislike?

I didn't like the feeling of being locked into their cloud solution. I wanted to use Parse, for example, and felt like that was frowned upon. The marketplace of code and plugins always seemed like a great idea, but the quality of product in that marketplace always left me dissatisfied.

Getting an app up and running quickly, with one inexperienced mobile developer, and getting it in the app store.

Appcelerator review by Consultant in Information Technology and Services
Consultant in Information Technology and Services

"Appcelerator is great product for mobile development platform.. I recommend it."

What do you like best?

It is a Eclipse-based IDE and It used for rapidly build, test, package, and publish mobile apps through the Appcelerator..

It provide a self created logging solution works particularly well for Titanium apps as it points out which section of your code and obviously any device features being requested caused an issue that stopped the app from functioning.

Titanium’s applications are written in JavaScript with the use of a special Titanium SDK that allows access to the required frameworks. It also good for Javascript client framework, who knows javascript it really helpful to develop application very creatively.

What do you dislike?

It doesn't offer a screen design tool, and developers create and modify apps through the code only. CSS isn't used either.

I think other things are ok.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Need to improve GUI tools with Appcelerator SDK/Environment..

we can get good benefits to create Global application, and share logic to different devices..

can make Hybrid application, its great choice who want to make application for various devices..

Appcelerator review by Consultant in Internet
Consultant in Internet

"Mostly a back-end (good) experience with Titanium"

What do you like best?

One code for many platforms. I have to say I did use Titanium but in 2013 so my experience with the product is not up to date but back then when React Native or similar did not exist, Titanium was the easy way to go multi platform with native support by writing a single JavaScript code.

What do you dislike?

I was in charge mostly of the back-end but when I was affected to some front end task that was becoming messy very quickly due to different android versions + different phone models...It was such a big pain that I used to thank god all the time to be mostly a back-end dev at this time...

Recommendations to others considering the product

Titanium is definitly worth trying !

The real benefits is to build a very good MVP until you have the funds to create native apps. That is extremely valuable, many startups achieve some initial growth needed to raise money thanks to Titanium !

Appcelerator review by ronner m.
ronner m.

"app celerator"

What do you like best?

Maybe because it is a suite of software and libraries in the development, testing , analysis , debugging and deployment of such applications it is based.

What do you dislike?

everything is very good nothing I dislike about this app..

Recommendations to others considering the product

recommended 100 % for the general public

many benefits that I could try and test app ...

Appcelerator review by Michael R.
Michael R.

"I wrote an iOS application with appcelerator."

What do you like best?

I think it is very concise, rather than lots of ObjectiveC you can do a lot in a few lines of javascript.

What do you dislike?

Generally it was really well put together, but the upgrade process was a bit of a pain. Cross platforming is also a little bit difficult but that is a huge problem anyway with mobile application development.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Historically the produce has been excellent and continuously evolving as new features have been created. I noticed just today that Appcelerator has been purchased

We were trying to make an application for both iOS and Android. We didn't end up shipping the android version but that wasn't appcelerators fault.

Appcelerator review by Frank E.
Frank E.

"Built many apps with Appcelerator Titanium for both Android and iOS"

What do you like best?

That it enables you to share code (mainly regarding business logic) between different platforms.

That the syntax of the APIs is JavaSript.

What do you dislike?

The performance is limited because out of the box only having acccess to a single code execution thread.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Check whether the characteristics of your app concept and future requirements qualify for a Titanium implementation. Ti is not the perfect platform for any type of app, e.g. a 3D game.

Sharing client side JavaScript code between web applications, iOS and Android apps.

Having to test certain scenarios / user stories only once, since this logic is shared and platform agnostic.

Appcelerator review by Ijem O.
Ijem O.

"One of the best hybrid app creation platform"

What do you like best?

The ease of use and ability to leverage existing web development skills

What do you dislike?

The heavy tie-in to the company's platform.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking to create hybrid applications, definitely give Appcelerator Titanium a try.

Creating apps that run on all the relevant platforms from a single code base

Appcelerator review by Ahmad M.
Ahmad M.

"Go to market quickly"

What do you like best?

Developing apps with web based technologies allows you to deploy the product to the app store quickly. Most of the customers just want this, they don't want a native app. Titanium allows to to rapidly prototype and then deploy a solution to the store.

What do you dislike?

Some performance issues, and some native apis are not available. not all apps can be built with titanium.

developing app for iOS and android app stores.

quick development is made possible by titanium.

Appcelerator review by Administrator in Research
Administrator in Research

"The definitive platform for iOS and Android Apps with a single codebase"

What do you like best?

Titanium provides the best alternative for single codebase mobile apps in the market.

What do you dislike?

Arrow, Push and Crash Report platforms are very expensive, specially for emerging markets.

Support for latest iOS and Android features takes some time to be available.

Push is always complicated.

Android needs more refinements.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Go for it. It will save you a lot of time and produce very performant apps.

we are a mobile crowdsourcing startup in Brazil with 300.000+ users and apps for both iOS and Android.

Appcelerator review by Eduardo R.
Eduardo R.

"Provided fast development but really no benefits on cross-platform features"

What do you like best?

Wide range of plug-ins, support for Javascript, potential support for multiple platforms from one code base.

What do you dislike?

Slow IDE. Really no benefits of the multi-platform capabilities. We had to create one fork of the project for each platform (iOS, Android and BlackBerry)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be careful when thinking that you can have one code base for multiple platforms.

We needed to develop a mobile banking application. Our developers were already familiar with Javascript so they could do it pretty fast using Appcelerator.

Appcelerator review by G2 Crowd User in E-Learning
G2 Crowd User in E-Learning

"Best Platform to develop the cross platform"

What do you like best?

This is the best choice to develop the cross platform applications.With the single javascript code we can develop the apps.If the app is developed for android we can reuse the 60% of the code in ios and other platforms.

What do you dislike?

App designer is a very good approach to develop the screens visually.but we need to develop the each device separately like iphone 4s,iphone 5 and iphone 6 separately we need figure out alternatives, with single screen we need to complete for all devices.

Right now we are developing the apps for ios.

Appcelerator review by G2 Crowd User in Computer Software
G2 Crowd User in Computer Software

"Used this product for many customers who wanted to develop apps"

What do you like best?

It provides you a simple way to build an app with a native look and feel. Developers can write and Javascript and deploy to iOS and Android. This is a great product for web developers who don't want to learn Java/Objective C. It is also very quick to get an app up and running.

What do you dislike?

The SDK can be a little behind on the latest features of iOS and Android.

This was a good product to get a prototype out the door and leverage existing skill sets of web developers.

Appcelerator review by Anderson G.
Anderson G.

"Built a nice app with it"

What do you like best?

It was quick and easy to develop an iPhone app for a store catalog. I had good support to debug and test the code.

What do you dislike?

I don't remember anything I dislike about it.

Develop mobile apps. Despite the fact I only worked in an iOS app, I made quick tests and it was nice to see the same app running in iOS and Android.

Appcelerator review by Sotir N.
Sotir N.

"Mobile App development"

What do you like best?

It helps you to programmer for IOS and Android. The company has a good support act if I need help

What do you dislike?

It is not easy to use for beginners like me.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It seems the company is developing properly

When you create an application works on Android and IOS

"Good for simple apps"

What do you like best?

* Web oriented ( Javascript, HTML, CSS )

* The Framework Titanium is open source

* The IDE (Appcelerator Studio) and the web dashboard is very nice

* The IDE is supported for Windows, Mac and Linux

What do you dislike?

* Has a large community but not much active

Recommendations to others considering the product

If the performance is not a problem, you should try it

As freelance we can be offer a good price for apps simple

Appcelerator review by User in Computer Software

"Developed apps using Titanium Mobile platform"

What do you like best?

Cross platform, Open Sourced, JavaScript language and good GUI tool: Titanium Studio and good technical supports from Appcelerator engineering team.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes bugs were not easy to fix and walk around were not easy to find if there were bugs in the platform. Not very efficient for development and spent a lot of time for fighting bugs and Android caused a lot of issues comparing with native development.

Fast dev cycle and easy to demo to business guys.

Learning about Appcelerator?

* We monitor all Appcelerator reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.