Argos

Evisions Argos is designed to deliver insights needed in order to make timely, better-informed decisions.

Work for Argos?

Learning about Argos?

Compare Argos to Similar Solutions

Argos Reviews

Ask Argos a Question
Showing 11 Argos reviews
Argos review by Nate P.
Nate P.

"A uniquely well-made tool that does exactly what you'd expect."

What do you like best?

The customizability of the reports, and the fact that the limits are your own capabilities with SQL and your imaginative data collection.

What do you dislike?

This is not a program for beginners. There is no learning curve - you can either use it, or you can't. Anyone can run reports, but extracting data from your series of comma separated volumes is tricky at best if you have limited SQL knowledge.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you have a quality IT department - this is not something you can google solutions to. You need someone who understands sequenced query language (SQL) prior to implementation, or this tool will be useless. As soon as you have a report writer, the possibilities are only limited by the data you collect and the imagination of your report writer.

Argos drives our data-based problem solving. Everything from customer needs to retention efforts flows through the data that argos can provide.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Argos
Administrator in Higher Education

"A sub-par solution for displaying or modifying info from your database"

What do you like best?

Creating data blocks takes some time. After the learning curve, you can create a template and go off of that. We have a lot of people on campus who need to query the database with certain parameters. This is a great tool for that. You can create nice menus and navigate through your forms with buttons.

What do you dislike?

Manual SQL is horrible on this. It complains about every little thing you do. It even gives an error message stating ".... Although this may be normal SQL syntax, you can't do that here" (paraphrasing obviously). Also I can never consistently get insert, delete, update statements to execute from a button click. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. This tool is very frustrating to use as a programmer.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I'd consider other solutions. I heard once at a conference, that Argos' competitors don't even consider them to be in competition with them. There is probably a lot better software out there that can do a lot more than Argos can. But hey, I wasn't there when we decided to purchase the product. I only use it. But from the small amount of time I use it, I don't like it.

For me, it's causing more problems than it's solving. It's a real headache sometimes to get SQL to compile using this tool.

What Business Intelligence Platforms solution do you use?

Administrator in Higher Education

"Nice reporting tool for Non-Programmers"

What do you like best?

It has the ability to create nice looking reports, relatively quickly. It is able to join, more commonly used, tables automatically.

What do you dislike?

It is not designed for advanced queries. It has the capability to write your own sql, but it would be better to write sql in another environment and then paste it in the Argos free type field.

Recommendations to others considering the product

if you need a reporting tool, this is a good reporting tool. There are some bugs found occasionally, but they are addressed and updates are released regularly. Support is prompt and knowledgeable. This is not designed for developers and the like. This is more for non-technical end users that need to be able to create reports. .

We've been able to create many different reports and dashboards that improve our business process and decision making abilities. It has scheduling, email functionality, and can create .pdf and .csv files.

Argos review by User in Translation and Localization
User in Translation and Localization

"Very useful tool, but can be a bit frustrating sometimes!"

What do you like best?

Argos is an extremely handy tool to have access to. It pulls information real-time from our college's student information system, and it has a LOT of flexibility in the way that you can set up and run reports to meet your statistical needs.

What do you dislike?

I am a second-level user in the fact that I can run reports, but I do not have administrative access to the software. For me, it tends to get a bit frustrating when I want more advanced information and I have to get a response from elsewhere in the organization to create a report that fits my needs. I don't think this software is particularly intuitive either. I am really adept at learning software, so I caught on quickly, but I often find myself training other people in our office, especially at ways to manipulate the reports to generate the information that you want. It definitely takes a little bit of time and "doing" to learn how to use it. It also sometimes takes a few tries to find and generate things in a format that works well!

Recommendations to others considering the product

I can't really speak to recommendations for Argos or other similar reporting softwares as I was a second level user and had no other options! But, if you are considering whether or not Argos is worth it, I would highly recommend. It has plenty of reporting and statistical options. And they seem to have wonderful customer service that would take the time to make sure that you were getting what you need out of the software!

This software provides real-time access to data and statistics and provides a lot of flexibility in reporting options, so that you can get the information in a format that works for your needs!

Argos review by User in Higher Education

"Argos Review"

What do you like best?

When I utilized Argos, I was working in student affairs at Ball State University. I was working along side an academic advisor, and we used Argos to take data from our serve to have on file for the specific students that we served to know their information to better serve them. I also utilized the system to create queries and perform other data collecting tasks in the Office of Institutional Effectiveness at Ball State as well. The system made it very easy to analyze data, and it was especially useful when you needed to connect different data sets by similar data points.

What do you dislike?

There was nothing that I disliked about the product after I got over the hump of learning the language.

Recommendations to others considering the product

When using Argos, there might be a video that we watch (training) in order to understand its full functionality. It might also be useful to discuss the different nuances, such as how to properly connect data, how Argos can help your team make data decisions, etc... I know that Argos uses a SQL type data coding language as well, so maybe providing more training about how this language works would be nice. Finally, it might be helpful for similar Argos users is there was a community of like data uses (blog of sorts, or a community forum) where people can say they used Argos to solve this problem, or help answer this question for their business, so other users can have a template of what to do and what the next steps in the process should be.

The business problems we solved in both offices was connecting data that came from two separate files to make decisions concerning student affairs, or even adhering to state/federal requirements for a university.

Administrator in Higher Education

"Works well for funky techs but our IT developers dislike."

What do you like best?

I like the fact that you can opt not to use the query builder tool and just paste your SQL into a text box in Argos. This allows you to develop a report fairly quickly. Like ability to create different format of reports from one data black. PDF, CSV, etc

What do you dislike?

Some features of Oracle SQL do not work in Argos. It tends to be a little picky about formatting sometimes.

Layout tools a little cumbersome.

Was originally purchased to allow each department to develop their own reports however we have had slow adoption. To be fair we contribute that to some lack of support from administration and not the product, however you do need a little technical skill to learn this tool quickly.

Argos review by Industry Analyst / Tech Writer in Higher Education
Industry Analyst / Tech Writer in Higher Education

"Argos Reporting"

What do you like best?

Argos is good for reporting. Allowing end users to build their own output based off a SQL report is great. We have automated Admission Letters sent to students by using Argos scheduler.

What do you dislike?

One thing I dislike about Argos is using a banned report. It was a struggle to get everything lined up exactly on one page.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The Argos community is a great tool to use to see what others users are doing with Argos. It allows users to upload their datablock to customize for your industry.

We are using Argos as a reporting tool for end users to gather information out of our database. The ability to export as a csv or banned report gives the end users options on their output.

Argos review by Stanley J.
Stanley J.

"Argos is good, but not the best tool for Data Visualization."

What do you like best?

The ability to directly use Sql within platform is useful. Ease of building complex tables is also nice.

What do you dislike?

Graphs and charts are very mediocre. Some of the customization options are useless.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Good for simple reporting but for advanced analytics and data visualizations it is lacking

Creating reports. Tried to use it for advanced data visualizations to help with decision making at our University.

Argos review by Stephanie C.
Stephanie C.

"Not too fancy or complicated; It gets the job done. "

What do you like best?

Interface has a very traditional database feel and that makes it easy to work between platforms.

What do you dislike?

I am not a huge fan of the graphics. The reports are frankly straight from a 1990s computer monitor. We had to implement another software for visualization. Export controls are not intuitive.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is similar to COGNOS.

We ise the software in traditional ways. We do program review and complete the NCCBP using OLAPs. The report writers are able to develop, schedule, and export reports used for course evaluations and academic assessment. Many departments are able to run reports.

Administrator in Higher Education

"A tool for those who can't code"

What do you like best?

It allows end users to create their own reports and dashboards.

What do you dislike?

When the end users refuse to learn how to use the product (which most do) and then the developers on site have to use it since it was paid for by the organization.

The need for reports to be ran on demand by end users.

Argos review by User in Higher Education

"We use Argos to track our financial transactions"

What do you like best?

Everyone in the office can share the login and hce access to same info

What do you dislike?

We do not have full access to purchases made same day.

We use it to pull financial reports

Learning about Argos?

* We monitor all Argos reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.

Compare Argos to Similar Solutions