Aptana Studio

Build web applications quickly and easily using the industry's leading web application IDE. Aptana Studio harnesses the flexibility of Eclipse and focuses it into a powerful web development engine.

Work for Aptana Studio?

Learning about Aptana Studio?

Aptana Studio Reviews

Showing 30 Aptana Studio reviews
Aptana Studio review by User in Program Development
User in Program Development

"Aptana Studio"

What do you like best?

Of the functionalities of the Professional version, the most interesting or interesting to justify your purchase is the remote management of projects, but Aptana Community itself has a tool for FTP connection to upload or download files, as well as the synchronization of our contents in local with those of the remote server. Also if we want to make a secure FTP connection with the FTPS and SFTP protocols, it will be necessary to buy the Pro version. The debug in Internet Explorer is also interesting, as not, but if we have the opportunity to do it in Firefox it may be enough to evaluate if we are interested in buying before making it.

A very useful feature is that it provides the possibility of associating a project with an FTP connection to upload and download files directly to a production server.

Additionally, it provides a Plugins administrator for PHP code support, Ruby on Rails, Subversion integration, CVS and Git, support for libraries such as Adobe Spry, Adobe AIR, Yahoo YUI

What do you dislike?

Despite being a very complete development environment, being based on Eclipse, this makes it a rather cumbersome IDE and applicable only to computers with certain features in their hardware.

It is paid. and you must buy the complete adobe suite, not sold separately.

To install plug-ins we have the Plug-in Manager, located at the bottom. I would like a simpler process.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It does not have functionalities nor supports.

It's limited, but it does not mean it's bad

Aptana is based on the well-known Eclipse development environment (IDE = Integrated Development Environment), also Open Source. But while Eclipse is focused on development for Java, Aptana Studio is a distribution focused on web development, with support for HTML, CSS and Javascript, as well as optionally other technologies mentioned as PHP, Adobe Air or Ruby on Rails. Aptana Studio is available as a standalone application or as a plug-in for Eclipse.

In a very general way, the choice of a development environment comes to have very personal nuances, since this is the tool that a web developer will use most of the time.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Aptana Studio
Aptana Studio review by <span>Ketan H.</span>
Ketan H.

"Aptana Studio Review"

What do you like best?

In Aptana Studio, the best things a liked are the way editor works. It is so easy for a developer to write a code. It also has such a well structured way of showing the folders and the pages. It also has a different color scheme to show .html files, .php, .js or .css. Managing multiple projects is very easy.

What do you dislike?

Things that I dislike in Aptana Studio is that, firstly the application takes a little more time than usual. The preference menu is a little difficult to navigate. It doesn’t have a preview option. It doesn’t have option to change the inline height. And the most important thing, it doesn’t even have option to keep back of the code. If Aptana Studio had an option to push changes on server, it would have been great. Installing Aptana Studio n your system is not easy sometimes. It keeps on crashing. It needs a 64-bit processor to install it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would like to recommend Aptana Studio of the user who are new into coding as it has the best editor i have ever seen. It is an open source IDE. It doesn't have the best UI but i still find it the best. Managing multiple projects is very easy so it would be very easy for a new user.

Previously I used to use Aptana Studio for coding website as well as web application in HTML, CSS, JS & PHP.

What Integrated Development Environment (IDE) solution do you use?

Aptana Studio review by <span>Max B.</span>
Max B.

"Handy Coding Workbench with IDE Interface Controls and Plugin Language Support"

What do you like best?

Multi-platform support Windows, Mac, Linux-

Plugin support to add programming languages-

Visual style editor for my optimum workflow-

What do you dislike?

I consider these cons relative to expectations for actual tools offered.

I find few cons, these comments are when used with Mac OSX Mavericks thru El Capitan

Color syntax highlighting often ends after 120 characters on a line

I wish I could select multiple lines and decrease tab indent the same way I can do that and increase it

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're like me and range between front-end and back-end, write server modules as well as application interfaces, and you need to test and debug every aspect of your system top to bottom, you perhaps won't find this does everything. Yet nothing can. So within reasonable expectations I consider this the perfect addition to my hand-picked suite of tools that allows me to enter any zone on the net, in the datacenter, and coding projects for clients.

I use more than 9 Programming Languages on a regular basis to serve my client network.

With Aptana Studio 3 I can easily manage most aspects of code creation and organize my work.

I have needed Lua support in addition to my other languages since 2014 and there is a plugin.

After achieving a workflow with the software that matches my coding style (autocomplete off, autoindent off, code hints off- ) I have achieved optimum satisfaction such that I spend time thinking about code rather than my IDE. To me, for this type of app, I find its value in relation to how well it disappears into the background so that I can focus purely on my work- creating software technologies.

Aptana Studio review by <span>Corey B.</span>
Corey B.

"Aptana usage"

What do you like best?

Easy to use interface, file structuring & snippets, Once a project is setup it makes it really easy to use to update live/dev sites already on a remote server.

What do you dislike?

Takes a bit to load up initially (could be my machine, getting a new one this week). Starting a project from scratch is a bit cumbersome, I often hand code a page and install into CMS, once it has been installed I use it for updates on live site updates

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is really easy to work in real time on a remote server. Interface is easy to understand. It isn't the most hip looking interface but it gets the job done.

Its quick and easy to use once you are up and running on a project. I mainly utilize it to create new websites for clients looking for a fresh responsive site. Wether it is ecommerce, a basic website or a web based app, we have utilized aptanastudio3 to accomplish it.

Aptana Studio review by <span>Chris A.</span>
Chris A.

"A reliable and versatile Eclipse based IDE, though out-dated now"

What do you like best?

I love how configurable Aptana Studio 3 is regarding UI style, how it lets you manage several projects and remote servers in tandem. The per-project Git integration is a bonus.

The deployment wizard is really handy for hooking a project up to a remote server in no time.

The built in console is excellent, and I use it primarily for Git, and navigating projects that contain multiple Git repositories.

The Open Resource tool (Ctrl + T) and Open PHP Element tool (Ctrl + Shift + T) are great for navigating files/classes across all projects.

The outline view is great for quickly navigating classes by their method names and allows quick identification of method visibility and scope.

Code hinting and navigation for simple to intermediate purposes works really well. Tool tips are shown for built in PHP functions, too, outlining their documentation.

It gives me everything I need to start working in a local development environment (aside from, of course, an HTTP server running PHP and a database server).

What do you dislike?

The preference menus inherited from Eclipse can be quite cumbersome to navigate.

It frequently forgets my preferences, such as PHP version for a project, or syntax highlighting theme for the entire IDE. I've gotten used to this but I shouldn't have to.

It often tries to re-index entire projects if they're introduced or change a lot, for searching and code-hinting purposes. This is slow and bloated in the sense that this interferes with UI responsiveness.

Code hinting and navigation through classes/methods in complex inheritance chains isn't up to scratch.

It hasn't been updated in years and offers no support for PHP versions beyond 5.4.

No line height configuration!

This IDE helps me work efficiently as a PHP Developer, and I'm very comfortable and familiar with its features (and its quirks).

I use it primarily to develop PHP web software or PHP libraries.

Aptana Studio review by <span>Andrew S.</span>
Andrew S.

"A solid tool for a full-stack web developer"

What do you like best?

As a front-end designer, Aptana attracts me as an ultimate development IDE with many built-in features. I find useful remote connection manager, terminal emulator, PHP and Java runtime, Git support. There are plenty of add-ons in the repository, and highly customizable workspace is a plus too.

What do you dislike?

Disappointing is resource consumption and performance. Application starts slowly and it is a pain to work with it on low-end Linux boxes (sometimes I have to).

There is also some stability issues when auto-updating from repository. Once after update to latest version, Aptana for Mac OS X started to crash on launch, and I had to roll back manually.

A number of essential add-ons are missing in the repo.

Recommendations to others considering the product

A perfect IDE for those, who's not chasing the latest trends in development.

I run a small web studio of 2 persons.

We tried various new and modern desktop code editors, developed in NodeJS, like Brackets and similar. But experienced serious stability problems with them. Returned back to Aptana because it just works.

Learning about Aptana Studio?

* We monitor all Aptana Studio reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.