Aptana Studio

Build web applications quickly and easily using the industry's leading web application IDE. Aptana Studio harnesses the flexibility of Eclipse and focuses it into a powerful web development engine.

Work for Aptana Studio?

Learning about Aptana Studio?

Aptana Studio Reviews

Showing 30 Aptana Studio reviews
Aptana Studio review by User in Program Development
User in Program Development

"Aptana Studio"

What do you like best?

Of the functionalities of the Professional version, the most interesting or interesting to justify your purchase is the remote management of projects, but Aptana Community itself has a tool for FTP connection to upload or download files, as well as the synchronization of our contents in local with those of the remote server. Also if we want to make a secure FTP connection with the FTPS and SFTP protocols, it will be necessary to buy the Pro version. The debug in Internet Explorer is also interesting, as not, but if we have the opportunity to do it in Firefox it may be enough to evaluate if we are interested in buying before making it.

A very useful feature is that it provides the possibility of associating a project with an FTP connection to upload and download files directly to a production server.

Additionally, it provides a Plugins administrator for PHP code support, Ruby on Rails, Subversion integration, CVS and Git, support for libraries such as Adobe Spry, Adobe AIR, Yahoo YUI

What do you dislike?

Despite being a very complete development environment, being based on Eclipse, this makes it a rather cumbersome IDE and applicable only to computers with certain features in their hardware.

It is paid. and you must buy the complete adobe suite, not sold separately.

To install plug-ins we have the Plug-in Manager, located at the bottom. I would like a simpler process.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It does not have functionalities nor supports.

It's limited, but it does not mean it's bad

Aptana is based on the well-known Eclipse development environment (IDE = Integrated Development Environment), also Open Source. But while Eclipse is focused on development for Java, Aptana Studio is a distribution focused on web development, with support for HTML, CSS and Javascript, as well as optionally other technologies mentioned as PHP, Adobe Air or Ruby on Rails. Aptana Studio is available as a standalone application or as a plug-in for Eclipse.

In a very general way, the choice of a development environment comes to have very personal nuances, since this is the tool that a web developer will use most of the time.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Aptana Studio
Aptana Studio review by Ketan H.
Ketan H.

"Aptana Studio Review"

What do you like best?

In Aptana Studio, the best things a liked are the way editor works. It is so easy for a developer to write a code. It also has such a well structured way of showing the folders and the pages. It also has a different color scheme to show .html files, .php, .js or .css. Managing multiple projects is very easy.

What do you dislike?

Things that I dislike in Aptana Studio is that, firstly the application takes a little more time than usual. The preference menu is a little difficult to navigate. It doesn’t have a preview option. It doesn’t have option to change the inline height. And the most important thing, it doesn’t even have option to keep back of the code. If Aptana Studio had an option to push changes on server, it would have been great. Installing Aptana Studio n your system is not easy sometimes. It keeps on crashing. It needs a 64-bit processor to install it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would like to recommend Aptana Studio of the user who are new into coding as it has the best editor i have ever seen. It is an open source IDE. It doesn't have the best UI but i still find it the best. Managing multiple projects is very easy so it would be very easy for a new user.

Previously I used to use Aptana Studio for coding website as well as web application in HTML, CSS, JS & PHP.

What Integrated Development Environment (IDE) solution do you use?

Aptana Studio review by Max B.
Max B.

"Handy Coding Workbench with IDE Interface Controls and Plugin Language Support"

What do you like best?

Multi-platform support Windows, Mac, Linux-

Plugin support to add programming languages-

Visual style editor for my optimum workflow-

What do you dislike?

I consider these cons relative to expectations for actual tools offered.

I find few cons, these comments are when used with Mac OSX Mavericks thru El Capitan

Color syntax highlighting often ends after 120 characters on a line

I wish I could select multiple lines and decrease tab indent the same way I can do that and increase it

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're like me and range between front-end and back-end, write server modules as well as application interfaces, and you need to test and debug every aspect of your system top to bottom, you perhaps won't find this does everything. Yet nothing can. So within reasonable expectations I consider this the perfect addition to my hand-picked suite of tools that allows me to enter any zone on the net, in the datacenter, and coding projects for clients.

I use more than 9 Programming Languages on a regular basis to serve my client network.

With Aptana Studio 3 I can easily manage most aspects of code creation and organize my work.

I have needed Lua support in addition to my other languages since 2014 and there is a plugin.

After achieving a workflow with the software that matches my coding style (autocomplete off, autoindent off, code hints off- ) I have achieved optimum satisfaction such that I spend time thinking about code rather than my IDE. To me, for this type of app, I find its value in relation to how well it disappears into the background so that I can focus purely on my work- creating software technologies.

Aptana Studio review by Corey B.
Corey B.

"Aptana usage"

What do you like best?

Easy to use interface, file structuring & snippets, Once a project is setup it makes it really easy to use to update live/dev sites already on a remote server.

What do you dislike?

Takes a bit to load up initially (could be my machine, getting a new one this week). Starting a project from scratch is a bit cumbersome, I often hand code a page and install into CMS, once it has been installed I use it for updates on live site updates

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is really easy to work in real time on a remote server. Interface is easy to understand. It isn't the most hip looking interface but it gets the job done.

Its quick and easy to use once you are up and running on a project. I mainly utilize it to create new websites for clients looking for a fresh responsive site. Wether it is ecommerce, a basic website or a web based app, we have utilized aptanastudio3 to accomplish it.

Aptana Studio review by Chris A.
Chris A.

"A reliable and versatile Eclipse based IDE, though out-dated now"

What do you like best?

I love how configurable Aptana Studio 3 is regarding UI style, how it lets you manage several projects and remote servers in tandem. The per-project Git integration is a bonus.

The deployment wizard is really handy for hooking a project up to a remote server in no time.

The built in console is excellent, and I use it primarily for Git, and navigating projects that contain multiple Git repositories.

The Open Resource tool (Ctrl + T) and Open PHP Element tool (Ctrl + Shift + T) are great for navigating files/classes across all projects.

The outline view is great for quickly navigating classes by their method names and allows quick identification of method visibility and scope.

Code hinting and navigation for simple to intermediate purposes works really well. Tool tips are shown for built in PHP functions, too, outlining their documentation.

It gives me everything I need to start working in a local development environment (aside from, of course, an HTTP server running PHP and a database server).

What do you dislike?

The preference menus inherited from Eclipse can be quite cumbersome to navigate.

It frequently forgets my preferences, such as PHP version for a project, or syntax highlighting theme for the entire IDE. I've gotten used to this but I shouldn't have to.

It often tries to re-index entire projects if they're introduced or change a lot, for searching and code-hinting purposes. This is slow and bloated in the sense that this interferes with UI responsiveness.

Code hinting and navigation through classes/methods in complex inheritance chains isn't up to scratch.

It hasn't been updated in years and offers no support for PHP versions beyond 5.4.

No line height configuration!

This IDE helps me work efficiently as a PHP Developer, and I'm very comfortable and familiar with its features (and its quirks).

I use it primarily to develop PHP web software or PHP libraries.

Aptana Studio review by Andrew S.
Andrew S.

"A solid tool for a full-stack web developer"

What do you like best?

As a front-end designer, Aptana attracts me as an ultimate development IDE with many built-in features. I find useful remote connection manager, terminal emulator, PHP and Java runtime, Git support. There are plenty of add-ons in the repository, and highly customizable workspace is a plus too.

What do you dislike?

Disappointing is resource consumption and performance. Application starts slowly and it is a pain to work with it on low-end Linux boxes (sometimes I have to).

There is also some stability issues when auto-updating from repository. Once after update to latest version, Aptana for Mac OS X started to crash on launch, and I had to roll back manually.

A number of essential add-ons are missing in the repo.

Recommendations to others considering the product

A perfect IDE for those, who's not chasing the latest trends in development.

I run a small web studio of 2 persons.

We tried various new and modern desktop code editors, developed in NodeJS, like Brackets and similar. But experienced serious stability problems with them. Returned back to Aptana because it just works.

Aptana Studio review by Zhou Z.
Zhou Z.

"Used to be my sole code editor but not any more..."

What do you like best?

I used primarily Aptana as my editor when I was a junior developer. I like the fact that it is very well maintained (as a free product) with all those extensions, easy-to-understand UI, syntax highlighting/formatting if the correct extensions are installed, and especially the built-in terminal (Mac version) which allows me to stay in Aptana in full screen mode for virtually anything. But by and by I found myself using it less and less because now what matters more to me is flexibility. However, I'm still using Aptana today for one thing and only one thing: on-server code editing. Because Aptana can connect via SSH and allows me to debug my code on a remote server. I'm still not finding another software that does this better than Aptana. But for daily development I'm using Sublime and Jetbrain products now.

What do you dislike?

What eventually turned me away from Aptana is it's heavy, inflexible, and some minor annoyances. I can't customize my coding environment to whatever I want like I do in Sublime. And I'm having the long-lasting problem in Mac (Yosemite then El Captain) that Aptana never quits itself properly. The software icon lingers in my dock and I have to force quit. This is a minor problem and probably has a fix. But it is the last straw that made me give up Aptana in my daily work.

Need a code editor that can edit files on the remote server like editing local files. Changes to the remote file can be immediately pushed to the server so I can debug a live site in real time.

Aptana Studio review by User in Internet

"Using Astana Studio as an IDE for Web Programming and more"

What do you like best?

I like the integrated development environment of Astana Studio. So far I use it for JavaScript, Python, Java and more. But you can for example program and debug your entire web application in the IDE. There are a lot of extensions/plug-ins available to support different technologies and programming languages. It has a lot of capabilities and flexibility. It is based on the Eclipse platform.

What do you dislike?

Setting up your environment is a bit convoluted as is configuring your workbench. At least if you are not a daily user. But that is what you get from being such a powerful and flexible IDE. Aptana was acquired by Appcelerator and is now seemingly only maintained/developed by the open source community... Good or bad...

Recommendations to others considering the product

Remember that it is no longer maintained by Aptana so if that not of any concern to you then sit go ahead. There seems to be an open source community continuing to work on it but I'm not sure.

An integrated development platform to replace Dreamweaver as it has superior support for debugging. In a way also hoping to standardize the number of software tools used in development.

Aptana Studio review by Robinson A.
Robinson A.

"I used Aptana on its early stages. Tried it a couple months ago, still the same feel."

What do you like best?

Aptana Studio can be very helpful when managing/developing a big project. It has many features that will help you through your development and deployment phase of the project. It has VCS from scratch so it will be easy to setup with your Git repositories. It's also has many customization options, you will be able to tweak it at your will.

What do you dislike?

It is still the same code editor from 2008. They haven't improved a thing besides VCS implementations. The GUI can be sort of overwhelming at the point where you might even close it and look out for another option.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're looking for some IDE for free to develop a huge project, Aptana might fulfill your needs. It's always good to get to know many development tools.

When i was a Junior Frontend developer i used Aptana a lot when managing huge projects. It did help because no other editor was able to do such thing, at least for free. Also, being an open source tool, it made me happy that i could help them out spreading out the word and letting people know their software.

Aptana Studio review by Abraham S.
Abraham S.

"Not bad, for Eclipse."

What do you like best?

Aptana is a proper alternative to those other all-in-one web development IDEs. I prefer open source software when I can help it, and Aptana made it easy. Since it is based on Eclipse, it is easy to upgrade Aptana Studio with other functionality that's already available to Eclipse.

What do you dislike?

It is a little clunky, but that seems to be the nature of Eclipse. Eclipse being a Java based power IDE does provide extensibility and good portability, but it can also lend to instabilities.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Aptana is an all around great, open source IDE. It isn't quite as pleasing to the eye as Adobe's Brackets or similar, but it is mature and reliable. It is definitely worth a look.

I use Aptana to do web development related work, which is precisely what it is designed for. Occasionally, I'll want another feature that might not quite fit the scope of their project. Say, for instance, that I also want to develop parts of these sites in Go. Since it is based on Eclipse, I can easily add that functionality.

Aptana Studio review by René M.
René M.

"A pretty decent IDE for web development."

What do you like best?

The thing I like the most is its versatility to include context help and support for various languages. All the help dialogs appear quickly without taking any additional time to load like many other IDEs.

I also like that it doesn't requires much system resources so I can be fully capable of having other tools open to do multiple tasks related to the project like the image editor, video editor, or an FTP client without compromising the stability and speed of my system.

What do you dislike?

The installation process is totally tedious and unacceptable! The problem is that as they have the god/promising/greedy intention to cover several languages and technologies the installation phase encounters this situations:

- Besides of the 64-bit support. It requires that you have previously installed JRE 32-bit or the program just won't start.

- The installer requires node.js and if it's not installed it will try to downloaded itself but it will always fail.

I got to solve these issues by googling the errors because the installer's messages aren't clear enough.

My biggest recommendation is to offer different types of installers sorted into bundles that suit the needs and scenarios of all users (just like oracle does on java installers) because you can be sure that most users will just let go and go for another IDE.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Install node.js and JRE 32-bits before installing Aptana. Look for IDEs comparisons to identify the right tool for you.

I'm currently reviewing some projects and polishing another one of my own, I really like its speed and capability to manage multiple projects with ease.

Aptana Studio review by Jeremy H.
Jeremy H.

"My favorite free IDE that is also open source"

What do you like best?

What I like most about Aptana is that it can handle everything I need an IDE to handle and it doesn't cost a thing... I don't think there's even any upsell.

I really enjoy the ability to drag in files for ftp uploading vs the inconvenience of navigating to the files on my desktop.

What do you dislike?

I use both Windows & Mac and Aptana runs far better on Windows, but a bit more sluggish on Mac (especially when opening folders in FTP). I can verify this isn't an internet connection speed issue too.

I've had occasional crashes and the UI is not very intuitive. It's not uncommon for me to have to do Google searches to figure things out, but since so many others have the same problem the answers are usually easy to find.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have a high quality IDE that you already use, and likely pay for, then Aptana is probably not something you're going to want to switch to. However, if you don't have the budget for an IDE or simply don't want to spend money on one, well Aptana may work out great for you... especially if your biggest needs is moving local files onto a server via FTP.

Aptana helps me code and upload my changes via ftp very quickly and efficiently in an environment that is pleasing on the eyes and enjoyable a majority of the time.

Aptana Studio review by M. Serhat D.
M. Serhat D.

"Professional IDE for Serious Developers"

What do you like best?

Aptana is a complete professional IDE which supports vast majority of popular programming languages. Especially I really like web programming support. It covers HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript, Ruby on Rails, PHP and Python. Git integration is a critical feature for developers and Aptana totally provides it. Built-in terminal ise a big plus when compared to other text-editor like IDEs. Aptana is easy to customize, you can simply set your preferences and design the interface according to your needs. Deployment wizard is my favorite feature of Aptana.

What do you dislike?

Aptana is a complete IDE, installer and the software itself requires too much space on you disk. Also it consumes more RAM space when compared to other similar IDEs. Aptana may not be the best option for old computers, because system requirements are high. Finally, Aptana 3 installer crashing on Windows 10/64bit sometimes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for a complete IDE which organizes your workspace with amazing features, Aptana is for you. After switching to Aptana, you won't be disctracted with seperate terminal windows, Aptane keeps all of them togetger for you. Especially for Ruby and Ruby on Rails developers, Aptana is one of the best options.

I'm using Aptana 3 as a Ruby on Rails developer without any issues. Aptana saves my time and organizes my development environment in a single windows. Aptana really helps me during the development with it's amazing features like git integration, deployment wizard, capristano support, integrated debugger and built-in terminal.

Aptana Studio review by Dai Fu Jordon C.
Dai Fu Jordon C.

"Aptana Studio is good for my needs in Python and PHP"

What do you like best?

For the price (free), Aptana Studio is a good current IDE. I have tried Eclipse and found that I liked Aptana better. Compiling and running code is simple and relatively quick.

What do you dislike?

The project explorer pane can be finicky at times, displaying folders can be a pain. The default themes aren't very good, the dark theme especially isn't good enough for my needs

Recommendations to others considering the product

Before spending the money on Jetbrains, or using the old but functional Eclipse, give Aptana a try, it might suit your needs.

Aptana is what I am using for my Python and PHP coding needs. The hardcore coders may use notepad or notepad++ but I need my IDE, and the code completion makes my quality of life much better.

Aptana Studio review by Consultant in Higher Education
Consultant in Higher Education

"The best, most complete, file editor (IDE) I could find for OS X!"

What do you like best?

Aptana Studio is all I could hope for in a file editor (IDE).

Working in the Web development industry, what we strive to find everyday is a software that can offer everything in one single software: built-in FTP with many supported protocols, syntax highlighting, code assist, integrated debugger, git integration and many more...

I've used many other similar software, but none of which is offering the same features (or comparable) like Aptana Studio does.

What do you dislike?

The software seems to be hogging a lot of memory (on my MacBook Pro) while loading.

Note that it is faster on my iMac with an SSD drive, but this is minimal compared to what it offers!

Once the application is loaded, the software is working fine.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Aptana is not easy on HDD space and memory usage, but once it's loaded it works like a charm.

If you have an older computer, you might want to upgrade (trust me, it's worth it) or consider another software.

The major problem I am solving by using Aptana Studio is efficiency.

Everything I need to use on a daily basis, concentrated in one single software, has saved me a lot of time.

Going back and forth between many windows was also a source of mis-manipulation which sometimes caused major problems (like overwriting live websites).

Aptana Studio review by Gabriel C.
Gabriel C.

"Your open source swiss blade... and probably that's an understatement!"

What do you like best?

I like the flexibility and choices: It comes in both a Stand-alone Version and as an Eclipse Plug-in... I have them both... I have the Stand-alone in my desktop and the Eclipse Plug-in in my aging laptop. On top of that, both editions are available for the Mac OS X, Windows (x86 - x64), and Linux.

I like that it has Git baked inside of it, and it uses it to update our scripting environment.

I also like that It allows me to do my Ruby on Rails development, even through a separate IDE (Aptana RADRails)

I like its compatibility with any major version control products, including Git, Subversion, Mercurial, CVS, and Perforce.

But what I really love, and the reason I use it, is the intellisense integration that allows me to simplify my HTML5 work.

What do you dislike?

It's never gonna be your go-to IDE because even though is a complete tool in its own right, it lacks some depth in the PHP and JS departments.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Aptana combines the slickness of an off-the-shelf tool with the benefits of open source, that's pretty much the best of both worlds when it come to an IDE.

Also, you should give it a try if you are tired of your same old IDE.

But you'll feel at home if you come from Eclipse.

Don't expect too much of it if you decide to use it on your JS and PHP projects.

It's on my top 5 IDE and is my go-to solution for working on my HTML5 related projects.

Aptana Studio review by Naser A.
Naser A.

"Super IDE for front-end web application and mobile responsive development"

What do you like best?

Aptana works without any issues in Apple OS X and Microsoft Windows 8.1 operating system. It provides out of the box an internal server that I can test and run my development projects with Safari, Chrome, Firefox and internet explorer.

Aptana gives me all the templates for HTML5, CSS3 and JavaScript configuration for my projects. I do not need to convert any of my projects from Apple OS X to Windows 8.1 , I just copy the project folder from one operating system to a new operating system environment just in few seconds. I have been able to run all major plugins with Aptana and that is like CoffeeScript, jQuery, LESS, SASS and even Angularjs plugins. I can also configure various W3C validators, markups and enable error checking on JavaScript templates. Of course, there are lot more functionalities that Aptana provides for day to day development such as even Ruby.

What do you dislike?

Well, I am happy with what Aptana is providing for my project development and I do not have a show stopper issues with it at this time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

ability to add my host web server is nice to have. Thanks

Front-end web applications development for my clients. It is helping me to quickly develop a prototype idea for my customers. Also, showing how a web applications look in various browsers like Chrome, Firefox, Safari and various version of Internet Explorer.

Aptana Studio review by Eric A.
Eric A.

"A Very Nice, Free IDE for Web Development"

What do you like best?

If you have any experience using Eclipse at all, or are a poor college student, give Aptana a whirl for your web development purposes. You won't be disappointed.

It has really slick intellisense built in for all the major web languages nowadays, especially front-end languages - looking at you JS. I have also heard really good things about Aptana and RoR, but I can't speak on that point for myself.

It's very easy to set up version control and deploy using a variety of products.

What do you dislike?

Takes a little while to start up sometimes, but I can only say that as a Windows user. Uses quite a bit of memory. It does have an older look compared to a lot of the newer text editors out there. Other than those, nothing I really dislike about it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be open to the possibility of using a favorite text editor in combination with Aptana. This way you get the best of both worlds.

I have used it successfully in conjunction with WordPress development - typical HTML, CSS, PHP fun house.

One thing that some people - including myself - have done, is coding in a different text editor, and then organizing everything via Aptana. This approach works well if you have a favorite, lightning fast editor, but still want the power of an IDE on your side. It's a neat combination.

Aptana Studio review by John M.
John M.

"I'm very pleased with Aptana Studio as my IDE"

What do you like best?

I program in a variety of different languages.. HTML, JavaScript, Python, PHP, etc. I like the fact that Aptana Studio cleanly handles all of these languages and more. The program does a great job of organizing/structuring the code as I write it, as well as making the appropriate function suggestions. I can't believe that a software package of this quality is open source!

What do you dislike?

When I first started using Aptana, I had a little more difficulty setting up the framework for a project than I would have with other programs like Dreamweaver. Other IDEs often have a wider variety of software/coding suggestions than Aptana does, as well.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Because it's an open source IDE, there isn't much risk to giving it a try. It's easy to setup and get started, and if for some reason it doesn't meet your needs you won't be out anything.

I use Aptana to manage the code for several different software projects I'm working on. This software makes it easy to visualize the structure of my projects, and I enjoy being able to share resources between the projects I am currently working on.

Aptana Studio review by James P.
James P.

"Aptana is the IDE to use for beginners to advanced developers - "

What do you like best?

The feature that kept me on Aptana the longest (I now use vim, which I would not recommend to anyone - and damn this survey for making me lie despite my extensive experience with Aptana - ) was the formatter.

With a simple, CTRL+Shift+F - your code is perfectly indented, formatted - and mostly PSR compliant (it is good for Ruby, also -)

The customization surrounding the syntax highlighting was also wonderful - and Auto-Upload is great, as well.

I have converted many DreamWeaver users to this - and they tell me that while they can easily afford DW - they prefer Aptana for various reasons (which I couldn't recount)

A feature I still have not been able to replicate flawlessly in my new IDE of choice is the documentation tooltips -

If you double-click on any given function, you immediately get the documentation for it -

In fact, simply defining a function, and putting the proper /** docblock with @specs */ before it would also give you access to whatever you wrote in your @docblock -

Git integration - the git-bash that comes with it - are also wonderful, highly useful features -

The Outline feature also proved plenty handy, but the right folding mechanism and proper search-hotkeys make this a feature that I don't miss.

All in all - Aptana is Eclipse -

So, if you learn to use Aptana - you're learning to use Eclipse - and this can prepare you for jumping to another Eclipse-based IDE in the future -

So! When you move to a new language, you have familiar tools that follow ! This greatly aids with the learning curve of a new language - - - -

What do you dislike?

The fact that it is powered by Java is the worst.

I never had any problems with Aptana - I only ever had problems with Java - (which, of course, can be fixed by tweaking the right .ini file - but who has time for that !?)

Otherwise, some of the other features are a bit less intuitive - such as connecting the thing to xdebug - and sometimes, it can be a pain to add the remote host -

(Imagine you have multiple projects on the same server, but you have to reconfigure the remote host in the same way for each project - even though it should be a simple drop-down menu with an input for path)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just do it. If you need to ween yourself off of something else, make a plan where you use Aptana X hours a day - and increase X slowly over time -

Simple.

Aptana is free -

Aptana is better than DW -

We saved money - we saved time in debugging -

And our code looked clean and pristine (and mostly consistent amongst teammates) because of the formatter -

Aptana Studio review by Jake E.
Jake E.

"Excellent HTML editor/designer"

What do you like best?

The intellisense feature is, in my opinion, the best by far. If I can't remember something all I need to do is start with a < and check the options.

What do you dislike?

The Javascript debugging feature is not up to snuff, so I typically use a different program for that.

I am currently still in school for web development/software programming so I have not yet employed this in the business world beyond some freelance web design.

Aptana Studio review by Administrator in Automotive
Administrator in Automotive

"This is what we need for HTML-5 IDEs"

What do you like best?

When editing HTML files in real time, Code Assist not only displays a list of matching tags, but it also includes graphical information about the level of support for each element in the major web browsers..Also the interactive integrated debugger is an awesome feature

What do you dislike?

At times, it is very slow and fails to respond to commands that I type in. Maybe it needs an update from the supplier or the manufacturer.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Please use this. It is a good software with a lot of potential

Aptana Studio supports PHP, Ruby, Rails, .Net, Titanium, PyDev(Python, Jython, Iron Python), static/dynamic Web sites, and more which is very useful for the business problems to solve at work, It is fast and reliable compared to other softwares

Aptana Studio review by Fawzi B.
Fawzi B.

"must app for your jave EE"

What do you like best?

this is a must app if you develop web applications. seemingly integrates with eclipse. totally worth it

What do you dislike?

eclipse is a big pile of mess. your application hangs on a thread. this is not aptana problem but rather eclipse.

building java web applications

Aptana Studio review by Samir S.
Samir S.

"Better IDE for Hybrid Mobile and Web App Development"

What do you like best?

-Provides almost native look and feel for app

-No any extra effort to add third party plugins

-Good configurable options for IDE and project

What do you dislike?

-There is no any disliked features

-Only thing is need to optimise to use in average system configuration

-Used for Hybrid Mobile Apps development

Aptana Studio review by User in Mechanical or Industrial Engineering
User in Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

"Great IDE for building web applications."

What do you like best?

There's many things that I like about Aptana Studio - I like that I can run individual projects, I can use many programming languages that I can and there's no limit to it. Also, it has a file system setup that it easily to find.

What do you dislike?

I think that thing that need prove at is the work-space and the preference area too.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Yes very highly recommended.

I'm using it to build web application and it has been great.

Aptana Studio review by User in Computer Software

"Pretty nice coding solution for Windows"

What do you like best?

This was really easy to get started with. Nice features for the time it was developed. Pretty stable without crashing.

What do you dislike?

Doesn't really compare to what Visual Studio can do. Not a huge community behind it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Nice free solution for building websites. Maybe not the best compared to other better supported editors like VS Code

Coding websites and WordPress themes. Benefits are a nice editor for Windows that is free and reliable.

Aptana Studio review by User in Higher Education

"Great Open Source Editor for Web Developers"

What do you like best?

Aptana allows to quickly build web apps. I liked the code assist and Git integration feature which helped me to deploy my application seamlessly.

What do you dislike?

Aptana Studio 2 had some problems which are now overcome in Studio 3 so make sure you use the latest version of Aptana

Use it for Web application development. Helps to quickly build applications seamlessly.

Aptana Studio review by Conley S.
Conley S.

"Aptana Studio Free Solid IDE"

What do you like best?

Free full-featured IDE with built-in CLI, syntax highlighting, code hint completion, project and file opening not too complicated.

What do you dislike?

Dependency on a particular version of JDK on Mac OS X, quirkiness/difficulty adding themes, memory hog.

Recommendations to others considering the product

On Mac, careful which JDK version you're running.

Front-end web development. Love the integrations, including dust, LESS and other syntax plugins.

Aptana Studio review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Python with Aptana Studio"

What do you like best?

It can be used with a variety of programming languages. I use it for Python.

What do you dislike?

Its a useful tool, so its nothing that I don't like. Although it has lot of other competitors too.

I was working on Packet Traffic Analyzer and load balancer academic project.

Aptana Studio review by User in Internet

"Great alternative to dreamweaver"

What do you like best?

I like the code style, integrated debugger, show quick diff, code-assist, syntax highlighting

What do you dislike?

It crash at time on windows not very often

Recommendations to others considering the product

A better ide compared to tools like sublime

Project managment

Learning about Aptana Studio?

* We monitor all Aptana Studio reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.