Apple OS X Mountain Lion

OS X Mountain Lion is Apple's best OS yet. Because all these new features add up to one amazing experience on your Mac. And every device you use.

Work for Apple OS X Mountain Lion?

Learning about Apple OS X?

Apple OS X Mountain Lion Reviews

Showing 77 Apple OS X reviews
Apple OS X review by Administrator in Higher Education
Administrator in Higher Education

"Mountain Lion- good for its time"

What do you like best?

When Mountain Lion came out it was a great update to the Mac OS X platform. It added features like notification center, airplay mirroring, messages which made a step to seamlessly go between your iOS devices and your mac. It added reminders, It added Gatekeeper, and Power nap which was a huge step in background updates and syncing, and security. It added dictation to the mac, which was fantastic, and provided a native solution without needing to spend money on third party software like dragon dictate.

What do you dislike?

Well not a lot of the features have been much approved upon, and it you are still running mountain lion on your mac but are syncing with your iOS devices that have updated to iOS 9 or 10 a lot father iCloud syncing features will not sync between the devices anymore to the mac. That would be the most frustrating thing about it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would say that this software is becoming out of date and would not suggest putting it on machines, it would also be hard to download considering the age of this software

It doesn't always keep an active directory account synced depending on password changing dates, and whether or not it is hard wired into the network,.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Apple OS X Mountain Lion
Apple OS X review by Rebecca Sanborn S.
Rebecca Sanborn S.

"Good operating system, no major problems"

What do you like best?

This was a solid OS - no major problems installing, and it worked very smoothly

What do you dislike?

Some nice upgrades in functionality; a few software platforms (like Adobe CS) had trouble adjusting.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Backup everything before installing any new OS, and be sure to do when you have time to troubleshoot and go backward if needed. Don't install when you are on a deadline and can't deal with hiccups!

I used this as my main operating system on my business computer until upgrading to new versions of Mac OS.

What Operating System solution do you use?

Apple OS X review by Phil H.
Phil H.

"Bringing the best of iOS to your Mac"

What do you like best?

Mountain Lion is a big improvement over Lion, bringing some of the best features of iOS to your laptop/desktop. Having Notification Center on your laptop/desktop is huge, as is sharing to Facebook, Twitter, etc.

What do you dislike?

While iMessaging is good in theory it only works when messaging with someone else on an Apple device. Plus messages can end up out of order, and sometimes can show from a person's email address instead of their phone number.

Recommendations to others considering the product

In my opinion it's well worth the $20 upgrade from Lion

I use Mountain Lion on my laptop at home and I love having all my notes, reminders, calendars, etc. right in front of me when working.

Apple OS X review by Lee S.
Lee S.

"OS X Messages and AirPlay have drastically changed how we do business."

What do you like best?

OS X 10.8 provided me and my company a solution to remove clunky projectors and replace them with AppleTVs for projecting computer content wirelessly.

What do you dislike?

Utilizing this version of OS X for5 years I still can find no purpose for Game Center. Even those who find themselves as a casual gamer or hard-core gamer do not see the functionality of the "Game Center" application

Recommendations to others considering the product

With 10.11 (El Capitan) already made for public use, I don't recommend anyone utilizing 10.8 in the year 2016.

I've never realized the benefit of having a full keyboard to access my text messages from my computer, rather than my mobile device.

"Better than Lion"

What do you like best?

Having a low end macbook that cannot be updated to Mavericks, Mountain Lion really does its job well. it is compatible with most software such as Microsoft Office, and running professional grade software pretty quick, namely the Adobe softwares.

Mostly it is the speed. Compared to Windows Vista I have previously used, this OS is definitely ten notches better. Also, the learning curve for this software is rather low, because it is designed to be easy to use.

What do you dislike?

The incompatibility with softwares such as the latest version of iMovie, Garageband and Skype proved to be inconvenient sometimes. However, it did not hinder my day to day use and still did the job for me.

Also, compared to the designs right now (flat) for Yosemite, the previous design seem uncomfortable for some of my peers while working with my computer. They are not familiar with my UI anymore, despite having used it for over 5 years (the design).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Although Mountain Lion is suitable for my use due to a low end macbook and limited funds, I definitely suggest one to buy a new macbook and update to its latest software. Many software are incompatible with Mountain Lion, especially the new ones such as the newest version of Skype.

Using Mountain Lion on a very old macbook is rather annoying sometimes, as the hardware is heavy compared to the new one, however, it can completely solve the business problem I have right now. Creating websites using open source software such as atom.io and brackets.io is rather easy and fast to use. Previewing using Chrome is easy as well. I think this OS is useful generally for software designer that has limited budget but want to appear professional, like me.

Apple OS X review by User in Computer Software

"Dated but Strong Operating System"

What do you like best?

OSX Mountain Lion was a great iteration in the releases of OSX. This is the "10.8" release which was actually released back in 2012. It was the successor to OSX Lion. Arguably, it was a refined release of Lion, fixing bugs, improving performance, and adding new features. One of the biggest features they added was a deeper integration into iCloud. If you are an Apple user with other Apple devices (like iPhones or iPads), this is a very handy feature.

What do you dislike?

It is now 2015 and Mountain Lion is a dated system as it's almost 3 years old now. Since then, Apple has released 3 major revisions of OSX. If you have older hardware (I'd say pre-2010), Mountain Lion might be the last and best operating system to run. The modern versions of OSX (El Capitan and Yosemite at the time of this posting), require a bit more power to run efficiently.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Unless you are running pretty old hardware, I would actually look into the newer releases of OSX. El Capitan is still fairly new at the time of this posting, so it might be best to start with Yosemite. It has over a year of bug fixes and improvements and is very solid. I'm currently running El Capitan on a desktop machine and Yosemite on a laptop. Both run very well. If you must use an older version of OSX, I wouldn't hesitate to grab Mountain Lion.

I personally use the OSX operating system to create iOS applications using Xcode. Xcode only runs on OSX, so it has been very helpful in accomplishing my professional goals. Today, I'm using the latest version of OSX (El Capitan) but I started off using Mountain Lion.

Apple OS X review by Gilles S.
Gilles S.

"Simplicity in a Creative's World"

What do you like best?

The ease of use, the way that Mac compliments user's and the way they navigate a UI. The dashboard function that almost makes the screen like a smart device. The connectivity to my phone and other data via the cloud. The capacity of the system to dual-boot when I need another OS.

What do you dislike?

the lack of programs that I could easily implement with .exe programs, and also the lack of functionality that makes me be able to do intense personalization with aesthetics. Also as a freelancer who also uses some small programs that aren't MAC compatable - it would be nice to have the capacity to easily go from PC/MAC on my computer without Apple being such a beauraucratic sneaky pete about it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just Upgrade as Apple encourages you too. It's just the nature of the beast that Apple retires old Operating systems to seem clunkier as they keep updating all of their items around it. Keep in mind this is just in the perspective of a lay user, and not an Apple snob.

Design problems and solutions. As a freelance illustrator, utilizing a system that provides -ease of access- to my commonly used programs, and also minimizes the impact program windows have, and also the ability to have adobe (Illustrator, indesign, photoshop) windows just go RIGHT on top of the desktop by default is real nice, and functional when using reference materials.

Apple OS X review by Evan Michael H.
Evan Michael H.

"Robust Operating System"

What do you like best?

I was a big fan of Mountain Lion. It offered the usual under-the-hood improvements Apple is famous for while remaining familiar. The best part about using OS X is the easy of use and reliability. Time Machine has saved the day on more than one occasion when a file was missing or I wanted to revert back to a previous version of a spreadsheet when I found bad data.

What do you dislike?

I would consider myself an exclusive Mac user, so I found little wrong with the software. If you are a Windows user, you may find the lack of a start menu to be jarring, however, I recommend sticking to it. OS X has caused

Recommendations to others considering the product

Currently most of our computers are on systems that are more current than Mountain Lion, (Yosemite/El Capitan), but for older systems, Mountain Lion remains the fastest update for them.

The main advantage of using OS X is the elimination of IT problems that plague PCs. Everyone in the office uses Mac, some on different versions, yet they all work perfectly together. Our servers continue to run on OS X with no problems.

Apple OS X review by Kristen R.
Kristen R.

"Mac has a streamlined design and I love that the operating system is virtually virus-free. "

What do you like best?

Variety of programs available in the OS.

What do you dislike?

Hard to see two windows side by side when I need to multi-task.

I frequently find that while other companies' OS's would have deteriorated by now, Mac OS Mountain Lion remains relevant to today's needs and has barely slowed down after a few years of usage. I need the speed and ease often to complete by daily work.

Apple OS X review by Adam C.
Adam C.

"Simple to install and move forward"

What do you like best?

This OS runs on so many different machines and is the base for stable software. It's the oldest version of the MAC OS that you can run and keep flash and other needed items up to date.

What do you dislike?

The software can be slow and cumbersome to load.

We are able to utilize older hardware for lesser impacted roles and continue use of hardware past normal usage.

Apple OS X review by User in Animation
User in Animation

"Great OS, but not a lot of difference between versions"

What do you like best?

I really like OSX as a whole, its slick, responsive, user friendly design is a dream to use. It's so good that Microsoft has been trying to copy it's formula since XP, and for years they have been failed miserably. It's hard to capture that certain magic that Apple have attained with their OS not just on mac but on all their platforms. They keep it extremely up to date, going as far as offering free upgrades to new versions in the app store.

What do you dislike?

As I mentioned, I can't find a particularly bad point about Apple's software, although with all the frequent updates, I think they can sometimes be a bit hasty with releases as I always hear bad things about new versions. However I feel that the common user can rarely tell much difference between different versions, as I personally can't find much change from Lion to Mavericks as I'm sure I rarely use any of the features that distinct one version from another.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Of course, Windows is absolutely terrible and I invite everyone and anyone to switch to mac. Although I can't say much if you're trying to pick between different versions of OSX, however as Apple are so frequent with free upgrades and updates, you will most likely end up with the latest version

I learned a valuable lesson when I upgraded from Lion to Mavericks during University as I had a project due in but was unable to finish due to incompatible software. I managed to get this project in after filing an extension but it was a very close call and a lesson well learned.

Apple OS X review by User in Broadcast Media
User in Broadcast Media

"A solid upgrade"

What do you like best?

If you are running Lion or snow Leopard then I can't recommend mountain Lion highly enough. it had some great performance fixes while retaining a similar interface to its predecessors. It's cloud support offered a similar experience across a wide variety of devices.

What do you dislike?

I remember it crashing more often than I would like, and a few apps were missed in the early upgrade. However now with El Capitan available Mountain lion feels a little outdated. A few things also feel like they were looked over like the game center.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Anyone still considering updating OS would best be served by El Capitan at this point in the game.

The mountain lion upgrade brought some great upgrades with cloud access and storage that we didnt have before.

Apple OS X review by Carter R.
Carter R.

"Perfectly useful OS, though it has been upgraded on by El Capitan"

What do you like best?

I think that Mountain Lion was one of Apple's better operating systems. I had it in my Macbook Pro for some time and much preferred it to the newer "Mavericks."

What do you dislike?

I didn't have any problems specifically with Mountain Lion, but at this point, it's prudent to upgrade to El Capitan.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Honestly, while I very much enjoyed Apple OSX Mountain Lion, if you have a computer capable of running it, there's no reason to not have El Capitan at this point.

I no longer use OS Mountain Lion, but my computer ran at a well-optimized level, and the features do age particularly well. This helped me do my work efficiently and quickly while having multiple programs running.

Apple OS X review by Rafael C.
Rafael C.

"Fast, Quick and easy to use"

What do you like best?

The flow and the sync with the iphone and apple watch, it all works together making the experience that much greater.

What do you dislike?

I dislike Itunes that everytime I have to use anything with music it ends up opening itunes.

Viruses , they are limited to none and malware with extra security makes the system that much better.

Apple OS X review by Mihai V.
Mihai V.

"Old but gold."

What do you like best?

Even if it is an old operating system, it still stands for the basis of some key features the current version of MAC OS contains, like Spotlight. It is stable, even more stable than Yosemite.

What do you dislike?

Because it is an old version, it is not compatible at the moment with latest versions of some other softwares.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you prefer stable systems without caring too much of having latest features, do not upgrade to Yosemite or El capitan and keep Lion or Mavericks, as they are still among the most stable.

Before upgrading, I had been using it as usual, for coding, research, etc.

Apple OS X review by Matthew J.
Matthew J.

"Truly relaiable"

What do you like best?

Mac OS X Mountain Lion is one of the best operating systems I have used. It is now older and Apple has updated since then, but still one of the best stepping stones to what they have today.

What do you dislike?

When it first came out there was a lot that needed to change, but now with the latest ones Apple OS X is one of the best.

I reliable operating system.

Apple OS X review by Scott S.
Scott S.

"Goes ok"

What do you like best?

Works, not great, but it works. I wish it could do more complex actions.

What do you dislike?

Too simple. Doesn't allow me to do everything that I want to do.

No business problems.

Apple OS X review by User in Non-Profit Organization Management
User in Non-Profit Organization Management

"Apple OSX Mountain Lion Review "

What do you like best?

Since the release of Apple's new operating software, I have thoroughly enjoyed using it to complete any work required from me at my job or browsing any social media platforms. The interface is very simple and accessible for those who haven't used a MacBook before. Although I was not well informed on how to use an Apple laptop/computer, I was able to utilize everything to its full extent at the end of the first day using the software.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the fact that it crashes occasionally. At times I would be working on several projects of mine through different applications and the application would just crash. I believe there should be an update available to avoid application-based crashes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're a first-time user of MacBooks, this is definitely the software you should try utilizing. I believe it will help out with everyday needs that are geared toward any computer user.

I believe MacBooks should be installed in more office spaces and companies. I also believe it will help improve the company's efficiency with any products installed on the operating software. Many people use computers nowadays and it would just be really convenient for people to use a simple, accessible operating software where everyone would be comfortable with using.

"Mac OSX review"

What do you like best?

Mac OS (Lion) is great. I like the way that you can have multiple desktops. Also, as a developer, the terminal (Unix based) is very fast and stable. Much much better that trying to use the Command Prompt in Windows.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes there is only "one way" or doing things in Mac. It is the "intuitive" Mac way, but there is some learning curve on doing basic stuff.

Command line (Terminal) usage for software development. It's very stable useful. Many things are pre-installed.

Apple OS X review by User in Non-Profit Organization Management
User in Non-Profit Organization Management

"Nice step forward in for Apple operating. "

What do you like best?

The features are streamlined in a way that I had hopped for in past operating systems and really came together nicely in this. I went from using a very outdated system to this and found the update really amazing even on my older machine.

What do you dislike?

Everything takes a while to sync and open. Itunes making my password expire so often is a drag, and annoying.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a nice progression to more cloud based applications, and really allows easy of use that I never feel from windows.

Updating my old machine, the support was great and really helpful.

It also everything to work between machines so much easier, things open quickly and I'm able to be more efficient.

Apple OS X review by Agency
Agency

"LOVE IT"

What do you like best?

I love how easy it is to use and access materials. i love how you can copy and paste and drag and drop items within the interface.

What do you dislike?

some of the user interface is not completely user friends.

How to keep track of people's schedules as well as keeping track of emails.

Apple OS X review by User in Hospital & Health Care

"Lovely and easy operating system"

What do you like best?

I love how easy it is to sync to other apple products and how easy it is to use the interface. Apple is great at that!

What do you dislike?

It is a little buggy and requires many updates.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you want to switch to apple products for everything because it doesn't sync well with other products.

Apple products are becoming more popular in the business world, so it helps to know the operating system.

Apple OS X review by User in Marketing and Advertising

"Works fine, but I like Windows better"

What do you like best?

The interface looks nice, and I like having my main applications available on the dock

What do you dislike?

Sometimes runs very slowly, and there's times where all my applications freeze for a couple minutes. There's also no easy way to see everything installed and what processes are running. I don't like how you can't easily copy and paste the path to folders like in Windows.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you like Apple products then you'll probably love it.

I use a mac at work everyday to complete web development projects for clients.

Apple OS X review by User in Higher Education

"OS X Mountain Lion"

What do you like best?

The most up to date and best OSX to date!

What do you dislike?

Nothing comes to mind as of yet. I'm sure something will eventually though.

Reviewing org strategic plan

Apple OS X review by User in Higher Education

"OS X Mountain Lion"

What do you like best?

Ease of use, no prior knowledge of OS necessary

What do you dislike?

Nothing really. I use this both at home and at work

All

Apple OS X review by Dmitri K.
Dmitri K.

"Apple OS X"

What do you like best?

OS is very stable, user friendly, everything easy to find

What do you dislike?

Some integration problem with older applications

I'm using it 100% of time

Apple OS X review by Jeff L.
Jeff L.

"Apple OSX Mountain Lion Review"

What do you like best?

It took me many years to leave the comfort zone of Windows, but once I switched to the Apple OS I've never looked back. Seamless integration between my laptop, iPhone and iPad is awesome. The ability to link with AppleTV and use AirPlay for projections is a nice bonus instead of hooking to an external projector and dealing with the fan and the heat. Mountain Lion is simple, neat, and works. I never reboot my laptop anymore.

What do you dislike?

I still feel like there are many things that are hidden, or I'm not sure where to find them within OSX. Installing new applications on OSX is not as intuitive as with Windows.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Due to the iPhone and iPad, Apple is making extensive headway into the corporate world.

Simplicity and stability. OSX makes it much easier to organize and integrate many facets of technology.

"Great OS"

What do you like best?

It’s a very fast, fluid os that supports a lot of development and design applications

What do you dislike?

Sometimes startup takes a long time, and some critical windows apps are not supported

Recommendations to others considering the product

Spend the extra money! It’s a great program.

We can synchronize all of our teams tools

Apple OS X review by Jeff C.
Jeff C.

"Apple at it's best"

What do you like best?

This release fixes some of the biggest problems that many users (including me) have had with apple OSX in the past. Multi-screen is now an amazing experience, apple tv and cross screen interface is seamless. Being able to message other apple users (iPhone, iMessages etc) from my computer and the ability to more easily organize and categorize information on my machine is now extremely easy.

What do you dislike?

When using two screens I like to keep my dock on one screen and some times it will hop around just by moving the mouse in the wrong spot.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just take the time and upgrade!

I am a mac user at home and at the office, the Apple OSX is my way to conduct business, this is my main way to solve all my business problems.

Apple OS X review by Chris L.
Chris L.

"OSX is great"

What do you like best?

I love the look and feel. I really like the notifications that you get at the top right along with how the notifications sync with my iPad. Apple is killing it with their recent operating systems. Hopefully it continues to get better and better!

What do you dislike?

Updates take a long time to install and last time I updated I lost some stuff as well, which was my own fault for not backing up.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you back up all your stuff before you upgrade

Apple is so simple to use. I am benefiting from the ease of use, syncing with my iPad and just a great UX.

"Very Slick OS"

What do you like best?

The seamless set of awesome features, The best features a OS could have.

The best features one could have, good one.

What do you dislike?

The Office is not inbuiltThe Office is not inbuiltThe Office is not inbuiltThe Office is not inbuiltThe Office is not inbuilt

Recommendations to others considering the product

Learn the innovation

Need just an OS, it is solving the problem

Apple OS X review by Jonathan P.
Jonathan P.

"Vivid and Exceptional"

What do you like best?

I love the theming, the colors, the organization, and the way messages and notification center are incorporated into the OSX system now. So if you need to message a fellow iPhone, iPod, Mac, or iPad user with iMessage activated, you can simply type or send your message off of the computer, phone, or mobile Apple device. I love how I can be notified about updates, messages, or other notifications from Facebook or other applications. The operating system is beyond amazing and only gets better with every available update. There is so much to discover within using the OSX system but it is all always somehow still similar to its previous version, just touched up and modernized. Support on how to use it is always available and the even better thing is that compatibility is much better than ever.

What do you dislike?

The only downfall is that every big update (OSX change) is about $20, but it is honestly much cheaper and better than Microsoft when they come out with a new system update. Another thing is that new updates are about 1-2 times every year, so as soon as you buy one update, a few months will pass and announcements for the newer version are already in place.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a great software, if you plan to update, backup your information to be on the safe side. Usually Apple updates recommend it but I have done a few updates without backing up and I still have everything on my computer. I love Apple's simplicity both in the computer system and in mobile devices. It's a great software for people who enjoy organization, ease of use, and sync between devices.

Apple OS X review by Brittany T.
Brittany T.

"I am sold"

What do you like best?

I love this clean and simple to use software. A well thought out and cleanly executed piece of software is all a user can ask for and Apple delivers with Mountain Lion.

What do you dislike?

Some people have said this is the best version of the Apple system to date and I would have to agree. there is nothing I do not love about this!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Go for it! Don't let the cost deter you! The software is solid!

I use my mac for personal and business things and it's seamless. Its the best user experience you could ask fro!

Apple OS X review by User in Internet

"Great OS with few glitches"

What do you like best?

All the new features released in this version are great ones.

What do you dislike?

Have occasionally seen some hanging issues.

We have provided mac laptops to all the developers and all the software developments is being done on this OS

Apple OS X review by John H.
John H.

"Fantastic Operating System"

What do you like best?

Having owner many Mac and PCs over the years, with many operating systems, I am happy to report that iOS is my favorite. I had always considered myself a "PC guy" until I got my first Macbook Pro, which turned me into a convert. In fact, almost 8 years later I am typing this particular review on that laptop, and it is still going strong. When you first switch to Mac you have a bit of a learning curve as you get used to where everything is, but after that it is smooth sailing. Not having to work about viruses is almost reason enough reason to switch.

What do you dislike?

One of the downsides, of course, is price. PCs are so much cheaper that it is difficult to justify the expense. The other downside for me is the few programs not available on Mac. For me, the one I most miss is Microsoft Visio.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The time I have spent troubleshooting my Macs running Mountain Lion has been one tenth the time spent working on Windows-based PCs. It is robust and stable. I recommend it!

Apple OS X review by Ranen P.
Ranen P.

"New OS is innovates and frustrates"

What do you like best?

The new desktop spaces are easily easily my favorite feature OS. Slide four fingers to the right and you've got yourself a new blank space to work with. Easy to flip back and forth between spaces, easier than expose anyway. Feels like I have to monitors.

What do you dislike?

1. The app store CONSTANTLY bug me to update my programs. There were a bunch of other annoying notifications I could turn off in the settings menu, but you can't turn these off. And they show up about 20 times a day, unless you update.

2. They're clearly going for a more touch friendly interface, but on my laptop some of these features are frustrating, namely 3 finger drag. The three finger drag to is now used to select text, which was frustrating to get used to, because it used be assigned to other important functions, like going forward and back on a web browser. Also, when moving objects, you can no longer double click and drag when using tap to click on the touch pad. You HAVE to use 3 finger drag...it's pretty frustrating to say the least.

3. There were some updates to the mail program, preview, etc, but none of the changes really felt like they were worth paying for. In the case of preview, they were unwelcome.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Honestly, I wouldn't bother upgrading from snow leopard. More frustrating than friendly. But, my guess is users need to in order to get access to newer software. It's not the worst thing ever, but I wish I could have stuck with my old OS.

Apple OS X review by Alejandro C.
Alejandro C.

"Surprising experience for a Hardcore Windows User!"

What do you like best?

Yep, I said it. I've used Windows since version 3.1 was out. I actually switched from DOS to it a very long time ago and I haven't used a console for a long time now. Windows was my home and my office for a very long time, until last year when my W7 laptop crashed and once again, most of my non-backed-up info died with it. I just decided I would change and try to see what happened if I got a Mac, so I went out to my nearest Mac Store (I was visiting Austin back then) and I got me a Mac Book Air with Mountain Lion.

Boy was I surprised: I switched it on and it booted in like seconds. After that, setting it up was so easy and so fast that in less than 10 minutes I was up and going through my corporate webmail. After realizing I could use safari (I was worried it wouldn't run as IE did my whole life), I went straight ahead to try and find new updates for the system, and there were none. Now, that was surprising too, because every time you install windows you have to download like GBs of updates and patches.

Another thing to say about Mountain Lion is that Multimedia is really there. You may have to update one or two things, but running or making a video, using iTunes or your favorite photo editing software is really easy: it doesn't kill your OS like what it happens in windows. I actually used my Mack Book Air to run "heavy" software and the machine never heated up...which took me to a conclusion: the technology is better, but also, the software runs differently on Mountain Lion.

A great investment it was!

What do you dislike?

Every now and then things will crash and not know why. Other than that, it's been a great experience so far. Also shortcuts are kind of tricky when not used to them.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Windows users: don't be afraid, just go with it :-)

Apple OS X review by Michael S.
Michael S.

"Finally Apple Move Towards Organization"

What do you like best?

Aside from the typically shock and awe features like Airplay/Apple TV mode and other stuff. Apple added a feature which solves an issue of which many Apple fans were unaware. CLUTTER. I am a PC man, my wife an Apple fan. Some of her favorite things to do on our DELL is to download family photos and put each individual photo on the desktop along side her music files individually scattered about too. Every file doesn't need to be on the desktop. Of course Finder is a great way to look things up I might even say better that the start menu in Windows. Furthermore, Mountain Lion specific is the ability to add keywords to files which enhance categorization and search functionality.

What do you dislike?

Still I am not a fan of the large learning curves involved in using OSX. Every CIS class from High School through college teaches Windows based curriculum. I really am not the type of person who wants to relearn a system for less organization. Plus there is always the Apple restrictions and compatibility issues in spite of the reliability.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are an Apple fan who hasn't upgraded to mountain lion yet, you are a fool, bless your heart.

Apple OS X review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Ease of customization"

What do you like best?

Not Mavericks! Personalization of the shortcuts and workspaces was very easy. Low power consumption.

What do you dislike?

5 years old. Unable to sync certain application data to iCloud

Recommendations to others considering the product

Only useful on 5 year old Macs

Working with data visualization softwares such as Tableau

Apple OS X review by Callistus P.
Callistus P.

"The Best OS x so far for MacBooks"

What do you like best?

After installing this OS, it actually saved me HDD space and making my mac more responsive!

What do you dislike?

Sometimes connecting wirelessly to printers or music systems etc may take more than 1 try, but this could be an issue with my router as well. Its just that my PC works more efficiently.

Not solving a business problem, This is for personal use

Apple OS X review by User

"Overall nice"

What do you like best?

Easy to use interface and the mouse is very nice

What do you dislike?

It can be clunky sometimes and I have trouble switching screens sometimes.

I log in to my desktop using my mac

Apple OS X review by Ruban K.
Ruban K.

"Great upgrade for better battery"

What do you like best?

The iCloud and Appstore setup has been made easy and secure. You have full control over what apps you download and what files do you share. The notifications do not stay on screen for a long time and you can see the all the notifications with a swipe. FB and twitter sharing are called new features in this OS, and it follows you in all the places. The battery power is saved better using power nap

What do you dislike?

I often go offline when I lock the screen. I blame it on Powernap though.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Always upgrade to the latest version available. Apple OSX Mountain Lion is better than it's previous versions.

Apple OS X review by Administrator in Higher Education
Administrator in Higher Education

"Apple OS X"

What do you like best?

It is a solid platform that runs the development software i need

What do you dislike?

it doesn't run the windows software that I need so i have to use parallels

development for business processes

"OS x"

What do you like best?

ease of use, usability, fast, and user friendly

What do you dislike?

some times it doesn't work with certain softwares that are only available on windows

software development

Apple OS X review by Josh Harcus I.
Josh Harcus I.

"Love it!!!!"

What do you like best?

Very easy to use! Definitely an awesome upgrade from Apple.

What do you dislike?

There isn't really I dislike. I haven't been able to find anything that upset me about this platform.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely worth it.

All life on the computer.

Apple OS X review by Brittany H.
Brittany H.

"Avid PC User Gives In"

What do you like best?

This version of Apple software has by far been the most tempting for me to get an Apple laptop, which I've never been keen to do because I typically like laptops more geared for gaming.

What do you dislike?

Coming from a PC background, there are a lot of things to get used to, but it's more intuitive than previous versions--and much more organized.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend getting Mavericks when you can. This will be old, even though it's good.

Apple OS X review by Internal Consultant
Internal Consultant

"they kinda cooo"

What do you like best?

it's cooooo and also its also a good product

What do you dislike?

that sometimes it can be a very complicated app

the way it works sometimes

Apple OS X review by User

"best os ever"

What do you like best?

stable, problem free, all the features that i need

What do you dislike?

no longer supported by most 3rd party software developers

Recommendations to others considering the product

research financial markets using third party software and apps

Apple OS X review by Mitch M.
Mitch M.

"Best OS Available "

What do you like best?

Fully optimized for iCloud. Sleek notification center and messaging/facetime. Almost every screen has a share button to quickly email, message, or share on social media channels. On top of all that it's very secure and quick. I also love all of the gestures and touch optimizations.

What do you dislike?

Nothing

Recommendations to others considering the product

You are probably coming from a PC, if so I would not hesitate to make the leap. If you are on an older version of Apples OS then it's worth the money.

Apple OS X review by Christopher E.
Christopher E.

"Best Operating System"

What do you like best?

Incredibly easy to setup and start using, very minimal price to upgrade, excellent security (far superior to Windows), great ability to integrate with other Mac products, extremely easy to use and intuitive, graceful/elegant, crashes are EXTREMELY rare

What do you dislike?

Still some software compatibility issues with items that only work on PCs, very proprietary so some apps/software developments might be excluded

Recommendations to others considering the product

A very worthwhile upgrade of your Mac software and far superior to whatever the newest Windows is...

Learning about Apple OS X Mountain Lion?

* We monitor all Apple OS X Mountain Lion reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.