Aspen SIS

3.3

Aspen (SIS) combines multiple databases to track class schedules, school events, student performance, athletic eligibility, and individual health records.

Work for Aspen SIS?

Learning about Aspen SIS?

Aspen SIS Reviews

Showing 18 Aspen SIS reviews
Aspen SIS review by User in Primary/Secondary Education
User in Primary/Secondary Education

"Easy to track student information amongst a large school."

What do you like best?

The live student and parent viewing portal so that everyone is up to speed on student performance

What do you dislike?

Inputing data on a smaller device like a tablet or a chromebook is challenging since little of the screen is viewable; the slider bars don’t always show. Also, the program does not interact with our other major student management program: Schoology. If the gradebooks between the two were linked,

I’d be much more efficient.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have multiple student management systems, check compatibility first.

The biggest problem we have solved is transparency on student performance for students and parents. Previously, most conversations with teachers were “what’s my grade?” Now, however, the conversation is “how can I improve or learn something new?” The other major problem is access to various programs. Aspen has solved this since my administrators are able to imbed links to other programs we use.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Aspen SIS
Aspen SIS review by Brian M.
Brian M.

"Aspen SIS: Total District Solution"

What do you like best?

ability to customize modules to meet needs of OUR district . Very flexible and adaptable.

Constantly adding functionality to make the lives of my 1000 daily user easier and better.

Have been customer for over 12 years and in fact am one of the original users from the opening of the X2-Aspen SIS. The Aspen team welcomes user feedback and they are constant updating and adding tools to solve the needs of a district that can then be used in different ways.

What do you dislike?

Would like to see a better module to share ideas and functionality between different districts. We have something now......but there can be a fresh approach to this.

Good things is if it makes sense, Aspen usually finds a way of getting stuff into new releases.

Recommendations to others considering the product

As a daily user for over 12 years, Aspen has yet to make me even consider a need to switch. The product and whole support team is the total package.

The ability to customize and pull out data sets them apart from others

Have leveraged the base system functionality to eliminate many time and paper wasting processes

Online student, conduct, PD registration, Compliance , State Reporting, Parent and Student engagement, Communications with other systems

What K-12 Student Information Systems solution do you use?

Aspen SIS review by Anthony H.
Anthony H.

"Aspen"

What do you like best?

There is not a lot that I like about the Aspen SIS. The ability to export csv files is convenient, I think that's about it.

It could be possible that I do not have a deep understanding of the system, because I don't have access to many of the features that are listed on the following page.

What do you dislike?

The interface feels very outdated. Nothing seems to be integrated. Almost every interaction feels complex and unintuitive.

I'm assuming that expanding the to have the features on the next page is expensive because my school has chosen not to do so.

No iOS app and the mobile version of the website is very difficult to use.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Find something that is more user friendly and integrates in a more seamless manner.

Keeping attendance and grades.

Aspen SIS review by User in Sporting Goods
User in Sporting Goods

"I use it every day for attendance and grading"

What do you like best?

I love that you do not have to mark students present, you only have to mark them absent. I also like to keep up with grades and I can enter them anytime. The SIS we used to use could only take grades at the end of the marking period.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the system does not work and we have to send a note to the office, this is very rare. With grading, it is not easy to give all students the same grade.

Recommendations to others considering the product

My recommendations would be to go to trainings on Aspen so that you can learn all the features. It is difficult to learn all of the features on your own.

We are solving the technology issues that we have had at our school. The office can now see attendance after teachers enter it. Teachers can now enter grades at any time instead of keeping a paper grade book.

"Aspen/X2"

What do you like best?

The best part of aspen is the ability to filter lists of students in the global view

What do you dislike?

I dislike that aspen does not have a robust information flow system for 1-to-1 schools.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Aspen is really only a SIS, it is not a SLP - nor is it moving in that direction.

Aspen works for pushing grades out to students, but it does not integrate with other products well which is extremely limiting.

User in Education Management

"Aspen is a good tool for teachers and parents."

What do you like best?

What is great about Aspen is that all your grades are in one place and parents can access their son/daughter's progress at a regular basis. Individual student schedules can be accessed as well as personal information on every student. Allergies have a symbol that appears near the affected student's name.

What do you dislike?

Aspen doesn't always calculate grades properly. There can be a discrepancy between online computations and those done with a calculator. Furthermore, many parents in my school often have much difficulty accessing the site and they become very frustrated. When looking to print quarter grades for students, the teacher has to make sure that he/she selects only the quarter that he/she wants since the default is always quarter 1.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are going to use this product, a representative from the company has to be available to give extensive training on the program. It would be best to have that training a few weeks in to the school year when a teacher has grades that can be entered. After over three years, I still have to contact our program administrator to try to help me fix glitches that arise.

Online grading is essential for teacher and parent monitoring of student grades. It leads to more transparency and if a student is showing many zeroes due to absence or work not done, both teacher and parent can be aware and help the student to rectify the situation. Attendance is also monitored and gives the district a picture of each school and its rate of absenteeism on a daily basis.

User in Education Management

"It's all there, but it's difficult to find"

What do you like best?

It's easy to see this history of documents attached to each client. The tabs allow for easy navigation of this history, but looking up each client requires many, many steps to get there.

What do you dislike?

The system is maze-like and requires far too many clicks to reach a destination.

Records retention is simple when it comes to IEPs, but not evaluation reports.

User in Education Management

"I have used Aspen for several years for grading and attendance"

What do you like best?

Attendance works very well using seating charts for input. Seating charts are easy to update. Grading options are very useful and adaptable to my.grading system. I am able to input assignments easily and assign them to other sections without any extra work.

What do you dislike?

Pages log off too quickly. It's for security, but a normal class length of 45 minutes or so would be more convenient. Also attendance options should include "late for class" in a different format than tardy for school. For example, I often have first period students who are late to my class, but not to school. At present, I have to e3mail the dean or call them to update students marked tardy to school, but only late to my class. Also, an entry to log in when students who are dismissed from school leave my room

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend it

I am an end user at a high school in a system which utilizes Aspen. I am not involved in any business activity using Aspen

Aspen SIS review by User in Primary/Secondary Education
User in Primary/Secondary Education

"Aspen in Schools"

What do you like best?

Aspen is a powerful too that can manage many aspects of a school environment.

I like the fact that it can manage teacher personal information in addition to grades, my school doesn't utilize this aspect of the program but it would help the school on a whole if we did.

What do you dislike?

There are some flukes with the software. It also doesn't work well with many student learning platforms that are available.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Work with learning management systems better. Better integration with office 365 and with schoology would greatly improve the software sure for educators.

Grade book, it works well as a grade book so both parents and students can access the information.

Aspen SIS review by User in Public Relations and Communications
User in Public Relations and Communications

"Daily use for student attendance and grades"

What do you like best?

Features like student photos, ability to view student schedules in various forms, ability to merge with other programs.

What do you dislike?

Setting up to post grades is cumbersome.

If a teacher has many "independent study" students, they can't be combined into one class - so attendance takes a long time to do.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Check that all teachers will use all the features instead of using other software platforms and just using Aspen for attendance and grades. It has a lot of great features that many don't use for lack of knowledge.

Student records are available - because I use this and Follett Destiny, student library debts are visible in Aspen.

Aspen SIS review by Erin L.
Erin L.

"Classroom Teacher - 1st Grade. I use Aspen SIS for attendance and report cards. "

What do you like best?

I found the grading system very user friendly. I was able to submit grades after a very simple tutorial at my school.

What do you dislike?

The interface (text, drop down menus, etc) are very small and could be bigger. I would also like to see the standards/skills that I am graded in their entirety.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Very clear and easy to use.

I think the website could be more inviting and engaging.

I would like the option to print individual student report cards when finished with each one.

I am grading first graders on their Common Core Standards. Report cards can now be sent electronically to parents and families.

Aspen SIS review by User in Non-Profit Organization Management
User in Non-Profit Organization Management

"Teacher use of gradebook"

What do you like best?

I like the organization of the grade book attendance etc.

I love that I can link classes together instead of having to add the same assignment to multiple classes.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that I cannot click a student's name in my grade book tab and get the same info I would get if I clicked their name under the students tab. I also dislike that I cannot click on an assignment and add in a comment, for example if the assignment is missing I could click and write in "student was absent for assessment needs to make up by dec. 1". I also dislike that I cannot type in a comment when it comes to progress or term grades.

Keeping grades organized and visible to teachers students and their parents.

Aspen SIS review by Meg S.
Meg S.

"Easy to Use"

What do you like best?

aspen is easy to use, makes it easy to change items and mark grades

What do you dislike?

sometimes it’s difficult to find a student

I use it for my 500 plus students to assign projects and grades.

"Aspen Review"

What do you like best?

More Full-Featured than the old School Max web portal

What do you dislike?

1. Being required to change my password over and over again.

2. Having all the data from any student removed from my class washed away. Makes it difficult/impossible to inform other teachers/school regarding the student's grades/progress upon exit.

I am a teacher using this app as a grading program.

"Good product "

What do you like best?

I like all the form options for printing and saving. I can print progress reports by student, absence reports and select a time frame.

What do you dislike?

There are so many features that I'm not sure I have enough training to get the most out of using Aspen.

We use Aspen for school attendance and grade book. This tool has made the process of collecting the above data streamline and more efficient.

User in Education Management

"not very easy to use, but includes needed information all in one place"

What do you like best?

It contains all pertinent information about students in one database

What do you dislike?

I have heard the upgrade is much easier to use, but we have the basic version that is not too user friendly

It gives parents the opportunity to view their child's progress in school is a quick easy way without having to speak to each teacher

Aspen SIS review by User in Broadcast Media
User in Broadcast Media

"I do not find Aspen very powerful, or user friendly."

What do you like best?

I use the seating charts for classroom management

What do you dislike?

gradebook is very limited and not easily navigated

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't

none

Aspen SIS review by User

"Typical program"

What do you like best?

Types of things you can access about students

What do you dislike?

sometimes hard to find what you are looking for

Organization, student data

Learning about Aspen SIS?

* We monitor all Aspen SIS reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.