ArtRage

ArtRage is a realistic and intuitive digital art program that mimics traditional media for Windows, Mac & iOS devices.

Work for ArtRage?

Learning about ArtRage?

ArtRage Reviews

Ask ArtRage a Question
Showing 55 ArtRage reviews
ArtRage review by Aly N.
Aly N.

"Not the best, but it gets the job done."

What do you like best?

- It's compatible with my Wacom tablet

- It has a good variety of tools to choose from

- The tracing feature for creating electronic images from already made art is SUPER helpful and might be my favorite part of the program

- You can create stencils from your images

- Exporting is easy

What do you dislike?

- It's very basic

- The layout isn't appealing to me, but that's subjective

- It's certainly no photoshop and the tool options are pretty varied, but lacking in a lot of places. In a weird way, it reminds me of an older, toned down Kid Pix.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Check into all the versions available before settling on one. They have sales frequently as well, so see what their deals are around the holidays before buying it immediately.

I just use this program on the side for some design work on Redbubble and other online retailer sites and for transferring drawings I've done into a digital form. If you buy a Wacom tablet, ArtRage Studio often comes with it and that's what I've used—so I can't necessarily speak for new versions.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about ArtRage
ArtRage review by Jakub C.
Jakub C.

"Have fun with painting"

What do you like best?

ArtRage gives possibility to really have fun with painting. I usually use Photoshop for digital painting but ArtRage offers much more tools for loose painting. I love how it simmulate real behaviour of paint on canvas and difference in tools provided.

I also quite like the interface in visual terms - the placement and access to all the tools and color picker is really wel done.

What do you dislike?

It's fun but not that useful as Photoshop - it has much less tools and useful features to become real competition for Adobe product. I found it hard to get used to interface and keybord/mouse actions as I'm really used to Photoshop ones. It's good for fun but I can't really say it would become one of main programs I use for professional work.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's definately worth trying if you only use Photoshop or GIMP. This program is different and can give you some new opportunities for artistic expression. Have fun!

It's gives me good perspective looking on Photoshop. Before using ArtRage PS was the only graphic program I used and it's nice to see that there are so many other possibilities. I use this software rather as a toy to explore new ways of painting than program for serious work.

What Drawing solution do you use?

ArtRage review by Mariana M.
Mariana M.

"Art Rage is a natural canvas"

What do you like best?

I like so much the layer feature, all textures i can manages fronm water color, charcoil, oil painting and pencil hardness. I also like those paper or canvas textures that seem very likely to the real ones.

I preffer to work on my wacom because it has better pressure sense and my hand can move freely.

I got no problems whit the screen enviroment.

What do you dislike?

I tried to work in my ipad and even i have an stylus to make my sketches neater it has a slow responsive to my hand movements. I got frustated tryng to erase some details. I give up with the movile applications for art rage.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You have to considerate that art rage that it is not alike Illustrator, it works on pixel base.

I can sketch on my computer, it saves me paper, ink and it worsk so good with my remote clients. I can make any number of tests about how the ink (oil, charcoal, etc) will react with the canvas i will use in case i get my work on a real hand made one.

ArtRage review by Jenny H.
Jenny H.

"Simple, easy to use with a traditional flare"

What do you like best?

ArtRage is simple and easy to use, it's not overly complex but the tools it has are powerful. What I love most is that it can bring a traditional feel to digital art which has a tendency to look too smooth and plastic. I'm particularly fond of the oil paint brush, you can choose the loading of your paintbrush, it's transparency and how it will blend with paint already on the canvas. It blends beautifully and very realistically. I tend to use ArtRage for building textured and realistic oil backgrounds which I then bring into my photoshop document and it does this very well with a straight forward export function that exports layers.

What do you dislike?

It can get a bit laggy if you're creating a large document and using the more textured brushes, but with devices getting faster nowadays I think that will be less of a problem. Otherwise I have no complaints about ArtRage.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely a great tool for any digital artist, especially those who are increasingly doing their sketch work or rough work on an iPad or other tablet. Its simple and easy to use and very streamlined with a great toolset for a great price tag.

ArtRage is quick and easy to use, great for on the go sketching and painting or bringing more of a traditional feel to digital art. It doesn't have the price tag of similar programs such as Painter and is far easier to use. It's easy to add to my workflow and another great tool to add to my toolkit.

ArtRage review by Victor S.
Victor S.

"Love Artrage!"

What do you like best?

What I love the most about Artrage is how easy it is for users to find every tool and use them freely in a very natural way. The way the strokes are so smooth, and how it allows you to use different mediums and textures is truly a delight and a wonderfully easy experience.

Something I really like is the way you can choose from different types and textures of Canvas, different strokes from the Pen Tool and brushes; and also the way you can trace. This last tool has helped me a lot, mostly because I start drawing on my sketchbook and then I start imagining how it will look digital so I scan it and move on to Artrage for a better and much more professional view of my work that can be used to tell stories of fashion illustrations and personal things across all my social media channels, blog and portfolio.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes I wish more mediums and tools were available or the ones that exist were improved in a certain way, like brushes, watercolors and also maybe my favorite tool which is the Pen Tool.

Mostly client commissions and collaborations for fashion illustrations/graphic design. It has truly developed the way I see things as an artist and the way that my clients see and evaluate my work. We're both no longer afraid to explore with different mediums like digital, which is what Artrage is truly encouraging us to do in a more free way.

ArtRage review by Adarsh P.
Adarsh P.

"I never get bored ! "

What do you like best?

I like how the tools and the colours interact the way they do in real. Its like drawing on a real canvas. Its fun mixing colours and playing around with textures. Other features like stencils is also one cool feature.

What do you dislike?

I would want the interface of the software to be more crisp and simple visually. Right now its looks a bit scattered. It looks like the features have been such put here and there, The lay out and positions could be improved for a batter drawing experience.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for an experience where you get to paint digitally but the interaction is almost real, them Art rage is the best you can use.

I use Art rage for making backgrounds and visuals for my illustrations and animation projects. It really helpful to get a nice authentic look and gives me a wide horizon to explore and experiment with my stokes ans styles. I use it to create different treatments for my animation films and story book illustrations too.

ArtRage review by Matej J.
Matej J.

"Best for natural painting look."

What do you like best?

ArtRage delivers natural looking digital paintings. Leaving bristle marks and paint blobs and knife strokes gives paintings a look and feel that's hard to achieve with other software. Blending paints and mixing tools and playing with the settings offers both versatility and a lot of fun. It's my go-to program for digital painting, be it oil, watercolor or marker style. Sure, it's not exactly like natural paints and materials, especially with watercolors, but it's similar enough, yet digitally unique that it has its own specific character. Which I consider a good thing.

What do you dislike?

I wish there were even more simulated things, for example paint dripping, especially with watercolors.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you like the texture and grittiness of natural paintings, then you won't have a problem enjoying ArtRage. Even digital painters that do the main body of work in Photoshop would combine the process with ArtRage for that unique finish.

Creating digital paintings with a unique surface treatment.

ArtRage review by Lauren M.
Lauren M.

"My first choice for portraiture"

What do you like best?

It is perfect for creating natural looking fine artwork. I love the canvas textures and how they interact with the realistic effect of the oil brush and pencil. The wet media is capable of blending like real paint and the faux 3D texture of the brush strokes is accentuated by lighting within the software. The interface is clean, simple and very refreshing for a Adobe suite veteran used to complex interfaces. It is a surprisingly versatile software when you start utilising the sliders and presents on the tools, allowing you to achieve whichever style of painting you want - be it Pop Art or Impressionist.

What do you dislike?

It is lacking in editing tools so I have to take paintings into Photoshop to finalise them, it can also become sluggish with large canvas intended for print. 4.5 is a big improvement over previous versions in terms of editing capabilities and file sizes. There are no clipping masks or colour adjustment layers as you would find in photo editing software as this is not its intended purpose. Those who rely heavily on these tools will have to adjust to a work-flow with a sense of finality much closer to non-digital painting.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are a traditional artist looking to switch to digital media, or a digital artists looking for a more traditional feel to your work, ArtRage is the perfect choice. The interface is very simple so anyone of any skill level can jump in and have fun with this software immediately.

I find that digital portraits especially lose a lot of style and flare through looking too digitised and sleek. ArtRage gives the artist a competitive edge with its traditional media simulation. It also allows me to creative realistic looking oil paintings with none of the cost of canvas and paints. I can resize the canvas and move things around when I want to change the composition.

ArtRage review by Shannan G.
Shannan G.

"a ready canvas with no need for a manual "

What do you like best?

-its easy to use & with its simplicity can still achieve the same results as a more complex package

-the interface is clean & pretty much self explanatory

-the software behind the brush tools is clearly intuitive

-as an artist in the film & animation industry schedules often allow little time for picking up new software so would often stick to what I already know- Artrage was different as it was easy to try & the results were immediate

-the price is very accessible

-it also does offer the more complex things like layering & lighting effects should one want to push shadows & hi lights should one want to plan an artwork better

What do you dislike?

-the oil brush can leave odd corners/ edges on rotation -but nothing another brush stroke can't clear up. would be great to see this fixed!

-i tend to stick to the tools I use to get quick results so I am not one to try out a lot of what this software offers - so therefore have no further 'dislikes' here :)

Recommendations to others considering the product

its affordable

its quick to learn & get results

great for quick concept art/ development & previz

it has enough of the typical tools an enthusiastic artist needs

it can only get better from here

It's a great package for concept art & pre-visualization

if the creative soul just wants to doodle with a satisfying result

it's quick to accomplish what you need

its a great interface if client is sitting with you while you work

ArtRage review by Ric K.
Ric K.

"I try others, but keep coming back to ArtRage."

What do you like best?

I like the variety and realism of the natural media effects rendering. Oil paint looks like oil paint, watercolor looks like watercolor. I really can't speak to the "realism" of the Glitter Tube and Sticker Spray: being an uptight stick-in-the-mud, I don't use them very much. The depth of features on the Paint Symmetry are a lot of fun, and run a close second on my scale of Awesomeness.

What do you dislike?

My least favorite feature is the proprietary interface. The has become less problematic as the software has matured, and as I've gotten used to it. As a Mac fanboi, it's a bit jarring, and things are not really where I would like to see them, but it's consistent, and works well.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give the software a chance, especially you Mac users. Sure, it has a funny name, but it's worth exploring. The user base offers custom textures, brushes, etc. so you don't have to re-invent the wheel.Give the software a chance, especially you Mac users. Sure, it has a funny name, but it's worth exploring. The user base offers custom textures, brushes, etc. so you don't have to re-invent the wheel.

My main uses of ArtRage are as an illustration tool and in logo design. The smoothing controls allow me to get nice clean lines. I am able to use ArtRage on both desktop and mobile devices, and pull the designs into Photoshop and Illustrator for further tweaking.

ArtRage review by sAurabh P.
sAurabh P.

"The ultimate weapon for the creative ones"

What do you like best?

I like the feel of real colors. I use pen-tab and it's the closest digital software to a real canvas. I'm not very proficient or pro artist, but I love the way it helps me in creating the real paper or canvas like effects. All the provided textures feel so real plus on a real canvas mixing all the different materials won't be possible, but here you can produce various hybrid effects, which will amaze you. Imagination knows no boundary, so does this software. For someone who loves painting, this is best digital ally, one can ask for.

What do you dislike?

There's always room for improvement in terms of skills and the technology. I face few issues regarding the interface which includes menu buttons and palette. Sometimes they come in the way of drawing, which annoys me. There are options like changing the canvas style but I like working in default mode and want a better way to hide/show the buttons.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a really great tool for all the creative people out there. You can achieve the results beyond your imagination. Doesn't matter if you are a beginner or pro in your field, this software will guide you and let you break your creative boundaries.

Except a few things (in my personal opinion) this is a complete package to boost your creativity.

Being a graphic designer, I need to be creative and have to use different approaches for different clients. ArtRage gives me the freedom to create paper/canvas like effects digitally, which is amazing and the results are beyond expectations.

ArtRage review by David M.
David M.

"A decade of ArtRage"

What do you like best?

The elegantly simple interface and the amazing simulations of natural media. The paradigm of this software is much different than other software products available. The tools are set up as simulations of a material (wax, oil paint, chalk, watercolor and so forth) and a substrate ( paper, canvas wood panel, etc). It is the relationship between the nature of the material and the kind of surface that it is being scrapped over ( thus behaving very naturally) that is the key. As an example if I draw with the pencil tool and follow with the basic pallet knife, the result will account for how bumpy the substrate is as well as the media being a dry powdery media. The resulting strokes will demonstrate this by 'acting' like a dry media ( not smearing in a liquid fashion and sticking here and there in the 'grain' of the substrate ). In contrast, if I begin with a heavily loaded oil brush with a low thinners value and high pressure, I will get a thick, buttery impasto stroke of 'paint' with highlights and shadows in the stroke that give it dimension. Now if I stroke over that with my same pallet knife, I will get a smear of paint that gradually thins out toward the end of the stroke and begins to, again, reveal a relationship with the substrate by falling off in obedience to the high and low points of the simulated 'grain' in the substrate. I really could go on and on about the elements of this software that I love, but I'll leave you with this. The first time I laid down a stroke of oil paint in one color and the crossed over that stroke with oil paint of another color, I was astonished at the way the beautiful, viscous, 'paint' blended together, smearing into a new color. I grabbed the pallet knife tool and just started playing. I laughed out loud in pleasure at the experience. The software, by its very nature, encourages play and experimentation. I should also mention that setting up a team of artists with this software is much more affordable than Adobe or Corel.

What do you dislike?

Working with large files with many layers can get sluggish ( although this has gotten better and better- now 64-bit and multi-threaded ). There are no layer masks, clipping groups, or adjustment layers. One cannot select more than one layer at a time ( for stack management ). If you prefer to do your work as 'non destructively' as possible (meaning you regularly use layer masks, clipping groups, adjustment layers, things that don't 'bake' your results) this is going to frustrate you for a while. While you can do very nice photo-editing in ArtRage, I would not select it for that use. For me, this software is my solution for illustration, and concept design.Transform functions on large objects in high resolution with many layers in the stack, require patience. Last, I would say that one of the initial strengths of the software, the very small development team, may be turning into a slight weakness as development has slowed. I believe this largely to be as a result of supporting mobile platforms. Development of the desktop product (the one I use) has fallen off in terms of speed.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Really decide what you need image creation software for. If you need to be competitive in an industry that uses imagery ( games, film, advertising etc ) you are going to need Adobe. Beyond that, if your needs include a call for natural looking artwork, I can't recommend ArtRage highly enough. At less than $50 US, almost anyone can afford to add it to their kit. I will say too that many of the users who regularly populate the forums at ArtRage, are hobbyists, the list goes from children to retirees and crosses major culture groups across the globe. Nearly all levels of accomplishment can jump right in and begin to enjoy this tool set immediately.

In my industry of advertising and entertainment, visual communication is essential. I find that when clients receive designs and concepts that look like they were done on real paper or canvas, it adds a subtle solidity to the visual statements being made. I also find that making the transition between working digitally and with real materials on a regular basis is easy because my techniques are in many ways similar in both. That is good for costs and estimates as work flow remains evenly paced.

ArtRage review by Kumail S.
Kumail S.

"A fun but a tricky painting software"

What do you like best?

The color mixing and the textures are pretty neat. The Canvases are awesome and the feel of paint on the roughness is very cool. Some of the options for reference display etc. is very handy and helps make using the software very fast. The GUI is very user friendly and easy to understand.

What do you dislike?

The color control is totally bonkers. The colors mix but tend towards yellow strangely. If The color mixing can be more controlled It would be awesome. Also badly needs a Calligraphy pen. I personally feel that some of the brushes can be developed more into a more natural feel. Specially the painting knives.

Recommendations to others considering the product

ArtRage will definitely increase your interest in digital painting. I feel its more suited for a rough edgy style and I have attained some incredible results. The brushes work deliciously and with a lovely flow.

I am an Illustrator and an animator. I have mostly used Artrage for personal paintings and my portfolio. I have also used Artrage to develop matt paintings for different animation projects. I have also designed magazine covers and illustrations using ArtRage. Although it would be a good thought if we could animate using ArtRage.

ArtRage review by Emma W.
Emma W.

"Using Artrage as an Animator/ Illustrator"

What do you like best?

I've always loved Artrage's incredibly simple and accessible user interface - you can literally just get painting straight away, so it's ideal for somebody who rarely uses graphics or painting software and just wants to create digital art quickly and for fun. And for those who do frequently use digital painting software, Artrage's powerful tools look so much like traditional media that I'm still always impressed every time I do a drawing or painting at just how good it looks.

What do you dislike?

I dislike very little about the software - occasionally I have trouble exporting images if the canvas is too large, and also it's obviously not as advanged as something like Photoshop in the editing and effects department.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's an absolute must try - so inexpensive and it just looks so outstanding!

For colouring illustrations I usually do turn to Artrage first as I can achieve a really good, individual look in far less time than in other software.

ArtRage review by Awatif B.
Awatif B.

"Love Artrage, very convenient when I can't use real brushes and paint or don't have the time."

What do you like best?

What I love the most about Artrage is that it really does a good job at replicating natural brushes and pens/pencils. Plus, how easy it is to use it with photoshop.

What do you dislike?

When I use the brush (oil brush) and want to write a words for example, I will get a strange break in the letters. I don't know how to explain but it gives an unnatural look to the whole thing and I generally have to go through photoshop to take care of it. But maybe it is just that I don't know how to make it work for me and there's a way to fix that?

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend Artrage to anyone who is afraid of illustration or actual pen and paper. Before Artrage I wouldn't even do hand-lettering but since I got it I use it a lot and even got to experience more with real brushes and paint. So it's not only a software that makes your life easier but it also makes you want to explore more outside of it which I think is pretty cool.

Mostly it will be hand-lettering that needs to be fast and we don't have the time to go through the whole scanning+illustrator+photoshop process.

The main benefit is time and how easy it is to copy and paste to photoshop.

ArtRage review by Tayná M.
Tayná M.

"The freedom and experience of art on paper in the digital enviroment, it's revolutionary."

What do you like best?

I got access to Art Rage trough a wacom product I acquired and, just by that, I had great expectations about it. And I was right about it. Art Rage makes possible to have a full experience of working with different materials and brushes on "real life" but in the digital environment. Apart from that, the rulers are pretty helpful, mainly if the user is a starter on digital art. I would say that Art Rage is awesome for starters and great for experient artists to test the different possibilities of the software and get some freedom from the usual art creation programs.

What do you dislike?

I think that what brings to Art Rage my dislike is the decal section. Its limitation, and some of its features are a bit childish - makes me remember of montages I used to make when I was little on 'Paint'. What I think that would improve the section is make more stickers like the birds, assembling a brush that makes stamps, and not ready and complete draws like the houses.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend Art Rage for its potencial to give freedom to artists from usual tools and the experience it provides with them (the tools).

I think, as I pointed out on the first question, is that the benefits of Art Rage are brushes, materials textures and the rulers and stencils.

ArtRage review by Miguel Angel C.
Miguel Angel C.

"Natural looking painting with enjoyable experience."

What do you like best?

ArtRage is the fastest way to get a realistic looking in your paintings. The features I enjoyed the most is the artist brushes and the clean and spacing of the canvas. The whole screen become your canvas and the set up and position of the tools is very smart.

Take a photo reference with a clip on top and start to painting is a nice implementation of the real artist work.

What do you dislike?

If you are looking for color adjustment, sizing and photo retouch, this software is not the point. If you are looking for best qualitiy printing setup or versatility, neither.

Compatibility with others sofwares of formats, mainly Photoshop PSD with layers is not always well done.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The cost/quality rating of this software is a must have.

When you domain the interface, the speed and ease of using is solving me some hours of hard work in others softwares for achieve natural paintings.

ArtRage review by Troy J.
Troy J.

"Excellent Digital Painting Software to Mimic Traditional Paint Tools"

What do you like best?

ArtRage features the most enjoyable color blending effects I have ever found in digital painting software. Both the watercolor and oil color layering feels natural, effective, and believable.

The interface is quite simple and easy to use for the most part and, especially with a touch screen, is responsive and quick to navigate around your canvas.

What do you dislike?

While the paint effects are very realistic and enjoyable, using the inking tools are a bit less so. The "Smoothing" setting seems to be far too sensitive resulting in either no smoothing at all or, after barely increasing the slider, smoothing that is far too pronounced and results in very unpredictable line control for most inking purposes.

Because of this, ArtRage has to work as a step in my process rather than a start to finish solution.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for realistic watercolor, oil, or other traditional paint simulation in your digital painting software then definitely give ArtRage a try. For the cost it is a very enjoyable tool for experimenting with color mixing and blending.

I have used ArtRage primarily as a space to play with color or blending experiments before moving to other software to produced finished work.

I have enjoyed using its natural feeling traditional paint tools to even try out composition and color layouts before switching to traditional paints after working out an idea.

ArtRage review by Raluca M.
Raluca M.

"Lovely experience with the interface and the app just feels like a creative playground"

What do you like best?

The interface is almost the top feature, being out of the way, and flexible. It also makes for a similar experience for Adobe products, in terms of features.

The app feels like a playground, with all the tools within reach, makes for a fun exploration experience. I used this app before i knew how to paint in Photoshop, and for a while I used it exclusively with nice results.

The tools have better defaults, making it easy to start using it with good results.

The price tag is amazing for what features it gives you.

It also has great traditional like tools, with 3d and humidity paint, and great compatibility with Photoshop (even layer blending modes are similar)

What do you dislike?

It's only a painting software, I prefer using more complete tools like Photoshop because my workflow is not exclusive to painting. Its' not really a downside, but more like a personal preference.

Last time I used it it has issues with larger files containing more layers. The document is humongous, and the performance was a bit lacking.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You can use this happily if you:

Are a beginner, it's a great tool to start with, almost no learning curve.

As a person who doesn't require more bulky and expensive software like photoshop

An artist that likes using traditional tools. These are incredibly fun to use.

I managed to make professional artwork with a very affordable too when I needed most.

ArtRage review by John T.
John T.

"Perfect for achieving a traditional feel to your digital artwork"

What do you like best?

Perfect software for achieving a traditional painting feel to a digital medium, it was the missing link in my process for digital painting, and it works perfectly with Photoshop. The default brushes which come along with the software are great so you don't have to worry about tweaking them or hunting the net for other brush sets, just get in and go crazy.I would definitely recommend this software to others!

What do you dislike?

I wish i could use some of my Photoshop brushes along with the ones in ArtRage. Im not that fond of the layout of the brushes

I was struggling with achieving a traditional painting feel to my digital paintings until i started using ArtRage, now along with Photoshop i get the exact style i want.

ArtRage review by Yuval V.
Yuval V.

"Great for graphic designers."

What do you like best?

I like to have the ability to sketch a thought whenever I don't have a piece of paper and pen nearby. The smooth setting on the tools is very useful as well, it allows me to draw more natural strokes and shapes for my graphic design work.

The 'Pencil' tool is great for sketching a quick drawing with shadows and perspective.

The 'Ink Pen' tool, with the smoothing setting, is amazingly useful for quick illustrations to copy and throw onto illustrator (to continue my design work precess).

What do you dislike?

I think the 'Watercolor' tool is not refined enough to be called a 'Watercolor' tool. I prefer to use my real watercolors.

With Artrage I have the ability to quickly get my idea/sketch onto my computer.

User in Design

"Great software for the price"

What do you like best?

Even right after I received my copy when buying a Wacom tablet, I was amazed by what this product can do. The first thing I noticed and liked (and I still like it) is the way it reproduces the natural texture of an oil brush. Then again, the version of Artrage I first tried was a very old one, and Artrage has added a great range of options since then. I liked the built-in stencil feature, the interface, and basically all the tools it provides.

What do you dislike?

Maybe after you're used to Photoshop or Corel Painter, Artrage may give you some trouble finding all the things you need, but that's not really a problem, since there are tons of tutorials and artists you can ask for help. It somehow reminds me of Autodesk sketchbook, but maybe not that advanced regarding features and options. It's quite intuitive though, but it would be awesome if it gave us a bit more control on the way the tools are working. It's built as an intuitive simple software, but maybe pro-users could activate some more advanced way of tweaking the tools.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I'd recommend you buy it, play with it, and see what it can do. I just went over to the Artrage website, and the version 4 costs 50 bucks only. It's not much at all, and I'm sure that these bucks go to the developers of this software (and you don't pirate it), it would enable them to give even more and better features!

I wouldn't say it solved business problems or brought great benefit, but it surely acted like the fun and creative piece of software it is. I'd say it gives a lot of juice for the money you pay for it, so it's really really cheap, that is a great benefit in itself.

ArtRage review by Julian F.
Julian F.

"A natural, intuitive and satisfying digital art experience"

What do you like best?

My favourite aspects of this program are the intuitive interface and the natural feel of the toolset. The interface is very clean and minimal, allowing you to focus on your canvas without having to look too hard for anything. Panning, scrolling and rotating can be achieved easily with shortcuts or using a circular widget, everything feels snappy and responsive. While having a limited variety of tools, Artrage makes up for this with a very natural experience with each tool. The physics of paint and watercolour tools is particularly satisfying, as is squeezing out tubes of paint and smearing them with a palette knife. My favourite tool is the pen tool which can be used to achieve very controlled linework using customisable smoothing and tapering options.

What do you dislike?

Artrage has certain limitations, such as a limited toolset mentioned before and the ability to edit (cutting,cropping,isolating etc) is not nearly as intuitive as painting or drawing is. Artrage is best used in conjunction with other programs which is made easier by being able export to a variety of formats. The program struggles with larger resolutions and will occasionally crash or hang. Another issue is experienced when working for long periods of time, Artrage can take up a considerable amount of space with cached data which I'm guessing is from thousands of saved states for undo/redo. Restarting the application from time to time solves this issue.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would highly recommend this program to anybody wishing to acquaint themselves with a tablet or tablet monitor.

I use Artrage for commissioned illustration work. It speeds up my workflow because of the dynamic toolset of which a few I find incredibly useful.

ArtRage review by Rajmund S.
Rajmund S.

"Quick to learn, love to use"

What do you like best?

Easy to use, Intuitive interface, nice effects and tools. I was able to make some unique looks, wich would've been not possible, or difficult with other softwares.

What do you dislike?

More professional possibilities, Image editing tools would be good. It would make the software more complex, thus leaving the slick design, but a more customizable palette and presets would solve it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for an easy to learn, very flexible and quick drawing software, wich makes your process slick and streamlined, do not go further. It may lack some features compared to the "big ones" but those you'll only need a few times, and they aren't that easy and intuitive to learn.

I'm an amateur artist

ArtRage review by Yusra M.
Yusra M.

"Facilitative Interface"

What do you like best?

The workspace is very well organized and the interface is quite intuitive. I remember when I first began using ArtRage and skipped through the intro in my haste, I was still able to find my way around the workspace and make a "guesstimate" of where every tool and option would be. This made my life as a newly-digital artist (back then) a LOT more easier. It was almost as convenient as physically picking up my tools from my desk.

What do you dislike?

Nothing in particular. There's always room for improvement so I'd say perhaps more presets or greater format options would be better.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend spending a few minutes exploring the workspace as it offers more than what meets the eye in the first glance and is very intuitive from there onwards.

I work with a lot of startups and social entrepreneurs who order artworks that are very first visual impressions of their brand values. ArtRage's easy to use interface makes it very convenient for me to work with people with varying tech competencies to sketch out our first drafts as a team and communicate our individual ideas for the art effectively.

ArtRage review by Alexandria E.
Alexandria E.

"Great Program for a natural painting experience"

What do you like best?

Artrage provides a user friendly interface. It is not very difficult to learn especially if you have experience with other software such as Photoshop. However this program is different in the fact that it has some built-in presets and tools that are better suited toward creating art that has a more organic and less digital or computerized look to it. It does a good job of replicating a realistic painting/drawing experience in a digital environment. I would recommend to definitely use a digital pen and tablet with this program versus a mouse to get the full overall experience.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing that I really dislike about the program.

Artrage allows me to create paintings and drawings with the expense of buying additional art supplies because it's all digital. For that reason as well, it also does not require a lot of space to create my work, as it would if I were creating on physical paper or canvas. It also allows for easier experimentation or editing of art.

ArtRage review by User in Retail
User in Retail

"An Exciting Canvas at your fingertips, and No Cleaning Up required!"

What do you like best?

Good for painting still life imagery or portraits of family pets or loved ones from a photo reference.

Can import images for tracing and/or reference pics that can be zoomed in and rotated.

Offers a range of canvases and papers to work on that mimic the look and effect of canvases and papers in the real world.

Mediums that you can use, which include acrylic, water colour and crayons, blend together very realistically.

If you are new to using a drawing tablet and find it a bit daunting, ArtRage has a very comfortable layout and offers tons of room for exploration and experimentation. And it remains comfortable to use as your skill with using the graphic pen advances.

Works very well with Photoshop. You can start a project in Artrage, and use the export option to open it in Photoshop, and you will still be able to use the separate layers without any flattening occurring.

I recommend ArtRage to people who appreciate both digital and traditional methods of creating artwork. It's a nicely laid out program that does not come with tons of complicated menus, it is easy to get into, and people who love working with real paints will not feel too alienated by working with these digital mediums that work almost as good as the real thing.

What do you dislike?

While it is good for creating "realistic" looking painted images from photo references or mimicking the style of old masters, I don't find it very good for creating cartoons. For comic style projects you're probably better off using a vector based program, like Illustrator or Flash.

I had a go at using the rulers, but found it quite awkward. I might need more practice. I'm not sure how an artist who does a lot of perspective drawing would get along with it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Traditional artists who are taking their first steps into the world of digital art and drawing with a tablet will find ArtRage quite comfortable to experiment with.

Excellent for painting from a photo reference.

Not too over-complicated.

If you are an experienced digital artist who just wants to try out a fresh project or painting exercise (and you fancy a break from Photoshop) ArtRage is a pleasure to work with.

I have not used this for any corporate projects in a very long time, and I rarely used ArtRage for work, mostly for personal pleasure projects.

User in Design

"It feels like painting in real life without the messiness. "

What do you like best?

I love the fact that it imitates almost perfectly the different styles of painting and drawing. When I first started to draw digitally, I was not very accustomed to other software. ArtRage was great because it is very intuitive. Another thing I like about the program is the way it blends the color - it really feels like the real thing.

What do you dislike?

In my experience I know that saving files in ArtRage uses a lot of memory so I would always have to wait for a long time for my drawings to be saved. Also, I felt disappointed for a lack of CMYK workspace.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a great tool if you are a beginner in digital drawing. And even if you are experienced, ArtRage is an awesome software to experiment on. I developed a lot of my style in it since I began to draw. What I like about it is that it is not expensive - you actually get it for free if you purchase a Wacom tablet (that's how I got it). Keep in mind that it does consume a bit of memory of your PC so I recommend that you take that in mind when you setup your file (size, DPI).

I produced artwork for personal use and commercial use.

ArtRage review by Jess W.
Jess W.

"Pays for itself"

What do you like best?

I enjoy the simple interface design and tool kit. In other programs I would be looking through menu bars and buttons trying to find the right tool but with ArtRage it's all presented up front. Selecting any tool also gives you immediate access to it's customizable options. It help facilitate my personal creative flow in ways previous programs didn't

What do you dislike?

When multiple layers are being used it's render speed decreases dramatically. The more complex the layers become the slower it can get, and I have found myself condensing layers earlier than I normally would on a project just to increase render speed again

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're like me and are looking for a art program that won't break the bank but still gives you the feel of actual mediums, this is the one to choose. It's very affordable, works beautifully with art tablets, and is a fun experience

Ive been able to garner art commissions and projects that would have been more difficult otherwise. Thanks to the trace functions and other tools I can more quickly create projects from existing references from clients as well as draft new images from scratch more quickly

ArtRage review by Suraj S.
Suraj S.

"It's terrific. I replaced Corel draw with this from Day 1 itself"

What do you like best?

[1] Easy to use, intuitive and hassle free colour selection. The tools and colour palette are positioned at bottoms corners thus making it a lot easier.

[2] I've been using artrage from v3.5 onwards and boy they've surprised me with such great updates right upto v4.3(currently using)

[3] I'd never done water colors before Artrage. After using artrage for quite a bit, tried using water colours on paper and it took less than a minute to get used to real water colours on papers. Such realistic is Artrage.

[4] And of course! You've Ctrl + Z now. The single biggest power you craved for everytime you missed drawing a straight line

[5] The screen has minimum options, not overpopulated with tools (like Corel Draw) and is light weight. So doesn't take much toll on your system.

[6] Overall, I've never grown tired of thsi beautiful software ^_^

What do you dislike?

[1] I've used Artrage in Windows & OS X and the results are terrific. Only problem is that you don't have any version for Linux OS like Ubuntu (only workaround is using WineHQ which in itself is a headache task for programmer-cum-illustrators).

[2] Another thing that a bit buggy is using rulers. Sometimes a wrong click somewhere on the ruler makes it take a wild turn and you lose your previous alignment for the ruler you needed.

[3] When I have to make a quick outline of a picture, I use trace & reference. The reference is first of all a very small image and then the drag-n-zoom and drag-n-reposition are very difficult (not smooth at all).

[4] It should think of implementing 'autosave' feature.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you've tried Corel draw, try Artrage once, you'll definitely have a breath of fresh air. And for the first timers to digital art, a definitely goto software as it is easy, intuitive and clean. Also, it is lightweight comparitively

I fulfil my passion of illustrating and digital painting using Artrage. Simple ^_^

ArtRage review by User in Graphic Design
User in Graphic Design

"A pretty realistic painting software"

What do you like best?

I love how realistic it feels when using the brushes and other tools, and how easy it is to learn the program. I also really like the way the paint mixes, and how it allows you to turn that setting off if you want the paint to be dry.

What do you dislike?

I didn't like that the brush size doesn't scale with how big your canvas is. Sometimes you want to paint on a fairly large canvas so that it can be printed larger, but when you do that your brush size doesn't increase with the canvas if that makes sense. So filling in a larger portion of the canvas can become a chore.

I primarily used ArtRage for my digital painting class, but will sometimes still use it at times when I want a realistic painting experience without the mess of the real thing.

ArtRage review by Eldes O.
Eldes O.

"Drawing/painting application with the best interface I have ever experienced."

What do you like best?

- Interface: I can solve everything with the stylus (pen) and is almost never required using the keyboard. You can solve everything with the stylus and is almost never required using the keyboard. This makes it faster and more fluid process.

- Tools: The tools are very similar to the traditional tools by which already I have familiarity.

What do you dislike?

- CMYK: Absence of any control of color gamut to work for printing.

- Memory/Processing: Job for printing (300 dpi resolution) requires much processing and generates lag time to draw or paint. This primarily with some tools (such as Watercolor) and when there are too many layers.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Better drawing/painting application for works with medium dimensions and for working with a tablet.

I dramatically decreases the time for illustration process, producing from rough to the artwork and coloring directly in ArtRage.

"Traditionally digital"

What do you like best?

I like the broad selection of brushes and effects it does to my paintings, like it almost compares to the real thing. It was fun and even if I'm more into traditional, I enjoyed it.

What do you dislike?

It leaned more into the traditional feel. Like when I was using the watercolor brush, the colors kept fading until I can't paint. I had to lift my pen tablet again just like I was reloading my brush. It was cool and all but it was annoying for a digital painting software.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend this for users who wanted to experience painting but afraid to make mistakes and throw tons of money just to buy paint

It was easy to blend colors to create different hues. Rather than setting opacity and flow, I was really painting like it was the real thing

ArtRage review by User in Marketing and Advertising

" Excellent software and cost-effective"

What do you like best?

I love the textures, such as the paintings are with such a real appearance , smoothing the lines although exaggerated sometimes is very useful , the variety of brushes , tools Tracing and Refs are very useful too.

The oil is excellent brushs and the knife is a perfect combination

What do you dislike?

One of the only things I do not like is when I use the watercolor and has dark pigments on the sides, I find it strange .

I can not export the files to CMYK.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I always recommend to my friends ArtRage because it is a cheaper and professional quality software , all you need to work with illustrations and paintings are there.

I managed to do painting work, I would not do with Photoshop.

Now I can do what look like real paintings to my clients

ArtRage review by José S.
José S.

"Awesome tool to achieve "handmade look" and happy accidents."

What do you like best?

I really enjoy the realistic behavior of brushes and pigment, and how you don't have the entire control of the result which is great because it gives a spontaneous look to your work, and that is hard to achieve with other software.

I also love the user interface, it really gives you enough room to work and allows you quick access to all tools.

What do you dislike?

- Although I love the great and original brush behavior of this software I would love to have a better set of customized textured based brushes.

- It is hard to work with it when dealing with big file sizes.

I used I spend too much time o trying to avoid the "digital look" in my work, but with this software I can be achieve a "handmade look" a way fast.

ArtRage review by User in Graphic Design
User in Graphic Design

"Really love it!"

What do you like best?

I love the textured-like feature the most! My painting and drawing turns out effortlessly "dramatic". Like you were doing the real painting techniques but you were also relieved thay you can ctrl+z your painting (or drawing). I'm satisfy with the simplicity of Artrage and I found it really useful. No regrets :)

What do you dislike?

Artrage has a different file format. So I need to re-save my drawing/painting to another format (like .png) if I had to layout/retouch my drawing in another software (like Ai,Ps).

I've been using Artrage since 2010 when I'm doing my Final Project in College. I'm interested do my project manually, like watercolor illustration and mixed media, but such media took really long time to finished. Then Artrage came into my life in the mid of project like a savior.

ArtRage review by Stanisław Z.
Stanisław Z.

"Good drawing emulator"

What do you like best?

- nice emulation of drawing chalk/pencil

- very entertaining painting, and how the colors merge

- ability to import/export PSD

- layers

- UI that is not dull

What do you dislike?

- not so many effects and features as other graphic software

- sometimes, when working on bigger pictures, program can be slow

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is good and easy to use tool for artists that are looking to digitize their visual concepts. The pencil is cool (although I prefer thin chalk as pencil emulator), and watching how paint is mixing on the stage is just fun and amazing. Worth trying.

I could refine my sketches by adding to them some lines and drawing, without loosing hand-like effect and feeling. After that I could place the final work in the video game I made, as concept-arts.

ArtRage review by Charlie P.
Charlie P.

"Rage On"

What do you like best?

I really like the interaction of the stylus with it. It's fast and responsive.

Art Rage is a beautiful tool that's simple to use yet gIves yout a ton of control. And that it integrates with Photoshop is even better.

What do you dislike?

There are a few features that are unnecessary, like stickers, that some make it feel like a kids toy. Just stick to inks and paints!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Pick this up for a change of pace and from whatever else your doing. It's quick to learn, cheap to buy, and produces beautiful results.

I have used it to comp animation backgrounds and experiment with style and color. It's quick and easy to use, supports layers, and it looks a lot like paint but there's no mess.

ArtRage review by Jack S.
Jack S.

"Great program!"

What do you like best?

ArtRage is the best digital painting software I've ever used. The way the oil paint mixes is really amazing

What do you dislike?

The watercolor can lag a bit if you don't have a really fast computer.

Recommendations to others considering the product

ArtRage is the best digital painting software I've used. The sketching tools aren't as strong. It also have a built in video screen capture that is really cool.

I can create traditional looking artwork using just my Wacom tablet and Artrage.

ArtRage review by User in Mechanical or Industrial Engineering
User in Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

"Industrial design professional. I use a combination of ArtRage and Photoshop/Painter."

What do you like best?

Simplicity. You only have the tools you want/need and they do a good job of replicating the look and grit of traditional media. It's like the minimalism of Autodesk Sketchbook Pro with the look of Corel Painter.

What do you dislike?

My personal style also combines graphic elements and technical drawing tools. I wish ArtRage had more graphic tools and and technical drawing support.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a great tool for sketching. Rendering is where you need to make a decision. If your personal rendering style is looser or more artistic, you can probably complete your work in only one program(ArtRage). If you require or prefer a tighter rendering style, you will need to combine ArtRage with Photoshop or Painter to use paths or other techniques to tighten up the line work and render precisely.

I am a designer and solve problems for specific users. Visual communication is the at the heart of what I do. If I can't communicate quickly and clearly, I will not be successful.

ArtRage review by Administrator in Architecture & Planning
Administrator in Architecture & Planning

"Feel free to feel good!"

What do you like best?

When the software is up, the whole mood feels like you've unrolled a new sheet to design, and your pencils and brushes are ready!

When someone uses a software instead of real paper, colors and drawing tools, it's completely crucial not to feel "There is a software i'm using". It should feels like you are working with real tools. While using the software, It's very important to concentrate on the painting. Sometimes the complexity of adjustments and settings disconnect us from concentration.

What do you dislike?

The thing is adjusting the thickness/hardness/etc. can't be just based on numbers! It feels nothing! I think it would be better to make adjustments in a different way to keep me concentrated on my work, rather than understanding numbers.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Considering the personality of artists and their way of arranging tools, using pallets, papers and working stuff, It would be effective if they be able to customize the arrangements as they prefer.

Users of this software are Artists. They get inspire and find their own mood before working. They need to feel it like Personal Studio. This term is beyond the issue of being "user friendly".

ArtRage review by User in Fine Art
User in Fine Art

"Aide pour encrage du dessin"

What do you like best?

Très pratique pour reprendre un crayonné ou dessiner sur une photo en fond d'image. possibilité de faire de bel encrage; Beaucoup d'outils très utiles, pastel, huile, crayons, très réaliste. logiciel très intuitif;

Pour la publicité ou la communication, en général je fais mon trait noir sur ArtRage puis je l'exporte sur Photoshop pour la mise en couleurs.

What do you dislike?

Manque de rapidité si le dessin est trop grand

Recommendations to others considering the product

Très intuitif, Effet bluffant. je m'en sers tout les jours.

Il y a un très bon choix de texture de papier et les réalisations a la peinture à l'huile ou les pastels sont excellentes. j'aime travailler sur ce logiciel et j'aurais du mal a m'en passer.

ArtRage review by User in Marketing and Advertising

"Easiest software I have ever used"

What do you like best?

I really like the user interface. It is easy to use and friendly. Gives a very unique and similar to painting in real. The features and paper textures are unique that are not very much given in photoshop. I like I can impost my sketches and paint over them for a reference. And it works very well when it comes to details. Although photoshop takes time to understand the software whereas Artrage is easy to understand and takes you barely 2 minutes to learn it.

What do you dislike?

The software takes a lot of memory when it runs and makes the computer very slow than photoshop. It has a lot of brush options and layer options but photoshop has more options than it. Other part it that photoshop and illustrator can be linked together so you can work with both vector and pixels where as Artrage does not have a vector program with to link with.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Go for it. It dose not disappoint.

I usually use it for my own personal use than in a professional world.

ArtRage review by Martin N.
Martin N.

"High quality simulation of real Media"

What do you like best?

Artrage is a great addition to any digital artists toolkit. It's a great supplement to photoshop, with its more natural feel, and advanced brush types.

The oil color simulation is great, and colors blend naturally. The different types of canvas and paper, all affect the brushes in their own way.

What do you dislike?

The program handles high resolution files badly compared to for example photoshop. The digital pencil isn't on par with other programs such as procreate on the ipad.

I do digital illustrations of various types. For clients asking for a traditional style of work, artrage with its natural toolset works great.

ArtRage review by Matthew B.
Matthew B.

"Great lightweight drawing app"

What do you like best?

Art rage has some really great drawing tools for those of us that use a tablet, but it doesn't pack in a lot of bloat you don't need. The interface is clean and gets out of your way. I especially like the crispness of the drawing pens.

What do you dislike?

Art rage isn't great for editing purposes, such as cropping, color correction, etc. For these kinds of features I export my artwork to a PSD and edit it in Photoshop.

This is a great tool for creating my illustrations. I use it for anything that requires me to draw.

ArtRage review by User in Arts and Crafts
User in Arts and Crafts

"Very good software solution for digital painters & illustrators"

What do you like best?

I got introduced to ArtRage by a colleague (illustrator). From the first tryout i really liked the paint textures (especially oil & watercolor). They are precise and give a natural look and feel to the illustrations. The brushes and pencils are working smoothly with the aid of a Wacom tablet. One important asset is the transparent layer that gives you the chance to quick-edit an image the way traditional animators do. The color palette interface is also friendly and easy to use. I would overall say it is a software built for digital painters and traditional illustrators that need a more friendly interface than Adobe's Photoshop or Illustrator.

What do you dislike?

The software is kind of slow when importing photos in high resolution.

More friendly approach and user interface for digital painting.

ArtRage review by Asma J.
Asma J.

"I love artrage!"

What do you like best?

I love how close to the true nature of medium it is. Like oils is like oils and pencil is like real pencils and the paper textures are on point!

What do you dislike?

I feel like we can add more paper options right now its limited. Also do not like how heavy the software is :(

I feel like in the digital world this software brings the traditional art style allowing for a good combination of the two. I do hope we can create vector based artwork with this software soon.

ArtRage review by User in Arts and Crafts
User in Arts and Crafts

"Versatile software but not user friendly "

What do you like best?

The media options provided and the various controls that come with it.

What do you dislike?

It is not user friendly compared to Photoshop. Options aren't clear. I cannot import a file and then resize it to take reference. Only option I found was to import file for tracing which imports it in the document size, there is no option to resize it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Photoshop with its brushes is more useful.

I was trying to learn to draw digitally, but couldn't on this software

ArtRage review by Jaakko V.
Jaakko V.

"Amazingly authentic feel"

What do you like best?

Recognizes the amount of pigment per pixel. The magic happens how smoothly different colours will be mixed.

What do you dislike?

Unable to import Artrage files between iPhone, iPad and Desktop.

Colour recognition in copying the paint colour isn't that precise if you pick the colour from existing layer.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want an authentic feel and result, try it! It's eve cheap :)

Definitely the most authentic painting feel compared to other softwares. By ArtRage it is possible to create very big files in desktop environment.

ArtRage review by Nadezhda P.
Nadezhda P.

"Wonderful and very easy to use software. "

What do you like best?

It's very easy for a beginner to get into the swing of the software and a beginner could very fast become professional.

What do you dislike?

I would appreciate if some day more options are included and maybe a faster way of resizing a new layer attributes.

This software is a main part in my work as a designer. I'm sketching almost all of my projects there. Clients are contented, which means that my realization as an artist is also higher.

Learning about ArtRage?

* We monitor all ArtRage reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.