Apple OS X Mavericks

With more than 200 new features, OS X Mavericks brings iBooks and Maps to the Mac, includes a new version of Safari, enhances multi-display support, introduces Finder Tabs and Tags and delivers new core technologies for breakthrough power efficiency and performance.

Work for Apple OS X Mavericks?

Learning about OS X Mavericks?

Apple OS X Mavericks Reviews

Showing 11 OS X Mavericks reviews
OS X Mavericks review by <span>Benjamin P.</span>
Benjamin P.

Free upgrade and better stability

What do you like best?

With every update OSX becomes a bit more performant, provides more battery power and stability. Mavericks provides a lot of improvements in these fields as well. Besides that the upgrade from previous versions is usually free of charge.

What do you dislike?

Although it is quite easy for newcomers to adapt to OSX there are still confusing elements in comparison to competitors operating systems. This includes a required transition of User-Experience.

Recommendations to others considering the product

OSX Mavericks has a lot of improvements and provides a working and rich-features environment for developing and business purposes. If you consider to use OSX Mavericks now, you should also consider to upgrade to future versions like Sierra.

We continuously use the latest OSX version on our company hardware to maintain the compatibility to the latest software.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Apple OS X Mavericks
OS X Mavericks review by <span>Francis Andrew B.</span>
Francis Andrew B.

Solid, but Outdated

What do you like best?

Mavericks stability and support is easily its best feature at the moment. More complex software that requires time to ensure compatibility with an OS has all at least been updated to be compatible with Mavericks, if not even Yosemite. As such, if you're worried about upgrading your OS and what it may do to your software compatibility, Mavericks shouldn't be a problem at all.

What do you dislike?

Mavericks does lack the features that make El Capitan or even Yosemite great. Spotlight isn't as fast, Safari is not nearly as sharp or quick, and the OS generally does not run as fast, even on older machines. That being said, the OS is incredibly stable, and does not cause any problems, which is why we still run it on one of our less-frequently used machines.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're worried about compatibility of complex software, use OS X Mavericks. If you only use standard and current software, go ahead and upgrade to OS X Yosemite or El Capitan, you will be pleased with their additional features and GUI.

Mavericks is incredibly stable, which helps us if we get into a pinch in an unusual situation. Very rarely, we have a problem with heavy workloads on our more current machines, and when we try to run the same process on our older machine running Mavericks it almost always works.

What Operating System solution do you use?

OS X Mavericks review by <span>Callum L.</span>
Callum L.

Clean & Simple UI, Not for a windows or linux power-user though

What do you like best?

Clean and simple UI (user-interface). Everything is drag & drop: installing, file management.

Handy app store for quickly finding appropriate software for different tasks, however you will find that a lot of these applications feel like bloat-ware and are no match for established third-party software!

What do you dislike?

Operating system fails to boot as you run out of storage, wish there was pre-allocated for a cache to enable you to boot with a filled HDD or SSD. The operating system does not provide the level of customization windows does at first glance and many settings may be difficult to find for the average user.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want a simple user interface with the basics the Mac is definitely for you, however if you're wanting to do more complex tasks the perhaps find another.

Using mavericks means you are 99.9% of the time using an apple machine which will help with your professional appearance (only for designers etc.) because of how the general public per-sieve designers. the operating system is easy to use and will suit the general use of many consumers and professionals. However, when moving from windows to Mac, many users will have difficulty understanding the simplicity of the system (It all seems to simple to be true).

OS X Mavericks review by User in Animation
User in Animation

Honestly? not much difference

What do you like best?

I generally like OSX as a whole, its slick, responsive, user friendly design is a dream to use. It's so good that Microsoft has been trying to copy it's formula since XP, and for years they have been falling flat on their face. It's hard to capture that certain magic that Apple have attained with their OS. They keep it extremely up to date, going as far as offering free upgrades to new versions in the app store.

What do you dislike?

As I mentioned, I can't find a particularly bad point about Apple's software, although with all the frequent updates, I think they can sometimes be a bit hasty with releases as I always hear bad things about new versions. However I feel that the common user can rarely tell much difference between different versions, as I personally can't find much change from Lion to Mavericks. I'm also fairly confident I'll never end up using any of the features that distinct one version from another.

The main factor that deters me from upgrading, its mainly the concern that some of my software may not immediately work on a new version.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Eh.... as good as any other version of OSX, just stay away from Windows and you'll be fine.

I learned a valuable lesson when I upgraded from Lion to Mavericks during University as I had a project due in but was unable to finish due to incompatible software. I managed to get this project in after filing an extension but it was a very close call and a lesson well learned.

OS X Mavericks review by <span>Joshua M.</span>
Joshua M.

Mavericks is a solid operating system

What do you like best?

After putting up with a number of bugs in Mountain Lion, Mavericks is a breath of fresh air. Not much has changed visually, besides tags, iBooks, and iMaps. Integration with iOS has improved.

What do you dislike?

I'd like for the connection between Mac and iOS to be more streamlined, but it is well on its way. At a glance, Yosemite and El Capitan are going more in that direction.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Because of other softwares I've not been able to upgrade the OS yet, but Mavericks is still running strong.

I do everything on this operating system. One of the more helpful features is multiple "desktops" to work from, so that I'm not constantly minimizing windows when I get mail, browse the internet, work on a document, etc.

OS X Mavericks review by <span>Austin Y.</span>
Austin Y.

Excellent Software and simple to use

What do you like best?

My favorite features are: iBooks, which now allow users to read their ebook files on the computer. The addition of multiple display support, which allows multiple monitors to show the Dock and menu bars. I also love the Maps app, which lets you route trip directions and send them to your iPhone for turn-by-turn audio directions once you leave.

What do you dislike?

My computer was older and not optimized for Mavericks when I downloaded it, so it slowed it down considerably.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure to have a computer with adequate specs to handle the download and running of Mavericks.

It has simplified my computing, and is so much easier to use than Windows.

Learning about Apple OS X Mavericks?

* We monitor all Apple OS X Mavericks reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.