Apple OS X Mountain Lion

OS X Mountain Lion is Apple's best OS yet. Because all these new features add up to one amazing experience on your Mac. And every device you use.

Work for Apple OS X Mountain Lion?

Learning about Apple OS X?

Apple OS X Mountain Lion Reviews

Showing 76 Apple OS X reviews
Apple OS X review by Administrator in Higher Education
Administrator in Higher Education

Mountain Lion- good for its time

Validated Review
What do you like best?

When Mountain Lion came out it was a great update to the Mac OS X platform. It added features like notification center, airplay mirroring, messages which made a step to seamlessly go between your iOS devices and your mac. It added reminders, It added Gatekeeper, and Power nap which was a huge step in background updates and syncing, and security. It added dictation to the mac, which was fantastic, and provided a native solution without needing to spend money on third party software like dragon dictate.

What do you dislike?

Well not a lot of the features have been much approved upon, and it you are still running mountain lion on your mac but are syncing with your iOS devices that have updated to iOS 9 or 10 a lot father iCloud syncing features will not sync between the devices anymore to the mac. That would be the most frustrating thing about it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would say that this software is becoming out of date and would not suggest putting it on machines, it would also be hard to download considering the age of this software

It doesn't always keep an active directory account synced depending on password changing dates, and whether or not it is hard wired into the network,.

0 of 0 found this helpful.
Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Apple OS X Mountain Lion
Apple OS X review by <span>Phil H.</span>
Phil H.
Validated Review

Bringing the best of iOS to your Mac

Validated Review
What do you like best?

Mountain Lion is a big improvement over Lion, bringing some of the best features of iOS to your laptop/desktop. Having Notification Center on your laptop/desktop is huge, as is sharing to Facebook, Twitter, etc.

What do you dislike?

While iMessaging is good in theory it only works when messaging with someone else on an Apple device. Plus messages can end up out of order, and sometimes can show from a person's email address instead of their phone number.

Recommendations to others considering the product

In my opinion it's well worth the $20 upgrade from Lion

I use Mountain Lion on my laptop at home and I love having all my notes, reminders, calendars, etc. right in front of me when working.

0 of 0 found this helpful.

What Operating System solution do you use?

Apple OS X review by <span>Lee S.</span>
Lee S.
Validated Review
What do you like best?

OS X 10.8 provided me and my company a solution to remove clunky projectors and replace them with AppleTVs for projecting computer content wirelessly.

What do you dislike?

Utilizing this version of OS X for5 years I still can find no purpose for Game Center. Even those who find themselves as a casual gamer or hard-core gamer do not see the functionality of the "Game Center" application

Recommendations to others considering the product

With 10.11 (El Capitan) already made for public use, I don't recommend anyone utilizing 10.8 in the year 2016.

I've never realized the benefit of having a full keyboard to access my text messages from my computer, rather than my mobile device.

Apple OS X review by User in Computer Software

Better than Lion

Updated On
Validated Review
What do you like best?

Having a low end macbook that cannot be updated to Mavericks, Mountain Lion really does its job well. it is compatible with most software such as Microsoft Office, and running professional grade software pretty quick, namely the Adobe softwares.

Mostly it is the speed. Compared to Windows Vista I have previously used, this OS is definitely ten notches better. Also, the learning curve for this software is rather low, because it is designed to be easy to use.

What do you dislike?

The incompatibility with softwares such as the latest version of iMovie, Garageband and Skype proved to be inconvenient sometimes. However, it did not hinder my day to day use and still did the job for me.

Also, compared to the designs right now (flat) for Yosemite, the previous design seem uncomfortable for some of my peers while working with my computer. They are not familiar with my UI anymore, despite having used it for over 5 years (the design).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Although Mountain Lion is suitable for my use due to a low end macbook and limited funds, I definitely suggest one to buy a new macbook and update to its latest software. Many software are incompatible with Mountain Lion, especially the new ones such as the newest version of Skype.

Using Mountain Lion on a very old macbook is rather annoying sometimes, as the hardware is heavy compared to the new one, however, it can completely solve the business problem I have right now. Creating websites using open source software such as atom.io and brackets.io is rather easy and fast to use. Previewing using Chrome is easy as well. I think this OS is useful generally for software designer that has limited budget but want to appear professional, like me.

Apple OS X review by User in Computer Software

Dated but Strong Operating System

Validated Review
What do you like best?

OSX Mountain Lion was a great iteration in the releases of OSX. This is the "10.8" release which was actually released back in 2012. It was the successor to OSX Lion. Arguably, it was a refined release of Lion, fixing bugs, improving performance, and adding new features. One of the biggest features they added was a deeper integration into iCloud. If you are an Apple user with other Apple devices (like iPhones or iPads), this is a very handy feature.

What do you dislike?

It is now 2015 and Mountain Lion is a dated system as it's almost 3 years old now. Since then, Apple has released 3 major revisions of OSX. If you have older hardware (I'd say pre-2010), Mountain Lion might be the last and best operating system to run. The modern versions of OSX (El Capitan and Yosemite at the time of this posting), require a bit more power to run efficiently.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Unless you are running pretty old hardware, I would actually look into the newer releases of OSX. El Capitan is still fairly new at the time of this posting, so it might be best to start with Yosemite. It has over a year of bug fixes and improvements and is very solid. I'm currently running El Capitan on a desktop machine and Yosemite on a laptop. Both run very well. If you must use an older version of OSX, I wouldn't hesitate to grab Mountain Lion.

I personally use the OSX operating system to create iOS applications using Xcode. Xcode only runs on OSX, so it has been very helpful in accomplishing my professional goals. Today, I'm using the latest version of OSX (El Capitan) but I started off using Mountain Lion.

Apple OS X review by <span>Gilles S.</span>
Gilles S.

Simplicity in a Creative's World

Validated Review
What do you like best?

The ease of use, the way that Mac compliments user's and the way they navigate a UI. The dashboard function that almost makes the screen like a smart device. The connectivity to my phone and other data via the cloud. The capacity of the system to dual-boot when I need another OS.

What do you dislike?

the lack of programs that I could easily implement with .exe programs, and also the lack of functionality that makes me be able to do intense personalization with aesthetics. Also as a freelancer who also uses some small programs that aren't MAC compatable - it would be nice to have the capacity to easily go from PC/MAC on my computer without Apple being such a beauraucratic sneaky pete about it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just Upgrade as Apple encourages you too. It's just the nature of the beast that Apple retires old Operating systems to seem clunkier as they keep updating all of their items around it. Keep in mind this is just in the perspective of a lay user, and not an Apple snob.

Design problems and solutions. As a freelance illustrator, utilizing a system that provides -ease of access- to my commonly used programs, and also minimizes the impact program windows have, and also the ability to have adobe (Illustrator, indesign, photoshop) windows just go RIGHT on top of the desktop by default is real nice, and functional when using reference materials.

0 of 0 found this helpful.

Learning about Apple OS X Mountain Lion?

* We monitor all Apple OS X Mountain Lion reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.