Articulate Storyline

Articulate Storyline is designed for people who want to easily create interactive e-learning courses and content. Only Articulate Storyline has slide layers, triggers, and states—the features that let you create any type of interactivity you can imagine without programming.

Work for Articulate Storyline?
Knovio 2x

Learning about Articulate Storyline?

Articulate Storyline Reviews

Ask Articulate Storyline a Question
Showing 209 Articulate Storyline reviews
Articulate Storyline review by <span>Timothy A.</span>
Timothy A.

Close to Perfect Rapid Development Authoring Tool

What do you like best?

Quick, intuitive app that is great for developing a course quickly and efficiently. After watching the YouTube videos to get you started, you should have a course done in a decent amount of time. Branching is easy to create and track. Included assets, such as the built in templates and characters help the user complete a professional looking course. UPDATE: It can now publish to MP4! YES!

What do you dislike?

Eventually, I would like to see a browser-based version of this tool, so, Chromebooks could be used to create eLearning courses. And a more affordable version for individuals working on contracts.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get the latest version of Articulate Storyline, in the 360 package. It will allow you to share content in a library and also allow others to easily review your course.

This authoring tool allows me to create dynamic eLearning courses quickly but also allows me to create large, project managed courses with the same quality as some graphically designed and coded courses.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Articulate Storyline
Articulate Storyline review by <span>Eric L.</span>
Eric L.

Not perfect but still the best on the market for course design

What do you like best?

The software is super easy to use, though it does have a slight learning curve. It's not too different from Powerpoint. My absolute favorite thing about it however is the content library. There's so much to choose from between high res photos, characters in different poses, and customizable illustrations. And it's all royalty free as long as you have the subscription.

What do you dislike?

It's not the easiest to get used to. It's like using Powerpoint but like a dumbed down and confused version of Powerpoint. For as much as you get with graphical content, Text editing capabilities are severely lacking. Simple text drop shadows or other word art capabilities are inexplicably missing, which is odd given how graphical the rest of the software is.

Recommendations to others considering the product

We really haven't come across any better software for course design, and they're constantly making updates to it so it will only get better as well.

My company is building a best practices course for our clients, so I can't really disclose much. The aim is for this to directly affect our customer engagement and profit-making though.

What Course Authoring solution do you use?

Articulate Storyline review by <span>Alejandra A.</span>
Alejandra A.

Great for designing interactive learning resources

What do you like best?

It has many options to help you create engaging interactions (triggers, states, layers). When you master this tool you can create amazing learning experiences for your learners.

What do you dislike?

If your working with Moodle you will face some challenges when register the progress of a course. It's something Articulate should improve, since Moodle is the most popular LMS and there are other tools that work smoothly with it. I was able to solve this issue just after spend a lot of time searching in forums and "cheating" the tool so the progress were registered correctly, but it should not work this way.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For most e-Learning developers this tool will meet their needs. But if you need a seamless integration with Moodle and a fully adaptive design, I'd be make to compare it with other tools.

I work designing e-Learning courses, some of them are fully developed using Articulate Storyline while in other cases, specific interactions are created with this tool (for instance, formative assessments in MOOC). Since Storyline has a perpetuate license, it's a great cost-effective option. If you also need stock of images, hundreds of templates and being more flexible with the users who need the license they have an option based on annual subscription (Articulate Rise) which is also a great option.

Articulate Storyline review by <span>Daniel K.</span>
Daniel K.

The Best E-Learning Creation Tool on the Market

What do you like best?

One of my all-time favourite features is being able to animate individual objects of a group, and even still being able to animate the group itself!

But more generally, all the features come together very well to form what I know for a fact is hands down the best tool to create online e-learning content in HTML5 or *gasp* flash... It provides so many options and customizations that it will be guaranteed to work for your business needs.

Compared to the likes of Adobe Captivate, which has been around much longer, Articulate Storyline is already years ahead of Adobe. I was forced to use Captivate for a few months before switching to Articulate, so I can tell you first hand how terrible it was to work with Captivate, and how terrible their support team was.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that this is a Windows only application. I strongly hope they bring it to macOS in the future, as this is where all the creatives live. I am forced to use this application in a VM on my Mac, and the performance is hindered as a result.

I dislike not being able to move objects with the cursors pixel-by-pixel. I should be able to move by 10 pixels if I hold shift. This is a fairly common standard when it comes to applications like these, and it's unfortunate that Articulate doesn't support this interaction. I am forced to bring up the size/positioning window every time I want something to be pixel-perfect aligned.

The alignment guides are not very snappy, and somewhat difficult/annoying to use.

The animations are transitions are limited/archaic.

Generally, I would recommend looking to Keynote for inspiration when it comes to interacting with objects on slides, as well as animations. Keynote is years ahead of any type of slide creation tool I've ever used, and it would be really nice to see more of these types of features built-in to Articulate in the future.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There are SOME (very few) features in Adobe Captivate that aren not available in Articulate. However, there are so many more features in Articulate that are not available in Captivate that make the switch very worthwhile. Not to mention the ease of use, better support, and vision for the future of Articulate that this company has.

We are converting all of our old e-learning courses from flash to HTML5. The major benefit that Articulate offers us is in creating rich content that still somehow manages to stay low on file size once exported.

Articulate Storyline review by <span>Rebecca M.</span>
Rebecca M.

Robust eCourse Authoring Tool, Could Use Upgrade

What do you like best?

With minimal training, I was able to grasp the basics of Storyline, enough to edit most aspects of the eCourses my company obtains from outside vendors. It is fairly intuitive for the most part, with a clean interface.

What do you dislike?

There are some issues I cannot fix in Storyline 2, for which I require an update to Storyline 360. This mostly has to do with being able to choose whether Flash or HTML takes precedence in the publish settings. Publishing can also be pretty slow, and large courses take up a lot of system resources and can slow down your machine considerably if you don't have a newer one.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would definitely recommend using Articulate 360 over Articulate Storyline 2 or any other version of Storyline. The more robust features of the 360 version seem worth it.

In addition to being a Digital Content Manager I am also the LMS Administrator for my company, so I needed to be able to make edits to our eCourses that we obtain from external vendors. I also upload the published eCourse files to our LMS. Having access to this software has enabled me to manage this content more easily without having to ask our eCourse vendors for assistance.

Articulate Storyline review by <span>Keari E.</span>
Keari E.

One of the best tools for creating e-learning (SL360)

What do you like best?

I like that you make a great looking e-learning in a minimal amount of time. I love that you can do quite a lot with motion paths and triggers. It's way faster to build a quality and highly interactive e-learning in Storyline than it is to code by hand.

What do you dislike?

That there's not else statement in the trigger conditions--makes more complex programming a lot harder. I also dislike that you can't use custom fonts for dynamic text. The program has lots of quirks and bugs that I find because I try to push the program to it's limits. Personally, I actually dislike the program because as someone who -can- code things by hand, creating e-learnings with Storyline is boring and tedious. It can take a lot more work to add more complex logic in Storyline than it would to just write a simple script. Sure you can add custom javascript and it execute it with triggers but you don't have full control over the Storyline elements with the custom javascript.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are willing to sacrifice some control for ease-of-use and fast development, Storyline may be a good choice for you.

Storyline lets us create great e-learnings for our clients in a relatively short amount of time. It's so easy that anyone can learn how to use it. It still takes the same amount of time to write and design an e-learning but development time is reduced.

Learning about Articulate Storyline?

* We monitor all Articulate Storyline reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.