Testing a mobile or web application can be difficult with all the operating systems types and versions, screen resolutions and other factors that vary between devices. Testing in-house for a small company is challenging and Applause comes to solve this problem.
They offer 'in the wild' testing, so your app is being tested on a variety of devices (and locations if needed) which makes the testing process as close as possible to real world usage.
Applause provides a good coverage of OSs and devices for testing, so it saves you from having to buy many devices for testing your app.
some of the main benefits are:
- You control the tests and can connect with Applause testers at any time.
- You are kept up to date regarding the status of the tests.
- It has a very intuitive user interface.
- If you need multilingual test, they provide testers in many locations that can test in their native language.
- Applause integrates with most of the popular bug tracking systems.
- The testers can attach a screenshot or video clip to the bug report.
- They offer good customer support.
Having testers who are not familiar with your app can add time to the testing process and may add test cycles.
Testers' skill leve can vary and so is their ability to dig deeper in the app to find more low level issues, so it takes a more detailed testing plan and test cases prepared by the developer.
Can take some time until you learn to use the service effectively and actually save on testing time.
The Applause service is expensive (but you do save on buying devices for testing).