macOS Sierra

macOS Sierra helps you rediscover your best photos, shop fast and conveniently online, and work between devices. It can also help free up storage space.

Work for macOS Sierra?

Learning about macOS Sierra?

macOS Sierra Reviews

Showing 67 macOS Sierra reviews
macOS Sierra review by <span>Viacheslav K.</span>
Viacheslav K.

Great replacement for Windows

What do you like best?

- Very stable OS, because it's based on Linux kernel

- You can install new version of OS even on old 2009 models

- Create and restore from backups using TimeMachine. You can be sure that all your info is stored and backuped on TimeCapsule or other similar devices

- Upgrades are free for all users

- A lot of software you have on Windows, you can have on Mac, for example all of the Adobe products, development envirionments, etc.

- Some Linux software also work on MacOS X

- You have Terminal, so you can fully control OS like in Linux

What do you dislike?

- Works only on Macs

- You can't find some specific software that you have on Windows, for example development envrionments

Recommendations to others considering the product

MacOS X is a great alternative for Windows, if you are a developer you can get very stable and easy to use machine with all the benefits of huge software choice and very user friendly interface

Very stable OS. You have almost everything software that you have on Windows platform. Using TimeMachine you can backup, restore your laptop and search for deleted files. If you are in the process of development, you can be sure that all of your data is secured.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about macOS Sierra
macOS Sierra review by <span>Johnpaul S.</span>
Johnpaul S.

Upgrade your OS at your own risk

What do you like best?

The best feature is the simplicity of the interface as well being able to use force quit when apps don't respond.

What do you dislike?

I wish I had a better experience with the OS. My issue seem to stem from the downloaded version available at the APP store. The computer takes 2 min to boot and my apps (Outlook, Photoshop and Lightroom) all quit without notice for no reason.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I usually find that the OS built into the computer works great, when upgrading via the App Store I have run into various issue which affect the computer. If you can stay with your current OS or take the computer to a tech for upgrading.

Ever since upgrading my OS from Snow Leopard, my computer has been unstable. I currently have a 27" IMAC setup with all the top hardware and legal software. I mostly use the computer to edit photos. I usually have Lightroom, Photoshop and a music app working at the same time and monitor the processes via activity monitor. My apps tend to stop working and the app quits for no reason. I have tried searching for answers on google as well as spoken to Genius' at the Apple store.

What Operating System solution do you use?

macOS Sierra review by <span>Mike K.</span>
Mike K.

NOT Recommended for Older Macs, unless you're trying to upgrade.

What do you like best?

Handoff is my favorite feature with Sierra as I am able to easily work on one device at home and another on the go. I use an iPhone, iPad, iMac, MacBook Pro, Apple Watch, and AppleTV, so I can have stuff everywhere. Another favorite feature of mine is Sierra's usage of iCloud. Now all of my files are stored both on my HDD and iCloud, which means that I can access my content from anywhere (even on iPhone). I no longer have to worry about forgetting my documents or worry about carrying a flash drive. Also, thanks to Sierra, I now can take advantage of Apple's AirDrop feature allowing me to send stuff across all of my devices because I had to replace my old MacBook.

What do you dislike?

MacOS sierra is not compatible with older Macs. I had an Early 2011 MacBook Pro, which completely crashed after the update. The day after updating the OS, I've noticed that my laptop's performance was sluggish, it wouldn't go into sleep mode, and it would shut down and reset itself randomly. I travel with my computer on a daily basis, and each day my laptop overheated in my backpack whenever I tried putting it to sleep. When I took it in, Apple claimed that the update corrupted my HDD and I had to replace it, which didn't help. I ended up upgrading to a new computer, a 2016 MBP and I've noticed that Sierra OS ran flawlessly on it. Ironically, two of my closest friends had similar issues with their Non-Retina MacBook Pros (2007-2011) and ended up having to upgrade to the latest Touch Bar MacBook Pos. I still believe that Apple made that move on purpose to increase new MacBook sales.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I only recommend for Macs that are 2014 or newer. My last MacBook was a 2011 and Sierra immediately crashed the HDD eventually leading to Motherboard issues.

This MacOS is going in a direction where it syncs all of your Apple devices together. Sierra came with my 2016 MacBook Pro, and I can see that the specs my new mac is packed with takes advantage of Sierra's benefits. Clean interface, Clipboard syncs well, and iCloud capabilities integrated into the program.

macOS Sierra review by <span>Aaron P.</span>
Aaron P.

Apple continues to refine it's desktop OS

What do you like best?

macOS Sierra is the 12th major version of macOS (formerly OS X), and at this point it is an extremely mature OS. Sierra brings a number of new features including Siri, a revamped Photos app, increased integration with iCloud and iCloud drive (Apple's Dropbox or Google Drive equivalent), as well as a multitude of under the hood improvements including Metal, Apples bare metal graphics API. A new root-less mode security feature (known as system integrity protection, or SIP) greatly enhances the Macs already strong history of being a secure OS. All-in-all, Sierra is a worthwhile upgrade to the venerable macOS.

What do you dislike?

At this point, macOS is extremely mature, having been first released over 16 years ago. As such, each major new version brings less and less revolutionary features and more evolutionary changes. Sierra is no different. There aren't too many major new features short of Siri - whose usefulness is somewhat questionable - and many of the under-the-hood advancement won't be seen by the average user. In addition, certain areas of macOS that could use some attention, such as the Finder and the Dock, have largely been ignored (neither the Finder nor the Dock have seen a major redesign since OS X Leopard, released 8 years ago). Some people will find SIP to be an issue when installing certain software, though it can be disabled.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If your Mac can support it, there is no reason not to upgrade.

Being an operating system, all Mac computers that can support it, are running Sierra. The differences b/w Sierra and El Capitan don't add to many obvious benefits, but it is comforting simply being able to run the latest and greatest technologies, as well as keeping up to date on bug fixes and security updates.

macOS Sierra review by <span>Bryan D.</span>
Bryan D.

Great Platform from Apple

What do you like best?

Simple to use, probably the best learning curve compared to other OS. Great features, very smooth. Easy to connect with servers. The terminal is very simple and a powerful tool. Siri's assistant is great with setting reminders, looking up things, etc.

What do you dislike?

When performing more complex operations it requires a bit more learning. Certain compatibility issues with certain software which do not run on MAC OS.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are willing to challenge yourself to learn a new operating system to become well rounded, I definitely encourage anyone to consider switching for at least a bit. For those wanting to consider in the long run, if macOS look at the things you really use it for and if you are willing to make some sacrifices, it might be something to at least look into.

Standard OS used in the company, allows for everyone to communicate smoothly. icloud is a great tool for backing up important projects.

macOS Sierra review by <span>Madhu S.</span>
Madhu S.

The best Operating System out there, but it could still be a bit better.

What do you like best?

Mac OS has always been the best Operating System bar none and this version polishes it even more.

Here are some general reasons why Mac OS is the best:

1) Intelligent design
Everything about Mac OS is very intelligently designed. Buttons are exactly where you would expect to find them. The interface is very good at prioritizing the most frequent menu commands so they are always accessible. More advance commands are hidden away, but sensibly you can access them with a single key store, so it’s not a chore to get to them.

2) Stable and snappy

Unlike other OSes, Mac OS is very stable and snappy. There are never any delays in using it.

3) Built in power tools

Mac OS comes with several advance power tools built in such as automatic backups, the ability to take screenshots, built in spell check and auto correct. These work really well and because they are built in, other 3rd party apps can access them allowing them to work seamlessly.

This new version adds several new features including:

Siri - Speak to your Mac

Universal tabs - Access tabs in every application

Picture in Picture - For easily viewing video while working with other applications.

None of the new features are earth shattering, but they are welcome refinements to an already amazing OS.

What do you dislike?

The biggest problem with Mac OS Sierra is that the new features are a bit unnecessary.

I never use Siri, because it’s quicker to type than to speak commands.

Picture in Picture is also another feature that I have no use for.

Universal tabs is awesome.

However, I wish Apple would fix other problems with Mac OS, such as the poor spell check which always misses even obvious misspellings. It would be nice if they had better window management tools. There are 3rd party apps that provide this, but it should really be built in.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you already own a Mac then you should upgrade to OS Sierra immediately. It’s fast and snappy even on older hardware. Each new version of Mac has improved security so by using an older version, you are leaving yourself vulnerable.

If you don’t own a Mac, then switch over today. You don’t know what you are missing! Obviously, not all Windows programs work on Mac. However, there are many Windows emulators available, so if you really need to use a Windows software then it might be possible to run it through emulation.

Mac OS is a core application to my business. I have tried switching to other OS such as Windows and Linux, but none of them are as well thought out as Mac OS. Windows in particular lacks all the awesome shortcuts and power tools that are built into Mac OS. Granted, you can download and install them, but then that wastes time. With Mac OS, everything is there and everything works seamlessly.

Learning about macOS Sierra?

* We monitor all macOS Sierra reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.