Apple OS X El Capitan

OS X El Capitan gives you simpler, smarter ways to do the things you do most with your Mac. Like working in multiple apps at the same time using Split View.

Work for Apple OS X El Capitan?

Learning about OS X El Capitan?

Apple OS X El Capitan Reviews

Showing 135 OS X El Capitan reviews
OS X El Capitan review by <span>Jeremy H.</span>
Jeremy H.

"I'm Sticking With Mac"

What do you like best?

The performance, readability, ease-of-use. All the same reasons I've liked Mac since the original release of OS X. It was a massive leap forward in my opinion and it's still getting better.

What do you dislike?

Not really a complaint about OS X as much as Apple in general. Their seeming fanaticism with their own policies and setting rules for everything drives me bonkers. It's the reason that, while I swear by Mac computers, I'm still on an Android phone.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it out, especially if you're on Windows now. Give it some time and learn the subtle differences. I bet you'll notice a massive improvement. Especially if you splurge on a nice Mac.

I work fast and efficiently on OS X. All the software I use runs fast and smooth. I feel as though I save a lot of time on OS X that would be spent waiting for things to load on Windows.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Apple OS X El Capitan
OS X El Capitan review by <span>Roger D.</span>
Roger D.

"Integrates well"

What do you like best?

I love having all my Apple products working together in harmony. I'm technical enough that I could make do and create all kinds of cool sync options even if things didn't work smoothly together out of the box ... but Apple makes it happen automatically. El Capitan keeps that tradition going nicely.

What do you dislike?

Sierra is the newest operating system Apple has as I write this, and its got Siri, which El Capitan lacks. El Capitan has always been extremely stable for me, though, which I appreciate. Also, Apple is notoriously less attractive to virus-makers than PCs are, which is great.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider the use for which you're intending to use the machine. Many major software packages these days create files that open just fine whether you're on a Mac or PC, but many of the minor programs are lagging in this regard. Think of who will have to open your files, and what software they're likely to have/use. Then let that determine the kind of machine and OS you get.

I work in a shop that's made mostly of designers and marketers of various kinds. We all prefer Apple products for creating great digital assets that are beautiful and rich with features. I've used Windows 7 extensively, but when I do, I instantly ache to return to the solid footing of my Mac with El Capitan.

What Operating System solution do you use?

OS X El Capitan review by <span>Justin C.</span>
Justin C.

"one of the best OS systems I've ever used"

What do you like best?

the main feature I like about the Apple OS X El Capitan is the continuation between my iMac, my Macbook Pro and my iPhone. Appstore is always getting better with awesome applications and that it is saving much more energy from the RAM which makes the Desktop / Laptop faster and smoother to use.

What do you dislike?

I miss the lack of touchscreen support, hopefully in the near future Apple with launch a new OS that has touchscreen capabilites and will put the OS also on the new iPad Pro to keep up with its name.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I use Apple OS X El Capitan on both my iMac and my Macbook Pro, as a designer and a photographer I found the OS great to work with and maintenance free. With the features it has it makes it easy to change from an old Desktop to a new one, even if you're moving from Windows to OS X.

I suggest you give it a try and if you're still not sure you should visit one of the Apple Stores and will give you a good tour of the OS X.

As regarding business, on the long run it will help especially with IT sector since it is maintenance friendly unlike its competitors. The lack of viruses is one of the main reasons that its is a better OS compared with the competition. Also if you take care of it, it can give you up to 5 - 7 years without any issues!

OS X El Capitan review by User in Marketing and Advertising

"The best OS so far. Great to work with at work. "

What do you like best?

Although I M not using Siri on Mac I find this operating system one of the best ines Apple has released in years. It is clear and intuitive. I love the launchpad and since I started using it it has been nothing but a pleasure to work with it.

What do you dislike?

Actually there is nothing that I really dislike about this OS.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Highly recommended. Apple builds great computers and even greater operating systems. And the best: future iOS updates come at no extra cost- You can just update it via the App store. That is perfect. Plus, the current El Capitan offers all functions you need for accomplishing your projects.

It is the driver of my work. As an operating system it builds the basis for all my other software. There are barely any problems and if there is a software that is not compatible with mac I still have Parallels.

OS X El Capitan review by <span>Joshua K.</span>
Joshua K.

"Current software used at home/medical conferences"

What do you like best?

The interface is very user friendly, extremely efficient and smooth. I am able to seamlessly switch between Microsoft and apple systems. It has really improved with the new operating system from apple. I do all of my presentations and graphics work on my apple computer.

What do you dislike?

I dont notice a lot of difference from the last update. Seems to be just as supportive as the last update. I do think there is still a gap to bridge that would allow work from a pc to a mac or vise versa to be used on the other system. Some of my hospitals only have pcs and I need to hook up quickly and easily to my presentations created on my mac

This product is used at home, but hopefully we will soon be using apple in the hospital. Apple is still relatively new to the hospital and currently is used on a per person basis. It is a choice that a lot of us make for remote work, but it would be great to get this in the hospital for daily work.

OS X El Capitan review by <span>Loren A.</span>
Loren A.

"Really Into Multi-Product Collaboration"

What do you like best?

I love the direction Apple is headed with its Cloud services. It's a comfortable feeling for the user to have multiple devices in sync without having to take the time to to so manually. I also do a lot of troubleshooting that involves several windows, and the multi-desktop option is great for that.

What do you dislike?

Working in Networking, a lot of software is made for Windows only, which is a hassle. Fortunately, though, Bootcamp is a thing. Capitan also introduced (I think - maybe it was Yosemite) a new Rootless Protection default that I had to disable in order to have my USB to Serial adapter recognized. While I recognize that was a precaution primarily for the average user, it was definitely something I struggled with for a while when the issue first arose.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For current Mac OSX users, the upgrade is no question. It's free, it's good, and it's pretty. If you don't have it/a Mac in general, learning the new OS can seem daunting at first. But the way the user interface is designed in combination with the multitouch trackpad and other optional features Apple provides, the working process becomes more fluid and second nature with time. It's truly a great product, and I'd suggest anyone considering it to give it a try.

Most of my work revolves around troubleshooting end devices and networking equipment to provide and verify network connectivity on a very large campus. My fluency with Mac OSX has helped me do my job more quickly and efficiently in a way that wouldn't be possible (for me) with other operating systems.

OS X El Capitan review by <span>Erik H.</span>
Erik H.

"Everyday use is smooth - Apple OS"

What do you like best?

The intuitive interconnecting of various apps and third party programs. It is plug and play which I love unlike some PC OS interactions where you have to lead the system to the device.

What do you dislike?

Airplay is laggy and I am in search of a way to have my customers view my product on a TV. The lag is infuriating as you have music and photos playing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

My entire career has been spent using Apple Products. As a photographer, Adobe Photoshop is my main software and Apple OS has always been king at utilizing image-based software. Ease of use, integration of other systems in my workflow and a bevy of applications that are included on the platform help me keep on track, keep busy, satisfy my customers, and keep me sane!

Workflow has been a breeze with the handoff integration. I can sync reminder lists, calendars, and email with no problems at all on all of my devices.

OS X El Capitan review by <span>Courtney H.</span>
Courtney H.

"Glad I Updated!"

What do you like best?

This is my first MacBook (Pro) and I am not sure why I waited so long to make the switch in the first place, but it is an older one, so I eventually had to upgrade the OS. Again, I'm not big with change, so I just waited until it was past time to upgrade by like months. At first, it was so different that I had a bit of trouble relocating everything I had set up, but now that I have the hang of it, it is so much better than the previous version. Even the icons are prettier.

What do you dislike?

I do not like how long it took to update, and it constantly asks for updates, like weekly. It also reordered all my documents, which has thrown me off a bit.

Basically, for any business purposes, Apple is the way to go when talking computers. It is easier to use, much more compatible with windows users than it once was, is faster, safer, and it learns my preferences.

OS X El Capitan review by <span>Adrian R.</span>
Adrian R.

"Everything I Need and MORE!"

What do you like best?

What is there NOT to like about El Capitan?! I love most of the features available in this Mac OS. Split Screen is probably one that I use most often between web pages and mail. Also between mail and notes and other apps I use for work. I love how easy it is to navigate between apps and also how convenient reminders and other aspects of the OS are.

What do you dislike?

As with any new OS, it takes up a lot of space on my Mac. I use my Mac daily at work as well as at home. I feel that with each new OS that comes out, the less space I have. However, external hard drives have become my best friend.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Any OS using Mac is just highly efficient and can help with multitasking. Mac OS is fast and efficient and if you have lots of projects you work on daily, as well as many things at the same time, OS X El Capitan is perfect!

I use my Mac on a daily basis. I use OS El Capitan for everyday work. I use split screen to be able to multitask between web pages and emails. I use lots of apps at the same time and OS X El Capitan helps ensure that all of them run smoothly.

OS X El Capitan review by User in Education Management
User in Education Management

"El Capitan is awesome!"

What do you like best?

I love everything about my Mac. This OS X El Capitan has better protection against malware. The split screen feature is so handy.

What do you dislike?

I haven't really found much I don't like. Some apps take awhile to load. I haven't had any crashing issues as I have had in past OS versions.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Mac and Apple are really on the cutting edge with this OS X. I will never go back to PC and Windows.

Able to use my Mac to lesson plan efficiently using OS X El Capitan. I sync my iPhone and iPad with what's going on on my Mac. The split screen is a great feature. I always have more than one screen up at a time. Being able to see both and use them both simultaneously is priceless. This feature alone should make everyone want to try it.

OS X El Capitan review by <span>Scott W.</span>
Scott W.

"Good for personal use, tricky for enterprises"

What do you like best?

The speed of El Capitan has increased over Mavericks, which was also an improvement also Yosemite. Apple approved software is stable as ever, but 3rd party apps are hit or miss when transitioning from major OS upgrades.

What do you dislike?

Filevault sometimes will freeze when loading into the operating system requiring PRAM resets and occasionally booting into single user mode and removing boot up plists. Active directory binding and joining can still use some work and Microsoft software is still subpar compared to their WIndows counterparts.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure that you need to features of OS X. With Bash coming to Windows, this will be harder and harder to choose Mac OS X over Windows.

Every user will have their personal preference on operating system. Using OS X has generally reduced support requirements as it is based off of UNIX and is very stable, especially when compared to some windows products.

OS X El Capitan review by <span>Kellie J C.</span>
Kellie J C.

"I have El Capitan on my MacBook"

What do you like best?

I like the speed of the software. I like that unlike windows i can close and open my macbook and the software is ready. I like that i can start my macbook in a matter of seconds vs. extended minutes like Windows.

What do you dislike?

It can sometimes be challenging to find things in the OS, but i am also a fairly new Mac adopter. Things move around sometimes maybe by my own doing, but i am often not sure if I did it or not.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Go to the Apple store and try it out. Take the time to learn about it. There are great resources available through Apple to learn, test and implement the software.

Compare the features of a windows OS to the Apple OS. There is no comparison.

I do not use it for business, but for my personal use it is fantastic. I have had my Mac for almost 2 yrs now and I will never purchase another Windows machine for personal use.

OS X El Capitan review by <span>Daniel S.</span>
Daniel S.

"Working with OS X El Capitan"

What do you like best?

This operating system is very easy to use, I used to own a PC and didn't want to change over to a Mac as I thought it would be too complicated, but in reality it was easier to use than my PC.

What do you dislike?

Occasionally my computer has crashed (twice in a year) which may be attributed to the operating system in use.

Fortunately I didn't lose any data when this happened.

It doesn't bother me much to be honest.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a great operating system and I would urge you to give it a go, it makes life so much easier.

I have been able to speed up all aspects of my business using this operating system, as ease of use is probably the biggest benefit I have noticed.

OS X El Capitan review by <span>Jack H.</span>
Jack H.

"El Capitan; The Second Mac Banana"

What do you like best?

OSX has not changed significantly since I left high school; this is both a positive and a negative point. Where Microsoft has chosen to take their original Windows product and turn it into something completely different (new visuals, effects, even a new control panel) on top of the old Windows 7 / 98 GUI. In this case, our good friends at Apple have taken the time to add on a few minor features and speed some stuff up.

What do you dislike?

They removed interoperability from a number of previous Mac models, so depending on your year, your mac may now have become unsupported. This is no fun.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't sign up for the Beta program. Stuff breaks at random and it's now impossible to downgrade to a prior edition unless you wipe your hard drive and re-write everything from a backup.

Just trying to use my home PC. I use Windows 10 on here as well, but generally prefer the slicker interface that Mac OSX has to offer.

OS X El Capitan review by <span>Andy P.</span>
Andy P.

"Difficult to manage, but preferred by users"

What do you like best?

Freedom (Due to lack of management options!) for users key. If given the option users will choose this device other others - particularly laptops and desktops.

What do you dislike?

Cost - it's quite frustrating to not be able to negotiate bulk discounts.

Lack of management options within a Windows environment. Our management systems are based around SCCM and controlled/ validated builds - it's very difficult to work in this environment with OS X. Very difficult. Particularly when Apple release new hardware on which old builds no longer work.

Sometimes users who choose a Mac don't understand that it's not Windows until they've got it out of the box!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Management is an issue. A critical issue.

I would suggest concentrating on managing the DATA rather than managing the SYSTEM. Managing OS X (particularly within a Windows environment) is a terrible experience both for the administrator and the end-users. I would advise strongly that you keep these devices off your internal network and use tools like OneDrive for Business to manage/ lock down the data rather than worry too much about securing the device.

As an example we decided to not allow our users local admin - this meant that, every month, when Microsoft released a new patch for office, someone had to manually go round all the OS X machines and enter a password so the users could apply the patch. User experience was terrible, support requirements were massive. Yes you could automate it, you could automate each and every issue, but the amount of time required maintaining the automations grows exponentially.

Treat OS X like you treat your iPads.

Access to specialist applications that only run (or run better) on OS X. Interoperability with OS X design teams.

Ability to build/deploy iOS applications via company App Store. OS X is the only platform on which Xcode (Apple's development suite) runs so in order to manage our iOS portfolio OS X is a requirement.

Despite various (primarily Adobe) applications being available on Windows the Windows versions are viewed by designers as poorer in quality and in performance than their OS X equivalents (subjective I know). This can potentially affect recruitment, especially for contractors, and our ability to get them up and running and contributing to the team quickly.

OS X El Capitan review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Another great upgrade from Apple. It's building upon what was great and has increasingly gotten +"

What do you like best?

The OS X platform in general is an amazing piece of art really.... When using an operating system for 8+ hours a day you NEED it to be perfect (or as close to perfect) as possible. The dock, ability to hide the dock, the integration with retina display machines, and just overall "friendly" experience is what makes me a happy user of OS X El Capitan.

What do you dislike?

First, and I know this is probably the least important aspect, but the name. I liked the transition from animals in the past. Now the name doesn't seem to connect me to the product any closer. While animals had speed and majestic qualities - when renaming the OS X platform I think it was a big mistake - as I've heard from so many other users. There is not too much I dislike about OS X, except for minor details, such as easier bookmarking in Safari, an easier way to switch between apps - maybe taking a lesson from ios.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do it. The operating system of Windows is a confusing space to be in. I guess it can be said about OS X from those users - but as a business individual who has used both - OS X takes the cake.

My entire business practice runs on OS X El Capitan. Its the key to running all of the software I use. So if the platform doesn't work... your software is not going to. So... in a general sense, none of my work could be completed without the base of OS X El Capitan to build upon.

OS X El Capitan review by <span>Scott M.</span>
Scott M.

"El Capitan was alright "

What do you like best?

I like the design layout of how the Mac works with this new update. I think that where Apple excels is in its userface design. They really do a great job at their apps and software that come preloaded on Apple computers, as well as how they all feel like they go and work together.

What do you dislike?

It took FOREVER to download this software, completely messed up my work day with the timing of the software. Then, once it was loaded, it drained my battery like crazy! It eventually seemed to figure itself out but upgrading to the new software was pretty much a mess.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Making it faster to download and a shorter download time...

It allows me to work off of an easy to use and well designed interface. I do not have to worry about anything except my work because it allows me to ease of getting my job done.

OS X El Capitan review by User in Religious Institutions
User in Religious Institutions

"They Just keep getting better"

What do you like best?

El Capitan is like the cooler older brother that knows what makes other systems cool and updates it. The split screen that is so helpful on windows is now available on mac. but better. The mission control is the best organized screen to come out. But most importantly Mail grabs your contacts from various places and stores it all in one. Highly recommend it.

What do you dislike?

There is truly nothing is dislike about this product. The only complaint is that Microsoft Publisher is not available on mac, which is because of Microsoft office not Apple.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This product is amazing. Apple truly out did itself when they put it together. I truly believe Apple isis headed in the right direction with El Capitan.

I do a lot of graphics and I love the speed of the computer even when multiple programs are open. I never have a problem with things running slowly.

OS X El Capitan review by <span>Erik H.</span>
Erik H.

"With El Capitan, OS X remains a top tier operating system for any user"

What do you like best?

El Capitan takes the sorts of things that experts have been doing with third-party apps and utilities for years on the Mac and builds them right into the OS. Spotlight is becoming more than just a simple file search box. Window management using Finder is becoming easier. Both Notes and TextEdit are more than just a raw text box. As I've been using OS X for years, a lot of it didn't feel new to me, but El Capitan eliminated a lot of need for third-party software. It's shipped with software that you enjoy and that actually works. Apple's made the learning curve you usually have to climb to become a "power user" (whatever that is) much more gradual.

What do you dislike?

Besides performance issues, as I am running El Capitan on six-year-old iMac, it takes a bit of effort and a long to disable the system reporting and data analytics that are enabled by default if you try to breeze through setup.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Customize it to your liking, not just to make it aesthetically pleasing, but change options so that your workflow profits from all the great hidden features, including System Preferences and other applications' own preferences as well.

OS X El Capitan makes my job of teaching people how to use software much easier. Instead of asking how to find something in the menu bar or its respective keyboard shortcut, clients can just find that in the Help menu or even bind their own keyboard shortcuts. There's much less explaining for me to do, and it really feels like I'm working with people who will one day know more than me.

OS X El Capitan review by <span>Nancy I.</span>
Nancy I.

"OS on my Machine"

What do you like best?

With all Apple products, my favorite aspect is the genuis bar at the apple store - when you have a problem: it is free and by appointment, so you don't have to wait long.

Quite frankly, I am not even sure what changed from the last version of Mac OS... I like that my mac is fast, but that may be be memory. I like that I don't get the spinning wheel of death as much as I used to, but that too may be the machine more than the OS.

What do you dislike?

The cost - while this is free, it takes a Mac to run it. Macbooks are more expensive than PCs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

When you have a problem, just make a free appointment at the Genius Bar in the Apple Store near you.

Everything. I teach, I design, I write. I surf (the web).

OS X El Capitan review by <span>Michael U.</span>
Michael U.

"El Capitan - Should I upgrade?"

What do you like best?

One feature of El Capitan I use most is the Split View functionality. Working on a smaller laptop screen the split view option allows you to run two windows next to each other side-by-side. Although this is not exactly new, it has been updated for ease of use and higher dependability. It may take some time to get used to with a few quirks, once you are proficient you will realize how fast and efficient it is and take advantage of its power.

What do you dislike?

As with all upgrades, program support is still not complete. You may find that many of your favorite applications have not been updated to support El Capitan. I would suggest doing a little research before upgrading to make sure something that is essential for your day-to-day tasks is supported. Support for older Macs is also suspect. Like I said, make sure you do your research and make a back up before jumping into the upgrade.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be aware the El Capitan is not a major operating system upgrade. It is an incremental update with some new features, updates to current features, and most of all a more stable and secure operating environment. Be sure to do your research prior to upgrading and back up your system should a problem arise during installation or should you decide to change your mind after the install and poking around a bit.

I am currently not using El Capitan to solve any business problems. I use my machine for personal use only at this time. As for benefits...the largest benefit is a rock solid operating system with very little if any issues or downtime.

OS X El Capitan review by User in Business Supplies and Equipment
User in Business Supplies and Equipment

"Great updates, synching more accurately with iPhone."

What do you like best?

It's hard to not drink the kool-aid with Apple. The syncing capabilities between my mac and iphone are excellent and functioning more accurately than ever with the newer updates.

What do you dislike?

There are some stock programs I would like to more easily delete. Photos is a joke, although I am definitely never a fan of a stock photo organization program. I use Adobe Lightroom and choose to organize my photos myself within Finder.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I always recommend upgrading to the most recent OS X just to keep up to date on important security updates. I don't think this update made any real functional difference to my workability but there are probably aspects of the OS that matter more to some than others.

I primarily use this OS when at home on my macbook to communicate with clients. This OS powers my computer where I also use other products to create and edit my artwork for sale and otherwise.

OS X El Capitan review by <span>Kevin Patrick W.</span>
Kevin Patrick W.

"Solid Updates to a well proven operating system."

What do you like best?

My workflow is very fluid with the use of the different virtual desktops provided in osx. The UI and interface is much cleaner and more modern. Support for display link which I use to drive my third monitor has also improved (although not sure if this is because of the os or the new drivers from display link).

What do you dislike?

Upgrading caused some issues with some of the development tools I use because they bumped up the version of the pre-installed Java kit. This was easy to fix by just downloading and installing the older version of Java but still annoying to have to dig through to figure out exactly what the issue was after a somewhat time consuming upgrade.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Not many reasons that I can come up with to not use/upgrade to El Capitan. If you are already using a Mac it will no doubt greatly improve your workflow.

I mainly use my Mac for development and professional work. It helps me to keep on track and manage my workflow via the different virtual desktops and the customize-able shortcuts. The UI is much cleaner and doesn't get in the way as much as previous versions of osx. Performance has seem to improve also over previous versions of osx which is always a good thing. In all it feels like they are making good strides and moving in the right direction with this operating system.

OS X El Capitan review by <span>Alexander S.</span>
Alexander S.

"Start using OSX and never experience difficulties"

What do you like best?

As a software engineer working mainly on web projects, OSX is the best platform for development. Easy to setup. Unix based terminal is available from start and gives you access to all the system resources. Compatible with all the popular apps. Even if you require some windows-only/linux-only applications, its very easy to setup virtual machine. (its not that easy to set it up on windows for osx :p ). The performance is the other advantage and moreover, you don'y need to worry that it will be slow anytime soon. The platform is user friendly and doesn't require a lot of time to learn how it works.

What do you dislike?

The only possible disadvantage that you can encounter is if you work only on windows specific applications.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Install 'Alfred' - one of the best apps I've ever used.

I am a software engineer, so mainly I am doing programming using OSX. Extremely easy to setup and tune it for all sorts of requirements.

OS X El Capitan review by <span>Joe C.</span>
Joe C.

"Best OS so far"

What do you like best?

Working in an IT field, i have worked with many different OS. By far OS X is in my opinion the best. Its stable when i launch multiple applications flawlessly. I find that its superiors the latest windows OS.

I like that i can easily communicate with multiple mobile devices. Apple devices tend to favor their own but i know there other third party software that can allow this feature. Always use caution when using third party applications, vendors.

I love that you don't need an anti virus because spyware and viruses are rare or uncommon. Its more frequent to attack windows os.

What do you dislike?

I don't like that some software are not compatible with OS X as like other windows OS. Non the less, this is why OS X is secure in my opinion.

I don't like that it requires more ram but worth its flow in multiple applications simultaneously.

I find that when i upgraded from OS Lion, it has a longer startup. Its not much of a difference but i noticed it. I also noticed not many updates are being released for improvements.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The only i thing i recommend, is to upgrade the max on your ram. In my opinion it runs a lot smoother and effortlessly with multiple video graphic software. I would recommend to have at least 16gb.

Don't worry about virus software or spyware. OS X is awesome in my opinion with blocking them. However, it doesn't hurt to have one just never needed one in all my years. very stable OS and easy to troubleshoot.

I am using OS X for video editing. I use my GoPro Hero3 + to record events and social fan favorite locations.

I am realizing that when i use video software other than the one that came with the OS X, any other software tend to slow down or crash. If i use my GoPro software it sometimes become unresponsive or just freezes for a few minuets. As a work around, i have restarted the OS and only launched the software and it works a lot better. I noticed that i didn't have this issue with previous Apple OS till i upgraded. For the time being, its difficult to determine if its truly a OS or GoPro software issue.

OS X El Capitan review by <span>Jonas B.</span>
Jonas B.

"El Capitan makes working with design and writing code a pleasure."

What do you like best?

The speed and stability of OSX is what I like most about it. From my experience it's been getting better and better with every update the last couple of years.

Also, there are so many ways to customize your interactions that really speeds up the process when developing and using the OS.

Moving to a more unified system together with iOS is really nice and would defiantly be even more valued further on. I can't imagine living without being able to send text messages and taking calls with my computer when it suits me better.

What do you dislike?

El Capitan brought a few new features that are welcomed, but still needs some improvements. Implementing the split screen ability natively hasn't been as good as 3rd party apps still are able to deliver. I would like too see more improvements there. There are more fields as well were 3rd party app still are better. Spotlight still isn't as good as Alfred, iCould Drive still isn't as good as Dropbox, etc...

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is so far the best version of OSX and it's always keeps being better. And comparing to other operating systems I've used it way better in almost all cases.

I'm a designer and developer so I write code and do visual designs. El Capitan makes it easy to concentrate on my work. Everything still "just works!" In its simplicity the OS helps me focus all on my work which makes it all fun.

OS X El Capitan review by <span>Matthew Z.</span>
Matthew Z.

"Apple's Best Operating System Yet"

What do you like best?

OS X El Capitan introduced a plethora of new features that have increased my productivity. The best by far is the split view for full screen applications. This allows you to have two applications side by side in full screen mode which is great for widescreen monitors. I keep a monitor with slack and my web browser in a split view while I keep my text editor open on my MacBook Pro screen.

The revamped Mail application is also quite an improvement. I especially enjoy using the swipe gestures to archive emails. It has fulfilled the promise that was originally made by the now abandoned Mailbox app for OS X.

Safari also has some awesome improvements. Chief among them is the responsive design mode that allows you to view how a website works on various devices. Coupled with improvements in the web developer console this is a quantum leap forward for web developers.

What do you dislike?

The OS suffers from some strange bugs that have been difficult to pin down. I occasionally have WiFi drops that were difficult to remedy until a Genius at the Genius Bar suggested creating a new network location in my Settings. Furthermore I use it with a Thunderbolt display and once in a while the Thunderbolt connection will disconnect some of the components. The audio might get garbled until I disable and re-enable it or the screen will stop working on wake. Furthermore this operating system has introduced some kind of bug that causes my Blue Microphone Yeti to lose its audio once in a while as well. Apple needs to spend more time working on resolving these bugs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do a clean installation to avoid legacy problems.

I am more efficient in my work through the web design tools in Safari. The faster rendering of webpages in Safari is saving me real time. Furthermore the battery saving features mean that my laptop lasts longer while I'm on the road.

OS X El Capitan review by <span>Waldson M.</span>
Waldson M.

"Once you start to use, you never go back to any other!"

What do you like best?

In general the way to use is easier than other operating systems, but a good example is the system preferences, very easy, intuitive and the fact of not requiring to many confirmations, just click and change, this is something that impressed me a lot since my first experience years ago.

What do you dislike?

The way they deal with 'folders to merge/override', even thought they improved on most recent versions, it's still not so good when you want to always merge the folders with same name. I lost several files because of that, it's not so clear when they show you the option to merge or not, sometimes only overrides the folder and its gone!

Something else that bothers a bit is to type 'accents', because I have to write in Portuguese and we use a lot of accents, then we have some weirdo combinations of "⌥+N+a" to have "ã" and many others that if you're not aware, it's painful to get used to it. http://portuguesetips.blogspot.ca/2008/07/typing-portuguese-accents-keyboard.html

Recommendations to others considering the product

Move as fast as you can! =)

In the beginning it will be a little strange, because of the UI, perhaps the way to use some common applications, but in the end you just don't want to go back! It worth!

Currently I'm not working on any project for OSX. I was working on a project to make easier to configure the options to save screenshots. Like defining the format, if has shadow, location, etc.

OS X El Capitan review by <span>Christopher H.</span>
Christopher H.

"Nice Minor Changes and Unnecessary Big Ones"

What do you like best?

It's a perfectly good OS, and it definitely improves on Yosemite. New split screen functionality is nice for people who haven't had third party software for it for a while now, though it's still weirdly limited. San Fransisco is an excellent font and, while subtle, it's probably actually my favorite change. Most important to me, however, is the updated mission control. It's entirely small changes, like the fact that it's no longer cluttered by thumbnails of identical looking desktops, or the fact that if you have multiple windows of the same application open, each window appears separately, but they make a huge difference. Lastly, spotlight search can search for new things, and the search window doesn't have to appear in the middle of the screen anymore, you can drag it away. (though it's not clear how to put it back, but there is a keyboard shortcut for it, I know that. But who wants to move it away from the top right corner anyway?)

What do you dislike?

Plenty of parts of this update are geared towards non-technical users, and these range from completely irrelevant to me all the way to hugely intrusive on how I use my machine. Natural language processing is really only useful to people who still search using natural language, something I think most technical users have stopped doing. But most importantly, there's the new system integrity protection. It's an excellent move in the sense that deep system access shouldn't really be given to users who don't know what their doing, it's unsafe. But it also makes it harder to develop big apps and, for a time, several of my apps, bartender most importantly, stopped working completely.

I'm an app developer. The clearest benefit is the small improvements to mission control that help me switch between things like Xcode and my chrome windows with ease and exactly how I want to.

OS X El Capitan review by <span>Jakub K.</span>
Jakub K.

"Next Step"

What do you like best?

Split Screen, basic app, which windows dont have and you need install them, speed of system, Application which doesnt exist on another platfom, because is best only on MAC. I love this speed, musti-tasking and game support like WoW or LoL I love this combination.

What do you dislike?

El Capitan is not for small device, like Macbook Air 13" but I have Mac-Mini (i7, 8GB) so I am OK . but FINDER ... common you could do it better, keyshort cuts is wrong, sometimes missing favourite and missing adressbar, where i cam put adress and hit enter ... and safari... looool safari fail ever, I missing open last closed tab like (CTRL+SHIFT+T) like chrome... I using safary but becouse this missing feature I must using chrome, by my opinion, Safari is better then IE on windows, but still you have a lot of work do it better

Recommendations to others considering the product

by it, it is best

Speed of work, I work on windows and linux too... but Mac OS X is faster then enything else... productivity is more then 150% Problems like vurtalization, now I can wirtualize another MAC or linux or windows for testing some website

OS X El Capitan review by <span>Christoph H.</span>
Christoph H.

"A well done update to Yosemite"

What do you like best?

The new UI Font, San Francisco, is really a well done font and so much better than Helvetica. This is the favorite part of an otherwise very under the hood focussed update for OSX. Also Metal provides some very welcome graphics performance improvements, especially on the Retina MacBook Pros with Intel Graphics.

Also the new dark mode is a really welcome change. The new Photos App for iCloud Photo Library provides easy access to photos and easy photo editing.

I really love how I can read and write SMS and take my phone calls on OSX now and I use this all the time.

What do you dislike?

Not all apps are leveraging the new UI standards, some iOS inspired UI patterns don’t fit OSX very well, split screen is kind of useless.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely upgrade from Yosemite, it fixes many bugs and improves performance a lot.

I’m using OSX on a MacBook Pro every day in my agency. It’s a really great solution for small business owners, who want the high quality of Mac hardware and a high quality software ecosystem for creative professionals, without having to deal with Windows.

For me as business owner, it’s great that I don’t have to separately license the Operating System. I buy the hardware and everything is included. Also Apple’s free productivity software (Pages, Numbers) is more than sufficient for handling documents.

OS X El Capitan review by <span>Sami F.</span>
Sami F.

"Still waiting for Desktop rename feature !!"

What do you like best?

The OS is the best at personalising your digital experience. Your photos life is encompassed in Photos.app,

your music life in iTunes.app

The OS is Unix based and thus compatible with most linux packages, this makes software development easy.

What do you dislike?

System Integrity Constraint broke a few things like easy_install for python, but thank god stackoverflow.

Split View can be made less rigid, can't believe im about to say this... but sort of like Windows.

Limited customisation is allowed to Desktops in Mission Control: renaming desktops should be a trivial functionality available to the average joe.

Reminders.app is slow on startup considering its a small app with minimal functionality.

I am yet to be blown away by a local Notes and Todo application that can effectively help me organise my ideas, with tags, labels, projects and tasks. And don't tell me Evernote...

I am a full-time software developer who has his life well-organised on his Macbook.

OS X El Capitan review by <span>瑶 .</span>
瑶 .

"Apple OS X EI Capitan is an awesome operating system for developers, I think ^_^"

What do you like best?

For me, Apple OS X EI Capitan has both terminal for developing and convenience graphical user interface for daily work, it's a efficiency way to develop iOS App for my company and develop PHP Web Page for my self. Configuration on OS X is quite easy than cent OS or other UNIX like OS. And graphical user interface is both pretty look and easy to operate combining with the Apple hardware. What's more, when I sliding the mouse for seconds, the icon of it will become bigger. How cute it is!

What do you dislike?

After updating, it is seems like that the softwares, such as Xcode, Photoshop, WeChat, QQ, work so slow and crash unexpected. Perhaps it is because my MacBook which is produced early in 2011. So I think it has to work more to be compatible with old devices.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Practice more

I could learn iOS development by myself and after that I find a iOS development job. And I could config localhost easily, so that I can develop my Web Page and upload to SAE. It's quite cool!

OS X El Capitan review by <span>Brendan B.</span>
Brendan B.

"Best OS in the consumer industry but business feature lacking"

What do you like best?

OS X El Capitan is easy to use, and powerful for both simple and advanced users alike. By leveraging the rock solid Unix foundation, OS X 10.11 provides a simple and secure environment with access to the apple ecosystem of products and services. Pro tools such as Xcode and Logic Pro X truly shine on El Capitan. Plus you can't say no to the free updates every year.

What do you dislike?

OS X El Capitan seriously lacks features and stability in an enterprise environment. Documentation is few and far between and unless you are running a media company or dev shop, macs in the managed workplace can feel like second class citizens. Sometimes the Apple ID system is confusing for new users.

Recommendations to others considering the product

OS X El Capitan is already a great product but probably the best part is knowing that there will be an ever greater version next year, most likely for free. You just can't say that about Windows, and it gives you piece of mind when you drop over a thousand on a Mac to know that it will be well supported for many years.

As a developer, I use El Capitan every day to write software for various apple products. It is a versatile product that allows me to get work done quickly and efficiently.

OS X El Capitan review by <span>Kevin T.</span>
Kevin T.

"Another Mac OS Update. "

What do you like best?

Apple never releases big updates for their OS, but the features in each update are very nice. For instance, split view in El Capitan is really useful and I find myself using it whenever I'm working on personal or work projects. You can view two applications at once, and it isn't just side-by-side windows; it's a full screen experience.

I really like how Apple seems to be moving to a unified OS across all of their devices. While it will take a very long time until they run perfectly together, you can tell they're moving closer and closer

What do you dislike?

i wish that bluetooth connection was streamlined. I often feel like my other apple products and speak systems have trouble connecting. I honestly wish that a new system of wireless connection was created to avoid confusion with devices competing for an initial connection. It's very frustrating.

Spotlight is really intuitive and helps you to quickly access any file. Not only that but it can provide a lot of information you would otherwise have to look up online. I love the simplicity of just searching for the weather in a particular area instead of having to navigate to a website or app to do the same thing.

OS X El Capitan review by <span>Adam John L.</span>
Adam John L.

"I really like El Capitan"

What do you like best?

Being an Apple enthusiast design is important to me, so I appreciate the visuals and the new San Francisco system font. Performance and stability have improved greatly with each update. I am a happy El Capitan user for sure.

What do you dislike?

As per their usual Apple removes certain features with every operating system release and I dislike the fact that I can no longer "force empty" my trash can from a right click menu. Its little, but tis something I did a lot. I also dislike the redesigned Disk Utility - some functionality has been removed and its less useful in my opinion.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would ensure that all of your software is compatible with El Capitan and I have heard cases of certain firewire audio hardware no longer being compatible. Once you are certain everything will make the grade, then I say update. You'll be more secure and ready for future updates as well.

I can't say that El Capitan has given any extra benefit to my business. I am a web developer and small business owner and nothing that El Capitan has brought to the table has made either of those things better or easier.

OS X El Capitan review by <span>Josiah W.</span>
Josiah W.

"A Solid Upgrade That Will Resurrect Your Old Macs"

What do you like best?

Speed is by far the best feature of El Cap. It's clearly an OS designed for SSD's - it absolutely flies on Apple's recent hardware. If you have an older Mac that can support El Cap, you should certainly upgrade. I don't know what's going on behind the scenes, but it vastly improves the responsiveness of the system. There are other improvements as well. Most of the changes aren't major, but they are small and worth the free download. My favorites? Safari flies like never before, and you can shake your mouse to find your cursor when it's disappeared into the abyss of your 27' iMac.

What do you dislike?

Honestly, there isn't much that I don't like. I'm really not a fan of how they redesigned Disk Utility, but I suppose I'll get used to it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

As long as El Capitan supports all of the software you rely on, you should make the upgrade. It's free and will improve your Mac experience -- especially if you're coming from Yosemite. In that case, you will certainly notice performance improvements.

El Capitan is an Operating System, not just a program of some sort, so it's involved in just about everything I do. El Capitan is blazing fast, and it gets out of the way. That's the problem it solves - I forget that it's there, and that's the best thing any OS can do. It just works, and it let's me get my job done well.

OS X El Capitan review by <span>Jon V.</span>
Jon V.

"El Capitan"

What do you like best?

El Capitan has add a lot of great features to the Mac OS. I like the handoff features, and they have increased the ease with which you can use airdrop, phone calls and messaging. I also enjoy being able to use iCloud drive with my documents and desktop folder. It allows me to view documents saved in each one of those folders.

What do you dislike?

The mail app has changed a couple of ways that I like to sort emails. This is very frustrating.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you enjoy El Capitan then upgrade to Sierra. It makes all of the easy features much easier to use and impliment.

The benefits have included easier access to my documents when I am on the go. Granted you do need to increase your iCloud storage to be able to use the iCloud drive features.

OS X El Capitan review by User

"Just Like Previous OS Versions, but Make Sure to Check Software Compatibility First"

What do you like best?

I love the easy of communication. It is great being able to work on my MacBook Pro and know that when I receive an iMessage, I do not need to look away from my computer and grab my phone. Instead I can respond to the message on my Mac and continue working seamlessly without breaking my concentration. I know this is not new to El Capitan but still one of my many favorite OS features. I also like the fast response and load times so I am rarely kept waiting.

What do you dislike?

I still have not got used to the new icons. I think the new design for icons is ugly because they look childish or cartoon-like. This is okay for kids or people using their Macs for fun, but it does not give off a professional look or feeling when thinking about it for a business user. The other problem I had was with apps crashing after updating to El Capitan. I actually had to buy a new version of Finale because it was incompatible with El Capitan and there was allegedly no way to fix it. Other than these issues, it works like most other OS versions and works just fine.

Recommendations to others considering the product

To be clear, I have had Apple devices for many years through several different OS's but El Capitan for less than one year. My recommendation is to use OSX and always do your updates if you are on a Mac. If you are on any other platform I assume it is because you need to be for specific applications or you do not / cannot spend the money on an Apple device. Apple definitely costs more but the way all the devices connect together through OSX and iOS is really amazing.

I use my Mac for many things, but one of my primary uses is composing music in Finale. El Capitan supports Finale (after I updated it) so it allows me to continue my composition work. Being able to communicate quickly with clients and other colleagues really helps as well.

OS X El Capitan review by <span>Caio A.</span>
Caio A.

"Look isn't all"

What do you like best?

OSX El Capitan seems to be the more consistent OS in the market, it's beautiful and it's fully integrated with Apple ecosystem. For the ones who have Apple devices, it should be the best alternative.

What do you dislike?

OS X El Capitan have lots of problems like the new disk utility app, witch became the dumbest disk managing software in the market. El Capitan it's made for new computers, so they expect you to have a new hardware like an SSD, witch a lot of people haven't, so sometimes my mac takes "ages" to boot up witch sucks because Windows 10 boot takes about 50 seconds on my device.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a great operational system, but in some way Apple made it hard to use with the new minimalist design.

Now, I'm working as a freelancer Developer, so the thing i do the most with OS X is code.

OS X El Capitan review by <span>Marco Emmanuel P.</span>
Marco Emmanuel P.

"The best version of OS X (yet?)"

What do you like best?

El Capitan is the second major upgrade we had from Apple at a free price tag. With Maverick they proved this concept and they received all kind of appraisals and cheers.

Now into the new features. I loved the multi task resize (side by side) of the windows. It's something that you would think that it should be there since the beginning and yet it was missing all those years. I used to purchase a product to solve those kind of perks for me but it's nice to finally have it bundled in my vanilla OS, good move Apple.

Mission control also received some tweaks and they are immediately visible as soon as you log in. You will notice that your old view of your desktops when you switch your applications (F3 key) is revamped, now it shows the desktops names only without their icons or small previews on top, that saved a ton of space and you can toggle them as soon as you hover them with your mouse, again another small changes that improve a lot your visual area (specially with small screens like MBP 13') and that should be part of the core system a long time ago but it's finally here (which means Apple still knows how to do nice things for free).

My most used feature is probably spotlight, it got huge upgrades now being able to search all kind of things so instead of opening a new tab in my browser (or open a browser at all) I got very used to just simply invoke spotlight and start typing what I want. If you integrate that with your notes to take screenshots or websites and store them visually it's a perfect match.

They also made some improvements to the video game department (metal), but as a serious gamer guy I would never use a Mac to game except when I'm out of town and have no other option in which case why even bother?

UI wise it looks slightly better, the fonts on a retina display are crisp and beautiful, their new wallpapers are also designed to get full advantage of those screens and in general it feels the old good and fast reliable OS you always trust and need.

If you don't have a reason to hold back (like an incompatible program not being ported yet) just upgrade and enjoy it, it's free!

What do you dislike?

Some of their UI changes have being very contrary to what they used to do, I kinda miss their old plastic bubble look. Their icons are not the best either, their colors are way too shiny for a professional look IMO.

Not a huge fan of safari or maps either but I could see their use.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure all your software is ready for upgrade, I've known of a couple incompatible software suites out there but for most people that's not a problem and they should enjoy it right away. As a developer it's a must, you get the new XCode versions and upgrades.

I'm a software developer and I have currently 2 mac book pros with client code in each of them, so I needed a very robust reliable system and OS X fit my needs perfectly, you have the great console from UNIX (linux) and yet a very beautiful and easy to use UI which linux lacks.

OS X El Capitan review by <span>Evan Michael H.</span>
Evan Michael H.

"Modern, Easy to use, beautiful to look at."

What do you like best?

Apple continues to bring their polished system into each new year. As a user of iPhone, iPad, and Mac, El Capitan brings the ecosystem to new heights. The level of integration is second to none. I am able to start an email at work, pick up my iPad and, right from the lock scree, select to continue on the same email. iMessage, notes, and more sync perfectly through iCloud.

What do you dislike?

As this is my main office computer running the system I chose to wait a few weeks before installing the update as a co-worker encountered issues with one of the applications she uses daily once she updated. The update process also did take about an hour, which is longer than I expected.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be cautious about timing. I chose to wait until after a large project to implement the update. I did not want to take any chances. If you are unable to confirm a core application your office uses works properly, test it out on one machine or contact the software developer to ensure it works.

Spotlight search gained a great deal of functionality in this update. I can now search for "documents I worked on this week" or "spreadsheets I created in January" and it will cue results based on those more human questions. Simple changes like this have simplified my workflow and streamlined my day.

OS X El Capitan review by <span>Aidan G.</span>
Aidan G.

"A strong step in the right direction"

What do you like best?

A singularized model across all apple devices.

What do you dislike?

Clunkiness with have more than one of a certain type of device. For example, iCloud on multiple MacBook Pros isn't a smooth system and has a lot of sign-in/out bugs. If I only had 1 iPhone, 1 Mac and 1 iPad I'm sure they would work together seamlessly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are a committed Android fan or do not own any Apple products, the switch really is not such a massive deal. But in the event you do own apple products, El Capitan provides a very fluid system and boost everything for productivity to pleasure.

I work for a tech company where I have a work Mac and a home Mac. It's the fluidity between these two Macs that I'm at issue with. Other than that, the ability to keep data shared across two terminals is invaluable.

OS X El Capitan review by User in Internet

"El Capitan"

What do you like best?

Frankly, it has taken me a while to recognize the differences that El Capitan offers. While past OS updates have been pretty drastic, the switch to El Capitan was pretty minor for me. The split view is a nice feature, especially because I have a Macbook with a smaller screen. It helps to keep apps organized, but I wish that I could do split view and still access other windows with the split view in the background. The mission control updates help to keep things organized, too.

What do you dislike?

I find that you have to read up on the new features to find out what's available to you. I upgraded about a month ago and still probably haven't scratched the surface of the minor feature improvements/changes. I didn't know about some of my favorite features, like split view, until I researched a bit. This probably leads a lot of people to not get the most out of El Capitan's features. It also took me a bit to get used to the new full screen mode - it's silly but I didn't know how to get out of it at first and had to look it up.

I think the find your mouse feature is kind of ridiculous. It doesn't detract from my experience, but it seems super unnecessary. Do people really lose their mouse?

The upgrade also took a bit longer than I expected it to.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I know a lot of people worry about upgrading their OS because it's difficult to revert to an old version if you don't like the new features. Of any Mac update I've run, this one feels like the most minimal to me. So I would just go for it.

El Capitan is the OS on both my personal and work computers.

OS X El Capitan review by <span>Stefan B.</span>
Stefan B.

"Mostly a smooth update if you waited long enough"

What do you like best?

Apple is providing new updates to their OS every year now. While this is quite common for Applications, it is more involved with an OS.

Having two full-screen applications side-by-side is something I'm beginning to use more. I still find the approach in Windows of dragging windows to the side of the screen faster, but the solution here is quite clean. And (luckily) you can drag the division line. This is very convenient to have a text (PDF in Preview) open on the left and have an Evernote window on the right.

Most other improvements I don't use that much: additional swipe gestures, better full-screen (although I'm glad full-screen is improved with multiple monitors since Yosemite). Don't even know if Metal is making any difference for me. The outdated Geforce 650M is showing its age with 3D applications, alas.

But overall speed and efficiency improvements are welcomed.

What do you dislike?

To be honest, I had to look up the new features, because they are not so revolutionary anymore. But for an OS, overall stability and workflow are more important.

I'm a big user of the CMD+SPACE shortcut to launch programs with Spotlight. While it is extended, I often miss the first character and get the wrong one. And since urls are now also in the popup-list, I don't always get to the app I want (Ma... for Mail but MacCleanup is getting first; ica... for iCal/Calendar, but Internat Accounts is getting priority).

My biggest gripe, however, that the new OS seemed to break quite a few things. I had to upgrade Parallels (from 9 till 11), wait for ArchiCAD, suffered problems in AutoCAD and waited a bit before installing. Luckily, programs from active developers get updated reasonably fast.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Ensure that your main software is compatible. That is the only consideration. Other than that, it's a straightforward upgrade.

I'm working most of the times on my Mac in OSX and being up to date is always my objective. Since Apple has dumped the cost of the OS, it is easy to stay with the bleeding edge. You get the new features and the latest and greatest, but be aware that not every program or hardware will be compatible from day one. So while I do this individually, businesses should wait at least till their main applications are supported properly.

"My OS of choice"

What do you like best?

I've grown up with both mac and pc computers, and each of them to me has their place. While OSX doesn't have the business market share that PCs do, there is a niche for these computers. The reduced market share also means theres not as many viruses written for macs, a hidden bonus. For us creative types, there's plenty of power, apps and good looks. Macs are industry standard for video editors, graphic designers and other graphics heavy fields.

What do you dislike?

Professionally, there's nothing much to complain about. The price point of these machines is high, but I feel its made up for with how long the machines last.

We are aiming to work on industry standard software, and we do. Our students are prepared to enter the workforce, one reason being familiarity with multiple operating systems.

OS X El Capitan review by <span>Eddie S.</span>
Eddie S.

"Great OS, fast and smooth"

What do you like best?

I've found that the integration between Mac OS and iOS inside and outside of iCloud has greatly improved. El Capitan (and Mac OS, in general) allows me to use several programs I use everyday at work that I don't have on the Chromebook or Windows machine I have at work.

What do you dislike?

Running through some of the system settings to get things changed so I can work with some of the programs I do (IBM SPSS being one of them) isn't always easy.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're familiar with Mac OS, then go for it!

It's saved us money in monthly costs for some project management systems that are browser-based by spending x amount upfront to get the software needed to complete project proposals and create the documentation necessary to show progress to the Board.

OS X El Capitan review by User in Hospitality
User in Hospitality

"OS X El Capitan"

What do you like best?

It is fast and I like how you can use tags on your files and has multiple desktops so somebody else can use the computer without messing up my desktop files. It asks me for updates that can be installed at night or when I find more convenient.

What do you dislike?

It works great at the moment., but It could have the feature of showing the multiple websites pages rather than just the names. Before I could have my favorita websites listed on the bottom of the browser search when I bookmarked them. I also liked when the bottom of the screen apps were magnified.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is faster and lets you know when you need updates so keeps everything up to date, has multiple desktops

It allows me to have bigger files with my designs to open in a timely manner. It benefits me so I could do more in faster time and when somebody uses the computer they can use it as a guest because of the multiple desktops.

OS X El Capitan review by User in Marketing and Advertising

"Easy Convert"

What do you like best?

I like that they updated minor things and didn't change anything too major that is hard to adjust too. I had to convert to El Capitan from Mavericks, because I had bought a new software, so I was a little concerned. Everything stayed in the same spot, same navigation, with an updated interface, such as split view which comes in handy for multitasking.

What do you dislike?

I don't know of anything I would improve about El' Capitan. It's very suitable for my needs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you follow directions and do your research to make sure El Capitan is right for your needs. Its a great improvement of interface.

The main benefit with this upgrade is being able to use the cintiq 13hd I bought for my job as a freelancer. I couldn't use it with Mavericks. The new photos app is also a nice touch. You can still do all the things you could in IPhoto and its a big improvement in design.

OS X El Capitan review by <span>Robin K.</span>
Robin K.

"Solid improvement over Yosemite"

What do you like best?

Performance and stability improvement over Yosemite were very welcome. No breaks in backwards compatibility that I could detect. Usually I wait for the .1 or .2 point release before upgrading, but I actually started using the beta because there were so few problems this time.

Disk Utility has been completely refreshed, which was overdue.

Reasonable performance even on a 4 year old MBP I had to use for a few weeks.

What do you dislike?

Homebrew is still a must for an kind of development and I don't see that changing anytime soon. The Mac App store is slowly dying and this release makes no attempt to fix its problems.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Skip the Mac App store and buy directly from developers whenever you can.

If you do development on any Apple platforms, it's the only OS there is.

OS X El Capitan review by User

"As Always Apple continues to deliver great Operating systems!"

What do you like best?

I like that they added a split view feature so that you can be working in one window and looking at other apps that are open at the same time. As an avid user, I always have multiple programs and tabs open at the same time and I am always switching in between them. But the best part is then being able to click on one of the other apps open and zoom up on that window as well so you can view two different windows open next to each other at the same time. I can also say that I LOVE that they updated spotlight! I would have a heck of a time searching and finding anything on my computer in the past. It seemed so slow. Now I can find anything and even more than I expected to find VERY quickly. This update is awesome and has made searching for things so much easier. I am also aware that they updated the notes app to make it more user friendly but I have not used it as often as I should. However, it seems like this would also benefit users who use the notes app a lot. Otherwise, there are a lot of other under the hood features that seem to have been added to El Capitan to improve the OS but they just might not be as noticeable to the average user.

What do you dislike?

The latest Photos program update has made it a little hard to sort your photo albums and it doesn't feel as user friendly as I'd like it to be. I honestly feel like the biggest thing that needs a MAJOR upgrade is iTunes. Sorting and finding music with a very large library is getting harder and harder. I feel like they have neglected this program for quite some time. There has to be a better way to organize music and be able to find it on your computer when you need it. Also, finding duplicates in your library is the worst and not being able to easily remove large amounts of duplicates is not fun.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a no brainer to upgrade your OS. I upgraded seamlessly and there have been little to no bugs that I have ran into. Definitely worth the upgrade. And best of all it's free!

One of the best benefits of El Capitan is that it has made navigating so much faster. And searching for things through spotlight actually works now.

OS X El Capitan review by <span>Landon D.</span>
Landon D.

"Made the switch from PC to Mac very simple."

What do you like best?

The operating system takes a bit of getting used to if coming from Windows, however it seems speedier and more intuitive. Inter-connectivity with various IOS devices and iCloud products is seamless and I've found no shortage of applications.

What do you dislike?

Overall, I have few complaints about the operating system. The main issue I've experienced relates to wi-fi. For some reason, Bluetooth causes the wi-fi to disconnect while sleeping and will not reconnect once awake. Disabling the Bluetooth solves the issue, but that can be a bit counterproductive if using Bluetooth devices.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would definitely recommend the move to El Capitan from either earlier OS versions or from Windows.

I use my MacBook Pro (with El Capitan) mostly for emails, browsing, spreadsheets, docs, and Salesforce.

OS X El Capitan review by <span>Andi L.</span>
Andi L.

"Positive Experience with OS X El Capitan"

What do you like best?

I like that Apple has updated how you can organize your windows in El Capitan, because now all of the windows don't all overlap when you're looking at all of them at the same time, which could be a bit confusing at times. I also like that they made the spotlight tool work better that it was working previously.

What do you dislike?

When I first installed El Capitan my computer would slow down, freeze up and force quit programs occasionally. I haven't had this problem recently though.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just keep in mind that you may have some initial issues with things slowing down and freezing up. I think that only happens with people who own specific Apple computers and laptops though.

For the most part, OS X El Capitan just helps keep things a bit more organized and running smoothly.

OS X El Capitan review by <span>Suman A.</span>
Suman A.

"Great OS"

What do you like best?

The OS for MacBook is awesome. Few of the features are never seen before in any Windows laptop and MS Office suite works really in an excellent manner.

What do you dislike?

Nothing much to dislike about the OS as it works great.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great OS for MacBook and much better than any Windows OS.

The OS is amazing and easy to use. Features in the OS are not present in Windows laptop and this makes user experience a great satisfaction.

OS X El Capitan review by <span>Brian S.</span>
Brian S.

"A quality upgrade from Apple in El Capitan"

What do you like best?

I like that Apple fixed a lot of the outstanding bugs found in Mavericks, but my favorite feature upgrade came in the Mail.app and new features introduced there.

What do you dislike?

The one frustrating item that I've found is during system updates, it constantly logs me out of iCloud and I have to re-sign into to a bunch of different prompts, which is not exactly fun.

Recommendations to others considering the product

El Capitan is free from the Mac App Store and will only cost you download time. It's worth trying out, but be sure to have a solid back-up of your system first, in case you don't like it.

Keeping up-to-date with Apple system upgrades and operating system, to ensure proper security and latest features are available.

OS X El Capitan review by <span>Rauhmel F.</span>
Rauhmel F.

"OS X for Developers"

What do you like best?

It's great to know that Apple OS X El Capitan contains most of the stable software developers need to begin creating web or mobile applications.

What do you dislike?

There are additional software products needed to install. It would be ideal if the laptop could setup for developers instead of students (i.e., educational software). There are some software applications that I have never used and it would be ideal if the software would recommend itself for deletion if it is rarely or never used.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be prepared to replace hardware such as the wifi card.

WHOmentors.com, Inc. is a scientific research organization and meets a recognized need in the USA and abroad. The organization benefits from having optimized laptops with stable software installations.

OS X El Capitan review by User in Non-Profit Organization Management
User in Non-Profit Organization Management

"Loving Mac's new OS - El Capitan"

What do you like best?

I like that Spotlight can be used a lot like Siri on my iPhone (although I can't just talk to it) by typing things like "did the Steelers win today?" or "do I need an umbrella today?" I also like that when using Mission Control now it does not automatically stack my apps which really makes it quicker and easier to find the window I want.

What do you dislike?

There is not much of anything I can say I dislike about El Capitan at this point, but I have not been using it for too long. If anything, it seems like there are not too many new things or things that have changed which I guess I kind of knew going in that it was not a major upgrade.

Recommendations to others considering the product

As always, Apple makes quality products (both hardware and software) and El Capitan is no exception. You should have no hesitation should you be contemplating the upgrade. Make a backup first, and then just give it a try.

Nothing yet. The only business related stuff I do on my laptop is some documents in Word for Mac.

OS X El Capitan review by User in Information Technology and Services

"El Capitan Is The Best OS X Ever"

What do you like best?

the best thing about the El Capitan is the performance, it's pretty fast with multiple tasks in the background. Finally, the mail app is getting better, can minimize while you compose the new mail.

What do you dislike?

Windows-like multitasking view somehow is not really intuitive. I might need sometimes to play with the feature. It's useful anyway, but it's not really Apple thing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I personally love Apple product because it's closed ecosystem. And El Capitan is the best OS X so far. It's beautifully designed, top performance. However, Safari is still struggling to beat Chrome especially for the software developers.

The spotlight is never been very this useful. I tried other product which they say they have the same function as spotlight, but never beat the spotlight of OS X. And for El Capitan, the best spotlight ever. you don't need to really open the application. Like calculator, dictionary, convertion, any emails etc.

OS X El Capitan review by <span>Brittany H.</span>
Brittany H.

"El Capitan is El Capigood"

What do you like best?

I'm so glad for spit view and adding videos to my notes. Great to collect everything that is inspiring me for creative projects (can you say epic mood boards?).

What do you dislike?

Wiggling the mousepad quickly to find the cursor seems like a big deal...if lose your cursor and can't figure out how to find it. I wish resources would have been put to better use than creating that trick.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There are quite a few improvements that might be easy to overlook. Look up what you might be missing! Tips and tricks are all over the place. Don't get left behind!

As with any software update, the business problem we want to solve is productivity. This seems to be a step in the right direction.

OS X El Capitan review by User in Computer Games
User in Computer Games

"Very stable OS, no issues whatsoever"

What do you like best?

Besides this version of OSX being rock solid as the previous ones, it provides me with a few cool new features that i find very useful.

The first one is the ability to split view multiple windows. As a developer, i find myself having dozens of different open apps at any given point in time. Having the ability to dock 2 different apps side by side is very useful and time saving for me.

The other nice (although "small") feature is the ability to track down the cursor easily. It often happens that the cursor gets lost in the background while many different apps are launched. A new feature in this version lets you "shake" the mouse which makes the cursor grow for a second, and making it easier to find it.

What do you dislike?

The installation took a bit too long for me for this version. Other than that, there's not much i dont like about this OS.

I am a software developer. As such, i need a stable OS that allows me to multi task and take my machine to the max.

OS X El Capitan review by User in Non-Profit Organization Management
User in Non-Profit Organization Management

"Apple OSX El Capitan Review "

What do you like best?

I like the fact that everything is so fluid when I am completing work. I always utilize my laptop for my work needs, and it has definitely made things much easier with regards to workflow.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the fact that it sometimes freezes. If there's anything to avoid this, then that would be super helpful. I also wish that it wasn't an SSD drive because I'd like to switch out the hard drives since I use my laptop more for video editing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would definitely suggest on purchasing this laptop even if you won't be using it for work. It is super helpful, especially for schoolwork. I always bring my laptop on the go, and the new iOS software makes it very simple to access whatever your needs may be. It doesn't take a long time to open up the apps and it's great that I can multitask to fit my needs. In addition, I believe this iOS software is much faster than the previous version, so it's beneficial in meeting my needs.

As I mentioned previously, when the laptop slows down or freezes, it hinders my ability to work efficiently. However, with regards to benefits, I have realized that the laptop does a great job with making sure everything's accessible and easy to understand.

OS X El Capitan review by Consultant in Information Technology and Services
Consultant in Information Technology and Services

"Excellent tool for productivity"

What do you like best?

As an onsite tech consultant and developer on iOS and OS X, I have to say that El Capitan has been smooth for myself and my clients. Xcode 7 has proven to be polished for me. With every release it gets easier to automatically configure devices for development, and Swift has just improved.

What do you dislike?

I dislike how developers are just about forced to move to the latest OS for each version of Xcode, as there are occasionally OS releases that are a bit buggier than usual (not OS X, but iOS 8 is a good example).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be sure to have a backup of your previous system. I generally prefer fresh installs, but it is definitely okay to install on top of Mavericks/Yosemite etc.

I am making computers more accessible to individuals who aren't experienced with computers. They have been able to easily edit movies, edit and share photos, and take care of email with OS X El Capitan.

OS X El Capitan review by <span>Shane H.</span>
Shane H.

"OK, but a few problems"

What do you like best?

I like the way it looks and feels. It seems to be a little more pleasing on the eyes and flows a little better.

What do you dislike?

I lost my VPN connection and had to reinstall. I also lost my 2nd monitor functionality. I had to reinstall both the VPN connection and had to figure out how to make the 2nd monitor work. Spent an hour or so accomplishing boht.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be prepared to reinstall or adjust functionality that no longer works with the new OS. It is good overall, however.

I primarily use the Mac for teaching, but do connect to Microsoft Windows-based PC for other work. This functionality is still present with the new OS, but like I said, I had to reinstall.

OS X El Capitan review by <span>M. Serhat D.</span>
M. Serhat D.

"Stable and Rock Solid"

What do you like best?

Performance improvements are significant in El Capitan. In fact El Capitan looks like more a performance focused upgrade than new features. Don't expect big changes or new the features with this upgrade, but the performance improvements makes El Capital totally worth to upgrade. OSX is now less RAM consuming than older versions when the system is idled. Basic OSX features like iCloud, iMessage and Safari are still stable and rock solid. I'm using OSX for Adobe After Effects and El Capitan also effected my render times positively.

What do you dislike?

I liked El Capitan in general but I was expecting more new features with this upgrade, so far I'm not satisfied with the amount of changes. Also updating to El Capitan takes too much time when it is compared to Windows 8 to Windows 10 update.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think it totally worths upgrading to El Capitan when I consider the performance improvements.

I'm using OSX for editing videos and adding visual effects on them. The overall performance of OSX is the best when it comes to video processing. With El Capitan performance improvements are now more obvious when I use Adobe After Effects.

OS X El Capitan review by <span>Rhett R.</span>
Rhett R.

"Solid upgrade"

What do you like best?

Probably my favorite thing is the ability to do a split screen with full screen apps. You can take any app and bring it to the top and then bring another one up right next to it and get a full screen experience with two apps at the same time.

What do you dislike?

I don't like how I lose track of what features are new in OS X from release to release. They start to blur together after a while.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Choose it. Its a good Macintosh update.

I program iOS apps for a living and there have been a lot of updates to SDKs that I use when programming for iOS in Xcode.

OS X El Capitan review by User in Computer Software

"A Solid Upgrade From Yosemite - The OS of Choice for 2016"

What do you like best?

OSX El Capitan (released in 2015) was a very appropriate upgrade from the last iteration of OSX, OSX Yosemite. Mostly, this release was a refined release of Yosemite. At first glance, it doesn't look like much has changed, but they did add a lot of subtle features and improvements under the hood. For one, it seems more efficient and less buggy than OSX Yosemite. They also greatly improved multiple desktop support and virtual desktops. One feature they added which people laughed at during their WWDC conference was the ability to move the mouse quickly and it will get larger so that you can find the cursor. While this is a laughable feature, I actually find myself using it quite a bit.

What do you dislike?

The upgrade process was long and can sometimes be tedious for some users. During the upgrade, you might find that some programs no longer work (primarily for developers as some programs and tools I installed using terminal became broken). However, on the bright side, most app store apps seemed to take the upgrade.

Also, one could argue that since there aren't that many new features put into this release, that upgrading to it could be considered a waste of time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want to know more about what Apple added with this revision of El Capitan, I suggest you look at Apple's own website or watch their WWDC Keynote from 2015. Both are very helpful resources which will highlight all of the changes, improvements, and features of El Capitan. I would recommend upgrading your OS if you are running newer hardware. It's a free release, which should make the choice very simple.

I primarily use OSX to develop iOS applications using Apple's own Xcode. Without the latest version of OSX on my machine, I wouldn't be able to develop using the latest technologies and SDKs. As of this writing, OSX El Capitan allows me to use Xcode 7 and develop applications using the iOS 9 SDK.

OS X El Capitan review by Administrator in Marketing and Advertising

"System running smoothly, new features in some apps that may or may not be helpful..."

What do you like best?

My system is running a bit faster since upgrading. My storage information works better so far (would always fill up quickly with temporary files in Yosemite) - but I've only had El Capitan for about two weeks, so need to see how it works down the line.

Some Safari features have been added (pinning tabs works well - however it doesn't work in Chrome yet).

The new Notes app seems helpful (checking off tasks, saving websites, etc.), however I don't use it much.

Split view may be helpful if you're doing a lot of multitasking for two apps.

What do you dislike?

I personally don't like the full-screen function in Mac, so the split view doesn't really do much for me (yet). I also use Chrome 90% of the time & Apple still has Safari as the main browser, so all the upgrades there won't help me.

Also, if you're not a heavy user of iCloud many apps (such as Notes) are not as helpful as the upgrades say. However if you use Notes without iCloud there's still some improvements.

I've also found some faults in Office for Mac since upgrading, but have yet to find out if it's the upgrade or just the Office-Mac version.

Marketing; Personal Branding; Communication

OS X El Capitan review by <span>Le T.</span>
Le T.

"Tung's review for OSX El Capitan"

What do you like best?

It is modern and beautiful. And it is very convenience when using in my work. I also like the stability and secure of OSX.

What do you dislike?

OSX is getting slower each upgrade, El Capitan is slower than Yosemite. Some applications are working not good with Mac OSX like Microsoft Office. But sometimes it does not wake up from sleep.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want to change to a new OS which is stability, secure, modern, beautiful, ease of use, the El Capitan is a good choice.

I'm a developer. I'm making iOS apps, Android apps, website.

I'm very happy because my tools need for job are working well on El Capitan.

OS X El Capitan review by <span>Winston D.</span>
Winston D.

"Great advancement of OSX."

What do you like best?

I really enjoy the command line and unix compatibility of OSX. El Capitan expands upon this by adding more features, such as jumping back to the previous command, to Terminal. It is great to be able to dev apps for linux in a relatively comparable environment thanks to brew.

What do you dislike?

I find it annoying that is based off of BSD as it is not completely compatible with Linux all the time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Remember that it isn't Linux and development works great, but staging works better.

Simple and good UI for developers which is similar enough to Linux for most cases when code is deployed to production.

OS X El Capitan review by User in Program Development
User in Program Development

"Simplicity, one the best feature about it"

What do you like best?

I like the simplicity of the operating system, its combines an excellent UI/UX without sacrificing the performance, other thing is the innovation preserving the bases of OS X.

What do you dislike?

I've working for a few days with it but I think that the battery, but could be a subjective opinion, other thing is some bugs with the docker and compatibility with some apps.

Recommendations to others considering the product

As the first thing you'll need to thing what are you going to use the OS for?

Other thing is how you used these to the previous system?

I'm a software developer, it provides me a lot of simple shortcuts that agilize my work as a developer and the communication with the other branches of the company, also provides me tons of useful software that are not present in other operating systems or other versions of OS X.

OS X El Capitan review by <span>Ashvitha V.</span>
Ashvitha V.

"Apple OS X El Capitan"

What do you like best?

like the notes features and the display.Very easy to navigate

What do you dislike?

the fact that they can run only if they have 2gb RAM.

I use this for my work and I run my automation code on this laptop.

OS X El Capitan review by Administrator in Restaurants
Administrator in Restaurants

"It's Apple...what more can be said"

What do you like best?

Apple is moving towards a more consistent experience between mobile devices and OSX. I like the senselessness that is being developed.

What do you dislike?

I really would like to see able become Hardware agnostic. In this day an age we know the OS will run on other hardware, and being able to custom build a Mac would be a huge leap in terms of OS adoption.

The ability to run OSX and Windows on the same hardware allows us to be more diverse IT engineers.

OS X El Capitan review by <span>Adam Middlesworth F.</span>
Adam Middlesworth F.

"LOVE it"

What do you like best?

Apple always updated their software so you will always be running on the latest and greatest software. I have been running on the newest software for about a year now and haven't had any troubles.

What do you dislike?

I am only writing to 40 characters here because I have to. I haven't found anything I dislike about Apple or their computer softwares.

I am able to use iMovie, iCalendar, Evernote, and all Microsoft softwares to run smoothly for my business. I LOVE that everything syncs with all Apple devices.

OS X El Capitan review by User in Higher Education

"Not as good as previous version of OSX "

What do you like best?

The split view allows me to display two contents in a screen very easily, accelerating my working process. However, it will be better if the split view will not enter the full screen mode since people might want to check the status bar without moving the pointer to the top of the screen.

What do you dislike?

The file preview uses a lot of memory space and doesn't response very frequently. This problem only happens when I upgraded the OSX to El Captain. The operating system seems less stable than the previous versions of OSX.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If people want to use the split view, then update the OSX will benefit them. Otherwise, I don't think it is necessarily to update to El Captain.

I am a software engineer and the OSX is good for developing programs.

OS X El Capitan review by <span>William L.</span>
William L.

"Mac OS continues to improve with each version"

What do you like best?

Tight integration with other Macs, and iOS. It's great to be able to share so much between different devices.

Ease of use, simple interfaces. Cheaper to service vs. Windows.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes buggy. Sometimes Apple chooses feature updates over stability fixes.

I do everything IT related with my Mac. If I need something Windows specific, it's easy to do that through virtualization.

OS X El Capitan review by User

"On the terms of OS X EL CAPITAN"

What do you like best?

I like the ablitly to ulitlize the OSX 's environment, its user friendly and easy to use/

What do you dislike?

what i dislike is the none ablilty to install on intel and amd systems. Another feature i dont like is the terminal. i would be more useful to have a updated terminal with also features for adding cammandline programs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

OSX El Capitan is the best and simplest operating system for everyone, whether you code , gaming, or basic user. its has everything for you daily needs. For work and Home.

i am learning software maintenance and code. the beneifts i have noticed are that its fliud, qick and easy to use. the app store gives me the tools i need to develop and explains each and every feature.

OS X El Capitan review by User in Computer Software

"Using it on my development MacBook"

What do you like best?

It's fast and stable. I don't care too much about extra features. I need the OS to be quick and not crash (much). It does that.

What do you dislike?

Nothing really bothers me on a day to day basis that are OS specific.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Go for it. There's no reason not to. If you are coming from Windows, it will be a big change, but you will learn to love it much more. If you already use OSX, upgrade. It's better to be on the latest and El Capitan works well.

I'm an iOS developer and I need to stay current with OSX releases to stay current with XCode and iOS releases. The latest software is working well for me. I'd say it's nothing special, but its something good.

OS X El Capitan review by <span>Lindelle F.</span>
Lindelle F.

"Apple OS X El Capitan"

What do you like best?

Like previous Apple operating systems I have used, El Capitan is intuitive and user friendly.

What do you dislike?

The Microsoft Office package available in El Capitan is behind the times.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Improvement needed with the Microsoft Office Suite. The versions of Excel and Outlook are behind.

Data management is amazing. It is so easy to get and stay organized.

"Another Excellent Upgrade"

What do you like best?

I'm a big fan of the mouse finding feature: I use that multiple times a day to find my mouse on my multi-screen setup. Additionally, I love all the features that continue from earlier versions of OS X: the Dock, Finder, Safari, Spotlight, Notifications, etc.

What do you dislike?

The App Store could use a lot of work. It's quite buggy. Also, iTunes has become extremely bloated and slow.

Recommendations to others considering the product

OS X El Capitan is a worthwhile upgrade for all OS X users, especially given that it's a completely free upgrade.

I'm a software engineer, and OS X El Capitan is more than capable of handling my heavy development workload, including running a full IDE, several webservers, chat clients, and several browsers, all at the same time.

"Smooth sailing"

What do you like best?

I really like spotlight because it's user friendly and makes finding files, apps, or definitions quick and easy. I also tend to use it as a calculator.

What do you dislike?

Safari. Since upgrading, it seems Safari is a bit laggy and clunky.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend reading a summary of new features or doing a tutorial, so that you can integrate OS X El Capitan more quickly into your workflow.

The new photos app is very useful in helping me manage photos for birthday parties and play dates. I've found it to be an integral application for editing and managing for the organization I am a member of. I have to quickly be able to find faces and upload to social media or private websites.

OS X El Capitan review by <span>Shannon C.</span>
Shannon C.

"No Issues "

What do you like best?

I do not notice any significant changes and installed this a couple of months ago. The one difference I do notice is it seems slightly faster than before

What do you dislike?

That there wasn't anything significantly different...or at least that I have noticed.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't be reluctant to update to OS X El Capitan...from what I have experienced it has been efficient. Since downloading a couple of months ago I have not personally experienced any issues with this OS

Remote work along with great productivity using this OS

OS X El Capitan review by Executive Sponsor
Executive Sponsor

"Exec review in pilot "

What do you like best?

Beautiful user interface. Easy to use-intuitive. Microsoft Office suite on Mac. Stable and available when needed. Fast performance. I am evaluating at my organization to see if it meets our needs. So far this OS does 99% of what I need to perform my work as an executive in a large healthcare organization. Simplicity of the OS could be significant value to end users.

What do you dislike?

Lack of native microsoft application like Visio is an issue for some users. Easy Microsoft Active Directory integration is missing making integration and transition into Microsoft environment challenging.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a great OS if you need basic business function. Simple, clean and functional.

I am looking for OS platform that will meet 99% of business needs, while being extremely user friendly, and easy to support.

OS X El Capitan review by <span>Andrea C.</span>
Andrea C.

"Simple and intuitive"

What do you like best?

Everything just works as it is supposed to. I don't have to spend hours troubleshooting little problems with software and drivers. If needed, I have the power of a BSD kernel and related tools.

What do you dislike?

It looks like there's no much innovation anymore in the OS. Sometimes the OS is sluggish or unresponsive for a few seconds.

I mainly write algorithms for audio signal processing in high level languages, such as Matlab, Mathematica and Python, with occasional programming in Swift/C/C++. The UI is simple and intuitive, and very attractive.

OS X El Capitan review by User in Higher Education

"Clean, Easy and Functional"

What do you like best?

The clean and simple UI design is really appealing to the eye.

What do you dislike?

The split screen feature that has been in Windows operating systems since Windows 7 is fairly new and not really to my liking. I wish the window would just fit to the right side or left side like it does in Windows.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get Apple Care to get really good tech support for 3 years.

Macs are also notoriously hard to open up/fix, so having extended warranty will be good for your wallet once your mac breaks down. (which it did for me in 5 months/ Bill = 900$ for keyboard fix)

Well Airdrop is very convenient as I can share my files really easily.

OS X El Capitan review by User in Computer Software

"Way Better than Windows."

What do you like best?

OSX is Amazing for development. everything is nice and fast, installing dev tools is easy and linux architecture is absolutely amazing.

What do you dislike?

OSX performance is dependent based on your machine. If you're upgrading to el capitan from a pre-retina macbook pro, the operating system lags a ton. On the latest and greatest? then its a no brainer to jump to this. Also very small features such as tabbed finder, faster indexing and more on the apple site makes the osx awesome.

Recommendations to others considering the product

> 2012 Macbook - Upgrade!

Developers love mac.

OS X El Capitan review by User

"An incremental, but polished update to an already great OS"

What do you like best?

El Capitan is a much needed improvement over Yosemite. While the latter was an important design rethink, the former improves on it by fixing bugs and adding under the hood improvements. Certainly one of the biggest additions is Metal, a graphical driver that improves animations and in-game performance in games that offer support.

What do you dislike?

The lack of a news app (like the one present on iOS) is unfortunate, but the worst offender is without a doubt iTunes. It's laggy, buggy and bloated, and the new Music interface seems like an afterthought. Apple should definitely rewrite the whole app from the ground up.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't install apps that you are not sure you need. OS X comes preinstalled with high-quality apps that should be enough to cover most use cases.

I'm a Computer Science student and El Capitan is surely one of the most useful pieces of software that I use daily. It has great tools for all kinds of software development, and third-party support is amazing.

OS X El Capitan review by User in Telecommunications
User in Telecommunications

"Easy to use Apple OS"

What do you like best?

The one thing I like best about Apple OSX El Capitan is the ability to do a split view with multiple apps.

What do you dislike?

The one thing I dislike about Apple OSX El Capitan is the photos app. It could be that I just need to spend more time getting to know the new features. Change is sometimes difficult.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend Apple OSX El Capitan for your business use. Faster performance and bug free.

The business problems I am solving is the ability to be more productive in my work day. Working in multiple apps at the same time and the integration with Safari , mail, messages, etc make my life much easier.

OS X El Capitan review by User in Consumer Electronics
User in Consumer Electronics

"MacOSX El Capitan is my primary work and portable operating system."

What do you like best?

Being a software engineer, I generally use very low level functionality of OSX, so I usually don't utilize the features that Apple releases for their incremental operating system updates. I do, however, use Safari as my primary browser for work related websites. The feature I have used the most from El Capitan is the ability to pin my tabs.

El Capitan introduces a new way to use two way authentication from Apple's old implementation. The new method is much more streamlined and easier to use.

I guess another feature I use sparsely is the more elaborate spotlight. Even though I use spotlight heavily, I very rarely utilize the extra information.

What do you dislike?

El Capitan introduces new security features like System Integrity Protection and App Transport Security. Both of these security features are incredibly useful for non-technical users, however, as an web and app developer, they have added an extra hindrance to my day to day work. Many apps that I use to help me work more efficiently or help me monitor my system resources have been disabled by Apple's System Integrity Protection. The apps can no longer hook into certain resources and have effectively been neutered by Apple. The App Transport Security adds unnecessary steps in order for me to get previously working apps back to a usable state. In my opinion, the ATS is unnecessary from a developer standpoint since all developers should really know to always use an encrypted web connection when sending and receiving data.

I do not work with any sort of business at all at my job.

OS X El Capitan review by <span>Mario N.</span>
Mario N.

"My current OS"

What do you like best?

All the best Apple has to offer in its OS

What do you dislike?

Using too much memory on an old Macbook Pro, and making it slow

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you do a backup before updating, in case it doesn't work well with your hardware

Working with scientific software

OS X El Capitan review by User in Computer Software

"Easy to use, one of my favorite OSs yet. "

What do you like best?

Fast performance, spotlight is really easy to use (I use it for simple math, looking up documents, screenshots fairly quickly). I rarely used Safari but find myself using it more on El Capitan.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the computer will just shut down, start up is difficult at times. A lot of the times it will not detect my USB's! (Never happened before)

Main work computer has El Capitan and has been really great. Fast performance is always good for fast results!

OS X El Capitan review by User in Facilities Services
User in Facilities Services

"Great Enhancement!"

What do you like best?

Continuity. I like that I can pass off documents and that I can receive my texts and phone calls on the mac.

What do you dislike?

Changes made to iTunes. It doesn't look like what I was used to seeing on a bit confused where some of my buttons and features went.

Being able to share and collaborate on documents has helped when we need to communicate to customers. The fact that I can have someone proofread the same document has helped save time.

OS X El Capitan review by <span>Aryan B.</span>
Aryan B.

"All benefits of unix/linux and windows"

What do you like best?

In OS X El Capitan, you could have all benefits windows, like good UI and UX beside all practical utility tools for developer. By the way if you have mac and you are developer you should have Brew!

What do you dislike?

Some sudden index problem in Spotlight, for example when I search for Xcode sometimes no result!!!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Using package manager like brew.

Backend development and iOS development.

OS X El Capitan review by <span>Nagen S.</span>
Nagen S.

"only for light work"

What do you like best?

its fast and responsive even though very old

What do you dislike?

has slowed down after years of working. even though i havent done an upgrade or any change in the other applications

Recommendations to others considering the product

Old OS. But it still works

solving light weight programming problems. For light weight operations or programming on the cloud, it still works !

OS X El Capitan review by <span>Goston W.</span>