AppColl

AppColl Prosecution Manager is a cloud-based IP management product designed to significantly increase productivity while reducing both the costs and risks of running a small patent firm or corporate IP group.

Work for AppColl?

Learning about AppColl?

AppColl Reviews

Ask AppColl a Question
Showing 25 AppColl reviews
AppColl review by <span>Axel N.</span>
Axel N.

"Patent Law Automation"

What do you like best?

I have been using Appcoll since 2014, when my firm had outgrown a homemade docketing solution. Since then, Appcoll has become a key tool to help my firm grow efficiently.

One of the best features is its automatic import of USPTO PAIR data through XML files. It saves time, but maybe even more importantly it serves as a quality control tool. Appcoll marks any discrepancies between USPTO data and its internal data. I have found spelling mistakes between USPTO filing receipts and my docket that way before, which I would not have otherwise.

Over the years I have customized Appcoll tasks to automate, as much as possible, recurring task. Reporting a filing receipt has become a matter of just a few clicks - and the client receives an automatically generated email with the receipt attached.

What do you dislike?

In short: There is nothing I really dislike about Appcoll. Yes, there have been a few bugs in the application at times, but the Appcoll team has always been responsive and fixed those when alerted to them.

Appcoll is an integral part of managing all aspects of my firm's activities. As you would expect from a docketing system it keeps track of applications and related tasks. Beyond that, I use it as much as possible to also replace the need for an assistant: Appcoll prepares reminder emails that I glance over and forward to clients. It prepares pretty much all of my forms for filing new applications.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about AppColl
AppColl review by <span>Kristine A.</span>
Kristine A.

"Function, price point, customer service, and adaptability: GREAT"

What do you like best?

When I have an issue, the response is fast, personable, and effective. I've gotten prompt attention even outside business hours. We are a small office with a very complex client structure and unique needs; AppColl is flexible enough to make this work well, even at our small scale, and at a reasonable price. They are continually working to add useful features and to keep pace with PTO changes. I liked AppColl when we started using it, and I love it now.

What do you dislike?

There used to be some inefficiencies in using the system, but AppColl has both responded to our requests and innovated on their own to add useful features, so we have nothing to mention here.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I particularly encourage small firms that have no IT department to try AppColl because they are very supportive with both implementation and use. The more you understand how Access-type database systems work, the easier it is to implement and manipulate AppColl but that knowledge is not necessary for success, and that's the beauty of it.

Accuracy, organization, and efficiency are our main objectives. AppColl has helped us maximize all three. We can efficiently and effectively manage docketing of deadlines. IDS management is superb, saving us time and grief. Client letter and document creation is efficient and accurate. We have even finagled a way to create templates to use for EPAS (assignment) filings, which ensures accuracy while saving time. We can use our time to create and deliver a better product to our clients rather than wrestle with tedious clerical tasks.

What Intellectual Property Management solution do you use?

AppColl review by <span>Nancy M.</span>
Nancy M.

"Happy Long Time User"

What do you like best?

I appreciate the ease of use, breadth of features that make my job more efficient, responsiveness of the support team when I have a question or concern and the ability to setup my own task types to address my companies individual needs.

What do you dislike?

My schedule is so full that I lack time to keep up to date with all the new improvements and features available to me that would free up more of my time and that of my staff!

Recommendations to others considering the product

I highly recommend this program. I did trials on three other IP software programs and AppColl was the easiest to implement and understand and priced quite significantly below their competitors. The only reason it took us more than a few days to go live was my lack of time to make it happen.comments below. I do not at this time have access to the actual figures requested below.

Our business is deadline intensive based on communications from the US Patent and Trademark Office and foreign patent offices and AppColl helps to calculate, track and alert my staff of upcoming deadlines at a frequency that I establish. The result is far greater efficiency and accuracy so critical to the legal field.

AppColl review by <span>Carl T.</span>
Carl T.

"Best IPM System"

What do you like best?

Simplicity, flexibility, ease of use and learning, various features that allow us to provide useful information to clients as well as internal resources.

What do you dislike?

The ability to link with our document storage (e.g., OneDrive) would be nice, but the system is very close to perfect as it is.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Having used multiple IPM systems in the past, AppColl is the perfect one for us from multiple aspects. We would (and do) recommend to anyone. This is a hidden gem.

We use AppColl mainly for docketing, but also for reviewing status of cases, generating various reports on matters and tasks, generally managing our workload. The system is very easy to learn and to use. It is extremely easy to customize and fit to needs of individuals in the firm, as well as, clients. Automation aspects save us tremendous amount of time.

AppColl review by <span>Vinca P.</span>
Vinca P.

"Acceptable Cloud-Based Docketing Application"

What do you like best?

- cloud based

- pulls information from USPTO PAIR

- can link cases together so that Office Actions show up for IDS purposes

- The ease of creating IDS'

- The ease of using filters to create customized spreadsheets/reports

What do you dislike?

- Office Action tasks need to be marked as "Missed" in order for the subsequent task to show up; and if it is not marked as missed, the entire application could go abandoned by failure to respond to an Office Action

- I have not been able to figure out a way to create my own tasks to add to the Drop down menu of pre-created tasks

- I cannot customize some of the pre-set "Reports" that were created

- I cannot re-create an IDS once it has been created once because the "Create IDS" button disappears completely

- I cannot customize the task Drop Down menu in the Billing section to add in the descriptions

We are trying to solve the problem of docketing our patent prosecution matters. I've realized that this is an okay application for docketing, but not the best one.

AppColl review by <span>Dave O.</span>
Dave O.

"Couldn't image running my practice without AppColl"

What do you like best?

I love AppColl. I like that it's web-based so I can access it anywhere without horsing around with some antiquated VPN system. I like that it integrates with the USPTO's website to automatically download status updates for trademark matters, and now also you can manually instruct it to update patent matters from Private Pair once you've uploaded your credentials. I love that you can customize tasks and have automated emails be sent once specific events have occurred, or tasks have been created or closed. Simply put, this software allows me to run my practice without any administrative help because I have it set up to automatically generate all of my routine reminder letters/emails, as well as all of the template letters/emails that go out to clients. I also really like the Invoice module, which I use for all of my billing. I have been using this software for at least six years, and it has only gotten better with each update they put through.

What do you dislike?

From time to time I have come across bugs in the software. That being said, this happens less and less often, and they always strive to have it fixed as soon as possible.

AppColl is the single most important piece of software that I use on a daily basis. It handles my matter management, docketing, billing, and even automatically generates template emails and letters for me.

AppColl review by <span>Karrie W.</span>
Karrie W.

"AppColl is an exceptional product with great customer support - it is perfect for my IP practice"

What do you like best?

AppColl provides a very intuitive system with excellent help topics, learning modules, and accessible people to talk to if you have any questions. The billing module and timers help me efficiently track time, and invoice generation is very easy. The system also includes the ability to store references for IDS submissions, and generate USPTO forms from data entered into the system, which reduces risk of error. This is an overall exceptional product that takes care of all of my docketing and billing needs. I have already recommended it to several colleagues.

What do you dislike?

In 5 years use, I haven't found anything that I dislike. If I have had any issue or question, it is immediately resolved or answered. AppColl personnel are friendly and knowledgeable. I have only had the system go offline briefly ONCE in 5 years, and I use this product every day in my practice.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Exceptional product, with very accessible support.

Helps me streamline my docketing and information management; allows me to create USPTO forms directly from data in my records; very easily updated through USPTO and European systems; bililng module helps me efficiently track my time.

AppColl review by <span>Heather M.</span>
Heather M.

"AppColl is the gold standard for IP docketing, e-fileroom management and related invoicing."

What do you like best?

The system is so user friendly and intuitive that training isn't really required. Also, it's efficient to have all our information from docket tasks to fileroom to form email messages to invoicing all in one place. Whenever we ask for an additional feature or for assistance, the response from AppColl is surprising fast and thorough.

What do you dislike?

I can't think of anything I've asked them to change that hasn't been addresses already.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try the trial and you won't turn back. Also, AppColl will assist with your docket transfer, so the transferring process is much easier than expected.

We use AppColl for everything. We even open tasks to assist with workflow management. For example, (i) task ownership may be transferred between attorneys when one attorney drafts an app and another needs to review it or (ii) an attorney may open a paralegal task for a document to be prepared for review by a certain date. We also use docket lists for weekly meetings to review workflow, workload and discuss client challenges.

AppColl review by <span>Britten S.</span>
Britten S.

"Review of AppColl IP Docketing System"

What do you like best?

AppColl does a great job of pulling together a number of things: generation of actions based on templates; auto generation of emails; auto notification based on USPTO updates; basic docketing of patent and trademark items; tracking of prior art on IDS; central repository for storing files; task generation and tracking. In addition to all of that, AppColl provides such services in a very financially prudent price structure.

What do you dislike?

Like many startup companies, there is an often evolving framework of improvements. Such is the case with AppColl. However, even in view of such improvements, AppColl continues to maintain a very steady foundation of base features. Such improvements are simply that - improvements on an already great foundation.

Recommendations to others considering the product

At the price, the features cannot be beat.

When using AppColl on behalf of the IP Clinic I manage, AppColl allows me with tools that take the place of a paralegal assistant, including docketing matters, tracking matters, creating reports, assigning tasks, etc. The software system allows me to manage a wide group of individuals in a very efficient and effective manner.

AppColl review by Administrator

"Great IP management database"

What do you like best?

Support and tutorials are unparalleled. It's easy to use the database itself, but if there is ever a question, the answer can usually be found in the FAQs or tutorial videos, and if it can't be resolved, it's easy to send it to AppColl support for an answer. They are quick in responding and thorough. The ease of use of the database, too, is an advantage. It calculates dates appropriately and creating custom templates to run and generate dates is easy.

What do you dislike?

Nothing really. Currently I'm unable to create custom headings for my reports, which would save a bit of time, but it's not a deal-breaker.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Of all docketing software I've used, AppColl is the most robust and I recommend it to anyone who is looking for a database that does it all. Other databases are lacking in many things, but AppColl covers IDS cross-citing, billing, case linking, reports, and of course, docketing. AppColl has a great support staff that regularly puts out free tutorial videos and answers questions, as well as maintains a support database where you can search for your issue or question.

Docket and due date management, as well as IDS cross-citing. AppColl offers robust modules for these things, as well as the ability to store documents/cited references in the database itself. Also, custom reports for attorneys.

AppColl review by <span>Julianne F.</span>
Julianne F.

"Office Manager for IP Law Firm"

What do you like best?

Their task module and email notifications are amazing. I also love their invoicing module. The whole platform is perfect for an IP law firm.

What do you dislike?

Nothing - I love the AppColl platform!!!

Recommendations to others considering the product

I highly recommend AppColl IPM. It's truly the best system we've used and they are constantly adding or updating features to make it better.

AppColl helps us manage all of our IP matters and docket lists. We really benefit from using AppColl to streamline our work and have everything in one place - docket lists, references, documents, invoices, contact information. Their customer support is very responsive and great to work with.

AppColl review by <span>David B.</span>
David B.

"Patent and Trademark Docketing System That Just Works "

What do you like best?

AppColl is a feature-rich, highly customizable, no-nonsense docketing platform that just works. The support—both when an issue comes up and training—is top-notch.

What do you dislike?

It's not the prettiest software out there, but docketing doesn't need to be pretty.

Reliable docketing, automated preparation of forms and client reports.

AppColl review by <span>Julie A.</span>
Julie A.

"AppColl Docketing System"

What do you like best?

The ability to include EVERYTHING you need for the maintenance and review of patent applications, issued patents, trademarks and copyrights. The ability to adjust the docketing to our particular practice was easy and extremely useful.

What do you dislike?

Not really anything about it is unsatisfactory.

We have a better grasp on our patent, trademark and copyright docketing needs. The platform is easy to learn and easy to update. We have had better luck in maintaining our deadlines.

AppColl review by <span>Pat W.</span>
Pat W.

"Economical solution to docketing issues for Ip Attorneys"

What do you like best?

Easy to use. Automatically calculates the due date for everything required. Love the TDSR update feature. Love the form generator too.

What do you dislike?

Would love an app for my phone. the task list is sometimes unwieldy

While 90% of my billing is flat fee, I use the timer for those clients that are billed hourly. My malpractice carrier would not cover me without an electronic docketing system, so that is the first business problem solved.

"AppColl Review"

What do you like best?

The best features of AppColl are the ability to generate forms and documents that are pre-populated with the appropriate information for a matter, thereby eliminating the risk of human error data entry in the form creation.

What do you dislike?

There are two things I dislike. One, the reporting functions related to attorney billing, attorney collections, A/R, and other finance aspects are limited and not very user friendly. Two, we cannot really utilize multiple different customer numbers in form creation for different clients.

The main business problem we have solved is provided a functional docketing system that maintains each of our docket, prior art, and billing.

AppColl review by <span>Tomiko W.</span>
Tomiko W.

"Great technical support"

What do you like best?

I love the ease of using the software and that technical support has always gotten back to me quickly. They have also welcomed my suggests to help with improving the software.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that not all USPTO forms are available.

The need for docketing is being solved. The benefits realized are being able to implement processes with the use of AppColl.

AppColl review by <span>Silvia S.</span>
Silvia S.

"Easy"

What do you like best?

It is very easy to use and allows to perform many tasks within the same program

What do you dislike?

I do not like the way it allows to prepare reporting letters. I wish it was less convoluted.

I can docket my deadlines, fill up USPTO forms and prepare the invoices using the same program.

AppColl review by <span>Mary F.</span>
Mary F.

"Appcoll has been a great docketing tool for my firm"

What do you like best?

I like how scalable it is to the needs of my business and it’s technically supported well.

What do you dislike?

Wish there were warning pop ups that would indicate the thing your about to do can’t be undone etc. For example, merging contacts.

I use it for patent and trademark docketing, reports, and billing.

AppColl review by <span>Frank B.</span>
Frank B.

"Very happy with the product"

What do you like best?

Easy to use, makes PTO forms (ADS, IDS, etc.) easy to deal with.

What do you dislike?

I wish foreign (non-US) deadlines were dealt with better.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Foreign (non-US) patent docketing would be great.

Very solid US patent docketing system

AppColl review by <span>Karen M.</span>
Karen M.

"Love AppColl"

What do you like best?

Ability to customize, customer support is great

What do you dislike?

I do not dislike anything about Appcoll.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Highly recommend it for IP

Able to streamline work processes - especially cross-citing IDS filings.

"Responsive and adaptable"

What do you like best?

Software knows and automatically dockets all of the relevant patent and trademark deadlines so I do not have to! Customer service is very responsive, usually within a couple hours.

What do you dislike?

Invoicing is very clumsy, steep learning curve.

Manage my patent and trademark docket, invoicing, collections, tracking time spent.

AppColl review by Executive Sponsor
Executive Sponsor

"Unequivocally recommended"

What do you like best?

- Autodocketing of US actions

- USPTO form autofilling

- form letters

- billing module

What do you dislike?

Nothing comes to mind. It is top notch.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely try before you commit but it's great. Support is excellent.

It is the hub of my business.

"AppColl Review"

What do you like best?

The program have the ability to customize, as well as provides file management and billing capabilities

What do you dislike?

The program does not have entries for Appeal situations or National Stage / foreign countries situations

Creating shell documents to attain consistency in documents produced

"Legal Secretary"

What do you like best?

The program is very user friendly. I also like the articles and videos section.

What do you dislike?

I find adding a new task type to be unclear.

Keeping track of deadlines. I like the different types of reports that can be generated

"AppColl "

What do you like best?

Easily customized to fit our needs. Service is exceptional.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing I dislike about it right now.

file history, easy voting

Learning about AppColl?

* We monitor all AppColl reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.